Voting for this Book is Closed

Final Average Score:

Lisey's Story will not advance to Round 2

Jean
12-18-2008, 12:07 PM

Would have been 1 if not for Amanda.

jayson
12-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Yet another 1 from me for a King book published in the last few years. Anyone sensing a pattern here? If it weren't for Duma Key, I'd be convinced the man forgot how to write things I like to read.

Sorry Lisa, I know you love this one, but it is a nominee for my worst of King. :(

Darkthoughts
12-18-2008, 01:03 PM
:lol:

Well, unsurprisingly then it got a 5 from me :D

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Lisa's not the only one that liked it. This book made me want to get married. I liked the idea of examining marriage by starting at the secret language that develops between lovers over time. I know a lot people made fun of "shmucking" and the like, but I found it extremely endearing and very important. The virtues of monogamy, at least it seems to me, are contained in this book. It was slow going at times, but overall I really dug it. I gave it a 4.

Darkthoughts
12-18-2008, 01:09 PM
:thumbsup:

I loved that aspect of the book too.

I also loved the concept of someone who would otherwise be cast in a secondary role (Lisey), playing the lead part.

And I liked the way King managed to portray an ongoing relationship between Lisey and the deceased Scott - through the discoveries she makes, without it seeming trite or overly sentimental.

And Ryan, babyluv, I dug the schmucking too :D

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 01:13 PM
:couple:

I also liked the idea of Lisey taking center role which is related to how personal this book seemed to me with King.

The ongoing relationship with Scott after his death was really really interesting. The discoveries and the interactions on boo ya moon, it was just cool. Again, the love story was so compelling and I wanted to get married after reading the book.

alinda
12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Lisa's not the only one that liked it. This book made me want to get married. I liked the idea of examining marriage by starting at the secret language that develops between lovers over time. I know a lot people made fun of "shmucking" and the like, but I found it extremely endearing and very important. The virtues of monogamy, at least it seems to me, are contained in this book. It was slow going at times, but overall I really dug it. I gave it a 4.

:thumbsup:

I loved that aspect of the book too.

I also loved the concept of someone who would otherwise be cast in a secondary role (Lisey), playing the lead part.

And I liked the way King managed to portray an ongoing relationship between Lisey and the deceased Scott - through the discoveries she makes, without it seeming trite or overly sentimental.

And Ryan, babyluv, I dug the schmucking too :D

:couple:

I also liked the idea of Lisey taking center role which is related to how personal this book seemed to me with King.

The ongoing relationship with Scott after his death was really really interesting. The discoveries and the interactions on boo ya moon, it was just cool. Again, the love story was so compelling and I wanted to get married after reading the book.

:):P:)
Exactly why I liked this book so much, I have found myself using some language from this book, schmucking amoung them!

mae
12-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Sadly the latest several novels have been bought and promptly filed on the shelves. I have been doing a lot of backlog-reading and also endeavoring upon the Dark Tower. Lots of catching up to do, so, Never Read.

Heather19
12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Gave this one a 1. Probably up there as one of my least favorite by King.

Darkthoughts
12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
:cry:

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 05:21 PM
:cry:

alinda
12-18-2008, 06:27 PM
:( you could reread it, it may grow on ya.BOOYA!

Hannah
12-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I gave it a 5. I absolutely loved it. Like Lisa and Obscure both mentioned, the relationship between Scott and Lisey was very special to me. I also was completely captivated by Scott Landon's backstory and the tragedy there.

I loved the whole bool thing, and the creepiness of boo ya moon.

Sam
12-18-2008, 08:19 PM
I think this is the type of story that someone who is living in the love story of their life will look at and relate to their own life. I don't know if it would have had the same impact on me in 1994 when I thought I knew what love was. I know now that it's so much more than the fast, urgent sexual feelings that come with a new relationship. I know it's more than thet tired feeling you get when your lover farts for the twelfth time that hour and your thinking "Christ all mighty, do I have to share a bed with this woman tonight? How mad will she be if I sleep in the recliner tonight?" It's all of those things and so much more. I'm not sure I would have gotten that before I really fell in love with my wife.

I give this one a 5.

Mianjo
12-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I gave this a 4, only because I didn't love it as much as I loved some of the books I gave 5s. It was a compelling read. I love the way the story unfolded. I'm planning on rereading it as soon as I finish this pile of books that I'm working on right now.

ManOfWesternesse
12-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Not bad, but not a great one either. Just a 3 for me.

The Lady of Shadows
12-19-2008, 01:55 AM
a solid 4 from me.

Django
12-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Gave it a smucking 5.

Daghain
12-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Three. I liked it, but like Jayson said, I was starting to wonder if King was losing his touch.

Brice
12-19-2008, 09:36 AM
another smucking 5

flaggwalkstheline
12-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I liked it, gave it a four, I think that the concepts of love and commitment were rather offputting to me, not that I didnt think they were well written but I myself at that special age of 19 don't understand them, someone older probably would

Django
12-21-2008, 05:32 AM
That's what made the book work for me. And the relationship of sisters, I think worked like a charm. The smucking language was abhorrent, but even that made sense in some way. And the soundtrack of it! I couldn't get ole Hank's voice out of my head when I read it me-oh, my-oh. Clear 5 for this one.

Whitey Appleseed
12-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Loved this story, and the stories within the story. Lots of subtext. Lots of levels. Lots of images. Re-read it a number of times. Feel like I should say something negative about it cause some folk didn't like it. There may have been a chapter that seemed to fall a little flat, if only because the rest of the story grabbed me...maybe Lisey and the Professor or the one following?

LadyHitchhiker
12-21-2008, 08:09 AM
I haven't been able to finish this one yet. It's not holding my interest. :$ So I'm just going to put I didn't like it and try to read it later.

KaLikeAWheel
12-23-2008, 12:15 AM
This is one of my favorite stories by King. The phrase "secret language of marriage" was just one of those things I've known existed for years but never had a name for. Also, around the time this novel was relased, my husband had this annoying habit of dropping dead every few months (he's had heart surgery and got an implanted defibulator, so he's better now), so I could completely relate to Lisey at the time. In fact, I'm thinking it's time for a re-read. So, obviously a 5 from me. :thumbsup:

Donna

mia/susannah
12-24-2008, 06:37 AM
I gave this book a 5. I just love the book and the theme. Although it was a little sad

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Haven't read this one. From the reviews it is hard to tell if it is worthwhile or not. I sense that this is a romance novel of sorts, and seemingly is either loved or hated. Could that be similar to reviews for DT4 for the same reasons?