Cell
Scribner, 2006

Bracket #12

Voting for this Book is Closed

Final Average Score:

Cell will not advance to Round 2

Jean
12-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Can't vote right now: just finished reading it, and need some time for the impression to be confirmed; hesitating between 3 and 4.

jayson
12-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Can I give it a negative number? This one ranks less than zero for me. I wish I had the time back I spent reading it, which thankfully, didn't take long. I thought it was absolutely horrible and way below my expectations for a writer of King's calibre.

Darkthoughts
12-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I gave a 2. There were elements of the story I enjoyed, but the whole zombie gore fest was too much for me.

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I gave it a three. I thought a lot of the concepts, which I outlined in other threads, were right on but the characters less than compelling. Not a terrible work, but average in my opinion.

Darkthoughts
12-18-2008, 01:14 PM
The parts I mostly enjoyed, were where the characters were exploring (for shelter and other reasons) abandoned homes, towns etc. The idea of that in itself fascinates me, I really enjoyed that element of The Stand too.

mae
12-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Sounds like a cool novel. Fluffy but cool. Will read it soon.

Heather19
12-18-2008, 03:42 PM
4 I really enjoyed it.

alinda
12-18-2008, 04:28 PM
I can't believe I am calling a SK book average, but...this one gets a 3 from me.:unsure:

Darkthoughts
12-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Pablo, it's not in the slightest bit fluffy...unless thats gore splattered fluff you're talking about? :D

IWasSentWest
12-18-2008, 04:38 PM
gave it a 4...was a good book by most other authors standards, but this isn't a high class king novel. just didn't seem to have as much detail as a usual SK book

Hannah
12-18-2008, 06:55 PM
5 for me, but then I have a big thing for zombies. I loved the President of Harvard and the communication there. It was great. The ending was a little blah, but it's really not about the ending, is it?

I enjoy reading fluff every now and then. It clears the mind. Fluff books make me happy. Especially when I can get a lot of satisfaction out of reading them. This one satisfied me.

Sam
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
I really enjoyed this story. It had me riveted and having to find out what happened next. It was well written and used a writing tense that is difficult for a writer to really pull off. I thought it was a fun ride that had the added plus of being just a little deeper than a shallow mudpuddle. Like Hannah, I like fluff every now and then. 5.

Mianjo
12-18-2008, 08:40 PM
3 from me. I just didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would and I love zombie stuff. I'm not going to say I was disappointed, but it just didn't give me what I was looking for.

fernandito
12-18-2008, 09:39 PM
An extremely generous 2.

ManOfWesternesse
12-19-2008, 12:45 AM
I really enjoyed this Book. 5.

The Lady of Shadows
12-19-2008, 01:56 AM
gan, what a dull, plodding, boring, ENDLESS fucking story. i just wanted it to be over already. a 1 for gan's sweet sake.

ManOfWesternesse
12-19-2008, 02:22 AM
gan, what a dull, plodding, boring, ENDLESS fucking story. i just wanted it to be over already. a 1 for gan's sweet sake.
Gan is not impressed!

:evil:

The Lady of Shadows
12-19-2008, 02:41 AM
Gan is not impressed!

no he wasn't impressed. i'm glad you agree. :evil:

ManOfWesternesse
12-19-2008, 02:46 AM
Gan is not impressed!

no he wasn't impressed. i'm glad you agree. :evil:

Oh! You bad b*&%$! :lol:

Django
12-19-2008, 07:07 AM
I have a feeling I'll dislike this one. I'll read it when I finish the Tower.

mae
12-19-2008, 07:14 AM
It was well written and used a writing tense that is difficult for a writer to really pull off.

Which tense is that?

Daghain
12-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Three. It was okay, but not spectacular.

Matt
12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
5 for me, but then I have a big thing for zombies. I loved the President of Harvard and the communication there. It was great. The ending was a little blah, but it's really not about the ending, is it?

I enjoy reading fluff every now and then. It clears the mind. Fluff books make me happy. Especially when I can get a lot of satisfaction out of reading them. This one satisfied me.

I agree on every level. :thumbsup:

Sam
12-19-2008, 06:19 PM
It was well written and used a writing tense that is difficult for a writer to really pull off.

Which tense is that?

Third person limited. The tendency for writers is to use an omniscient author who knows everything. The Stand is a good example as it detailed everything that was happening with the characters. Rage (if I remember) was written in the first tense where the narrator is also part of the story and the story is told from the point of view. Third person limited (Cell) is told from the point of view of one character. It is difficult to carry through an entire novel because the tendency is to tell things that are going on that the main character would not know about. To fix this, other characters tend to overexplain things so the reader will not feel like they're lost. This makes the story a little unreal to me. I thought King pulled it off well though as there were times where I was lost as hell and it wasn't because I wasn't paying attention and missed something. It was because Clayton was just as in the dark as I was. I thought that took some work and talent.

obscurejude
12-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Really good points Sam. :thumbsup: Its been awhile since I read it, but I'm picking up what you're laying down perfectly.

astifledchance
12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
I really loved the story but I felt that the writing itself left a lot to be desired. The opening scene is brilliant ..one of my favorites in his books..it just starts with a bang. No need to know the character already..we are thrown right in and get to know him as it goes along. I liked that about it.

Patrick
12-19-2008, 10:44 PM

Which tense is that?

Third person limited. The tendency for writers is to use an omniscient author who knows everything. The Stand is a good example as it detailed everything that was happening with the characters. Rage (if I remember) was written in the first tense where the narrator is also part of the story and the story is told from the point of view. Third person limited (Cell) is told from the point of view of one character. It is difficult to carry through an entire novel because the tendency is to tell things that are going on that the main character would not know about. To fix this, other characters tend to overexplain things so the reader will not feel like they're lost. This makes the story a little unreal to me. I thought King pulled it off well though as there were times where I was lost as hell and it wasn't because I wasn't paying attention and missed something. It was because Clayton was just as in the dark as I was. I thought that took some work and talent.

Excellent points explained well. Thanks, Sam.

I liked this book, so I gave it a 4.

However I would give the ending a 5. I loved it.

Heather19
12-20-2008, 08:02 AM
I really loved the story but I felt that the writing itself left a lot to be desired. The opening scene is brilliant ..one of my favorites in his books..it just starts with a bang. No need to know the character already..we are thrown right in and get to know him as it goes along. I liked that about it.

:thumbsup: I loved that opening scene.

flaggwalkstheline
12-20-2008, 09:14 AM
5 cell was INTENSE reminded me of some of the bachman books
the dark tower connections were subtle but awesomethe raggedy man is randal flagg after his "death" at the mandibles of mordred (I think)

Whitey Appleseed
12-21-2008, 06:36 AM
This one gave me nightmares, images where I'm excluded, though SK smiled when I saw him in the gas station...before he left with a bunch of people hunkered down in one of the aisles. Nothing quite like living in a small town where you always seem to come up with the wrong colored rock. Some day I'll figure that one out...or maybe not.

JiMiTHiNG
12-23-2008, 02:53 PM
I have it a low 4. It was worth reading for sure, and was fun. However its not one where I remember the characters in much detail. For a King work they all seemed a little 'card board cut-out'. This was a fun book and really just Kings take on Zombies. This would be a fun one to curl up in your favorite chair, in front of the fireplace and read with some wine or popcorn. However this is not one of the deep, moving, haunting King works. Don't know if flaggwalkstheline's Dark Tower connection is valid or not.. I personally didn't make that connection..but its possible.

Matt
12-23-2008, 03:09 PM
I tend to agree with you Jim--and welcome to the site.

Drumblebum
12-23-2008, 08:59 PM
This book was awesome. Not a masterpiece by S.K. standards, but really cool. I see a few bashing it, and can't understand... but I promise I'll try!:) I sort of agree with Jim on this one... definitely fun.

mia/susannah
12-24-2008, 06:40 AM
I gave this book a 4. It was a good book but not a favorite.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-25-2008, 08:45 PM
I missed the polling on this bracket. It is the first bracket I have missed. :[ , but I would have given this book a 4. I liked it much better that many of the other recent King works. It was an idea that has been very overworked, but then King was overdue to address the Zombie issue. Well, I guess Pet Sematary was a book about Zombies to some extent.

As to the mention of tense above. I though that It was appropriate for the book and gave an added sense of isolation.