PDA

View Full Version : Writing In First Person

Mattrick
07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Currently I'm writing a book called 'Rabid Euphoria', I may post it on here (on .net), not sure what kind of members are here and there at the same time.

My next project, called 'The Catacombs' is a psychological horror character piece. It's about a man, six months after his wife died in a horrific trail derailment. He just inherited a house from a distant relative of Claire (his wife) who'd just died. He decides to move in, fix it up and sell it since his writer's block has killed all ambition.

A few weeks pass and while cleaning out the basement he discovers a door behind some boxes. There are weird hieroglyphics on it. He opens it and finds a crawlspace that leads into an ancient, underground cave system. Once he's in however, the door locks and he cannot go back.

Inside he will be faced with his fears and all that he has tried so desperately to forget in order to get out.

My problem is that it will in first person, which I've never written. Does anyone know any tips for writing in first person? It's much more introspective using first person and will be required for the book.

Any suggestions.

OchrisO
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
I have never really written anything in first person. I have always wanted to and have been thinking about trying it lately, but I have no story in my head that suits it.

That story sounds interesting, though. I'd definately like to read it once you get the wheels turning.

Daghain
07-17-2007, 07:49 PM
The only advice I can give you is to try and BE your character. Act like you're the one talking to your audience. That may help. Or not. :lol:

Mattrick
07-17-2007, 09:33 PM
See that's the biggest problem for me. I don't want to write it as if talking, the character telling a story. Then obviously he can't die if he's telling you. I've been mulling and will need to work on a way to change the style--

Style I want:

- To write as if the thoughts are in his head at the time. Real time almost. Have narration at time but more in the way you are the brain processing everything. Taking everything in for the first time. Real time. It would be very difficult.

- To write without using 'I' all the time.

If anyone knows any books written similar to that I want to read it. This next project I really want to get perfect.

OchrisO
07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
If you want suspense as to wether or not the main character is going to die, first person may not be the best choice. I supopose you could have some sort of twist in that the narrator is telling the story and the reader assumes the whole time that they live, but in the end, the story is being told from beyond in some manner, through a medium or something like that. It would be difficult to pull it off in a way taht doesn't seem like a cop out, though.

Frunobulax
07-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Don't try to think when writing dialogue. Let it come as a normal conversation, and explore an environment as you might when you explore a new house. These always work for me.

Daghain
07-17-2007, 10:14 PM
I think Fruno has it. And, even if your character dies, you can write in first person in past tense. :D

Mattrick
07-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Burn. Eyes burn.

Computer monitor is too bright. Any longer I'm going to die. Even my knuckles are stiff when I move them. My back hurts and it's hard to think. Maybe I should take a break. Nothing good is coming from me today. Standing up hurts, goddamn.

This place really needs to get cleaned up. My foot kicks an empty beer can, must be from last night. Never got around to cleaning it. Maybe I should hire a maid.

Damn kitchen light is always so hard to find in the dark. The light burns when it comes on. My hand shields me from the light. It also shakes. I grab it. I can't see it moving but I feel it, a nasty twitch.

Maybe I'm losing it? No, I'm not. Everything is fine.

It would be something like that, only much more worked over. Do you think that would work? Considering what the books about it's really important for it be as much inside his head as possible. I may have to go traditional first person, which would be fine as well but I'd like it to stand out.

Daghain
07-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Personally, I really like that. I'd go with it. Get in his head. You'll figure it out. :D

OchrisO
07-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Perhaps it could be told as a journal or something like that?

Frunobulax
07-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Mattrick, that shorter example is a great stylistic template. I'd suggest fine tuning it then using it as your basis.

Mattrick
07-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks a lot. The writing style has to be precise as it's essential to the entire themes of the story. Also, I'd like to write something complete unique in terms of style. Something that stands out and impacts differently.

PedroPáramo
08-08-2007, 01:01 PM
See that's the biggest problem for me. I don't want to write it as if talking, the character telling a story. Then obviously he can't die if he's telling you. I've been mulling and will need to work on a way to change the style--

Who said he can't?
There is one book (the one of my nick name, Pedro Páramo) in which the narrator (first person) is talking on past....and at the end results that he is dead, and is telling his storie to another dead person. Anyway that sounds kinds bizzarre, but the point is that you must know what to do. Do the first person on present (like on Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller) is must difficult. Anyway do what you want:cyclops: