PDA

View Full Version : The books you could never finish somehow...

Pages : [1] 2

Letti
07-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh, there are many but let me start with this one: LOTR
When they had been climbing that mountain for 300 pages and they turned back.. I closed the book and I never opened it again.
One day I will have to give it a try.
What about you?

Cutter
07-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Surprisingly Bag of Bones. I bought it on release and got about 75% of the way through and gave up, always meaning to finish it, but I never did.

I finished it by listening to the audio book version, just this year. lol

I've also tried Dune a couple of times, but have never been able to finish it.

Jean
07-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Neither seems too surprizing to me.

I hardly finished Bag of Bones, and never made it through Dune.

funky dredd
07-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Lisey's Story. I have tried twice but just couldn't do it, I either haven't been in the right frame of mind or the timing wasn't right. I'll finish it eventually.

Bethany
07-27-2007, 09:42 AM
The Wind in the Willows and War & Peace. Those are the only books that I have never been able to finish. If I start a book I have to finish it, it's a compulsion with me, but those 2 books just whupped me.

Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story are awesome. I command you all to finish them both. :P

Jean
07-27-2007, 09:50 AM
War and Peace is studied at Russian schools by 13-year old kids, can you believe it? I was able to read and enjoy it only when I was past 30. But it's also the question of language, of course. Tolstoy's language is splendid, I am not sure it's the same in translation.

Come to think of it, I never finished The Wind in the Willows, either. I wonder what the reason might be.

I will read Lisey's Story as soon as I can lay my paws on it, which is probably not very soon.

I did finish Bag of Bones. I even read it a second time, about two years after the first, in case I had overlooked something - you know, books often get better on second/third etc reading. That one didn't. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

Bethany
07-27-2007, 09:59 AM
I think part of the reason I enjoyed BoB so much was my youngest was the same age as Kyra when I read it and just as precocious. Plus, the whole child custody angle is my bread and butter.

She-Oy
07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
I could never finish Wind and the Willows either...it crushed my aunt because she always thought it was the best children's book, but I just remember being absolutely bored by it. Wasn't there a frog in it or something? LOL

fernandito
07-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I started this book called Bloodtide by an author with the last name of Burgess....I honestly don't remember why I stopped reading it, it seemed like a solid piece of post-apocalyptic sci fi reading.

Matt
07-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I think part of the reason I enjoyed BoB so much was my youngest was the same age as Kyra when I read it and just as precocious. Plus, the whole child custody angle is my bread and butter.

I still call bathing suits "suity" :lol:

"gotta make sure I pack my suity to go to Denver this weekend"

fernandito
07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
don't forget your lunchables ;)

Darkthoughts
07-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Wasn't there a frog in it or something? LOL
:D A toad - Toad of Toad Hall...he was the best part!

Jean
07-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Wasn't there a frog in it or something? LOL
:D A toad - Toad of Toad Hall...he was the best part!
yes, I remember him, too! I also remember that I learned the word otter from there... which lived dormant inside me for about 20 years before I finally needed it to identify
Hermione's patronus

Letti
07-28-2007, 08:31 AM
I never finished the Lord of the Flies. *hides behind a tree*

Jean
07-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Nikolett, I adore you. This is one of the books I hate with all my heart.

Letti
07-28-2007, 08:34 AM

Are you serious? *big happy sigh* Does it mean I am not a monster?

Jean
07-28-2007, 08:34 AM
It might mean we both are.

Letti
07-28-2007, 08:35 AM
It might mean we both are.

If you are, too.. I don't mind being one. See? :huglove:

Jean
07-28-2007, 08:46 AM
we as two monsters:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/wedding.jpg

Letti
07-28-2007, 09:06 AM
we as two monsters:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/wedding.jpg

You know what?
We are lucky.
And beautiful.

Anyway. You know how much I am interested in everything that you are. So, why didn't you like this book? Moreover you have said you can't stand it.

Jean
07-28-2007, 09:12 AM
I will try, with time, ok? Now I am so engrossed in HP7 that I really wouldn't like to think of a book I , as you correctly said, can't stand. I would love to hear your reasons, though.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti
07-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Oh I see. Take your time, dearest Jean. Sometimes it's good to wait. I cannot wait to know your view.
(I remember somewhere Fruno said it's his favourite book.)

Matt
07-28-2007, 09:22 AM
I liked it okay, didn't really pick up the "deep meaning" side of it because I tend to be shallow like puddle. :lol:

As far as suspense and "what's going to happen to these poor boys" it was worth the read.

Letti
07-28-2007, 09:31 AM
"what's going to happen to these poor boys" ??? :lol: I like it.

Bethany
07-28-2007, 03:01 PM
The drift of this thread makes me wonder if there's one for books we absolutely hate.

Mordred Deschain
07-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Never made it through Dune!!!???!!!
*has minor stroke*
jst kidding.

never made it all the way through Skinny Dip.

OchrisO
07-28-2007, 05:43 PM
I've never made it through The Story of B by Daniel Quinn, despite being a huge fan of his book Ishmael, loving the concept behind The Story of B and being intersted it it. I just get frustrated with having to flip back to the back of the book for B's sermons. I have tried to finish it twice.

Mordred Deschain
07-28-2007, 05:56 PM
I've never made it through The Story of B by Daniel Quinn, despite being a huge fan of his book Ishmael, loving the concept behind The Story of B and being intersted it it. I just get frustrated with having to flip back to the back of the book for B's sermons. I have tried to finish it twice.

Ya I think you and I have had a similiar discussion. I can't find my copy of the Story of B, and I did start it. So there for, I never made it through that either. I don't know what it is, Ishmael was really good, trying to figure out why I lost interest with B.

Letti
07-29-2007, 01:23 AM
The drift of this thread makes me wonder if there's one for books we absolutely hate.

You won't believe this but I was tihnking about the same.. can we hate a book at all?
I don't know. Maybe if we are very very disappointed.
I have just finished a book. When I was reading the last 10 pages (the book itself has 500 pages) I was so deadly disappointed I can't describe. But I wouldn't say I hate that book. I am just angry and disappointed.

Jean
07-29-2007, 01:28 AM
if we can love a book, why can't we hate one? If books can be our friends and teachers, why not enemies and corrupters? I am sure there are books both noble and ignoble, inspiring and suicide-inducing, courageous and cowardly, life-givers and killers.

Letti
07-29-2007, 01:33 AM
And are there books you hate, Jean?

Bethany
07-29-2007, 03:59 AM

You won't believe this but I was tihnking about the same.. can we hate a book at all?
I don't know. Maybe if we are very very disappointed.
I have just finished a book. When I was reading the last 10 pages (the book itself has 500 pages) I was so deadly disappointed I can't describe. But I wouldn't say I hate that book. I am just angry and disappointed.

The Story of O comes to mind very quickly. And there was one (non-fiction) that I can't remember the name of that was about a woman's near death experience which supposedly led her to have all kinds of spiritual powers that made me so mad that I threw the book across the room when I fininshed it and then immediately trashed it.

Letti
07-29-2007, 04:41 AM
Oh let me know why, please. :) What was the problem with it?

Jean
07-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Thank you Bethany: Nikolett, that was a good beginning to answering your question. The Story of O definitely belongs to the books I hate. (judging by the description, I wouldn't be crazy about the other one Bethany has described, either)

Bethany
07-29-2007, 04:53 AM
The Story of O left me feeling slimy and dirty and violated, especially since it is considered to be one of the defining erotic books. That's just horribly depressing and hopeless if it is. The other book went against all of my spiritual beliefs and angered me.

Letti
07-29-2007, 05:53 AM
I see. Thank you for your answers. You made me interested in that book. :D But I don't think I will read it.

Jean
07-29-2007, 06:40 AM
what I hate most about books is lying - when the author twists the realilty to fit his pet ideas, as then tries to pass it off as the Bitter Ultimate Truth. That's what happened in The Story of O, and, by the way, Lord of the Flies, too.

Mordred Deschain
07-29-2007, 07:05 AM
I hate that one book...you know...has an old testament and a new testament and talks about god and such. really pisses me off when people think that the events in said book are factual and happened exactly the way it is written. What's the name of that book, oh ya, the bible (catholic or christian).

Jean
07-29-2007, 07:27 AM
it's ok. When people vulgarize the New or Old Testament (thinking it happened exactly the way it is written, as you said) it pisses me off, too, though I am a Roman Catholic. Please friends, let's not start religious dicussion here, though.

Mordred Deschain
07-29-2007, 08:00 AM
it's ok. When people vulgarize the New or Old Testament (thinking it happened exactly the way it is written, as you said) it pisses me off, too, though I am a Roman Catholic. Please friends, let's not start religious dicussion here, though.

I'm also a roman catholic (not that I still follow it). Anyway, okay sorry I thru the bible out there, as much as I was serious about the comment, it was a half hearted joke to. Someone's gotta be the 'smartass' right?

Jean
07-29-2007, 08:07 AM
it was perfectly ok! I only didn't want other people (such as myself, to name just one...http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_innocent.gif) to understand it the way we're now opening a religious discussion here http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_original.gif

Mordred Deschain
07-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Oh I gotya. Sometimes I forget that throwing such comments out is like opening a big can of worms.

Letti
07-29-2007, 12:50 PM
what I hate most about books is lying - when the author twists the realilty to fit his pet ideas, as then tries to pass it off as the Bitter Ultimate Truth. That's what happened in The Story of O, and, by the way, Lord of the Flies, too.

Damn good point. And book made me very disappointed and sad because of the same reason you are writing about above.

Daghain
07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
I always feel obligated to finish a book once I start it. I have no idea why. :)

I do, however, have only ONE book I could never finish, and it was required reading for a 400 level English class I had. The book is Blood Meridian. I can't even remember the author, it was so bad. I mean, no plot, just a bunch of guys going around killing people. I got about 1/2 way through the book and gave up...and still got an 'A' on the assignment. :lol: I guess that means I wasn't the only person who couldn't stand that book. Or, I'm better at BSing my way through a paper. :)

I am still laughing about this 4 years later. But damn, that book was BAD. :pullhair:

Mordred Deschain
07-31-2007, 08:19 PM
heh...never actually made it through Midsummer Night's Dream

MonteGss
07-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Danse Macabre by Stephen King
BORING! :)
I think towards the middle, I just started skim-reading. :)

Jean
07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
yes... I still haven't finished it... started exactly one year ago.

Frunobulax
07-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Never made it through:
The Lovely Bones [stopped after 3 chapters]
Lolita [stopped almost 2/3 through]
Finnegans Wake [after 3 tries]

Daghain
08-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Ooh, okay, TWO books I haven't read. I forgot about Danse Macabre.

You're right. It was booooring. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

Letti
08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
You haven't finished Lolita, Matt? I can understand. I think it happens to many people and I know Jean can't stand what I write but I read it twice but most of the people around me could never finsih it.

Is Danse Macabre so boring? I am sure I would love it. :lol:

Jean
08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
You haven't finished Lolita, Matt? I can understand. I think it happens to many people and I know Jean can't stand what I write but I read it twice but most of the people around me could never finsih it.

I can stand what you write. Moreover, I love it. I can't stand what Nabokov wrote. It makes some difference.

Letti
08-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Oh I see. (I guess you got when I wanted to express.)
But anyway there is a lot kindness in what you wrote, Jean. Thank you.

Daghain
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Is Danse Macabre so boring?

I found it kind of dry. I may reread it just to see if I still hold the same opinion - it's been a long time since I tried the first time.

MonteGss
08-01-2007, 01:46 PM

Yes.

Wuducynn
08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Last of the Mohicans. God, I hated that book.

MonteGss
08-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Have you read the others in the series, CK? I did enjoy them all.

Mordred Deschain
08-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Celtic Wisdom, never finished it, to much like manual.

Frunobulax
08-01-2007, 04:50 PM

I can stand what you write. Moreover, I love it. I can't stand what Nabokov wrote. It makes some difference.

Yes.

I found the book dull, rather repetitive, morally repulsing the kind of way I do mind (it takes a lot to get me like that), and just bad.

Letti
08-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Yes.

Okay. I am convinced. :lol:

MonteGss
08-03-2007, 08:11 PM

Yes.

Okay. I am convinced. :lol:

:)
You should be!
:wub:

Ruthful
08-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Any fiction written by Ayn Rand.

Erin
08-14-2007, 11:24 AM
I've tried to read the Hobbit 3 times but just couldn't get into it. However, I'm almost done with The Fellowship of the Ring right now and I'm loving it, so I think when I finish the Lord of the Rings, I'll give the Hobbit another go.

Darkthoughts
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I was the other way round for a long time - I read the Hobbit so many times, but could never get all the way through the LotR books. The Hobbit is very British to me though, it invokes alot of imagery of where I live (which is a Shire) and the way things used to be around these sorts of farming communities.

Chassit
08-14-2007, 02:33 PM
I have never been able to finish The Neverending Story, I can't even sit through the movie.

XIX

MonteGss
08-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Is it because it is neverending? :lol:
Sorry, bad, I know...I just couldn't help it.

Daghain
08-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Neverending...ha ha ha. :lol:

http://home.comcast.net/~sellers66/beconfidentatreyurp8.jpg

MonteGss
08-14-2007, 08:42 PM
"ATREYU!!!!"
:lol:

Daghain
08-14-2007, 08:43 PM
BWAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Letti
08-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I have never been able to finish The Neverending Story, I can't even sit through the movie.

XIX

And what was the problem? Can you name it?

Darkthoughts
08-15-2007, 06:07 AM

I liked the book, which I still have, but I haven't read it in years. Wasn't too keen on the film though...it missed out so much and was too cheesy.

sarajean
08-19-2007, 10:32 AM

I liked the book, which I still have, but I haven't read it in years. Wasn't too keen on the film though...it missed out so much and was too cheesy.

i loved how it was printed in green and red ink.

i wish i knew what had happened to my copy of it. maybe my mom still has it in storage at her place.

Girlystevedave
10-11-2007, 08:05 PM
The Scarlet Letter was a bunch of garbage. It's the only book I can remember not finishing. It gave me such a headache. I put it down when I ALMOST finished it. I really wanted the last few days of my life back. I'm still bitter about it.

MonteGss
10-11-2007, 08:13 PM
That book took me way too damn long to finish...
I feel your pain. :)

Girlystevedave
10-11-2007, 08:36 PM
That book took me way too damn long to finish...
I feel your pain. :)

That book taught me to look for dialogue breaks in a story before I give it a chance. Every time I turned the page, I was screaming inside, wondering what I had gotten myself into.

Jean
10-11-2007, 11:34 PM
the above very accurately describes my feelings about the book in question

chuxter
10-12-2007, 05:02 AM
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
No matter how hard I tried I couldn't finish it. I've opened the book 3 times since I first got it in '90 and I can't seem to grok it at all.

Player Piano - Kurt Vonnegut
I started reading this last year and again, it just doesn't hold my interest for very long.

Wuducynn
10-12-2007, 05:28 AM
I can't seem to grok it at all.

This qualifies you as a total geek. *Hands The Chuxter his geek badge* Wear it with pride my friend..wear it with pride.

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-12-2007, 05:41 AM
i could never finish the talisman i always got 100pgs into it and it never held my attention

Darkthoughts
10-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Have you tried Black House though IKTCK?

Storyslinger
10-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Danse Macabre, but that was about two years ago, I just re-started it and think I'll finish it this time

chuxter
10-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Thank you, thank you.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/chuxter/geek-of-the-month.gif

Jean
10-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Danse Macabre, but that was about two years ago, I just re-started it and think I'll finish it this time
tell me if you do finish it. You'll set an example I'll try to follow.

alinda
10-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Ditto that ....this Dance Macabre is the only SK book I havent finished, I thought I was alone in this. OK I feel better now :fairy:

Heather19
10-13-2007, 07:32 AM
i could never finish the talisman i always got 100pgs into it and it never held my attention

Same with me. I think I got about 150 pages in before I put it down.

Darkthoughts
10-13-2007, 11:54 AM
A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth. I finished it, but I skipped chunks at a time, its very involved and sometimes long winded - but a good book all the same.

Harrald
10-13-2007, 01:49 PM
The Silmarillion by Tolkien.

I'm almost done with "The Collectors" by David Baldacci. After that I have "Hearts in Atlantis" by King. Then I will try The Silmarillion for the 7th or 8th time.

Letti
10-14-2007, 01:45 AM
8th time? Uff.

Storyslinger
10-15-2007, 07:11 AM
tell me if you do finish it. You'll set an example I'll try to follow.

Ditto that ....this Dance Macabre is the only SK book I havent finished, I thought I was alone in this. OK I feel better now :fairy:

:rock:
I did it,
I guess I found some of the parts more intresting now:rock:

Good luck to you guys in the reading

Wuducynn
10-15-2007, 08:53 AM
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker. I'm a fan of his Hellraiser movies (well 1-3 haven't seen the rest and I've heard that I shouldn't bother) and I want to give his other novels a try but this one, I got under half way through and put it down because I lost interest.
No big, deep, dark mystery drawing me more and more into the story, it just seemed to go on and on and my interest dried up.

Asterisco
10-19-2007, 11:46 AM
No doubts!

Ulysses, by James Joyce!

If you read it, or at least tried to, I don't need to explain why I couldn't finish it!

Jean
10-19-2007, 10:46 PM
No. You don't need to. I couldn't agree more.

MonteGss
10-20-2007, 08:06 AM
I read lots of nonfiction too. I have Bill Clinton's My Life*. Jeez is that book ginormous. I started it but put it down after a hundred pages to move on to some fiction. I will go back to it again at a later date.

*There will be no need for potential bickering-like comments, friends. :)

Daghain
10-20-2007, 12:19 PM
There's too many to even start with, dear. :lol:

MonteGss
10-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Play nice. I read books from all types of people, I'm no bigot when it comes to reading. :P Oh, I forgot, I won't read trashy smut books, the bodice rippers. :)

Daghain
10-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I was being nice. I kept my comments to myself. :lol:

MonteGss
10-21-2007, 09:55 AM
I was being nice. I kept my comments to myself. :lol:

:thumbsup:
Good girl. :D

BlakeMP
10-21-2007, 01:40 PM
One of these days, I swear, I'll get around to finishing Lisey's Story.

Jean
10-22-2007, 01:40 AM
One of these days, I swear, I'll get around to finishing Lisey's Story.
So will I. I reallized I couldn't read it at home, or I fell asleep immediately; now I take it along when I go by subway, so hopefully in four to seven workdays (depending on how hard other commuters will lean on me) it will be over. At last.

CRinVA
10-23-2007, 05:54 AM

I guess this just shows how different we all are - I couldn't get through Dune (there are actually 14 books right now) fast enough and I absolutely loved Bag of Bones!

I struggled through Dolores Claiborne (I think it was the writing style, 1st person with no logical breaks) but then I listened to the audio book version and absolutley loved it!

I ate up Lord of the Rings, but could not finish The Silmarillion!

TerribleT
12-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I have tried numberous times to read The Source, by James Michener. I've been told it's one of his best works, and I'm sure that's probably true. It took me years to finally finish reading Centenial, and once I finally did, it was AWESOME. I just can't get by all the description in The Source

CPU
12-07-2007, 10:04 AM
The Phonebook by AT&T really pisses me off. Everytime I get close to finishing it the jackass author re-writes the damn thing and I have to start over.

Oh, and I haven't been able to make it through Lisey's Story yet either.

Jean
12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Which version do you prefer, the Original or [any of the] Revised?

The Phonebook by AT&T really pisses me off. Everytime I get close to finishing it the jackass author re-writes the damn thing and I have to start over.

I have. It's an improvement on AT&T phonebook... but only marginal.
The last 100 or so pages are ok, though, but I am not sure they make up for the whole ordeal.

Ruthful
12-07-2007, 12:33 PM
War and Peace is studied at Russian schools by 13-year old kids, can you believe it? I was able to read and enjoy it only when I was past 30. But it's also the question of language, of course. Tolstoy's language is splendid, I am not sure it's the same in translation.

The translation is a problem, probably more so in English-language editions of the novel.

The new translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky is supposed to be incomparable.

I suppose the fact that you have a native Russian speaker and native English speaker, who are married to one another and who work together, helps matters.

sai blaine
12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
I've yet to read a book i cudnt finish for two reasons...

1. Stef and Kim are veeeery good at picking great books and throwing them at me :beat:

2. I just cant leave a book unfinished no matter how bad it gets, cos i will always wonder how did it end or what happened to bob etc...

CPU
12-07-2007, 07:39 PM

I have. It's an improvement on AT&T phonebook... but only marginal.
The last 100 or so pages are ok, though, but I am not sure they make up for the whole ordeal.

I'll probably take a run at Lisey's Story again when I finish what I'm currently reading. I had a hard time getting through Gerald's Game too, but in the end I found that I'd really liked the story.

Ruthful
12-08-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't know if this thread is reserved exclusively for fiction, so I'll throw out a few non-fiction titles I couldn't complete.

Hitler's Willing Executioners-Goldhagen has some interesting theories exploring the complicity of so many people in The Holocaust, but the book itself is too academic and dry, which is why I couldn't make it past two hundred pages. You need to read some of the memoirs by Holocaust survivors, e.g. Jack Ratz's Endless Miracles-which chronicles the survival of a Latvian son and father in a series of concentration camps throughout E. Europe-or the recently published memoir of an Italian woman whose entire family was murdered in Auschwitz, or something like Maus, in order to grasp the enormity of this crime.

But even among academic studies of The Holocaust-its causes and its impact on the European psyche-there are better books than Goldhagen's, IMO.

I also couldn't complete Final Exit. It's the only book I've ever read that caused me actual nausea, and that is saying something, considering the fact that I was able to make it through Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking without vomiting.

Old Man Splitfoot
12-08-2007, 02:44 AM
We're not counting books that were assigned to us in high school that we never finished, because we generally didn't do homework but instead copied and/or BS'd our way through tests? 'Cause I don't think I finished anything that was assigned to me in school. They threw To Kill a Mockingbird at me both my Freshman and Sophomore years (different schools) and I didn't finish it either time.

Only King novel I never finished was Thinner. I only tried once, but it just didn't do anything for me. Roadwork was on that list for the longest time; I'd try to read it, but I never got past the first couple pages. But then about a year ago, I finally finished it, and realized it was pretty badass.

And I kind of finished Danse Macabre. I figure this is a book that's meant to be skimmed through in some parts; I didn't read every word in the book, but I read enough of it for me to feel like I finished it. I'm certainly finshed with it. I love King and all, but I don't need to re-read that one.

Ruthful
12-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Any fiction written by Ayn Rand.

CyberGhostface
12-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I never finished Eragon. Using the Ted Brautigan Rule of Finishing Books, I read about 50 pages before putting it down. After reading stuff by George R.R. Martin, this was just blah.

OchrisO
12-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I had trouble when I first started Eragon, but as the story progressed, I really enjoyed it. I still haven't finished teh second book, though.

jayson
12-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Roadwork was on that list for the longest time; I'd try to read it, but I never got past the first couple pages. But then about a year ago, I finally finished it, and realized it was pretty badass.

Roadwork took me several tries over several years to complete, and I agree, once I did finish it, I realized it was better than I had originally thought it would turn out to be. I still haven't been able to finish Lisey's Story.

Darkthoughts
12-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I always defend Lisey's Story...persevere, it is good!!

jayson
12-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I always give King multiple chances, so I am sure Lisey's Story will get another go at some point.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 03:36 PM
I always defend Lisey's Story...persevere, it is good!!

This is the same feeling I have of Rose Madder, except the "defending" part because I don't usually feel the need to defend works of art. You either like/love it or don't.

Kevin
12-10-2007, 04:53 PM
All of the LOTR books, especially #1. A lot of Mitchener books, but I usually finish them because I know the start is the only part that is boring.

jayson
12-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I have a biography of Coltrane that I've gone many rounds with but have never been able to go the distance. There is a LOT of music theory in it, which is not my strong suit. It's fascinating, but much of it may as well be in another language.

Sympathy For The Devil
12-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Iv tried reading catch 22 a couple of times, i just couldnt get the flow happenin, i was really busy at the time though so i might give it another go.

Jean
12-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Iv tried reading catch 22 a couple of times, i just couldnt get the flow happenin, i was really busy at the time though so i might give it another go.
Catch 22 has a rather complex structure. It gets easier after first three or four chapters. It gets absolutely, uncomparably, ultimately great since the chapter about Clevinger trial.

Sympathy For The Devil
12-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Catch 22 has a rather complex structure. It gets easier after first three or four chapters. It gets absolutely, uncomparably, ultimately great since the chapter about Clevinger trial.

Il probably give it another shot after christmas.

TerribleT
12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
All of the LOTR books, especially #1. A lot of Mitchener books, but I usually finish them because I know the start is the only part that is boring.

I love Michener, but you really have to slug the first 150-500 pages out. Centenial was one of my all time favorite books, but it took me at least three tries to read it.

Mattrick
12-20-2007, 04:39 PM
The Dark Half. Was halfway through it when I got Dark Tower 7 and picked it back up but couldn't get back into it. I'd almost like someone to spoil it for me so I know what happens. Same thing almost happened with Bag of Bones when I got Wolves of the Calla but that book was too good to let slide.

Gerald's Game. Read the first half twice; lost my book once and another had In School Suspension and the book was there, never finished it. Wonder if I'll ever get around to finishing it again.

TerribleT
12-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Gerald's Game. Read the first half twice; lost my book once and another had In School Suspension and the book was there, never finished it. Wonder if I'll ever get around to finishing it again.

I really enjoyed Geralds Game

jayson
12-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I struggled a couple of times with Gerald's Game, but eventually did finish it, and I was glad I did.

Jean
12-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I liked both The Dark Half and Gerald's Game.

Fishonabike
12-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I never finished Dune, although the only time I picked it up was back when I was in elementary school. so it deserves another go.

I had a similar experience with Asimov's Foundation. I tried again in 8th grade and that time I ripped through the series.

I stalled on Interview with the Vampire and couldn't finish it. Nor could I finish Cry to Heaven, also by Rice.

Jean
12-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I never finished Dune
<...>
I had a similar experience with Asimov's Foundation.
<...>
I stalled on Interview with the Vampire and couldn't finish it.
<...>

are we Twinners??? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

Fishonabike
12-21-2007, 11:00 AM
I never finished Dune
<...>
I had a similar experience with Asimov's Foundation.
<...>
I stalled on Interview with the Vampire and couldn't finish it.
<...>

are we Twinners??? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif
That or we've been assimilated. :o

:borg:

Mattrick
12-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I liked both The Dark Half and Gerald's Game.

Any chance you could spoil everything Past when Thad goes to his office to look through his files...about half way through I can't be more specific.

cozener
01-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Insomnia...it just never could get a firm grasp on my attention. I finally put it down for good about a 3rd of the way through. I thought I could bulldoze my through it for the sake of getting to the end like I did with the last 3 DT books but no dice.

Wuducynn
01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Insomnia...it just never could get a firm grasp on my attention. I finally put it down for good about a 3rd of the way through. I thought I could bulldoze my through it for the sake of getting to the end like I did with the last 3 DT books but no dice.

*Empties an entire magazine of a Tommy gun into Cozener's stomach for this opinion and puts out his cigar butt on his forehead* *tsssss*

Jean
01-13-2008, 01:08 AM
well done, AllHail.

::applause::

Darkthoughts
01-13-2008, 04:41 AM
:lol: I'm an Insomnia fan too ;)

I'm finding "A Rage In Harlem" quite boring too...if it was any longer I probably wouldn't bother - but I think I can finish it by this afternoon, so I'll persevere.

Jimmy
01-22-2008, 08:48 AM
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Collection. I got the ending spoiled to me accidently on this site, and since then I haven't even bothered to pick up last book even though I was almost done.

PedroPáramo
01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Needful things by Sai King
and THE WAR OF THE END OF THE WORLD
by Vargas Llosa

William50
01-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Insomnia by SK. I was inturupted about 3/4 of the way through when I started reading Pet Cemetery. I sort of forgot all about Insomnia, and now of course I am reading the DT series. I will finish it eventually.

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 12:42 AM
I never finished Lisey's Story yet...

Woofer
02-07-2008, 04:26 AM

This is usually taught in junior high here, but somehow I missed that. I started trying to read it approximately 3 years ago. I'm only about 1/2 done, and I can't seem to bring myself to pick it up again. Yet.*

*I will finish it one day, but only because I, too, am one of those driven to finish a book.

John_and_Yoko
02-07-2008, 06:35 AM
It's a rare thing when I can't finish a book I start.... But it's been known to happen.

Books I've started but haven't finished: Lord of the Flies, The Mists of Avalon (though I'm sure that can and will change at some point, in both cases), and Ben-Hur (which I'm less confident about, though I want to like that too).

Odd thing is, I've seen the movies of all of those, and enjoyed them.... What the hey? :unsure:

EDIT: And where did that "John F. Kennedy" under my name come from...? Not that I'm complaining--JFK was my favorite president, just curious.

Shelbs
02-07-2008, 06:58 AM
The books that I've never finished: Needful Things and Gerald's Game. I doubt I'll pick them up again any time soon since I just got my new books in.

The one book that I do have to give a shout out to is Lisey's Story. Man, I couldn't get into that book at first, put it down two or three times and finally just took the plunge and raced through to the end. I'm so glad I did - it's a really good book, in my top five for SK.

Míchéal
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
i found lord of the flies really good...

PedroPáramo
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
New one:
The world according to Garp,
John Irving

jhanic
02-09-2008, 09:43 AM
"Call me Ishmael"--Moby Dick. And I was an English major in college! That book is terrible!

John

Letti
02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
"Call me Ishmael"--Moby Dick. And I was an English major in college! That book is terrible!

John

What's the problem with it? :D

jhanic
02-09-2008, 10:04 AM
It's terribly written, and the story (about one man's obsession with a white whale) isn't that good either. Yet it's considered by many to be a "classic". One section of the book goes on for 60+ pages discussing whale blubber! Yech!!

John

Letti
02-09-2008, 10:06 AM
I have never touched that book but one day I will read it because there are two types of people - who love it and who can't stand it. :)

Jean
02-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I am one of those who love it........

jhanic
02-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Why?

John

Jean
02-09-2008, 11:51 AM
don't know. To answer the question I think I'll have to re-read it (which I'll do with pleasure as soon as I can get it). I read it about fifteen years ago, was absolutely engrossed even though I had, of course, known what it was about. I still remember it very well, but not the text, - rather, like one remembers a very vivid dream; as Mr.King put it, there definitely was that hole in the middle of the page that made me feel I was there.

Daghain
02-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I have personally made it my police NEVER to read that book. :lol:

Jean
02-10-2008, 10:36 AM
hm
hm

I have a hunch that you might like it

jayson
02-10-2008, 10:46 AM
read it, hated it. love to play the zeppelin song named after it. that's as far as i go with moby dick.

Daghain
02-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Oh, no no no no. Just from what I've heard, I hate it already. I am not a fan of long passages of descriptive writing, and that book would probably be a door stop in less than a week. :lol:

RUBE
02-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I could not finish Dark Rivers of the Heart by Dean Koontz. The only other book of his I read was Whispers and I liked that one. DRotH just couldn't hold my attention for some reason.

Scoogs
02-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Gerald's Game is the only book by any author that I've never finished. I tried reading it a few years after my first attempt and hated it just as much the second time.

I came really close to not bothering to finish Frankenstein, but managed to force myself through to the end. (Of course by the end I couldn't wait for someone to kill the doctor, just so I wouldn't have to put up with anymore of his pathetic whining.)

walterodim
03-04-2008, 03:40 PM
For some reason I still haven't finished IT. Somewhere near page 900 I just stopped reading. It's been 3 years now.
I intend to finish it before my 50th birthday though..

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Never read Moby Dick... hated The Crucible... Hated most of the so-called classics they made us read in school but mostly I HATED JOHNNY TREMAIN!

aurora
03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Strangely I started Dune 5 times and never got more then a hundred pages in. Then a few years later I started it for the 6th time and have been in love with the series since!

mia/susannah
03-05-2008, 06:12 AM
I could not finish reading Dreamcatcher. I tried several times but found I could not get into the book. I have the movie and it is great. That is the only book by Stephen King that I have not been able to get into. I don't read anyone else. I don't know why I don't read another author but I just dont'.:pirate:

Storyslinger
03-05-2008, 06:13 AM
The movie definitly differs from the book, but your right, its a hard book to get into.

sarajean
03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
**bump**

Chap
03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
American Gods...
I'm on the third attempt now. For some reason I just can't finish it. I love the theme, the setting, the idea behind and everything. The main character is great, but for some strange reason I can't finish it. But I'd still say it's the best Gaiman book I've "read" :orely:

SigTauGimp
03-18-2009, 08:58 PM
For the most part, any book I pick up, I'll finish, even if I don't like it...the only exceptions have been Needful Things(I don't know why...I've tried picking it up probably half a dozen times, but something else always ends up distracting me.), and Dune (Heard nothing but good things, but couldn't really get into the opening.).

gromit
03-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Cell, not that i did not enjoy what i read, just never got around to finishing it, and don't really feel inclined to.

I wonder what the percentage is of people who started reading Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, and actually read the whole thing.

5% maybe?

razz
03-19-2009, 02:32 AM
Misery: got halfway through, then it got REALLY boring for me. like epic. then someone ruined the ending for me, and i haven't really considered trying again.

Lisey's Story: Got about 60 pages in. didn't like it

Christine: had to return to library. couldn't renew, and there were other books i got into

Insomnia: same as Christine

Oh, there are many but let me start with this one: LOTR
When they had been climbing that mountain for 300 pages and they turned back.. I closed the book and I never opened it again.

That's further than i got. i quit about the time Bilbo left.

Heather19
03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Let's see, there's so many. I'm notorious for picking up books, and if I can't get into them right away, I tend to just put them down and never go back.

The Talisman - got over 100 pages in, but hated it, so never finished, and at the moment have no intention of going back.

The Stand - got halfway thru the uncut version and then just never picked it back up. I enjoyed what I read, just not enough to continue I guess. This one I really want to go back to and try to finish. I'm thinking later on this year if I can find the time.

for non-King books:
World War Z - I think I made it about 50 pages into this one before I put it down.

Rand & Snuff both by Chuck Palahniuk. For whatever reason I think I only read the first few chapters of these.

Servants of Twilight - The only Dean Koontz book I've tried to read. Got thru most of it, with only about 30 pages to go, but ended up not finishing it. Now it's been so long, that I'd have to re-read the entire thing.

Those are some that I can think of off the top of my head, but there's many more.

Chap
03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Heather, I've been having some troubles with The Talisman as well (if you check the book list thread you'll see I was reading it ages ago, and I'm still not finished :P )
The good thing is that it gets better after a while. for the first 200 pages or so I fell a sleep after reading just 5, now it takes at least 20, which is an improvement ;)

Also gave up on The Stand twice. (once because it was so freaking huge, and I had more interesting books in line behind it) Tried as audio book later, but the narrator was awful.

Heather19
03-19-2009, 02:31 PM
So have you since finished The Stand? And let me know what you think of The Talisman if you ever get thru that one. I was thinking of reading Black House at some point, but after my experience with Talisman it's kinda making me not want to.

And I don't know if you've read Stardust or not, but I'd recommend picking that one up. That's my favorite Gaiman book so far (although I haven't read too many yet). If you like audiobooks listen to the audio version. He reads it himself, and he is wonderful to listen to.

Chap
03-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Not finished the stand, gave up on the audio book. Haven't finished Stardust either actually, but it was good, I just suddently got my hands on a book I'd been waiting for for ages, so.. yeah ;)
Thanks for the audio book tip though, I've found the narrator is crucial there.

Heather19
03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
So what book are you currently reading?

Chap
03-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Still reading The Talisman :) and enjoying it quite a bit now. If you can get through the first 100-200 pages, I recommend it.

jayson
03-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Heather, you should try Black House and then that might give you the push to try to read The Talisman again. You don't need to have finished The Talisman to "get" Black House, you just might understand some of it a little deeper if you had read it.

Heather19
03-19-2009, 04:36 PM
That's what people have recommended. I'll try to give it a shot at some point.

Chap
04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Finally conquered my arch-nemesis, American Gods :D

I liked it a lot, despite the fact that I struggled with it.
but thanks to my good man George Guidall, I've done it ;)

Lily-sai
04-06-2009, 03:12 AM
Chap, I had problems with American Gods, though I love Neil Gaiman. But eventually finished it, with a great struggle.. =P

Now I'm having problems with Ken Follett's 'World Without End'. My poor Da gave it to me last X-mas and said I'm for sure going to finish it in 24 hours (I'm a fairly fast reader), but.. Here I still am, and I've only read the first 100 pages or so. It's not bad, but somehow I always something more interesting to read. Why, oh why? :P

Chap
04-06-2009, 04:09 AM
I think it was the "coming to America" parts that made me struggle with it. They really broke the flow of the story IMO.
Anyway, finally finished The Talisman as well, took me over 2 months :P

Heather19
04-06-2009, 08:46 AM

And what did you think? How far into the story did you have to get before you were hooked?

Mad Man
04-06-2009, 08:55 AM
I just couldn't finish the book - Lord of the Shadows by Jennifer Fallon... it's the last book from The Second Son's trilogy .... i should try to finish it some day :borg:

fernandito
04-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I got about 400 pages into IT and then put it down , this was almost a year ago. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going back to finish it... :unsure:

Brice
04-06-2009, 09:01 AM
You definitely should.

Heather19
04-06-2009, 09:03 AM
I got about 400 pages into IT and then put it down , this was almost a year ago. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going back to finish it... :unsure:

Yes, please do!

jayson
04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
By all means Feev, go back and finish. I love that book.

Daghain
04-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Ugh, I hated that book. I'm going to do a reread sometime this year, but I don't hold out a lot of hope that my opinion will improve much.

Jean
04-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Ugh, I hated that book. I'm going to do a reread sometime this year, but I don't hold out a lot of hope that my opinion will improve much.
Bears never understood this, and never will.......

The Lady of Shadows
04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
cat's cradle - kurt vonnegut.

i tried i really did. but i could never get it done. actually, it's like that with most of his books. just something about him. . . .

pixiedark76
04-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I keep meaning to read the LOTR Series (since it influenced Stephen King so much) but I start with the Hobbit and I just quit!
I had trouble finishing The Tommy Knockers (I actually cheated and skipped about 20 pages)
I also cheated on Harry Potter Deathly Hollows ( I skipped a lot through the middle)

I know I am totally evil!

jayson
04-06-2009, 06:29 PM

i tried i really did. but i could never get it done. actually, it's like that with most of his books. just something about him. . . .

He has the exact opposite effect on me. Usually by the time I've read two pages I can't put it down.

Chap
04-06-2009, 06:58 PM

And what did you think? How far into the story did you have to get before you were hooked?

I got pretty far into the story before getting hooked.
This probably has something to do with only reading around 5 pages every day (before falling asleep) though. the middle/end of the book was pretty good. overall I'd call it "OK"

sarajean
04-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I also cheated on Harry Potter Deathly Hollows ( I skipped a lot through the middle)

but...that was some of the best stuff in the entire series. :cry:

Jean
04-07-2009, 12:19 AM

bears have the same problem with Vonnegut; Cat's Cradle, though, is the only book of his they've read that they really liked.

The Lady of Shadows
04-07-2009, 05:45 PM
that really pleases me jean. :couple:

Woofer
04-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Lord of the Flies

Jean
04-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Lord of the Flies
Bears love wolves. They hate Lord of the Flies.

divemaster
04-09-2009, 05:51 PM
The only book I ever started and didn't finish was Time Enough for Love by Heinlein. I've enjoyed quite a bit of Heinlein's works (and some others, not so much) but lord this book was a chore. I tried. Got past the "Tale of the Adopted Daughter" story, which was mentioned as a good part. It was ok. Then we got back to the incest and the kiddie-diddling and that was enough of that for me.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-25-2009, 05:04 PM
was going on a booze and ciggerette importing journey to Luxem (about 20 hours) so i thought id take a nice thick fantasy book. Thought i couldn't go wrong with terry brooks, with the reviews he gets. He's even on the cover of some of my fave books giving his opinion.

So i get the Sword of arseing Shannara. I ended up stareing out of the bus window for 19 and a half hours. Terrible. Come to think about it i left it on the bus i think. hope whoever found it didn't try to read it

SigTauGimp
05-25-2009, 07:05 PM
was going on a booze and ciggerette importing journey to Luxem (about 20 hours) so i thought id take a nice thick fantasy book. Thought i couldn't go wrong with terry brooks, with the reviews he gets. He's even on the cover of some of my fave books giving his opinion.

So i get the Sword of arseing Shannara. I ended up stareing out of the bus window for 19 and a half hours. Terrible. Come to think about it i left it on the bus i think. hope whoever found it didn't try to read it

I'm in the same boat with you on that....I've tried to start the Shannara series like 4-5 times, but just can't seem to get into the story.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-25-2009, 07:11 PM
i just re read LoTR and replaced th word ring with sword. so you can pretty much say i have read it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-25-2009, 11:02 PM
It and Lord of the Flies were two of my favorite books.

Only book I have not been able to finish is The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy.

darkrose
05-26-2009, 06:15 AM
lol, am i the only one who has ADD here? ive started more than fifty books or so but coulnt finish them coz i easily get distracted or change my mood or interest at that moment... :wtf:

---------------------------------------------
"...never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh."
— (The Dark Tower)

Heather19
05-26-2009, 02:15 PM
lol, am i the only one who has ADD here? ive started more than fifty books or so but coulnt finish them coz i easily get distracted or change my mood or interest at that moment... :wtf:

nope, you're not alone. I'm notorious for starting books and putting them down. If they don't grab me right away I usually just end up switching over to something else. Sometimes I'll even get a decent way in, and then just put it down for some reason, and move onto something else.

turtlex
05-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I just cannot get through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

I think I've read the first 50 pages about 50 times...

... I don't know what the problem is... even the cover says "The International Best-Selling Novel".

jayson
05-26-2009, 03:02 PM
... I don't know what the problem is... even the cover says "The International Best-Selling Novel".

It just says they bought it, not that they read it. :P

Brice
05-26-2009, 03:06 PM
:lol: Good catch, Jayson! :D

Empath of the White
05-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I went along with it until somewhere in the 100's-200's where the characters were just hanging around Zed's place.

turtlex
05-27-2009, 12:54 AM

It just says they bought it, not that they read it. :P

:lol: Good catch, Jayson! :D

I have suspected this all along.

ManOfWesternesse
05-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I went along with it until somewhere in the 100's-200's where the characters were just hanging around Zed's place.
I actually persevered (against my better instinct) to finish that one, then bought the second book and forced myself to read it - and THEN i gave up!

AcidBumbler
07-05-2009, 11:54 AM
I couldn't finish Twilight - boring, Bella annoys me, too many unnecessary adjectives.. hah.

Hmm.. what else couldn't I finish?
Can't think of any at this exact moment - finishing books is one of those things I tend to feel that I have to do. :pirate:

candy
07-05-2009, 12:12 PM
:clap:

The Stand - got halfway thru the uncut version and then just never picked it back up. I enjoyed what I read, just not enough to continue I guess. This one I really want to go back to and try to finish. I'm thinking later on this year if I can find the time.

:o

Also gave up on The Stand twice. (once because it was so freaking huge, and I had more interesting books in line behind it) Tried as audio book later, but the narrator was awful.
double :o

heather / chap? have you tried again? please try this is my most favourite book in the whole wide world (slightly drunk so prone to dramatisation:beat:)

Lord of the Flies

i never had a choice- i had to read this in high school, i quite liked it but i dont know if i liked it because it was the first time i had ever really discussed a book with other people

i found this in my book collections the other day, i dont even remember buying it??????:beat:

the one book i gave up on 3 times was shardik. i finally picked up it and really enjoyed it (i had to lock myself away like)

right that took ages - time for more beer

Heather19
07-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Sorry Candy, I haven't gone back to it yet. I do plan to though, but it's just so daunting because I know it'll take me forever to read it, and there's so many other books that I have to read so it keeps getting pushed to the bottom of the pile. I still want to try to get to it sometime this year, but we'll see.

AIMB
07-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I couldn't finish Twilight - boring, Bella annoys me, too many unnecessary adjectives.. hah.

Hmm.. what else couldn't I finish?
Can't think of any at this exact moment - finishing books is one of those things I tend to feel that I have to do. :pirate:

GOD. I just tried to read that it was so terrible. It gave me a headache, I can honestly say the worst book I have ever tried to read.

Bella was so dumb and absolutely not special at all. Just because the author says "oh this character is so special" does not make it so. BORING BORING BORING. And then a bad guy thrown in at the very end for no reason? WTH?

ICry4Oy
07-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Danse Macabre by Stephen King
BORING! :)
I think towards the middle, I just started skim-reading. :)

If you made to the middle you made it much farther than I did. I got the paperback when it first came out. I think that was the last of King's books I read until about a year ago when someone turned me on to the tower series. Since then I've read all seven tower books and about a dozen or so others of King's. Still won't go near Danse though.

Daghain
07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I failed at this the first time when it came out in paperback, and MADE myself read it sometime last year.

Check. Not doing that again! :nope:

Empath of the White
07-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, I've borrowed Twilight from a coworker to form my own opinion on the book. Yet I can't bring myself to pick it up. I'm actually enjoying my pulp fantasy binge at the moment.

Ka-mai
07-18-2009, 07:19 PM
I read about the first five pages of Twilight while waiting for a prescription refill, and it reminded me of fanfiction I'd read in high school. :lol:

I can't finish The Disappearance of Childhood by Neil Postman, mostly because I already read Amusing Ourselves to Death. He has a few "pet issues" as my boyfriend calls them that he reapplies to whichever subject he is writing about, so I feel like I'm just rereading AOtD. Some new points that are interesting, but too much rehashing to keep my interest.

Danse Macabre was terrible. A few isolated chapters that were interesting, but not enough to merit rereading that thing.

John Blaze
07-18-2009, 07:54 PM
I read about the first five pages of Twilight while waiting for a prescription refill, and it reminded me of fanfiction I'd read in high school. :lol:

This is so close to what I thought when my sister tried to force me to read it that it's scary.

Also what i think about Gary Paoulini, although I read his first 2 before calling it quits. The third came out already, and my sister called to ask me if I wanted to borrow it.

um, no

scottish_rogue
12-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Lord of the Rings was difficult for me to get through but I finished the story. One book I looked at and put down a few minutes later was "The Silmarillion" by Tolkien...it seemed more like an encyclopedia to me.

Alex
12-08-2009, 03:32 PM
John Ford By Joseph McBride:yawn: and The Stand

cody44
12-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I got about halfway into Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz before I gave up on it. I just wasn't in the mood I guess.

The only other book I've picked up and never finished would be Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. We were supposed to read it in the ninth grade, but my advanced English teacher noticed that many of us were put off by it. We ended up watching the BBC version instead. Anyway, maybe someday I will give Jane Austen another go around, but until then here writing makes me http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-9529.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Brice
12-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Do not get me started on Jane Austen. :rofl:

The Silmarillion is a bit encyclopedic in ways. It is marvelous though. Amd I just recently got a first edition. :dance:

JameseyLefebure
12-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I started the Dark Materials series and managed to read Northern Lights but it was a big struggle and then i just couldn't make it through the second book :( I keep trying to go back and pick it up because i enjoy the story but just can't seem to connect with the book at all.
I also never managed to finish Pet Cemetery - i've tried about 4 times now and just can't bring myself to finish reading it and always seem to give up about half way through.

Brice
12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Make yourself read both. You will be glad you did. :)

Alex
12-08-2009, 04:14 PM
The Silmarillion is a bit encyclopedic in ways. It is marvelous though. Amd I just recently got a first edition. :dance:

You're so lucky!
I've been wanting to read that one for a while now. Still don't have it yet.

Brice
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
You definitely should find one, even if it's just a cheap copy.

cody44
12-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I completely agree with Brice on the Silmarillion. It tends to be a harder read for most, but is worth reading through at least once.

Have you read the Children of Hurin yet Brice?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Only SK book I have ever stopped reading was Rose Madder.

Only other books I have ever quit on were:
The Bear and the Dragon - Tom Clancy
Dark Matter - Garfield Reeves Stephens
Cold Fire - Koontz

I still have all of these books and will one day triumph over them, but not anytime soon.

Brice
12-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I completely agree with Brice on the Silmarillion. It tends to be a harder read for most, but is worth reading through at least once.

Have you read the Children of Hurin yet Brice?

No, I haven't. All I've read is The rings trilogy, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Lord of the Rings was difficult for me to get through but I finished the story. One book I looked at and put down a few minutes later was "The Silmarillion" by Tolkien...it seemed more like an encyclopedia to me.

I couldn't finish Lord of the Rings. I was bored ever since the first book and I gave up a little before I got to the Return of the King. I just couldn't find a reason for finishing it. Great that you did :)

Lily-sai
12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh, a reason to finish it? Simple: a chapter called 'The Field of Cormallen'. It makes me weep. EVERY time. Skip to it? :lol:

12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I can't, I've given those to the local library ages ago and I don't even have enough money to buy Under the Dome at the moment...

JameseyLefebure
12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Only SK book I have ever stopped reading was Rose Madder.

Only other books I have ever quit on were:
The Bear and the Dragon - Tom Clancy
Dark Matter - Garfield Reeves Stephens
Cold Fire - Koontz

I still have all of these books and will one day triumph over them, but not anytime soon.

Rose Madder? Wow - i flew throught that its actually quite hight on my favourite SK books!! I've nver been a fan of tom clancy's!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Just didnt grab me. I will eventually give it another shot, just not while I have other things that I am wanting to read on top of it.

Hmmm....I may not ever actually get to it in that case. May have to just make time at some point.

pinkymcfatfat
12-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I have been trying to finish 'Moby Dick' for over 5 years at this point.

mystima
12-13-2009, 06:24 PM
the LOTR trilogy took me literally one year to read. bought the book that had all three in one. it was so long winded that every time i went back to read it i had to go back a few pages so i could remember where they were in the story. on the other hand it took me one week to finish the whole Narnia series.

Jean
12-14-2009, 12:13 AM
the LOTR trilogy took me literally one year to read. bought the book that had all three in one. it was so long winded that every time i went back to read it i had to go back a few pages so i could remember where they were in the story.
Very much like my own experience.

Myste
12-14-2009, 02:58 AM
It was like that for me too...

JameseyLefebure
12-14-2009, 06:12 AM
the LOTR trilogy took me literally one year to read. bought the book that had all three in one. it was so long winded that every time i went back to read it i had to go back a few pages so i could remember where they were in the story. on the other hand it took me one week to finish the whole Narnia series.

I don't know why but NONE of the LOTR trilogy have appealed to me - in theory it's my ideal series, but i've read i think the first chapter of the first book and just knew that i wouldn't ever finish them so left well alone.

I've been really curious about the Narnia series Mystima - my hubby is a huge fan of the two films (and the BBC adaptaion) but he's not read the books - i was considering getting him them for Xmas, but wasn't sure if they were really kids books or like the Harry Potter's where they are suitable for both?

James
xxx

turtlex
12-14-2009, 06:15 AM
James - The Narnia series is great. Truly. The books aren't horribly long ( ie - sometimes something as long as LOTR looks daunting ) and they're a fun read.

If I were you, I'd give the LOTR books a second chance, though. Part of what I like about them is that they're not a simple read. They're complex books with a lot of characters, and tons of detail, but the stories are just epic and the storytelling, ultimately, is wonderful.

candy
12-14-2009, 09:30 AM
James - The Narnia series is great. Truly. The books aren't horribly long ( ie - sometimes something as long as LOTR looks daunting ) and they're a fun read.

If I were you, I'd give the LOTR books a second chance, though. Part of what I like about them is that they're not a simple read. They're complex books with a lot of characters, and tons of detail, but the stories are just epic and the storytelling, ultimately, is wonderful.

everything she just said:cool:

12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
I have been trying to finish 'Moby Dick' for over 5 years at this point.

Why?

JameseyLefebure
12-14-2009, 02:45 PM

everything she just said:cool:

:pullhair: oooooh you two!!! You know this means i'm going to bloody have to do you! lol.
I'm going to finish the Dark Tower's (nearly finished book 4) then I've got under the dome....maybe after that i'll try the LOTR trilogy. The Narnia's were for the hubby so I think i might get him them as a secret xmas present!

I was planning to read the Mayfair Witches trilogy by Anne Rice.....maybe they can wait :P

Brice
12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
The Mayfair Withes trilogy is really good if you read no furthur than The Witching Hour.

turtlex
12-15-2009, 03:40 AM
The Mayfair Withes trilogy is really good if you read no furthur than The Witching Hour.

This.

Anne Rice, for me, kind of went all willy-nilly for a while.

Honestly, I tend to re-read Interview every now and again, but else...

Brice
12-15-2009, 04:00 AM
I'm of The opinion that the first three vampire books were great and so was the Withcing Hour. Belinda, Exit To Eden, and her Sleeping Beauty trilogy were interesting (although quite graphic) and everything else she's done the world really would have been better without. It's like she started to believe people who told her she was good and it fucked her up.

turtlex
12-15-2009, 04:02 AM
I'm of The opinion that the first three vampire books were great and so was the Withcing Hour. Belinda, Exit To Eden, and her Sleeping Beauty trilogy were interesting (although quite graphic) and everything else she's done the world really would have been better without. It's like she started to believe people who told her she was good and it fucked her up.

This.

:huglove:

Personally, I think Interview is her best work, but truly enjoyed the first three in the Vampire saga.

Brice
12-15-2009, 04:07 AM
I'm of The opinion that the first three vampire books were great and so was the Witching Hour. Belinda, Exit To Eden, and her Sleeping Beauty trilogy were interesting (although quite graphic) and everything else she's done the world really would have been better without. It's like she started to believe people who told her she was good and it fucked her up.

This.

Personally, I think Interview is her best work, but truly enjoyed the first three in the Vampire saga.

I agree interview was the best of those three.

If I were gonna' list my favorites in order it would go:

Interview
Witching Hour
Vampire Lestat
Belinda
Sleeping Beauty trilogy
Queen Of The Damned
Exit To Eden
everything else she's done and likely everything else she's gonna' do

JameseyLefebure
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
You see I've actually read the whole Witches of Mayfair series before, Terry actually got me hooked on it! I absolutely loved them!! But generally I can't stand Anne Rice - I've attempted to read the Interview with the vampire book about 3 times and can't ever get into it (that can go on the list lol) and I tried Violin as well but again couldn't get into it. I'm just not a big fan of Anne Rice's writing style - but i do really enjoy the Witches trilogy, but I know that one of the vampire book's has a few of the characters from the Witches trilogy (I *think* it's Blackwood Farm?) I did however read Anne's son Christopher Rice's first book and thougt it was ok - more of a beach book than a deep read, but still enjoyable :)

idk, my bff jill?
12-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Hunger by Knut Hamsun.
What's weird is that I don't dislike the book at all.
I don't know why, but every time I say I'm going to finish it, something comes up and I forget all about it.

Jean
12-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Hunger by Knut Hamsun.
What's weird is that I don't dislike the book at all.
I don't know why, but every time I say I'm going to finish it, something comes up and I forget all about it.
I clearly remember reading it, but have no idea whatsoever of what happened; so probably you just as well can consider it read, like bears do.

candy
12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
You see I've actually read the whole Witches of Mayfair series before, Terry actually got me hooked on it! I absolutely loved them!! But generally I can't stand Anne Rice - I've attempted to read the Interview with the vampire book about 3 times and can't ever get into it (that can go on the list lol) and I tried Violin as well but again couldn't get into it. I'm just not a big fan of Anne Rice's writing style - but i do really enjoy the Witches trilogy, but I know that one of the vampire book's has a few of the characters from the Witches trilogy (I *think* it's Blackwood Farm?) I did however read Anne's son Christopher Rice's first book and thougt it was ok - more of a beach book than a deep read, but still enjoyable :)

i just read this one and i can't for the life of me remember the name, all i do know is it was rubbish. possibley the worst book i have ever read, and i have read a few turkeys. will get the name and see if its the same one. did it contain, Mona and Rowan - along with lestat?

JameseyLefebure
12-17-2009, 03:36 AM

i just read this one and i can't for the life of me remember the name, all i do know is it was rubbish. possibley the worst book i have ever read, and i have read a few turkeys. will get the name and see if its the same one. did it contain, Mona and Rowan - along with lestat?

That sounds about right to be honest - i've not actually read it - i read the mayfairs and then me n the hubby tried the vampire series and my god I drove me mad!! I even went out and bought them all for Terry as an aniversary present - we both tried Interview With The Vampire - and got no further!! hmm.....maybe it's time to try them again - eventually :) my list of reading to do in 2010 just seems to be growing and growing and growing!!

candy
12-17-2009, 11:36 AM
if you do read it let me know your thoughts, i'd be curious to see if anyone else thinks it was rubbish too.