PDA

View Full Version : Book Collection: carlosdetweiller

Pages : [1] 2 3

carlosdetweiller
12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
As requested in a Calvin's Corner thread titled "Bookcases" here are some photos of my basement. My basement is pretty big, about 38 feet by 19 feet in the main area and a smaller room that is about 10 feet by 14 feet. As you will see it is pretty full of books.

Here is a photo of what I would call the "King wall." I'll post some closer pictures later.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/kingwall1.jpg

The first bookcases house my King trade editions: starting with CARRIE in the top case of the second stack and going chronologically through JUST AFTER SUNSET. The top two cases of the second stack go through FIRESTARTER and then the sequencing goes to the top case of the first stack with some more FIRESTARTERs and goes left to right through the first three stacks. That's probably confusing but you can see what I mean, I think.

Also in the picture is John Stewart's painting of Nort the Weedeater that was used as the cover for the King issue of Whispers Magazine and an acrylic painting by Michael Whelan from DT 7. Rachel Readman's sculpture named "Constant Reader" and a traycase for "The New Lt's. Rap" manuscript are also there.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/kingwall2.jpg

carlosdetweiller
12-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Starting with the case under the fake plant are King limiteds, starting with FIRESTARTER and occupying fully that stack and the next one. Also in the picture are a couple of paintings by Michael Whelan from DT1: The Gunslinger. Also in the picture are a painted resin model of Carrie, custom traycase for 'SALEM'S LOT with first state dj, a fake plant, custom traycase for THE PLANT, custom traycase for long galley proof of THE SHINING and another small Michael Whelan from DT 7.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/kingwall3.jpg

carlosdetweiller
12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
The next tall stack and the shorter one next to it house UK editions (trade and limited). Above the shorter stack are another Whelan painting from DT1: The Gunslinger and painted resin models of Pennywise and a gothic vampire (it was supposed to be Barlow but I don't think it is).

The next tall stack is Dark Tower books and the last shorter stack is Richard Bachman books. Above that is a Wrightson painting from CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF and a couple of vampire thingys.

You can sort of get a peek into the "back room" there to the right but that will have to wait for another day.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/kingwall4.jpg

carlosdetweiller
12-17-2008, 02:16 PM
This shorter wall has my Charnel House books (lettered and numbered), Michael Crichton in the middle and the smaller of the Centipede/Millipede Press books on the right.

Above the bookcases are paintings by Don Maitz (DESPERATION), Rick Berry (reissued edition of THE TALISMAN), Phil Hale (INSOMNIA), Rick Berry (BLACK HOUSE), Rick Berry (reissued edition of THE TALISMAN) and Alan Clark.

And that'll do it for now. The other two walls and the "back room" as time allows.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/frontwall1.jpg

e_taylor
12-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Only one word comes to mind: wow. I think since about the first week I was on this site I've dreamed of the day you would post more pictures of your collection, Bob.

Merry Early Christmas to us!

pickle
12-17-2008, 02:53 PM
WTF!!! Man you are now my hero lol

That is the best room i have ever seen. Just one question though, why do you have multiple copies of the same books? Is it just for the sake of having them or for a particular reason? For example in the first picture there is what looks like 4 copies of the stand that look exactly the same.

Letti
12-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Your basement looks like the king of dream libraries... or heaven.

carlosdetweiller
12-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Probably the least interesting is the back wall where there are some built in bookshelves, cabinets, etc. On the left: top row - miscellaneous hard to classify books (mostly trade editions), middle row - Signet/Plume DT books, proofs, etc., bottom row - later trade editions.

On the right: top two rows - all of George Beahm's books, bottom row - various reference books and some Carl Barks (Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge) books.

On the shelf is the computer where I spend WAY too much time looking for books to buy and talking to you guys.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/backwall1.jpg

carlosdetweiller
12-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Just one question though, why do you have multiple copies of the same books? Is it just for the sake of having them or for a particular reason? For example in the first picture there is what looks like 4 copies of the stand that look exactly the same.

You know, when I first started collecting King all I wanted was a "hardback" edition of each of his books. I didn't know much about first editions, limited editions, proofs, etc. What you see is the result of 25 years of collecting. In the case of the early Doubleday books I do have multiple copies of each. Some are signed or inscribed, some are review copies, some are just regular trade editions. It is also hard for me to pass up what I think is a bargain. Over the years I have seen many books on ABE and eBay that were selling at a fraction of their worth. I bought them and just stuck them on the shelf with the others.

Patrick
12-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Simply amazing! What an incredible collection you've built, Bob. Truly spectacular. Outstanding!

On the shelf is the computer where I spend WAY too much time looking for books to buy and talking to you guys.

If I had a basement like yours, I'd spend every free minute down there too!

Patrick
12-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Bookshelf question for you, Bob:

Do those shelves have room enough to stand up your taller collectible books? I'm thinking of MY PRETTY PONY, 'SALEM'S LOT S/L, EOTD S/L, etc.

carlosdetweiller
12-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Do those shelves have room enough to stand up your taller collectible books? I'm thinking of MY PRETTY PONY, 'SALEM'S LOT S/L, EOTD S/L, etc.

No. They have about 12" of vertical space. I can get the S/L SKELETON CREW and CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF in them but the others are in the "back room."

Patrick
12-17-2008, 03:40 PM

No. They have about 12" of vertical space. I can get the S/L SKELETON CREW and CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF in them but the others are in the "back room."
Thanks. Can't wait to see the back room!

gsvec
12-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm dumbfounded at what I'm seeing here, Bob. An absolutely amazing collection with phenominal presentation. The "back room" most definitely has my curiousity piqued - especially with the two glimpses I can see in what you've already posted.

Do you have a spare room you'd consider renting out?

gsvec
12-17-2008, 03:52 PM

With 12" on the inside, are your shelves the 13 1/8" units or the 15 1/8" units?

Tatts4Life
12-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Oh man those pictures are awesome. I love how you set up your basement. :drool:

Patrick
12-17-2008, 03:56 PM
That's exactly what I was going to ask, Gretchen. :)

carlosdetweiller
12-17-2008, 04:08 PM
With 12" on the inside, are your shelves the 13 1/8" units or the 15 1/8" units?

Mine measure about 14 and 1/4" tall on the outside. Standard depth.

Here is the page with my model #314.

http://www.bluehen.com/hale-barrister-bookcases-p-373.html#description1

blg
12-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Absolutely amazing collection!

jhanic
12-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Bob, I remember seeing these in the other site. They never cease to amaze me!

John

Nerak
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
And it will all be mine when Daddy goes to the clearing at the end of the path! :couple:

carlosdetweiller
12-17-2008, 07:17 PM
And it will all be mine when Daddy goes to the clearing at the end of the path! :couple:

gsvec is asking about renting your room. What do you think?

bast_imret
12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
:scared:

Wow. I knew you had a mighty impressive collection, Bob, but seeing it all there together in those beautiful bookshelves, and with the original Whelan DT art, and the accent lighting . . . words escape me.

Very nice :clap:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Very impressive Bob. Thanks for sharing your rooms with us. Your choice of bookshelves compliment the rest of the décor, and the paintings/frames fit in well.

Your pictures have given me some ideas, and also changed my mind about some ideas I had for my collection. I would have stacked mine 5 high all along the wall, but now I can see that would be wrong. The 3 high ones leave room to display the “special items” at the correct height to view them properly.

I never thought to display my proofs alongside the trade editions. It seems to work quite well in your display. Maybe it works better because you have several copies of the same book together. (I only have one copy of each book)

We all know this is only part of your superb collection, and look forward to a glimpse into the “back room”, and the fourth wall. I bet you have the same problem as the rest of us. What do we do with the magazines and college stuff? Are your slipcased manuscripts in there as well?

wizardsrainbow
12-18-2008, 04:40 AM
AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH. I cannot see Bob's pictures from my work computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to wait the whole day, just knowing they are posted and I can't see them.

<Uh, Boss, I'm not feeling too well. Can I go home early?>

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 04:49 AM
I never thought to display my proofs alongside the trade editions. It seems to work quite well in your display. Maybe it works better because you have several copies of the same book together. (I only have one copy of each book)

We all know this is only part of your superb collection, and look forward to a glimpse into the “back room”, and the fourth wall. I bet you have the same problem as the rest of us. What do we do with the magazines and college stuff? Are your slipcased manuscripts in there as well?

Over the years I have displayed the books in just about every sequence I could think of. US trades, foreign trades and S/L's together by title, proofs separate from trades, etc. The only thing I think I haven't done is alphabetical by title (that would be too weird). My present display order is the one that is most pleasing to me and makes more sense to me but each collector gets to decide that for himself.

I have a system in place for magazines and college stuff in the back room. It's not the most visually pleasing part of my collection but it is functional.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Here are a couple of photos of the last wall in the basement's main room. In the center of the room is something I am really proud of. The desk and chairs are from my great uncle. He was a urologist and he practiced medicine from this desk for many years. When he died my great aunt gave it to me. I lugged it around for many years and many Army moves. When we settled here I found a wonderful furniture restorer/refinisher and he got it looking brand new.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/longwall1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/longwall2.jpg

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 05:12 AM
The first stack of three cases is different editions of Dracula, ranging from the first edition in 1897 to an edition by the Folio Society in 2008. I don't have them all, of course, but I do have lots of time.

First shelf, second stack - Shirley Jackson (no relation) novels in US and UK first editions.

Second shelf - various horror novels like PSYCHO, THE EXORCIST, ROSEMARY'S BABY, HELL HOUSE, THE OTHER, etc. Sort of the high points of modern horror (according to me).

Bottom shelf - DRACULA run overs and older books like THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, FRANKENSTEIN, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, etc.

On the wall are some pages of art by Bernie Wrightson from CREEPSHOW.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/longwall3.jpg

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 05:21 AM
The tall stack with five cases is all Anne Rice. I really liked the early vampire books and liked some of the books about the Mayfair witches. I don't like her more recent stuff at all but for some reason I keep collecting her books. I'm working on getting proofs of all of her books right now. Some, especially the UK proofs, are really hard.

To the right of that case is Stephen Gervais' artwork from the Grant edition of CHRISTINE.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/longwall4.jpg

On top of the next short stack is supposed to be a piece of Lugosi's cape that he wore onstage as Dracula. The cape was given by Lugosi to Forry Ackerman. The guy who bought the cape at auction cut it all up (a shame, IMO) and sold pieces of it.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 05:24 AM
The next three stacks of only two cases high are all F. Paul Wilson. I really like most of his stuff, especially the recent Repairman Jack stories.

On the middle case are two models of Christine that I have shown before. One looking showroom new and the other appearing very weathered.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/longwall5.jpg

idlewarnings
12-18-2008, 05:33 AM
I've been waiting for a tour of your basement like this for years. It's like visiting Mecca. Thanks for sharing, Bob.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 05:39 AM
The next tall stack of five cases is all Peter Straub: US and UK trade editions, proofs, S/L's, early poetry, etc. If it is Straub you name it and I have it.

Straub continues on the top two cases of the next stack. Robert McCammon is on the bottom shelf.

The top two shelves of the next stack are early Dean Koontz (up to STRANGERS) and all of his pseudonyms (Brian Coffey, K. R. Dwyer, etc.) in US and UK firsts.

The bottom shelf is McCammon overflow and King overflow (DUMA KEY and JUST AFTER SUNSET).

The last stack is all Dan Simmons.

On the wall are paintings by Bernie Wrightson from FROM A BUICK 8, CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF & WOLVES OF THE CALLA.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/longwall6.jpg

So, that is my basement. My gracious wife lets me do pretty much what I want with the room. I spend a LOT of time down here and keep thinking of ways to improve the display. The biggest problem, of course, is shelf space which is the universal problem of all book collectors.

Next up, the "back room." This will be a challenge for my limited photographic skills. The room is small and there is LOTS of stuff in it. Give me a day or two and I'll try to take some presentable shots.

Brice
12-18-2008, 06:30 AM
It's absolutely beautiful, Bob. I've long admired what I've seen of your collection in the past. To see it all together is simply beathtaking. I am speechless.

Cutter
12-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks for showing your collection Bob, it is just amazing. This is the sort of basement I aspire to achieve someday with my book collecting habits. Although I'll never come close, but one can try. :)

And you have made your basement into a work of art. The bookshelves, how everything is displayed and the scattered artwork throughout the room is just beautiful.

I also like that you collect other stuff besides King, the Straub, Dracula, Wilson, Charnel House books, etc... are all also very nice!

btw, I have never seen a set of the Charnel House Lettered Editions. Can I make a request to see those in a "close up" photo?

e_taylor
12-18-2008, 07:27 AM
This thread is now one of my favourites on the board. I agree with all the other sentiments here, your basement is really a work of art!

On a side note, as of now I have plans to attend the World Horror Convention in May - one of the guests of honor is F. Paul Wilson - feel free to send me a box of "to be signed" stuff. (I'll shoot you an email at the start of April once my plans have been confirmed).

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Bob. The full view of the long wall is spectacular. Probably the best yet. The desk and chairs fit perfectly. I could sit at that desk for days just gazing in wonder. Thanks for the pictures and descriptions.

wizardsrainbow
12-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Here are a couple of photos of the last wall in the basement's main room. In the center of the room is something I am really proud of. The desk and chairs are from my great uncle. He was a urologist and he practiced medicine from this desk for many years. When he died my great aunt gave it to me. I lugged it around for many years and many Army moves. When we settled here I found a wonderful furniture restorer/refinisher and he got it looking brand new.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/longwall1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/longwall2.jpg

^%$#@$ Bob, your KILLIN' me here :wtf: Can't wait to see the pictures that go with your commentary AND to show my wife that I am not so strange after all. LOL

Nerak
12-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Ah, Bob, I will come take pictures for you if you want.

sentinel
12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Outstanding Bob, very impressive, it makes me feel better about all
the auctions I've lost to you!
I also have a basement collection and your photos give me some great
ideas for layout.
I've also got an antique roll-top desk that is an heirloom.
Thanks for sharing.

Sir_Boomme
12-18-2008, 02:22 PM
bob... everytime i see your collection i am totally jaw dropping amazed..... and totally pissed off with jealousy.

you actually stunted my collecting a couple of years ago... before i first saw your collection, i had this unfounded grand fantasy of putting together the world's greatest privately held king collection in the world...outside of king's house.... and have spent tens of thousands of dollars over the past ten years working to get there...

THEN.... i saw your damned collection and realized i'd never come close- as long as you live... it is a futile pipe dream.... no matter how much money i poured into the dream. since then... i've curbed my buying 10 fold - so in a way you've saved me lots of money.

knowing that i'd never own the title... made me realize i'd have look to other methods to get into the guiness book - so i've revamped... chucked my king collection dreams... and started a rubberband ball....they're cheaper than rare books and art anyways.

so thanks a lot you damned dream bandit... and thanks for killing me with pics of your awesome basement - yet again...
now hurry up and torture me with the pics of the "backroom"

waaaaaahhhhh :dance:

the least you could do is give me a tour some day.... i might forgive you then

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 02:52 PM
since then... i've curbed my buying 10 fold - so in a way you've saved me lots of money.

Terry,
I'm glad I have helped.

As for the tour, I have invited you in the past. All you have to do is come. It would be a pleasure to show you around.

Patrick
12-18-2008, 02:53 PM
:lol: Great post, Terry.

Bob, thanks for posting that fourth wall. Again you amaze!

So does Hale give you a volume discount on the barrister bookshelves? You've clearly invested thousands in those alone!

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 03:01 PM
So does Hale give you a volume discount on the barrister bookshelves? You've clearly invested thousands in those alone!

Unfortunately, no.

Patrick
12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Well, they should.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 03:13 PM
btw, I have never seen a set of the Charnel House Lettered Editions. Can I make a request to see those in a "close up" photo?

I'll try. But they really don't look like much on the shelf and in their traycases. Still, here they are.

First picture - Books too tall to fit in the case. The Odd Thomas books (on the right), Koontz' FRANKENSTEIN (green traycase on the left) and the latest lettered THE DARKEST EVENING OF THE YEAR (because there is no room in the case for it).

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/charnelhouse1.jpg

Second picture - Lettered copies chronologically. I think Charnel has published 21 books to date (not counting THE REGULATORS). I bought a set of letter "C" books when there were only about six books published and have kept the matching set going.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/charnelhouse2.jpg

Third picture - Numbered copies chronologically. I've got number "4" and am still keeping it current.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/charnelhouse3.jpg

Clacke
12-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Wow! An amazing Charnel House collection!! Thank you for showing those. I love the Charnel House stuff - some serious love goes into the production of those books.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Here are some photos of the "back room." It's about 10 feet x 14 feet. I'm not sure its original purpose but it has a couple of handy closets. I needed extra shelf space and hung a lot of those customizable shelfs by Elfa (I think that is the name).

It is very cluttered right now. Several paintings from upstairs are stored here while Christmas decorations take their place for a couple of months. Actually, it is always cluttered.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/backroom1.jpg

The first picture shows some standard furniture store syle bookcases. I've got a bunch of Koontz paperbacks, a bunch of King paperbacks, a decent Ray Garton collection and a bunch of Peter Straub anthology appearances in these. On the wall are Bernie Wrightson (THE STAND), J. K. Potter (SKELETON CREW) and Erik Wilson (LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA from LEGENDS) pieces. Cujo guitar leaning over on the right.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Here are a couple of photos of one of the walls.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/backroom2.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/backroom3.jpg

The top three rows of shelves are all anthology appearances of King's fiction arranged chronologically. There are proofs, trades, signed copies, signed limiteds, etc. Starting on the top row with some 1978 anthologies and continuing to 2008 at the end of the third row. This is an area I work on a lot. Let's see: 14 feet times 3 is 42 linear feet of anthologies with King fiction in them!

As new books come in I lay them on top of other books roughly in the year that they belong. The way they are arranged I can't just slip them into the correct year because there is no extra room. When I get several I spend quite a while moving books to get them all in their proper place. You can see I am completely out of shelf space. I don't know what I will do in 2009.

The bottom shelf is the only one that can house oversized books. On this shelf are the "Doubleday files" (old publishing documents, letters, etc. from King's days at Doubleday), THE EYES OF THE DRAGON, FROM A BUICK 8, 'SALEM'S LOT, a complete (to date) collection of Centipede Press books (gosh, they keep getting bigger), CREEPSHOW, MY PRETTY PONY, etc., as well as stuff I keep in bigger folders like Comics Review, Stories of Suspense).

gsvec
12-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow. Just when I think it can't get better, it does. Amazing. Two walls left! :clap:

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Here are a couple of photos of the opposite wall.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/backroom4.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/backroom5.jpg

On the top shelf are Dean Koontz books starting with WATCHERS and continuing to the present. I had to pack away all my Clive Barker books (they took up almost a whole shelf in this room) to make room for King. I think old Dean will be the next to go to storage.

On the second shelf are King non-fiction anthology appearances (trades, proofs, S/L's, etc.). They continue and take up most all of the third shelf too. The last part of the third shelf is books about King. Books by Bev Vincent, Rocky Wood, Tyson Blue, etc.

The bottom shelf is magazines, journals. The first seven magazine holders are magazines, journals with King non-fiction appearances. Ranging from "King's Garbage Truck" in The Maine Campus newspaper to the present, arranged chronologically. The next seven holders are magazine style publications with interviews or articles about King. The last ten holders are for fiction. Starting with the Startling Mystery Stories and all the college stuff (ONAN, MOTH, UBRIS) and continuing to the present.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 06:54 PM
A photo of the far wall. Closets at the end. In the closets are more books, one of the best collections of 1950's and 1960's Monster Magazines you could imagine, a couple of boxes holding all those Entertainment Weekly magazines, more boxes holding Castle Rock newsletters and Phantasmagoria by Beahm, two boxes holding duplicate Cavaliers, Gents and Nuggets. It's pretty packed in there.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/backroom6.jpg

And there you have it. A complete tour of the basement and "back room." Please watch your step on the way out.

Fsmdr
12-18-2008, 06:59 PM
What are those tabs at the bottom of the books on the shelves?. Are those your catalog system?. Do you offer 'back stage pass' to the back room, Bob?. :evil:

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2008, 07:05 PM
What are those tabs at the bottom of the books on the shelves?. Are those your catalog system?. Do you offer 'back stage pass' to the back room, Bob?. :evil:

Those are home made cards to designate the year. They are just 3 x 5 cards with label holders attached to them. One card for each year so I can (hopefully) keep things relatively straight.

I have one "back stage pass" waiting for you at the front door, Juliana.

Brice
12-19-2008, 04:19 AM
Wow! I am just amazed. So...now that we've seen it all what is the one item you (currently) most NEED for your collection? :orely:

And it's almost reached the point where you need a few librarians. :lol:

carlosdetweiller
12-19-2008, 04:36 AM
Wow! I am just amazed. So...now that we've seen it all what is the one item you (currently) most NEED for your collection?

At the top of my wish list is a proof copy of CARRIE. I also don't have proof copies of any of King's first five books published in the UK by NEL.

CRinVA
12-19-2008, 06:45 AM
I think I might go blind!

Simply AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what else to say, except THANKS for SHARING!!!! :-)

e_taylor
12-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Heres a question - Betts Describes Chris Cavilliers' (sp) collection as being the "super collection". Was his actually bigger than yours, or is it more so a marketing gimmick to say it was the biggest known SK collection? What pieces did he have that you didn't? and which ones do you have that he needed?

carlosdetweiller
12-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Heres a question - Betts Describes Chris Cavilliers' (sp) collection as being the "super collection". Was his actually bigger than yours, or is it more so a marketing gimmick to say it was the biggest known SK collection? What pieces did he have that you didn't? and which ones do you have that he needed?

I was very impressed with Chris's collection and felt in a lot of ways it was superior to mine. He had quite a bit more original manuscript material, more early proofs and, I think, more ultra expensive items.

In terms of sheer volume Chris's collection didn't approach mine as he didn't go into anthology and periodical appearances. And he didn't have any artwork that I know of.

I've been fortunate to have been "in the loop" when a couple of large collections were sold, got first dibs on many items and have filled many holes in my collection. I bought a ton of stuff when Charlie Fried and Chris sold their collections.

Tatts4Life
12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I LOVE you basement Bob. If I had a house that is how I would want it to look like. I'm just starting to collect. Right now the only book I can get is the LSOE AE. But hey it's a start.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
I LOVE you basement Bob. If I had a house that is how I would want it to look like. I'm just starting to collect. Right now the only book I can get is the LSOE AE. But hey it's a start.

All the collectors on here had to start somewhere. I started with a Carrie paperback. You could be the next carlosdetweiller.

Brice
12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
And that brings me to another question. What was your first King book...and do you still have it 25 years later?

Tatts4Life
12-19-2008, 09:59 AM

All the collectors on here had to start somewhere. I started with a Carrie paperback. You could be the next carlosdetweiller.

Well he did say that was 25 years worth of work. so hopefully in 25 years I will have at least something half that good.

carlosdetweiller
12-19-2008, 10:18 AM
And that brings me to another question. What was your first King book...and do you still have it 25 years later?

You bet I still have my first King book! A movie tie-in paperback edition of THE SHINING. I got it right after I saw the Kubrick movie in the theater.

Brice
12-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Right on! :) I know which edition you mean. I have one on my bookshelves too. I wish I still had my first King book.

sentinel
12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey Bob,
How do you store your periodicals? Is everything bagged/boarded by
year?alpha? title? King fiction? non-fiction? movie related?
I've got over 2000 magazines, newspapers etc...all King related and I'm overwhelmed at times to find a specific article!
thanks,
-Kerry

Cutter
12-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Simply a awesome collection of books!

and thanks for the Charnel House pictures. I can see where your coming from with the Lettereds, as they are traycased without any text. The numbered editions actually look better, because you can see the books and the name of the books. Thanks!

herbertwest
12-19-2008, 12:18 PM
speachless!

Really amazing!
I was already impressed, when this summer i've met probably the biggest french King collector... (and about any Fantastic books..)
But that even not close from that!

I dont have any word to express myself... !
Just... congratulations and THANK YOU for sharing the pictures :-)

carlosdetweiller
12-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey Bob,
How do you store your periodicals? Is everything bagged/boarded by
year?alpha? title? King fiction? non-fiction? movie related?
I've got over 2000 magazines, newspapers etc...all King related and I'm overwhelmed at times to find a specific article!
thanks,
-Kerry

I went into that a little bit with the last set of photos of the back room. Basically they are bagged and most are boarded. I have three categories:
1. Non-fiction appearances
2. Fiction appearances
3. Interviews and articles about King

They are arranged chronologically in each category. Go to page 2 of this thread and scroll down near the bottom for pictures. They are not pretty but I can usually lay my hands on what I want quickly IF I know the year. I don't think I have nearly as many as you though.

carlosdetweiller
12-19-2008, 01:16 PM

You bet I still have my first King book! A movie tie-in paperback edition of THE SHINING. I got it right after I saw the Kubrick movie in the theater.

Voila! The Alpha book!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/shiningpaperback-1.jpg

sentinel
12-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks Bob,
Sounds like pretty much the same I try to do. You do a
fantastic job of keeping it all organized and in showcase
condition.
Thanks again for sharing.
-K

Patrick
12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Bob, are you sharing photos of your own basement or is this actually the Special Collections Archive Of The Raymond Fogler library at the University of Maine at Orono?

I kid.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your collection with us. Stupendous!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Voila! The Alpha book!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/shiningpaperback-1.jpg

You should encase it in lucite :)

Fsmdr
12-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Bob,

Do you collect other promo items?. Bookmarks, postcards, globes, calender, etc. I know you have paperweights. I'm wondering what else I need to find to complete my postcard and bookmark collection.

funky dredd
12-21-2008, 09:13 AM
I am speechless to say the least! Just amazing and I absolutely love the artwork especially the Insomnia painting. It looks almost 3D (at least in presentation). If only I had the room for something like this (of course my wife wouldn't go for it though) I would be broke! I'd also have to give up my DJ studio and all of my vinyl (which I don't think will happen in this lifetime)!

wizardsrainbow
12-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Bob-

I seriously just wet my pants.
No words can adequately describe my thoughts.
As a collector myself, I know how proud you are of your collection...a labor of love. So, I think we each know how the other feels.
Well done. Simply outstanding.

carlosdetweiller
12-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Bob,

Do you collect other promo items?. Bookmarks, postcards, globes, calender, etc. I know you have paperweights. I'm wondering what else I need to find to complete my postcard and bookmark collection.

I think that I have posted pictures of any out-of-the-ordinary promotional items that I have on the promotional item thread. I have several bookmarks and postcards in a drawer but i don't think any of them are noteworthy. After the holidays I will dig through a drawer where all that stuff is and see if I can come up with anything I think you and the group might find interesting.

willie3
12-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Bob, there cannot be a collection anywhere as nicely displayed and arraigned as yours.

Absolutely beautiful.

Well done.

shnnrc01
12-25-2008, 04:45 AM
wow bob,amazing. thats a serious collection. well done.

nt07077
12-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Is anyone else having trouble looking at the pics? I really want to see them!!!!!!!!

Brice
12-25-2008, 05:21 PM
It must be something local, I think. I could be wrong, but I've used three different browsers and had no problems.

jhanic
12-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Is anyone else having trouble looking at the pics? I really want to see them!!!!!!!!

If you're trying it at work, your work server may be stopping them. This has happened to other individuals.

John

nt07077
12-25-2008, 10:28 PM
I can see them now, it was the shitty wireless down here in Mexico.............

Fsmdr
12-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Bob,

I think that I have posted pictures of any out-of-the-ordinary promotional items that I have on the promotional item thread. I have several bookmarks and postcards in a drawer but i don't think any of them are noteworthy. After the holidays I will dig through a drawer where all that stuff is and see if I can come up with anything I think you and the group might find interesting.

Thank you, Bob. I am very much looking forward to see them.

herbertwest
12-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Bob, you said that Chris Cavalier may have got more valuable items. What do you mean? Any exemples???

carlosdetweiller
12-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Bob, you said that Chris Cavalier may have got more valuable items. What do you mean? Any exemples???

Chris's collection is still for sale on the Betts Bookstore website and several representative examples are still unsold. Original manuscript material is what I was referring to mostly, but also early proofs and many signed items.

jhanic
12-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Here's the link:

Betts Super Collection (http://bettsbooks.com/w95020ah.html)

John

nt07077
12-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Bob, quick question. You stated that you have letters from King's days at Doubleday. Are any written by King and if so could you possibly list who they were written to (Bill Thompson, Sam Vaugh, etc.) and include any additional info for research purposes? Thanks.

PS: Freakin' awesome collection!:cowboy:

carlosdetweiller
12-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi Bob, quick question. You stated that you have letters from King's days at Doubleday. Are any written by King and if so could you possibly list who they were written to (Bill Thompson, Sam Vaugh, etc.) and include any additional info for research purposes? Thanks.

PS: Freakin' awesome collection!:cowboy:

Lots of letters by King to Bill Thompson, Kirby McCauley and Sam Vaughn. Lots of photocopies of letters by Thompson and Vaughn to King. I'm not comfortable posting the content of the letters. There is a lot of personal information in them.

nt07077
12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info Bob. Never heard of the Kirby McCauley letter but have read some address to the other people.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Bump!

Never tire of seeing this collection

carlosdetweiller
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Bump!

Never tire of seeing this collection

I take that as a VERY nice compliment. Thank you!

becca69
06-25-2009, 01:46 PM
wow, your collection is just amazing. i thought my king books took up some room... i was so wrong!

biomieg
07-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Hi Bob, first of all, my compliments: your collection is the best I've seen. Beautiful. I have a couple of questions for you:

1) You're the owner of one of those very scarce 'Salem's Lot dust jackets (five copies in existence, I was told), aren't you? Do you keep it on one of your 'Salem's Lot copies or is it stored separately?
2) You've mentioned you find it hard to pass up on a bargain and you've seen many collectible books sell for a fraction of their worth over the years. Any specific example you want to share (e.g., I bought a 1st/1st UK Bachman Books a couple of days ago for £0.99, is there something in your collection that comes to mind)?

carlosdetweiller
07-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the nice compliments.

I keep the first state 'SALEM'S LOT dust jacket on a nice first edition of the book and store it in a custom case that I commissioned from Dragonfly Bindery. Here are a couple of photos:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/salemscase1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/salemscase2.jpg

I don't have too many great bargain stories and certainly nothing of note found for under a dollar like your Bachman Books. I've been collecting for quite a long time and still consider my first signed King books a bargain by today's standards. I bought signed first editions of CARRIE and THE SHINING back in 1982 for $125 and $75 respectively from a book dealer not noted for bargain prices. And, my favorite, is a first edition of THE GUNSLINGER bought new in 1982 for $20.

jhanic
07-09-2009, 05:36 AM
That's a beautiful case!

John

biomieg
07-09-2009, 05:54 AM
That's a beautiful case indeed! And I think that buying The Gunslinger for $20 is an amazing bargain! Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Very nice custom case Bob. Grab it first if you ever have a fire!
And then go back for Judy :)

gsvec
07-09-2009, 01:54 PM
We all need to prioritize! :evil:

The Library Policeman
01-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Bob. That is easily the greatest Stephen King collection I have ever seen. The way you have your basement laid out, along with your art, looks magnificent.

I will be revisiting this thread regularly to look on in admiration and amazement.

Congratulations on an absolutely stunning collection. :thumbsup:

Room 217 Caretaker
01-02-2010, 05:13 AM
I agree with everyone else. I love how you have your collection setup.

The case for Salem's is the bomb.

Thank you for sharing that.

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

burial
01-02-2010, 05:53 AM
wow... i mean WOW... that spells W-O-W!!!

I'm getting sick now... this is a wonderful basement... I'd like to die there ;)

Matt
01-02-2010, 05:55 AM
:lol:

What a compliment! I think several of us would like to make Bob's basement our tomb.

Brice
01-02-2010, 05:56 AM
I'm sure anyone who goes there and starts touching some of that stuff can probably have their wish. :lol:

Nerak
01-02-2010, 07:41 AM
I am thinking on my way back from Vegas in June I am going to have to stop in Texas for a tour of the basement!

Room 217 Caretaker
01-02-2010, 09:31 AM
I am thinking on my way back from Vegas in June I am going to have to stop in Texas for a tour of the basement!

Karen

It is no longer known as The Basement.......it is now called The Bobsonium Institute.

When the lights go out, mysterious things starts happening. Characters start climbing out of paintings and the book characters come alive and start interacting with one another. Bob has hidden footage of Roland ditching his horse and driving Christine.

Tickets haven't gone on sell for The Bobsonium Institute yet. Sorry Karen.

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

The Library Policeman
01-02-2010, 10:05 AM
this is a wonderful basement... I'd like to die there ;)

:lol::rofl:

Patrick
01-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Love that custom traycase on 'SALEM'S LOT, Bob!

Nerak
01-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Ralph! I am thinking about interviewing for the night watchman position. Do you think it's wise? :lol:

Room 217 Caretaker
01-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Ralph! I am thinking about interviewing for the night watchman position. Do you think it's wise? :lol:

Karen

It is no longer known as The Basement.......it is now called The Bobsonium Institute.

When the lights go out, mysterious things starts happening. Characters start climbing out of paintings and the book characters come alive and start interacting with one another. Bob has hidden footage of Roland ditching his horse and driving Christine.

Tickets haven't gone on sell for The Bobsonium Institute yet. Sorry Karen.

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

:wtf::rofl::lol::D I guarantee excitement EVERY night. Go ahead and apply Karen.

Ralph

gsvec
01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
It'd be interesting to see what comes to life! :P

carlosdetweiller
01-06-2010, 03:03 PM

There are direct flights available on Southwest Airlines from Las Vegas to Amarillo. Let me know your flight number and I will meet you at the airport.

carlosdetweiller
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks to all for the recent positive comments. As far as I know no one has died down here in the basement (we aren't the original owners). I spend so much time down here on the internet that I'm more likely to die here than any other place in the house. It might be hard getting me up the stairs.

jhanic
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Especially when you won't let go of the keyboard! :dance:

John

Sam
01-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Dude, your internet is in the basement?

carlosdetweiller
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Dude, your internet is in the basement?

Yes. Why? Is that unusual?

I've got my books catalogued on a program called File Maker Pro 10. It is a must to have my computer down here with the books.

Sam
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Each man to his own poison. Not having a basement, that's not an option for me, but I wouldn't consider it simply due to the moisture issues that basements around here often have, even the finished ones.

Nerak
01-06-2010, 06:02 PM

There are direct flights available on Southwest Airlines from Las Vegas to Amarillo. Let me know your flight number and I will meet you at the airport.

You got it! :couple:

carlosdetweiller
01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Each man to his own poison. Not having a basement, that's not an option for me, but I wouldn't consider it simply due to the moisture issues that basements around here often have, even the finished ones.

Moisture is absolutely not a problem here. The climate is very dry. I just put a humidifier in my central heating a couple of years ago.

Sam
01-06-2010, 08:10 PM
I forgot. You're in Central Texas right?

carlosdetweiller
01-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I forgot. You're in Central Texas right?

Up further north in what is called the Texas Panhandle.

Nerak
01-07-2010, 06:17 AM
I forgot to ask, is there a souvenir shop? :lol:

carlosdetweiller
01-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Opening in 2011!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/gift1.jpg

Tatts4Life
01-07-2010, 12:53 PM

Patrick
01-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Nerak
01-08-2010, 07:06 AM

Opening in 2011!

dammit...I will have to make a return trip

biomieg
03-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Bob - most of the pictures in this thread are a couple of years old, already. We all know your collection is still expanding, so I was wondering whether (or not, of course) you'd be willing to upload some new material? I'm very curious how the King Wall and back room have evolved...

Merlin1958
07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Dude, that is the finest looking room and collection I think I have ever seen and I mean no offense to anyone else here.

That should be in "Better Homes" or something!!!! Just breath taking. Reminds me a lot of my home back in N.Y. (Ahh the good ol days), only I had a home theater down there.

Did you design it yourself or hire some one in? Also I love Barrister Book cases, I keep my collection in those.

Just way cool, Sir!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

carlosdetweiller
07-28-2010, 03:44 AM
Dude, that is the finest looking room and collection I think I have ever seen and I mean no offense to anyone else here.

Did you design it yourself or hire some one in? Also I love Barrister Book cases, I keep my collection in those.

Thanks for the kind words. It's truly been a labor of love building, arranging and displaying the books and artwork. The design is all mine and happened as much by accident or necessity rather than according to a master plan. I just started adding bookcases as I needed them and stacked them to best display the paintings. The big rug in the middle has been one of the last (and best) additions. It really finished the room off nicely. Thanks again!

biomieg
07-28-2010, 04:42 AM
Yes, this collection never ceases to amaze and inspire. I'm also going to be bold and take the opportunity to 'bump' my request from a couple of posts upstream:

Bob - most of the pictures in this thread are a couple of years old, already. We all know your collection is still expanding, so I was wondering whether (or not, of course) you'd be willing to upload some new material? I'm very curious how the King Wall and back room have evolved...

carlosdetweiller
07-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Yes, this collection never ceases to amaze and inspire. I'm also going to be bold and take the opportunity to 'bump' my request from a couple of posts upstream:

They look pretty much the same. A few new pieces of artwork here and there but I think I have posted individual pics of all the artwork.

biomieg
07-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Okay, thanks! In that case I'll just get all fuzzy and warm inside (as Matt would say) over the old pics.

Brice
07-28-2010, 07:01 AM

They look pretty much the same. A few new pieces of artwork here and there but I think I have posted individual pics of all the artwork.

I guess this is as good a reason as any to go add a bunch more to your collection. :)

Sir_Boomme
07-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Probably the least interesting is the back wall where there are some built in bookshelves, cabinets, etc. On the left: top row - miscellaneous hard to classify books (mostly trade editions), middle row - Signet/Plume DT books, proofs, etc., bottom row - later trade editions.

On the right: top two rows - all of George Beahm's books, bottom row - various reference books and some Carl Barks (Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge) books.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/backwall1.jpg

Just dropped back by here to drool... lookin' at all that artwork always gets me a bit damp.

anytime I start thinking to much about my little room of books, I just click on your thread and get myself back to reality.

But hey.... this time I think I "might" be able to one up the master...

unless you are holdin' back on us, I think I might have more computer than ya.... (all those high dollar books and art....what the heck is up with that antique tube screen? ---- ah... must be worth a lot as an ANTIQUE, right?)

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/cid_A886EC06C01E4632BDA202106AE98AF7boomerPC-1.jpg

Brice
07-30-2010, 01:33 AM
Damn! That's one hell of a computer setup.

Merlin1958
07-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Sure is Brice.

Reminds me of Kevin Smith in "Live Free, Die Hard".

Sir Boomme? Do you have the "Old School" for the coming "Zombie Apocalypse"? :wtf:

J/K

Sir_Boomme
07-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Nah... actually... I log into the dt.com site on each screen...

then I pull up the "BOB collection" thread on each one...

then I do a full sceen view on all 6 screens... each screen containing a different view of Bob's basement library.

Then... I sit back in my chair, and play like I'm Bob... admiring all my fine acquisitions.

I've decided that it's the closest I'll ever get to being the collector Bob is. It's saved me tons on buying books.

playing "VIRTUAL BOB" is much better than "Zombie Apocalypse":dance:

Sir_Boomme
07-30-2010, 07:41 AM
one question Bob... do you ever sit in your basement naked while admiring your collection?
just want to make sure I'm getting into the role fully...

carlosdetweiller
07-30-2010, 07:59 AM
one question Bob... do you ever sit in your basement naked while admiring your collection?

No. If you want to, though, it is OK with me. I think it is called "artistic license."

Merlin1958
07-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Nah... actually... I log into the dt.com site on each screen...

then I pull up the "BOB collection" thread on each one...

then I do a full sceen view on all 6 screens... each screen containing a different view of Bob's basement library.

Then... I sit back in my chair, and play like I'm Bob... admiring all my fine acquisitions.

I've decided that it's the closest I'll ever get to being the collector Bob is. It's saved me tons on buying books.

playing "VIRTUAL BOB" is much better than "Zombie Apocalypse":dance:

LOL Ok I get it makes perfect sense now. BTW Xnay on the Naked-ay!!!

TMI!!!!!

:P

carlosdetweiller
07-30-2010, 06:15 PM
....what the heck is up with that antique tube screen? ---- ah... must be worth a lot as an ANTIQUE, right?)

Long story about that computer. It was the first one I ever bought (in 1996) and a friend talked me into buying a Mac. I bought a custom book collecting program made for Macs from Jerry Parmer of Parmer Books in San Diego. I loved that program and it ran on a Macintosh application called Hypercard.

Anyway, I couldn't find a similar program for PCs and even if there was one I wasn't sure how to export Mac data and import it to a PC. I'm not really a computer guy. So I kept that ancient Mac for years solely to keep track of my collection. I had nearly 4000 entries and really didn't want to start over but I was beginning to exceed the memory capabilities of the old Mac when I generated long lists. I thought about buying a new Mac with more memory but the newer Macs do not support the Hypercard application so I was really stuck.

Finally I called Jerry Parmer and he said to get a program called FileMakerPro for my PC. I sent him my book database from my Mac on a Zip disc and he transferred it to a CD formatted for PC and I then imported the data to the FileMakerPro program on my PC and I have been in computer heaven ever since. This was about one year ago. The Mac and the ugly monitor have since been retired.

The solution may have seemed simple to people familiar with computers but I puzzled over the problem of exporting/importing data from different programs and different computer formats for many months/years. I didn't have a CD burner on the Mac and it only took floppy discs. I was worried I might be stuck with that Mac forever. But I finally got it and now think that FileMakerPro is a fantastic program for collections. I was pretty relieved when I got the 4000 entries on my PC running in a very nice new program.

klio
07-31-2010, 01:57 AM
Nice basement! In my basement I have only food :D so normally, Im very jealous! Awesome!

carlosdetweiller
09-19-2010, 02:57 PM
One of my favorite short stories is "One For The Road." Besides being a good read it is one of the most collectible short stories if one wants to collect other appearances besides NIGHT SHIFT. With only one or two exceptions the individual appearances of this story are either extremely difficult to find or have some oddball fact associated with them that makes them very interesting (at least to me).

It's not a hard story to find. All one has to do is pick up any old paperback of NIGHT SHIFT and it is right there for the reading. But collecting the individual appearances can leave a collector frustrated and shaking his head. Getting them all leaves a collector with a real sense of accomplishment.

Over the next several hours or days I'll pull some examples from my collection that I find interesting. And if I miss anything or make any mistakes ya'll feel free to add and/or correct me.

The story was first published in MAINE magazine in the March/April 1977 issue. IMO this is without a doubt the single hardest magazine with a King story to find (well maybe The Salt Hill Journal with "Dino" is harder). I searched for years before I located a copy. It was pure luck but I had to buy a lot of 50 magazines on eBay to get this one. The seller wouldn't break up the lot and I didn't want to inquire too directly or he might have realized what he had and tried to raise the price or sell it individually. I had to play it pretty close to the vest.

I'm not sure why this one is so hard to find. This is the second issue. I have some other issues from 1977 but no other years. I am pretty sure it lasted only the one year or less. I have a feeling it was promoted mostly in the Bangor area. At any rate it seemed to have a very low and geographically limited distribution.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/mainemagazine-1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/mainemagstorypage-1.jpg

The next time the story saw print was in 1978 in the first anthology of King's stories NIGHT SHIFT. Other than it being one of King's more difficult books to find in collectible condition (and often pretty expensive) there isn't a lot to say. The book, both the tall proof and the first edition, is one of King's hardest Doubleday publications to find.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/nightshiftproof.jpg

It is easy to tell a first edition from a book club edition.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/nightshift1stbce.jpg

But, according to some dealers/collectors, Doubleday sold out of first editions (or sent too many to libraries or whatever) and clipped the "book club edition" notation from the inner flap, stuck on a price sticker and sent them to retail outlets. These are sometimes mistakenly referred to as first editions but are nothing more than altered BCE's.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/nightshiftbceflap.jpg

Compare to a true first edition inner flap.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/nightshift1stflap.jpg

The paperbacks are pretty common but getting one in nice condition with the "eyes" lining up perfectly (not this copy!) can be difficult.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/nightshiftpbs.jpg

The story didn't see print again until 1985 in an anthology for young readers called YOUNG MONSTERS, edited by Asimov, Greenberg and Waugh, published by Harper and Row. For a long time I could not find a hardcover of this anthology. I finally found an ex-lib copy and you would have thought I had won the lottery. I was pretty pumped. Now there are a few ex-lib copies on ABE but the one on the left in the picture is the only copy I have ever found that is NOT ex-lib. Easily one of my favorite anthologies in my collection since I looked so long for it. Even the paperback copies are somewhat scarce in the first printing state (on the right).

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/youngmonsters.jpg

In 1986 a small Maine press, Lance Tapley in Augusta, Maine published a nice (and somewhat scarce) anthology called STRANGE MAINE, edited by Waugh, Greenberg and McSherry. I'm pretty sure this was only done in paperback. This one isn't too tough to get. A few copies are on ABE but it is not all that common. The proof (on the left) is the only one I have seen.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/strangemaine.jpg

In 1987, DAW books published "One For The Road" in VAMPS: An Anthology of Female Vampire Stories, edited by Greenberg and Waugh. Only done in paperback this is perhaps the only appearance that I don't find very interesting.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/vamps.jpg

One of my favorites. VAMPIRES: TWO CENTURIES OF GREAT VAMPIRE STORIES, edited by Alan Ryan and published by Doubleday in 1987. The King appearance of "One For The Road" appears ONLY in the proof edition (on the left). It is not in the finished book (right). The final anthology is almost always found as a book club edition. It is pretty scarce as a retail trade edition.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/vampiresanthology-1.jpg

According to my notes from Stuart Schiff: "This fine book was to have included King's "One for the Road," but the master presented everyone with his usual complications making it impossible to include the tale in the finished book."

Next up in 1995 is THE VAMPIRE OMNIBUS, edited by Peter Haining and published in hardback by Orion (UK) and Chartwell (US). The interesting thing here is that the story is titled "A Return to 'Salem's Lot" rather than "One For The Road." Subsequent paperback editions of this title came later.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/vampireomnibus.jpg

Jerad Walters included the story in 2004 in his lavish production of 'SALEM'S LOT under the Centipede Press imprint. There are several states of this book. Deluxe leather, black numbered, red numbered, unnumbered, etc. Stu Tinker also bought several unbound text blocks and bound them in different styles.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/centipedepresssalemslot.jpg

OK. Well I was 46 years old when I ordered LEGACIES from Cemetery Dance. I'm now 60 years old. I got a refund when I was 56. One day it will include "One For The Road." At the present time the only state published is this proof.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/legaciesproof1.jpg

If the book ever gets published King's story is supposed to be accompanied by this neat pen and ink drawing by Erik Wilson.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/erikwilsonlegacies-1.jpg

Last year (or was it the year before?) Pete Crowther announced an illustrated version of "One For The Road" that was only going to be available to subscribers of his quarterly magazine. It was NOT supposed to be sold separately. He enticed a few suckers (me included!) to subscribe. When the promotion didn't go as well as he had hoped he offered to sell the editions separately. These are really nice books and illustrated by James Hannah. There is a signed (by Hannah only) version slipcased and limited to 100 copies and an unsigned edition of 500. These have LOTS of pretty cool illustrations.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/onefortheroadpspublishing.jpg

Lastly, AFAIK, is the ill conceived and totally unnecessary SECRETARY OF DREAMS 2. I think that the proofs are all that are out now.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/sod2arc.jpg

To my knowledge this represents the publishing history of "One For The Road." There are some later printings and paperback printings of some of the anthologies that I didn't mention but I think this hits all the high spots. I think the publishing history is the most interesting of any of the other short stories. Comments and corrections are welcome.

jhanic
09-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Very nice and a great story too. I'm looking for that one, but I have doubts I'll ever find one except accidentally.

John

sentinel
09-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Great way to show the publishing history, and I like your comments!
I've got everything there but the Maine magazine, you are right it's
impossible to find!
-K

frik
09-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Great read - amazing items!
THANKS!!

sk

Tito_Villa
09-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Thats a great story, really enjoyed it!

Brice
09-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Most enjoyable reading! Thanks, Bob!

Room 217 Caretaker
09-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Loved the story Bob. A true education from the master himself.

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

DanishCollector
09-20-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm curious to know why you consider The Secretary of Dreams, Volume 2, ill conceived and totally unnecessary. Does it not meet the standards of the first volume or is it because it just didn't have to be done?

carlosdetweiller
09-20-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm curious to know why you consider The Secretary of Dreams, Volume 2, ill conceived and totally unnecessary. Does it not meet the standards of the first volume or is it because it just didn't have to be done?

Just a personal opinion. I don't particularly care for the artist's style of drawing and find looking at page after page of his artwork tiring and not enjoyable at all. The stories are readily available to readers elsewhere and no new writing was published. It was done entirely as a vehicle to showcase Chadbourne's artwork and I just don't think it is of sufficient caliber to warrant a limited edition. Oh, and to make a buck for Cemetery Dance by selling any book with King's signature.

I also thought SOD Vol. 1 was unnecessary.

DanishCollector
09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
I do like Chadbourne's artwork although they should at least have chosen another artist for the second volume - but yeah, if it's a showcase for Chadbourne, they wouldn't have chosen another one. I really agree that the two books are unnecessary in the sense they contain old material (like Stephen King Goes to the Movies), and is just another way for CD to make a buck, but as a collector, still, it's a joy to have the first volume..will likely also get the second. But as a fan I would prefer either new or unpublished material.

gsvec
09-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Just getting caught up on your thread, Bob, and I LOVE the pictoral history of "One For The Road" - very nice!

Ari_Racing
09-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Awesome pictorial history! :)

herbertwest
09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Always a pleasure to see your pictures and hearing your comments :-)

Patrick
09-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I learned a lot from your recounting of the publishing history of ONE FOR THE ROAD. Thank you so much, Bob!

biomieg
02-15-2011, 11:46 AM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/kingwall2.jpg

Bob, what is the black book between your NIGHT SHIFT copies and the DEAD ZONE proof? I can identify most of the stuff on your shelves but this is one that eludes me.

carlosdetweiller
02-15-2011, 12:04 PM
That is a US proof of THE DEAD ZONE in a custom traycase. I bought it on ABE many years ago and it came in the traycase. It is an amateurish job, really, but it is too good to just throw away.

biomieg
02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Thank you!

Merlin1958
02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
That is a US proof of THE DEAD ZONE in a custom traycase. I bought it on ABE many years ago and it came in the traycase. It is an amateurish job, really, but it is too good to just throw away.

Nevertheless, you should have Dolso make you one of his AWESOME wooden cases for it, dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-16-2011, 02:26 AM
I've just started browsing this thread, and to say I am monumentally impressed is an extreme understatement. Fabulous collection and a great looking library!

carlosdetweiller
02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I've just started browsing this thread, and to say I am monumentally impressed is an extreme understatement. Fabulous collection and a great looking library!

Thank you for the kind words.

ELazansky
02-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I am in awe looking over those shelves. If I only had one copy of some the items you have multiples of, I'd be happy.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Two more comments:

I like the way you have THE SHINING, your 1st King book, displayed. My first encounter with King was a paperback of DARK FORCES (1st Bantam printing, which I still have in FINE condition). After reading 'The Mist' I was an instant King addict.

And I feel a small kinship with you knowing that we both have one of the 1st state 'SALEM'S LOT dust jackets. I know of 4 persons who have them. If there are only 5, I'm not sure who has that one. I wonder if we both bought ours from the same bookseller; we probably did.

carlosdetweiller
02-16-2011, 04:47 PM
I doubt we bought them from the same place because I think you got yours really cheap (relatively speaking). I bought mine from the late John McLaughlin who ran The Book Sail in LA. Besides you and me there is Hutch, Chris Cavalier and David Aronovitz who have one. I'm pretty sure a collector in Ireland has one too. If so, that would make 6.

thegreattim
02-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I just read through your visual history of "One for the Road". It was very informative and I love all the pictures! Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. (I have yet had a chance to read the rest of your collection thread, but I look forward to it. If the comments of the others are anything to go by, I have quite a treat in store for me.)

Ric
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I do not believe there are adequate words in this language of ours to describe the wonders of this collection. I cannot imagine that a museum of King's works would look any better (or contain more) than your "basement of treasures" does.

Simply and succinctly... amazing.

carlosdetweiller
04-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I do not believe there are adequate words in this language of ours to describe the wonders of this collection. I cannot imagine that a museum of King's works would look any better (or contain more) than your "basement of treasures" does.

Simply and succinctly... amazing.

Thanks for the kind words. I've changed a few things around in the basement and will try to get some more up to date pictures posted soon.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-07-2011, 12:03 PM
"Thanks for the kind words. I've changed a few things around in the basement and will try to get some more up to date pictures posted soon. "

If you have any books left over or no place to put them I'll take them off your hands for a pittance

harrison ryan
04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I just reviewed the entire thread. Wonderful collection. Awe-inspiring. I'm not even jealous, just amazed. But--if you can find the time--PLEASE do more background histories like the many appearances of "One for the Road"! I loved hearing both the history of the story as well as some personal accounts of how you obtained the items, plus it gives you a chance to showcase your wonderful collection. Plus, seeing more old magazine and paperback anthologies will train me in what to look for.

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 05:07 PM
One of King's less well-known short stories is "The Cat From Hell." Part of the reason is that it has never been published in any of King's collections of short stories. I think the history of the story is sort of interesting. It first saw print in the March 1977 issue of the men's magazine CAVALIER. The first 500 words or so of King's story were published and readers were invited to finish the story as a competition with the winner having his version of the story published. The magazine promised that the winner's story would be published in the August issue and that King's entire story would be published in the June issue.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavMarch77.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavMarch772.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavMarch773.jpg

June rolled around and, as promised, King's entire story was published in the June 1977 issue.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavJune77.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavJune772.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavJune773.jpg

Ben Staad
04-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Awesome addition and nice backstory. Congrats!

Randall Flagg
04-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Did the magazine in fact publish the "readers" ending?

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Reader's, I'm sure, rushed to the newsstands in August to see who won the short story contest. Hard core CAVALIER fans barely looked at the pictures of the drug addicted models and flipped through the pages to see who won.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavAugust77.jpg

They were rewarded for their efforts with this small disclaimer on one of the first few pages of the magazine.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavAugust772.jpg

Damn! I'm sure the suspense was killing CAVALIER'S readership. Oh well, what's one more month?

Finally the big moment arrived with the September issue.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavSept77.jpg

The winner was Phil Bowie.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavSept772.jpg

A list of runners up was also announced. It looks like Marc Raines was a close second.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/cavSept773.jpg

What did Marc win? I don't know but his version did eventually end up being published in CAVALIER'S sister publication GENT in December 1977.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/gentDec77.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/gentDec771.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Did the magazine in fact publish the "readers" ending?

Patience. I'm going as fast as I can.

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 05:23 PM
The first mainstream publication of the story was in the UK in 1978 in two separate anthologies. In hardcover it appeared in THE SECOND BOOK OF UNKNOWN TALES OF HORROR, edited by Peter Haining, published in 1978 by Sidgwick and Jackson. In softcover it was published in TALES OF UNKNOWN HORROR by New English Library (NEL). Not sure which was first. Justin Brooks' bibliography lists the hardcover first.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/catfromhelltalesunknownhorror.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 05:27 PM
The first US hardcover edition was also in 1978. THE YEAR'S FINEST FANTASY, edited by Terry Carr.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/catfromhellyearsfinestfantasy.jpg

Hmmm......I had forgotten this copy was signed. Cool.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/catfromhellyearsfinestfantasy1.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 05:30 PM
To my knowledge the story was not published again until 1984 in MAGICATS!, a paperback anthology edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois. Published by Ace Books. These paperback anthologies are not rare by any means but finding collectible copies without reading creases, etc. can be challenging.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/catfromhellmagicats.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 05:33 PM
The only other English language publication, to my knowledge, is in TWISTS OF THE TALE: An Anthology of Cat Horror, edited by Ellen Datlow and published in 1996 by Dell Publishing.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/catfromhelltwistsofthetale.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Justin Brooks lists a publication in German called TOP HORROR. It is an anthology published in 1984. I don't have a copy of that.

Otherwise I think that is it. Corrections or additions are welcome.

Randall Flagg
04-08-2011, 05:37 PM
To my knowledge the story was not published again until 1984 in MAGICATS!, a paperback anthology edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois. Published by Ace Books. These paperback anthologies are not rare by any means but finding collectible copies without reading creases, etc. can be challenging.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/catfromhellmagicats.jpg
That reminds me I have a copy in Fine condition somewhere. I almost gave it away a few years ago when I gave away a 6-10 issues of Castle Rock. Part of the giveaway frenzy started at dt.net by (name escapes me...)

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 05:39 PM
In Michael Collings' earlier bibliography he listed a magazine called NEW BERN MAGAZINE that published "The Cat From Hell" in 1984. I have long looked for a copy with no luck. In researching the story I found in Brooks' newer bibliography that the magazine published only Phil Bowie's winning story in serial fashion in two consecutive issues (March and April, 1984). I still would like to find copies but am sort of relieved to know that I am not missing a real King appearance.

Ric
04-08-2011, 05:47 PM
I have that Datlow anthology! Great rundown Bob, thanks so much. You should do this regularly, it's immensely helpful and fascinating.

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I have that Datlow anthology! Great rundown Bob, thanks so much. You should do this regularly, it's immensely helpful and fascinating.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's fun for me to do but finding the time to do it is the challenge. This is the first evening I've really had to myself in ages (or so it seems).

harrison ryan
04-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks, Bob! I'm loving these short story rundowns, and the fact that you have all the books to illustrate them is still somewhat astonishing. I was aware of the Cat From Hell and the contest (the version I heard was that the publishers only intended for King to do his half, but he completed it anyway--he couldn't stop!), but I'd never seen any of the old mags before. The illustrations are rad! Didn't King finally publish this one in some form in one of the later short story collections--perhaps Just After Sunset? Maybe that one was too obvious to include?...

carlosdetweiller
04-09-2011, 04:01 AM
Didn't King finally publish this one in some form in one of the later short story collections--perhaps Just After Sunset?

Thanks for jogging my memory. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought it might have been published somewhere fairly recently but didn't take the time to follow up on that thought.

carlosdetweiller
04-09-2011, 04:03 AM
I was aware of the Cat From Hell and the contest (the version I heard was that the publishers only intended for King to do his half, but he completed it anyway--he couldn't stop!)

I kind of thought that too for a long time. But reading the contest rules from the March 1977 issue it is pretty apparent that King had already finished his version of the story when the contest started.

Stockerlone
04-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Justin Brooks lists a publication in German called TOP HORROR. It is an anthology published in 1984. I don't have a copy of that.

Otherwise I think that is it. Corrections or additions are welcome.

Great new stuff. For me, as anthology collector it´s a joy to see, new for me unknown books.
I think. ..somewhere in my collection i have the German TOP HORROR anthology.
Softcover book with storys from SK, Bradbury, Henry Slesar, R. Bloch....

harrison ryan
04-09-2011, 06:55 AM
I was aware of the Cat From Hell and the contest (the version I heard was that the publishers only intended for King to do his half, but he completed it anyway--he couldn't stop!)

I kind of thought that too for a long time. But reading the contest rules from the March 1977 issue it is pretty apparent that King had already finished his version of the story when the contest started.

Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily preclude the possibility that the publishers were initially only asking for half a story for their contest, and King sent them a whole one! The contest rules would have been published subsequently... (I got this version from Lisa Rogak's Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King, but I felt that book had a number of inaccuracies, so I don't really know whether to trust her account).

biomieg
04-14-2011, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I've changed a few things around in the basement and will try to get some more up to date pictures posted soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing the changes you've made.

biomieg
03-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Shouldn't this thread be stickied on the first page of the Collections forum so we can all get our daily dose of vitamin Detweiller? Anyway - bump!

Shannon
03-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Only if he promises to update the thread every day with pictures and stories. :)

biomieg
03-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Well, I would love to see a close-up pic of every bookshelf (i.e., one shelf per photo) - just the spines of all the books, neatly aligned on their shelves. No need to take out any of the books. The current pics are great but it's sometimes hard to distinguish the various editions/states of each title.

(no pressure, Bob, no pressure!)

Merlin1958
03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
IDK, This guy may be giving him a run for his money!!!!

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?14300-Book-Collection-needfulthings/page19

Display-wise I have not seen many that surpass Bob, but for sheer volume..........................IDK It's close. Still if I could inherit a collection from anyone I guess it would be Bob!!!!!

Shannon
03-23-2012, 04:12 PM
And I choose Merlin ... because he'll have his own stuff AND Bob's stuff. :)

Cook
04-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Mr. detweiller,
I was just looking through your collection thread "Again", and noticed I've never commented.
Your basement is amazing ! (see the very beginning for you newbies) Your collection is amazing !
Thanks for allowing us to see your basement.

P.S. I sure hope you're not in a flood zone.. lol

Brice
04-21-2012, 08:28 AM

That reminds me I have a copy in Fine condition somewhere. I almost gave it away a few years ago when I gave away a 6-10 issues of Castle Rock. Part of the giveaway frenzy started at dt.net by (name escapes me...)

Mike/gunkslinger?

Randall Flagg
04-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Yes. Gunkslinger was the originator of the "Giveaway".

Brice
04-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Yes, I got a couple of very nice books from him back then.

Shannon
06-18-2012, 01:17 PM
"Bob, come back to me!", says this thread. :)

Bad Penny
06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Wholly concur with Shannon's sentiments - this collection is way to cool to lie dormant :thumbsup:

carlosdetweiller
06-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Thanks! The collection isn't dormant but I haven't posted my new stuff in this thread....usually in the P & J thread. I should take some new photos of the room as some new artwork has been added and others moved around.

Shannon
06-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Yes! And nice addition with the wall-sized art print. :)

Brice
06-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Wall sized art print?

Shannon
06-19-2012, 09:23 AM
In the p & j thread.

sgc1999
06-19-2012, 12:00 PM

No. If you want to, though, it is OK with me. I think it is called "artistic license."

might look strange to the "naked eye" :)

Shannon
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
FYI, the sideways signature is part of the art print, as shown in another print here, which is flatsigned by Struzen and Darabont at the bottom. What a great item!

http://p2.la-img.com/930/24885/9077196_1_l.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
I don't recall seeing that middle prisoner in the movie. That's a great print!

carlosdetweiller
06-19-2012, 02:55 PM
FYI, the sideways signature is part of the art print, as shown in another print here, which is flatsigned by Struzen and Darabont at the bottom. What a great item!

http://p2.la-img.com/930/24885/9077196_1_l.jpg

Thanks, Shannon. That clears up a lot of unnecessary speculation on my part.

Shannon
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
The middle prisoner is Frank Darabont. :)

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I knew that, I was, as usual, kidding around. Maybe one day I'll start taking things seriously, but why spoil all the fun!!

carlosdetweiller
01-26-2013, 05:50 AM
Several months ago someone (I think it might have been Juliana) asked me to post some photos of the Ultra Deluxe edition of KNOWING DARKNESS. It is such a big thing that I had resealed it in its shipping box and it was in a storeroom and pretty inaccessible. I finally got around to digging it out this weekend. I don't know exactly how many of these Jerad actually did. Mine is Roman numeral II.

The biggest difference is the additional large prints in a separate folder. There are 20 prints and most are signed by the artist. The prints measure 22"x17".

The book itself comes in the same traycase as the regular deluxe edition and the extra book of bound prints is the same. The book has different artwork on the front and rear boards and has a leather spine (called half-leather?). Pretty much everything else is similar except the limitation page has Roman numerals vs. arabic.

Both traycases.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/knowingdarknessultra1.jpg

Traycase with prints opened up.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/knowingdarknessultra2.jpg

Book traycase opened showing front board. Great choice of art I thought.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/knowingdarknessultra3.jpg

Rear board.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/knowingdarknessultra4.jpg

Shannon
01-26-2013, 06:15 AM
There's an Ultra Deluxe edition!? Wow ... thanks for posting. My dull, boring, regular Deluxe edition (lol) is one of my favorite items, King or not.

Are the signature pages the same?

carlosdetweiller
01-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Are the signature pages the same?

Yes, I think they are the same. I pointed out the only differences I could see. Leather binding, different artwork on front and rear boards and the huge extra set of 20 signed prints. I need to ask Jerad how many he did and how many he sold. Mine was a gift for helping him with a lot of the artwork. I like it but it is just too darn big to leave out.

RC65
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
As a relative newbie here, I'm late to the proverbial party, but let me congratulate you anyhow on an incredible basement collection; looking over all your basement photos has given me one of my more pleasant Sunday mornings in a while. Absolutely stunning.

Bad Penny
01-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Holy Crap - That's awesome, and certainly a step up from the "regular" deluxe - Awesome mate !!! :drool:

carlosdetweiller
01-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Thank you all for the compliments. I've been working on the basement for close to 25 years.

cit74
01-26-2013, 02:29 PM
what a great collection. since i am new around here - I took the time to view from the beginning of your thread - and the basement looks amazing - I can only hope that our next home will have a library half as nice as yours (I've been promised a library/wine cellar when we finally make the next jump up)

biomieg
01-26-2013, 02:37 PM
What I also like about your collection is that despite its volume your bookshelves don't look cluttered at all (because you have several copies of most books). If I had the money and the space to accommodate so many books, I'd get lots of extra copies as well - I love the way it looks!

Dan
01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Nice looking book!

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
I looked up 'awesome' in the dictionary and it said - "See carlosdetweiller collection thread at TheDarkTower.org."

Roog
01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
I looked up 'awesome' in the dictionary and it said - "See carlosdetweiller collection thread at TheDarkTower.org."

:wtf:

Bev Vincent
02-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Are you getting hit by the storm today? Some parts of the panhandle could set a record for daily snowfall, they say in the Houston Chronicle (http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/02/texas-could-break-its-all-time-snowfall-record-today/).

carlosdetweiller
02-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Are you getting hit by the storm today? Some parts of the panhandle could set a record for daily snowfall, they say in the Houston Chronicle (http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/02/texas-could-break-its-all-time-snowfall-record-today/).

I am snowed in. 14 inches of snow last night and this morning. With gusts of wind over 60 mph. Huge drifts and many (most) roads impassable. Hopefully the snow is stopping this afternoon. My office (12 physicians, over 200 employees) was closed for the first time that I can ever remember due to weather (we've been in business over 18 years).

Still have electricity, internet, etc. And once I cleared the snow off my DirecTV dish I had television. Other than being snowbound it has been a very enjoyable day for me and my wife.

Bev Vincent
02-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Wow -- that amazing.

Sir_Boomme
02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
ain't Texas great? Bob's got 14 inches of snow... while I'm in Asutin in T-shirt and shorts with the top down on the Miata...
and Bev's probably sweating it out down there in the Houston humidity

it is pretty darned windy here though.....

TwistedNadine
02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
We're at 70 degrees humidity 10%

What exactly is 'Snow' anyway?

Bev Vincent
02-25-2013, 02:27 PM
The relative humidity in Houston was only 10% today -- that is incredibly rare.

Ben Staad
02-25-2013, 02:41 PM

I am snowed in. 14 inches of snow last night and this morning. With gusts of wind over 60 mph. Huge drifts and many (most) roads impassable. Hopefully the snow is stopping this afternoon. My office (12 physicians, over 200 employees) was closed for the first time that I can ever remember due to weather (we've been in business over 18 years).

Still have electricity, internet, etc. And once I cleared the snow off my DirecTV dish I had television. Other than being snowbound it has been a very enjoyable day for me and my wife.

Good luck and bless Mother Nature. It is a crazy world we live in.

carlosdetweiller
02-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Just watched the local news. Updated snowfall total is 19 inches (within 0.3 inches of record for 24 hour period). Wind gusts up to 75mph. Texas Dept. of Transportation had to call its snow plows back because of conditions for several hours. Looks like the worst is over for us though. 281 people without power (population 200,000). We will be digging out of this stuff for days but local farmers ecstatic for the needed moisture. Lots of mixed blessings, I guess. Office closed again tomorrow. Made waffles from scratch this morning. Nice to have a day off. It has really been a nice day as long as the power stays on.

Randall Flagg
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
What exactly is 'Snow' anyway?
Slang for cocaine...

ChristineB
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Wow, Bob glad to hear you got through it fine. Just talked to mom, they didn't lose power either. She's lives up on the north side in Pleasant Valley just north of the park. My brother lives even farther north in the River Road school district and they had power the whole time too. I'm sure most of the power outage was east of the city, that's always where it seems to go out.

They were just able to get out today and it wasn't pretty. Took my mom's husband 2 hours to go to the south side to drop off his grand kids at school and get back home. For those of you that don't know Amarillo that is a drive that usually takes no more then 15-20 minutes one way. Wrecks everywhere and cars in the ditch the whole way. Hope you have an easier time getting to and from work today.

carlosdetweiller
02-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Traffic is moving just fine now and snow is melting. I'll try to post a picture of Hillside Drive and the cars stranded there. Some people just don't use good judgement.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/ama/events/2013/feb25blizzard/hillside2.jpg

Bev Vincent
02-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Geez -- it's hard to fathom that that's Texas!

Coulrophobia
02-27-2013, 01:32 PM
But the commercials show that cars, and 4x4 trucks can drive through heavy snow.

George at C-Springs
02-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Even a HMWWV can't make it without snow tires. Stupid people!

ChristineB
02-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Bev, I can understand that if you didn't grow up or at least live in the Amarillo area for a long time it does look odd, since the rest of Texas (south of Lubbock and Witchita Falls) rarely sees snow at all. Admittedly, I have only seen it like that 4 times since I was born there ~40 years ago. Your feelings are kinda like mine were when we moved to Austin when I was 13, the first winter (to me) was like spring in Amarillo without the wind, it blew my mind, along with all the trees. I had no idea (well I did have an idea but it was still strange to me) Texas had trees that grew over 7 feet tall in forest sized areas. :)

One day we were up in the Waco area and I asked dad "what kind of tree is that?" he said it was a mesquite tree, the look on my face had to be the best ever cause he laughed until his eyes watered. The mesquite trees I grew up with were nothing but sticks with a few leaves on them in the summer that never got more then 7 feet tall. He has a friend in Houston that says only Amarillo could stunt the growth of a mesquite tree.

Ben Staad
02-27-2013, 11:59 PM
That is a great picture. I love it. It looks like all SUV's and trucks. Glad the weather is starting to improve for ya.

Ari_Racing
03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I think I visited this thread at least 10 times and I could never get tired of looking at the pics and reading your stories, Bob.

Words can't do justice to your collection.

carlosdetweiller
03-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Thank you!

becca69
04-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Yeah, I come here to :drool:

The Library Policeman
04-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Yep. Easily my favourite collection too. :)

biomieg
04-15-2013, 12:43 PM
And mine as well.

John_Kenton
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Thoroughly impressive collection, everytime i come to visit here. :drool:

Bob, some time ago you wondered about the scarcity of that MAINE magazine from 1977 containing "One for the Road"... I did a little research and found out that the magazine was started in January 1977 in Ellsworth, ME, but obviously they had some serious financial problems during their short tenure. Several catalogues list the magazine as having been published between 1977 and 1979. On November 10, 1977, the Bangor Daily News reported that four staffers had been laid off due to financial problems. Obviously the magazine, owned by Gerald L. Miller of Portland, ME and edited by John Buchanan, ceased operations on November 4, 1977, with the intention of relocating from Ellsworth to Portland. The staffers were also cited as giving the actual monthly print run "much less than half" of the promised 20,000 to 25,000 copies. So that might go some way towards explaining why this publication seems to be difficult to track down... I wonder has anyone else apart from Bob been able to to track down the mag? And I also wonder, did Stephen King ever get paid? ;-)

carlosdetweiller
04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Interesting info. Thanks, John_Kenton. And thanks to all for the positive comments.

I have the first issue of MAINE (dated January/February 1977) and another issue dated July 1977 (and of course the March/April 1977 issue with the King story). So at some point it seems it went from bimonthly to monthly.

I once saw an eBay listing for "10 issues from 1977" that someone found cleaning out a grandparent's attic. I inquired if the March/April issue was there and was told that it was not. I suspect that it was and my question probably alerted them to the fact that it was collectible because the auction ended early soon after. I should have just kept quiet and bought the whole lot as I think the opening bid was $10 and no mention of King anywhere in the listing.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-15-2013, 03:12 PM
I never visit this thread.....uh, wait a sec.

carlosdetweiller
04-15-2013, 06:10 PM
I think I have found the article to which John_Kenton refers:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2457&dat=19771110&id=j-gzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-DgHAAAAIBAJ&pg=5929,3587005

Interesting reading.

Jimimck
08-08-2013, 12:43 AM
M-O-O-N, that spells "holy moly you have an amazing collection!!!!"

Merlin1958
08-08-2013, 02:58 PM
M-O-O-N, that spells "holy moly you have an amazing collection!!!!"

He sure does!!! I often visit it just to see how a great collection should be displayed!!! Bob, you should charge admission!!! LOL

biomieg
11-27-2013, 02:26 AM
Bump!

I still think this thread should be stickied so everyone can get a daily dose of vitamin D(etweiller).