PDA

View Full Version : Very Superstitious--writings on the wall...

Matt
07-13-2007, 08:59 AM
So today is Friday the 13th.

Anyone superstitious?

Personally, I have never really bought into the whole idea but its fun to talk about. :cyclops:

She-Oy
07-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I throw salt over my shoulder when I spill it, that's about it. And I always forget which shoulder is correct, so I do it over both. LOL

But certain days don't freak me out.

Jean
07-13-2007, 09:52 AM
great idea for a thread.

I am not superstitious: I am Christian, you see. But I love playing with different cultural contexts, so I sometimes kinda pretend to myself to be superstitious, and knock on wood, or perform some other rituals that place me within a cultural tradition belonging to which I want to experience at a given moment; very much like eating Japanese food if you're studying Japanese. It's fun as a game, but I would never take it seriously.

13 is my favorite number, by the way.

And Friday 13 is a good pretext to remember some history, for example, the famous arrest of Jacques de Mollay and the rest of the Knight Templar gang in October of 1307!

Matt
07-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Exactly--I love the basis of this stuff.

Unlucky for templars, maybe not for anyone else.

Aesculapius
07-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Numbers are dumb. :angry:

Daghain
07-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Not superstitious at all. I joke about it being an unlucky day, but I don't think it is any more than any other day. :)

Odetta
07-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I touch wood...

(leave it alone people, just leave it alone)

Matt
07-13-2007, 01:11 PM
You can touch my wood all you like Odetta. :blush:

Randall Flagg
07-13-2007, 01:18 PM
I do not suffer from paraskavedekatriaphobia.
I do on occasion have a hangover.

Odetta
07-13-2007, 02:07 PM
I touch wood...

(leave it alone people, just leave it alone)

You can touch my wood all you like Odetta. :blush:
[stern teacher voice]

ahem... did you NOT read what I just posted?
[/stern teacher voice]

Matt
07-13-2007, 02:18 PM
I can never leave wood alone :lol:

Aesculapius
07-13-2007, 03:14 PM
I can never leave wood alone :lol:

So, how far are you from Vegas?
:ninja:

:lol:

Daghain
07-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Good one Aesculapius! :)

Darkthoughts
07-15-2007, 07:30 AM
My eldest was born on a Saturday 13th - had I been in labour on a Friday the 13th I might be down with it being unlucky :D But no, I'm not superstitious.

ZoNeSeeK
07-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Darkthoughts: so your placenta didnt turn into an arch blood demon and bite the head off your OBGYN?

Darkthoughts
07-18-2007, 09:37 AM
No,...but I turned into a banshee and nearly bit the head off my husband :D

Matt
07-18-2007, 09:42 AM
See...Ayla never taught that. :unsure:

Darkthoughts
07-18-2007, 09:45 AM

red head dread
07-23-2007, 06:03 PM
My sister was induced. My parents could pick from the ides of March or the 13th. They went with the 13th.

I am somewhat superstitious.

PedroPáramo
08-17-2007, 03:02 PM
In fact here in Mexico, people has more fear of Tuesday the 13th than of Friday.

I know, where are kinda weird :lol:
We have 100 names for the same thing!

Darkthoughts
08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Do you know why that is - why its Tuesday instead of Friday?

Jean
08-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Sergio, is it true that they say, en martes ni te cases ni te embarques, ni de tu cases te separes? What's so very wrong with Tuesdays then?

MonteGss
08-18-2007, 07:32 AM
I married on a Tuesday! :o

tamez
08-18-2007, 09:05 AM
i'm getting married on the ides of march :ninja:

Matt
08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
My kid is getting married next weekend!!

**runs**

Darkthoughts
08-18-2007, 12:16 PM

That is so cool!! You should put "Beware the brides of March" on your invites :lol:

Jon
09-12-2007, 08:31 AM
My only superstition; If I stop breathing, I may die.

LadyHitchhiker
07-13-2008, 06:54 AM
The only thing I do is "lift your feet over the railroad tracks and the one you love will love you back"... besides that our railroad tracks are so tall you can't help but have your feet bounce.

Girlystevedave
07-13-2008, 06:58 AM
I always do the whole "knock on wood" thing....I don't even think I really put much belief into it. It's just become habit now. :)
As far as bad luck on Friday the 13th, nah..I've never really believed in that. Well, I better not..I got married on Friday the 13th. :unsure:

LadyHitchhiker
07-13-2008, 07:02 AM
I don't even believe the lifting the feet thing. It's just fun.. :D

cozener
07-14-2008, 11:43 AM
My only superstition; If I stop breathing, I may die.Some people'll believe anything. :rolleyes:

Y'know that I think about it I don't believe that anything particularly bad has ever happened to me on a Friday the 13th.

Ves'Ka Gan
07-14-2008, 12:16 PM
My ex husband was born on Friday the 13th, so in that way I suppose it was a little unlucky for me...

Other than that, I am not superstitious. In some ways I wish I was because I suppose false comfort is better than none at all, but no wood-knocking or salt throwing for this girl.

jayson
07-14-2008, 12:22 PM
13 has always been one of my fav numbers (along with 9). now 19 has taken on a special significance for me as well, but i have always loved the number 13. i don't personally see how a number can be "unlucky" but i also believe you make your own luck.

stone, rose, unfound door
07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
To tell you the truth, I'm really superstitious. I know most things they say are stupid, like that thing about salt or touching wood or even Friday 13th, but I'm scared by ghosts for example. We have lots of stories about them here and of course, I believe them all...
I've never even tried seances because I was sure it was gonna work. Same thing goes for the "Bloody Mary" legend and I never check the scenery when I'm in a car at night, especially in rural areas as we have that legend called "La Dame blanche" (which would be translated as "the white lady" though I don't know if it would mean anything to any of you). I know it might all be all lies, but I can't help it.

HanzouNorak
07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
friday the thirteenth has always been my lucky day for some reason

Woofer
07-15-2008, 03:15 AM
I was born on a Friday the 13th, and I have the worst luck of anyone I know. Make of that what you will.

Ka-mai
07-15-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't say certain things because I'm afraid I'll jinx the situation. This is most apparent when I watch baseball. Once I said "we totally have this game" and the Red Sox proceeded to lose spectacularly.

So I don't do that anymore. :lol: I know it's stupid, but it makes me feel better.

Ves'Ka Gan
07-16-2008, 05:51 PM
To tell you the truth, I'm really superstitious. I know most things they say are stupid, like that thing about salt or touching wood or even Friday 13th, but I'm scared by ghosts for example. We have lots of stories about them here and of course, I believe them all...
I've never even tried seances because I was sure it was gonna work. Same thing goes for the "Bloody Mary" legend and I never check the scenery when I'm in a car at night, especially in rural areas as we have that legend called "La Dame blanche" (which would be translated as "the white lady" though I don't know if it would mean anything to any of you). I know it might all be all lies, but I can't help it.

I don't think that's the same as being superstitious. Maybe I'm wrong--but I believe in the paranormal, but I am not superstitious.

I think superstitious means that you think doing or not doing certain things causes events. Or that certian things are bad or good luck.

In other words, I'm screwed. Because I believe in ghosts, but I don't believe in any of the stuff that's supposed to protect me...

Ka-mai
07-16-2008, 06:10 PM

That is so cool!! You should put "Beware the brides of March" on your invites :lol:

This totally cracked me up and almost makes me want to get married on the Ides of March just to steal that idea. :P

stone, rose, unfound door
07-18-2008, 01:00 AM

I don't think that's the same as being superstitious. Maybe I'm wrong--but I believe in the paranormal, but I am not superstitious.

I think superstitious means that you think doing or not doing certain things causes events. Or that certian things are bad or good luck.

In other words, I'm screwed. Because I believe in ghosts, but I don't believe in any of the stuff that's supposed to protect me...

The Oxford dictionary of English says: "superstition: 1) excessive willingness to believe in the supernatural; 2) a widely held but irrational belief in supernatural influences" (origin: Latin)
so believing in ghosts is pretty much like believing that Friday 13th is a bad day or that walking under a ladder is going to make you unlucky. Anyway, I don't mind being that superstitious: I'm protecting myself from the ghosts that surround us by not calling them.