PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Come

Sam
12-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Not a discussion really just wanted to post some pics of a Christmas gift. A signed, hardcover copy of Kingdom Come, one of the greatest stories told in comicdom and the best tale produced by DC comics.
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/scgriz/HPIM0858.jpg
And the signature.
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/scgriz/HPIM0861.jpg

Cool huh.

Míchéal
12-25-2008, 05:12 PM
sexy man... jealous is me

turtlex
12-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Very cool, Sam !!!

And you're right - it's an amazing story and the Alex Ross art is fantastic.

How big is the book? An oversized coffee-table size? Looks fantastic !

Sam
12-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Not coffee table size, say sorry. It's the size of a normal trade paperback. It just looks a lot cooler.:excited:

turtlex
12-26-2008, 06:49 PM
It does look sweet!
Congrats again !

<--- Jealous turtle !

flaggwalkstheline
12-26-2008, 08:54 PM
alex ross is the greatest comicbook artist ever
comparing his pictures (and i use the word hesitantly) to anyone else's makes the other artist look like a caveman scratching on a wall in comparison

Arthur Heath
12-26-2008, 09:24 PM
alex ross is the greatest comicbook artist ever
comparing his pictures (and i use the word hesitantly) to anyone else's makes the other artist look like a caveman scratching on a wall in comparison

I would go with that, mostly. The coolest aspect of this piece of work is that its signed by Waid. And I would consider this my favorite work of his.
Great score. You'll have to go to a con and see if you can get Ross to sign it.

I love when Bruce Wayne says to Clark Kent 'For a man who can hear clouds scrape, you sure dont listen well.'

*Edit*

Hey, have you seen Ross work outside of comics? These are his political views, not mine (not necessarily).

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/JToddHash/alex-ross_bush-liberty.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/JToddHash/obama.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/JToddHash/alex_ross-1.jpg

His booth at comic cons sells these, on t-shirts.

The Cosmic Geek
12-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Kingdom Come is an awesome comic, one of the best things Mark Waid has written. Gourgeous artwork indeed.

Rjeso
12-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Kingdom Come was the first GN I ever read (well, outside of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, but I'm talkin' mainstream, here). Alex Ross is a genius with a paintbrush!

alinda
12-31-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't own, nor have I read the first comic book at all but that looks cool as can be! :)

flaggwalkstheline
12-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Kingdom come is really good But Ive read the outline for Allen Moores abandoned Twilight of the superheroes and holy crap is it a shame he never got farther in making that

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6612/twilight.htm

The Cosmic Geek
12-31-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't own, nor have I read the first comic book at all but that looks cool as can be! :)

It's a great comic, well worth checking out. Mark Waid tells an amazing story and helps you see these heroes, and villains, in a new way.

Sam
12-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Alan Moore's biggest problem is Alan Moore. He believes his own hype and thinks he doesn't need an editor at all. He is a brilliant writer, but EVERY writer needs an editor besides themselves, even King. Not only that but Moore is becoming disconnected from his audience as he has become more reclusive. IF he would get out and talk to the fans, see what's being read, he could produce some more great work. If he wants to that is.

Seymour_Glass
12-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah, Sam's right. But Twilight of the Superheroes may be the best comic that never happened.

flaggwalkstheline
12-31-2008, 08:57 PM
It would've been John Constantine's Big Break Into The Main DC universe:cry:
It wouldve set the stage for him Being involved in other DC crossover stories, He's DCs greatest Character and He isnt hardly in any crossovers and his stories are NEVER referenced in other comics, the closest thing is in the first crisis on infinite earths when he has a 1 panel cameo which was enough to make all the hellblazer-aholics go AAAHHHHH!!!
not fair:arg:
Just think How much richer the main DCU would be If constantine was made into a regular player!
I mean I guess it's moores perogative to not finish it but he could have at least destroyed all the evidence he could so people like me wouldnt be viciously teased by it!

Sam
12-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I rather think Jesse Custer is DC's greatest character myself. He took on God. Granted Constantine took on Satan, but still. Have you read Preacher yet?

flaggwalkstheline
12-31-2008, 09:51 PM
No, im vaguely familiar with it,but constantine not only took on satan, he took on ALL of hell when he sold his soul to all of the elder demons in the story dangerous habits at the same time to piss em off and make the contract void and cured his lung cancer (plus gave him spiffy demon blood which slowed his aging & made him immune to vampirism )

Sam
12-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I'm familiar with the story. I have the GN. Great read, but it was nothing but a warm up to the complete over-the-topness that is Preacher. By the way, Garth Ennis, who is the writer for Preacher, also wrote Hellblazer and that particular storyline (Dangerous Habits) as well. Check out Preacher dude. It's worth it.

Oh, and Preacher turned out to be dress rehearsal for my favorite character's revival... Frank Castle, The Punisher. Check out his turn on The Punisher and The Punisher Max series.

Garth Ennis is the fucking MAN!!! Right there beside Bendis baby!!!

Sam
12-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Back on topic, I just found out that this wonderful gift of a signed Kingdom Come that my brother gave to me is even more wonderful and more thoughtful. Years ago I had purchased a copy of KC in hardcover. I lost it several years later somehow or another and never recovered it. When I moved, I thought it would turn up. I was wrong. Over the years, my brother had acquired his own copy and had it signed. He was very happy with this piece of his collection.

Fast forward to this Christmas. My brother lost his job some time ago and while he has been able to work odd jobs here and there, he is still having to live with my folks. His car was repoed because he had no money. He now drives my '93 Explorer, and I pay the insurance for him. We gave him the money to get gifts for Mama and Daddy. I figured he would just get me something with it too. How wrong I was.

As some of you probably have already guessed, my brother who had no job and no income gave me one of the prized pieces of his collection to replace the copy that I, through my own carelessness, lost. I wish I had known and could have appreciated this gift even more. To my little brother, whom I love very much... Thank You:couple:

Brice
01-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Damn, that's fucking sweet as hell.

turtlex
01-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Sam - That's great.

All part of paying it forward.

Makes an already awesome gift even more incredible.

Seems kinda perfect really.

Sam
01-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Does anyone else have anything to add? What did you think of Kingdom Come or it's less than spectacular follow-up The Kingdom.

fernandito
01-11-2009, 04:43 AM
It would've been John Constantine's Big Break Into The Main DC universe... He's DCs greatest Character and He isnt hardly in any crossovers and his stories are NEVER referenced in other comics...

He has a significant role in a couple of early Sandman issues, but that's about it.

The Cosmic Geek
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
A while back Paul Dini wrote a great Zatanna one shot that had John Constantine as a co-star, great story. If you grave some Constantine I would check that out.

flaggwalkstheline
01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
What about the 12 issue Justice? that was drawn by alex ross but I'm not sure if it is prequal 2 kingdom come...

valtr0n
01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I've got the original comics (not the hardcover), all signed by Ross and Waid. No idea how much they're worth, but I love 'em.

:D

The Cosmic Geek
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I've got the original comics (not the hardcover), all signed by Ross and Waid. No idea how much they're worth, but I love 'em.

:D

Nice!

My twin sister works for a comic magazine called Wizard. For her birthday one year her co-workers chipped in and got her a sketch from Alex Ross of Superman personalized.

Sam
01-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Very cool valtr0n!! For your sister too CG!!