PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Goes to the Movies - Sub Press unsigned limited hardcover

Cutter
11-25-2008, 08:57 AM
We might be getting a new Limited Edition book, but who knows as the info is scarce at this point. But this is on the Sub Press web site:

New Book Announcements Coming Soon — Stephen King, George R. R. Martin, Neal Stephenson, and More!

November 25, 2008

Just a quick note that we now have contracts in hand for a number of huge projects in hand, and in the coming weeks we’ll be announcing brand new titles by Stephen King, George R. R. Martin, Neal Stephenson, and quite possibly a surprise or two that will shock everyone.

To stay abreast of everything, please sign up for our mailing list — on the right hand side of this page. Some of these books are certain to disappear quickly.

My only complaint is that it'll be expensive if they go the same route as the Green Mile.

Ari_Racing
11-25-2008, 12:23 PM
No more money, so...

tippy4
11-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I would really like to see a new novel as a limited edition.

Seems like lately all we are getting is anthologies, reprints, and books that have been out for years.

Rahfa
11-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Agree with Tippy 100 percent...I'd be excited for a Duma Key s/l, but if it's going to be going to the well one more time for an anthology or something, I'm all set with that...

herbertwest
11-25-2008, 04:20 PM
It cant be the Mortality novella as havent been sold (according to Mrs Mod..)

jhanic
11-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Food for thought--2009 is the tenth anniversary of:

Storm of the Century
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Hearts in Atlantis
The New Lieutenant's Rap

John

Sam
11-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Remember that The New Lieutentant's Rap has never been published beyond the original offering. THAT would be a major coup for Subterranean.

Nerak
11-25-2008, 06:31 PM
NLR
NLR
NLR
NLR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be sa weet!!!!

Rahfa
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Meh....All NLR is is the original Hearts of Atlantis chapter...there's no point to that as another limited at all.

Maybe Hearts of Atlantis, though.

Look, who are we kidding...it's an anthology, with one King song from 20 years ago, and a $400 price for one of 2000 copies.....pass....

jhanic
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
The rewrite of New Lieutenant's Rap in Hearts in Atlantis is VERY different from that of the chapbook. It wouldn't really surprise me too much (and remember, this is pure speculation on my part) that Hearts in Atlantis AND New Lieutenant's Rap would be reprinted in the same volume. That would be worth having!

John

wizardsrainbow
11-25-2008, 07:02 PM
The rewrite of New Lieutenant's Rap in Hearts in Atlantis is VERY different from that of the chapbook. It wouldn't really surprise me too much (and remember, this is pure speculation on my part) that Hearts in Atlantis AND New Lieutenant's Rap would be reprinted in the same volume. That would be worth having!

John

Such a book would bring down the price of an original NLR IMO.

Sam
11-25-2008, 09:44 PM
That very well might happen, but right now the only people who are interested, ie able to purchase, are the super collectors like yourself Dave. Those who know the story behind NLR are interested in the chapbook. Regardless of if it were to be reprinted, I am certain it would not have that much of an impact. Chiefly because of the scarcity of the printing of the chapbook and the fact that it is King's handwriting NLR is written in. If Subterranean, or anyone else (Grant maybe *cough*), were to reprint, it would not likely be in his handwriting. There still is a very rare and desireable collectible. I don't feel it would lose value since anyone who is after it and can afford it knows the rarity of it and knows what they are getting. Just my opinion mind you.

Cutter
11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Actually I didn't look closely enough at this part:

n the coming weeks we’ll be announcing brand new titles by Stephen King

When Sub Press states its a brand new title it usually means its a new book.

turtlex
11-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Any guesses on what prices will be like?

jhanic
11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Given Subterranean's pricing for their edition of The Green Mile, probably pretty high.

John

e_taylor
11-26-2008, 10:11 AM
If its not a brand new book, I'd love to see Hearts in Atlantis, Everything's Eventual or It.

Both because they're great books, and they are the only three officially Dark Tower related that don't have a S/L.

Sam
11-26-2008, 11:23 AM
The prices for The Green Mile also included multiple bindings and that drove the price up since it was comprised of six seperate volumes. From what I see of their other titles, they are reasonably priced in relation to other publishers of limited editions by those sae authors. The issue here is that we all know that Stephen King's name itself WILL sell the book regardless of cost. We, the fans and collectors, have shown this by buying items like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon Pop-up S/L. Figure on at least $200-300 for the book at a minimum.

As for if the book will be a truly new and fresh book, we shall just have to wait and see.

jhanic
11-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Good point, Sam.

John

Sam
11-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I, for one, would like to see a King S/L sold for a much more reasonable price and also sold with a hefty limit on how many each person could buy (like one, maybe two per person, per address sorry folks but there are just too many who buy just to hike the price up and resell on ebay.)

Brice
11-26-2008, 11:29 AM
I, for one, would like to see a King S/L sold for a much more reasonable price and also sold with a hefty limit on how many each person could buy (like one, maybe two per person, per address sorry folks but there are just too many who buy just to hike the price up and resell on ebay.)

Someone doing that though can just as easily have friends order for them though, can't they?

Ben Mears
11-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Sword In The Darkness!!

herbertwest
11-26-2008, 03:01 PM
simply Under the dome perhaps?

subpress
11-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey all,

Can tell you this. It'll be the only hardcover of this particular book -- at least so far -- limited to 2000 unsigned copies, priced $75, with a bunch of full color interior plates.

More info will be posted to the SubPress site soon.

Best,

Bill
www.subterraneanpress.com

jhanic
11-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the hint, Bill. Now you've got us all REALLY wondering!

John

Rahfa
11-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Nice...this is something to speculate about!

NLR is a possibility, though unlikely since it's so short, and wouldn't make much sense as a hardcover...plus, full color plates? I don't see it.

The Mist? Could def. be done as a standalone hardcover, but since it was just anthologized in Dark Forces it doesn't make sense, plus technically it has been in hard cover anyway...

Of course, I'm assuming it's been previously published in some form, which is not mentioned in that note...So it could be a completely new novella.

Or...Could it be the complete six-chapters of The Plant???

Sam
11-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Now were talking. Thanks for the info so far Bill.

tippy4
11-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey all,

Can tell you this. It'll be the only hardcover of this particular book -- at least so far -- limited to 2000 unsigned copies, priced $75, with a bunch of full color interior plates.

More info will be posted to the SubPress site soon.

Best,

Bill
www.subterraneanpress.com

Am I reading this right that there will only be one version of this "mystery book", and that it will not be signed (so far)?

If that is the case, I am oddly glad. I am tapped-out after my order to Grant (and my orders to Cemetery Dance and Gauntlet Press). :panic:

gsvec
11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
So, Bill - ya snuck in here, made one post, and left us all wondering? :panic:

Please come back when you can give us more dirt!

pickle
11-27-2008, 02:59 PM
This is intresting, cant wait for more news

jhanic
11-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Creepshow??

John

Fsmdr
11-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Six Stories?

Room 217 Caretaker
11-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Creepshow??

John

Hmmmmmm:orely: Creepshow but with Pinfall included :)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

DanishCollector
11-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Or The Plant? Nightmares in the Sky?

batsker
11-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Any chance of one of the Bachman books? With it being unsigned, it solves the problem of how to do the sig. Maybe Long Walk (or although not likely, Rage would be awesome).:evil:

Ari_Racing
11-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Nightmares in the sky is a hardcover book, so is Six stories.

Could be The Plant, Storm of the century also (but there's one hardcover edition of it)

Rose red?

gsvec
11-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Bachman Books is already in hardcover, too.

Ari, there's a hardback of Six Stories?

jhanic
11-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Six Stories was only issued as a trade paperback. All the stories within, however, have been reprinted in hardcover anthologies.

John

batsker
11-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Thought for the Bachman stories it would be the first time individually as a HB.

gsvec
11-27-2008, 06:48 PM
You're right about Six Stories, John. I also think SK might not go for doing a hardback of the limited paperback since it was HIS press that did the original.

And batsker, are you talking something like the way the limited of Green Mile was done - individual books in a slipcase? If so, that has some merit although SK said he would never allow Rage to be redone which would leave a hole, IMO.

e_taylor
11-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Bill didn't specifically say it was a reprint, just that there is no hard cover yet.

So my guess is either:

- The Plant
- A novella, new or old (although probably new)
- An all new book

gsvec
11-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Has any announcement been made on who's publishing Under The Dome?

ETA: Never mind - I just found out it's Scribner.

Brice
11-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Has any announcement been made on who's publishing Under The Dome?

No..not at all.

Clacke
11-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Perhaps the novella Mortality has been sold after all........?

herbertwest
11-28-2008, 03:36 AM
Creepshow??

John

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Pinfall have been written by Romero if i aint wrong

Brice
11-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Creepshow??

John

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Pinfall have been written by Romero if i aint wrong

You ain't wrong. :)

DanishCollector
11-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Yup, Pinfall was never a real story, but an outline by King for Romero to script into Creepshow 2 (although never filmed). Shame!

mae
11-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Interesting. I'm in if it's something original and unavailable in hardcover.

mae
11-28-2008, 08:19 AM
The Plant I don't see, it's unfinished. I think one of these days King will get back to it.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-28-2008, 08:36 AM
I know Bag of Bones was released in HC but how about?

10th-anniversary BAG OF BONES features bonus text from Stephen King

If I remember correctly, It was only available as a Trade Paperback with the bonus text added. :doh: No wait....maybe that was available. Can't remember.

Bill really has us thinking.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
11-28-2008, 09:01 AM
I know Bag of Bones was released in HC but how about?

10th-anniversary BAG OF BONES features bonus text from Stephen King

If I remember correctly, It was only available as a Trade Paperback with the bonus text added. :doh: No wait....maybe that was available. Can't remember.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Bonus text? :unsure: What edition was this cause I think I missed it.

jhanic
11-28-2008, 09:07 AM
There was no bonus text. It contained "The Cat From Hell" as the add-on, in addition to an introduction by King.

John

Brice
11-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh, ok. I have seen that.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-28-2008, 11:11 AM
There was no bonus text. It contained "The Cat From Hell" as the add-on, in addition to an introduction by King.

John

I consider the interview with King bonus text. JMO

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
11-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Thinking or wildly speculating?:orely:

Sam
11-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I think it's pretty safe to call it wildly speculating.

Cloysterpete
11-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I'll go with Stephen King Goes To The Movies seeing as it doesn't have a hardcover and you've guessed everything else we've heard about :nana:.

Bev Vincent
11-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Good guess!

Cloysterpete
11-28-2008, 02:55 PM
...it kinda makes sense, people may well pass on a S/L King non-fiction piece, but release it as a $75 limited gift edition thingy then people like me will think about getting that rather than the cheaper pb.

Regards King Goes To The Movies it took me a while to work out what the heck it was, the cover on the UK edition makes it seem like it includes all the stories listed on the cover, it doesn't make it clear than it's King's thoughts on the movies of those stories.

Sam
11-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Sounds like Bev may have the inside track. Can you add any more of your knowledge to the speculatory discussion?

Randall Flagg
11-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I'll go with Stephen King Goes To The Movies seeing as it doesn't have a hardcover and you've guessed everything else we've heard about :nana:.

Good guess!

Sounds like Bev may have the inside track. Can you add any more of your knowledge to the speculatory discussion?

Despite Bev not using an emoticon, my gut tells me that by saying "good guess", he meant it was a good guess, not the correct guess. Hopefully I will be proven wrong (I hope so,as King Goes to the Movies is less than thrilling as a "New Book")

Bev Vincent
11-28-2008, 06:10 PM
I meant exactly that -- it's the best guess I've heard yet, and it makes sense with the timing of the release. I haven't had a chance to ask anyone what this is--but I wouldn't like to steal Bill's thunder by jumping the gun on his announcement in any case.

herbertwest
11-29-2008, 03:43 AM
Regards King Goes To The Movies it took me a while to work out what the heck it was, the cover on the UK edition makes it seem like it includes all the stories listed on the cover, it doesn't make it clear than it's King's thoughts on the movies of those stories.

well, there will be both :
all the novella/ short stories that are on the covers, PLUS introductions PLUS new commentaries on each of them...

Clacke
11-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Cloysterpete was right! Up on the Subpress site:

Announcing STEPHEN KING GOES TO THE MOVIES
November 29, 2008

We’re pleased to announce the exclusive hardcover of Stephen King’s new collection, due early in 2009, in which the #1 bestselling author reflects on the filming of five of his most popular short stories. Those movies are The Shawshank Redemption, 1408, Children of the Corn, The Mangler, and Hearts in Atlantis.

Stephen King Goes to the Movies includes an introduction, his personal commentary, and behind-the-scenes insights by Stephen.

The Subterranean Press edition of Stephen King Goes to the Movies is — so far — the only hardcover edition scheduled, and features full-color movie poster illustrations — one for each story — by Vincent Chong.

Our edition will also be smythe-sewn, printed in two colors throughout on 80# Finch paper, making it a perfect volume for your permanent shelf of favorite books.

Limited: 2000 unsigned hardcover copies: $75

jhanic
11-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks for posting that! I guess I was WAY off!

John

e_taylor
11-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Thoughts on what this will be worth on the secondary market in six months?

I think it will go down in value, as its not a new story or anything... but what do the experts think?

Should we all just buy it now?

jhanic
11-29-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm holding off. With 2000 copies being printed and not signed, I don't think it'll go down too much, but it will be available for a while.

John

Cutter
11-29-2008, 07:12 AM
This makes sense, as it is an unsigned edition. Plus I was disappointed that there was only a paperback of this announced, and I was interested because this is new King text, just non-fiction. I'll buy it.

Cutter
11-29-2008, 07:14 AM
I'm holding off. With 2000 copies being printed and not signed, I don't think it'll go down too much, but it will be available for a while.

John
Agreed, since this is a non-fiction title, and it is not signed, there will be copies around for a while. I don't see a mad rush of interest (although I'm interested).

Cloysterpete
11-29-2008, 07:21 AM
So can anyone confirm this is 'just' King words on the filming on these short stories?, or is it like herbert said in that it also includes the short stories themselves?.

I'm confusing myself again aren't I :pullhair:

Cutter
11-29-2008, 08:20 AM
It's hard to say, but it seems like it's the short stories too.

here's the description from Scribners

Stephen King revisits five of his favorite short stories that have been turned into films: The Shawshank Redemption (based on the novella "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption") was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture and best actor for Morgan Freeman. 1408 starred John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson and was a huge box office success in 2007. The short story "Children of the Corn" was adapted into the popular Children of the Corn. The Mangler was inspired by King's loathing for laundry machines from his own experience working in a laundromat. Hearts in Atlantis (based on "Low Men in Yellow Coats," the first part of the novel Hearts in Atlantis) starred Anthony Hopkins.

This collection features new commentary and introductions to all of these stories in a treasure-trove of movie trivia.

also gathered this somewhere else

According to Scribner, Stephen King provides new commentary and introductions to 5 of his favorite short stories that have been turned into films. The 400 page paperback book will be released on January 27, 2009.

Bev Vincent
11-29-2008, 08:22 AM
I do not believe the text of the stories is included. Given the lengths of The Mist, Low Men in Yellow Coats and Shawshank, it's hard to imagine there would be room for anything else in the announced page count for the paperback edition. I could be wrong, and the descriptions thus far have been sufficiently vague for it to go either way.

mae
11-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Bev, I doubt it's 400 pages of King commentary. And they do mention the word "introductions". If I were to guess I'd say these new pieces won't amount to much more than Sunset Notes, pretty much.

Bev Vincent
11-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Scribner is now showing a page count of 640 pages for the mmpb version, so I guess the stories are likely included.

Randall Flagg
11-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I am having a hard time getting excited about this.

gsvec
11-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Right there with ya, Jerome. I wish it'd been some new fiction!

jhanic
11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Same here. If the stories ARE included, I'll probably be getting a copy. Otherwise, I'm not sure (I'm not the biggest King movie fan, believe me!).

I wonder if there will be a proof? :excited:

John

gsvec
11-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Get your nudge in to Bill now, John! :lol: And ask for 2!! :couple:

Patrick
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Hmmm. Like Jerome, I'm having a hard time getting excited about this. I do like Sub Press, though, so once people start posting photos of the actual book, I may jump in and buy.

Ari_Racing
12-01-2008, 07:09 AM
I'll probably do the same...only purchase it (if it's still available) once I see it here and decide I like it.

wizardsrainbow
12-01-2008, 07:25 AM
I am having a hard time getting excited about this.

Not stepping up on this one. Just don't need to own it all anymore.

Dr. Dawg
12-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I'll be passing on this one as well, I've got too much tied up with books coming out in the next year (hopefully).

pickle
12-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I may get it in a First edition, but i aint got the money to be spending on L/E or C/E's.

mae
12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I'll just check out the King intros at a Barnes & Noble. Can't be very lengthy.

Clacke
12-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Well, here's an addition the STEPHEN KING GOES TO THE MOVIES book on the Subpress website. Probably hoping to entice more people to buy the book:

Special Update, December 8:

Stephen King has granted readers the chance to be “extras” in their favorite novel or short story, filmed or not. Ever wanted to be listed as an attendee at Carrie’s prom, or listed as one of the many who met their fate with a strong case of Captain Trips in The Stand? Here’s your chance.

When you order Stephen King Goes to the Movies, you can list yourself as an extra in any published short story or novel, filmed or not. To take advantage of this chance to be listed in a special section at the back of Stephen King Goes to the Movies, just include the title of the movie or story you’d like to appear in in the comments section when checking out. We’ll take it from there.

Important note for PayPal users, or those who’ve already ordered the book: Please drop us an email to “subpress@gmail.com” listing your movie preference, and we’ll set your name into the proper movie.

We did something similar for those who ordered copies of Mr. King’s The Green Mile, and it proved our most popular promotion ever. As Stephen King Goes to the Movies is, at $75, only half the price of The Green Mile, we expect sales this time around to be even more brisk, so please get your order in soon.

Me? I can’t decide between being one of Pennywise’s victims, or meeting my fate in Wolves of the Calla.

wizardsrainbow
12-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Well, here's an addition the STEPHEN KING GOES TO THE MOVIES book on the Subpress website. Probably hoping to entice more people to buy the book:

Special Update, December 8:

Stephen King has granted readers the chance to be “extras” in their favorite novel or short story, filmed or not. Ever wanted to be listed as an attendee at Carrie’s prom, or listed as one of the many who met their fate with a strong case of Captain Trips in The Stand? Here’s your chance.

When you order Stephen King Goes to the Movies, you can list yourself as an extra in any published short story or novel, filmed or not. To take advantage of this chance to be listed in a special section at the back of Stephen King Goes to the Movies, just include the title of the movie or story you’d like to appear in in the comments section when checking out. We’ll take it from there.

Important note for PayPal users, or those who’ve already ordered the book: Please drop us an email to “subpress@gmail.com” listing your movie preference, and we’ll set your name into the proper movie.

We did something similar for those who ordered copies of Mr. King’s The Green Mile, and it proved our most popular promotion ever. As Stephen King Goes to the Movies is, at $75, only half the price of The Green Mile, we expect sales this time around to be even more brisk, so please get your order in soon.

Me? I can’t decide between being one of Pennywise’s victims, or meeting my fate in Wolves of the Calla.

Thanks Clacke. I saw that in my in-box this morning, and it was enough to tip the scale for me to order the book.

turtlex
12-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Oh, now that's tempting.
I could be killed by Roland at Tull .... :shoot:

Clacke
12-08-2008, 05:44 AM
The more I think about what to choose, the harder it gets. So many choices! :panic:

Brice
12-08-2008, 05:56 AM
You could buy multiple copies just to die in multiple ways and books. :lol:

wizardsrainbow
12-08-2008, 06:11 AM
You could buy multiple copies just to die in multiple ways and books. :lol:

What a great idea!

jhanic
12-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I'll probably get a copy now.

(Isn't it terrible what we do to get our names in a King or King-related book??)

John

pickle
12-08-2008, 06:53 AM
I would like to be killed by Oy in the tunnels under Lud. Or by Falgg in Eyes of the Dragon. Or even by the Gypsy in Thinner.

e_taylor
12-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Is having your name added and into which story part of the checkout process, or is there a separate hoop to jump through?

Still on the fence.... but like everyone else, I'm now leaning towards grabbing one. Damn vanity....:pullhair:

EDIT: I opened my eyes and now see! Thanks anyways though!

pickle
12-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Yes as far as i can tell its part of the checkout process.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Still wont buy it.

carlosdetweiller
12-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Still wont buy it.

Agreed. Presales must have been absolutely abysmal for them to have resorted to this cheesy gimmick.

lophophoras
12-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Still wont buy it.

Agreed. Presales must have been absolutely abysmal for them to have resorted to this cheesy gimmick.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Still don't think I am going to buy in, would be completely different if it contained a new story.

Cloysterpete
12-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I was planning on getting it but when I realised it'll be $75 plus maybe $30 shipping to the UK and with the pound being so terrible against the $ at the moment then I think i'll make do with the paperback.

I've ordered He Is Legend though, really looking forward to that one as aside from Throttle it looks to have some other (potentially) good stories.

Matt
12-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Holy crap! I may have to buy this.

Cheesy gimmicks get me every time :lol:

Randall Flagg
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Still not going to bite. Perhaps they should also consider cutting the price in half.

mae
12-08-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't even see the point of this book (limited or trade).

Ari_Racing
12-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Well..I didn't buy the Green Mile one...

I think I might step into this one.

Rahfa
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
How did they do the Green Mile list? Was it a list at the end of the book of all those "exexcuted" in the prison?

Room 217 Caretaker
12-08-2008, 04:27 PM
How did they do the Green Mile list? Was it a list at the end of the book of all those "exexcuted" in the prison?

Yes. In the back of book six. The section is called "Those Who Walked The Green Mile"

I'm on page 114

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

e_taylor
12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, I gave in for this one. Although, I agree whole heartedly that this is no more than a gimmick to boost sales, I think its a pretty cool one.

I'm going to be another cop lost to the Roadmaster in "From a Buick 8" (one of my favourites, and a very underrated novel IMO), if anyone wants to be my "colleague", I'd be honoured to "work" with someone from this forum!

Ari_Racing
12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
But sorry...don't you have to be someone from the King movies?
or can it be in a book?

Randall Flagg
12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
From Sub press site:

When you order Stephen King Goes to the Movies (http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=king02&Category_Code=PRE&Product_Count=15), you can list yourself as an extra in any published short story or novel, filmed or not.

DanishCollector
12-09-2008, 01:29 AM
I would like to be Annie Wilkes's axe. Heh-Heh!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-09-2008, 01:39 AM
You don't get to chose anything other than which title you want to be in.

Ari_Racing
12-09-2008, 04:19 AM
Mmmm.

I'll choose between IT and The Dark Tower.

swintek
12-09-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't even see the point of this book (limited or trade).

Now, that I agree with. It just doesn't sound that interesting in concept. I dunno...:unsure:

Cutter
12-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I actually had the trade paperback pre-ordered for a while, so I was interested in what King had to say about some movies, and it will be new essays by King. So I was already interested.

But I agree this isn't an essential purchase, and as far as I know this will be the first collection by King that is previously collected material. Other authors do this all the time, Neil Gaiman come to mind immediately, with tales like the Troll Bridge being reprinted in 3 collections. So this is an oddity by King as he hasn't done this before.

The reason why I'm getting it is really because it will be a beautiful book. Sub Press uses two colors in their printing now, and their books have been gradually getting better in production values. Really I just want another shiny new book to put on the shelves. The new essays is just bonus.

DanishCollector
12-11-2008, 07:26 AM
The Secretary of Dreams are also before-published tales, although as comics and graphic format.

herbertwest
12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Can someone please tell me if i understood well?

At the end of the book, there will be a list of the names... and the name will be by a name of a character of a book/ movie... Right? And we can choose which movie/ story we'd like to be mentionned.. Is that it?

Ari_Racing
12-18-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm not very happy with this company. I sent an email two times already in two weeks asking something in order to preorder the book and got no reply.

:orely: :arg: It's not like the book sold out already...

Ari_Racing
12-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Well...I finally got a reply. They only answered one thing and incorrectly..but well.

I proceed with the checkout and then I find out that, according to their email I must pay $95, but the website charges me $102.

What did I do? Cancelled it.

Not because of those 7 dollars, but because I realized that it's a really expensive book and I preffer not to purchase this limited edition, even if my name is in it. After all, is not King who puts my name on it...

I might get an extra artist edition of TLSOL instead :)

herbertwest
12-22-2008, 11:33 AM
You already have got your name used in a non-fiction writing by King ;-)

Btw, do you now actually own the issue?

Patrick
12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Since we've known the title of the book for a while now, I'm going to change the name of this thread to reflect that. Thanks.

EXPLORER
12-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm not very happy with this company. I sent an email two times already in two weeks asking something in order to preorder the book and got no reply.

:orely: :arg: It's not like the book sold out already...

I PREODERED MY COPY THROUGH Camelot Books and Gifts
http://www.camelotbooks.com
When I read about the special promotion which would get your name in the book I assumed I would miss out on that, HOWEVER Kim & Tony messaged me to alert me to the option and make sure I was able to take advantage of it. If you know them, you might contact them. If you don't know them feel free to tell them Jim Carpenter recommended you contact.
I find them great to deal with. Often hear about things to come from them before even announced officially.

blg
12-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Does anyone happen to have a phone number for Sub Press? I've searched their website and other places and cannot find one.

Randall Flagg
12-27-2008, 06:37 AM
Fax them @ (810) 232-1447

blg
12-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks, was able to get in touch with them.

herbertwest
12-31-2008, 08:40 AM
the cover is on liljas

pickle
12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Thye cover can also be found HERE (http://thetowerlibrary.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=news&action=display&thread=56&page=2#311)

herbertwest
01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
The Subterranean Press edition of Stephen King Goes to the Movies is -- so far -- the only hardcover edition scheduled, and features full-color movie poster illustrations -- one for each story -- by Vincent Chong.

WOw! 2 of them are on the CD page... pretty impressive!:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/o_king37mangler.jpg

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/o_king37children.jpg

Patrick
01-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I like Vincent Chong's work. :thumbsup:

Ari_Racing
01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
I placed an order, asked a question and didn't get a reply...I really don't like the delays they have replying emails...

Patrick
01-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Today when I shelled out six bucks for the trade paperback, I felt a little twinge of regret at having not stepped up for the higher quality Sub. Press hardcover. I suppose there's still time though.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/SKGoesttMovies.jpg

mae
01-25-2009, 07:03 PM
It's a total waste of paper, in my humblest of opinions. The "comments" don't amount to much, about a regular hardcover page of text, if that. And they don't reveal anything we haven't known before. SK obviously wrote these all in about five minutes. Sorry for those folks that shelled out of the harcover.

Patrick
01-25-2009, 08:51 PM
It's not a total waste of paper if you haven't read all the stories in it yet though. I'm reading 1408 for the first time. :)

Cutter
01-26-2009, 07:32 AM
It's a total waste of paper, in my humblest of opinions. The "comments" don't amount to much, about a regular hardcover page of text, if that. And they don't reveal anything we haven't known before. SK obviously wrote these all in about five minutes. Sorry for those folks that shelled out of the harcover.
Well that definitely stinks, if that's all the comments equate to. But like I said earlier, I just love nice beautiful books, and that's why I bought one. It'll be cool to have another slick looking book on my bookshelf. If I open it up and read it in five minutes and put it away, that's fine. I bought it for the production values over the content.

mae
01-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Patrick, perhaps you don't have Everything's Eventual. But for those of us that have every King book (in hardcover, of course), there's nothing new. The comments are short and shallow. Absolutely unilluminating and uninspired. When this book was first announced it was presented as though the book would be a new non-fiction work with King reminiscing about working on these several films. It turned out to be just a nonsensical collection of previously published stories. What was the purpose? The only good thing I can say about it, is that in the intro to "Low Men in Yellow Coats" King says he still needs to write the story about Carol called "The House on Benefit Street", so we may see it down the road sometime. Just like the totally unnecessary and laughable 10th Anniversary edition of Bag of Bones, which had even less redeeming features, I stand by my assessment that "Goes to the Movies" is a waste. That said, I'm sure the hardcover limited will be a beautiful book. But I buy books for the text inside, personally.

e_taylor
01-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I think both the quality of the book and the illustrations will redeem the book for those of us who have purchased it.

But I'd also agree that, if as Pablo suggests, there is little new material of consequence that the "Constant Reader" might want to avoid it.

I don't see any reason to argue about though! :couple:

herbertwest
01-26-2009, 10:15 AM
The cover is nice lol

Patrick, perhaps you don't have Everything's Eventual. But for those of us that have every King book (in hardcover, of course), there's nothing new. The comments are short and shallow. Absolutely unilluminating and uninspired. When this book was first announced it was presented as though the book would be a new non-fiction work with King reminiscing about working on these several films. It turned out to be just a nonsensical collection of previously published stories. What was the purpose? The only good thing I can say about it, is that in the intro to "Low Men in Yellow Coats" King says he still needs to write the story about Carol called "The House on Benefit Street", so we may see it down the road sometime. Just like the totally unnecessary and laughable 10th Anniversary edition of Bag of Bones, which had even less redeeming features, I stand by my assessment that "Goes to the Movies" is a waste. That said, I'm sure the hardcover limited will be a beautiful book. But I buy books for the text inside, personally.

Bag of Bones & this book makes me wonder if the publisher (is it the same?) doesnt want to use the same idea of DVDs, with bonus material and stuff.
On a Marketing point of view, it is interesting, then...

mae
01-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Here's how the book is billed:

This collection features new commentary and introductions to all of these stories in a treasure-trove of movie trivia.

This is wrong on many levels. There is no commentary, for one thing. There are introductions, sure, but they're very short. And the treasure trove of movie trivia? I must've been holding another book. Apart from a one-page numbered list of King's ten most favorite adaptations there's nothing.

Bev Vincent
01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
The only good thing I can say about it, is that in the intro to "Low Men in Yellow Coats" King says he still needs to write the story about Carol called "The House on Benefit Street", so we may see it down the road sometime.

So Carol becomes Patricia Hearst -- The House on Purchase Street was the book King tried to write around the time he was working on The Shining and The Stand. He at first thought that the members of the SLA would be the ones immune from the superflu!

Brice
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Wasn't it The House On Value Street? :unsure:

Matt
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
This sounds like an economics class all the sudden. :lol:

Brice
01-26-2009, 11:23 AM
:lol:

Patrick
01-26-2009, 11:24 AM

This is wrong on many levels. There is no commentary, for one thing. There are introductions, sure, but they're very short. And the treasure trove of movie trivia? I must've been holding another book. Apart from a one-page numbered list of King's ten most favorite adaptations there's nothing.
I agree, the term "treasure-trove" is an overstatement.

For anyone who knows the stories well and doesn't want another copy of them, they might just stand in the bookstore on their next visit and read the new material in a matter of minutes.

I'm still considering purchasing the higher quality hardcover edition at some point - for the overall higher production values and the new artwork.

jhanic
01-26-2009, 11:38 AM
I doubt that I'll ever get either the paperback or the hardcover. Just not enough new material to make it worth it. I'll probably do as Patrick suggested and read the "new" material at the bookstore.

John

mae
01-26-2009, 11:42 AM
I doubt that I'll ever get either the paperback or the hardcover. Just not enough new material to make it worth it. I'll probably do as Patrick suggested and read the "new" material at the bookstore.

John

Which is what I have done. Took me a whopping two minutes.

Rahfa
01-26-2009, 03:56 PM
That's too bad...I'm sure it will be a nice looking hardcover, though.

It seems like SK is just throwing these publishers some work, even if it's borderline effort...I can't see any other reason for this book.

Ari_Racing
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Or maybe the contract King has with the publisher says that he has to publish 2 books per year.

In that case, we have this one and Under the Dome....

herbertwest
01-27-2009, 04:26 AM
Blaze was the only one in 2007, no?

jhanic
01-27-2009, 04:53 AM
You're right. Blaze was the only 2007 release.

(The Mist was also release in a stand-alone paperback edition then too. I wouldn't count that as a new book, though.)

John

pixiedark76
05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I posted this question on the Cemetery Dance thread. Did anyone get Stephen King Goes To The Movies? I got e-mail notifications saying that all the books have been shipped- and that was 3 weeks ago! Did anyone get their book yet? If you did, did you order it through Cemetery Dance or Subterranean themselves? I looked on the Cemetery Dance website and it says "Forthcoming" If anyone has got their book, please pm me and tell me about it.
Thanks!

divemaster
05-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I ordered mine through Camelot. I received it, oh, about 10 days or 2 weeks ago I guess. Becasue of a mix-up (described in some other thread), I actually ended up getting the book for free. It's on the shelf at home and I'm in the office so I can't really discuss the details at the moment. It seemed to be quite a nice book.

nyy3723a
05-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I ordered through CD, haven't recieved it yet but I'm not worried because CD sends a notification to you when they ship it. Since I haven't gotten the notification yet, I know it wasn't lost in the mail.

herbertwest
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I remember someone complained about ordering books via CD from other publishers...

Guess it's quicker to order via amazon, and is usually cheaper through amazon too

Justin Case
05-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Well that definitely stinks, if that's all the comments equate to. But like I said earlier, I just love nice beautiful books, and that's why I bought one. It'll be cool to have another slick looking book on my bookshelf. If I open it up and read it in five minutes and put it away, that's fine. I bought it for the production values over the content.

I have to agree with Geoff, its worth it to for me also to have a beautiful edition of a book, especially a favorite author or small press. This one is truly beautiful - love the three color print and... well, everything about this book is a very nice production.

Justin Case
05-08-2009, 11:18 AM

Well stated Pablo... I too originally thought it was a non-fiction collection of essays by King about his movies and was surprised to discover otherwise. Sub press has amazing books and spot on editorial judgment (with regard to what projects are done, etc..) but public relations (emails, etc.) or even accurate discriptions are not Bill's stong suit. I love the book I got but it is totally different in both what I envisioned and how the book was touted to be originally.

Ari_Racing
05-08-2009, 03:16 PM
but public relations (emails, etc.)

COuldn't agree more...didn't get a single reply of an email in more than a month...

Cutter
05-08-2009, 05:10 PM

I have to agree with Geoff, its worth it to for me also to have a beautiful edition of a book, especially a favorite author or small press. This one is truly beautiful - love the three color print and... well, everything about this book is a very nice production.

Yea I liked it too Phil. It's a pretty beautiful book, sure it's not relevant as it's all pre-collected material, but it's very nice. Plus I haven't read all the stories in the book. I'll read those along with the notes, and be a happy clam.

gsvec
05-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey, Geoff - is this your place? :lol:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/canadiangnomie/Youth%20Trip%20To%20Maine/100_2483.jpg

Cutter
05-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Hey, Geoff - is this your place? :lol:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/canadiangnomie/Youth%20Trip%20To%20Maine/100_2483.jpg

lol, yea it does.:rofl:

jhanic
06-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I was able to get a copy of the Subterranean Press' hardcover edition in mint condition for $41 including shipping. Not bad for a $75 book still in print!

John

Patrick
06-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I was able to get a copy of the Subterranean Press' hardcover edition in mint condition for $41 including shipping. Not bad for a $75 book still in print!

John
Wow, great deal, John.

I'll give you $40 for it.

turtlex
06-06-2009, 01:57 PM
:lol:

jhanic
06-09-2009, 04:45 AM
From the publisher (50% off!):

Stephen King Goes to the Movies (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-GOES-TO-THE-MOVIES-Limited-Hardcover-Edn_W0QQitemZ200350954287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fic tion_Books?hash=item2ea5d8f32f&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200)

John

e_taylor
06-09-2009, 05:03 AM
From the publisher (50% off!):

Stephen King Goes to the Movies (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-GOES-TO-THE-MOVIES-Limited-Hardcover-Edn_W0QQitemZ200350954287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fic tion_Books?hash=item2ea5d8f32f&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200)

John

I don't agree with that at all. At least respect the folks who dropped $75 in pre-order to fund the book and keep the price at issue.

If I ordered this I'd be asking for a 50% refund.

If they are that desperate to move them at least have a sale where if you buy say 2 in stock books you get it for free or something.

Another questionable business practice by SubPress.

Ari_Racing
06-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Actually the ones that buy it now don't have their names on it...

Those who preordered got that bonus for $75

e_taylor
06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Actually the ones that buy it now don't have their names on it...

Those who preordered got that bonus for $75

Yah.... but then they should have had an option when pre-ordering to save 50% and not have your name in it.

shnnrc01
06-09-2009, 12:49 PM
well im glad i didnt order at the beginning then,looks like ill be picking it up for half price!

Cutter
06-10-2009, 07:23 AM
You can also get it at Amazon if anyone reads this after the auction finishes.

http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-King-Goes-Movies/dp/1596062576/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244647303&sr=8-1

In fact almost all Sub Press books can be bought on Amazon at a discount.

pathoftheturtle
06-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Pocket Books just released this collection of SK stories. "Stephen King Goes To The Movies," copyright 2009. I think that this is the right forum for a thread about it.
I decided that I wanted a copy, even though there's not much in it that I haven't read before. It seems like a product great for introducing the literature to a casual moviegoer. (I wonder if that's why King signed on to it.) Thing is, that is not the way that it has been packaged. The back copy sounds like it is designed to cash in on Constant Readers by misleading us about the contents. The false advertising implies what could be a pretty good whole other book. All it really has are new introductions. No more, all told, than you might find in an average interview. Kind of cool, but no big deal.
Still, I'm glad to have this with my collection. It's interesting.

jhanic
06-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi Path,

Stephen King Goes to the Movies was originally issued as a limited hardcover by Subterranean Press.

Here's the original thread:

http://thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6089

John

Patrick
06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Path, welcome to Calvin's Corner. I've merged the thread into the pre-existing one.

In regards to the Sub Press edition, I ordered a discounted copy from Amazon as shown in the link Geoff posted above. Amazon now says it has shipped, I'm looking forward to receiving it.

By the way, I used the link at the bottom of the TDT.com screen to access Amazon, so this site gets a wee bit of pocket change from my order.

Randall Flagg
08-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Archive?