PDA

View Full Version : Books VS. Movies

Letti
07-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Usually when I read a book I can't stand the move which was made from it. I think it's damn hard to make a really good movie from an incredibly good book.
But if I watch a movie which was made from a book and I like it.. when I read its book I often feel.. I don't really know.. I often feel confused but still I usually prefer the book.

And it happens that I like the movie better but it's rare. For example I loved Narnia but I liked the film more somehow.

What about you? Which do you prefer?

Mordred Deschain
07-29-2007, 02:51 PM
I agree, in general. For instance, I understand why the movies are different than the book, but sometimes I think the director themselves might miss the point. I think there's tons of things that should have been different about the Harry Potter films. I think that they focused on some of the wrong issues and left out valuable information for the entire plot. But, I will say that I thought Peter Jackson did a beautiful job with Lord of the Rings. If someone was not a book reader, they would get Tolkien's vision thru the movies.

ZoNeSeeK
07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah, its pretty much up to the screenplay adaption writers and director as to whether the film will do the book justice or not... but i think films have to be judged seperately from the books as someone's different interpretation or vision of a story can still be very good, even if its not exactly true to the book.

Mordred Deschain
07-30-2007, 02:37 PM
That's what my arguments with Dune fans are. The book Awesome, the movie and mini-series are alright, but you have to look at the interpretation.

Daghain
07-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm with Letti on this one. I'm picky about this stuff anyway, and when the movie deviates too far from the book, it ticks me right off. I do think the Harry Potter films are some of the better ones I've seen when it comes to following the general story, but probably 75% of the movies they've made from King's books are not "accurate" enough for my tastes. :)

And it really, really ticks me off when a character is described in the book as a blond, and they hire a brunette actor. Come on, you couldn't find a blond actor in Hollywood? Seriously. If you're not even going to try to be accurate, don't try at all.

MonteGss
07-30-2007, 08:47 PM
And it really, really ticks me off when a character is described in the book as a blond, and they hire a brunette actor. Come on, you couldn't find a blond actor in Hollywood? Seriously. If you're not even going to try to be accurate, don't try at all.

I agree with this part Daghain. Well said!
The absolute least a director can do is to hire people that resemble their descriptions in the book.

Mordred Deschain
07-31-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm with Letti on this one. I'm picky about this stuff anyway, and when the movie deviates too far from the book, it ticks me right off. I do think the Harry Potter films are some of the better ones I've seen when it comes to following the general story, but probably 75% of the movies they've made from King's books are not "accurate" enough for my tastes. :)

Please!! The Harry Potter movies are missing so much of the main point it's unbelievable! I mean, come one, they centralize on Harry, but they don't even dive into "why". I have had alot of friends ask me "what the f'n is going on?" after watching the HP movies and not reading the book.

I do agree with the second part, only if it really matters. Blond, Brunnette, red head. There aim is on the personality.

Daghain
08-01-2007, 09:15 AM
I know they cut a LOT from HP, but it's still possible to follow the storyline, IMHO. Some movies based on books I've seen appear to only have used the title and the names of the characters they're so far off. :)

Mordred Deschain
08-01-2007, 09:37 AM
By gan...I know what you mean, I'm trying to think of a really good example.

Matt
08-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Lawnmower Man?

Jean
08-01-2007, 11:34 AM
in What Are You Currently Reading there's been talk about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which reminded me - that's one of the (very few indeed) movies that I personally find much better than the books they were made after.

MonteGss
08-01-2007, 11:46 AM
in What Are You Currently Reading there's been talk about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which reminded me - that's one of the (very few indeed) movies that I personally find much better than the books they were made after.

Wow, really Jean? I'm about half-way through the book right now, it is good. I will have to watch the movie again afterwards. I do remember liking it though. Interesting. :)

Mordred Deschain
08-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Lawnmower Man?

Ya, that's one of em. and the funny thing is, aren't some the King movies like that to.

Matt
08-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, that is a King movie. Based on a very short story. It was the first one that sprang to mind because I have King on the brain. :lol:

Mordred Deschain
08-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Well, that is a King movie. Based on a very short story. It was the first one that sprang to mind because I have King on the brain. :lol:

I know. what I ment is, aren't there other King movies like that?

Matt
08-02-2007, 06:09 AM
I think most were very good adaptations. I would consider The Running Man a complete failure.

I saw the movie before I read the story and the movie was nothing like it.

Cutter
08-02-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm sure everyone is going to pick on me for this (because I'm going against everyone), but honestly I usually don't care how much they deviate from the book, just as long as it has the same theme and the movie is good. The reason being, the movies are never like the book, and I don't treat them, that way. If I want the book, then I'll read the book.

An example of my personal thoughts on the subject is The Talisman is now going to be a mini-series. That's enough for me, I know Spielberg is the executive producer, and it will be long enough to explain the story. If it sucks, oh well, or if they remove a scene from the book, oh well. The real point to me is at least it's getting made. That's the important thing for me, not if they stay true to the book, I just want to see a movie adaptation. (everyone feel free to berate me, lol). Now if were are talking about the Lawnmower Man then I strongly say stay true to the book!

As you can see I'm pretty easy to please :)

Jean
08-02-2007, 07:34 AM
I'm sure everyone is going to pick on me for this (because I'm going against everyone), but honestly I usually don't care how much they deviate from the book, just as long as it has the same theme and the movie is good. The reason being, the movies are never like the book, and I don't treat them, that way. If I want the book, then I'll read the book.
No, not against everyone. I think exactly the same. For example, the only passable Dickens adaptation was Oliver!, - a musical, which had hardly anything in common with text, but captured the very spirit; likewise, Fagin there was a very, very Dickensian character although he was nothing like in the book. All adaptations that tried to be true to the text were just boring, because you can't put some writers to the screen verbatim, or you'll lose everything. Precisely because movies and books are so very different.

Daghain
08-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Jean, I LOVE that musical! I saw it when I was younger and didn't read Dickens until much later, but for some reason I don't equate musicals with the books they're based on. I have no idea why.

But yeah, that movie was great! :D

Jean
08-02-2007, 09:06 AM
oh Irish Dawn http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif, you've made my day!

On the general subject of movies and musicals, though, I often thought the opposite way, - that musicals may be the only way to render a really good book into the language of cinema. For example, I can see a TDT musical very well in my mind... or Gone With The Wind musical, if that silly goose Mitchell hadn't explicitly forbidden to make one. Look at Jesus Christ Superstar, and then at all those dull and drab movies made by evangelists!

Daghain
08-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't know if I could handle a TDT musical. There's something about a singing Roland that just seems too weird. :scared:

GWTW, however....that would have been interesting. :)

Mordred Deschain
08-02-2007, 07:25 PM

An example of my personal thoughts on the subject is The Talisman is now going to be a mini-series. That's enough for me, I know Spielberg is the executive producer, and it will be long enough to explain the story. If it sucks, oh well, or if they remove a scene from the book, oh well. The real point to me is at least it's getting made. That's the important thing for me, not if they stay true to the book, I just want to see a movie adaptation. (everyone feel free to berate me, lol). Now if were are talking about the Lawnmower Man then I strongly say stay true to the book!

As you can see I'm pretty easy to please :)

I generally agree. I just hate when they really mess it up.

Matt
08-03-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't put too much stock in it but it does kind of irritate me when they blatantly lose the story thread.

Letti
08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't know if I could handle a TDT musical. There's something about a singing Roland that just seems too weird. :scared:

:lol:
And dancing with an umbrella in his hand? Does it sound better? :lol:

Daghain
08-03-2007, 01:50 PM
LOL nope, don't think so. :)

Jean
08-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't know. If singing Jesus and Judas are ok - and even someone who is very anti-Christian would admit, I hope, that at least as literary characters they don't exactly belong to Singing in the Rain, - why not Roland?

Daghain: about books and musicals again - the best Shakespearean adaptation I know is West-Side Story.

Letti
08-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I wish I could look into your mind Jean and I could see that musical.

Daghain
08-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I haven't actually sat through all of West-Side Story. I guess I'll have to, someday.

I DO know the worst one ever had to be the recent Love's Labor Lost - I think Nathan Lane needed the rent money. Hideous.

Hmmm. Which makes me think of a new topic. :)

kithereal
08-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Silence Of The Lambs was an awesome movie, I found the book to be rather bland in comparison.

kit

Odetta
08-08-2007, 06:48 PM
for the most part, I would prefer the books to the movies...
In SK books, that has ALWAYS been true.

Letti
08-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Sorry to say this but most of the SK movies are horrible.

MonteGss
08-10-2007, 03:22 PM
:o

fernandito
08-10-2007, 03:23 PM
You look surprised Monte...

MonteGss
08-10-2007, 03:25 PM
:)
What about Shawshank?
What about Misery?

Daghain
08-10-2007, 03:31 PM
What about The Green Mile?

fernandito
08-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Well, she said most, not all. :)

But yes, you guys are correct, those are definitely exceptions.

Mordred Deschain
08-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Feverishparade is the exception! :)

Letti
08-10-2007, 11:28 PM
What about The Green Mile?

Yesyes. I have said most and not all so don't be so surprised.
The Green Mile is the bestest exception. That film.. rocks.

Jean
08-10-2007, 11:30 PM
I am afraid I am the only one who didn't like the Green Mile. Neither the film nor even the book. The only King movie I loved was Shawshank.

Letti
08-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I am afraid I am the only one who didn't like the Green Mile. Neither the film nor even the book. The only King movie I loved was Shawshank.

Don't be afraid dear Jean. I would be very surprised (and I don't like being surprised :D) if you liked any of them.:huglove:

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Stand By Me? Easily the best!

MonteGss
08-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Jean, I wasn't a big fan of the movie but I did enjoy it. I actually thought it was better than the book, in terms of entertainment. The book was pretty good but I'm in no hurry at all to read that a second time.

fernandito
08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Feverishparade is the exception! :)

I don't know why, but this is cauisng me great amusment in my current drunken-state. :lol: Gracias Seņor Mordred.

Jean
08-11-2007, 10:09 PM

Jean, I wasn't a big fan of the movie but I did enjoy it. I actually thought it was better than the book, in terms of entertainment. The book was pretty good but I'm in no hurry at all to read that a second time.
Well, the Green Mile movie was definitely shorter than the book, and I am very sorry to say that it was what really made it better (a very rare case with King). I still feel kinda ashamed for the filmmakers when I remember that stardust from John's mouth... so very Disney-ish.

MonteGss
08-12-2007, 03:15 AM
that stardust from John's mouth... so very Disney-ish.

Telynn
08-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't know. If singing Jesus and Judas are ok - and even someone who is very anti-Christian would admit, I hope, that at least as literary characters they don't exactly belong to Singing in the Rain, - why not Roland?

Daghain: about books and musicals again - the best Shakespearean adaptation I know is West-Side Story.

This made me think of Clint Eastwood singing in Paint your Wagons. While I love that movie, Clint should not sing.

Matt
08-18-2007, 09:06 AM
He did try hard though didn't he? :lol:

That movie is a classic!!

Nice to see you Telynn :D

Telynn
08-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks, nice to see everyone too.

Yep, Paint Your Wagons is one of those must rent and show to the younger generation movies.

Girlystevedave
10-11-2007, 08:59 PM
I think one of the best movie adaptations, was Secret Window. I was nervous when I first saw it, but surprised that it kept true to the book.

Letti
10-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I think one of the best movie adaptations, was Secret Window. I was nervous when I first saw it, but surprised that it kept true to the book.
I have heared about that movie I am planning to watch it.

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-12-2007, 05:22 AM
i would say that the movies adaptations of books suk

except The Shaw Shank Redemption one of my favorite movies of all time

Storyslinger
10-12-2007, 07:25 AM
For the most part, a movie can never top a book, but there are those rare occasions where the movie is acctually quite good

Asterisco
10-19-2007, 11:47 AM
A movie can never match a good book, but The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, The Green Mile and Misery where close enough...!

Letti
10-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Yes, The Green Mile will be a big favourite for me as long as I live. Tom Hanks was simply amazing.

Jean
10-19-2007, 10:41 PM
the only movie I can think of that is better than the book is Rebecca.

Letti
10-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I loved the Narnia movie more than the book. Maybe because first I saw the movie and after that I read the book. The book was good too but somehow the movie could get me into that world more.

Wuducynn
10-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Did you read the series Letti?

Letti
10-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Did you read the series Letti?

Just the second book.

Brice
10-20-2007, 02:45 AM
You should read the whole series. It is wonderful.

Letti
10-20-2007, 03:13 AM
You should read the whole series. It is wonderful.
I am planning to.

MonteGss
10-20-2007, 08:17 AM
I liked the Narnia books too. You should totally read them, I got them last year all together in one large book. Good stuff! The movie translated fairly well too. :)

Wuducynn
10-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Hear them! Hear them! Letti, if you'd like, I'll fly you over to the US in my private jet and you can buy the whole series here while I give you a whirlwind tour of the States in my stretch limo. Only caveat is that you have to leave your boyfriend at home.

Daghain
10-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I liked the Narnia books too. You should totally read them, I got them last year all together in one large book. Good stuff! The movie translated fairly well too.

Maybe there's just too much recovering Catholic in me, but I totally hated The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I refuse to see the movie. I felt like I was getting a sermon shoved down my throat.

Wuducynn
10-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I liked the Narnia books too. You should totally read them, I got them last year all together in one large book. Good stuff! The movie translated fairly well too.

Maybe there's just too much recovering Catholic in me, but I totally hated The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I refuse to see the movie. I felt like I was getting a sermon shoved down my throat.

You must have REALLY loved The Last Battle then..

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-20-2007, 03:52 PM
i never realy liked narnia movie so i didnt read the books but since every one likes them i should give the books a try

Hannah
10-20-2007, 06:36 PM
I thought the movie was awful. My sister and I went through the whole movie cracking jokes and giggling like crazy.

MonteGss
10-20-2007, 10:02 PM

You must have REALLY loved The Last Battle then..

MonteGss
10-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I think people can find religion in any book they go looking for it. I'm not very religious and although I can understand other's points on its appearance in the Narnia books, it never crossed my mind when reading the series. I just enjoy a good story. :)

Darkthoughts
10-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Good point Monte, although I believe CS Lewis intentionally wrote the Narnia Chronicles that way :)

Wuducynn
10-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Good point Monte, although I believe CS Lewis intentionally wrote the Narnia Chronicles that way :)

You're right to believe that.

Daghain
10-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Yeah, it was just too glaringly obvious to me, so much so that it took me out of the story. Oh well. :D

CRinVA
10-23-2007, 06:11 AM
I tend to separate the movie from the written tale and treat each differently - As long as the major themes are not messed with I am OK with Director's changes, etc.. I would always rather read the book first and watch the movie second! As an example I liked Dreamcatcher and I liked the movie although I was irritated at how they treated Duddits. And I have read a quote from Stephen King that he absolutely loved the Movie version! Go figure!