PDA

View Full Version : Worst King on the Screen--Nominations Closed

Aaron
12-02-2008, 11:12 AM
This thread is for members to nominate titles (film, mini-series, TV) for the Award for Worst King on the Screen. In order for a title to be eligible for nomination it must either be based on the written work of Stephen King or be an original screenplay/teleplay written by Stephen King. This extends to any film, mini-series, or television show that meets those guidelines. Titles based on works originally published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible.

To nominate a title for this category, simply post your choice in this thread. In order for a title to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated title must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each title listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. Be careful that you are posting in the correct thread, as there is also the thread for Best King on the Screen, which is this category’s polar opposite. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

Films/Miniseries/TV based upon a SK book or story (http://bestsellers.about.com/od/stephenking/a/king_films.htm).

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.

mae
12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
This should be fun. I'll go with The Tommyknockers.

gsvec
12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Second Tommyknockers and nominate Maximum Overdrive.

mae
12-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I liked Overdrive :blush:

Sam
12-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I do have a question though. Will The Lawnmower Man be allowed in this since King did successfully to have his name removed from the movie? I think no but felt I should ask before I made an assumption.

The Lady of Shadows
12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
nominate the mist.

and sam that's an excellent question about the lawnmower man. i personally don't think it should be included since the reason he sued was because it was so far removed from his original story once it hit the screen.

Iwritecode
12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Third Tommyknockers and nominate Dreamcatcher.

jayson
12-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Oh how I have waited for this day...

I nominate The Stand miniseries. A complete and utter piece of shit and one of a long list reasons I am opposed to a DT adaptation.

John_and_Yoko
12-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I nominate Thinner.

Daghain
The TV Miniseries of The Shining. UGH.

The Lady of Shadows
oh god i second the stand miniseries. with all my heart and soul. with my last breath. can i third it? and fourth it? jayson you rock!

razz
12-02-2008, 01:50 PM
i loved the stand miniseries, I thought it stuck pretty close to the story. of course they lost quite a bit, but there were some pretty food parts.
I also liked Dreamcatcher, even though it didn't end like the book.

I second Maximum Overdrive (I liked it but it sucked)
as well as The Mist.

Aaron
12-02-2008, 01:53 PM
The Mist? Really?

I absolutely loved it.

I nominate the IT miniseries. Complete and utter shite.

Daghain
12-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Seconded. Ugh.

razz
12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
I third IT

Unfound One
12-02-2008, 01:57 PM
I'll definitely second IT. I watched it the day after I finished the book. Bad idea.
It was positively awful.

ETA: Whoa. Okay, I fourth it. Sheesh y'all are fast!

The Lady of Shadows
12-02-2008, 02:01 PM
fifth IT

pickle
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I nominate Kingdom Hospital and secound Dreamcatcher

mae
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I liked Kingdom a lot...

Second The Shining (1997).

razz
12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
is that Shining the one where The Overlook actually blew up? or the oen where they leave Jack to freeze to death?

John_and_Yoko
12-02-2008, 02:19 PM
is that Shining the one where The Overlook actually blew up? or the oen where they leave Jack to freeze to death?

1997 is the one where the boiler explodes. That one is properly called Stephen King's The Shining.

turtlex
12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Add me to the Maximum Overdrive list.... also, tossing up Christine.

obscurejude
12-02-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd sixth IT, but I really liked the parts when they were children so I guess I can't.

I liked Maximum Overdrive, but I didn't read it. :lol:

I'll nominate Apt Pupil. I liked Brad Renfro in the part, but the movie just didn't get near dark enough.

mae
12-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I liked Maximum Overdrive, but I didn't read it. :lol:

It's based on "Trucks" which is in Night Shift. You didn't read it?

obscurejude
12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I only read about half of Night Shift. I may have read Trucks, but if I did, it was 10 or 15 years ago. :lol:

razz
12-02-2008, 02:38 PM

1997 is the one where the boiler explodes. That one is properly called Stephen King's The Shining.
I loved the 1997 one, it kicked ass.
Now the other one...
I Nominate the other one: The Shining (1980)

jayson
12-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I'll nominate Apt Pupil. I liked Brad Renfro in the part, but the movie just didn't get near dark enough.

I'll second Apt Pupil. I am one of the few (at least according to what people wrote in the other thread) who liked the story, but I thought the film left a lot to be desired. The casting was well-done, the script and the direction not so much.

I'll also one-up the 1997 mini-series version of The Shining. That thing was awful.

Ves'Ka Gan
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I nominate Cat's Eye.

And wholeheartedly second Thinner.

Harrald
12-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I must add The Langoliers to this list.

Kingdom almost can't be considered a King mini series. Unlike most King stuff this was his adaptation of another persons work.

obscurejude
12-02-2008, 02:54 PM

I'll second Apt Pupil. I am one of the few (at least according to what people wrote in the other thread) who liked the story, but I thought the film left a lot to be desired. The casting was well-done, the script and the direction not so much.

Agreed. I read the story for the first time when I was about 12 and it really took my mind to a place it had never been before. Its the evil potential of human nature at face value that is the most terrifying for me. Squashing a dove with a basket ball (movie) isn't the same as placing homeless people in ovens (book). Plus the ending was nothing like the book:

When Todd went on the shooting spree at the highway traffic until he was taken out.

obscurejude
12-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I must add The Langoliers to this list.

Kingdom almost can't be considered a King mini series. Unlike most King stuff this was his adaptation of another persons work.

I liked the movie version of the Langoliers more than the book.

:ducks:

Aaron
12-02-2008, 03:22 PM

True, but it still works for this category b/c King wrote the teleplays.

Heather19
12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I'll third Dreamcatcher!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I wish I could use my nomination to remove Maximum Overdrive from the list. I liked that movie. I think this is the only one that King directed himself as well.

ksmithcats
12-02-2008, 09:02 PM
'Salem's Lot Miniseries. It could have been really good (Rutger Hauer and Rob Lowe *swoon*), but what they did to Father Callahan's character was unforgivable.

Ruthful
12-02-2008, 11:04 PM
The Tommyknockers, The Shining (TV series), Graveyard Shift, Storm of the Century, Kingdom Hospital, The Running Man.

I would have put in The Langoliers for nomination if there weren't so many abominable Stephen King-related films in existence.

There are probably a dozen or so I've neglected to mention simply because I've either forgot them, or never watched them. But rest assured, they probably blow just the same.

Ruthful
12-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I nominate Cat's Eye.

You've got to be kidding me!?

The Lady of Shadows
12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
no she's completely serious. and i forgot to second it so i'll do that now.

second cat's eye.

Brice
12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm quitting this vote. While there are plenty that aren't comparable to the stories/books they came from. I can't think of one that didn't entertain me.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-03-2008, 12:25 AM
I have to agree with Brice, If there are so many abominable SK films, why do we all still watch every one that comes out. More than that we discuss how good/bad it will be for months before it comes out, and then discuss how good/bad it was for the next couple months.

Jean
12-03-2008, 12:40 AM
The Tommyknockers, The Shining (TV series), Graveyard Shift, Storm of the Century, Kingdom Hospital, The Running Man.
Which of the boldened is actually being nominated? It's one nomination per person.

Jean
12-03-2008, 12:41 AM
The Tommyknockers 4
Maximum Overdrive 3
The Mist 2
Dreamcatcher 3
The Stand miniseries 2
Thinner 2
The TV Miniseries of The Shining 4
The IT miniseries 5
Kingdom Hospital 2
Christine 1
Apt Pupil 2
The Shining (1980) 1
Cat's Eye 2
The Langoliers 1
'Salem's Lot Miniseries 1

jayson
12-03-2008, 05:18 AM
I have to agree with Brice, If there are so many abominable SK films, why do we all still watch every one that comes out. More than that we discuss how good/bad it will be for months before it comes out, and then discuss how good/bad it was for the next couple months.

Perhaps we watch them because we are hoping that since the source material is often so good that the adaptation will be worthy of our time. Perhaps we watch them because the good ones like Shawshank and Stand By Me show us that making adaptations of King's works can be done correctly.

I don't see what the problem is with legitimate criticism. I criticize King's source material (and yes, I read every one that comes out) so why wouldn't I criticize adaptations of it. That I read it or watched it doesn't automatically make it good.

Brice
12-03-2008, 05:36 AM
That I'll agree with. My statement was just personal opinion; I haven't found one I didn't like...although I gave up comparing the movies to their sources long ago. There are some I don't like as much as others, but none I don't like.

jayson
12-03-2008, 06:10 AM
That's completely fair Brice. Of course, I could probably still take a list of movies I like and rank them in terms of which I liked more than others, but I think it's apparent by now that I am a bit obsessed with analysis. :)

Brice
12-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Well, I could rank them as average; or above or below average, but what I can't do is say I liked this one BEST or WORST because I do truly enjoy them all. If I'm comparing two I probably could most of the time, but not comparing them all.

CRinVA
12-03-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm with Brice. I do not compare the cinematic versions to the books more than casually. I watch the movie versions and base my judgement on their merit alone. Some are OK, some Good, some Great. I don't understand why some people seem to make it a mission in life to bash every adaptation that doesn't strictly follow the book. I do not know of a single movie that totally follows the written word it's based on. Just not possible IMHO of course. :-)

So no vote for me! :-)

jayson
12-03-2008, 07:30 AM
For me it's not a matter of how strictly they follow the source material. I love Kubrick's The Shining though it differs greatly from King's. Coversely, I am one of a very small group of people who didn't care for the movie version of The Green Mile which didn't differ from the book in any perceptible way.

In my analytical model it's not a matter of how closely an adaptation mirrors the source material but how effectively it uses the crux of the source material. What I'm saying is that I judge them in part on their own merits, and in part on their effectiveness as adaptations. I think that's perfectly fair.

mae
12-03-2008, 07:52 AM
That's why I won't second The Shining (1980). But there have been some dreadful movies made from King works.

Aaron
12-03-2008, 07:54 AM
I nominate Desperation and second Christine.

jayson
12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
I'll second Desperation. For such a good book, I thought that was a terrible version of it. And, for the record, I feel it was a terrible work on it's own merits as well. Even if I'd never read the book I'd not have liked the screen version.

flaggwalkstheline
12-03-2008, 08:08 AM
3rd kingdom hospital not because i didnt like it (i did) but because abc cancelled it before it was over and moved it to cable which i didnt have at the time

Iwritecode
12-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm with Brice. I do not compare the cinematic versions to the books more than casually. I watch the movie versions and base my judgement on their merit alone. Some are OK, some Good, some Great. I don't understand why some people seem to make it a mission in life to bash every adaptation that doesn't strictly follow the book. I do not know of a single movie that totally follows the written word it's based on. Just not possible IMHO of course. :-)

So no vote for me! :-)

The Langoliers follows the book nearly word for word.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, is Hearts In Atlantis IMO. While it followed the basic premise of the book, the title of the movie made no sense to the average non-SK fan since it actually came from the second story in the book.

Plus they completely took out all the DT-related stuff so you never really knew exactly who the the men in the yellow coats were or why they were chasing after Ted. I can kinda understand why they did it that way, but I don't like it. I don't like the fact that they were basically humans either.

John_and_Yoko
12-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Plus they completely took out all the DT-related stuff so you never really knew exactly who the the men in the yellow coats were or why they were chasing after Ted. I can kinda understand why they did it that way, but I don't like it. I don't like the fact that they were basically humans either.

As far as this goes....

Apparently they just used Stephen King's original idea for them--FBI agents using psychics to root out Communists--before he changed it and had the DT-related stuff.

Iwritecode
12-03-2008, 12:22 PM

As far as this goes....

Apparently they just used Stephen King's original idea for them--FBI agents using psychics to root out Communists--before he changed it and had the DT-related stuff.

Never knew about that...

Ruthful
12-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Which of the boldened is actually being nominated? It's one nomination per person.

In that case, Kingdom Hospital.

Heather19
12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I'll third Desperation.

Ruthful, you didn't like Storm of the Century? That's one of my favorites. I was even contemplating nominating it for best on screen but decided against it since my vote will be going elsewhere.

Ruthful
12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I watched five or six minutes of it. I don't know, it just struck me as being in the awful, The Tommyknockers, The Langoliers, The Shining, made-for-TV mode. I even read the screenplay they released as a book, and that wasn't one for the ages either, although I liked it better than the actual film.

I can't believe there are people who hate Cat Eye. Next to The Shining, and perhaps Misery-although I actually think Cat's Eye is better-that's probably the single best adaptation of a Stephen King work.

educatedlady
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I will also nominate The Tommyknockers.

Jean
12-04-2008, 03:15 AM
The Tommyknockers 5
Maximum Overdrive 3
The Mist 2
Dreamcatcher 3
The Stand miniseries 2
Thinner 2
The TV Miniseries of The Shining 4
The IT miniseries 5
Kingdom Hospital 4
Christine 2
Apt Pupil 2
The Shining (1980) 1
Cat's Eye 2
The Langoliers 1
Desperation 2

Sam
12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I'll second The Shining (1980)

Tiffany
12-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I'll third Desperation. I think I was most disappointed with that one when I saw it.

Heather19
12-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I'll add a vote to The Shinning miniseries. To me it just doesn't compare to Kubrick's version.

jayson
12-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I'll add a vote to The Shinning miniseries.

Misspelling or a reference to my favorite Simpsons' Halloween episode? :lol:

Heather19
12-04-2008, 04:32 PM
:lol:
that's my favorite as well

Sam
12-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I despised Kubrick's The Shining. It didn't tell the story that King wrote, plain and simple. As a stand alone film, it was ok. As an adaptation, it didn't adapt the film. It missed the mark just as badly as the film Rising Sun did, IMO.

Jean
12-04-2008, 11:57 PM
I despised Kubrick's The Shining. It didn't tell the story that King wrote, plain and simple. As a stand alone film, it was ok. As an adaptation, it didn't adapt the film. It missed the mark just as badly as the film Rising Sun did, IMO.
I haven't seen Rising Sun, but I share this feeling about The Shining.

ksmithcats
12-05-2008, 04:50 AM
I've been surprised by all the people who hate the "Shinning" (my husband says it that way every time teehee) miniseries....makes me feel kinda nerdy. It's admittedly not the most artistic and technically well-made or acted film. But it's just my very favorite adaptation *looks no-one in the eye*

Jean
12-06-2008, 01:22 AM
The Tommyknockers 5
Maximum Overdrive 3
The Mist 2
Dreamcatcher 3
The Stand miniseries 2
Thinner 2
The TV Miniseries of The Shining 6
The IT miniseries 5
Kingdom Hospital 4
Christine 2
Apt Pupil 2
The Shining (1980) 1
Cat's Eye 2
The Langoliers 1
Desperation 3

Aaron
12-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Nominations in this category close in one week.

Randall Flagg
12-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Awfully late, but a good link that lists movies based upon a SK book or story (http://bestsellers.about.com/od/stephenking/a/king_films.htm).

woogie88888
12-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I would have to say IT was the worst one if for no other reason the Eddie spaghetti thing his nick-name was eds. And they didn't play up the dependency on mom right either.just an awful mess Christine was another one where they changed the story too much I just hope they don't ever try to ruin the dark tower.

Jean
12-11-2008, 11:37 PM
The Tommyknockers 5
Maximum Overdrive 3
The Mist 2
Dreamcatcher 3
The Stand miniseries 2
Thinner 2
The TV Miniseries of The Shining 6
The IT miniseries 5
Kingdom Hospital 4
Christine 3