The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah
Donald M. Grant, 2004

Bracket #11

Voting for this Book is Closed

Final Average Score:

Song of Susannah will not advance to Round 2

Sam
12-15-2008, 04:40 PM
SoS held my attention, but that's all I can say. I really didn't like the Mia story and thought it was... well, it just didn't seem to fit. Even so, I kept reading, had to keep reading in fact. But it took me a while to get through this part. I'm giving it a 2. Mostly because I can't remember a single thing that happened specifically from this book.

fernandito
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Deuce.

jayson
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM

Very good, but not great. There was a lot of interesting information given in this book, but I think it'd have been better as the first part of The Dark Tower than a stand-alone book. Plus, I dealt with the Blaine cliffhanger for years. That he ended this one with the Dixie Pig cliffhanger pissed me the hell off even if the wait was much shorter.

IWasSentWest
12-15-2008, 05:26 PM
4..like sam, i just really didn't like the mia story. and the cliff hanger was a killer, although i read the books within days of each other

Mianjo
12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
I gave this a 4. A lot happened in this book. I completely didn't care for the Mia angle, but it was...interesting?

riknofx
12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I loved this one to. Alot begins to come together and it kinda is pideon-holed tween V & VII as far as action and major developments. Still the world of the tet jumps and amazes still.
:shoot:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
3. This is my least favorite of the DT novels, I don't remember any major plot development in this lengthy novel. However, I was so elated that the wait was so short after Wolves compared to previous waits, that I was not unhappy with the book.

Daghain
12-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Three. Mia = annoying.

sarah
12-15-2008, 07:44 PM
4. I love the gas station scene. <--- best fight scene, imo. :D

I love jake and callahan in ny. mia/susannah? not so much.

Unfound One
12-15-2008, 08:24 PM
The first time I read SoS I didn't like it much.
The second time I read it, I was much more interested because of discussions here at .com that I enjoyed it SO much more.

I give it a 5.
(And yes, that's even with Mia being annoying as hell.)

SpaceMaN
12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
also love the shootout at the gas station. 4 though

Excellent sig maerlyn!

alinda
12-15-2008, 09:31 PM
4 , for all the same reasons, gas station scene etc...still my least favorite in the series.

flaggwalkstheline
12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
I gave it a four, I like it but I feel that all the books except song of susannah are episodic in nature and all have their own specific identity and plot, song of susannah feels like a very entertaining bumper between Wolves of the calla and dt7

mae
12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
To me this is the second best in the series after DT2. I just had a blast reading this. The aforementioned shootout, the appearance of Stephen King, the NYC scenes. Just great, quick-paced fun. The same can't be said about the other DT books in this bracket, though I guess I'm in the minority regarding this.

obscurejude
12-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I hated this book. Susannah is my least favorite character and I thought King becoming a character was absolutely terrible. I've outlined these views in various threads and won't repeat the logistics here. I gave it a 1 and wish I could go lower.

Those were also the worst musical lyrics I've ever come across in my 26 years of being.

Empath of the White
12-15-2008, 11:23 PM
[I]Song of Susannah[I] gets a 3 from me.

More time was spent in our world than I would have liked, and I felt that it would've been more interesting if the low men would get off their laurels and go after the vacant lot themselves rather than through Balazar. I'm split over the palaver involving Mia's motivations and Mordred's conception. The idea of the conception is very cool, but was very info-dumpy at times.:unsure:

I'm not a big fan of King putting himself in the book, but as I have said elsewhere, its his book and an author should always write for himself above all else. I can understand his inclusion though.

Susannah heading into the Dixie Pig was my favorite part. Sounds like such a lovely dining establishment. A runner up would have to be the beamquake at the beginning. The "Empire Strikes Back" feel was pretty good as well. These earn it a 3 from me.

obscurejude
12-15-2008, 11:37 PM
There's a whole thread devoted to it J and Y. I'm not going to argue it in this thread.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1316&highlight=King%27s+Role&page=2

I have gone on for pages about why I think its a bad idea. You should "get" it, even if you disagree.

Jean
12-16-2008, 12:20 AM
definitely a 5; one of my very favorite books

ManOfWesternesse
12-16-2008, 02:11 AM
This is saying I have already voted in this Poll - though I'm certain I have not (unless I was sleepwalking last night sometime? :lol: )
Is it possible for a Mod to check if I've got a vote registered on this please?

Darkthoughts
12-16-2008, 06:28 AM
It will need to be a manager from this section I should imagine, Brian :thumbsup:

I gave a 4 - I'm cool with King being a part of the story now, but it really jarred me first time I read it.

fernandito
12-16-2008, 06:32 AM
I thought King becoming a character was absolutely terrible.

Ditto.

Jean
12-16-2008, 06:45 AM
It will need to be a manager from this section I should imagine, Brian :thumbsup:
I don't see any means to do that at the moment... maybe someone far wiser than me can?...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

mae
12-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Ditto.

I dunno, I found that quite cool. And it makes sense, and I could see it coming after they found a copy of 'Salem's Lot.

Brice
12-16-2008, 06:59 AM
This is saying I have already voted in this Poll - though I'm certain I have not (unless I was sleepwalking last night sometime? :lol: )
Is it possible for a Mod to check if I've got a vote registered on this please?

I don't see any means to do that at the moment... maybe someone far wiser than me can?...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to verify whether he voted or not. If we knew his vote and he wanted to change it...that is possible, but I know of no way to check IF he voted...unless maybe one of the directors possibly can.

flaggwalkstheline
12-16-2008, 07:06 AM
I did like how sai king continued putting in obscure rock n roll references, dixie pig is the name of a song by captain Beefheart and his magic band on the album trout mask replica

ManOfWesternesse
12-16-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to verify whether he voted or not....

hey, don't worry about it - tis no big deal!

let it be on the record that if I did vote it was/would be a 4.

There!:rock:

Aaron
12-16-2008, 07:36 AM
I checked and you did, indeed, vote it as a 4. In the future if you don't know or don't remember what you voted you can always look at the actual poll. The choice you made will be italicized in the list.

ManOfWesternesse
12-16-2008, 07:45 AM
I checked and you did, indeed, vote it as a 4. In the future if you don't know or don't remember what you voted you can always look at the actual poll. The choice you made will be italicized in the list.
Aha!
Thanks Aaron.

Aaron
12-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Gave this a 5. I loved the quick pace and the action. My favorite parts of the series were the occasions where the action took place in our world, rather than Roland's world, so I think that has a lot to do with why this was one of my faves. I think The Gunslinger is the only DT book that I read faster than this one, and that was only because it was so short. And the cliffhanger was great!

<-- likes cliffhangers :harrier:

at_one
12-17-2008, 01:56 PM
never read....starting on it later today

pickle
12-18-2008, 02:54 PM
I didnt like the Mia story till the last chapter involving her. The book itself didnt keep me hooked till the final 4 or 5 chapters, but the end saved it.

I gave it a 4.

razz
12-20-2008, 05:56 AM
this one was good, i still didn't like the whole Mia thing. it left a few questions. questions which i can't remember right now.

obscurejude
12-20-2008, 09:45 AM
What did you give it Razz?

Arthur Heath
12-20-2008, 11:28 AM
I seemed to tear through this one quicker than the rest. Not that I liked it more than the others though. It was a good transitional book, bridging 5 and 7.

razz
12-20-2008, 12:28 PM

MrQuint
12-20-2008, 04:59 PM

Ditto.

triple dog ditto