PDA

View Full Version : Big news for the next arc

Wuducynn
07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Important news!

The title of the second story arc based on King’s The Dark Tower is The Long Road Home and the first issue in that arc will be released in February 2008.

Matt
07-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for posting this here Matthew :D

I will make sure it appears at the top on our page.

Wuducynn
07-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for posting this here Matthew :D

I will make sure it appears at the top on our page.

:rock:

Daghain
07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
:thumbsup: Woohoo! :dance:

jhanic
07-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Oops, sorry, but I just started a thread on this up in the Oracle section. Mods, if you want to delete it, go right ahead.

John

MonteGss
07-31-2007, 08:36 PM
February? Jeez...
Don't get me wrong, I super-pumped about the new arc but damn why the wait? :(

Wuducynn
07-31-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm with ya. That seems an awfully long time between arcs...oh well. Like we've talked about before it's nothing compared to the wait between most of the books that we long time Tower Junkies had to wait for.

MonteGss
07-31-2007, 08:51 PM
New stories! New adventures! More Roland! More killing! More gunslinging!
I am very excited.

Wuducynn
07-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Theres nothing like watching the gunslingers finally destroyed, get their come-uppance..the long waited sunset of the White in the world. Yeah you could say I'm REALLY looking forward to these next arcs...

Aaron
07-31-2007, 10:07 PM
*does a giddy little dance*

BlakeMP
08-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm assuming that the wait is to allow Lee and Isanove a bit of lead time. Assuming they're sticking with the same creative team, they'll want to do the same with the second series as they did with the first -- i.e., give the artists a long enough head start that they can finish the series without any delays between issues. If you'll recall, there was nearly a two-year gap between the announcement of the first series and the release of the first issue. Art of that quality takes time.

wizardsrainbow
08-01-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm assuming that the wait is to allow Lee and Isanove a bit of lead time. Assuming they're sticking with the same creative team, they'll want to do the same with the second series as they did with the first -- i.e., give the artists a long enough head start that they can finish the series without any delays between issues. If you'll recall, there was nearly a two-year gap between the announcement of the first series and the release of the first issue. Art of that quality takes time.

Blake-

That is exactly right. Jae has been working nonstop for months now, and he told me that he needs a little rest and relaxation and the opportunity to clear his head before he goes to work on the next Arc. I have no idea when he is going to start drawing the next phase...does anyone know if the story line has already been written?

BlakeMP
08-02-2007, 01:56 PM
No idea. Last I heard, it wasn't even officially announced that David, Lee and Isanove were staying on-board for the next series, although it seems to be presumed that they will.

Wuducynn
08-02-2007, 04:19 PM
No idea. Last I heard, it wasn't even officially announced that David, Lee and Isanove were staying on-board for the next series, although it seems to be presumed that they will.

I hope so, I really loved what they did with the first arc.

Matt
08-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Me too, but...someone else would be cool as well.

totally different perspective.

I'm just so excited to read it I wouldn't care if Belch drew it. :lol:

David
08-02-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm just so excited to read it I wouldn't care if Belch drew it. :lol:

Let's don't get carried away, now. :P

I'd imagine they won't be changing up the art department on this.

However, if they did change the art, i'd be happy with Michael Gaydos, who uses a muted watercolor style. His style has a kinda feel to it that I think lends itself to The Dark Tower.

Cuthbert Allbad
08-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Hope the completion Dark Tower in comic form doesn't take as long as the original books?

What time in Rolands life will this 2nd arc about? Is each story arc a book in the series? How many issues in the 2nd arc?

Regardless, i cannot wait!!!!!

We all say thank you. I say thank you!

jhanic
08-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Each of the subsequent arcs are supposed to tell a new story not included in the DT books. Only the first arc told the story that was in Wizard and Glass.

I can't remember details, but I do remember that the subsequent arcs are not supposed to be as long as the first arc. If I remember correctly (and I could easily be wrong) the second arc is supposed to be five issues. I think.

John

Wuducynn
08-03-2007, 11:46 AM
The 2nd arc will be covering Roland, Cuthbert and Alain's journey home from Hambry.

David
08-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm imagining an arc a year until the series losses steam and isn't profitable any longer.

One possibility is that with them charging 3.99 an issue, they could always drop down to the standard 2.99 if and when interests in the stories start to fade. The best guage will be the sales on the upcoming graphic novel collections of the first arc.

MonteGss
08-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Does anyone know how many arcs are currently scheduled? Is there an option/possibility of going further than what was originally planned? Will they attempt to cover all the time between Wizard and The Gunslinger? Or only up til Jericho Hill?

Even though I loathe the wait....NEW STORIES!!! :)

Wuducynn
08-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Does anyone know how many arcs are currently scheduled? Is there an option/possibility of going further than what was originally planned? Will they attempt to cover all the time between Wizard and The Gunslinger? Or only up til Jericho Hill?

Even though I loathe the wait....NEW STORIES!!! :)

All I've heard is only up to Jericho Hill, but thats several years worth of new Dark Tower material to do..so thats nothing to sniff at Mr. Man!

MonteGss
08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Oh, I agree. It would be really interesting though to hear a little bit more about the time after Roland officially becomes "the last gunslinger" when he escapes from his hiding in the pile of dead bodies.

Frunobulax
08-03-2007, 10:51 PM
I'll consider this first issue a birthday gift.

Cuthbert Allbad
08-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Next to the day my son was born (and daughter), the happiest day of my life will be new DT stories!!! It's almost enough for me to want to sexually gratify myself as i sit at this library terminal

BlakeMP
08-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Wow. Yeah. More than I needed to know. :D

Daghain
08-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Definitely TMI. And the library? EWWWW. :lol:

Patrick
08-04-2007, 10:40 AM
:lol:

Now that they're retold the W&G story, which really needed to be done to set up the whole series for those who have not read the books, I am so looking forward to stories we haven't heard before.

Daghain
08-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Me too!

Wuducynn
08-06-2007, 08:09 AM
I hear tell that the The Gunslingers Guidebook might come out this Wednesday. Anyone else hear this, and does anyone know if its true?

jhanic
08-06-2007, 08:55 AM
As far as I can remember, I think I first read it on Lilja's site, www.liljas-library.com.

John

Wuducynn
08-06-2007, 10:16 AM
As far as I can remember, I think I first read it on Lilja's site, www.liljas-library.com.

John

Thanks, Jhanic.

Chassit
08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Oh man, I can hardly wait...omg omg

XIX

Cutter
08-09-2007, 12:59 PM
What the heck is an arc? everyone refers to these comic series as arc's, but I don't even know what that means.

I assume it means a series, but what the letters stand for, I have no idea?

Wuducynn
08-09-2007, 01:02 PM
What the heck is an arc? everyone refers to these comic series as arc's, but I don't even know what that means.

Are Really Cool... just kidding. Its short for story arc, meaning a series of books or whatever following a single story. X-Files had several story arcs within it and an overall arc throughout the series as an example.

Daghain
08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Well put, CK. :)

Matt
08-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Yep--very well explained. I would consider Star Trek Movies 2-4 an "arc"

Cutter
08-10-2007, 07:47 AM

Are Really Cool... just kidding. Its short for story arc, meaning a series of books or whatever following a single story. X-Files had several story arcs within it and an overall arc throughout the series as an example.

Thanks All_Hail, I get it now!

Mike Beck
08-10-2007, 12:02 PM
i read there would be 6 or 7 arcs in total. but that was awhile ago. not sure if thing have changed.

So does this next story arc only cover the way back from hambry? That part was already covered in WaG too, right?

WizardsRainbow you live in Fairfield, CT? I do too. what the H.

Cuthbert Allbad
08-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Hardcover comes out in October 2007. Gonna buy one for me and one for a gift. Roland is, as kids say, "the shit." Feel it is my duty to spread the gospel of Roland. Hey, if L. Ron Hubbard can have his own religion, so can i!!!

Daghain
08-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Preorder hardcover on Amazon for $16.50.

Wuducynn
09-11-2007, 07:42 PM
BALTIMORE '07: THE DARK TOWER: THE LONG ROAD HOME LAUNCHES IN FEBRUARY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a very quiet announcement as far as announcements go, and, given the magnitude the first Dark Tower miniseries was announced with, the announcement of the second was positively subdued.

On the last page of The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #7 was a notice that the creative team, consisting of Robin Furth, Peter David, Jae Lee and Richard Isanove would be reuniting for the second miniseries, The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home. The next miniseries in what looks to be a series of miniseries, the announcement said, would begin in February of 2008.

At the Diamond Retailer Summit in Baltimore, Marvel showed advance art from the upcoming mini. We spoke with Furth and David about the forthcoming project.

Newsarama: Robin, the final page of Gunslinger Born pretty much cleared up any ambiguity about a sequel. That said, can you remind us of the larger set up of the story as King initially saw it from that first meeting with Marvel, way back, and how what's coming out as The Long Road Home fits into that? Is what's coming in this miniseries a chunk of the larger plot that he came up with at that meeting?

Robin Furth: During that first meeting Steve really laid the groundwork for the series. He wanted the story to begin with Roland’s coming of age test, then move on to his adventures in Hambry which are recounted in Wizard and Glass. After that Roland and his friends return to Gilead, and once they return home things really start to fall apart for the Gunslingers. I don’t want to say too much, except that our tet is going to encounter a lot of death and destruction. The Good Man’s forces regroup after their defeat in Hambry, and they rise triumphant—eventually sacking Gilead. Roland and his friends survive, but . . . well I’ve probably let too many cats out of the bag already! At the end of the series we’ll witness the infamous battle of Jericho Hill, which is the Gunslingers’ last stand. Steve went into a lot of detail about that final battle! What Steve envisioned in that original meeting was a series of thirty comics divided into five individual story arcs which function as individual tales. The Long Road Home is part two of five. Because it covers a smaller time period than Gunslinger Born, it will consist of five comics whereas Gunslinger Born consisted of seven.

The Long Road Home is exactly what the title implies. It covers our tet’s difficult journey back to Gilead and is a part of the larger story that Steve envisioned, both in the novels and during that meeting. As Dark Tower fans know, over the course of the five novels Roland tells us a lot about his early adventures. The Long Road Home expands on many of those tales.

NRAMA: Peter, you'd said previously that you'd be willing to continue on with these if Marvel asked. So - from the ad in the last issue of Gunslinger Born, they asked? Did it take you very long to say, "yes?"

Peter David: Not at all. The opportunity to work with such talented individuals as Robin and Jae and Richard is a once in a lifetime opportunity. So being given a twice in a lifetime opportunity...I couldn't wait to get started.

NRAMA: Robin, can you go into the continuity and the “when” you’re going to be exploring?

RF: The Long Road Home begins where Gunslinger Born left off, namely with Susan Delgado’s terrible death and Roland’s horror as he sees that death reflected in the evil seeing sphere known as Maerlyn’s Grapefruit. In the Gunslinger Born, Cuthbert and Alain’s devotion to Roland was tested, but in The Long Road Home it’s tested again. Their leader is gone—his mind and soul have been swallowed by the Grapefruit—so they are thrown back upon themselves. As we learn at the end of the final comic book . . . “and the thing that will ride west with Alain and Bert toward Gilead will not be Roland, or even a ghost of Roland. Like the moon at the close of its cycle, Roland is gone.” Well, in The Long Road Home, we’ll find out just where Roland went, and how horrible that place was! We’ll also discover how Cuthbert and Alain managed to get Roland’s body home, and how Sheemie managed to follow them.

PAD: Right - we're now into the realm of exploring events that were only hinted at in the books. We're filling in the gaps, as it were. And there is no one better equipped to be charting this endeavor than Robin. Aside from King himself, she's the foremost expert on Midworld. If I were told to do this on my own, I'd probably be curling up in a ball somewhere.

NRAMA: So is what we're going to be seeing in Long Road Home an all original tale in that Dark Tower fans won't have read it before?

RF: Yes, it’s going to be an original tale, but it will be a familiar world for long term fans. As all Dark Tower readers know, over the course of the five Dark Tower novels Roland tells us about many of his boyhood adventures. Sometimes these adventures are told in full; sometimes we only get tantalizing hints. The Long Road Home expands upon many of those stories as well as explaining some of the mysteries of the series, such as how Sheemie’s psychic powers became so powerful. I really hope fans enjoy discovering these things as much as I did.

NRAMA: That said, you certainly proved your mettle in the back up stories in Gunslinger Born, but what's it like to be co-crafting these stories with King? As I mentioned at the panel in Charlotte, what you and Peter were doing was pretty rarefied air in sharing the storytelling with him, but this - this is like super-rarefied air...or something...

RF: Thanks so much for your kind words about the stories. I’ve loved writing them but as you can imagine the writing is a little scary at times since I’m trying to remain true to so many things—the Dark Tower universe, Roland’s mythic history and ancestry, the saga of Arthur Eld as glimpsed in the Dark Tower novels, and most of all the vision of Steve King. As I said during the panel, I try to run my story ideas past Steve just to make sure I’m hitting the mark. I think the longest back-and-forth we had over email was about the origins of the Wizard’s Rainbow. That was a lot of fun, and quite a bit of info about the relationship between Maerlyn and Walter came to light, but I’ll save that for a later story! Steve has been incredibly supportive of these tales. (He sent me an email telling me that I’ve developed into an excellent tale-spinner, which I think I’m going to have cast in gold so that I can put it above my writing desk forever!) That being said, I’m about to send him another batch of tales for The Long Road Home, so I hope he likes those too!

NRAMA: What's the working process like on this story, given that it's not coming from a previously established novel? Is Steve more actively involved in the plotting with this one, or did he deliver a outline that you and Peter are working from, and the workflow is similar to before?

RF: In many ways it’s similar to before in that the plot is based on Steve’s ideas and Steve’s plan. However, instead of drawing the details from a single novel as in Gunslinger Born, to plot The Long Road Home I had to dip into multiple sources. I had my notes from that initial meeting with Steve and I had the novels where—in more places than you might imagine—Roland tells us about his return trip from Hambry to Gilead. My Dark Tower Concordance gives descriptions and page refs for all of Roland’s early adventures, so it was pretty easy to go to the exact scenes that we needed to transform into comic book adventures. In the end though, everything goes through Steve - he’s both Creative Editor and Executive Editor. I’ve just sent him a section of The Long Road Home to look over (it’s in the process of additional changes), so we’ll see what alterations he makes! As I said, he’s been really supportive of this project and likes the fact that we’re all so enthusiastic.

NRAMA: Back when you started this and we spoke, you tried, and said you’d had some success, at covering up your nervousness. Seven issues later, and a new miniseries on the horizon, have those nerves quieted? Has the working relationships with Peter and Jae changed in the interim time?

RF: I think the nervousness has quieted down some, especially because everybody has been so enthusiastic about the project and so supportive of what we’ve done. Steve has been great, Peter, Jae, and Richard have been great, and the editors—Ralph Macchio, John Barber and Nicole Boose—have been absolutely fantastic. I think the biggest change is that Peter, Jae, and I have been working together long enough now that we’re not afraid to really hash things out when changes are needed. I think that’s great, because the final product will be a lot stronger for the group work.

NRAMA: Story-wise, and yes, we’re looking for more teases, there’s still some elements of Wizard and Glass to get through, right? A very tragic return to his mother, for one…

RF: Ah! That’s the hard part isn’t it? Telling enough but not too much . . .

There’s definitely some Wizard and Glass to get to, namely the period of time when Roland’s mind is trapped in the Grapefruit. As Steve King mentioned in one of his emails, a lot happens while Roland is in that Grapefruit—a lot of things he doesn’t consciously remember in the Dark Tower books . . . like perhaps meeting the Crimson King himself? (HA!) Readers will also see how well Cuthbert and Alain cope when their leader Roland is out of commission, and they have to take care of him while out-riding their enemies. There are going to be mutants and collapsing bridges and debilitating poisons . . . We’re also going to get to see some of Mid-World’s other Dogans—places where magic and technology can be merged by the evil followers of the Outer Dark. So, much is to come, and I don’t want to ruin it for you!

NRAMA: Finally then, how far are we away from the Battle at Jericho Hill, time-wise for Roland? In terms of the miniseries, is that what all of them are building to?

RF: Yep, we’re building up to that battle. We’ll be forced to witness the carnage of it in the final volume, which will be volume 5, or the last six issues of a thirty issue run. The Long Road Home is five issues long—issues 8 to 12. By the end of issue 12 the boys make it to the gates of Gilead, but Gilead itself is far from safe. John Farson and Walter O’Dim are hatching some wicked plans…

NRAMA: King went back and re-worked the first novel, he did so with an eye on making the entire work more cohesive and whole. Will he, or you, be doing any of that with The Long Road Home, that is, tightening the larger storyline, adding in references to things that were seen in the novels, either before or after Wizard and Glass, or foreshadowing specifics of what is to come?

RF: Most definitely. While working on these plots I’ve really tried to keep the bigger picture in mind. Long time readers of the Dark Tower novels will recognize references to the final books of the series every bit as much as they see the stories taken from the early books. That’s been one of the great pleasures of working on these comics. Luckily we always have Steve to back us up, otherwise it would be scary. But this way, it’s like skydiving with a parachute you know works. You throw yourself out into the blue and know that you’ll land safely, but wow—what a trip!

NRAMA: Finally Robin - you and Peter are one miniseries into this, and have started on the second. Safe to say that the Tower and Roland have a hold on you as much as you do on it?

RF: Most definitely! I’ve been dreaming about that Tower for years now. One of these days I’m going to draw me a doorway and follow Roland. Won’t he be surprised!

Daghain
09-11-2007, 07:55 PM
:thumbsup:

Good stuff! I'm totally looking forward to it.

MonteGss
09-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Awesome!

jhanic
09-12-2007, 05:33 AM
I can't wait!!

John

Matt
09-12-2007, 05:54 AM
Oh yeah baby, that was just the fix I needed.

Erin
09-12-2007, 06:27 AM
:nana: Yay! That sounds awesome! I'm excited about seeing

Roland losing his mind in the grapefruit!

Wuducynn
09-12-2007, 10:01 AM
This interview makes waiting for the second arc suck just a little bit more than it already did. I just have to keep telling myself "You waited between Drawing and Wastelands and on, you can wait until Feb" while biting my lower lip until it bleeds and avoid the puzzled looks from the co-workers walking by my cubicle.

Daghain
09-12-2007, 10:10 AM
I know - it totally sucks. And they if keep throwing out teasers like that, it's going to be a loooong winter. :lol:

Randall Flagg
09-12-2007, 07:53 PM
I am not sure we need spoiler alerts for an interview, but wow! Thanks for the info. I am eager to see/read the next arc.

Wuducynn
09-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I am not sure we need spoiler alerts for an interview, but wow! Thanks for the info. I am eager to see/read the next arc.

It had spoilers throughout the interview so I just figured it would be easier to "spoilerize" the whole thing.

Patrick
09-12-2007, 10:56 PM

It had spoilers throughout the interview so I just figured it would be easier to "spoilerize" the whole thing.

All Hail, that was an excellent interview! :thumbsup: Thank you so much for finding and posting it. Now I'm all excited about the release of this next 5-issue story arc. :dance:

In regards to the alerts: I agree that going through and making a bunch of spoiler alerts would be a pain. But because the entire post was marked, I had no flavor for what may lie underneath. To give people some idea of what was under the big block of SPOILER, I moved the markers to reveal the beginning and ending non-spoiler stuff. This should make it easier for people to decide whether or not they want to read the blacked-out part.

Wuducynn
09-13-2007, 05:13 AM
Yeah, you're right Patrick that does work better. Smart move.

Patrick
09-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks. Next round is on me.

Chassit
09-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Wow, that was great CK!!!

XIX

Aaron
09-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Totally kick-ass. We are about to go into no man's land, kiddies. :harrier:

Randall Flagg
09-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Some images from the next arc:

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/9417/dtcomicv211rj3.jpg

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4403/dtcomicv221qe1.jpg

Matt
09-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks Jerome, these are going on the page :rock:

Daghain
09-22-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm not going to make it until February. :cry:

MonteGss
09-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Cool pics! I can't wait to see them colored too! :)

Don't worry Daggers, Feb will come soon enough.

Wuducynn
09-23-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm not going to make it until February. :cry:

We'll make it together

Letti
09-23-2007, 08:29 AM
CK... :wub: long time no see

Matt
09-23-2007, 08:43 AM
**nods**

great to see you Matthew

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I thought I was going to have to check to see if you were still around

Letti
09-23-2007, 10:35 AM
You see, CK, everyone is crazy about you, man. :wub:

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 10:37 AM
TRUE TRUE TRUE :rofl:

Daghain
09-23-2007, 06:28 PM
CK! I missed ya, buddy! :D

MonteGss
09-23-2007, 08:49 PM
I didn't miss you. Go away.

Letti
09-23-2007, 10:19 PM

Don't hide your feelings, dear. :huglove:

Storyslinger
09-24-2007, 07:48 AM

:scared:

:lol: :rofl:

wizardsrainbow
09-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Hey everyone-

Ok, yes, I am going to play name dropper here...

Jae Lee just left my office an hour ago and he is pretty stoked about the next ARC of the comic series. After a brief respite, he is now hard at work on the next series. We talked a bit about the first seven issues. Overall, he was quite pleased at how they came out.

Some random comments from our conversation...

Jae said that he made Roland a bit super-heroish (buff/muscles) in his original drawings but that Stephen King told him to leave him that way.

Jae was not altogether happy with how he depicted Roy Depape. I told him that Sheemie was not how I pictured him in my mind's eye.

Jae stated that he has gotten a lot of mail about how Roland looked too young, etc., but said that that was certainly to be a problem as the books are so popular and most readers have their own mental images to begin with, so a new version almost certainly will not match up.

Jae stopped by to sign my copies, and he did everything! He signed all the regular issues, both variants, Sketch books and Guide book...probably 30 signatures in all. I may have one of the only complete signed sets out there. How cool is that!!!

Matt
09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Holy shit Wiz!!

That must have been amazing :wub:

wizardsrainbow
09-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Holy shit Wiz!!

Matt-

It was! He is a very nice guy and very young (relative to an old fart like me). I met him originally when I purchased some of the earliest artwork from him directly back in late January. We have traded the occasional e-mail since then, and he promised awhile ago that he would sign my copies after the 1st ARC was complete and he was not under such time pressures.

Matt
09-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I cannot imagine meeting someone like that, so connected to the series and only about 1 degree of separation from the man himself.

I may have swooned right then, I wouldn't put it passed me :lol:

Daghain
09-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Wiz, that totally rocks! :D

jhanic
09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Great, Wizard!

John

wizardsrainbow
09-24-2007, 05:14 PM
thanks John 8)

Wuducynn
09-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks folks :cool: :thumbsup: especially Monte :huglove:

Wuducynn
09-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Great stuff Wizard! Pass on for me if you will that I appreciate all the great work Mr. Lee has done and will continue to do, so he knows that a long time, hard-core Dark Tower junkie loves his work.

wizardsrainbow
09-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Great stuff Wizard! Pass on for me if you will that I appreciate all the great work Mr. Lee has done and will continue to do, so he knows that a long time, hard-core Dark Tower junkie loves his work.

Sure. Will be happy to do so.

Randall Flagg
09-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Congratulations Wiz. You are very fortunate indeed.

MaraJShakespeare
09-30-2007, 07:06 PM
If only I could make like a grizzly and hibernate until the very day of release; that would make this bearable. I'm trying to come up with things to look forward to in the meantime, to tide me over, but this Fall/early Winter isn't making it easy. I'll get the hardcover omnibus edition of the first arc, but will there be any new stuff in there? It won't be much help, even if there is at least a little bit; I've finally managed to get all of the variant covers and all the extras (the guidebook, the sketchbook, etc.), and I have yet to sit down and read the whole thing in one sitting, but that will fill a few hours at best. Duma Key only comes out a few weeks before the next arc starts, so it should help with the worst part of the wait- the last weeks. But knowing me, I'll read it in two days.

We Dark Tower freaks sure have been spoiled in recent years: King putting out the last three books in around a year, and then when the comics started, we were getting used to a monthly fix. It was especially good for the collector's jones, what with the three covers for each issue, then the reissue covers- it kept us busy and gave us something to do between new issues, searching out the best price for each variant cover. All of this made it easy to forget the long years between the books back in the '80s and '90s, when we could get no information at all most of the time and made much of every DT reference in King's other novels, as well as every hint or remark that King let slip in those lean years. It should be a breeze, waiting a mere 4 more months; we should be able to do that standing on our heads! And yet: :pullhair: (Finally, an emoticon that really captures the feeling of those long waits between DT volumes!)

I guess this is a rough wait because there just aren't many things, between now and February, to serve as effective distractions. At least for me, there are maybe three movies (The Golden Age, The Mist- of course- and Sweeney Todd), a few DVDs- the Summer movies I missed- a concert or two, Duma Key, and that's about it. I can think of nothing on TV that will be of any use, and this damned computer can't do much, either. Hopefully, there will be a bunch of good documentaries I'm not aware of yet, and I can fill a lot of that time writing- if the ideas are flowing- or hanging out in here. Perhaps we can create a thread where we sit around bitching about the wait, then February will be here before we know it! :excited:

Patrick
10-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Hey everyone-

Ok, yes, I am going to play name dropper here...

Jae Lee just left my office an hour ago and he is pretty stoked about the next ARC of the comic series. After a brief respite, he is now hard at work on the next series. We talked a bit about the first seven issues. Overall, he was quite pleased at how they came out.

Some random comments from our conversation...

Jae said that he made Roland a bit super-heroish (buff/muscles) in his original drawings but that Stephen King told him to leave him that way.

Jae was not altogether happy with how he depicted Roy Depape. I told him that Sheemie was not how I pictured him in my mind's eye.

Jae stated that he has gotten a lot of mail about how Roland looked too young, etc., but said that that was certainly to be a problem as the books are so popular and most readers have their own mental images to begin with, so a new version almost certainly will not match up.

Jae stopped by to sign my copies, and he did everything! He signed all the regular issues, both variants, Sketch books and Guide book...probably 30 signatures in all. I may have one of the only complete signed sets out there. How cool is that!!!

Holy shit Wiz!!

Matt-

It was! He is a very nice guy and very young (relative to an old fart like me). I met him originally when I purchased some of the earliest artwork from him directly back in late January. We have traded the occasional e-mail since then, and he promised awhile ago that he would sign my copies after the 1st ARC was complete and he was not under such time pressures.

That is a great story, Wiz. I wish I were in New York!

Patrick
10-03-2007, 10:18 AM
... Perhaps we can create a thread where we sit around bitching about the wait, then February will be here before we know it! :excited:

:lol: I think this is that thread. :D

Wuducynn
10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
... Perhaps we can create a thread where we sit around bitching about the wait, then February will be here before we know it! :excited:

:lol: I think this is that thread. :D

As the maker of this thread I hereby deem this thread such. :thumbsup:

Patrick
10-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Well then, there you go...

Is it February yet?

Matt
10-04-2007, 10:14 AM
No <_<

And it will be at least March before I get the thing anyway. I'll be bitching long after you all have enjoyed "The Long Road Home"

Daghain
10-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Dude, you need to learn to shop on the Internet. :lol: www.g-mart.com

Matt
10-04-2007, 10:49 AM
I know, but there is something about buying it from your friendly neighborhood shop keeper. :(

I may need to drag my ass into the 21st century.

Daghain
10-04-2007, 10:54 AM
This guy IS like the local neighborhood guy - just has a storefront on the web. He's really quite helpful. :D

Matt
10-04-2007, 10:58 AM
But you can't smell the paper!! :lol:

Daghain
10-04-2007, 11:03 AM
:lol: I guess not.

Patrick
10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
But you can't smell the paper!! :lol:

I agree, though. I much prefer buying these in person.

Wuducynn
10-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Four more months folks.

Daghain
10-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Is it February yet? :lol:

Storyslinger
10-05-2007, 07:20 AM
yes.........wait...............ARGH...........some one messed with my calander

Wuducynn
10-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Is it February yet? :lol:

Todays Date: 02/07/2008

Daghain
10-05-2007, 08:51 AM
:lol: I'd better be placing an order at the comic store, then!

Matt
10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Wow, Matthew is like Doc Brown :lol:

RUBE
11-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow, Matthew is like Doc Brown :lol:

Why? Did he steal some plutonium or did he marry a woman born a hundred years before him?

Oh, and..

Is it February yet?

Ruthful
11-17-2007, 04:16 AM
That is a great story, Wiz. I wish I were in New York!

Sodoes everyone, except for Derek Jeter.

Him, not so much.

Seriously though, this sounds good.

Thanks for the update, WR.

jhanic
11-17-2007, 07:07 AM
I just hope it's still February. Here's the back of the newly issued bookmark for the Dark Tower 2--it says March!

John

RUBE
11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
I just hope it's still February. Here's the back of the newly issued bookmark for the Dark Tower 2--it says March!

John

What the Hell? I wonder why they would move it even further back.

Wuducynn
11-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm betting thats a type-o. It's February.

Patrick
11-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Although you'd think someone at Marvel would catch the typo before they printed up a bazillion bookmarks and distributed them all over the country.

Daghain
11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
AAHHAHHHAHA!!!!!!!

Wuducynn
11-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Although you'd think someone at Marvel would catch the typo before they printed up a bazillion bookmarks and distributed them all over the country.

You've never seen type-os in a bazillion books? I sure have.

Patrick
11-20-2007, 10:02 PM

You've never seen type-os in a bazillion books? I sure have.
Yeah, I know. I would just hope someone there would proofread this simple stuff. I mean, c'mon, there's not that many words on the damn thing, it's a bookmark!

Daghain
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Sometimes it's the little stuff that trips you up. :lol:

Brice showed me a typo on the Towerpedia! main page that I had literally looked at daily for 5+ months. :rofl:

Patrick
11-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Really? I would have thought sarajean would have caught it much sooner.

Daghain
11-20-2007, 10:07 PM
That's true - she must not be reading Towerpedia. That girl is a born fact-checker. :D

Matt
11-21-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm sure that was me. :blush:

Daghain
11-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Either way, I didn't catch it. :lol:

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Woah, where have I been?! This is great news, I had no idea there were going to be more!!! All hail . . . well, All_Hail for giving us this information! (I know I'm a little late responding, so I cry pardon . . . )

Wuducynn
01-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Woah, where have I been?!

Japan? ;)

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Woah, where have I been?!

Japan? ;)

Oh, yeah, right . . . but damn it, have I missed my Tower news!

Matt
01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
We're all chomping at the bit for it for sure.