PDA

View Full Version : What comic book movies should be made?

Seymour_Glass
11-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Post what comics you think should be movies and explain why. And put the ones that shouldn't be movies.

Doom Patrol(the morrison run), could be an awesome movie. I've been thinking about how I would do it for so long that it seems like a no-brainer.

Transmet would make a great movie.

Maybe they could make a Hellblazer movie that doesn't suck.

Arthur Heath
11-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Great thread. I second the Transmet movie, done right. Preacher would be my first vote. I would love to see the hard drinking, Irish vampire, tearing shit up on the big screen. The Killer of Saints too.
I'll tell you what movie should (have been) left alone was The Spirit. The green screen effect works for Sin City, just not working for me as far as The Spirit goes. Will Eisner is rolling in his grave. I suppose Diseny is though also.

flaggwalkstheline
11-29-2008, 04:04 PM
yes a hellblazer movie that didnt COMPLETLEY deviate from the comics would be awesome
Or a film of the dark knight returns or a Green lantern Movie would rock!
I want to see a spiderman film trilogy based on the clonesaga (that could just be me though)
But the comic movie i want to see most is
Evil Ernie
Mwa ha ha ha

fernandito
11-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I think that the Fables series has great potential to be a movie series. Magical creatures, high doses of fantasy - both ancient and contemporary , plots and subplots, it's all there.

flaggwalkstheline
11-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Invincible would be great
and I think I read that it is going to made into a movie since the rights or something are already sold to one of the film companies

Arthur Heath
11-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I want to see a spiderman film trilogy based on the clonesaga (that could just be me though)
Im pretty sure it is. :cyclops: I had to stop reading Spider Man because of the whole Clone Saga debacle.
It would seem that I am the only one who enjoyed Hellblazer.
Y: The Last Man would be a pretty cool movie.
A great website for superhero movies is Superhero Hype! (http://www.superherohype.com/)

flaggwalkstheline
11-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Y would be cool
Constantine was not a bad movie, it just wasnt hellblazer
John Constantine is a blond (his appearance was originally based on sting) English Chainsmoking narcisistic jerk genius, not some mopey catholic played by keanu reeves

fernandito
11-30-2008, 01:58 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the rights to a Y movie have already been bought! Word around the water cooler is that Shia LeBouf would be playing Yorick... :orely:

Seymour_Glass
12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah. Ex Machina was optioned by New Line, too, but I don't think anything will come of that.

New Additions:
An All-Star Superman movie.
Maybe an Animal Man movie, cuz I'm a Morrison junkie. It would need some adjusting of the mediums though.
American Virgin would be a great movie.
Green Arrow/Green Lantern.

Arthur Heath
12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Theres only one thing I could think of worse than a Ex Machina graphic novel. The movie.
The X-Men movie rights should be handed over to Morrison. That would be sweet. Offensive to most of their target market, but that not me, so sweet none the less.

Sam
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
The Boys, Preacher, a Punisher film that gets it right on the money for once (we'll see what War Zone does, but Thomas Jane did pretty good for my money). What else? The Flash, Captain America, a decent Spawn film. I think that Preacher would be a bit too much story, but they could make it a little long.

Empath of the White
12-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I'd like to see a new Fantastic Four series done. I did not like the way Doom was handled. His comic origin sounds pretty original and interesting.

Can we include manga as well, or strictly western stuff?

flaggwalkstheline
12-02-2008, 11:00 AM
theres going to be a dragonball movie
I dont know whether to jump for joy or throw up as a response to that

Empath of the White
12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Fox is handling it. I'd be wrapped around a toilet if I were you.:unsure:

You know how they handle EPIC...clouds lol.:ninja:

I was thinking in terms of manga, Berserk filmed in the style of 300 could be pretty good. Might have to be heavily cut to get it to an R rating though.

flaggwalkstheline
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
vampire hunter D
blue gender
would both make amazing live films

Brainslinger
12-04-2008, 07:05 AM
To quote myself:

I wouldn't mind seeing a decent Judge Dredd film too. One where they keep to the rules of the story (Dredd nearly ALWAYS wears his helmet, and if he doesn't, you never see his full face.), not the camp affair of the Stallone film.

It would appear my wishes are to be granted. It's been green-lit! I hope they keep it closer to the darker comic book version of the character.

As for what I said about Strontium Dog in a previous post... whilst an SD film would be great, on thinking further, I think the bounty hunter things would actually lend better to a series.

Whether British TV could afford it or not is a whole other thing. I guess it could be a UK-US co production, but in those cases American characters and/or actors might get pushed onto us. (If it fits the story fair enough.... but Johnny Alpha himself is English. Sort of...)

flaggwalkstheline
12-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm not really a fan of 2000AD but I actually thought the judge dredd film was kinda cool...
(stalone hollering I AM THE LAW!!! not withstanding of course)

fernandito
12-05-2008, 03:28 AM
The worst part of Judge Dredd was Rob Schneider.

Most annoying comic relief guy EVER.

Brainslinger
12-05-2008, 06:52 AM
I'm not really a fan of 2000AD but I actually thought the judge dredd film was kinda cool...
(stalone hollering I AM THE LAW!!! not withstanding of course)

Stallone looked the part, certainly, but he actually managed to camp Dredd up somewhat. Also the humor wasn't right. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of humor in Dredd strips, but it tends to be rather dark. (Although the bit at the start with Dredd charging a guy for a small offence was spot on.) In short the comic version of Dredd is even more laconic, and meaner than the film version.

Mind you, that might not translate well to a role that Stallone would want to do. The thing is, Dredd isn't a superhero. (Although he does have heroic qualities.) He is a fascist enforcer who acts as judge, jury and executioner. It's a beneficent form of fascism, but it's fascism nonetheless.

It wasn't all bad, but it could have been a lot better. Oh, and Rico was Dredd's clone brother. They should look identical.

Oh, and his repeated catchphrase- "I knew you'd say that!" Dredd doesn't say that.

Arthur Heath
12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
The worst part of Judge Dredd was Rob Schneider.

Most annoying comic relief guy EVER.

It may not be a comic turned film, but Chris Tucker in Fifth Element was unbearable.

fernandito
12-08-2008, 06:53 PM
I think that was the intention though, he was supposed to be overly annoying, and he did a damn good job of it too.

The thing with Schneider is that he was supposed to be funny, but his acting and "jokes" are the equivalent of nails on a chalk board.

flaggwalkstheline
12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
chris tuckers ru paul spoof in the fifth element was hilarious, i love that movie

Seymour_Glass
01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
The Doom Patrol movie should be directed by David Fincher, with Brad Pitt as Cliff, Cate Blanchet as Crazy Jane, and Ed Norton as Rebis. I've been doing way too much thinking about that.

The Cosmic Geek
01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Box Office Poison would make a great film, or even HBO series. It would catch the audience of both Entourage and fans of shows like How I Met Your Mother.

Also Strangers in Paradise would make a great film, but better ongoing series.

Emily
01-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Preacher also has my first vote, but I agree that it's too much story for a movie, I'd rather it be a series. Besides that, I've been hoping for a Green Lantern (Hal Jordan only.) since the comic movie craze started.

If The Sandman ever gets made into a movie or the like, I will literally light myself on fire. Or move to some remote place in the world where I couldn't get even a whiff of what it would be like. I just don't think it could ever be done justice, and I never want to see it attempted.

flaggwalkstheline
01-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Iwant an x men movie based on the age of apocalypse

cozener
02-07-2009, 02:59 PM
I can't think of one comic that wouldn't be cool to see on film. Its like comics are destined to be made into movies.

Edit: Actually, I wouldn't care to see Rex Morgan MD as a movie...

Seymour_Glass
02-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't think Flex Mentallo would work as a movie.

flaggwalkstheline
02-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I just saw superman: doomsday and I gotta say that A superman: doomsday animated film that actually followed the story with the eradicator and kon-el and steel and mettallo and the whole justice league would be nice instead of the pile of flaming crap they made out of the death and return of superman:arg:

Seymour_Glass
02-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Did you see the New Frontier? I liked that one.

wolverine0712
02-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Deadpool starring Ryan Reynolds. We'll get a glimpse in Wolverine, but I want a full movie.

EdwardDean1999
02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Deadpool starring Ryan Reynolds. We'll get a glimpse in Wolverine, but I want a full movie.

I don't think I could sit through two hours of Deadpool's dialogue.

Arthur Heath
02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Preacher would be my ideal Graphic Novel made movie. Though it would have to be rated R to be pulled off correctly.

wolverine0712
02-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I love the dialogue in Deadpool. It's a nice blend of comedy and action.

I couldn't imagine Preacher as anything other than Rated R, and I've barely read any of it.

fernandito
02-12-2009, 01:09 PM

I don't think I could sit through two hours of Deadpool's dialogue.

I could, but I don't think I could sit through two hours of Ryan Reynolds :lol:

Seymour_Glass
02-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Preacher would be my ideal Graphic Novel made movie. Though it would have to be rated R to be pulled off correctly.

Did you hear that Sam Mendes wants to direct it? He's waiting on a script, but then things are looking to go.

EdwardDean1999
02-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I could, but I don't think I could sit through two hours of Ryan Reynolds :lol:

Yargh! :pirate:

Ryan Reynolds = plays Van Wilder in every movie = http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/dragonunlimited/Emoticons/poop.gif

EdwardDean1999
02-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I can't wait for Watchmen. It makes me mad that people will watch it and say, "Banned superheroes? THey stole that from 'The Incredibles'!" Completely unawares that The Watchmen came out like 20 years ago. It makes my nerd blood boil!
http://blogs.columbiatribune.com/gameover/21700E~The-Incredible-Hulk-Posters.jpg

The Cosmic Geek
02-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I can't wait for Watchen too!

Have you see the trailer for the Black Freighter DVD?

Seymour_Glass
02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I had a horrible dream where Tim Burton directed a Doom Patrol movie! Agghhh!
:panic: