PDA

View Full Version : Black House--Bracket 10 Runner-Up!

Aaron
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Black_House_trade_face.jpg
Black House
Random House, 2001

Bracket #10

Voting for this Book is Closed

Final Average Score:

Bracket Runner-Up!

Black House will advance to Round 2

mae
12-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Haven't read yet. Will get to it right after The Talisman, whenever that will be...

Jean
12-11-2008, 11:39 AM
5+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

one of the bear's absolute favorites

alinda
12-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Same here, 5++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Girlystevedave
12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I thought it was average. It didn't grab me as much as I would have liked.

jayson
12-11-2008, 12:39 PM

One of my absolute favorites. Gets even better on re-read(s).

Hannah
12-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Loved it!

:couple: <-- me and Black House

Jean
12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Sam
12-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Never read it. No Talisman, no Black House.

Daghain
12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Three. After I loved The Talisman so much, I was sure I'd love this one as well, but it was kind of "meh" for me.

The Lady of Shadows
12-11-2008, 08:20 PM
loved it. henry is absolutely the awesome!

obscurejude
12-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Three. After I loved The Talisman so much, I was sure I'd love this one as well, but it was kind of "meh" for me.

I had a similar experience. Jack Sawyer is my favorite character in the King universe and the Jack of Black House seemed extremely different. Granted, part of that was because he was convinced the events of the Talisman never happened, but even when he began to reclaim that, I still had a hard time at points. Of course there's the age difference too. I wish I could phrase my thoughts a little better.

My motivations in reading Black House had nothing to do with the Dark Tower and so for me the connections were peripheral and in some ways unnecessary. I like the way they shed some light on the DT universe, but I didn't like the way they detracted from the tale of Jack Sawyer. What I mean, is they seemed forced or exaggerated at times, particularly in regards to flipping and twinning etc... There is such a disparity between the novels in this regard, as is evidenced by our conversations in Monte's thread and my Keystone one. Honestly, I just wished he'd kept the Dark Tower away from Black House. Its like the Maturin of IT and the Maturin of DT. Some connections are better left unmade.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-11-2008, 09:30 PM
only the second "never read" for me so far. I was not big on the Talisman, but Jean convinced me to give this one a try. So I intend to get to it after our bookclub this month. Oh Yeah, Vote for Something Wicked This Way Comes!!!!

B Rag
12-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I kinda' put this one down and forgot to pick it back up... I never finished it.

John_and_Yoko
12-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Gave it a 4--the second half would have been a 5 if not for the tedious first half.

Also, why am I not getting messages as to these new polls that I haven't voted in?

ManOfWesternesse
12-12-2008, 01:10 AM
This is an absolute 5 - a great Book!

.....Also, why am I not getting messages as to these new polls that I haven't voted in?
.... second that emotion!

Randall Flagg
12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
A tour de force. 5

Unfound One
12-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Fucking brilliant.
Henry is one of my favorite King characters EVER.

Matt
12-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Gave it a 4--the second half would have been a 5 if not for the tedious first half.

Also, why am I not getting messages as to these new polls that I haven't voted in?

The notices went up a little late but are there now. Remember, they won't show if you have already voted.

This book is a 5 for me. :fairy:

John_and_Yoko
12-12-2008, 02:29 PM

The notices went up a little late but are there now. Remember, they won't show if you have already voted.

This book is a 5 for me. :fairy:

Well, by now I HAVE voted in them all--but I saw NONE of them before I actually did vote in them.

Matt
12-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Yep, I noticed your post was last night...that was before they were put up.

Darkthoughts
12-13-2008, 02:34 AM
A 5...I'd give more if I could.

I read this years after I'd read The Talisman and just before I embarked on reading the DT series for the first time. There's not a single thing I don't like about this story, it has it all and can still stand up on a reread :thumbsup:

Aaron
12-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Sorry about not getting the notices put up on Thursday. The president of the university was in the office, so there was no time for screwing around, and then we had the company Christmas party right after work. Thanks for handling that for me, Matt. :thumbsup:

Matt
12-15-2008, 08:15 AM
It was actually your lovely woman that threw them up. :couple:

Hannah
12-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Sorry about not getting the notices put up on Thursday. The president of the university was in the office, so there was no time for screwing around, and then we had the company Christmas party right after work. Thanks for handling that for me, Matt. :thumbsup:

:cry: I don't get no respect.

Except for from Matt. :huglove:

:lol:

Aaron
12-15-2008, 09:10 AM
But..but you didn't tell me. :(

Big respeck. Thanks, honey.

Hannah
12-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Welcome. Now, lest I go crazy looking at it and wondering why, where is the first quotation mark in the quote in your signature? Did it abscond with that cute blonde girl that you keep talking about? Or maybe it got lost in the fridge (there is a bowl with leftovers in it that has been there since Hurricane Ike). It's possible that I accidentally threw it away when I was cleaning up cigg butts. Or maybe it ran away, crying, because you were mean to it?

I suggest you find it, because honey, you need that goddamn quotation mark.

riknofx
12-15-2008, 02:55 PM
For any Tower fan this is absolutely required reading.(also see Insomnia!) The Talisman too, but this and the last few tower books are key to DT7.IMO of course. You really could even read this first if you haven't read the Talisman yet but have read, or are reading DT V, VI, VII. This and Insomnia take awhile to get going... but once the hooks are in, the DT connections start to snowball and rewarding reading only SK can give begins. One of my favorites for sure.
:cowboy::shoot::thumbsup:

Merlin1958
12-15-2008, 10:40 PM

One of my absolute favorites. Gets even better on re-read(s).

Ditto

obscurejude
12-15-2008, 10:42 PM
For any Tower fan this is absolutely required reading.(also see Insomnia!) The Talisman too, but this and the last few tower books are key to DT7.IMO of course. You really could even read this first if you haven't read the Talisman yet but have read, or are reading DT V, VI, VII. This and Insomnia take awhile to get going... but once the hooks are in, the DT connections start to snowball and rewarding reading only SK can give begins. One of my favorites for sure.
:cowboy::shoot::thumbsup:

I strongly disagree. Black House had me hoping Jack would be a part of DT VII and he wasn't. Nor was Parkus. A huge let down for me. If they make another Talisman book, I hope they keep it the hell away from anything related to the Dark Tower.

Empath of the White
12-15-2008, 10:54 PM
I give it a 5.

Malshun was an interesting creature, and the trip to End-World got me excited for the last 3 Tower books. Henry was cool, but I'd like to hang out with the Thunder Five.

Aaron
12-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Welcome. Now, lest I go crazy looking at it and wondering why, where is the first quotation mark in the quote in your signature? Did it abscond with that cute blonde girl that you keep talking about? Or maybe it got lost in the fridge (there is a bowl with leftovers in it that has been there since Hurricane Ike). It's possible that I accidentally threw it away when I was cleaning up cigg butts. Or maybe it ran away, crying, because you were mean to it?

I suggest you find it, because honey, you need that goddamn quotation mark.

I sold the quotation mark to purchase back our son from slave traders. Apparently, our loving daughter decided that he was too whiny and cute for her endurance, so she threw him down a well and traded him to Egyptians for a Polly Pocket and a half-used yellow legal pad. I drowned Polly Pocket to sleep in the toilet tank and made thirty-seven yellow paper geese in vengence, and then traded the Eqyptian slavers the quotation mark for the boy. I convinced the cocksuckers that it was the key to unlocking the mysteries of their ancient tongue. Then I threw balloons full of pig urine at the bastards as we trolloped triumphantly into the fucking sunset.

And I already cleaned those leftovers out of the fridge. :shoot:

mae
12-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Family feud!

Hannah
12-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Anyone who was the time and tenacity to get pig urine into a balloon deserves the right to have grammatical errors in their signature. :couple:

Aaron
12-16-2008, 10:21 AM
:huglove:

Darkthoughts
12-17-2008, 03:20 AM
:lol:

The Lady of Shadows
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/turtlesong/smilies/coffee_spray-1.gif

i may now have to give up television in favor of watching the "hannah and aaron show"