PDA

View Full Version : Salem's Lot - Discussion & Spoilers!

jsn
12-02-2008, 11:18 AM
scariest king book ever.

i read it years ago and really loved it and have been wanting
to reread it for years. just recently i found the old paperback
at a used book store for a dollar! i am currently reading it and
now remember why i loved it so much.

the scenes in this book are actually creeping me out which hasn't
happened for years now. :scared:

the brothers in the woods.

the crate delivery to the marsten house.

so much more.

you must read this book if you haven't yet. his best in my opinion.

flaggwalkstheline
12-02-2008, 11:46 AM
great great book
If stephen king had written no novels after this one it would still cement him as the best horror (and arguably just BEST) writer of the 20th century (n as yet the 21st but thats got a ways to go yet)

The scene in the middle of the book when matt is lying on his couch clutching a bible in the middle of the night while danny sux that one guys (mike was his name i think?) blood upstairs scared me so bad that the first time i read it I had a dream later that night that i got up and vampire proofed my apartment, when i woke I found that while sleepwalking i had gotten garlic out of the cabinet and shut all the windows

jsn
12-02-2008, 03:05 PM
there's also the riveting funeral scene i just read.
wow.

flaggwalkstheline
12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah
I think that part where the dude burying danny (ach i need to re-read it, havent for a few years)
gets all jumpy may have been somewhat inspired by Vampyr the 1932 danish expressionist film by carl dreyer where there is a really trippy burying scene which also was the inspiration for the Smiths song "I know its over"

jsn
12-02-2008, 07:51 PM
awesome. the smiths rule btw.

Ben Mears
12-09-2008, 04:47 AM
Mark Petrie tied up in the room in which Hubie Marsten hung himself.
'Salem's Lot is my all-time favorite book and one that I have read annually since 1976!

ManOfWesternesse
12-09-2008, 05:49 AM
I also had read this many years ago, then not re-read for years.....
until I re-read it about a year ago. It was so damn good it blew me away.

Heather19
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I remember when I was reading this one, and I'd wake up in the middle of the night and always have to look over at my window to make sure there wasn't anyone out there.

sarah
12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
oooo You guys are making me want to reread this right now. I'm adding it to my "list".

Ben Mears
12-12-2008, 06:21 AM
I have been fortunate enough to read the original manuscript of SL (titled Second Coming) and it is amazing how well written the story was in its first draft. SK had just turned 25 when he began writing the story. The main difference between the original manuscript and the published version is the use of rats. They were much more prevelant in the first draft and used very effectively whereas in the published version they just kind of disappear from the story. I think that element should have remained in the book along with the way Jimmy Cody originally died. Talk about a scary! If you haven't read this deleted scene in the illustrated edition of SL you should check it out.

Beamer
12-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I loved this book, I've always had a place in my heart for Bram Stoker's Dracula and the way it made my skin crawl, Salem's Lot did the same for me....One of my favorites.

Odetta
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm a day late, but let's talk about Salem's Lot

(I know there's another SL thread, I will merge after the month)

this book is a fave of many people here... let's discuss!

ChicagoMolly
02-03-2009, 04:06 AM
'Salem's Lot is still a favorite of mine after all this time. After reading Carrie, I was very excited when it came out, in paperback of course. I was in 7th grade and my friends and I loved 'scary" books, but most writers gave us one or two then quit writing, or switched genres after the first.

'Salem's Lot scared the hell out of me for years. I read books over and over, especially King, and it was no less scary on the fifth reading than the first. It was only in the past year or two that I noticed I could read it late at night with everyone else in the house sleeping.

Here's my thoughts on the characters:

I love Ben , I feel the need to smack Susan. Know -it -all.

I used to think Mrs. Norton was a total witch, but now I understand ger better, although I want to smack her to, because she just doesn't know how to play her cards.

Hm. It's early, I can't think of more to say right now...:beat:

Ben Mears
02-03-2009, 07:17 AM
I've read this book annually since 1976 and it remains my personal favorite. The pacing of the story, the way King brings the reader along for an intimate look at small town life, the foreboding and melancholy atmosphere, the eventual realization that there are supernatural elements at work, and the fact that it is all believable speaks volumes. When I was younger I read it for the thrills & chills but now I prefer the slow build up and the story of the town.

Brainslinger
02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I really like Salem's Lot.

I think it's my favourite King horror book. I don't usually find a lot of horror stories all that scary (which doesn't mean i don't enjoy the story) and I often don't find vampires all that scary, although I like them as monsters. This book was an exception.

idk, my bff jill?
02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
This is one of the very few vampire-related books I thoroughly enjoy reading.
It's so intricate and well-written that you have to love it. It's one of those books that completely disconnects you from the world while you read it, and I know that all good books have that effect on their readers, but Salem's Lot does so exceptionally.

It's actually been quite a while since I last read it, so seeing this thread motivated me to start rereading it now. :)
I feel up for a good scare.

riknofx
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I just wanted to add that I've finally read SL and thought it was amazing. I have read and own most SK books but finally read this classic. Had me up late to finish but well worth it.:shoot:

Ste Letto
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Salem's Lot is very tightly plotted and executed. King's disciplined control of himself and his subject mean there is a tight economy of action and plot. The book has a pace that carries you along. There's more to say but it is late. There is depth to this book.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Salem's Lot, along with Pet Semetary, demonstrates Kings ability to horrify better than any of his other works. These two books are difficult to read at night without glancing over the top of your book to that dark hallway over and over. I absolutely love the feeling I get from reading them. I love other King books for different reasons, but this one is truly a spine tingler. I think I will reread it soon.

Ben Mears
02-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Having read this book annually since 1976 I don't have a whole lot of objectivity. That said I never tire of the story and that is because of how well written it is. For me it elicits feelings of nostalgia and melancholy, not something one would expect from a horror novel and the reason why the premise works so well.

Ste Letto
03-02-2009, 01:06 PM
There are four or five SK Novels that are, for me, head and shoulders above the rest.

Salem's lot is one of them.

01) It is a perfect homage to classic horror novels.
02) The relationship between Ben Mears and the boy, can't remember his name right now, is deep, believable and dynamic.
03) It has a great first line "Almost everybody believed the man and boy were father and son."
04) It is disciplined and tightly plotted, not a word is wasted.
05) The tension builds and builds and builds.
06) Secondary characters have real depth, especially Father Callahan.
07) The TV adaptation was superb.

flaggwalkstheline
03-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Salems lot is (I think) the best of Sai King's early work
but I still think The Regulators is his scariest

mia/susannah
03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I love this book as well. I have not reread it in a while. After my rereread of the tower series I will probably reread it again

AcidBumbler
06-17-2009, 10:31 AM
DAMN! I knew I'd missed one out on my top 5 list on the other thread! This is easily his best, and if not it ties with The Shining.. xD
This was one of the relatively few books which actually scared the crap out of me. I was checking the windows were shut for days after. I love real vampire stories (i.e. non-Twilight vampire stories lol) so this was a really really good buy.
I had seen the film before I read it, but couldn't remember anything, so it was completely new.

I couldn't even begin to fault 'Salem's Lot, though.. the only problem I found was that the edition I have is full of typos as it gets towards the end. But the story itself... well... WOW.

AcidBumbler
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I feel the need to smack Susan. Know -it -all.

I used to think Mrs. Norton was a total witch, but now I understand ger better, although I want to smack her to, because she just doesn't know how to play her cards.

Tell me about it... I'd love to bang their heads together. Susan drives me nuts in a lot of ways (although not as much as Nadine in The Stand) and Mrs. Norton... control freak much? :angry:

Roland of Gilead 33
01-29-2011, 07:30 PM
well 1stly i know this is an old thread, so my reason of posting in it is really simple. i have the (1999) paperback version of it from "Signet" & it says it's 630 pages. yet the paperback that is i believe the 1st printing with the black cover is 427 pages!

my question is why in the hell is the (1999) version longer? i don't think he did any revision to it back than? or did he?

same thing, goes with "The Shining" i have a paperback book that's longer than my hardback copy of it. & my 1st edition paperback edition as well.

brandnewfan
01-30-2011, 06:09 AM
This is was the first SK book that hooked me; it was also the third of his books that I ever read and the one that got me hooked for life lol

Roland of Gilead 33
01-30-2011, 12:46 PM
this actually wasn't the 1st one i ever read of his. i think it may have been 'The Gunslinger" that was the 1st book i ever read of his was. cause at the age i read it at my brother & my mom weren't to happy i wanted to read any "SK" & were pretty damn

cautious & waaaay over-protective for some reason? i never did understand it to be honest, nor do i still understand it. but my mom was like that with other authors as

well like "John Saul' when "The Second Child" came out in (1990) well it was a year or two after that i read it. i had to pester my mom to read that one. i dunno why i had to i've read that one many times since & there wasn't anything in it that a kid couldn't read ya know? anyways, back on topic

it wasn't until high school that i read this, i think i may have said this somewhere else here? reason being actually was cause of one reason. the book is slooooow at 1st

& i just couldn't get into it. & didn't have the patience to stay with it. so i've lost count how many times i tried reading it & just couldn't finish the damn thing. that's why it took me until i was high school i had to force myself to be patient. & i've read it a couple times since.

though i haven't read it in years. if memory serves me right, it ends on a cliff-hanger! at least it sure as hell felt like one. at least to me. so i'm thrilled that we got somewhat of an ending on what happend next with the "DT" series. & all that.

mtdman
06-15-2011, 05:01 PM
IMO, Salem's Lot is one of the best books of the 2nd half of the 20th century.

Merlin1958
06-15-2011, 05:33 PM
well 1stly i know this is an old thread, so my reason of posting in it is really simple. i have the (1999) paperback version of it from "Signet" & it says it's 630 pages. yet the paperback that is i believe the 1st printing with the black cover is 427 pages!

my question is why in the hell is the (1999) version longer? i don't think he did any revision to it back than? or did he?

same thing, goes with "The Shining" i have a paperback book that's longer than my hardback copy of it. & my 1st edition paperback edition as well.

Fonts can be at least partially to blame, but that still seems like a lot of discrepancy. IDK. Could it be an abridged version or something you didn't spot the first time around?

The Road Virus
06-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Awesome book! Just got done with it a couple weeks ago and would love to discuss it if other posters are up for it.

Merlin1958
06-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Awesome book! Just got done with it a couple weeks ago and would love to discuss it if other posters are up for it.

While it has been a little while since my last re-read, it is one of my "King" favorites. Fire away!!!! Love the part where Callahan is broken!!! Chilling scene, especially for a book. That's the one where the book went into the "Freezer" for a coupla days for me!!! LOL

The Road Virus
06-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah that was definitely a chilling scene. I liked the whole development of Callahan and it made me want to read DT 5-7 again just so I could do it with more respect for him. I thought where he went in-depth about the Father's drinking you could just sense how true the talk of it was, King knew what he was talking about and did so with brutal honesty in other words.

I'd say it is currently my 2nd favorite King novel.

Merlin1958
06-27-2011, 05:32 PM
It's a shame they could never translate the out n out terror and creepiness of the book to film. I've read "Dracula" by Bram Stoker and it was a scary book, but to me Salem's Lot was on a "whole 'nother level"!!!

The Road Virus
06-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I have not seen the movie and/or tv version of the Lot. Nor have I read any other vampire/dracula fiction besides this one (though I intend to read the original). Salem's Lot was definitely well composed and a page turner as well IMO. Do you think/know that King knew the Father would make another appearence in his work(s) and that is why the way he left his story the way he did or it was just a coincidence that worked out well?

candy
06-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Salems lot is in my top 5 of kings books, when he gets it right with the whole 'group of people' he books are unputtable down? (if that is a phrase) I loved the slowness of this book, as it slowly all came together without ever losing my interest.

In fact, if i could find any of my books i would go for a re-read

The Road Virus
06-28-2011, 07:14 AM
What happened to your books? And I believe you just coined a phrase :D

Yeah I agree with you about bringing it together in a very clean and complete way (much like The Stand)

candy
06-29-2011, 04:23 AM
I am still mid move, so half are in storage, the other half I have friends tending them. (hope I can get them all back is the main thing)

Fabled
07-08-2011, 06:39 PM
I actually read this book last year and feel a bit on the outside when saying that I wasn't scared while reading it! I mean, I liked the story well enough, but it did not by any means make my top.
I actually thought Duma Key was spookier, strangely enough.

jsn
09-08-2011, 03:40 PM
duma key was really creepy.
the little girls.

Merlin1958
09-08-2011, 06:31 PM
I actually read this book last year and feel a bit on the outside when saying that I wasn't scared while reading it! I mean, I liked the story well enough, but it did not by any means make my top.

I guess if you are from the younger generation, the Callahan scene may not have been as profound and I understand that. It kinda underscores why some folks can't forget the original "Halloween". Just different generations and values. Not saying one is better than the other, just different with time.

"Halloween" scared the living "shit" outta me and my wife when it was first released. Now my kids view it as campy. Times change, sometimes for the better and sometimes things are lost forever. Fact of life I suppose.

:ghost_002:

Jon
09-08-2011, 10:21 PM
I remember when we didn't even have ghosts. No one had died yet. We had to put sheets over our heads to scare one another...of course scissors had not been invented so we couldn't cut eye holes in the sheets.
That's where the "woooOOO" sound started. The dude playing the ghost could't see well and would trip over things and cry out "woooOOO, shit." We had to censor the last word...of course.

The skeletons were just us skinny poor guys who lived out in the country.

The Road Virus
09-10-2011, 12:32 PM
And the showing of ankles was considered scandelous? :lol1:

Randall Flagg
11-25-2011, 10:09 AM
I agree. 'Salem's Lot doesn't hold up to modern times.

Merlin1958
11-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Really?? I just finished a re-read recently and I still enjoyed it immensely though, the culture at the time is dated compared to today, obviously but, the underlying theme's are timeless, IMHO

Ben Mears
11-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Really?? I just finished a re-read recently and I still enjoyed it immensely though, the culture at the time is dated compared to today, obviously but, the underlying theme's are timeless, IMHO

Outside of the culteral gap, which is mostly electronic anyway, I think the story holds up very well. The foundation of the story rests upon the residents of Jerusalem's Lot and the atmosphere that surrounds the town. It is the insular nature of The Lot and the foibles of its people that makes the story so effective and those elements are timeless.

Merlin1958
11-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Outside of the culteral gap, which is mostly electronic anyway, I think the story holds up very well. The foundation of the story rests upon the residents of Jerusalem's Lot and the atmosphere that surrounds the town. It is the insular nature of The Lot and the foibles of its people that makes the story so effective and those elements are timeless.

Well put Mr. Mears. Better job than I did!!! I love the elemental "Good vs Evil" dichotomy!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Road Virus: You really should read Dracula. It would greatly enhance your appreciation for 'Salem's Lot. At least it did for me.

Merlin1958
11-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Road Virus: You really should read Dracula. It would greatly enhance your appreciation for 'Salem's Lot. At least it did for me.

I would have to second that suggestion!!!! Great read!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-26-2011, 05:48 PM
There are so many parrallels between the two, characters and scenes in The Lot that pay homage to the original.

divemaster
11-26-2011, 07:37 PM
...I think the story holds up very well. The foundation of the story rests upon the residents of Jerusalem's Lot and the atmosphere that surrounds the town. It is the insular nature of The Lot and the foibles of its people that makes the story so effective and those elements are timeless.

I concur. Atmosphere, foreboding, mistrust, dawning realizations, crises of faith, and similar elements augment the characterizations that King brings to the page. Also, to me, this book is full of Horror. To folks these days brought up on Buffy or whatever else and go into 'Salem's Lot expecting a lot of dripping ghouls and AARRGGGG! and GRAAAHHHHHH! are likely to be disappointed. More's the shame.

Ben Mears
11-27-2011, 09:55 AM

SK is unabashed in admitting 'Salem's Lot intentionally paralells Dracula. He's just a much better writer than Stoker was! Since SL is my favorite book I was willing to invest time reading the other books SK has mentioned as influential on the story:
Our Town, Peyton Place, and The Haunting Of Hill House. All were worth reading and provide an interesting perspective on SK's literary foundation. Although not mentioned outright, The Body Snatchers had a major influence as well. The atmosphere and paranoia of that book is very similar to SL and it is clear that Jack Finney's well written thriller had a major impact on a young Stephen King.

Merlin1958
11-27-2011, 06:34 PM
I have to add that Bram Stoker's "Letter's back n forth" aspect has always impressed me as particularly creepy for some reason. "Dracula" is still a bonafide "Classic" in MHO, taking nothing away from King's Salem's Lot in the least. I recognize the similarities, but overall two distinct stories IMHO. Slightly different versions of true horror, maybe? W/E I have always loved both books!!!

Loved "Buffy" too, but in a much different way!!! She could "slay" me anytime!!! LOL LOL

RolandLover
01-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I started this book on Friday, almost finished but have to say that damn Susan Norton character irks the hell out of me. I'm at the point where she's at the Marsten's House, where Mark Petrie sees her, tells her about seeing Danny Glick, that's he a vampire and she asks, do you believe it? He was said yeah I saw it lol. Dumb! She reminds me of the other Susan from DT whom I didn't like lol.

Jean
01-24-2012, 04:06 AM
I too wasn't crazy about either Susan. The book is great, though.

RolandLover
01-25-2012, 07:13 AM
I finished Salem's Lot this morning and I loved it!! Great vampire book! I loved the way it was told. Loved Mark and Ben!! I think they should remake this SL. It was scary good. I think today's vampire's aren't told as being scary anymore. Twilight, Vampire Diaries, even True Blood, etc. they are told as being evil. They are just accepted. I think Salem's Lot is a lot scary then Anne Rice Interview with a vampire. Thanks King!

mtdman
01-25-2012, 08:42 AM
I liked Susan Norton a lot, even if she was a bit ditzy. Totally shocked me what happened to her.

Merlin1958
01-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I liked Susan Norton a lot, even if she was a bit ditzy. Totally shocked me what happened to her.

I kinda saw that coming, but there were a lot of other shocking moments/scenes. My personal favorite is Callahan and Barlow!! Whoa, Blasphemous (at the time) and very cerebral with regard to theology!!! Very well written IMHO

:belial::belial:

Ben Mears
01-31-2012, 06:59 AM
I don't consider Susan Norton flaky or ditzy; just someone in her early twenties trying to forge an identity. She was actually courageous, proactive, and impetuous when she decided that Ben, Matt, & Jimmy were beating around the bush and went to the Marsten House on her own. She showed self awareness when she was creeping up to the house thinking about all the victims she had seen in horror movies who keep going on in face of certain demise and with her date's arm protectively around her would think: "what a silly bitch...I'd never do that" and yet there she was doing exactly that. I liked Susan and when I read SL for the first time was surprised by, and disappointed in, her fate.

mtdman
10-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Since it's Halloween time, and I love Salem's Lot, I've been relistening to this book and rewatching the two movies. I must say that while the original movie is considered a classic, I like the second movie a lot better. It has a lot more elements of the book in it, and while it's not super scarey, neither was the book really. The original has a couple of really scare parts, but it's pretty campy now looking back. Especially the vampire. And I don't like the way they negated the Barlow character and kind of turned the Vampire into an attack dog in that version. The new version fits the book a lot better, imo, and even the 'inventions' and 'adaptations' that are made to the story fit into the overall feeling and story line of the book. I particularly like the changes in the Eva character in the newer movie. Makes her a more developed character.

I remember when the original came out, people were really scared of it and talked it up. I never saw it until a few years ago. Times sure have changed.

Still my favorite King book.

subie09lega
05-29-2013, 12:49 PM
That's funny how you say this wasn't super scary. I agree with you but my sister feels completely the opposite. She still gets worked up when I bring it up. It's pretty funny. I love to tease her with "open the window Mark" :lol1:

and while it's not super scarey, neither was the book really.

Merlin1958
05-29-2013, 05:20 PM
That's funny how you say this wasn't super scary. I agree with you but my sister feels completely the opposite. She still gets worked up when I bring it up. It's pretty funny. I love to tease her with "open the window Mark" :lol1:

and while it's not super scarey, neither was the book really.

I'd have to disagree a little. I always thought that the fact that he could take a truly ridiculous premise (a whole town becoming Vamps) and make it scary was the sign of true talent. To me, that's just what he did!!! There were tons of "creepy" moments in the read, non better than the entering of the Marsden house and the Callahan scene!!

Jean
05-30-2013, 12:00 AM
and the school bus... I still prefer not to think about it

subie09lega
05-30-2013, 04:56 AM
I agree about the talent but I just don't get that scared anymore when the situation is not possible. I like it, don't get me wrong, but if it is "truly ridiculous" then I know it won't happen to me. The idea of going crazy is more frightening.

[/QUOTE]I'd have to disagree a little. I always thought that the fact that he could take a truly ridiculous premise (a whole town becoming Vamps) and make it scary was the sign of true talent. To me, that's just what he did!!! There were tons of "creepy" moments in the read, non better than the entering of the Marsden house and the Callahan scene!![/QUOTE]

mtdman
08-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Can't believe it's been over 2 year since a post about this fabulous novel. I have changed my opinion on the original Salem's Lot movie from the 70s. I love that movie now. And I still love the book. Since fall is coming, I will be doing my annual listen to 'Salem's Lot, probably multiple times. IMO it is King's best book.

jhanic
08-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Funny, my daughter and I were just talking about the Salem's Lot movie and we both agreed that it was too campy to be truly scary any more. There are a couple rather scary scenes, but overall, just to campy.

John

RichardX
09-04-2015, 12:54 PM
Just out of curiosity I looked up Lance Kerwin who was a child star in 70s TV and in this movie. Looks like he fell on hard times. Conviction for food stamp fraud and selling time shares in Hawaii. He seemed like a decent kid. Hopefully he sorted himself out.

Ben Mears
09-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Hard to believe it was 40 years ago today that Benjaman Mears arrived in Jerusalem's Lot for a homecoming he would never forget...

mtdman
10-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Funny, my daughter and I were just talking about the Salem's Lot movie and we both agreed that it was too campy to be truly scary any more. There are a couple rather scary scenes, but overall, just to campy.

John

Don't go on IMDB and post that on the board for that movie there. I posted that it was campy a couple years ago and some argued with me very strongly that I was wrong.

The Gasherman
09-14-2016, 08:54 AM
This book truly scared the crap out of me. It's been 20 years since I read it as a very cynical 20-something. Not sure even what was so scary about it. It seemed like a fairly simple story. I had nightmares about the bus for at least a year.

Xerrand
09-17-2016, 06:36 AM
scariest king book ever.

i read it years ago and really loved it and have been wanting
to reread it for years. just recently i found the old paperback
at a used book store for a dollar! i am currently reading it and
now remember why i loved it so much.

the scenes in this book are actually creeping me out which hasn't
happened for years now. :scared:

the brothers in the woods.

the crate delivery to the marsten house.

so much more.

you must read this book if you haven't yet. his best in my opinion.

It's definitely up there, most of his books are amazing. The only ones I read which actually genuinely creeped me out/produced fear were Pet Semetary, The shinning, and Salem's Lot. I recommend you read the first two if you haven't already, Pet Semetary especially I found scary as hell! Amazingly good though.

Ebdim9th
09-18-2016, 06:51 AM
A previous post drew an accurate comparison to the paranoia of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, although the fear is old, as was pointed out about the movie Vampyr which starts out with those text 'cards' at the beginning, one referring to entire villages being turned. ('turned' what a pop-culture staple/trope) Buffy the Vampire Slayer was social satire rather than horror. The end of the Dark Tower series compares strongly with Salem's Lot, not just because of Father Callahan's presence in the story. Callahan imbued symbols of faith with substance and power, which the weakness of his alcoholism drained and allowed Barlow to exploit, the light faded and they became tawdry and worthless. In the end of the Dark Tower, the symbols of Ka, Ka tet, faith and belief, the guns with the sandlewood grips, suddenly fade and become tawdry and worthless and get tossed aside, which to me signals a fake happy ending that the characters are not aware that they've been suckered into, reinforced by Roland opening the door and finding, that because he'd not brought the Horn of Eld, another symbol of faith and power, he would have to start his entire journey over again, alone once more. (For some reason I'm all about the run-on sentences)

Gasher
01-25-2017, 08:39 AM
My friends and I went deep on the Lot, including its many adaptations and sequel (yeesh). We're "The Losers' Club" podcast, and our 'Salem's Lot episode debuts on Friday the 27th. We already have a Carrie ep up, and you can find us on iTunes, Stitcher, and Soundcloud. Long days and pleasant nights!

Marlie
09-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Just started rereading this classic, and I really think this might be my favorite King story! I've reread other books of his but this one has such staying power. I'd love to see a new movie done for this book.

TravelinJack
09-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Just started rereading this classic, and I really think this might be my favorite King story! I've reread other books of his but this one has such staying power. I'd love to see a new movie done for this book.

The director of the new It would make a fantastic Salem’s Lot. I agree, would be fun to see a new reboot.

Ben Mears
09-26-2017, 04:26 AM

The director of the new It would make a fantastic Salem’s Lot. I agree, would be fun to see a new reboot.

An R rated version set in 1975 would be sweet.

Zidan
10-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Salem's Lot was the very first Stephen King book I ever picked up and read. I was 14 at the time. Had me enthralled from the opening page and several of the scenes legitimately scared me. Finished the book in a couple of sittings and ran down to the bookstore to pick up five more King books. I re-read Lot this past summer at age 25 while working my way through the Dark Tower series and I found myself appreciating the book even more. While very little happens in the first 40% of the book, the slow burn and intense build-up is some of King's best work, IMO. I think I'd go so far as to say that I prefer the first half of the book to the second half. It is remarkably creepy.

mae
10-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Here's the link to The Losers Club podcast discussion of the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcast-episode/the-losers-club-a-stephen-king-podcast-episode-2-salems-lot/

amd013
11-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Just finished a reread of the book, I think it was the 3rd time I read it, but the first time in probably 30 years. I read on old paperback version I bought in the 80's that was already ragged. I read the deleted scenes in the illustrated version in parallel.

Like some of the others on this thread, I don't get scared by books anymore. I do remember when I read it the first time when I about 15. I had finished reading for the night, and went to the restroom before going to bed. Everyone else in the house had been asleep for a long time. I remember being disappointed that I wasn't scared. I started to pyche my self out. I must have already read the Shining at that point. As I was sitting on the toilet, I started becoming more and more convinced that it was in my best interest not to check what was behind the shower curtain.

I think that the scenes that were cut were scarier then the ones kept in.

I think the only book that truly scared my was "The Amytiville Horror" I probably read the book in 78 or 79 when I was only 10 or 11. I also believed it was a true story at the time.

I think like SK talks about in Danse Macabre, the scariest things are the things you never see. I think that's why movies about haunted houses tend to scare me more then vampires and werewolves.

biomieg
11-14-2017, 04:35 AM
The Dutch translation of 'Salem's Lot was the first King book I ever saw (my dad was reading it and I must have been 6 or 7 at the time). The cover made such an impression on me that when I finally read it myself (probably at the age of 13 or 14) I didn't really want to touch it :wtf:

http://client.atequa.net/eric/boekensite_net/www/Covers/186.jpg

I'm 43 now and I still find 'Salem's Lot (and Pet Sematary) to be King's scariest books.

Kraken
12-27-2018, 05:30 AM
This was also my first Stephen King book. I picked it up a long long time ago.
Way back in November 2018 :lol:

Pere Jere
09-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Giving this a first time read now. About 250 pages in and really liking it. After Wolves of the Calla I wanted some more Father Callahan and to know the complete story of the Lot.

Thomas33
02-15-2022, 07:34 AM
Is the novel, Salem's Lot, about the national government not needing a means to sustain itself?

Thomas33
02-15-2022, 11:17 AM
Salem's Lot was the very first Stephen King book I ever picked up and read. I was 14 at the time. Had me enthralled from the opening page and several of the scenes legitimately scared me. Finished the book in a couple of sittings and ran down to the bookstore to pick up five more King books. I re-read Lot this past summer at age 25 while working my way through the Dark Tower series and I found myself appreciating the book even more. While very little happens in the first 40% of the book, the slow burn and intense build-up is some of King's best work, IMO. I think I'd go so far as to say that I prefer the first half of the book to the second half. It is remarkably creepy.

I'm interested, in your comment about very little happening in the first 40% of the book; my own response, to the nature of the storytelling, by King, is that the vampire sections in the first half of the story are fleeting intervals of tension. Moreover, the novel is what I find to be about people 's taking things for granted being the right attitude, perhaps because the national government is also in on the act, thereby exempting people's ignorance from guilt.