PDA

View Full Version : Duma Key--Bracket 12 Winner!!

Aaron
12-18-2008, 12:07 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Duma_Key_face.jpg
Duma Key
Scribner, 2008

Bracket #12

Voting for this Book is Closed

Final Average Score:

Bracket Winner!!

Duma Key will advance to Round 2

Jean
12-18-2008, 12:09 PM
5+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

One of the absolute best.

razz
12-18-2008, 12:16 PM
dammit! DAMMIT DAMMIT!
I thought i had selected Lisey's story. instead I give Duma Key a one! FUCK:pullhair:

jayson
12-18-2008, 12:20 PM

If it weren't for the drowning a porcelain figurine in a flashlight anti-climatic ending, I'd give it a 5. I liked almost everything else about this book (except the italics in the "How to Paint a Picture" chapters) but that part of the ending made me question why the hell I read that far to get to something like that. My only other complaint is Wireman. After awhile, it seemed like King really wanted to write another Henry Leyden but couldn't quite flesh it out all the way. The whole Wireman-speak thing got very annoying muchachos y muchachas.

Darkthoughts
12-18-2008, 01:00 PM
5, I absolutely loved it!! I'm enjoying the mature King stories very much.

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I gave it a four because of the anticlimactic ending. I actually rather liked Wireman and his "speak" and felt genuinely sad when he died.

Another thing that prevented me from giving it a five was the terrible foreshadowing in the book. Never King's strong suit, but it was ridiculous in this one and I think led to the ending being anticlimactic. Sometimes, I just wish he would back off in this regard. I have my own theory about why he does it this way, but mayhap that's for another thread.

Not a bad book when it comes to the mature King, as Lisa puts it.

alinda
12-18-2008, 01:26 PM
5 all the way!

mae
12-18-2008, 03:36 PM
By all accounts this sounds like a great novel. I'll get to it soon.

Heather19
12-18-2008, 03:47 PM
5 One of my favorite King stories.

Hannah
12-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Dude, you have some reading to do. Every thread is a post from Pablo "sounds like a good book - I need to read this soon!" :P

I gave this fucker a 5. I didn't mind the ending, but then I'm easy to please. :D

mae
12-18-2008, 08:14 PM

Dude, you have some reading to do. Every thread is a post from Pablo "sounds like a good book - I need to read this soon!" :P

Hehe, well only the latest ones, really. I've been reading the Dark Tower non-stop for a year probably, if not more, reading little else King in between.

Sam
12-18-2008, 08:37 PM
This one os a total 5. If you don't believe it, hire someone to read it to you again. Better yet, get your eyes checked, you didn't read the same book we did.:wtf:

Mianjo
12-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I gave this a 4. I wasn't to keen on the ending, but LOVED everything else. Since there's not a 4.5 option, 4 it was.

Jon
12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
I have owned this book for nearly a year and have yet to open it. I don't know why.

at_one
12-19-2008, 12:05 AM
5 all the way...reminded me of how Sai King used to write....

ManOfWesternesse
12-19-2008, 12:35 AM
A definite 5 for me, liked this one a lot!

The Lady of Shadows
12-19-2008, 01:57 AM
another 1. seriously has he written anything in the past few years that i've liked? i'm starting to wonder now that we're doing these polls. thank gan for rereads.

Django
12-19-2008, 03:12 AM
It should've been a 4, but I gave it a 5 because I think I was unfair to some books earlier in the game. Oh, I'm terrible.

fernandito
12-19-2008, 06:09 AM

Aaron
12-19-2008, 06:26 AM
dammit! DAMMIT DAMMIT!
I thought i had selected Lisey's story. instead I give Duma Key a one! FUCK:pullhair:

What is your correct vote? I will fix it for you.

Heather19
12-19-2008, 06:31 AM
another 1. seriously has he written anything in the past few years that i've liked? i'm starting to wonder now that we're doing these polls. thank gan for rereads.

Oh Turtle, please try rereading this one. Maybe you'll appreciate it a bit more.

Django
12-19-2008, 07:08 AM
I think we have a bracket winner.:rock:

jayson
12-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Not too surprising that DK is going to win this bracket (and not just because it's the only recent King book I enjoyed).

Daghain
12-19-2008, 07:58 AM
I need to hurry up and finish this one so I can vote! (But I think I already know what my vote is going to be).

Jean
12-19-2008, 08:01 AM
I hope so.

::applies bearpressure::

Girlystevedave
12-19-2008, 09:05 AM
This book pissed me off.

Sam
12-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Why, oh furry pink one? Why did it piss you off? Just because everyone keeps telling you you'll put your eye out doesn't mean you should take your frustration out on a poor defenseless book. Hey look... a pole. I triple dog dare you...

Heather19
12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
This book pissed me off.

Yes, I too am curious. What didn't you like?

Jean
12-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Bears would like to know, too...

Girlystevedave
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I was so excited when I started this book. It seemed so promising, yet built up to nothing IMO. That's why it pissed me off.

Daghain
12-19-2008, 10:09 AM
You would be correct, dear bear. :wub:

Jean
12-19-2008, 10:11 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

MonteGss
12-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Loved it. Lisey's and Duma got King back on track to his "supernatural" roots, imo.

Whitey Appleseed
12-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Another favorite. Lived in Florida for a time. Weird hearing rhat cheer coming from King. Lots of images, enough to keep most poets curious. Listened to the audio, as well, only audio book I have.

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Loved it. Lisey's and Duma got King back on track to his "supernatural" roots, imo.

I agree wholeheartedly and what's interesting is the strong character development in both of these books. Its what makes the fantastical or paranormal work so well for me particularly with King. Horror tropes or archetypes that bore me to no end with other authors, work with King because I get so invested with the characters that I believe its happening. Boo ya moon would have been ridiculous in many ways if it weren't for Scott and Lisey. And as much as didn't like the fall of Perse in Duma Key, I was better able to deal with it because of Edgar and Wireman.

MonteGss
12-21-2008, 10:43 AM

I agree wholeheartedly and what's interesting is the strong character development in both of these books. Its what makes the fantastical or paranormal work so well for me particularly with King. Horror tropes or archetypes that bore me to no end with other authors, work with King because I get so invested with the characters that I believe its happening. Boo ya moon would have been ridiculous in many ways if it weren't for Scott and Lisey. And as much as didn't like the fall of Perse in Duma Key, I was better able to deal with it because of Edgar and Wireman.

Dude, that's is right on!
Reading those two novels got me anxious about King again...eagerly awaiting what comes next. I am super hopeful about his big'un that he has coming out in 2009.

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 10:50 AM

Dude, that's is right on!
Reading those two novels got me anxious about King again...eagerly awaiting what comes next. I am super hopeful about his big'un that he has coming out in 2009.

I'm super hopeful myself. I really think Lisey's Story and Duma Key are good signs.

jayson
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
I agree with the sentiment that it was the characters that make a book like Duma Key what it is, especially since the "action" part of it was so, well, lame quite frankly. That said, I didn't really care for Wireman all that much. To me, he was something of a pale imitation of a character type like Henry Leyden. The Wireman-speak just got to be too much after awhile. Nobody talks like that every single time they open their mouths. Still, Edgar was one of the better characters SK created in a long long time.

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Jayson, I think that one of the reasons that Wireman clung to that language was because of his continuing grief in regards to his departed wife. He wasn't even hispanic. I can not only "buy that" but empathize with it a great deal. In this way, it was intrinsically related to his character development and not peripheral or annoying, but central and endearing.

jayson
12-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I got that aspect of it, and I too thought it touching at first. I just think King overdid it. To have him say things like that every now and again is touching, to have him do so practically every time he spoke was overkill and didn't ring true to me. Just my personal take on it, but after awhile it stopped being endearing and started being annoying.

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 11:20 AM
But remember the severity of his pain:

He tried to kill himself, I mean really tried

If anything, King downplayed it. Coming back from something like that practically necessitates obsessive compulsive behavior when dealing with grief. I never got the sense it was too much and:

Wireman's death was the most difficult one for me to accept.

"God punishes us for what we can't imagine" was practically the leit motif of the book.

jayson
12-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't discount his pain at all. As much as I felt for Wireman, after awhile it no longer seemed like a natural aspect of his character as it did something King just couldn't or wouldn't stop doing. I doubt he spoke like that all the time when he talked to Ms. Eastlake, so it seemed odd to me that he did in nearly every dialog with Edgar.

Chalk it up to personal preference on my part. At least it wasn't all in italics like the "How to Paint a Picture" sections. That physically pained me to read.

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, our personal preferences are different in this regard. I just went through some things a few years ago that caused me to empathize with Wireman's grief. I understand what its like to cling to something that isn't there anymore. I'm not saying that you don't understand that, but just pointing out the reason that his language never got on my nerves. I actually think that he did speak to Miss Eastlake that way, and himself in the mirror or whoever was opposite to him. I bet he even prayed like that.

jayson
12-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I bet he even prayed like that.

Maybe si, maybe no. :P

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I bet he even prayed like that.

Maybe si, maybe no. :P

Thanks for killing the ambience muchacho. :lol:

jayson
12-21-2008, 11:41 AM
No way I could pass that one up. It was a fastball right over the plate.

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I know. Can't say that I would have been able to help myself. :couple:

I enjoy these conversations. I really understand a little more about why I liked Wireman so much. I wish I could change my vote from a 4 to a 5.

jayson
12-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Perhaps a mod with power over this part of the forum (like Aaron or Jean) can change that for you. Can't hurt to ask.

I was close to giving it a 5 myself (I took off no points for Wireman), but the whole figurine in a flashlight thing just rubbed me the wrong way.

fernandito
12-21-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't know why, but I kept hearing Hulk Hogan's voice in my head whenever I read Wireman's bits, and after a while I even started to confuse the two :cyclops:

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 12:21 PM
:rofl:

Why did you have to ruin that for me Feev?

Aaron
12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Let me tell ya somethin', brother!

Whatcha gonna do when Perse runs wild on you, dude!?

:P

I can change your vote, obscurejude, if you are absolutely sure that you want me to. Just let me know.

I didn't find Wireman's lingo to be overdone at all. I saw it as part of the language that develops amongst friends, and that often is used ad nauseum. Remember that Edgar began doing it himself, and did it throughout his narration of the story as well. So rather than being annoying, it illustrated to me the depth of their relationship as friends. Wireman never really used it when he spoke to Miss Eastlake--at least not in the interactions that were detailed in the narrative--so one would assume that it was part of his way of breaking the ice with Edgar initially (he didnt really have any other friends to use it with) and it just developed from there into something that was special for them both, I think. Close friends have their own language the same way that long-married couples do. Really it is no different from the language of Lisey's Story in practice, but it comes across different with close friends than it does for spouses/lovers, because finding the love of a good friend--the best of friends--is rarer than finding romantic love.

Matt
12-22-2008, 09:24 AM
So true honey monkey

^ friends talk. :lol:

Seriously though, I totally agree with the above comment.

Drumblebum
12-23-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm still trying to get my teeth into this one... I'm not making the effort to put the time in I guess. I'm glad to see that so many really liked it - I likely will just start over from the beginning and go for it.

Damn I'm glad I found this board!

Hey y'all...

mia/susannah
12-24-2008, 06:44 AM
I really liked this book but I found it hard to get into at first but the more you read, it draws you in so i gave this one a 4

mae
12-24-2008, 06:51 AM
I really liked this book but I found it hard to get into at first but the more you read, it draws you in so i gave this one a 4

Most (long) King books are like that. I personally enjoy the slow build-up, especially if it's done right, like in Insomnia.

Matt
12-24-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm still trying to get my teeth into this one... I'm not making the effort to put the time in I guess. I'm glad to see that so many really liked it - I likely will just start over from the beginning and go for it.

Damn I'm glad I found this board!

Hey y'all...

We're glad you found us too man, welcome :thumbsup:

Daghain
12-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I literally JUST finished this book and had to give it a 5. I'd give it a 10 if I could - I really loved it. :dance:

Jean
12-24-2008, 03:25 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_happy.gif

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-25-2008, 09:07 PM
woulda been a 4 for me if I had voted in time

lgkurt
12-26-2008, 09:02 PM
It was good but not excellant.