PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Oscars! Who should win what?

fernandito
11-25-2008, 06:14 AM
The Oscars for 2009 is right around the corner, and I'm sure many people here have different opinions on which movie should win what award.

I'm going to reserve my nominations for the moment (though some of you might be able to guess them :cyclops:).

The biggest categories are :

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor
Best Supporting Actor

So, what do you guys think? Who should win what?

turtlex
11-25-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm headed to see Milk this weekend, so will put my picks after seeing that ( since many predictions which have already been made indicate many wins for this film ).

For inclusion sake - lets also include Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress ( though it looks to be slim pickings this year for both ).

My one prediction - which will likely not change, ever - Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight, Best Actor In A Supporting Role.

fernandito
11-25-2008, 06:20 AM
"They" keep saying that Australia will be a serious contender for BP 2009, but I don't know too much about it outside of the fact that Jackman and Kidman are starring in it. When is this being released? Or has it been released already? :unsure:

turtlex
11-25-2008, 06:22 AM
Austrailia - Released last weekend, it's getting mediocre reviews - I think it will suck. But, that's just me.

Kidman = over-rated actress.

ETA : I don't think it has a shot at Best Picture.

fernandito
11-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Jackman = over rated actor :cyclops:

Oh, and I think Best Visual Effects and Best Costume Design should definitely go to Iron Man - Stan Winston (R.I.P) created a masterpiece of a suit, and Favreau and his boys did a great job of bringing the suit to life with all the gizmos and the high powered repulsor blasts.

(nerdgasm)

Brice
11-25-2008, 06:28 AM
I am just surprised there isn't a poll with these two options:

HEATH LEDGER!!!1

2. someone else

:rofl:

turtlex
11-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Jackman = over rated actor :cyclops:

Oh, and I think Best Visual Effects and Best Costume Design should definitely go to Iron Man - Stan Winston (R.I.P) created a masterpiece of a suit, and Favreau and his boys did a great job of bringing the suit to life with all the gizmos and the high powered repulsor blasts.

(nerdgasm)

You know, my feelings about Jackman are .. he is what he is. He's a fairly good actor, who plays Wolverine really well. :D

Honestly, I think Austrailia is going to bore me to tears. It looks like a yawner that they're trying to pass off as an action-adventure-love-story. Yeah, that'll work.

I did enjoy Iron Man... a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if Downey Jr is nominated. The Academy seems to like him ( ie - the surprise nomination for Chaplin ).

Brice
11-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Feev's nominations-

Best Picture-The Dark Knight
Best Director-Whoever directed it
Best Actor-Heath Ledger
Best Supporting Actor-Heath Ledger
Best Choreography-The Dark Knight
Best Cinematography-The Dark Knight
Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress-Noone deserves it so we'll just give Heath those awards too. :lol:

turtlex
11-25-2008, 06:35 AM
FYI :

Thursday, January 22, 2009: Nominations announced 5:30 a.m. PT, Samuel Goldwyn Theater - ( I don't know if it's ironic or what, but this is also the first anniversary of Heath's passing )

Saturday, February 7, 2009: Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards presentation

Sunday, February 22, 2009: 81st Annual Academy Awards presentation

sarah
11-25-2008, 07:44 AM
I hear Kate Winslet (whom I love) is supposed to be really good in revolutionary road.

I also want to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,The Reader, and Doubt.

turtlex
11-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Benjamin Button is getting very good advanced word. I am looking forward to that myself.

I can't think of 5 great female performances this year, so Winslet might be golden!

Still Servant
11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
It's a little early to be giving Oscar predictions, since most of the big Oscar contenders have yet to be released. I'll take a swing at it anyway. It will be fun to look back on it when the show rolls around. In bold is what I think will win:

Best Picture

The Wrestler
Australia
The Dark Knight
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Milk

Best Actor

Will Smith - Seven Pounds
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
Clint Eastwood - Gran Torino
Sean Penn - Milk

Best Supporting Actor

Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder
James Franco - Milk
Josh Brolin - Milk
Jaime Fox - The Soloist

Best Actress

Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Nicole Kidman - Australia
Kiera Knightley - The Duchess
Kate Winslett - Revolutionary Road

Best Supporting Actress

Marissa Tomei - The Wrestler
Meryl Streep - Doubt
Cate Blanchet - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

This should be an interesting year, a lot of the films that were supposed to be Oscar worthy got critically panned. Best supporting actor should be really interesting. Ledger will win it, but I think Robert Downey Jr. will be a surprise nomination..

I know pretty much everybody on this site hated that film (surprising to me) but RDJ was great in it.

I'm not sure how many of you have heard about The Wrestler, but it's supposed to be an amazing movie. Check out the trailer when you get the chance, you will instantly want to catch that film.

turtlex
11-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Okay, this is going to be my favorite thread, I'm pretty sure.

Great predictions, SS.

However, I think it will be a cold day when Mickey Rourke wins an Oscar. Not saying it wouldn't be deserved, but I'd be mighty surprised.

I like the prediction of Robert Downey Jr up for Best Supporting, but still think he's got a shot at Best Actor. At least at being nominated. That would be the surprise.

Better say this now - I don't think Will Smith can act. Like, at all. Pursuit of Happyness was a piece of crap and it was his fault. He was horrible in that and I couldn't believe they nominated him. It's almost like the Academy wants to give him an award. Please, don't do it.

I would love to see Anne Hathaway get nominated - but I predict, of those you've listed - Angie will take it. Clint just seems to be on a bender with directing women to Oscars.

I think Austrailia is going to be a throw away. Waste of a nom, but you're probably right in all the places you've named it. I'm completely NOT impressed with Nicole Kidman.

I'm picking Sean Penn for Best Actor. I think this is his year. Finally.

I plan on seeing Milk this weekend, and maybe Changeling as well.

I love award release season !!!

ETA : I've heard good things about The Wrestler as well, and about MR. I'm hoping to catch it.

Still Servant
11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Turtle. I also love awards season. I try to see as many films as I can, which is kind of hard sometimes because most theater's don't want to show some of the smaller films.

How can they when Twilight, High School Musical 3 and Madagascar 2 are in three theaters each?

I know Mickey Rourke might have screwed himself out of an Oscar with his troubled past, but he's getting tons of publicity right now. He has multi-paged articles about him in EW and Maxim. (What? I had to buy it, new Bond girl Olga Kurylenko is on the cover.)

I think the whole "one time star down on his luck returns from troubled past" is really in right now. A perfect example is Robert Downey Jr.

I agree with you on Australia. Every year there is an overrated film that seems to rake in tons of noms and I scratch my head. Australia might be that film this year.

I disagree with you about Will Smith. I think he better be careful. People are starting to hate him like they hate Tom Cruise. I'm not quite sure why.

sarah
11-25-2008, 08:01 PM
The reviews for Australia are coming out and the movie is getting mixed review (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/australia/) However, Nicole Kidman is getting trashed. I'm surprised at that. Doesn't she usually get good reviews for her performances?

turtlex
11-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Thanks, Turtle. I also love awards season. I try to see as many films as I can, which is kind of hard sometimes because most theater's don't want to show some of the smaller films.

How can they when Twilight, High School Musical 3 and Madagascar 2 are in three theaters each?

I know Mickey Rourke might have screwed himself out of an Oscar with his troubled past, but he's getting tons of publicity right now. He has multi-paged articles about him in EW and Maxim. (What? I had to buy it, new Bond girl Olga Kurylenko is on the cover.)

I think the whole "one time star down on his luck returns from troubled past" is really in right now. A perfect example is Robert Downey Jr.

I agree with you on Australia. Every year there is an overrated film that seems to rake in tons of noms and I scratch my head. Australia might be that film this year.

I disagree with you about Will Smith. I think he better be careful. People are starting to hate him like they hate Tom Cruise. I'm not quite sure why.

I, too, have to hunt down the smaller films. My local theater has Twilight on three screens and they're just opening Changeling. Now, Changeling is a major release with a name star and director, I can't imagine how hard it's going to be to find The Wrestler! I might have to venture into Philadelphia to see it, which turns into quite an ordeal - with driving to the city ( about an hour away ), finding the theater, paying to park, paying high prices to see the movie and then there's the gas... I hope to be able to stay as local as possible this movie season.

I am lucky, though, that there's a small art house type of theater about half an hour away - the only problem is, they typically book a film for as many as three weeks, so the selection isn't as wide ranging as I'd like.

I do like Mickey R, actually. I think his personal life got in the way of his acting. I would love to see him nominated, I would love that!

: The Pope of Greenwich Village is one of my fav movies :

I know a lot of folks love Will Smith, I just have never seen him act in any film he's been in. He's just there as himself, it seems to me. I loved him in Independence Day. That movie was exactly what it was - an action packed ride. No pretense, no attempt at being deep. He carried that with his charisma and presence, he just didn't do any acting.

maer - Yeah, the Academy and critics usually love Nicole Kidman. She's got the Oscar and all, but I've heard nothing really positive about Austrailia. Even when it was filming, things were coming out about how bad it was. That, and the fact they were tweaking it until two days before release - never a good sign. I've never been a big Nicole fan, I think she peaked with Dead Calm and BMX Bandits, actually. :D

I would like to throw out a couple more predictions, if I may :

W, though not a box office success, got a lot of good reviews for the acting. I predict Richard Dreyfuss will be nominated for his take on Chaney, in the Best Supporting Catagory ( no, he won't win - I still say that's going to Heath ). I think also, that Josh Brolin has a shot at a Best Actor nod for W as well. I also heard that Thandie was great as Condie and since the female catagories seem to be lacking this year - I wouldn't be surprised to see her nominated.

fernandito
11-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Thought you guys might want to see this :) -

Australia Review
Baz Luhrmann's latest is an epic ... fail.
by Jim Vejvoda

November 26, 2008 - Australia, director Baz Luhrmann's highly anticipated follow-up to 2001's Moulin Rogue!, is an epic retelling of events set in the country's northern frontier from the late 1930s to early '40s. Part Western, part war film, and part fairy tale, Luhrmann's epic focuses on the unlikely romance between an English aristocrat and a rough-hewn cowboy in the days before the nation entered World War II.

After arriving in Australia to confront her wealthy husband about suspected infidelity, Lady Sarah Ashley (Nicole Kidman) instead finds out that he has been murdered and his ranch, Faraway Downs, threatened with ruin. In order to save Faraway Downs, Sarah hires the enigmatic Drover (Hugh Jackman), the best horseman around, to drive 1500 head of cattle across the brutal outback to market for the army to buy. Sarah and the Drover eventually fall for one another despite hailing from two different worlds.

As Sarah comes to love both the Drover and her newfound homeland, she also becomes surrogate mother to Nullah (newcomer Brandon Walters), a part-Aborigine, part-white child whose mother works at Faraway Downs. The policy of that time was for mixed race children to be rounded up and institutionalized so they could become more white. Sarah protects Nullah from this for as long as she can, but his grandfather is King George (David Gulpilil) who is accused of killing none other than Sarah's husband.

Sarah, Drover and Nullah form their own little family, but they will soon be torn apart by the machinations of rival cattleman King Carney (Bryan Brown) and his scheming station manager Neil Fletcher (David Wenham), who are out to grab Faraway Downs for themselves, as well as by Australia's impending war with Japan.

Crikey, Australia is a bloody mess -- a sprawling schlockfest that feels as long as a flight from L.A. to Sydney. It is truly shocking just how bad Australia can be when it is clearly such a labor of love. Adding to the frustration and disappointment is the fact the film dramatizes real-life tragedies -- the Stolen Generations, the bombing of Darwin -- which don't resonate as much as they should. And Luhrmann's stabs at Moulin Rouge-style zany comedy early on is jarring given the film's overall serious nature.

Alternately campy and melodramatic, the kitschy Australia is a movie about movies, specifically the big and often bloated historical epics of the Golden Age of Hollywood. It is a patchwork of homages to classics, everything from The African Queen and Gone With the Wind to Red River and From Here to Eternity. (The Wizard of Oz actually plays a big part in the story.) Jackman looks eerily similar to Clint Eastwood at times, channeling both the Man With No Name and Two Mules for Sister Sara. Such direct nods to past films undermine the production design's efforts at historical authenticity and, along with some less than stellar CG effects and the aforementioned moments of comedy, add to the overall artificiality of the whole piece.

None of the characters feel real; they are all just archetypes or, worse, stereotypes. Jackman is the iconic Western hero with a dark past; Kidman is the prissy and cultured fish out of water (didn't she already play this role in Far and Away?); Wenham is the dastardly villain who does everything but twirl his mustache and tie the damsel to train tracks; and Walters and David Gulpilil's characters border on the racial stereotypes of "the magic black man" (one character practically uses The Force to stop a cattle stampede) and "the noble savage". There's even a Rio Bravo-esque drunkard who must rise to the occasion to help the heroes.

Jackman and Walters do what they can to imbue their characters with soul and humanity despite being written more as symbols than people. Luhrmann seems to be the only director to get some life out of Kidman on-screen, but a colleague of mine rightly pointed out that it's only because he has her mug for the camera. Wenham starts out all right, but the more corrupt his character becomes the hammier his performance gets. It was nice to see Bryan Brown again, considering he was sort of the Hugh Jackman of his day. It's too bad they didn't have more (and better) scenes together.

There are moments in the first half of its nearly three hour running time when Australia works -- and there is some truly beautiful cinematography throughout -- but the movie simply drags on and on, becoming hokier and more boring as it goes. Australia would have been better had it focused more on one particular storyline -- and settled on a consistent tone -- than to pack in so many elements and not serve any of them well.

turtlex
11-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Boy, it's scary when they compare Nicole's character to one she played in .... Far and Away!! Well, at least they didn't compare it to Days of Thunder.

Gee, color me not surprised. Guess what I won't be going to see ... Yeah.

turtlex
12-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Well, I completely bailed on going to the movies this past weekend. Will try again this upcoming. I've lots on my "to see" list.

Seymour_Glass
12-05-2008, 05:17 PM
It's a little early to be giving Oscar predictions, since most of the big Oscar contenders have yet to be released. I'll take a swing at it anyway. It will be fun to look back on it when the show rolls around. In bold is what I think will win:

Best Picture

The Wrestler
Australia
The Dark Knight
Milk

Best Actor

Sean Penn - Milk

Best Supporting Actor

James Franco - Milk
Josh Brolin - Milk
Jaime Fox - The Soloist

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actress

Meryl Streep - Doubt

This should be an interesting year, a lot of the films that were supposed to be Oscar worthy got critically panned. Best supporting actor should be really interesting. Ledger will win it, but I think Robert Downey Jr. will be a surprise nomination..

I know pretty much everybody on this site hated that film (surprising to me) but RDJ was great in it.

I'm not sure how many of you have heard about The Wrestler, but it's supposed to be an amazing movie. Check out the trailer when you get the chance, you will instantly want to catch that film.

I think Leo DiCaprio's gonna get nominated again over Clint.
And, despite how brilliant he was, no way is RDJ getting nomed.
Fincher's gonna win Best Director over Nolan, whether Benjamin Button is better than TDK or not.

turtlex
12-06-2008, 03:13 AM
Wow, I think I might disagree about RDJ. The academy seems to like him, and he completely made Iron Man.

The Independent Spirit Award Nominees have been announced. There are lots of limits on budgets, etc, for getting a nom.

FEATURE
"Ballast"
"Frozen River"
"Rachel Getting Married"
"Wendy and Lucy"
"The Wrestler"

FEMALE LEAD
Summer Bishil, "Towelhead"
Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married" [pictured]
Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"
Tarra Riggs, "Ballast"
Michelle Williams, "Wendy and Lucy"

MALE LEAD
Javier Bardem, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"
Sean Penn, "Milk"
Jeremy Renner, "The Hurt Locker"
Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler"

SUPPORTING MALE
James Franco, "Milk"
Anthony Mackie, "The Hurt Locker"
Charlie McDermott, "Frozen River"
Jim Myron Ross, "Ballast"
Haaz Sleiman, "The Visitor"

SUPPORTING FEMALE
Penélope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Rosemarie DeWitt, "Rachel Getting Married"
Rosie Perez, "The Take"
Misty Upham, "Frozen River"
Debra Winger, "Rachel Getting Married"

DIRECTOR
Ramin Bahrani, "Chop Shop"
Jonathan Demme, "Rachel Getting Married"
Lance Hammer, "Ballast"
Courtney Hunt, "Frozen River"
Tom McCarthy, "The Visitor"

turtlex
12-06-2008, 03:17 AM
And the first actual awards are in... The National Board of Review has choosen the following :

Awards for 2008:

Best Film
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Top Ten Films
(In alphabetical order) BURN AFTER READING, CHANGELING, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, THE DARK KNIGHT, DEFIANCE, FROST/NIXON, GRAN TORINO, MILK, WALL-E, THE WRESTLER

Best Foreign Language Film
MONGOL

Best Documentary
MAN ON WIRE

Best Actor
CLINT EASTWOOD, Gran Torino

Best Actress
ANNE HATHAWAY, Rachel Getting Married

Best Supporting Actor
JOSH BROLIN, Milk

Best Supporting Actress
PENELOPE CRUZ, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Best Ensemble Cast
DOUBT

Breakthrough Performance by an Actor
DEV PATEL, Slumdog Millionaire

Breakthrough Performance by an Actress
VIOLA DAVIS, Doubt

Best Director
DAVID FINCHER, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Best Directorial Debut
COURTNEY HUNT, Frozen River

Best Adapted Screenplay
SIMON BEAUFOY, Slumdog Millionaire and ERIC ROTH, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Spotlight Award
MELISSA LEO, Frozen River and RICHARD JENKINS, The Visitor

Best Original Screenplay
NICK SCHENK, Gran Torino

Best Animated Feature
WALL-E

turtlex
12-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Congratulations, Heath !

"The late Australian actor Heath Ledger was awarded one of his country's most prestigious film awards for his final role as The Joker in the Batman movie "The Dark Knight."

Ledger, 28, who died of an accidental overdose of painkillers and other medicines in his New York apartment 11 months ago, was posthumously awarded the AFI (Australian Film Institute) international award for best actor.

Guests at a packed awards ceremony in Melbourne's Princess Theater rose to their feet clapping, but with some in tears, to pay tribute to the actor."

To be on topic about this - I think he really will only get nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars. And... I think he'll get it.

fernandito
12-06-2008, 07:18 AM
He WILL win it!

:D

turtlex
12-06-2008, 07:19 AM
If I had a vote, and I sooooo wish I did, he'd get mine.

Though, I was surprised to see Josh Brolin take the award at the National Board of Review.

Still Servant
12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
The Oscars have been a ratings dud in recent years.

One way to make sure there are more viewers this year will be to nominate actors from films that were big at the box office. This is one reason I think Downey will get nominated. I also think that's why Dark Knight will get nominated. Plus, it deserves it.

I've heard so much about Slumdog Millionaire, but I must admit the trailer does nothing for me. I officially have zero interest in that film. Maybe I'll see it when it comes to dvd and be pleasantly surprised.

I'm also sad to see Burn After Reading on the top ten films of the year list. It was easily one of the more disappointing films I've seen in a long time.

turtlex
12-09-2008, 04:12 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about Slumdog as well.. but to be honest, it looks far too "feel good" to me.

jayson
12-09-2008, 05:35 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about Slumdog as well.. but to be honest, it looks far too "feel good" to me.

That's pretty much why I have little interest in seeing it as well despite the good reviews I've read.

turtlex
12-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Um, WALL-E over The Dark Knight... Hunh?

The Los Angeles Film Critics Association has gone populist on its picks for best movies of 2008, with the animated smash "WALL-E" at No. 1 and the Batman flick "The Dark Knight" as runnerup.

The group's honors Tuesday include Sean Penn as best actor for "Milk" and Sally Hawkins as best actress for "Happy-Go-Lucky."

The late Heath Ledger is the critics' supporting-actor winner for his role as the Joker in "The Dark Knight." Penelope Cruz is the group's supporting-actress choice for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

Danny Boyle has won the directing honor for "Slumdog Millionaire," while "Happy-Go-Lucky" also is the screenplay winner for Mike Leigh.

fernandito
12-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Isn't it funny how The Dark Knight obliterated every other movie in the box office, yet the academy keeps brushing it off as just another comic book movie?

F'n idiots <_<

turtlex
12-10-2008, 12:45 PM
NY Film Critics Chime In - Dark Knight SHUTOUT !! Even Heath?!? HUNH?!?!

Sean Penn and "Milk," Gus Van Sant's biopic about gay rights leader Harvey Milk, continued to gain awards momentum Wednesday, winning best film from the New York Film Critics Circle.

Penn was chosen as best actor for his performance in the lauded film about Milk, the openly gay San Francisco politician who was assassinated in 1978. Josh Brolin won best supporting actor for his performance in the film.

On Tuesday, Penn was chosen as best actor by the Los Angeles Film Critics Association. "Milk" also leads the Broadcast Film Critics Association with eight nominations, tied for the most with "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

Like their West Coast brethren, the New York critics picked Sally Hawkins for best actress for her performance in Mike Leigh's "Happy-Go-Lucky." Best director went to Leigh.

Still Servant
12-11-2008, 08:35 PM
It was nice to see Robert Downey Jr. get nominated for a Golden Globe for Tropic Thunder. I think that might be a good sign that he could get nominated for an Oscar. It was very surprising to see Tom Cruise get nominated as well. I'm sure both noms made all the Tropic Thunder haters scratch their heads.

I must say I'm a tad worried about The Dark Knight all of a sudden. No Golden Globe nom for best picture was surprising and is not a good omen for an Oscar nod.

Maybe it's just me, but I have no interest in a bunch of the films that are getting a lot of awards buzz, including Slumdog, The Reader and Revolutionary Road.

turtlex
12-12-2008, 03:03 AM
No way is Dark Knight a gaurantee - except for Heath. I would be completely 100% shocked if he isn't nominated.

With regards to the Golden Globes though, keep in mind - the Globe Nominees and Awards are based on the ballots of, like, 85 people. TOTAL. 85.

Don't be too panic'd yet. However, don't bet the farm on any big hits for TDK either.

obscurejude
12-13-2008, 06:56 PM
I go to the movies once or twice a week and I just got back from seeing Milk. I have to say that Sean Penn's performance is the most powerful one I've seen this year. I've heard a lot about Slumdog Millionaire, but still haven't seen it (maybe tomorrow).

turtlex
12-14-2008, 02:49 AM
I plan on seeing Milk as soon as it comes to a theater anywhere near me. The money is on Penn for Best Actor.

Django
12-14-2008, 03:55 AM
I plan on seeing Milk as soon as it comes to a theater anywhere near me. The money is on Penn for Best Actor.

I'll be rooting for Josh Brolin.

turtlex
12-14-2008, 05:44 AM
I feel it will be a big contest between Josh Brolin and Heath Ledger... also, if Philip Seymour Hoffman gets nominated for Best Supporing for Doubt... those are three VERY strong performances. I'd initially heard some good thing about Emile Hirsh for Best Supporting as well, for Milk.

That looks to be the strongest category.

jayson
12-14-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm hoping to get a chance to see Milk in the theatre. It's hard to get to the movies anymore with a baby, but I'd like to see that one without having to wait for the DVD.

obscurejude
12-14-2008, 09:54 AM
I think I'd pick Ledger over Brolin. Ledger made the Dark Knight, but that isn't the case with Brolin and Milk. Brolin also had a lot less screen time in the movie.

I hope you guys get a chance to see it. I'm lucky, in this regard, that I live in a college town and have four indy theaters to go to.

turtlex
12-14-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm hoping to get a chance to see Milk in the theatre. It's hard to get to the movies anymore with a baby, but I'd like to see that one without having to wait for the DVD.

Once the nominations are out - I think they'll roll Milk out with wider distribution. Right now, they're relying on word of mouth and mostly art-houses.

I think I'd pick Ledger over Brolin. Ledger made the Dark Knight, but that isn't the case with Brolin and Milk. Brolin also had a lot less screen time in the movie.

I hope you guys get a chance to see it. I'm lucky, in this regard, that I live in a college town and have four indy theaters to go to.

The thing to remember though, is that the category is supporting! Actually, the actual award is Best Actor In A Supporting Role.

I am looking forward to the awards this year, I think there will be a lot of good categories.

Best Actress is picking up as well.

obscurejude
12-14-2008, 11:31 AM
yes, I know. Penn didn't need Brolin's support, Bale absolutely did. Milk would have still been a fine movie even if all we saw of Brolin's character was the inevitable ending. Honestly, I was really surprised that Brolin was nominated. Franco was much more peripherally engaging.

jayson
12-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Once the nominations are out - I think they'll roll Milk out with wider distribution. Right now, they're relying on word of mouth and mostly art-houses.

It's not a matter of screenings available so much as it is an inability to go to the movies having a 6 month old baby. We haven't been to a movie since Ella was born. Of course, it's unlikely we'd have gone anyway as there hasn't been anything in that time we'd have wanted to see.

turtlex
12-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Speaking as a tried and true babysitter ( who relied on nice folks like you to pay me and therefore support my youthful movie going ) .... gosh, man, hire a babysitter! Go out. Enjoy the evening with your lovely wife! It's Oscar season. Eventually, something will be out there that you want to see. :D

Django
12-15-2008, 06:17 AM

Don't you think Ledger would be a nominee for the supporting role?

Everybody was raving about Bardem's performance in No Country for Old Men, but for me it was Brolin who did the best job in that film.

fernandito
12-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Really? Brolin did a fine job, but Bardem just blew everybody out of the water.

Brice
12-15-2008, 06:24 AM

Everybody was raving about Bardem's performance in No Country for Old Men, but for me it was Brolin who did the best job in that film.

Hell no! :nope: He wasn't supporting actor. He was the lead. They just didn't want to upset whoever that dude was who played that Batman guy by telling him so.

fernandito
12-15-2008, 06:26 AM
So did you finally watch the entire movie, Brice? :cyclops:

turtlex
12-15-2008, 06:26 AM

I think, without a doubt, that Heath will be nominated for Best Actor in A Supporting Role. Without a doubt! IMHO.

I'm going to have to agree with Django here. I thought Brolin was just outstanding in No Country. I thought be was better than Bardem, who I got bored with after a while. Caveat here, though, I wasn't completely thrilled with the whole movie either. I don't think it was the awesome film most made it out to be. Sorry, but Fargo kicked it butt as far as watchability.

Django
12-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Hell no! :nope: He wasn't supporting actor. He was the lead. They just didn't want to upset whoever that dude was who played that Batman guy by telling him so.

If he does get a nomination, I'm sure it'll be for a supporting role. And if he does get nominated he will most certainly win it - who can compare to a young dead star. Not that he doesn't deserve it, though. He did a hell of a job there.

Django
12-15-2008, 06:31 AM
I don't think it was the awesome film most made it out to be. Sorry, but Fargo kicked it butt as far as watchability.

Fargo never clicked for me. And their undisputed masterpiece (and presumably the best movie ever made) is no doubt The Big Lebowski.

turtlex
12-15-2008, 06:31 AM
re: Heath. He won't get a Best Actor nom. I don't think there's a chance of that. If for no other reason than the folks from TDK wouldn't want him up against Penn. Remember, it's up to the submitter as to what award the person will be nom'd for.

Brice
12-15-2008, 06:32 AM
So did you finally watch the entire movie, Brice? :cyclops:

Not all of it yet. :lol:

turtlex
12-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Oops. Django, looks like we're ping-ponging our posts.

I don't think it was the awesome film most made it out to be. Sorry, but Fargo kicked it butt as far as watchability.

Fargo never clicked for me. And their undisputed masterpiece (and presumably the best movie ever made) is no doubt The Big Lebowski.

I honestly think Fargo is just a masterpiece of wonderfulness. :D I would suggest giving it another watch. Frances MacDormand is, hands down, perfect in her role. And Buschemi (spelling error) is hysterical.

Not sure I can agree about the Big Lebowski, as I think Fargo is much better.

Django
12-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Oops. Django, looks like we're ping-ponging our posts.

I honestly think Fargo is just a masterpiece of wonderfulness. :D I would suggest giving it another watch. Frances MacDormand is, hands down, perfect in her role. And Buschemi (spelling error) is hysterical.

Not sure I can agree about the Big Lebowski, as I think Fargo is much better.

I watched Fargo three times, trying to see what everyone else sees in it and I failed each time. And Lebowski is just stellar. It works on so many levels, it's amazing. And hilarious.

turtlex
12-15-2008, 06:49 AM
As owner of the Tenth Anniversary Bowling Ball edition DVD of Big Lebowski, I understand your love.

And no one can say you didn't give Fargo a try. :D

Django
12-15-2008, 06:50 AM
As owner of the Tenth Anniversary Bowling Ball edition DVD of Big Lebowski, I understand your love.

*green with envy*

:thumbsup:

fernandito
12-15-2008, 07:10 AM

I'm going to have to agree with Django here. I thought Brolin was just outstanding in No Country. I thought be was better than Bardem, who I got bored with after a while. Caveat here, though, I wasn't completely thrilled with the whole movie either. I don't think it was the awesome film most made it out to be. Sorry, but Fargo kicked it butt as far as watchability.

What I liked about Bardem is that feeling that at any given moment he can pull out a gun and blow your brains out. Remember that scene with the gas attendant? He's so calm and collected on the outside, not reflecting that boiling insanity beneath the surface.

jayson
12-15-2008, 07:12 AM
I love them both, like I do most Coen Brothers films, though head-to-head, I'd have to say The Big Lebowski is better than Fargo. I've seen Fargo twice, and feel that is as much as I need to see it. Lebowski I watch every couple of months. I have no idea how many times I've seen it in total, but well over 100.

I also agree with Django and Turtlex that Brolin gave the best performance in No Country. Bardem was good, but without a compelling performance of Llewelyn Moss, the movie would become uninteresting very quickly.

turtlex
12-15-2008, 07:16 AM
100 times?

Smoly Hokes! That is a lot.

I'm trying to think if I've seen any movie that many times, and I'm thinking maybe "Star Wars", "Empire Strikes Back", "Footloose" and "Hunt For Red October"... maybe.

ETA : Footloose is one of my favorite Bad Movies.

jayson
12-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Then don't even ask how many times I've seen Brazil, Pulp Fiction or Dazed and Confused because I can't count that high.

turtlex
12-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Oh, man, I forgot Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas... Those are pretty high for me too.

obscurejude
12-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm going to go see Slumdog Millionaire sometime this week.

turtlex
12-15-2008, 02:14 PM
My prediction is that Slumdog sweeps the Spirit Awards this year.

fernandito
12-15-2008, 05:39 PM

I just found out this morning that Danny Boyle directed this flick, all of a sudden I'm interested in seeing it.

fernandito
12-15-2008, 09:12 PM
The Joker Wins Again
TDK, Iron Man among year's best films.
by Jim Vejvoda

December 15, 2008 - Heath Ledger keeps racking up posthumous honors from different critics' groups for his performance as the Clown Prince of Crime.

The late Aussie's portrayal of The Joker in The Dark Knight has now earned him Best Supporting Actor nods from the New York Film Critics Online awards and the Boston Film Critics, respectively.

Ledger has so far earned nominations from the Australian Film Institute, the Golden Globes, the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the DC Area Film Critics Association, and the Satellite Awards. Does this mean Ledger is a shoo-in for an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actor?

In related news, The Dark Knight and fellow superhero blockbuster Iron Man have been selected as the American Film Institute's Movies of the Year. And although it didn't win the best picture award, The Dark Knight was also among the New York Film Critics Online awards' finalists in that category.

turtlex
12-16-2008, 03:42 AM

I just found out this morning that Danny Boyle directed this flick, all of a sudden I'm interested in seeing it.

I don't know... looks a little too "you're gonna feel great after you see this movie" to me.

Also, it's about as NON-Danny Boyle as he's ever done. Very not typical of his work, from what I've read.

I am still going back and forth on seeing it. I will let the Academy decide. If it gets nominated in a major category, then I'll track it down.

obscurejude
12-16-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't mind if its a "feel good" movie. I seldom feel good so it might be what I need. I go to the movies so I can get wrapped up in someone else's story for a couple of hours.

It seems like the majority of you hate Tom Cruise, but I love him. I'm really looking forward to Valkyrie as well.

Brice
12-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Actually, I've always liked Tom Cruise, myself.

turtlex
12-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Actually, I tend to really enjoy Tom Cruise movies. It's Tom Cruise himself who kind of gets on my nerves. I'll be seeing Valkryie without a doubt.

Oh, and I just found out both Milk and Slumdog are playing kind of locally, so I might get to both this week sometime.

re: Slumdog and "feel good" - I don't mind a movie that makes me feel good, but when I get hit over the head with it, I hate it.

fernandito
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I got Planet Terror and Stand By Me at Target yesterday for $5 each. :D

obscurejude
12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Nice find Feev.

About Tom Cruise... I was just responding to the bashing he got in the general movie discussion thread. For Hollywood, even though I'm not a scientoligist, his devotion is compelling. He has a lot of integrity and his consistency in regards to his way of life is admirable in my opinion. Further, the fact that he has fallen out of public favor shows the fickleness of the masses and not a character flaw on his part. He's been a scientoligist, openly for years, as well as intense and deliberate.

Turtlex, in regards to getting hit over the head with "feel good" I hear you. The thing about Slumdog is that I've heard very very little about it. Only one review on NPR and the rest I looked up on the net myself. Australia, on the other hand, has been a media blitz and I automatically hate it for that reason. Also, I find modern India intriguing in the same way that I found the Last Samurai: the enjambment of modernity and tradition is infinitely fascinating. I enjoy images of poverty interlaced with prosperity in order to illustrate the shallowness of capitalism. I'm a post modern, but I'm not going into that right now. I'm just pointing out why I'm interested in Slumdog. I'm sure I'll enjoy the character elements when I see it, but they are peripheral to what initially piqued my interest.

jayson
12-17-2008, 06:48 AM
About Tom Cruise... I was just responding to the bashing he got in the general movie discussion thread. For Hollywood, even though I'm not a scientoligist, his devotion is compelling. He has a lot of integrity and his consistency in regards to his way of life is admirable in my opinion. Further, the fact that he has fallen out of public favor shows the fickleness of the masses and not a character flaw on his part. He's been a scientoligist, openly for years, as well as intense and deliberate.

So those of us, like myself, who object to Cruise solely on the basis of his poor acting abilities are ok? I could care less about his personal beliefs, though I would say that the way he goes about discussing them are far from civl or respectful of the beliefs of others, not exactly a model of integrity. Nonetheless, I don't care about stuff like that unless I were to meet him in person and have him act disrespectfully to me. I simply think he's not much of an actor and, more often than not, his films are of little interest to me.

Django
12-17-2008, 07:13 AM
I hate when Cruise plays in good movies. Like Magnolia. You are forced to watch him. Yuck. Then people say it's OK if he's playing a sleazeball, that it's easier to watch him then. But then that's not acting, is it? Sorry for the rant.

How about Mickey Rourke for best actor, he seems to get a lot of press and he obviously did a great job in The Wrestler?

jayson
12-17-2008, 07:48 AM
I've read a lot of good things about his performance in The Wrestler. I would like to see it.

turtlex
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Mickey gets a nomination, not at all.

However, I did hear that he's made some comments, at previews etc, that weren't exactly flattering. I hope he doesn't blow it.

ETA: re Tom Cruise - He is definitely a director's actor. Meaning, if he has the right director, he does well. I thought he was very good in Rainman and Jerry Maguire. The first Mission:Impossible, I liked a lot. He was really good in Born on the Fourth of July.

Spencer
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I've read a lot of good things about his performance in The Wrestler. I would like to see it.

It's been getting nothing but positive reviews from wrestlers themselves. Roddy Piper personally thanked Rourke for doing the film and telling the story, which if you know anything about Piper, is high praise indeed. :lol:

jayson
12-17-2008, 02:30 PM
It's been getting nothing but positive reviews from wrestlers themselves. Roddy Piper personally thanked Rourke for doing the film and telling the story, which if you know anything about Piper, is high praise indeed. :lol:

Good to know that it's coming across as authentic to the people in the industry. I believe that Ernest "The Cat" Miller plays a role as Rourke's former wrestling "enemy".

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 05:02 AM

So those of us, like myself, who object to Cruise solely on the basis of his poor acting abilities are ok? I could care less about his personal beliefs, though I would say that the way he goes about discussing them are far from civl or respectful of the beliefs of others, not exactly a model of integrity. Nonetheless, I don't care about stuff like that unless I were to meet him in person and have him act disrespectfully to me. I simply think he's not much of an actor and, more often than not, his films are of little interest to me.

I know you hate his acting abilities and that's the reason I didn't nominate Top Gun as the best movie of all time. :lol:

I've been a fan of his for 23 years and I don't see that changing, ever.

My integrity pitch was directed toward Turtlex because she brought up his personal life. I know you don't care about the character behind the artistic process.

"I have enjoyed our conversations"

turtlex
12-18-2008, 05:05 AM
: turtlex feels Tom Cruise is a nut-job in his personal life, and might very well be torpedo'ing his professional career because of it... but feels that really doesn't matter so long as he continues to make movies she enjoys watching :

That being said - His last couple of movies have really sucked, and he's sucked in them.

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 05:10 AM
obscurejude affirms Turtlex' opinions but begs to differ.

turtlex
12-18-2008, 05:13 AM
obscurejude affirms Turtlex' opinions but begs to differ.

On which part? :D

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 05:20 AM
I don't think he's a nut job. I don't think he destroyed his career because he's Tom Cruise and will make a comeback and I blame paramount and media spin for his career issues. Disagreeing with Matt Lauer and jumping on a couch doesn't make you emotionally unstable in my book. Plus, he apologized to Brooke Shields and Lauer. I also thought his last couple of movies were fine. Not great, but not terrible or sucky.

Its my opinion and I realize its a minority one right now.

turtlex
12-18-2008, 05:27 AM
I don't think he's a nut job. I don't think he destroyed his career because he's Tom Cruise and will make a comeback and I blame paramount and media spin for his career issues. Disagreeing with Matt Lauer and jumping on a couch doesn't make you emotionally unstable in my book. Plus, he apologized to Brooke Shields and Lauer. I also thought his last couple of movies were fine. Not great, but not terrible or sucky.

Its my opinion and I realize its a minority one right now.

Ah. I see. Well, to me, big point in maybe a self-distruct was parting with Pat Kingsley. He'd been a "handled" star for a long time. Meaning, they kept his personal life and beliefs on the down-low so that it would not effect his "star power". He used to be untouchable as far as taking a swipe at him, and then, he did kind of have a meltdown. That couch jumping? Um, just a tad odd. More so than the Matt Lauer thing - which to me, was just him standing up for what he thought/thinks was true. Nothing odd there - except Matt looked stunned. Hee.

His last couple of movies? Mostly, I was thinking about how crappy I thought War of the Worlds was, and he was horrible in it. Just very wooden and cold. The only thing worse than him, was Fanning, who - I am just sure - was annoying the heck out of Cruise and caused that crappy performance!

To me, I think I will always be a fan of his. Too many of his movies, I have really enjoyed and have become part of my vinacular - Rain Man, for instance.

I'll be a fan, bring on the wack-job-ness !

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 05:36 AM
:lol:

Good points Turtlex, as always. Don't get me wrong, I think the couch jumping was odd and the Lauer interview handled terribly, but it was blown way out of proportion by the media.

I thought War of the Worlds was pretty weak too, but ironically it was his highest grossing movie and got a lot of rave reviews.

*hopes he used irony correctly since Jayson will be reading this*

He's just a staple for me. Top Gun is about the first movie I remember seeing in my life. I've always enjoyed his movies and I wish he would have won the Oscar for Born on the 4th of July and Rainman. I appreciate his versatility in being able to take on the action hero as in Mission Impossible or a drama, indy role, or whatever. I really do believe he's talented, but I'm sure some of my opinion is based on contingency and fanboyism.

jayson
12-18-2008, 05:44 AM
I thought War of the Worlds was pretty weak too, but ironically it was his highest grossing movie and got a lot of rave reviews.

*hopes he used irony correctly since Jayson will be reading this*

There's definitely some irony in the phenomenon of strong box office numbers for weak movies. Pretty much every week I see a new commercial for "the number one movie in America" and wonder how the hell that happened.

turtlex
12-18-2008, 05:46 AM
I believe he should have won for Rain Man as well. Honestly, I truly did. Thought he had a good chance with Magnolia, too. Which, I happen to have loved him in. I'm a fan, no doubt about it. And, to be honest, as much as it is sticky sweet with sentiment, no one else could have pulled off Jerry Maguire as well as he did.

obscurejude
12-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Agree in regards to Jerry.

Still Servant
12-19-2008, 07:30 AM
I've been looking forward to The Wrestler for months now. I've been following its tomatoe rating on Rotten Tomatoes and it had 49 fresh and 0 rotten.

I don't think I've ever seen that before. Of course, 2 stupid critics had to go ruin it. Seemingly just because they wanted to be the first to give a negative review.

Marisa Tomei also looks amazing in it. I've always loved her and thoght she was great in last years Before the Devil Knows You're dead (another film where she shows off her amazing body.)

I just hope I can find The Wrestler and Gran Torino in a theater near me. They are two films I really want to see.

turtlex
12-19-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm sort of relying on Nominations to get more films in wide release.

Still Servant
12-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Yeah, that should do the trick. It helped with films like No Country For Old Men (amazingly enough, my local theater was one of 700 theaters to open the film first) and Juno.

The more buzz these films get the better it is for us.

Spencer
12-22-2008, 05:44 PM

Good to know that it's coming across as authentic to the people in the industry. I believe that Ernest "The Cat" Miller plays a role as Rourke's former wrestling "enemy".

Somebody call my mama!!
YouTube - WCW: Ernest Miller Calls Out Santa Claus

turtlex
01-01-2009, 02:05 PM
After reading multiple BEST of 2008 lists, I wouldn't be surprised if WALL-E gets nominated for BEST PICTURE ( not just best animated picture ).

obscurejude
01-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I think Slumdog should win for whatever its nominated for. I can't think of anything I've seen that comes close in the drama categories.

I haven't seen The Wrestler yet or Gran Torino. Hopefully, this will change soon.

By the way guys, The Wrestler will have a national wide release sometime later this month so hopefully it will come to someplace close by.

jayson
01-01-2009, 03:58 PM
The Gran Torino trailers don't make it look all that appealing to me. The Wrestler I think I would enjoy. :awaits dvd releases:

obscurejude
01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I saw an extended trailer for Gran Torino a few days ago when I saw Valkyrie and it looked like it had some potential.

Jayson, when are you guys going to go see Valkyrie? :P

jayson
01-01-2009, 06:49 PM

Two days after Hell freezes over, if I'm not too busy.

obscurejude
01-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Two days after Hell freezes over, if I'm not too busy.

Let me know if you need a sitter. Me and Ella can catch up on Tom Cruise movies. What are her favorites?

fernandito
01-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Dark Knight Nominated
The Producers Guild also honors Button, WALL.E.
by Jim Vejvoda

January 5, 2009 - The chances of a best picture Oscar nomination for The Dark Knight rose with today's announcement from the Producers Guild of America.

Along with TDK, the PGA nominated Milk, Frost/Nixon, Slumdog Millionaire, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button for its top honor -- the Darryl F. Zanuck Producer of the Year Award.

The nominees for best animated feature were Kung Fu Panda, Bolt, and WALL•E.

The PGA will announce the winners January 24 at the Hollywood Palladium.

Still Servant
01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, this Christmas "break" was a dud for me as far as seeing some Oscar worthy films are concerned.

I usually get to see a handful of films this time of year and I didn't get to see any.:angry:

I still want to see Milk, Doubt, Button and even Valkyrie. Of course I'm also looking forward to The Wrestler and Gran Torino opening wide.

I did rent Wall-E and although I thought it was a good movie, I don't think it deserves quit the amount of praise it's received.

turtlex
01-06-2009, 04:25 AM
SS - I have the same list.

I didn't get to anything over the holidays!

Still Servant
01-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Well, I'm not sure how many of you got to watch the Critics Choice awards the other night, after all, you would have needed a bloodhound to find them. They aired on VH1 on Thursday night.

The only thing I got out of the show was that the Oscar's are going to be very boring because apparently Slumdog Millionaire is going to win everything....everything. Except for acting awards for which they will probably receive none. That's always a problem for me actually.

I must say, I'm not sure what people see in that film.

The Cosmic Geek
01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm really curious to see who wins best Animated feature. I really think it should be either Kung Fu Panda or Wall E.

turtlex
01-11-2009, 08:01 AM
I think Wall-E is a lock.

Golden Globes tonight.

Seymour_Glass
01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Of course Wall E is gonna win. Pixar always wins.

obscurejude
01-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Clint Eastwood should win the Oscar for best male lead for Gran Torrino. It was the best movie I've seen in at least 3 years. Absolutely fantastic.

Doubt was very good, particularly Hoffman, but I'm not sure its really Oscar worthy.

I'm seeing The Reader later in the week and I know that Winslett has a lot of Oscar buzz for the role. I'm looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype.

Heather19
01-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm seeing The Reader later in the week and I know that Winslett has a lot of Oscar buzz for the role. I'm looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype.

Let me know how it is. I've really been wanting to see this one.

fernandito
01-11-2009, 02:09 PM
So, the closest theater here that's showing Slumdog Millionaire is about an hour away. <_<

obscurejude
01-11-2009, 02:53 PM
So, the closest theater here that's showing Slumdog Millionaire is about an hour away. <_<

While that definitely sucks, go see Gran Torinno. ;)

Still Servant
01-14-2009, 08:04 AM
I didn't watch the Golden Globes live, (I was watching 24) but I recorded it and watched it later.

I must say, I really don't like the Golden Globes. The lack of a host is annoying. I've always thought it was weird to mix TV with film. TV gets overshadowed every year. I thought it was funny when Rainn Wilson from The Office and Blake Lively from Gossip Girl game out and Wilson said, "Hi, we're TV actors." Really funny.

Some of the highlights for me were Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey and Sasha Baren Cohen. Most of the other presenters seemed to make a fool of themselves. I couldn't stop cringing at their banter.

As for the awards. The TV awards were pretty much a waste. The Globes continue to lump everything into one category TV miniseries/movie should not be together with comedy and drama. It's just not fair.

I'm getting kind of annoyed how cable shows seems to dominate the nominatios in the TV categories now. For a while it was HBO but now it seems like every cable station is getting into the action. What happened to basic cable? You mean to tell me Lost isn't better than some of those shows? Also, if you are going to nominate all these cable shows, where is AMC's Breaking Bad?

I was happy to see Colin Farrell win for In Bruges, it was on of my favorite films of the year. I scratched my head when Vicky Cristina Barcelona won for best comedy. That whole category is a joke. VCB and In Bruges are not comdies. Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder and Role Models are comedies. Those other films are dramas with a few laughs (I'm assuming Vicky Cristina Barcelona had a few laughs, although I highly doubt it.)

I was really happy Mickey Rourke won. I know I'm going to like that film when I see it. It still makes me wonder how The Wrestler and the director were not nominated.

Finally, it's now clear that Slumdog Millionaire will pretty much win everything on Oscar night. I still think it's weird how a film that will win best picture and director will probably not have any acting nominations. For a character driven film, that just doesn't make sense.

Wow, that was long. I probably have some other things I wanted to say, but I can't remember.

fernandito
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
You forgot to mention that our boy Heath Ledger won the award for Best Supporting Actor! :clap:

idk, my bff jill?
01-14-2009, 02:20 PM
(I'm assuming Vicky Cristina Barcelona had a few laughs, although I highly doubt it.)

That movie was a snooze. I'm still wondering what the hell it was doing there.

I agree with you about the presenters, most of them were kind of bad, and Seth Rogen's Mickey Rourke comment was a bit out of line, but I still loved Ricky Gervais, Rainn Wilson, and Sasha Baren Cohen. Those guys are hilarious. :lol:

I can't remember all that well anymore, but I think I was pretty pleased with all the wins in the film categories, and I was absolutely ecstatic when Kate Winslet won, twice even! She, Rourke, and Ledger definitely deserved their awards. I'm also really glad that Wall-E won for Best Animated Film. I'm a huge Wall-E fan. :)
Unfortunately, I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire as of yet, but after all those wins, I'm definitely going to get my ass to Friday night's showing.
There are so many movies that I either haven't seen or haven't been able to see because they haven't gotten here (and probably won't until they're out on DVD) that it's frustrating. ><

As for the TV part of the ceremony, well...we have the Emmy's.

All in all, I'm not a huge fan of the Golden Globes either, but at least it gives an idea of can be expected at the Academy Awards. Speaking of which, does anyone know who's going to be the host?

turtlex
01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
idk - it got there because of Woody Allen.

I didn't see Vicky Christina, but planned on it. We'll see what happens when the nominations are out. I've other things on my list before.

Milk.
The Wrestler.
Slumdog.

fernandito
01-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Slumdog and The Wrestler are at the very top of my list too.

Still Servant
01-17-2009, 08:11 AM
(I'm assuming Vicky Cristina Barcelona had a few laughs, although I highly doubt it.)

Speaking of which, does anyone know who's going to be the host?

Hugh Jackman. I really wish John Stewart or Conan O'Brien could do it every year. I'll be interested to see how Jackman does.

I saw Doubt the other day. I thought it was a really good film. As somebody who grew up in Catholic schools (of course I attended much more recently than what the film portrays) I found it very interesting.

Hoffman, Amy Adams and Steep were all great. Hoffman and Streep give their normal powerful performance and Amy Adams is great as the sweet nun.

Also, Viola Davis is great in her one scene. I don't think she should get nominated for it. I'm against people getting nominated for one powerful scene.

Hoffman continues to amaze me. I love that guy as an actor. From Happiness, Magnolia, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Capote, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and The Savages (his performances in the last two films outshine his performance in Charlie Wilson's War for which he was nominated for an Oscar).

Getting back to the movie. I know some people will dislike the film for it's lack of a conclusion, but that's what the film is about. You either believe Hoffman or you don't. It's left open on purpose. You are supposed to have doubt.

obscurejude
01-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Good analysis Still Servant.

The film kind of fucked with my mind, but I was expecting it too. The performances were very powerful, particularly Hoffman's.

turtlex
01-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Oscar nominations will be announced in a few hours.

turtlex
01-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Congratulations Heath !

This looks to be a great year!

Brice
01-22-2009, 05:54 AM
So he was nominated? :D

turtlex
01-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Yes he was! Yah, Heath!

Here is the whole list.

1. Best Picture: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Frost/Nixon," "Milk," "The Reader," "Slumdog Millionaire."

2. Actor: Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"; Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"; Sean Penn, "Milk"; Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler."

3. Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"; Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"; Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"; Meryl Streep, "Doubt"; Kate Winslet, "The Reader."

4. Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin, "Milk"; Robert Downey Jr., "Tropic Thunder"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Doubt"; Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"; Michael Shannon, "Revolutionary Road."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "Doubt"; Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"; Viola Davis, "Doubt"; Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler."

6. Director: David Fincher, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"; Gus Van Sant, "Milk"; Stephen Daldry, "The Reader"; Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire."

7. Foreign Film: "The Baader Meinhof Complex," Germany; "The Class," France; "Departures," Japan; "Revanche," Austria; "Waltz With Bashir," Israel.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Eric Roth and Robin Swicord, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; John Patrick Shanley, "Doubt"; Peter Morgan, "Frost/Nixon"; David Hare, "The Reader"; Simon Beaufoy, "Slumdog Millionaire."

9. Original Screenplay: Courtney Hunt, "Frozen River"; Mike Leigh, "Happy-Go-Lucky"; Martin McDonagh, "In Bruges"; Dustin Lance Black, "Milk"; Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon and Pete Docter, "WALL-E."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Bolt"; "Kung Fu Panda"; "WALL-E."

11. Art Direction: "Changeling," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "The Duchess," "Revolutionary Road."

12. Cinematography: "Changeling," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "The Reader," "Slumdog Millionaire."

Brice
01-22-2009, 05:59 AM
:dance:

Django
01-22-2009, 06:27 AM
The supporting actor category looks the hottest!

turtlex
01-22-2009, 06:32 AM
A lot of the categories look tight. Looks to be a good awards show.

Django
01-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Benjamin Button has more nominations than Slumdog. Another interesting detail.:orely:

turtlex
01-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Well, I definitely have my new list of "must see" movies in the next month, before the awards.

Django
01-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Same here. And since most of them aren't in theaters here yet, looks like I'll be downloading my ass off as every year.:pirate:

turtlex
01-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Crap! Yeah, you're at a disadvantage there, for sure. I just have to likely drag my butt into Philadelphia ( about an hour away ) for a couple of them, unless they all go into wide release now that the noms are out.

I do see that The Dark Knight is being re-released.

Django
01-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Come to think of it, last year I got to see some of the stuff in cinema before the awards namely There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men. Maybe they hurry up now as well. Much better than watching rubbish DivX, hehe.

turtlex
01-22-2009, 07:42 AM
DivX? They still have those? My sympathies, friend! :D

I think now that the nominations are out - things will roll out wide, and internationally. Especially Benjamin Button and Slumdog.

fernandito
01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
I haven't seen SM (yet!), but Benjamin Button deserves all the votes and recognition it's getting, it's such a beautiful movie. Yes, I said beautiful.

Spencer
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm gonna see The Wrestler as soon as I can. Everyone in the business I've talked to says it's dead on, I'll see for myself whether it's accurate.

fernandito
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Oh, and f*ck the academy for not nominating TDK :angry:

Still Servant
01-22-2009, 06:09 PM

Best Picture

The Wrestler
Australia
The Dark Knight
Milk

Best Actor

Sean Penn - Milk

Best Supporting Actor

James Franco - Milk
Josh Brolin - Milk
Jaime Fox - The Soloist

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actress

Meryl Streep - Doubt

Wow, I was way off in the best picture category. A little thing called Slumdog Millionaire wasn't on my radar back in November.

I got 3 out of 5 in the best actor category. I also got 3 out of 5 in the best supporting actor. Although I'm not sure why I snubbed Philip Seymour Hoffman, I love him so much. If you move Streep into the best Actress category and change the movie for Winslett I did okay in the best actress category

I must say it bugs me how a film like Doubt gets 4 acting noms, but isn't recognized for best picture or director. The Wrestler gets a best acting nom and best supporting actress nom, yet doesn't get a best picture or best director nomination.

On the other hand, Slumdog Millionaire will win best picture and best director, yet it received zero acting nominations. I'm sorry, I just have a problem with that.

obscurejude
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm so angry that The Wrestler had such a limited screening. :pullhair: If fucking pisses me off when I have to watch a goddamn trailer 8 times about a movie that's been out 3 months but is nowhere to be found.

turtlex
01-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Wow! Do you really think Slumdog is going to win Picture and Director?

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't really say - but I would be surprised at that.

Don't feel bad, the Wrestler isn't anywhere around me either! I suspect a wider release this week or next, though.

Feev - I know we disagree on this one, my friend, but I think TDK has a pretty good showing... and honestly, I think Heath will win ( an upset would go to PSH ).

Django
01-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Wow! Do you really think Slumdog is going to win Picture and Director?

It would surprise me too. I haven't seen it either, but it doesn't strike me as a clean winner from what I've gathered.

Just finished Gran Torino. Good stuff there.

idk, my bff jill?
01-24-2009, 09:00 AM
I must say it bugs me how a film like Doubt gets 4 acting noms, but isn't recognized for best picture or director. The Wrestler gets a best acting nom and best supporting actress nom, yet doesn't get a best picture or best director nomination.

On the other hand, Slumdog Millionaire will win best picture and best director, yet it received zero acting nominations. I'm sorry, I just have a problem with that.

Doubt: In all seriousness, Doubt deserves only two acting nominations. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams played their parts exquisitely, but Meryl Streep and Viola Davis are both overrated. Meryl Streep was overacting her part, and Viola Davis wasn't even in the movie for ten minutes. All she did was cry during half of her short scene.
I understand why it didn't get the Best Director nomination because the noisy characters and exaggerated tilted angles weren't particularly enjoyable.
As for the Best Picture nomination, I'm glad it didn't get it, but I'm surprised at the decision since Doubt was pretty well-received by critics.

The Wrestler: I haven't seen it, but it should be hitting theaters here on Feb. 5th, so I'll come back to it later. I am happy that Mickey Rourke might win, though. :)

Slumdog Millionaire: I think Slumdog deserves all its nominations (and hopefully, all its future wins). But yeah, I think it's strange that it didn't get any acting nominations. Dev Patel delivered a wonderful breakthrough performance, so I think that if anyone from Slumdog gets an acting nom, it should be him.

obscurejude
01-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Of course you guys know I saw the Wrestler last night. I won't say much since no one else has seen it, but it was very good and Marissa Tomei :drool:.

turtlex
01-24-2009, 09:52 AM
OMG - Finally! Someone else who thinks that Meryl Streep is not the be all and end all of American Cinema!

I feel Doubt's only gauranteed win will be the Screenplay award for JPS.

idk, my bff jill?
01-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Of course you guys know I saw the Wrestler last night. I won't say much since no one else has seen it, but it was very good and Marissa Tomei :drool:.

This is going to sound really pervy, but I so want to see her as a stripper. :drool:

obscurejude
01-24-2009, 03:55 PM

This is going to sound really pervy, but I so want to see her as a stripper. :drool:

Its not pervy, and it was done well in the movie. She was hot, but also very sympathetic. Again, I don't want to give away anything until more of you guys see it.

And I love that song that Bruce Springsteen did for the soundtrack. Fantastic!

turtlex
01-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Okay, finally got to see Doubt today.
I just have one thing to say - if Philip Seymour Hoffman beats out Heath Ledger, there is something seriously wrong in the world. PSH was good. No issue there, but it was in no way the tour de force performance that Heath's was... honest.

Amy Adams - again, good, but not great.

Meryl - Sorry. I don't think she should get best actress. I mean, she has her moments, and is very good... but, again, but.... she's been better and really wasn't knock you out good.

All this makes me look forward to the awards all the more - because there's a lot going on that I can't wait to see....

... next up Rachel Getting Married, Gran Torino and The Wrestler. Oh, and Slumdog. I gotta get hopping, the Awards are sooner than later.

I will say, though, that I'm still not really looking forward to Slumdog, what with me being sure I saw the end during the trailer and that is a huge peeve with me.

Still Servant
01-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I've never been a fan of Streep as an actress, and I do think she was over the top at times during Doubt. That being said, I still think it was a solid performance. Maybe it's because I know nuns that are exactly like her.

I also don't agree with the Viola Davis nomination. Although it's not the first time somebody was nominated for such a short role. Judi Dench comes to mind from Shakespeare In Love.

I do believe Slumdog will win best picture and director. In fact, I don't think it will even be close. I would be shocked if they didn't take those two categories.

The Wrestler opened in a small, rundown theater about 30 minutes from my house. I was going to see it, but I decided to wait until it opesn at the nice, new theater 3 minutes from my house. It should be everywhere very shortly. Be patient.

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on The Wrestler Still Servant. I enjoyed it, but I think [I]Gran Torino/I] is going to be my favorite movie this season.

Heather19
01-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I just have one thing to say - if Philip Seymour Hoffman beats out Heath Ledger, there is something seriously wrong in the world. PSH was good. No issue there, but it was in no way the tour de force performance that Heath's was... honest.

While I haven't seen Doubt yet, I don't think we have to worry about this. I know the academy loves Philip Seymour Hoffman, but I will be shocked if the oscar doesn't go to Heath.

idk, my bff jill?
01-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Gosh, I'm so pissed Meryl Streep won for Best Actress in the SAG awards last night. :angry:

And I love that song that Bruce Springsteen did for the soundtrack. Fantastic!

:clap:

obscurejude
01-26-2009, 03:50 PM

While I haven't seen Doubt yet, I don't think we have to worry about this. I know the academy loves Philip Seymour Hoffman, but I will be shocked if the oscar doesn't go to Heath.

Its not that I don't want Heath to win, but I wouldn't be as disappointed as you guys if Mr. Hoffman wins. He made Doubt in my opinion and I'm just not a big fan of the Dark Knight. Well, maybe that's more reason for Heath to win on second thought- I would have really thought Dark Knight was sub par if it weren't for him.

Whatever. I'm too tired to post. :cry:

Django
01-27-2009, 04:06 AM
I saw Doubt yesterday and I loved it. Loved Streep and Hoffman and Amy Adams (I don't see why Viola Davis was nominated, though). I think it's one of the best written movies in a long time.

Today I watched Benjamin Button. Good film, typical Oscar material, I guess. I'm watching Slumdog Millionare tomorrow, see how it compares. I think Doubt will end up among my very favorites.

turtlex
01-27-2009, 04:40 AM
Django - I agree with you on the written, and have said, and still believe, that JPS will win the adapted screenplay award.

However, I just wasn't as moved as I thought I would be. For one, with JPS directing, there were quite a few director "moments" that I felt were just there because he thought they would be neat... rather than out of necessity for the film or the plot.

I really can't say I liked it, though. It was good performances and I can appreciate that. I just wasn't impressed overall.

turtlex
02-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Wow.... Slumdog won the DGA ( Directors Guild of America ) - a real sign it might take the Oscar ( same group of voters and all ). Nice call.

Still Servant
02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Not so fast Slumdog.

I just read an article in EW that talks about The Reader gaining ground on Slumdog Millionaire.

The article states that the reason for this is Harvey Weinstein and his win-at-all-costs campaigning tactics. He's notorious for his Oscar campaigning, but I think his efforts will fall short.

That being said, maybe best picture isn't as much of a lock as I had previously thought.

fernandito
02-08-2009, 05:29 PM
The Reader? Ehhh, I don't think so. Slumdog has been receiving critical acclaim from top critics across the country, and The Reader has been met with mixed reviews. Check out Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB, Slumdog's popularity among users far outweighs The Reader's.

Django
02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
If Slumdog wins it's gonna be the weakest Best Picture winner since Chicago.

fernandito
02-09-2009, 10:57 AM
And why is that?

Django
02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
The question is what's good about it. The story is weak, the acting is mediocre and Boyle directs it as if the audience is stupid or forgetful.

obscurejude
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Do you mind expanding all that Django?

How is the story weak?
Acting was mediocre, how? I particularly thought the scenes with the kids were fantastic.
The comment about the directing doesn't make any sense unless you expand it.

Thanks. :)

Django
02-10-2009, 07:04 AM
How is the story weak?

Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets the girl back. Told through a number of questions in a quiz. The characters are thoroughly black and white (with the exception of the brother who is the only more or less interesting part of the story).

Acting was mediocre, how? I particularly thought the scenes with the kids were fantastic.

I agree, the kids were good. Who else was? Can't think of anyone.

He keeps remind us of what we've already seen. Like the number written on the mirror, although we've seen it less than a minute ago.

Or in the last question, how they never learned the name of the third musketeer, although we've heard that twice before.

I don't think it's a very bad movie, I just think it's grossly overrated and all of the others (haven't seen The Reader yet) nominated for BP are much better.

But, that's just like... my opinion, man.

obscurejude
02-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Cool Django. I was just interested in your thoughts and I appreciate what you have to say. I'm going to think about your points some more, but thanks again. :thumbsup:

idk, my bff jill?
02-18-2009, 06:00 PM
How is the story weak?

Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets the girl back. Told through a number of questions in a quiz. The characters are thoroughly black and white (with the exception of the brother who is the only more or less interesting part of the story).

I thought it was refreshing to see a common Bollywood theme turned into something new and cleverly pieced together, cunning and insightful while still maintaining its fairy-tale charm. I considered it a nice balance all around.

I agree, the kids were good. Who else was? Can't think of anyone.

Dev Patel played a pretty good part.
But I agree that the adults' performances weren't the year's best. However, I think that that just adds to the fact that Slumdog is a genuinely good movie since it didn't need outstanding acting to make it so wonderful.

He keeps remind us of what we've already seen. Like the number written on the mirror, although we've seen it less than a minute ago.

Or in the last question, how they never learned the name of the third musketeer, although we've heard that twice before.

Well, the director has to keep in mind that not everyone can keep up with all the details. Besides, emphasizing things can make the big picture turn out better.
I thought the movie was very well paced; never too fast and never too slow.
Not to mention that the cinematography was excellent.
Very good ambiance.

I don't think it's a very bad movie, I just think it's grossly overrated and all of the others (haven't seen The Reader yet) nominated for BP are much better.

But, that's just like... my opinion, man.

Yeah, everyone has different tastes.
I just wanted to give my opinion, too. :D

Having watched most of the Oscar contenders, though, I think Slumdog Millionaire definitely deserves the Best Picture win.

Merlin1958
02-18-2009, 06:49 PM
If Slumdog wins it's gonna be the weakest Best Picture winner since Chicago.

While I thoroughly enjoyed No Country for Old Men I still don't understand it being a Best Picture. At least Chicago was a "Classic" so to speak (being a long running Broadway production)

My vote is "Dark Knight". I haven't seen Slumdog but DK was one helluva movie!!! If it doesn't win then the academy shoulf all be taken out and shot!! lol lol J/K.

Ledger as the Joker still gives me the chills every time I watch it!!:evil::evil::scared::scared:

sleeplessdwarf
02-18-2009, 07:04 PM
I enjoyed No Country somewhat. I loved Dark knight, but I would be surprised if it won. I came across Slumdog when it was first released by accident, and I will admit that it was a damn good flick. This is my guess as to who will win it all.

Seymour_Glass
02-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Slumdog is pretty much sweeping so far.

Spencer
02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I just knew Sean Penn would win for being in the "important movie."

Ruthful
02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm not going to pretend that I care which idiot gets awarded a shiny statuette, but I'd by lying if I didn't say I was rooting for Mickey Rourke tonight-not that I actually watched a millisecond of The Oscars.

He's a great actor, and Sean Penn sucks. Not only because he's a retard-which he is-but because his acting sucks balls. Hasn't had a good role since Spicoli, with the exception of that fim he was in with Kevin Spacy-another one-man crap factory-whose title I don't even remember. The only other notable role I remember him playing is that of an uneducated, Irish hood in "Mystic River," which was not exactly a quantum leap in stretching his dramatic ability, IMO.

Sidiq Barmak-the director of "Osama"-had a film nominated for Best Foreign-Language Film. I probably also would have chosen that if I had been able to watch it. Other than that, I could care less.

Sam
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
My wife was pulling for Frank Langella to win for his portrayal of Nixon. I figured it would go to Rourke. Oh well, we were both wrong.

Django
02-23-2009, 01:40 AM
My wife was pulling for Frank Langella to win for his portrayal of Nixon. I figured it would go to Rourke. Oh well, we were both wrong.

Shoulda been Rourke. If not him than Frank. Ah, well.

idk, my bff jill?
02-23-2009, 05:50 AM
I was cheering for everyone but Brad Pitt in the Best Actor category, so I'm happy.

turtlex
02-23-2009, 05:54 AM
I figured Sean Penn would win, and I wanted him too. I think he's a GREAT actor, one of the best working today. "Important film" or not, he nailed the part.

I was actually surprised with Brad's nomination - mostly, I think he's barely passable in his abilities ( I think he peaked with Thelma and Louise ... though he's been fun to watch in other things, I don't usually think of him as good, per se ).

Also, with Pitt's performance, with so much digital enhancements ( ie - a lot of the makeup to age him was actually digitally applied ) ... how much was his acting?

fernandito
02-23-2009, 06:07 AM
I was a little disappointed that Slumdong won Best Cinematography over The Dark Knight - though I haven't seen the former, the work that Wally did for TDK is incomparable, he made that movie feel like a living/breathing comic book.

turtlex
02-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Feev - I was surprised at that as well... TDK had such atmosphere and a sense of place and emotion.

Django
02-23-2009, 06:24 AM
I was a little disappointed that Slumdong won Best Cinematography over The Dark Knight

True, I really thought The Dark Knight would do better in the technical categories.

turtlex
02-23-2009, 06:34 AM
I was a little disappointed that Slumdong won Best Cinematography over The Dark Knight

True, I really thought The Dark Knight would do better in the technical categories.

Ditto.

Django - you had some great insights and picks !

turtlex
02-23-2009, 07:12 AM
My thoughts :

I love Oscar night - I am such a sucker for it, every since I was a little kid.

With the exception of the HSM kids ruining their musical number, the night was actually pretty good, IMHO.

Good :
* Hugh Jackman was very good. He was self-effacing, charming and very talented.
* The "intimate" setting.
* The past winners thanking and introducing the current nominees.

Bad :
* The HSM kids in their musical number... proving they have no right to be there.
* The "In Memorium" piece... I liked that QL did the singing, but as soon as she got the second word out - they should have cut to the people who have passed and kept the camera on them! That dodging in and out with the angles and then the singing, it was hard to read some of the names.
* Um, Jennifer Aniston looked ready to burst into tears through her entire intro ( and any time the camera was on her ).

Odetta
02-23-2009, 07:21 AM
I have trouble seeing Hugh as anyone other than Wolverine, so seeing him singing and dancing was like seeing Wolverine dancing. :panic:

turtlex
02-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Yeah, but that was what I found so great... especially at the end of his big opening musical number when he sang... I'm Wolverine !!!

I loved that !

jayson
02-23-2009, 07:29 AM
I have trouble seeing Hugh as anyone other than Wolverine, so seeing him singing and dancing was like seeing Wolverine dancing. :panic:

I'll just be happy if we never have to see him as Roland Deschain.

Sam
02-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Pam, I agree with you 100% about the "In Memorium" piece. The director of that segment should be shot, hanged, and beheaded.

I hate to say it, but I was rather bored by the Oscars this year. And in the past, I have actually taken a day off from work to watch them.

I was really surprised that Iron Man didn't win anything in the technical portion. That film brought the character to life in ways I thought would NEVER be possible just ten years ago. It deserved better than just a nomination.

Spencer
02-23-2009, 08:27 AM
I actually had the opposite opinion, this was the 1st year in a long time that I liked watching the Oscars. Fun numbers, great films nominated this year, and the political posturing was kept to a minimum.

turtlex
02-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Sam - Yup, the "In Memorium" was shoddy. I hated it. That should be a somber moment to reflect. I loved the live singing and the song was approprite - it was just VERY over directed. They should have cut away from QL immediately, and let the feed be just of the photos.

I'm with you, Spencer - I did like the awards this year. Last year, and really, the last couple of years were very boring to me.

I agree completely on the Iron Man issue - again, nothing technical. Same with Dark Knight. Academy snobbery at it's best.

gsvec
02-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I totally agree about the "In Memorium" piece. It really ticked me off that we couldn't easily read them all, but I did like QL's singing. Waaaaaay over directed!!

fernandito
02-23-2009, 09:04 AM
I loved when Hugh Jackman did that piece on The Dark Knight where he said something to the effect of "It didn't get nominated because it's a comic book movie? Did I do something wrong?"

Django
02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
I thought Jackman was good. He even made me laugh a couple of times.

Re: In Memoriam. I had no idea Bernie Mac died. I hate to find out like that.:(

Ruthful
02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I was cheering for everyone but Brad Pitt in the Best Actor category, so I'm happy.

From what I heard, that film was unbearable.

I can't imagine how bad an adaptation of an F. Scott Fitzgerald play would be, given how Hollywood butchered its shot at The Great Gatsby.

turtlex
02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I thought Jackman was good. He even made me laugh a couple of times.

Re: In Memoriam. I had no idea Bernie Mac died. I hate to find out like that.:(

Django - Every year at least one person catches me by surprise. :couple:

idk, my bff jill?
02-23-2009, 01:02 PM

From what I heard, that film was unbearable.

I can't imagine how bad an adaptation of an F. Scott Fitzgerald play would be, given how Hollywood butchered its shot at The Great Gatsby.

It wasn't unbearable, but it wasn't anywhere near as stupendous as everyone made it out to be. To be completely honest, I was even a little bored during the movie, and that really doesn't happen very often with me.
What I hated the most is that they called Benjamin Button the modern-day Forrest Gump (or something along those lines). And no. No, it's not. <_<

fernandito
02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
What I hated the most is that they called Benjamin Button the modern-day Forrest Gump (or something along those lines). And no. No, it's not. <_<

It's because of the multitude of things that both films have in common; a product of the same writer having written the screenplay for both films.

At any rate, I loved the film, and I can't wait to pick it up on DVD.

jayson
02-23-2009, 01:09 PM
It wasn't unbearable, but it wasn't anywhere near as stupendous as everyone made it out to be. To be completely honest, I was even a little bored during the movie, and that really doesn't happen very often with me.

Overrated and boring. Sounds an awful lot like Forest Gump to me. :P

fernandito
02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Jayson, have you been drinking again?

http://operachic.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/haterade.jpg

jayson
02-23-2009, 01:14 PM

I do hate Gump. I can admit that. Hell, I'm proud of it.

turtlex
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
OMG !!

I thought I was the only person who thought that Forrest Gump was sooooo over-rated?!?

Jayson : High Five !! :rock:

jayson
02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
You must have missed that conversation because I remember bringing it up awhile back and was surprised (pleasantly) to find that there are actually a lot of other people who think so too. Glad to know you are in that camp as well. :couple:

I said it then, but I'll repeat it now so you can hear the story (and bc I love this story)... My wife hated it too and we once had a friend who said it was the greatest movie ever. One time this friend was raving about another movie and my wife stopped him and asked "Aren't you the one who said Forrest Gump is the best movie ever? Well then you're opinion on movies doesn't mean shit." I was so proud. :evil:

idk, my bff jill?
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Hahaha. Your wife is funny. :lol:
I say the same thing to a girl whose favorite movies are She's the Man and The Boondock Saints.

Anyway, I admit Forrest Gump isn't the best movie of all time, but I do like it a lot. http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/POW-lah/Smileys/thicon_sweatdrop.gif

http://operachic.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/haterade.jpg

/steals :ninja:

Oh, oh, and little comment: I LOVED BEN STILLER PLAYING JOAQUIN PHOENIX!
I felt kind of bad for the guy for being made fun of like that, but I laughed anyway.

Merlin1958
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm not going to pretend that I care which idiot gets awarded a shiny statuette, but I'd by lying if I didn't say I was rooting for Mickey Rourke tonight-not that I actually watched a millisecond of The Oscars.

He's a great actor, and Sean Penn sucks. Not only because he's a retard-which he is-but because his acting sucks balls. Hasn't had a good role since Spicoli, with the exception of that fim he was in with Kevin Spacy-another one-man crap factory-whose title I don't even remember. The only other notable role I remember him playing is that of an uneducated, Irish hood in "Mystic River," which was not exactly a quantum leap in stretching his dramatic ability, IMO.

Sidiq Barmak-the director of "Osama"-had a film nominated for Best Foreign-Language Film. I probably also would have chosen that if I had been able to watch it. Other than that, I could care less.

I have to agree with you concerning Penn. While he may be a decent actor to some it just seems that he always takes questionable roles which seem to define and limit any real skills he may have. Rourke was fantastic in the Wrestler and coupled with his history was such a great story. However, as usual the Alternative Lifestyle folks at the Academy decided what was the socially important film for us and gave it to him. Isn't it great to have them tell the average filmgoer what is good and what is not?

TDK grossed more than several of the Best Picture nominees put together but, didn't rate a nomination. Go figure!! Oh well onto another year!!

At least Ledger got the nod for the Joker. Man! that was a great job!!

anyone notice that in that collage for Best picture there were no clips from LOTR (unless I'm mistaken), which ran away with the awards that year. There were several other notables missing as well. I realize they had to select a finite number of clips but one's that killed on Oscar nite should have been included. just a passing observation.

Heather19
02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I loved Benjamin Button. I thought it was a wonderful film. However one thing that surprised me was that it won (I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong) the special effects award. Which to me should have gone to one of the other nominees. I was also surprised that The Dark Knight didn't win more of the technical awards, those are the ones that I was kind of expecting it to.

And I also really enjoyed Hugh Jackman. I'm not really a fan of his, but I thought he did a good job. But one thing that annoyed me was Beyonce showing up in the musical number. I don't know, I felt they should have used an actress instead. But maybe it's just because I can't stand her.

turtlex
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
However, as usual the Alternative Lifestyle folks at the Academy decided what was the socially important film for us and gave it to him. Isn't it great to have them tell the average filmgoer what is good and what is not?

TDK grossed more than several of the Best Picture nominees put together but, didn't rate a nomination. Go figure!! Oh well onto another year!!

Um... I don't suppose you'd like to clarify that comment on the "Alternative Lifestyle folks"....

.... Milk was a historical film... based on a true story, about an actual person who was influential in the Gay and Lesbian community. Same as Patton was a historical film about WWII. Would you suggest that the Academy was then the War Mongering folks who decided what was socially important then?

I completely am missing your point.

TDK didn't rate for Best Picture, IMHO, but Ledger's performance was outstanding...

Can you judge a Best Picture by the gross? If so, I fear for next year when likely Twilight will be the big winner.

Heather19
02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Can you judge a Best Picture by the gross?

I agree with this. Just because a film does well at the box office, does not necessarily make it a good film in my opinion. Also a lot of the best picture nominees have only been out in limited release, or were just released fairly recently, so they're obviously not going to have made as much money as say your typical summer blockbuster.

And honestly this drives me crazy when it comes to the oscars. So many films come out in such limited viewing right before the nominations go up. I wish they would release them earlier, and give the public a chance to see them.

turtlex
02-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Heather - For sure, that whole release schedule that results in a dump of films in very limmited releases in only a very few major cities is quite annoying.

I almost wish the Academy would change the rules indicating that some kind of attempted wide-release is required.

Slumdog is just now opening around my ( rather po-dunk ) small town.

I do understand the point of it, word of mouth, and all that - but still, it makes it very hard for the dedicated movie fan to see all the nominees prior to the Big Night!

Heather19
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
It just seems like they always forget about movies earlier in the year, and it's just the very recent ones that get a nomination. Honestly alot of the films, haven't even seen much a limited release before the nominations go out, so I'm guessing it's based on what the critics say? What do you think.

I too wish they could set up some regulations, like say it has to be released so many months prior to nominations, that way the general public has a chance at seeing them. And I really wish they would put more of them in wide release instead of limited.

turtlex
02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Heather - Ah, yes, you speak the truth. The first half of the year is largely forgotten...

... a lot does have to do with economics, of course. Smaller films just don't have the money behind them to produce 2500 copies of their film, have a huge marketing budget, etc. They have to sneak up on an audience.

I just wish they'd sneak up on us before the awards, rather than after !

sarah
02-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I have to agree with you concerning Penn. While he may be a decent actor to some it just seems that he always takes questionable roles which seem to define and limit any real skills he may have. Rourke was fantastic in the Wrestler and coupled with his history was such a great story. However, as usual the Alternative Lifestyle folks at the Academy decided what was the socially important film for us and gave it to him. Isn't it great to have them tell the average filmgoer what is good and what is not?

At least Ledger got the nod for the Joker. Man! that was a great job!!

anyone notice that in that collage for Best picture there were no clips from LOTR (unless I'm mistaken), which ran away with the awards that year. There were several other notables missing as well. I realize they had to select a finite number of clips but one's that killed on Oscar nite should have been included. just a passing observation.

I thought Sean Penn was so good in Milk and deserved the Oscar. I don't think Hollywood just gave him the Oscar because he was playing a gay man. Personally, I think Micky Rourke sucked ass in The Wrestler. I thought the film and Rourke were overrated. I also thought the directing was trying really hard to be cool or different or whatever but failed.

As for The Lord of the Rings, it probably should have been shown in the clips but it won all those Oscars in 2004, not last year.

Spencer
02-24-2009, 06:03 AM
This random review pretty much sums up my general thoughts on the Best Actor thing:

I enjoyed the story of Harvey Milk, and I'm ashamed to admit that I knew little about the man whose life it was based on. Yet given Hollywood's love of all things liberal, I remember thinking to myself that Rourke was in big trouble the moment I watched Penn kiss another man in the movie. I'm only half joking.

Rourke's performance was outstanding. I can't imagine another actor playing the part of Randy "The Ram" Robinson as well as Mickey did. Meanwhile, Penn's performance was also strong, but it won't stick with me the way Rourke's will. Penn played the part well, but I never got the feeling that another actor couldn't possibly play the part as well as Penn did.

Spencer
02-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Um... I don't suppose you'd like to clarify that comment on the "Alternative Lifestyle folks"....

.... Milk was a historical film... based on a true story, about an actual person who was influential in the Gay and Lesbian community. Same as Patton was a historical film about WWII. Would you suggest that the Academy was then the War Mongering folks who decided what was socially important then?

:lol: Touche on the Patton thing, but, in keeping with the "Hollywood is a whole different breed" thing......

Best Actor in a Leading Role- 1971

George C. Scott Refused to accept the nomination and the award, because he did not feel himself to be in any competition with other actors.

Frank McCarthy, the film's producer, accepted the award on Scott's behalf at the ceremony, but returned it to the Academy the next day in keeping with Scott's wishes.

I don't want to put words in merlin's mouth, but I think he's commenting on the tendency of Hollywood to push what it considers important issues. You know, the "important movie" thing I keep babbling about. :lol: The worst of this was when Christopher Reeve allowed himself to be used as a prop at the awards 10 or so years back to further this mindset. I admire the man and his courage, but that scene turned my stomach. I'll see if I can find a clip.

jayson
02-24-2009, 06:14 AM
I think that review is, at least in part, completely ludicrous. Whether or not another actor could play either role is subjective and really not something that can be known outside of completing reshooting both films with new actors, but the suggestion that Penn won the Oscar because he played a gay character is absolutely preposterous.

For all the talk of this so-called liberal conspiracy on the part of Hollywood to push Penn over Rourke because of the social conscious message of Milk, there seems to be an element missing, and that is this... The Wrestler is just as much a socially conscious film with a message about the working class in America. If Rourke won would we hear a bunch of bitching and moaning about Hollywood's liberal agenda to portray the working man as the victim of a capitalist society? I sincerely doubt it.

Spencer
02-24-2009, 06:21 AM
For all the talk of this so-called liberal conspiracy on the part of Hollywood to push Penn over Rourke because of the social conscious message of Milk, there seems to be an element missing, and that is this... The Wrestler is just as much a socially conscious film with a message about the working class in America. If Rourke won would we hear a bunch of bitching and moaning about Hollywood's liberal agenda to portray the working man as the victim of a capitalist society? I sincerely doubt it.

I guess that's where we differ, because I didn't see that in The Wrestler. I saw a man finally admitting his own mistakes and owning up to them, only to find out that it may be too late to correct most of them, and that he comes to accept that that fact is his fault too.

jayson
02-24-2009, 06:23 AM
I don't think either interpretation is mutually exclusive. :)

turtlex
02-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Thing is... I have no problem with "important movies".... because, you know, some of those important movies are freaking masterpieces... How about Shindler's List... would that be an "important movie".

My question to Merlin was the putting forth of the "Alternative Lifestyle folks at the Academy" info... as if there was some kind of hidden gay agenda at the Academy.

Just because Milk is relevant right now, does that mean it's an important film? Can't it just be a good movie with an Academy Award winning performance and script?

I agree with Jayson - if the proposed info is that Penn won just because he played a gay character... then Heath should have won for Brokeback and he didn't. And every person every playing a gay character should not only be nominated but should also win.

And honestly, just because this is a come-back for Rourke, and given what he's gone though to get where he is ... that info shouldn't be relevant. The award is supposed to be based on the performance, not on the actors life history.

Spencer
02-24-2009, 06:32 AM
I think that review is, at least in part, completely ludicrous. Whether or not another actor could play either role is subjective and really not something that can be known outside of completing reshooting both films with new actors, but the suggestion that Penn won the Oscar because he played a gay character is absolutely preposterous.

Well, by my count, Rourke won 13 awards, tied with Penn for 2 (San Francisco and Boston Critics Awards), and Penn won 2 awards, The labor union's award, (Screen Actors Guild), and the Academy Award. I could be wrong, but it seems that the mindset of the groups handing out the awards had something to do with that.

On a lighter note, which would you rather have as an acceptance speech, Sean Penn pleading for equal rights, or whatever the hell Mickey Rourke might say? :lol:

I agree with you on the subjectivity of "no other actor could play that role". Something that I considered when thinking about who should win is the bravery that Rourke showed in taking this role, knowing how close to his situation it was and how he'd have to bare his soul in order to give the part its due. I do admit that considering that factor may be just as wrong as considering whether or not a role is socially conscious, so I forfeit that part of the argument. :lol:

fernandito
02-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't seen either movie, so I can't debate over which actors performance was better, but I do have to question the academy's decision sometimes.

I read a lot of reviews from both films, fans and critics alike, and the general consensus was that Mickey Rourke blew away all of his competition in his race for the Oscar. I know Sean Penn's performance was good, but I never once read the word Great attached to any of those reviews. And of course, the fact that Penn got that little part in his speech in about 'equal rights' instead of talking about how happy he was that he got his Oscar doesn't help either.

And don't even get me started with how badly the Academy fucked over The Dark Knight. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't have won the Oscar for best picture, but to not even get f'n nominated??! Are you kidding me?! One of the most acclaimed movies of the year, with all the script, technical, and theme elements to back it up, and not even a nod?

Spencer
02-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Thing is... I have no problem with "important movies".... because, you know, some of those important movies are freaking masterpieces... How about Shindler's List... would that be an "important movie".

and I would counter with the fact that Spielberg didn't win a damn thing at the Oscars until he made that "important movie". :lol:

My question to Merlin was the putting forth of the "Alternative Lifestyle folks at the Academy" info... as if there was some kind of hidden gay agenda at the Academy.

I don't think there's a gay agenda so much as a desire to affect societal change. People want to be remembered for things they did, not stories they told. So, if you can tell a story that is remembered and causes people and/or society to change their ways, that's the goal. (That's what that Reeve clip is all about, I haven't found it cause I've been typing :lol: ) If people aren't affected by said movie, then you give it awards and make people notice it's out there, then hopefully they go watch and are affected. That's not to say that every issue movie sucks and needs a lift from Hollywood, far from it, but it does happen.

Just because Milk is relevant right now, does that mean it's an important film? Can't it just be a good movie with an Academy Award winning performance and script?

It can, I just don't think it was. Worthy of nomination, sure, but winning? Debatable, but hey, Penn did win that debate at the Oscars.

I agree with Jayson - if the proposed info is that Penn won just because he played a gay character... then Heath should have won for Brokeback and he didn't. And every person every playing a gay character should not only be nominated but should also win.

Now, I do NOT feel this way, but I want to prepare you for the lame argument that Ledger's nomination was the "nose in the tent", and Penn's award was the camel taking over the tent.

And honestly, just because this is a come-back for Rourke, and given what he's gone though to get where he is ... that info shouldn't be relevant. The award is supposed to be based on the performance, not on the actors life history.

I discussed that in my previous post, you win that one. :lol:

jayson
02-24-2009, 06:50 AM
And of course, the fact that Penn got that little part in his speech in about 'equal rights' instead of talking about how happy he was that he got his Oscar doesn't help either.

On a lighter note, which would you rather have as an acceptance speech, Sean Penn pleading for equal rights, or whatever the hell Mickey Rourke might say?

I'd want to hear whoever won talking about whatever it was they wanted to say. I agree that the parallels between Rourke's character and his own career are exceptionally interesting. It made for a great hour of conversation last week when he was on Charlie Rose's show. However, I also find interesting what Penn had to say. The "I'm so glad people like me" speech wasn't interesting when Sally Field gave it and it isn't interesting now. Of course they're happy they won. I know I am in the minority, but I don't begrudge anyone for speaking their minds about any issue at any time. I'm not really sure how you can win an award for playing Harvey Milk and not talk about equal rights.

Spencer
02-24-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm not really sure how you can win an award for playing Harvey Milk and not talk about equal rights.

Well, if you COULD, wouldn't that make you a great, um.. , ACTOR? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :rock:

jayson
02-24-2009, 06:57 AM

It'd make you that, or perhaps a robot. :P

fernandito
02-24-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm not really sure how you can win an award for playing Harvey Milk and not talk about equal rights.

Well, if you COULD, wouldn't that make you a great, um.. , ACTOR? :lol:

Technically, Yes... BUT! Remember, this is Sean Penn we're talking about here!

:P

turtlex
02-24-2009, 08:46 AM
On a kind of funny note : though Jackman made a comment about MR and bleeping him out... have you ever seen Sean Penn interviewed or his commentary on anything?

I half expected him to walk up to the podium with a cigarette in his hand and then have the bleeping-out commence! He's not exactly known for restraining his language... which was part of the joke when he called people "son's of guns"....

fernandito
02-24-2009, 08:52 AM
I really liked Jackman as the host, he did a fantastic job.

turtlex
02-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I agree, Feev. I had very low expectations, but honestly really enjoyed his hosting.

fernandito
02-24-2009, 08:58 AM
My favorite part came at the end of his intro :

"I am Wolveriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiineeeeee!!!"

I now have the need to quote that on a daily basis :lol:

turtlex
02-24-2009, 08:59 AM

High Five ! :rock:

Me, too !!

idk, my bff jill?
02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Ever since Oscar night, I have become a huge fan of Hugh Jackman. :lol:
That guy can do it all! Comedy, acting, dancing, singing! Anything!
Plus, yeah. He's fucking Wolverine. :cool:

That's very true, and yeah, every winner has the right to say whatever he or she wants to say, as long as the speech is kept appropriate at least.
I thought Penn's speech and the writer's speech were great. It's good to have such a positive message spread through something all kinds of people watch, specially younger audiences like the ones the writer was addressing in his speech.

sarah
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM

High Five ! :rock:

Me, too !!

double high fives! That was hilarious. :lol:

jayson
02-24-2009, 05:26 PM
That's very true, and yeah, every winner has the right to say whatever he or she wants to say, as long as the speech is kept appropriate at least.
I thought Penn's speech and the writer's speech were great. It's good to have such a positive message spread through something all kinds of people watch, specially younger audiences like the ones the writer was addressing in his speech.

Exactly Paula :couple:
Maybe it's because I idolize Gandhi and King and Mark Twain, but I appreciate people who speak their minds, whether or not I agree. In this case I did. Penn's speech and the writer's were both excellent. And for the record, I like Sean Penn for a lot more than Spicoli (though I love Spicoli!)

Spencer
02-24-2009, 10:12 PM

Yeah, i saved that number on DVD. :lol:

Spencer
02-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Gandhi

Which brings me back to 1982 and why Spielberg didn't win a damn thing before he made his important movie. :lol:

turtlex
02-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah, but if you go by that framework... Scorsese didn't win for Goodfellas! Or heck, anything before that - freaking Raging Bull !!!

Finally Martin won, but not for an "important" film ( actually it was for The Departed, which wasn't half as good as Goodfellas ).

Spencer
02-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah, but if you go by that framework... Scorsese didn't win for Goodfellas! Or heck, anything before that - freaking Raging Bull !!!

Finally Martin won, but not for an "important" film ( actually it was for The Departed, which wasn't half as good as Goodfellas ).

Ture, I did love The Departed though. I agree with it not being as good as Goodfellas. I thought 2 films got royally snubbed for best picture, The Dark Knight, of course, but also WALL-E, which, animated or not, was one of the best films of the year.

fernandito
02-26-2009, 10:23 AM
I thought 2 films got royally snubbed for best picture, The Dark Knight, of course, but also WALL-E, which, animated or not, was one of the best films of the year.

THIS.

jayson
02-26-2009, 10:26 AM
The Departed good, Goodfellas classic.

fernandito
02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
The Oscar that Scorsese won for The Departed is the Academys' way of apologizing to him for wrongly snubbing him of an Oscar for Goodfellas.

turtlex
02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
The Departed, was okay, but IMHO it isn't even on the same page as Goodfellas.

ETA : feev, you're probably right, and really - that sucks.

Spencer
02-26-2009, 10:40 AM
The Departed, was okay, but IMHO it isn't even on the same page as Goodfellas.

ETA : feev, you're probably right, and really - that sucks.

I agree on all counts here.

jayson
02-26-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a friend who insisted upon first seeing The Departed that it was better than Goodfellas. I think he's recanted upon further viewings but I still temper any further movie advice from him with the knowledge that he once said that.

turtlex
02-26-2009, 11:13 AM
As well you should !

Django
02-26-2009, 12:19 PM
The Oscar that Scorsese won for The Departed is the Academys' way of apologizing to him for wrongly snubbing him of an Oscar for Goodfellas.

I'm just glad they didn't apologize to him earlier by giving it to The Aviator.

Anyway, The Departed was really good and, along with Babel, probably the best that year. They would've been real assholes if they hadn't given it to him then.

Still Servant
02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
I know we are almost a week removed from Oscar night, but I'd like to add my 1 cent (times are tough).

Overall, I thought the show was more enjoyable than in past years. I thought Jackman did a nice job, although he seemed to disappear during the second half of the show. I liked the introductions for the acting awards. I would have liked clips to be shown as well though.

For years I've been saying that Oscar night should not only be a celebration of the films that are nominated, but it should be a celebration of the year in film in general. So I really enjoyed the montages they put together for comedy, action and animated. I like seeing clips from films I've seen this year, even if they weren't "Oscar worthy."

My main problem with Oscar night in recent years is lack of suspense for the main categories. There's really nothing they can do about it, but it's no fun watching an awards show when you know who's going to win.

Last year with No Country For Old Men and this year with Slumdog. Javier Bardem and Heath Ledger. Daniel Day Lewis last year. I just hope next year is a stronger year in film and maybe we will have tighter races in those categories.

Oh, I got 18 of the 24 categories correct. Not bad.

I love Oscar night and I was sad to see it end.

sarah
02-27-2009, 07:32 AM
The Departed good, Goodfellas classic.

completely agree.

exactly. I'm glad they gave it to him for the Departed. It was good enough to win, imo.