PDA

View Full Version : turtlex

turtlex
12-30-2008, 04:19 PM
“My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.” – Steve Martin / The Jerk, 1979

Hello Fellow Tower Junkies –

Your newbie staff member, turtlex, here - all lower case, thank you very much. I'm a brand-new facilitator over at the Manhattan Restaurant of the Mind. It’s my turn in the spotlight so here goes ….

My name ( you know, in the real world ) is Pam and I was born and raised in Quincy, Massachusetts. Quincy, Massachusetts, by the way, is the birthplace of two presidents. I’m required by law to say that. Everyone who was born in Quincy is.

I’m 42 years old and will be for a month or two more, and I’m currently living in Eastern Pennsylvania, a little more than an hour from Philadelphia.

Growing up as I did, outside Boston, I am a lifelong Red Sox fan, and therefore, also a lifelong Yankees Hater. One goes with the other, I have no choice in the matter.

I am the middle child of three and the only daughter. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood, where my grandparents were next door, my cousin across the street, my aunt and uncle upstairs from my cousin, and my great-grandmother, great aunt and great uncle around the corner. Needless to say, with all those eyes, I didn’t get away with much as a little kid.

I am not married on account of the government not allowing that kind of thing. I am, however, madly in love with a woman named Gina, whom I’ve been in a relationship with for coming up on five years. Due to annoying jobs, differing salary zones and employment issues, she lives in Texas and I, here in Pennsylvania. This will change one day, but for now – it’s what it is. She travels a great deal for her job ( she’s a regional sales manager for scientific instruments ) and we see each other frequently. Thank goodness. Incase you haven’t connected the dots, I am gay.

I work as an IT Unix Systems Admin. Computer geeky stuff.

I’ve always been a fairly avid reader and I discovered Sai King by picking up and reading The Stand one day. It was strictly a chance encounter; I believe I liked the cover of the paperback, so bought it. Wow. Talk about Ka. I loved it. Like most people, I had assumed that “Stephen King” meant the horror genre. I was so wrong and so glad I picked up that book. My favorite part of The Stand is Larry Underwood’s traversing of the Lincoln Tunnel. Just amazing writing. It was like I was transported there and took those steps right next to Larry.

I began my journey along the Path of the Beam by chance as well. I was traveling across the country with my cousin and a friend of ours. We were road tripping from Quincy to the Grand Canyon. The drive was long hours and we stopped at a dusty truck stop in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night and happened upon The Gunslinger on audio cassette. It changed my life. We found ourselves driving even longer hours, not wanting to turn off the story. Along the way, we spent hours hunting for bookstores that carried the unabridged second and third books on cassette. Eventually we found them, and thus began my obsession with the Tower.

I love to travel; taking road trips with my girl is about my favorite thing to do in the world. I introduced her to the series on our first road trip ( Pennsylvania to Montana ) and she was hooked immediately. She’s a Tower Junkie now, too.

I collect lots of things, including comic books, comic statues and busts, Dark Tower books, and DVDs. You can see my DVD collection over at my homepage ( www.turtlexicon.com ) and can therefore also see that I love movies. I’m a Star Wars fan and a proud Trekker ( Next Generation is my favorite, Picard is my Captain ).

I feel a bit like I’m blathering so I will just say that I believe the Tower makes itself known to each of us, and I truly believe that Ka Is A Wheel.

And now, taking the sage advice of Jayson, your most recent Spotlightee… I end this small little journey through turtlex-land with …

“Hi. My Name Is Pam. What The Heck Else Do You Want To Know?”

sarah
12-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi ya turtlex :couple: I'm so happy to know you.

What is your favorite road trip stop?

What is your favorite T-shirt?

How did you and Gina meet?

Top three best movies of all time?

Best vacation?

Dream vacation?

turtlex
12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi ya turtlex :couple: I'm so happy to know you.

The pleasure is all mine. :couple:

What is your favorite road trip stop?

Oh, a great question. A couple of things come to mind real quickly. Seeing The Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota ( www.crazyhorse.org ) was amazing. So was seeing three foraging black bears in Glacier National Park. So many others.

What is your favorite T-shirt?

Though I own probably 20 different Red Sox shirts, my favorite t-shirt is a black t-shirt with Daredevil on it.

How did you and Gina meet?

Online. Do people meet any other way anymore?

Top three best movies of all time?

Oh, a hard one. I have soooo many favorite movies.
Off the top of my head :
To Kill A Mockingbird
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
Godfather II

Best vacation?
My first road trip to Montana was great. I'd always wanted to go, and that was a dream come true.

Dream vacation?
Travel around in an RV and visit every single National Park in the US.

fernandito
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi Pam! :wub:

Which program did you use to create your turtlexicon website? Any Dreamweaver in there?

Apart from the DT comics, which series do you avidly follow?

Best 3 PS3 games thus far?

turtlex
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Pam! :wub:

Hey Feev! :huglove:

Which program did you use to create your turtlexicon website? Any Dreamweaver in there?

No Dreamweaver, no. It's - Um, whatever came free at GoDaddy. It's called "WebSite Tonight".

Apart from the DT comics, which series do you avidly follow?

That's hard. Mostly now I'm reading and collecting the DT comics. I love Daredevil though, and started reading about Matt Murdock when Frank Miller was writing ( way back to issue 178 or so ).

Best 3 PS3 games thus far?

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, without a doubt. Rock Band I/II and Drake's are my favorites so far. I just got Little Big Planet though, and I love what I've played so far.

The Lady of Shadows
12-30-2008, 05:16 PM
hile gunslinger and newest member of the ptb! :couple:

just a few quick question then back into my shell.

1. what is your biggest regret in life?
2. what is your proudest achievement?
3. if you could change one thing in your life what would it be?(your life pam, not the world.)
4. what is the one thing about yourself that you don't want people to know?
5. what is the one thing about yourself that you want people to know but they don't?
6. what does the "x" stand for?
7. do you have any concept of how wonderful you are or are you completely clueless of that fact?

:couple:

turtlex
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
hile gunslinger and newest member of the ptb! :couple:

just a few quick question then back into my shell.

Hile! :couple:

1. what is your biggest regret in life?

Hmmm... this might sound odd but I would say that it is getting into the computer field. I kind of fell into it, and have moved up from the bottom. Right now, I have a great job, but honestly, at my age have sort of figured out that it's not my life's calling. I think sometimes if I'd never taken that entry level job when I was 19 ( ohhhhh ) things would be a lot different right now.

2. what is your proudest achievement?

I don't know that I've "achieved" anything noteable. I'm proud that I'm a good enough person to be loved by those who love me.

3. if you could change one thing in your life what would it be?(your life pam, not the world.)

I'd be living with Gina right now, rather than doing the right/adult thing with regards to my job and finances.

4. what is the one thing about yourself that you don't want people to know?

Probably that though I don't really come off that way, I'm really sort of shy.

5. what is the one thing about yourself that you want people to know but they don't?

I taught myself to juggle, just to prove to myself that I could.

6. what does the "x" stand for?

Long story but a friend of mine was writing a college paper on childhood development and needed to anonymize a child's name. She is a comic and video game geek, same as I am and she came up with "turtlex" for the child and then gave it to me. It's part TMNT and part X-Men.

7. do you have any concept of how wonderful you are or are you completely clueless of that fact?

:couple:

Me? :blush: Not wonderful, just me. Thank you though, for the compliment.

Daghain
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi turtlex! I'm glad you're one of my minions now *cue evil laugh*

Just kidding! :D

Questions!

What is your favorite color?

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Paper or plastic?

What was the first album you ever purchased? (and, I'm the same age as you so I KNOW you know what an album is :lol:)

If you could drive any car you wanted, what would it be?

Cats or dogs?

turtlex
12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi turtlex! I'm glad you're one of my minions now *cue evil laugh*

Just kidding! :D

Questions!

Proud to be a minion!

What is your favorite color?

Gray. Odd, I know, but I love the color gray.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

I was in love with Montana before I visited, and now, having been a couple of times on vacation - I would love to live there. It's sort of weird actually, because I consider myself an "ocean/water" person and Montana is all about the mountains and prairies. My second choice would probably be Key West.

Paper or plastic?

Ugh. Well, I'm a hold out to Paper in Plastic. I know it's wrong, but I live up three flights and have chased many a can of Le Sueur peas down the stairs because the bags broke open. I do recycle and re-use though.

What was the first album you ever purchased? (and, I'm the same age as you so I KNOW you know what an album is :lol:)

I do know what they are and I'm afraid to admit ( Jayson please look the other way ) that my first purchased album was Shaun Cassidy's Under Wraps. My memory also tells me it might have been Abba's Voulez-Vous. I'm fairly sure I still have both in an old cabinet at my Mom's house.

If you could drive any car you wanted, what would it be?

GMC Z71 short-bed Pick-Up truck. I've never been much of a car person.

Cats or dogs?

Dogs. I'm very allergic to cats!

jayson
12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi Pam :)

So here comes batch #1 of the music questions...

I know from our previous discussions that you do not play guitar but would like to.

If you could play, what 3 songs would you most like to be able to play? (Assume that you would be good and could play anything, it's only a hypothetical after all).

What is your favorite concert you've attended?

Do you have a favorite concert venue?

If you could see any band/artist live (past or present) who would it be and why?

What was the most recent concert you've attended? Was it good?

Do you have a favorite guitar player? (It doesn't have to be "best", just your personal favorite).

Why is the above your favorite?

If your iPod could only hold one song, what song would you want on it?

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Pam :)

Hey Jayson! :couple:

So here comes batch #1 of the music questions...

Cool bring them on!

I know from our previous discussions that you do not play guitar but would like to.

If you could play, what 3 songs would you most like to be able to play? (Assume that you would be good and could play anything, it's only a hypothetical after all).

So very true. I would love to be able to play guitar. So....

As long as I'd be good, Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover. It's my favorite song from Ah Via Musicom.

Angel from Montgomery, without a doubt.

And Robert Johnson's Kind Hearted Woman Blues.

I mean, if I'm going to be good, why not shoot for the stars!

What is your favorite concert you've attended?

Ah, this isn't easy, but if I had to pick just one - I was lucky enough to attend The Concert For Walden Woods way back in 1993. Don Henley, Elton John, Sting, Steve Tyler and Joe Perry, Melissa Etheridge and Jimmy Buffett. It was a great time and I had pretty good floor seats.

Do you have a favorite concert venue?

There's a really small club in Philadelphia called The Tin Angel that is just great. A place just opened locally called the ST94 and I like that too.

If you could see any band/artist live (past or present) who would it be and why?

I am going to have to go with The Beatles on this one. Why? Because it would be seeing THE BEATLES and honestly, I love them. So iconic and fun and lyrical.

What was the most recent concert you've attended? Was it good?

I saw Idina Menzel in Atlantic City and it was a blast! She's a complete nutcase and put on a great show. She won a Tony in Wicked on Broadway, and was in Rent as well. She's got the pipes.

Do you have a favorite guitar player? (It doesn't have to be "best", just your personal favorite).

My first response was going to be Robert Johnson... but now I'm thinking Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam.

Why is the above your favorite?

If I'd gone with Robert Johnson, the answer would be - Because you can feel every note. Actually feel it.

But with Stone Gossard, I feel like he's loving the music as much as I am. He plays and seems very genuine and real. He is incredibly complimentary to Eddie Vedder.

If your iPod could only hold one song, what song would you want on it?

Currently, I'd go with Eddie Vedder performing "Society" from the Into The Wild soundtrack. I've had days where I leave it on repeat for the whole day.

... and thanks for not mentioning that Shaun Cassidy thing up above! :D

Brice
12-30-2008, 07:14 PM

It is because he is secretly a HUGE Shaun Cassidy fan. :thumbsup:

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM

It is because he is secretly a HUGE Shaun Cassidy fan. :thumbsup:

Secretly, aren't we all ?!?

Brice
12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
I am. It is no secret though. :lol:

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Gee, who could possibly resist this manly hunk of stud singer :

http://images.wolfgangsvault.com/images/catalog/detail/ZZZ009446-PP.jpg

Honestly, I can see why I loved him - He's about the most womanly guy I've ever seen! :D

Brice
12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
:lol: I can!

*hides his complete catalog of autographed Shaun Cassidy vinyl*

jayson
12-30-2008, 07:28 PM
There's a really small club in Philadelphia called The Tin Angel that is just great. A place just opened locally called the ST94 and I like that too.

I love when the answer is a small club. :)

My first response was going to be Robert Johnson... but now I'm thinking Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam.

Interesting that you chose the rhythm guitarist and not McCready. Not that I have anything against Stone, as you know I love Pearl Jam, but when it comes to the two of them, it's McCready's stuff that really gets to me. Still, Gossard is one of those guys that knows his role and excels at it. Good answer.

Oh, and the only Cassidy I am a fan of is Neal Cassady. :P

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Brice, you're gonna need a pretty big tupperware container for those three albums!

Brice
12-30-2008, 07:30 PM
:lol:

There are more if you include bootleg live stuff, Pam...not that I would know or anything. :ninja:

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:32 PM

I love when the answer is a small club. :)

Interesting that you chose the rhythm guitarist and not McCready. Not that I have anything against Stone, as you know I love Pearl Jam, but when it comes to the two of them, it's McCready's stuff that really gets to me. Still, Gossard is one of those guys that knows his role and excels at it. Good answer.

Jayson, I know you would love the Tin Angel. It's very intimate and it's a walk up stage, like about a foot up. The sound system is good and the atmosphere is all about the music. I saw Patty Larkin there, and actually gave her a hand up on the stage so she wouldn't slip.

Yeah, to me, Stone is just kinda the heart of PJ, along with Eddie. Not that I don't love the rest of PJ, but Stone and Eddie to me, are the core.

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM

There are more if you include bootleg live stuff, Pam...not that I would know or anything. :ninja:

Oh yes, of course. The wildly unpredicatable world of underground, bootleg Shaun Cassidy albums. Quite the blackmarket I understand... if you dare look for it. :ninja:

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM

:thumbsup: You've touched my Jack Kerouac soul !

jayson
12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Jayson, I know you would love the Tin Angel. It's very intimate and it's a walk up stage, like about a foot up. The sound system is good and the atmosphere is all about the music. I saw Patty Larkin there, and actually gave her a hand up on the stage so she wouldn't slip.

It sounds a lot like Tonic where I saw Marc Ribot. He had to tap me on the shoulder to get to the one-step up to get on the stage.

Yeah, to me, Stone is just kinda the heart of PJ, along with Eddie. Not that I don't love the rest of PJ, but Stone and Eddie to me, are the core.

That's why it's a great answer. Most PJ fans, myself included, would have said McCready, but Gossard's work is crucial to the sound.

Brice
12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Of course this is all speculative and neither of us have gone through the trouble of hunting it down. :innocent:

jayson
12-30-2008, 07:37 PM

As a fan of both Keruoac and the Grateful Dead, it's impossible for me not to idolize Cassady. Cowboy Neal is an icon to me.

jayson
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Alright, here's another one...

What is your favorite album cover art of all time?

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:46 PM

It sounds a lot like Tonic where I saw Marc Ribot. He had to tap me on the shoulder to get to the one-step up to get on the stage.

That's why it's a great answer. Most PJ fans, myself included, would have said McCready, but Gossard's work is crucial to the sound.

The smallest place I've ever seen a concert was a tiny, tiny club in NYC called the Cafe Sine - I saw Denzil there, small band from the UK. They asked us to move our table so the drums would fit. :D

Of course this is all speculative and neither of us have gone through the trouble of hunting it down. :innocent:

Yes, exactly, I know I haven't, not ever, not even thought about it !

As a fan of both Keruoac and the Grateful Dead, it's impossible for me not to idolize Cassady. Cowboy Neal is an icon to me.

I am a Kerouac nut as well. I went and saw the actual original scroll to On The Road when it was on display in Lowell, Massachusetts a few years ago. It was absolutely cool !!!!!

If you're a Kerouac fan, I highly recommend this recording : Readings by Jack Kerouac on the Beat Generation put out by Verve.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MKSVDT02L._SS500_.jpg

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:47 PM

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine was the first thing that popped into my head.

jayson
12-30-2008, 07:54 PM

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine was the first thing that popped into my head.

Excellent answer. I love the artwork as it's also my second favorite movie of all time (or as I like to say, my favorite non-live action movie of all time).

If you're a Kerouac fan, I highly recommend this recording : Readings by Jack Kerouac on the Beat Generation put out by Verve.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MKSVDT02L._SS500_.jpg

That just went to the top of my "must buy" list. Thanks!

turtlex
12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
You will not be disappointed with that Kerouac cd.

Trust me.

It is, by far, the perfect recording of Sai Jack.

jayson
12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I believe it. To hear him in his own words is something special.

One of the best gifts I ever got was from my brother when he bought me this...

http://i39.tinypic.com/6ozv43.jpg

Knowing my love of Kerouac and Buddhism, it was a can't miss, and I read that thing cover to cover in a matter of days (and dozens of times since).

Brice
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
That's a great book, Jayson! :thuimbsup:

Sam
12-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Here goes the questions.

What is your favorite comic title?

What is your favorite Graphic Novel? (Years ago before book stores started carrying them, I asked an older lady working Customer Service if they sold Graphic Novels. She looked around her, leaned in, and rather sheepishly asked "How graphic do you want them to be honey?".)

Here is one that was asked of Sai King and Richard Russo in Massachusettes:
What is your favorite curse word?

What is your favorite book?

What is your favorite movie of all time? (mine is Seven Samurai)

What's your best Star Wars collectible?

Which statue/bust is your favorite (and Gina's doesn't count)?

Where's the strangest place you've ever had sex?

The funnest?

You are granted three wishes but they must be wishes for you, not something lke world peace. What are your three wishes?

If a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood would a wood chuck chuk if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Are you a regifter?

What do you do with Christmas gifts you don't want?

What do you do when your girl gives you something you don't want?

What's your favorite outfit for her to wear?

For you to wear?

What's your greatest desire?

Who do you hate?

And finally, of all the things that you have done with and in your life, of what are you most proud?

Enjoy the answering.:huglove:

Letti
12-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Pam,
amazing to have you here.
I hope I will have a peaceful day at my workplace and I can read all the questions that have been asked and after that I can pop mine.
:rose:

turtlex
12-31-2008, 04:22 AM
I believe it. To hear him in his own words is something special.

One of the best gifts I ever got was from my brother when he bought me this...

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/cc/a7/1d64225b9da0380159aff010._AA240_.L.jpg

Knowing my love of Kerouac and Buddhism, it was a can't miss, and I read that thing cover to cover in a matter of days (and dozens of times since).

I've also got the box set Kerouac Collection and to be honest, none of the three included CDs can touch the one I listed above.

This is a wonderful book ( above, I grabbed a smaller jpeg for space ). I have two copies because I wanted to actually take notes in one of them. Oops, now that I think about it. I have three. One hardcover, and two softcover. Hee. What a dork I am.

I stumbled upon it one day and it was just a wonderful surprise.

Here goes the questions.

What is your favorite comic title?

Hey Sam!

Oh, just one? I'd have to say my favorite comic title is Daredevil. I've been reading it a long time and it was probably the first comic I ever picked up and just loved. I started reading it when Frank Miller was writing - so I really couldn't go wrong. The Dark Tower comics are in there, and so are X-Men. I sort of like my comics angst-y.

What is your favorite Graphic Novel? (Years ago before book stores started carrying them, I asked an older lady working Customer Service if they sold Graphic Novels. She looked around her, leaned in, and rather sheepishly asked "How graphic do you want them to be honey?".)

:lol: And she was older? Too funny. I would have to say my favorite is Maus. It's an amazing graphic novel. I have an autographed copy that I cherish. Second would be V for Vendetta.

Here is one that was asked of Sai King and Richard Russo in Massachusettes: What is your favorite curse word?

Is "Yankees Suck" a curse word?

What is your favorite book?

This one is a tie and I cannot pick: Jack Kerouac's On The Road and Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. I read both a couple of times a year. They're old friends.

What is your favorite movie of all time? (mine is Seven Samurai)

Oh, no. Don't make me pick a single movie. I've seen so many films and love so many in so many different genres. Ask my favorite musical, or favorite classic, or favorite sci-fi, or favorite Angelina Jolie movie, or comic book film, or Kate Hepburn movie but don't make me pick a single movie! I did narrow it down to three up above, but that wasn't easy!!!!

What's your best Star Wars collectible?

I have an ORIGINAL Star Wars poster from 1977 in mint condition.

Here's a stock photo of the one I mean :
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PF_New%5C262008/3684687~Star-Wars-Posters.jpg

I also have an autographed photo of George Lucas where he wrote : "May The Force Be With You - George Lucas". That's pretty cool.

Which statue/bust is your favorite (and Gina's doesn't count)?

:lol: I would have to say this one of my man Matt Murdock, it's hard to see scale here, but it's more than a foot high :

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/594/medium/DSC02480.JPG

I have photos uploaded to one of my galleries if you wanna see most of my collection : http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=594

Where's the strangest place you've ever had sex?

Newfoundland.

The funnest?

Newfoundland :D

You are granted three wishes but they must be wishes for you, not something lke world peace. What are your three wishes?

1. That my family and friends are happy and healthy.
2. That I'm happy and healthy.
3. That I can someday own # 27 of the signed/limited DT set.

If a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood would a wood chuck chuk if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

19, of course.

Are you a regifter?

No, never.

What do you do with Christmas gifts you don't want?

You know, I have so many interests, it's hard for me not to like something.

What do you do when your girl gives you something you don't want?

She honestly never has. She says she just shops for a 12 year old boy and that seems to do the trick! I'm a real easy person to shop for. Comics, collectibles, video games, books, Legos, DVDs - you know, stuff a 12 year old would love !

What's your favorite outfit for her to wear?

Dungarees, any comic character t-shirt I've given her and her Green Lantern belt.

For you to wear?

Dungarees ( Yeah, I call "jeans" dungarees.. I think it might be a Massachusetts thing ) and my Daredevil t-shirt.

I'm all about the casual and the comfortable.

What's your greatest desire?

To get really healthy and live a long and satisified life.

Who do you hate?

I hate anyone who has ever hurt or abused a child.

And finally, of all the things that you have done with and in your life, of what are you most proud?

I'm proud to still be alive and answering all these questions from you guys! Honestly, talking about myself is not an easy thing for me.

Enjoy the answering.:huglove:

Thanks, for all the questions, Sam.

Pam,
amazing to have you here.
I hope I will have a peaceful day at my workplace and I can read all the questions that have been asked and after that I can pop mine.
:rose:

I look forward to it, Letti. Have a great day !

ETA: I think this is my longest post ever !

Brice
12-31-2008, 06:54 AM

Same here! Only I stumbled upon it when I was broke so I read the whole thing cover to cover in the bookstore that day. To be honest I completely forgot about it till Jayson posted it above.

Here is one that was asked of Sai King and Richard Russo in Massachusettes: What is your favorite curse word?

Where I'm from they baptize you with those words. :lol:

Dungarees ( Yeah, I call "jeans" dungarees.. I think it might be a Massachusetts thing ) and my Daredevil t-shirt.

Yup, exactly! I left Boston at 5 yrs. old. I am lucky. My mom still calls them dungarees. I don't think she could do otherwise if she tried.

Questions now:

What is the kindest thing you've ever done?
What is the cruelest thing you've ever done?
What is the kindest thing anyone's ever done for you?
What is the cruelest thing anyone's ever done to you?

Heather19
12-31-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi turtlex!
So as a fellow MA native, do you ever miss the state?
Do you travel back here often?
Would you ever consider moving back here?

And as for films, who's your favorite director?
Favorite actor/actress?
Could you recommend some good Joan Fontaine films for me (already seen Rebecca, Suspicion, and Jane Eyre)

turtlex
12-31-2008, 08:16 AM

Same here! Only I stumbled upon it when I was broke so I read the whole thing cover to cover in the bookstore that day. To be honest I completely forgot about it till Jayson posted it above.

Both Borders and Barnes and Noble lose more money letting me do the same thing!!! :couple:

Where I'm from they baptize you with those words. :lol:

Ha! Yes, exactly. People outside Massachusetts just don't understand how ingrained loving the Red Sox and hating the Yankees is in all of us.

Yup, exactly! I left Boston at 5 yrs. old. I am lucky. My mom still calls them dungarees. I don't think she could do otherwise if she tried.

I said something the other day at work about dungarees, and got nothing but blank stairs. Then had to qualify "jeans" and everyone looked so relieved. I have no idea what they thought I was talking about !

Questions now:

What is the kindest thing you've ever done??

I have no idea. That's really not my call to make, is it? I ninja'd out some bookmarks to folks here and they seemed to like them. :blush:

What is the cruelest thing you've ever done??

Likely it was make-fun of someone and hurt them with my wise-ass mouth. When I was younger, I was very sarcastic and mouthy and "fought back" with words. I have no doubt some were cruel and hurt people greatly.

What is the kindest thing anyone's ever done for you??

When I was having a hard time as a kid, my Aunt Jean ( my grandfather's sister ) was an oasis of love and safety that I could not have survived without. She was endlessly kind to me. Gina has the same kind, selfless heart.

What is the cruelest thing anyone's ever done to you?

Not going there, sorry. :nope:

Hi turtlex!

Hey Fellow Movie Lover!

So as a fellow MA native, do you ever miss the state?

Very often. I miss my mother and grandparents. I miss the smell of the ocean on a morning when it's about to rain. I miss the accents. I miss people understanding my accent. I miss Natalie Jacobson reading me my news, though I realize she's moved on now. :D

Do you travel back here often?

Not as often as I would like, but I try about once a month for a weekend. It's been more than a couple of months now, though, while I'm thinking about it.

Would you ever consider moving back here?

I would consider it, yes, but right now, that doesn't look like it would happen.

And as for films, who's your favorite director?

My favorite is probably Martin Scosese or Coppola, or Spielberg. Hard to pick a single person. I like a lot of Indy films too, so I see a lot of movies regardless of director.

Favorite actor/actress?

Another hard question about movies. Contemporary, I love Angelina Jolie. She's way better than people give her credit for. Slightly back in time - Jane Fonda. In the classics realm - Katharine Hepburn, without hesitation.

Actor? Hmmm. I enjoy most Tom Cruise movies. I love Pacino, though his recent stuff has been horrible. 88 Minutes was such a waste of time and talent I almost walked out. Dustin Hoffman is always interesting to watch, as well. Kevin Bacon is very good. In the classics - I love Jimmy Stewart, I love Cary Grant ( needless to say Philadelphia Story is a favorite of mine ). And of course, we musn't forget Spencer Tracy.

Could you recommend some good Joan Fontaine films for me (already seen Rebecca, Suspicion, and Jane Eyre)

Well, those are the bigs for sure. Have you ever seen Gunga Din? It's a classic starring Cary Grant and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Joan Fontaine has a small role. It's a great film. Speaking of Joan, have you ever seen many films starring Olivia de Havilland? Olivia is Joan's sister.

Heather19
12-31-2008, 08:43 AM
I said something the other day at work about dungarees, and got nothing but blank stairs. Then had to qualify "jeans" and everyone looked so relieved. I have no idea what they thought I was talking about !
:lol: I don't think my grandma even knows the word jeans!

Well, those are the bigs for sure. Have you ever seen Gunga Din? It's a classic starring Cary Grant and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Joan Fontaine has a small role. It's a great film. Speaking of Joan, have you ever seen many films starring Olivia de Havilland? Olivia is Joan's sister.

Thanks, I'm going to check it out.
And I'm ashamed to admit, I don't think I've seen a single one of Olivia's films. I've got alot of catching up to do.

turtlex
12-31-2008, 08:56 AM
:lol: I don't think my grandma even knows the word jeans!

Exactly my point !!

Thanks, I'm going to check it out.
And I'm ashamed to admit, I don't think I've seen a single one of Olivia's films. I've got alot of catching up to do.

Gunga Din is a good, fun film. I think you'll enjoy it.

No shame, but you need to go grab The Adventures of Robin Hood and Captain Blood - both co starring de Havilland and Errol Flynn. They have a great chemisty together. Then, of course, there's Gone With The Wind where Livvy played Melanie.

alinda
12-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi Pam right now I am reading page one, and between the tears , and the laughter, may I say I'm honored to know such a soul as you, No question about it. :couple:
Maybe I think of a question later but for now...wow ,your one cool chick! :D

turtlex
12-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Awww. Thank you, Linda, so very much. :couple:

jayson
12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Ha! Yes, exactly. People outside Massachusetts just don't understand how ingrained loving the Red Sox and hating the Yankees is in all of us.

And you don't think those of us that grew up in and around NY learned at a very young age to hate the Red Sox? I know I did. Chanting "Red Sox Suck" at Yankee Stadium was one of my first memories of live sporting events. I was 8 when Bucky Dent hit that home run in the extra game in '78. It was one of the defining moments of my sports fandom. I learned very early that the Red Sox were the enemy.:shoot:

Heather19
12-31-2008, 09:15 AM
No shame, but you need to go grab The Adventures of Robin Hood and Captain Blood - both co starring de Havilland and Errol Flynn. They have a great chemisty together. Then, of course, there's Gone With The Wind where Livvy played Melanie.

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out.

turtlex
12-31-2008, 09:16 AM

And you don't think those of us that grew up in and around NY learned at a very young age to hate the Red Sox? I know I did. Chanting "Red Sox Suck" at Yankee Stadium was one of my first memories of live sporting events. I was 8 when Bucky Dent hit that home run in the extra game in '78. It was one of the defining moments of my sports fandom. I learned very early that the Red Sox were the enemy.:shoot:

Yankees fans hate the Red Sox?!? Actually Jayson... I rely on it !!! The Red Sox fans can't have a one way hate thing without having the give-back hate from the Yankees fans. You're the Yin to our Yang!

Hey! You're not allowed to speak the "D"word in my thread!

One of my favorite sports moments, besides the Red Sox winning the series in 2004 - at the SUPER BOWL WIN celebration for the New England Patriots a couple of years back... at the Welcome Home rally for the team in Boston. A chant of "Yankees Suck" broke out and lasted for like 10 minutes. And that was at a Patriots rally!

turtlex
12-31-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out.

Let me know what you think after you've had a chance to watch.

jayson
12-31-2008, 09:28 AM

Hey, at least I didn't say Bill Buckner. (I'm a Mets fan too :evil:)
I actually had the chance to meet Dent (as well as a ton of other ex-Yankees) when I worked at a restaurant owned by Mr. Steinbrenner. Once he found out I was a Yankees fan he used to delight in introducing me to former players and managers. He liked that he never had to tell me who was who because I recognized every last one of them.

One of my favorite sports moments, besides the Red Sox winning the series in 2004 - at the SUPER BOWL WIN celebration for the New England Patriots a couple of years back... at the Welcome Home rally for the team in Boston. A chant of "Yankees Suck" broke out and lasted for like 10 minutes. And that was at a Patriots rally!

That's pretty funny. I love that rivalry.
Of course, as I believe I've said before, the proper response from a Yankees fan to smack-talk from Red Sox fans is "talk to me when you win 20 more World Series titles" :P

Ok, so on the subject of sports, here are a few more questions for you...

What is the best sporting event you've gotten to see live?

What is the best sporting even you've gotten to see in your lifetime (not necessarily live, on tv counts for this one)?

What moment in sports history do you wish you could have seen live (this could be from before your time if you so choose)?

turtlex
12-31-2008, 09:38 AM

Hey, at least I didn't say Bill Buckner. (I'm a Mets fan too :evil:)

Wow, there's a mean streak in you Jayson. Now OUT OF MY THREAD! :D

How dare you speak the name of "he who cannot bend at the knees" ! Oh, how that play broke my heart.

I actually had the chance to meet Dent (as well as a ton of other ex-Yankees) when I worked at a restaurant owned by Mr. Steinbrenner. Once he found out I was a Yankees fan he used to delight in introducing me to former players and managers. He liked that he never had to tell me who was who because I recognized every last one of them.

That's pretty funny. I love that rivalry.
Of course, as I believe I've said before, the proper response from a Yankees fan to smack-talk from Red Sox fans is "talk to me when you win 20 more World Series titles" :P

See, what you Yankee fans don't understand is that as a Red Sox fan, we don't care about the 20. We are still in shock over the last 2. And no matter what, you can't take those away from us. Squeeeeee !

Ok, so on the subject of sports, here are a few more questions for you...

What is the best sporting event you've gotten to see live?

I haven't been to many sporting events, unfortunately, and only two Red Sox games when I was very young. It's impossible to get tickets.

I'd have to say my favorite event was seeing Martina Navratilova play in the Virginia Slims final one year at MSG. She kicked arse and took names!

What is the best sporting even you've gotten to see in your lifetime (not necessarily live, on tv counts for this one)?

Easy. Hands down watching the Red Sox win the Series in 2004. I cried like a baby.

What moment in sports history do you wish you could have seen live (this could be from before your time if you so choose)?

Easy. Hands down, I'd have given just about anything to see the 2004 final game of the World Series. To have been there in person, that must have been amazing.

My second would be Carlton Fisk's homer in 1975. "Pudge" is my favorite player of all time and I would have loved to have been there to see him wave that ball fair !!!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/Ssport/FISKPHU016000~Carlton-Fisk-1975-World-Series-Home-Run-Posters.jpghttp://mlb.mlb.com/ws/photo/history/ws_fisk_1975_288x235.jpghttp://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2007/10/19/1192820900_2487.jpg

alinda
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
I know nothing about sports and the game of baseball in particular( say sorry) , but I am getting quite the education from you guys here.:lol:

jayson
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM

I'm a native New Yorker, I can't help myself. :)

See, what you Yankee fans don't understand is that as a Red Sox fan, we don't care about the 20. We are still in shock over the last 2. And no matter what, you can't take those away from us. Squeeeeee !

That's ultimately what I like most about it, the admission that Red Sox fans didn't expect the Sox to win and are still somewhat surprised that they did. Yankees fans expect them to win the Series every year. I know I do.

Good call on Fisk's home run. That's one of the most iconic images in sports. Despite my loathing of the Sox, I'd have nonetheless loved to have seen that live.

Brice
12-31-2008, 09:52 AM
I am not even a baseball fan at all...just a red sox fan. :D

obscurejude
12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Hey Turtlex. Thank you for being cool and congratulations. :couple:

What drew you to the Call of Duty games?

Do you ever feel bad that you enjoy simulated warfare so much?

Are you a sony fangirl? If so, why?

What is the worst thing you've done because you were immensely frustrated with a video game?

How long have you been a gamer?

Do you run into the Amish in your neck of the woods? How do you feel about them? Do they ever challenge your views on modernity?

turtlex
12-31-2008, 09:59 AM

I'm a native New Yorker, I can't help myself. :)

That's ultimately what I like most about it, the admission that Red Sox fans didn't expect the Sox to win and are still somewhat surprised that they did. Yankees fans expect them to win the Series every year. I know I do.

Good call on Fisk's home run. That's one of the most iconic images in sports. Despite my loathing of the Sox, I'd have nonetheless loved to have seen that live.

Surprised? I was shocked! After so many close-calls, should have wons, wha'happened's - actually getting that win.... I expected the world to stop spinning on it's axis!

Pudge was awesome. Broke my heart when he left the team, but I was soooo thrilled that he went to the Hall of Fame in his Red Sox uniform.

I am not even a baseball fan at all...just a red sox fan. :D

Ditto. :couple:

Linda, you can be a Red Sox fan too!

turtlex
12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Hey Turtlex. Thank you for being cool and congratulations. :couple:

Hey Bud! Um, I'm not cool... that's Jayson's thread you're thinking about.

What drew you to the Call of Duty games?

Actually, my friend Kelly told me it was great fun and we could play against each other and with each other online. That's all I needed to hear.

Do you ever feel bad that you enjoy simulated warfare so much?

Nope. That's what it's there for. It's a game people! Actually, I find that I can now identify most weapons I see on the news. "Oh, that's M4 with ACOG". You should see the looks my girlfriend gives me! :D

Are you a sony fangirl? If so, why?

Yep. Sorry to say, I sure am. Actually, it goes back to Tomb Raider. TR used to be a Sony exclusive and TR was my favorite series. I had to go Sony or no Lara. And honestly... what is a world without Lara Croft?!?

What is the worst thing you've done because you were immensely frustrated with a video game?

Broke a controller throwing it down on the floor. Not so bad, really.... One word : UPGRADE !

How long have you been a gamer?

As long as I can remember. We had Pong. We had Atari 2600, then Collecovision, etc.

Do you run into the Amish in your neck of the woods? How do you feel about them? Do they ever challenge your views on modernity?

Actually, where I am there are more Mennonites than Amish. I'm a real live and let live kinda person. I try not to bother the locals too much and they keep to themselves. :D

obscurejude
12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
I wasn't implying that you should feel bad about a game, I was just curious if you ever had. I'm very curious about why I like playing Call of Duty so much, but I'm a real introspective person.

I recognize the guns too and have had some interesting conversations with hunters. I don't tell them that I don't hunt or that my knowledge comes from video games until the end of the conversation. :lol:

Brice
12-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Actually, where I am there are more Mennonites than Amish. I'm a real live and let live kinda person. I try not to bother the locals too much and they keep to themselves. :D

Yeah, I've spent quite a bit of time in that part of the country and both the Mennonites and the Amish are totally nonconfrontational and pretty much stick to themselves. I've never met one that challenged anyone on their beliefs (or lack thereof) at all.

obscurejude
12-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Yeah, I've spent quite a bit of time in that part of the country and both the Mennonites and the Amish are totally nonconfrontational and pretty much stick to themselves. I've never met one that challenged anyone on their beliefs (or lack thereof) at all.

"Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words." -St. Francis of Assisi

I mean this quote in a very general and non confrontational way. :D

jayson
12-31-2008, 10:20 AM

Perhaps you don't realize it, but you are all kinds of cool. :)

obscurejude
12-31-2008, 10:21 AM

Diddo that.

Randall Flagg
12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
“My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.” – Steve Martin / The Jerk, 1979

Hey, you stole that line from my profile.:evil:

As a condemned woman, you get to choose your final meal. Appetizer, entree, dessert, and a non-alcoholic beverage. Choices?

Preferred sleeping position?

Water bed or mattress?

Bong, or Zig Zags?

Lava light or black light?

If given the chance to go to Mars, knowing you'd be gone for over 5 years, would you leave everything and everyone you know and love?

turtlex
12-31-2008, 11:00 AM
I wasn't implying that you should feel bad about a game, I was just curious if you ever had. I'm very curious about why I like playing Call of Duty so much, but I'm a real introspective person.

I didn't take it that way, don't worry. :couple: I have actually been asked that exact question before and that's why I responded the way I did. Sorry, but like it or not, when you're on a team or playing a game, and you win - it's fun. I don't care if it's with a M4 or with a sword.

You know, no one ever asked about games where you're using a sword as a weapon. I think it's the weapons that make people uncomfortable. The realism.

Personally, with a little thought on it - COD is very interactive, and it's TEAM oriented, which makes you get even more involved. You're responsible for other people playing with you. I think that makes it even more compelling.

Honestly, aside from grocery stores, the Amish and Mennonite are very solitary with their own families and friends.

Um, yeah, totally don't feel anything close to "cool".

Diddo that.

Thank you, but again, not so much with the feeling that way.

Hey, you stole that line from my profile.:evil:

No, but great minds do think alike!

As a condemned woman, you get to choose your final meal. Appetizer, entree, dessert, and a non-alcoholic beverage. Choices?

Appetizer : Asian dumplings with peanut sauce from Ruby Tuesdays.
Entree : "Cowboy Breakfast" - Steak, toast, and home fries.
Dessert : Not much of a dessert person. Since it's my last meal, I'll have some McDonalds fries with Heinz, not Hunts, ketchup.
Non-Alcoholic Beverage : Ice Cold Pepsi

Preferred sleeping position?

With my girl. :D

Water bed or mattress?

Mattress, always. Water Beds sort of scare me - I'm sure it will pop, water will flood my apartment and my books will be ruined!

Bong, or Zig Zags?

Sorry... Asthmatic. Could never partake, without an attack.

Lava light or black light?

Lava light. How mesmerizing.

If given the chance to go to Mars, knowing you'd be gone for over 5 years, would you leave everything and everyone you know and love?

I have to say "Yes". I used to dream of being an Astronaut when I was 11, until I found out that you really can't go to the moon when you can barely breathe properly walking up the stairs.

Thanks for the questions, Jerome... Wait! No FMK ?

Randall Flagg
12-31-2008, 11:13 AM
FMK:

Pink
Angelina Jolie
Britney Spears

Darkthoughts
12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey Pam :couple:

I gotta think of some good questions! :lol: But for now - does a comic have to have good artwork for you to fully enjoy it? Or does more unconventional art, as in say Alan Moore's From Hell, not bother you?

turtlex
12-31-2008, 12:04 PM
FMK:

Pink
Angelina Jolie
Britney Spears

:lol: "I say it here, it comes out there." Albert Brooks/Broadcast News

F - Pink
M - Angelina Jolie ( since this is marriage, I assume it means some F as well )
K - Britney

Hey Pam :couple:

I gotta think of some good questions! :lol: But for now - does a comic have to have good artwork for you to fully enjoy it? Or does more unconventional art, as in say Alan Moore's From Hell, not bother you?

'ello, me mate! ( my best UK accent )

I like a lot of different kinds of comics, but "good" artwork does definitely add to my loving a comic. Without a doubt.

I enjoyed Moore's V for Vendetta which is more comic-like in it's artwork, but I don't dislike the From Hell artwork.

If I had to pick, I'd take a Jae Lee or Lee Bermejo drawn comic over something like Moore's From Hell, but only if I had to pick.

I like a good story and engaging characters most of all.

Looking forward to your "good" questions, though I thought that one was pretty darned good.

Darkthoughts
12-31-2008, 12:07 PM
:D I thought it was a good 'un, I was debating it with my Dad a while ago, after he refused to buy me From Hell for my birthday because he thought the artwork was "rubbish" :nope:

Personally, I have the same opinion as you on the subject.

So, cheers me old mucker, when I rattle some more questions out me old noggin, you should be chuffed to bits (my worst Britsh accent :lol: )

turtlex
12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Just a warning... I love accents and I'm sure if I ever visit the UK... I will have adopted a UK accent by the time the plane lands at Heathrow!

Odetta
12-31-2008, 05:42 PM
What is your middle name?

Most embarrassing moment?

razz
12-31-2008, 06:17 PM
no questions for you, I just applaud your awesomeness.

turtlex
01-01-2009, 11:46 AM
What is your middle name?

Most embarrassing moment?

Hi Odetta!

My middle name is Jean. Named after my Aunt ( my grandfathers sister ). I am very proud to have been named after her.

Most embarrassing moment - Let's see, my mother dragged me to a Bingo hall once when I was probably 15 or so. I didn't want to go at all, but she insisted I go and play. I wasn't really paying attention and thought I'd had a "bingo" and yelled it out ... only to realize I did NOT have bingo and the entire place was looking at me and I felt about this big. I was motified. Needless to say, never been back.

no questions for you, I just applaud your awesomeness.

Why thank you, razzle dazzle, you're very sweet.

Happy New Year everyone!

May this be a year of good health and happiness for us all ! Plus, you know, lots of cool comics and wonderful collectibles. :D

jayson
01-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Alright Pam, I always enjoy talking to you about music, so here are a few more music questions based on some artists I know you and I both like. It'll be fun to compare/contrast our thoughts on some of these.

What is your favorite Beatles album? Why?

What is the "best" Beatles album? Why? Always interesting to see if these are the same.

What is your favorite Beatles song? Yes, you have to narrow it down to 1 as hard as that may be.

Were/are you a fan of any of the Beatles' post-Beatles careers? Anything specific in that stuff you really like?

What is your favorite Elton John album?

Fav Elton John song?

Fav Pearl Jam album?

Fav Pearl Jam show? (since I know you have a vast knowledge of their live stuff)

If you could see Pearl Jam anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?

I guess that's it for now. I suspect there will be plenty of room for follow-up questions on the above.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of this stuff. I already really thought highly of the mods that had done this before for what I perceived as a lot of time and thought in doing these threads, but until I did my own, I had no idea how much time and thought really goes into this. Thanks for yours. It's great to get to know more about you. :)

turtlex
01-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Alright Pam, I always enjoy talking to you about music, so here are a few more music questions based on some artists I know you and I both like. It'll be fun to compare/contrast our thoughts on some of these.

I enjoy it as well. :D

What is your favorite Beatles album? Why?

This is hard. I would have to say it's The White Album. Kind of a cheat since it's a double. Hee hee.

What is the "best" Beatles album? Why? Always interesting to see if these are the same.

Magical Mystery Tour was my first thought, but I'm going to change my answer to Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Peppers was just phenominal in production value, in theme and in imagination. Perhaps the first concept album, it actually changed the way people listen to music. You know, as in, listen to the whole album, in order, and it's a story unto itself.

Plus, just great music.

What is your favorite Beatles song? Yes, you have to narrow it down to 1 as hard as that may be.

Actually, this isn't too hard for me. Let It Be. I love the music, I love the lyrics and I love the sentiment.

There are so many great Beatles songs, but this is the one that first popped into my head.

Were/are you a fan of any of the Beatles' post-Beatles careers? Anything specific in that stuff you really like?

Such a talented group of lads! How can you not love them as solo artists - Fav's follow :

John Lennon, Imagine. Probably kind of a cliche' now, but I love that song. Paul McCartney and Wings, Band On The Run. George Harrison, My Sweet Lord or the Traveling Wilbury's End Of The Line.

Gosh, I can't think of a single Ringo tune though. Sad. :(

What is your favorite Elton John album?

Honky Chateau.

Fav Elton John song?

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters

Fav Pearl Jam album?

Live at Benaroya Hall

Fav Pearl Jam show? (since I know you have a vast knowledge of their live stuff)

I'll pick from just the released "official bootlegs", otherwise I'd pick "Live at Benaroya Hall" above.

From the bootlegs, Jones Beach 8/25/2000 is probably my favorite.

If you could see Pearl Jam anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?

Oh, lets say any club, in any state, but the club must only "seat" about 200 people and it must be packed with other Pearl Jam fans and Eddie must do some solo stuff.

I guess that's it for now. I suspect there will be plenty of room for follow-up questions on the above.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of this stuff. I already really thought highly of the mods that had done this before for what I perceived as a lot of time and thought in doing these threads, but until I did my own, I had no idea how much time and thought really goes into this. Thanks for yours. It's great to get to know more about you. :)

Thank you, Jayson. It's hard for me, honestly, but I feel that we're a community here, and friends ultimately, so that makes it so much easier!

jayson
01-01-2009, 12:56 PM
This is hard. I would have to say it's The White Album. Kind of a cheat since it's a double. Hee hee.

An excellent choice. Probably the best example of the what the future would hold as so much of this plays as a glimpse into their solo careers as they filled it with mostly material they had written individually and used each other as session musicians. A lot of people are upset with that period because it had so much tension between the band, and that part did lead to their eventual dissolution, but I think it also produced so much great songwriting, especially the evolution of George as a songwriter. Much of what was later on All Things Must Pass was worked on in the White Album sessions, though much of it sounds a lot different.

Peppers was just phenominal in production value, in theme and in imagination. Perhaps the first concept album, it actually changed the way people listen to music. You know, as in, listen to the whole album, in order, and it's a story unto itself.

I hear that a lot, but I've never really heard a good answer for what the concept is. I think it's innovative and reflective of the dawn of the so-called "psychedelic era" (though not as much as its twinner that year, Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn). Still, I've never realized a specific concept that carries from song to song. Clinton Heylin wrote an amazing book on the album and it's place in time and really put it in context. I think you would love it.

Amazon.com: The Act You've Known for All These Years: A Year in the Life of Sgt. Pepper and Friends: Clinton Heylin: Books

Gosh, I can't think of a single Ringo tune though. Sad. :(

It Don't Come Easy and Photograph are not the greatest songs in the world, but they were both co-written by George so they still sound Beatle-esque as far as guitar stuff goes. Ringo plays a nice version of the former with George and Friends at the Concert For Bangladesh.

As far as his Beatles' work, he's a highly underrated drummer.

Honky Chateau.

Excellent choice. Chronologically, the last one I really like.

Oh, lets say any club, in any state, but the club must only "seat" about 200 people and it must be packed with other Pearl Jam fans and Eddie must do some solo stuff.

That sounds awesome. Get me tickets.

Thank you, Jayson. It's hard for me, honestly, but I feel that we're a community here, and friends ultimately, so that makes it so much easier!

Definitely. :grouphug:

The Lady of Shadows
01-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Fav Elton John song?

:wub: this song. you don't even want to know its play count on my ipod (or in itunes for that matter).
definitely one of his most underrated and undernoticed songs. ever.

jayson
01-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Fav Elton John song?

:wub: this song. you don't even want to know its play count on my ipod (or in itunes for that matter).
definitely one of his most underrated and undernoticed songs. ever.

agreed on all counts t/s and a fine choice by pam. one of my top 5 for sure.

turtlex
01-01-2009, 02:16 PM
re : Peppers. I think the "concept" is simply we're going to take on a sort of otherness here. Like the Boys were saying - we're going to sing as characters, and tell stories and not just sing "he loves you, ya ya ya". I also love all the speculation on the art and the Billy Sears stuff.

I think Ringo is a great drummer, I was looking for song choices as a solo artist and couldn't really think of a single one.

Um, turtlex is not a Pink Floyd fan. At all.

Thanks for the booklink, I've added it to my WishList.

Jayson and t/song - Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters is part of three different playlists of mine and is right up there with repeat plays. I love this song. I have a great version of it by the Indigo Girls as well.

Since Elton and Billy Joel are touring together again in 2009 - I hope to catch Mr.Rocketman live sometime this year, and I'm hoping he does Monas Lisas!

jayson
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
re : Peppers. I think the "concept" is simply we're going to take on a sort of otherness here. Like the Boys were saying - we're going to sing as characters, and tell stories and not just sing "he loves you, ya ya ya". I also love all the speculation on the art and the Billy Sears stuff.

It is like that, but I think they'd already achieved that with much of the second half of Rubber Soul and certainly on most of Revolver. Pepper is the natural evolution of that trend, and a good record, but I'm not sure of the "concept album" label for it.

Thanks for the booklink, I've added it to my WishList.

I hope you'll enjoy it when you eventually read it. Looking forward to it

turtlex
01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Gee, maybe I'll just have to give Peppers another listen through and then maybe I could explain it better.

Gosh, the things I do for friends. :D :couple:

jayson
01-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, that must be tough having to listen to the Beatles. Gosh I feel for ya. :P

turtlex
01-01-2009, 04:10 PM
It's a burden I will bear. :P

obscurejude
01-01-2009, 06:11 PM

I actually spent many hours today listening to the fab four. It was really difficult. :P