Misery
Viking, 1987

Bracket #5

Voting for this Book is Closed

Final Average Score:

Misery will not advance to Round 2

John_and_Yoko
11-27-2008, 07:19 PM
SOOOOOOOOO wanted to vote on this one--the movie scared the HECK out of me....

:scared:

*runs from the crazy lady*

But since I've only seen the movie, I had to vote "Never Read".... :(

gsvec
11-27-2008, 07:21 PM
I think it's time you found a used paperback or something and read this one!

John_and_Yoko
11-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I think it's time you found a used paperback or something and read this one!

I actually HAVE the book. The reason I haven't read it is because I've been preoccupied with so many OTHER Stephen King books....

And I WANT to read it--not just because of the movie's effect on me, but because I've seen it mentioned now in TWO other books I've read....

Brice
Ummm....yeah! You've got a lot of SK books you should be reading NOW. :lol:

razz
i didn't enjoy this book.

John_and_Yoko
11-27-2008, 07:23 PM

Ummm....yeah! I've got a lot of SK books I AM reading now. :P

Brice
11-27-2008, 07:24 PM
i didn't enjoy this book.

*brings in the axe and arc torch* :evil:

gsvec
11-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Wow - this one's all over the board right now. 5, 4, 3, 2, never read all have 1!!

razz
yes, because choppign my arm off will make me like Misery.

Brice

Well...hurry the hell up so you can vote properly in the next round. :D

Brice
11-27-2008, 07:27 PM
yes, because choppign my arm off will make me like Misery.

No...it is punishment for NOT liking Misery. :lol:

John_and_Yoko
11-27-2008, 07:28 PM

I'm not Superman, you know, it does take me some time.... :P

Trust me, I DO want to vote properly--and in some cases I now WILL be able to vote properly in upcoming rounds where I wouldn't have been able to before....

Bear in mind, this is my very FIRST Stephen King year EVER. Other than The Shining I've only been reading DT-related stuff, but I do have several more of his books on the shelf, and I wouldn't have bought them if I hadn't intended to read them at some point....

Brice
11-27-2008, 07:31 PM

I'm not Superman, you know, it does take me some time.... :P

Trust me, I DO want to vote properly--and in some cases I now WILL be able to vote properly in upcoming rounds where I wouldn't have been able to before....

Bear in mind, this is my very FIRST Stephen King year EVER. Other than The Shining I've only been reading DT-related stuff, but I do have several more of his books on the shelf, and I wouldn't have bought them if I hadn't intended to read them at some point....

Well, ain't you got a job or school you could quit to devote more time to reading? And do you REALLY need sleep?

Brice
11-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow - this one's all over the board right now. 5, 4, 3, 2, never read all have 1!!

Yeah, it really is.

mae
11-27-2008, 07:45 PM
What can I say, it's a true classic. This is a tough bracket. Some very, very good books will be left behind. So, everybody, vote!

sarah
11-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Liked it. It wasn't the best King story but still a good book when it was all said and done.

LadyHitchhiker
11-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Looooooooooooooooooooooooved it... :huglove:

Sam
11-27-2008, 09:35 PM
This is one of the most painful rides I was ever taken on. There is a damn good reason it made such a good movie. The plot is simple enough for Hollywood to work with. Guy gets hurt, guy is rescued by girl, guy gets tortured by girl who turns out to be a raving lunatic. BUT, at least she doesn't have a potty mouth.

John_and_Yoko
11-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, ain't you got a job or school you could quit to devote more time to reading? And do you REALLY need sleep?

Actually, I don't have a job, and my only schooling is one class a week. And I actually DO need sleep, thank you very much.... :P

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-27-2008, 09:59 PM
5. This is one of the few that I read all in one sitting. Literally could not put it down. Even after seeing the movie and knowing what was going to happen. Wish I had been able to read the book before seeing the movie. Though I thought the movie was one of the better adaptations of King's works. Kathy Bates was a perfect Anne Wilkes. James Caan wasnt a bad Paul Sheldon either.

I must say that the Hobbling scene was much better in the book

John_and_Yoko
11-27-2008, 10:05 PM
The only reason I'm worried about reading the book is that my heart was STILL palpitating even after the movie was OVER--it took me several minutes to get over it....

That usually NEVER happens....

Was kind of reminded of Wait Until Dark, actually....

gsvec
11-27-2008, 10:20 PM
The only reason I'm worried about reading the book is that my heart was STILL palpitating even after the movie was OVER--it took me several minutes to get over it....

OMG...Wait Until Dark scared the CRAP outta me! Saw it in the theater around 6th or 7th grade and have never forgotten it. So I can related big big to you with Misery now, J&Y

John_and_Yoko
11-27-2008, 10:35 PM

OMG...Wait Until Dark scared the CRAP outta me! Saw it in the theater around 6th or 7th grade and have never forgotten it. So I can related big big to you with Misery now, J&Y

MORE so, I'd say--I saw Wait Until Dark, but not in a THEATER....

:scared:

I already have nightmares every night without that....

Jean
11-27-2008, 11:56 PM
One of my favorites ever.

turtlex
11-28-2008, 03:21 AM
I've never read about what Sai King based this book on, but I was talking to my friend about this title the other day and she replied "oh, you so know he had a nightmare about that!".

ManOfWesternesse
11-28-2008, 03:45 AM
I gave this a '4'. Pretty good book.

Daghain
11-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Another 5 for me. I read this in one sitting and it freaked me right the hell out. It was awesome!

Melike
11-28-2008, 09:39 AM

The Lady of Shadows
11-28-2008, 08:12 PM
absolutely one of the greatest pieces of fiction ever created. and it's so fucking scary because you can completely see it happening. poor, poor paul sheldon. and you know, part of me really felt for annie wilkes cause that bitch was just gone. M-O-O-N that spells gone.

alinda
11-29-2008, 01:06 AM
another 4 ( I'm saving my 5's for right now) but this was a really good I liked it!! 4 3/4?

Darkthoughts
11-29-2008, 05:03 AM
I can't vote on this one at the moment, because it was so long ago that I read it, I don't remember how much or little I enjoyed it.

Jean
11-29-2008, 06:56 AM
I can't vote on this one at the moment, because it was so long ago that I read it, I don't remember how much or little I enjoyed it.
Very much.

Bears guarantee.

Brice
11-29-2008, 06:57 AM
ditto the bears guarantee.

Heather19
11-29-2008, 09:29 AM
For now I'll have to mark this one as unread, however I do plan to read it in the near future.

jayson
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Loved it. Not the kind of King I read and re-read and re-read, but I've read it twice and loved it both times.

B Rag
12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I gave it a 4, though now that I think about it, I should've said 3. I really didn't like book-within-a-book parts at all.

Jean
12-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I really didn't like book-within-a-book parts at all.
That's the only thing about Misery I wasn't very happy about, either, and one of the main reasons why Misery is about to be supplanted by Duma Key in my Top Five.

mae
12-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Hm I liked that part, actually, with all its handwritten Ns.