PDA

View Full Version : The *declining* Stephen King Market

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dolan
07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I was thinking of selling my DT set (3-7) matching numbers...but the market is so friggin soft, id barely be able to pay the ebay fees.

Anyone else have theories on how the King Market will improve? Maybe with the revised Gunslinger?

NeedfulKings
07-12-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure that the revised Gunslinger will improve the market. Most folks won't hear about it. The comics may be bringing a new group into the DT world--that might help.

The DT market (since I've been watching over the last couple of years) does fluctuate. With e-bay, it's not always about the market, it's often about the timing.

I've seen a 2nd Edition Gunslinger go for $100 one day and a comparable copy go a week later for $230.

A 1st can go for $700 one day and $420 the next.

It's wild.

Randall Flagg
07-13-2007, 07:25 AM
I think the market is very soft, and I don't see anything-Revised Gunslinger, the passing of King giving it a real boost. Only my opinion, but most people selling now who bought at the paek are going to lose money.
I agree on the e-bay timing thing, but the higher the overall price, the less timing has an effect. If an item sells one week at $100 and two weks later for $200 the pertentage difference is high, but the real difference is only a 100 bucks.
I don't think you seee that type of percentage fluctuation on a $2,500 item.

Dolan
07-13-2007, 07:33 AM
But do you think that high profile items are still keeping their price? Maybe not the way it was a few years ago - but lets say we see a set of 1-6 Green Mile proofs...do you think it would go for the price tag it deserves?

Randall Flagg
07-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Short answer-no.
I bet The Asbestos Firestarter that Gunks sold went for far less than he expected-to the delight of the purchaser.

Cutter
07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Short answer-no.
I bet The Asbestos Firestarter that Gunks sold went for far less than he expected-to the delight of the purchaser.
I agree, no.

Damn I can't remember who the bookseller is. Very Fine Books, maybe? just listed a S/N Salem's Lot S/N The Stand and Transgressions all at about a third off what they've been asking for the past year. Reason being, no one has bought the books at the price they set well over a year ago.

If your selling that stinks Dolan, but as a buyer I'm glad the market is soft. King items are too high priced. $1,800 for a S/N Salem's lot is just ridiculous, imo.

Dolan
07-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I haven't decided to sell yet. Doesn't mean I wouldn't entertain the idea of selling - but because of the market, I am not dying to trade it out.

Plus, with the new Gunslinger coming out, it might cause me to keep them.

Who knows. I need some cash for something I want - and the DT s/l books are something I didwant, but no longer feel the need to keep around.

Thus my thoughts on selling...

NeedfulKings
07-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Is this your only set, Dolan? It seems to be a holy grail of DT collectors. I don't have a single s/l, and likely won't for a while. But, I love the books I have! :)

Though the market as a whole may not strengthen, there's always the chance that you'll catch a pocket of hype (as you said with the new Gunslinger coming out).

Good luck!

Patrick
07-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Bill, it seems like the S/Ls of books 5, 6 and 7 would be pretty easy to come by on the cheap.

NeedfulKings
07-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Bill, it seems like the S/Ls of books 5, 6 and 7 would be pretty easy to come by on the cheap.

Yes, comparitively, they definitely are. I'm always looking for a real bargain. I'm a cheap-ass! :cyclops:

Dolan
07-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Is this your only set, Dolan? It seems to be a holy grail of DT collectors. I don't have a single s/l, and likely won't for a while. But, I love the books I have! :)

Though the market as a whole may not strengthen, there's always the chance that you'll catch a pocket of hype (as you said with the new Gunslinger coming out).

Good luck!

This is my only set - but it's not something that is a holy grail for me...thus the interest in selling...but...I dunnp

NeedfulKings
07-13-2007, 07:13 PM
*off topic* what is your grail? I'm sure you've said it before, but I can't remember.

A matching set (3-7) may yield more if sold individually. A collector would get the first and then battle hard for the remaining 4. I know a set sold (in individual auctions) less than a year ago. I don't remember the specifics, but the same buyer wound up with most of them. But, not all....

It goes without saying, but if you decide to sell, let us here know.

Randall Flagg
07-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Roy from Badmoon books is offering copies #178 editions 4-7 for a BIN price of $2,900. That would make your 3-7 (assuming matching #'s) worth ~4K in this market.

Dolan
07-16-2007, 11:54 AM
*off topic* what is your grail? I'm sure you've said it before, but I can't remember.

A matching set (3-7) may yield more if sold individually. A collector would get the first and then battle hard for the remaining 4. I know a set sold (in individual auctions) less than a year ago. I don't remember the specifics, but the same buyer wound up with most of them. But, not all....

It goes without saying, but if you decide to sell, let us here know.

Well, my grail is the S/L of The Regulators or The Stand. Not much of a grail, but not having either isnt making me uneasy or unhappy - but if that means selling these books in order to get one of those (or both), then so be it.

I would entertain the thought of a sale if someone is serious about it. Randall's quote of $4000 is very realistic since I bought 3-7 and a PC copy of #2 for $5,000.

Really...it sits on my book shelf and I just dont care about it. I can look at every one of my books and miss it if I didnt have it. These, I wouldnt feel bad about selling.

The only reason I bought them was because a guy was going to sell them, and if he didnt sell them, he was going to split them up. I would rather keep them than split them...

So while I am not formally selling them yet, if anyone is interested, do let me know. I am willing to trade The Stand/Regulators as well...and work out a cash deal for the rest. Who knows. :orely:

Randall Flagg
07-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Sadly, a 3-7 DT series received no bids with an opening of $3,000.
E-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230152289190&rd=1&rd=1)

NeedfulKings
07-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I wish I had some spare cash! I'm not in a hurry, but I keep watching.

wizardsrainbow
10-15-2007, 12:33 PM
The market is as soft as it ever has been in my memory.:cry:

Randall Flagg
10-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes it is, but some items seem to still hold strong prices. A few that come to mind are (feel free to copy this list and add to it):

The Regulator S/L (I used to have 3, I wish I'd kept them all)
Creepshow
RageThoughts people? What other SK books still seem to command good prices?

Ari_Racing
10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
lettered From a buick 8 maybe.

super sam
10-15-2007, 02:01 PM
It´s going to be interesting to see what the price will be on rusty3691 E-bay auctions.

Worldwide shipping with starting price on 0.99$

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrusty3691

Airtraffic
10-15-2007, 02:51 PM
as RF stated I think that even the death of king would only bring a moderate rasie in price for a short period. I think the real price incress will be years done the road.

Matt
10-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Maybe if we get a successful movie?

I got out bid on the auction I was involved in :(

jhanic
10-15-2007, 04:47 PM
It´s going to be interesting to see what the price will be on rusty3691 E-bay auctions.

Welcome to these boards, super sam!!

John

Randall Flagg
10-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Quick look at prices from the beginning, and just a few years ago:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/King_market.JPG

Patrick
10-15-2007, 10:08 PM

Welcome to these boards, super sam!

John

Yes, welcome!

There sure are a lot of matching numbers in that collection up for auction.

super sam
10-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome.
It´s nice to be here :)

Wow, some of the books have a 30%-40% lower market value than only 2 years ago.

Salems lot 1500$ to 900$ -40%
Cujo 1000$ to 650$ -35%
Six stories 1250$ to 750$ -40%
Eyes otd. 1000$ to 650$ -35%

wizardsrainbow
10-16-2007, 03:36 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Within the past few months, I sold a PC Six Stories for $600 and a flatsigned 1st edition Carrie (NF/NF, not ex-library) for only $1000 to Stu at Bett's. Several shrinkwrapped copies of DoTT Grant firsts at $35 each. He wouldn't even make me an offer on 2 S/L Black Houses, saying they would go for less than issue price. And the one that hurts me the most is Gunkslinger sold a complete same-number DT set for less than $10k. These were going at $15,000-$20,000 just 2 years ago.

Airtraffic
10-16-2007, 05:40 AM
Yeah, It really soft right now. It would have been much better if the seires would have continued.

Ari_Racing
10-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Another one that decreased a lot is W&G 1st

Airtraffic
10-16-2007, 06:11 AM
how much is that one going for now?

wizardsrainbow
10-16-2007, 06:22 AM
how much is that one going for now?

Once in awhile you can get it for right around $100. For months it held at $200, but has been steadily declining over the last year.

jhanic
10-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Grant Wizard and Glass (http://cgi.ebay.com/Wizard-and-Glass-by-Dave-McKean-Stephen-King-1997_W0QQitemZ120171925119QQihZ002QQcategoryZ377QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

But tippy4 is current high bidder.

John

Ari_Racing
10-16-2007, 07:07 AM
I saw one go for 75 last month.

flair
10-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I was going to go for that W&G but the zero feedback seller drove me away. I think of this "soft" market as a perfect time to be collecting. I still haven't started on anything yet, but I have been eyeballing everything and getting a good idea on what I want. I'm trying to stay away because once I start I won't stop, but I know eventually I will give in anyways.

wizardsrainbow
10-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I was going to go for that W&G but the zero feedback seller drove me away. I think of this "soft" market as a perfect time to be collecting. I still haven't started on anything yet, but I have been eyeballing everything and getting a good idea on what I want. I'm trying to stay away because once I start I won't stop, but I know eventually I will give in anyways.

Flair-
Welcome to the Collector's area. And, you are right, collecting is an addiction!

Matt
10-16-2007, 11:37 AM
I totally agree with flair's comment, it really is a buyers market right now.

I promised my wife I would stick to DT stuff only :lol:

as opposed to SK's other books

Rahfa
10-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Actually, I think the other books are a better bet...the DT series, being complete, isn't something people are going to start in the middle of, but you can always buy and sell an Eyes of the Dragon, for instance..

The old limiteds will be okay, though not nearly their peak...it's the newer ones like Black House or Colorado Kid that won't see any meaningful appreciation for a long time...

I don't see anything, movie or otherwise, helping the market in a dramatic way...I think it's going to stay this way for the forseeable future, with the only increase maybe a normal adjustment for inflation. Sucks, but oh well, and I say that as someone with a pretty sizable collection, so believe me I don't think it's very cool...haha! Actually, I've been paring my collection down to the core essentials, and as long as you don't need to sell, I think you'd be okay selling.

Matt
10-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Thank you Rahfa--that was some very useful information

Asterisco
10-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Here in Argentina the opposite is happening. King books are more expensive than ever before...

Storyslinger
10-17-2007, 08:59 AM
:orely:
Intresting

Dolan
10-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Actually, I think the other books are a better bet...the DT series, being complete, isn't something people are going to start in the middle of, but you can always buy and sell an Eyes of the Dragon, for instance..

The old limiteds will be okay, though not nearly their peak...it's the newer ones like Black House or Colorado Kid that won't see any meaningful appreciation for a long time...

I don't see anything, movie or otherwise, helping the market in a dramatic way...I think it's going to stay this way for the forseeable future, with the only increase maybe a normal adjustment for inflation. Sucks, but oh well, and I say that as someone with a pretty sizable collection, so believe me I don't think it's very cool...haha! Actually, I've been paring my collection down to the core essentials, and as long as you don't need to sell, I think you'd be okay selling.

Good post. I agree...

Patrick
10-17-2007, 03:22 PM
... I would stick to DT stuff only :lol:

as opposed to SK's other books

Yeah, I told myself that when I started, too. :lol:

An addiction is an addiction. :doh:

NeedfulKings
10-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Me too, Patrick! I started small....and plan to go BIG someday! ;) I'm hooked.

Less than 2 years ago I paid $300 for all 7 Grant Editions, with the Gunslinger being a price-clipped 2nd edition and the final three in the series being the Grant/Scribners.

I still think that with W&G and the Gunslinger, I got my money's worth and could recoup if need be.

I admit that I WANT more. I feel bad for those who invested when the market was strong. I will still "buy into" that market one day.

Cutter
10-18-2007, 10:26 AM
I think she was mentioned in the ebay Auctions thread, but the person who I bought the Twice the Power proof (and I was the only bid) has been trying to sell her collection it seems. She's had probably 95% of her auctions go through with no bids, because the prices were too high. And I've seen her re-list some items at a cheaper price and they still go through with no bids.

Although I've seen a few go through with quite a few bids. A signed Needful Things I think had about 5 bidders and was at about $350 when I checked, but it seems for one sale, another 5 go unsold.

wizardsrainbow
10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I think she was mentioned in the ebay Auctions thread, but the person who I bought the Twice the Power proof (and I was the only bid) has been trying to sell her collection it seems. She's had probably 95% of her auctions go through with no bids, because the prices were too high. And I've seen her re-list some items at a cheaper price and they still go through with no bids.

Although I've seen a few go through with quite a few bids. A signed Needful Things I think had about 5 bidders and was at about $350 when I checked, but it seems for one sale, another 5 go unsold.

Yes, you are referring to Tinah3, who hails from lovely Canada to our North. At one point masybe 4-5 years ago, she was buying everything that came up on eBay and for somer pretty hefty premium prices. So it is no wonder that she is listing them at high prices...just trying to recoup her investment.

super sam
10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Wow, a copy of the regulators S/L went for $475
Two years ago the market value was $950 = -50%

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-20-2007, 03:43 PM
im sorry idk were to sell SK books

Rahfa
10-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Wow, a copy of the regulators S/L went for $475
Two years ago the market value was $950 = -50%

Wow...all those auctions went for pretty low money, Regulators especially...a lettered Borderlands at $378, Desperation at $270, and a Black House for $238 - wasn't the issue price $225?

I debated bidding on the Regulators, but the market is just too soft...and of course, it's that exact type of thinking that means a soft market will continue...

Fsmdr
10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I think the regulators might have sold for so low due to the dent on the box. Otherwise, in mint condition, I think it would have fetched more, IMO. The lettered Borderlands had scuffs too, otherwise I would have put in a bid on it.

But then again, his other listings didn't go for very high, either.

Ari_Racing
10-21-2007, 03:48 PM
I bid on that 400.
It was the highest bid I've ever placed.

CRinVA
10-22-2007, 09:14 AM
If the market wasn't so soft I would be selling most of what I have to help pay for kids' colelge educations. I still may! :-( I have one that just finished her Masters in May, one that is a Junior in College and two that will be Freshmen next August. Not sure how the hell I am gonna swing it right now.

I did just recently sell ALL of my audio CDs on ebay - I sold every audio book available from SK; a Harry Potter and a bunch of Dune audio books - I got over $800 by selling htem all individually! Not too shabby for a soft market.

I had listened to them all at least once and some of them more than once! It was time to share and break out into other audio bopoks, most of which I am getting at the library. I just finished The Road (a very powerful book) and am listening to Heart Shaped Box right now.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Heart Shaped Box audio....cool.

I could get into that.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

shnnrc01
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
well i picked up a signed copy of Kings best american short stories on ebay for $50.its the second lowest price ive paid for a King sig (the $40 signed/limited Quietly Now was the cheapest).soft market indeed.

CRinVA
10-22-2007, 11:29 AM
I pride my self in the low prices I have paid for many of my signatures!

$40 for Quietly Now - a sleeper of a steal
$80 for Six Stories - original asking price
$50 for Borderlands 5 - thanks to a friend gave me the heads up
$25 for On Writing - just the MSRP price
$30 for The Girl Who Loved TG (I think it was $30) - Haven Foundation
$50 for Postscripts 10
$25 for the RBR Poster signed by all band memebers and Roger McGuin

The Stand, Insomnia, Desperation, Legends - no extra charge for the signature

Rahfa
10-22-2007, 02:27 PM
If someone can beat my $50 for a s/l Author's Copy of DT II, then they can talk. Until then, I win.

On subject, while I am as down on the market as anybody, the reality is I have many books posted on Abebooks, and though I don't make a lot of sales, I do move a few books here and there...so while the market is very, very soft if you're in a must-sell situation, if you can afford to wait and let a book get sold for the price you set (within reason), then sales can still be made...

Timmy
10-23-2007, 04:01 AM
If someone can beat my $50 for a s/l Author's Copy of DT II, then they can talk. Until then, I win.

On subject, while I am as down on the market as anybody, the reality is I have many books posted on Abebooks, and though I don't make a lot of sales, I do move a few books here and there...so while the market is very, very soft if you're in a must-sell situation, if you can afford to wait and let a book get sold for the price you set (within reason), then sales can still be made...

What name do you use on ABE? I'd like to see what you have for sale.

CRinVA
10-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Evidence of a soft market (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-THE-STAND-Signed-Limited-Coffin-Case_W0QQitemZ260173783344QQihZ016QQcategoryZ29223 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

No reserve on this item - just wish I had the spare $ to bid!

Rahfa
10-23-2007, 01:55 PM
What name do you use on ABE? I'd like to see what you have for sale.

Here's my link...I have other books for sale too...ignore their stupid rating system. Everytime I have to cancel an overseas sale because they have stupid shipping prices, it goes against my rating...

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=stephen+king&bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&sortby=2&sts=t&vci=4989266&x=44&y=12

It will be interesting to see the sales price for that S/L of The Stand...I would be surprised if it goes for much less than $1750, though...down market or not, that book will always carry a high premium.

jemaher
10-23-2007, 03:18 PM
any new word on the estimated release date of the revised gunslinger. I heard 2008 about 2 years ago?

Randall Flagg
10-23-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't think the S/L The Stand will fetch $1,750. I predict $1,501.

Jemaher, welcome. No specific news yet. There is a thread in Collectors about the book, (here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=577)) but as of now it offers no more info.

Patrick
10-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Heart Shaped Box audio....cool.

I could get into that.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

You can download it from http://www.audible.com for either $28 or for $7.50 if you join up. This is how I get most of my audiobooks now.

I wonder if people are little put off by those two ugly photos of the traycase in The Stand S/L auction on eBay. The seller posted more photos and says the case is fine, but still - bidders sometimes spook easily.

Nice stuff you're selling on ABE, Rahfa.

Hutch
10-24-2007, 04:37 AM

Jemaher, welcome. No specific news yet. There is a thread in Collectors about the book, (here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=577)) but as of now it offers no more info.

Stu at Betts won a S/L numbered Stand on eBay a few days ago ( 10/16/07 ) for $1835. He will put some mark up on it when he resells.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190161531694

Randall Flagg
10-24-2007, 09:28 AM
I wonder if people are little put off by those two ugly photos of the traycase in The Stand S/L auction on eBay. The seller posted more photos and says the case is fine, but still - bidders sometimes spook easily.

It looks a bit like the one I had that was screwed up that I had refinished.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/712/thestandshinywrappingmafi0.jpg

Rahfa
10-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Nice stuff you're selling on ABE, Rahfa.

Yeah, if you got an extra $12K or so lying around, give me a call...haha...but like I said, stuff sits for awhile, then sells...I'm in no rush, and I think it's valued appropriately.

Spencer
10-24-2007, 06:00 PM
well i picked up a signed copy of Kings best american short stories on ebay for $50.its the second lowest price ive paid for a King sig (the $40 signed/limited Quietly Now was the cheapest).soft market indeed.

Damn, I want in on a deal like that!

Min
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM

Here's one for $55. (http://cgi.ebay.ca/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-AMERICAN-SHORT-STORIES-BOOK-1-1_W0QQitemZ180173007319)

Room 217 Caretaker
10-25-2007, 02:33 AM
I've confirmed this:

It's not the original ticket. It's a copy of the ticket.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-AMERICAN-SHORT-STORIES-BOOK-1-1_W0QQitemZ180173007319
Why would it be a COPY of the ticket. King only signed 300 for that event. In order to buy a signed copy, one per ticket, you had to show your ticket. I asked her this question.

Her response through Ebay:

"Ralph,

Glad you asked that. A funny thing happened that evening. The person I was with got up and went to the bathroom, came back real quick, and said, they just put out another stack of signed copies.

We both ran down and they let us buy all we wanted. Without a ticket. I bought 23 SIGNED copies."

OK, my fellow DarkTower Members. I'm not sure what to think of this. The people that run this show in NY have always been strict (for good reasons) and did confirm only 300 signed copies available.

Dolan, did you go? If so, did you see an extra stack being sold.

I'm not saying the signature is fake. Please don't take this response to be like that. The signature looks good. It's the COPY of a ticket that is bothering me.

Just throwing my two cents on the table.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Here's one for $55. (http://cgi.ebay.ca/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-AMERICAN-SHORT-STORIES-BOOK-1-1_W0QQitemZ180173007319)

CRinVA
10-25-2007, 05:13 AM
I sincerely doubt that they would have sold 23 copies to any one person. I'd not take that bait at all! No friggin way!

Rahfa
10-25-2007, 06:30 AM
First, I suppose anything is possible...but why would they sell 23 to one person? Unlikely.

Second, obvioulsy it's easy to take a scan of an authentic signature and just put it on another listing, so that doesn't mean anything either.

Honestly, I just wouldn't buy anything from somebody bragging about buying 23 copies, whether they were real or not. "Glad you asked that." Screw her.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Well I can say this. The seller (her name is Liz) is a good Ebayer. I've bought legit signed items from her.

I just think she's got herself into something NO GOOD and she should just walk away from it.

The above statement was my last comment to her. Haven't heard back.

Dolan
10-25-2007, 09:11 AM
I dont believe 23 at all. I do believe that they let one at a time - and then things started getting screwey and people got 2-4 each.

This happened at the YMCA with the DT7. Most of us were only allowed 1. But some people were leaving with 5+.

Sadly, as collectors, we'd think that people are prepared for King and his huge following...but they arent...

super sam
10-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Have bought a copy from her, will be interesting to see what i get.:orely:
(if i get anything )

Randall Flagg
10-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Would love to see/hear about what you receive.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Have bought a copy from her, will be interesting to see what i get.:orely:
(if i get anything )

Super Sam. Don't panic. Like I said in a few messages up, Liz will take care of you. I was just trying to figure out how she got so many copies to sell on Ebay.

Post the picture here when you get it. Make sure its the same signature she is showing in the Ebay auction you won.

Again, I think you'll be just fine. :)

Patrick
10-25-2007, 04:36 PM
23? Wow. I was thinking about buying a copy from her, but now I'm more skeptical than ever. Then again, I want to buy the book anyway, so the gamble is the difference in price of unsigned vs. allegedly signed - about, what, $35? Hmmm...

Room 217 Caretaker
10-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Patrick,

I don't know how other collectors feel, but if I buy a signed book from an event like the NY event, I would rather have the event ticket included.

Any thoughts from others?

Patrick
10-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Patrick,

I don't know how other collectors feel, but if I buy a signed book from an event like the NY event, I would rather have the event ticket included.

I agree. It's always better to get the ticket. If I know the person who obtained the book though, I'm less concerned about it.

Randall Flagg
10-25-2007, 07:01 PM
For some reason, perhaps because there is no SK story in it (which I understand why), I have little desire for the signed PB. It is great that the price is low for people that want it to have it at a great price.

Spencer
10-26-2007, 05:11 AM

Thanks! That one had ended already, but there may be more. I'll keep an eye out! :D

Spencer
10-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Patrick,

I agree. It's always better to get the ticket. If I know the person who obtained the book though, I'm less concerned about it.

I'd much rather have gotten it in person, (virtually no chance of me doing that with King though), or get an official publisher comissioned signed book, like the signed/limited Dark Tower books.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-26-2007, 06:03 AM
I'd much rather have gotten it in person, (virtually no chance of me doing that with King though), or get an official publisher commissioned signed book, like the signed/limited Dark Tower books.

Getting a book at an event, with an event ticket is considered a publisher commissioned signed book. That is my point about the seller offering a signed book with a COPY of a ticket. When they say COPY, your getting a photo copy of an original ticket. I think that is WRONG. Just my opinion.

Rahfa
10-27-2007, 04:37 PM

Bidding for this hit $1775....it's good to see that the really high-end s/l's do maintain their value...what it shows is that there are still collectors out there for the really scarce books...it's the ones like SoD and Colorado Kid that aren't showing a whole lot of movement, and probably won't for a long, long time.

oy-the-brave
10-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I just got a S/L From a Buick 8 for 300.00 :thumbsup: .

It's one of the books I had to sell when money was tight, I'm pretty sure I got close to 450.00 for it at the time.

Randall Flagg
10-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Bidding for this hit $1775....it's good to see that the really high-end s/l's do maintain their value...what it shows is that there are still collectors out there for the really scarce books...it's the ones like SoD and Colorado Kid that aren't showing a whole lot of movement, and probably won't for a long, long time.

I am glad to be wrong (I do after all own one myself), and I think your observation is spot on.
Raise the bar!

Rahfa
10-27-2007, 07:19 PM

I am glad to be wrong (I do after all own one myself), and I think your observation is spot on.
Raise the bar!

Well, you might have been 'wrong' but it was an educated assumption that it might have gone for lower...I actually sold mine awhile ago (for $2500), so I don't have a stake in it, but I do have an extra s/l Gunslinger, and I think this shows that its value is still pretty high, poor market or not...

In other words, beachfront condos are still good investments, even in a real estate bubble...haha...

Patrick
10-28-2007, 07:37 AM
In other words, beachfront condos are still good investments, even in a real estate bubble...haha...
:lol: Nice analogy.

Randall Flagg
10-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Creepshow seems to be commanding a good price. This one is over $100 with 7 hours left. E-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Creepshow-Stephen-King-true-first-Edition12345-priced_W0QQitemZ200165493162QQihZ010QQcategoryZ292 23QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/46/11e311oq3.jpg

jhanic
10-28-2007, 12:09 PM
That price amazes me!

John

jhanic
10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
The limited Stand went for $2000.

John

Patrick
10-28-2007, 07:55 PM
The limited Stand went for $2000.

John
Glad to hear it!

NeedfulKings
10-29-2007, 06:55 AM
I just got a S/L From a Buick 8 for 300.00 :thumbsup: .

It's one of the books I had to sell when money was tight, I'm pretty sure I got close to 450.00 for it at the time.

Congrats!

Seems like the market is still up AND down. With The Stand still holding strong.

As for the ticket/book signing, we must also consider the fact that it's relatively easy to grab extra tickets/promo items after the event. Quite often, they're just laying around by people who discarded them.

My point is that, though it helps validate the sig, it's never a sure thing.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Excellent point about tickets just laying around.

That's when we turn to the "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't" feeling. Just walk away from the seller.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
10-29-2007, 10:00 AM
When Patrick and I went to see King in San Francisco, we were able to get extra signed books, and at the end of the event, I politely asked for and was given tickets that people would have discarded.

Patrick
10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Yes, it is a bit of a double-edged sword perhaps. You could get a bunch of real tickets if you were there and then fake a bunch of book sigs. But my nagging question is that if the sig in the book really is real, why didn't any given seller get a ticket to go with it (like RF and I did) since it is so easily done? The only answer that I'm at all satisfied with is that the seller is so honest it never even occurred to them. But there's no way to know - you just go with your gut based on the posting unless you know the seller.

NeedfulKings
10-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Good point about the sellers, Patrick.

My Lisey's Story will always be a treasure because I KNOW it's legit. Aside from that (or any future signings I go to) I may just stick with Limited Editions.

Things are already going that way with Hill. Aside from the book RF got us, and the copy I bought from a book seller, I'll stick with L.E.'s and personal signings. It's a safe use of my money.

CRinVA
10-30-2007, 05:30 AM

My Lisey's Story will always be a treasure because I KNOW it's legit. Aside from that (or any future signings I go to) I may just stick with Limited Editions.

Things are already going that way with Hill. Aside from the book RF got us, and the copy I bought from a book seller, I'll stick with L.E.'s and personal signings. It's a safe use of my money.

Roger that!

I have a few singed that I know are valid but have no real means of proving it. I bought a flat signed 1st Edition of On Writing at a Rock Bottom Remainders performance. I'd guess that was authentic but have no proof it is authentic! Same thing for the Signed Poster that I paid $20 for at that same concert! :-)

But since I am not planning on off loading either item it makes no difference as they are in my collection and I know they are legit! :-)

jemaher
10-30-2007, 09:04 PM

Thats the real attraction to most of the S/L... knowing that the signature is authentic.

Dolan
10-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Another reason why I prefer inscribed books over flatsigned books...

Cutter
10-31-2007, 05:52 PM
OK everybody stop your whining. :P A first Gunslinger is at $964.25 on eBay.

If you noticed I did NOT say it was a signed numbered or lettered edition!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Gunslinger-True-First-Printing-VF_W0QQitemZ260174190402QQihZ016QQcategoryZ29223QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just might think about selling mine... :orely:

Patrick
10-31-2007, 08:52 PM
OK everybody stop your whining. :P A first Gunslinger is at $964.25 on eBay.

If you noticed I did NOT say it was a signed numbered or lettered edition!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Gunslinger-True-First-Printing-VF_W0QQitemZ260174190402QQihZ016QQcategoryZ29223QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just might think about selling mine... :orely:

I just saw that tonight. I don't plan to sell mine, but I'm still glad to see the price so high. :nana:

jhanic
11-01-2007, 04:02 AM
That's a fantastic price given that 20,000 copies were printed. Amazing!

John

Rahfa
11-01-2007, 04:54 AM
Eh...private auction...very high price...not one of those auctions I consider very serious bellwethers...even still, Gunslinger firsts do go for decent prices though...

CRinVA
11-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Gee I may never get one - that is just out of my reach!

note to self: calm down CR your kids college education is really really important!

jhanic
11-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Just don't try to convince yourself that investing in Stephen King is a good way to fund your kids college education! ;-)

John

Matt
11-01-2007, 06:31 AM
:lol:

I believe that goes for any collection--although my dad does pretty well in classic HO gage model trains.

funky dredd
11-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Just don't try to convince yourself that investing in Stephen King is a good way to fund your kids college education! ;-)

John

Isn't that the truth!

CRinVA
11-01-2007, 09:13 AM

John

If I had sold a couple of years ago then I might have been OK, but with the basic declining market I better hang on to what I have for now. :-)

My collection was never an investment from the git go - I just told my wife it was at the time so that she wouldn't cringe so much at the prices of things! OMG I paid $150 for the S/N Best of Cemetery Dance when it first came out - she thouhgt I had stepped off the deep end then! :-)

Patrick
11-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I didn't think I'd ever see an S/L of DESPERATION go for only two hundred bucks like happened on eBay this weekend.

wizardsrainbow
11-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Wow! >< There are some real bargains to be had if you look hard.

Randall Flagg
11-06-2007, 05:04 AM
I agree. Some examples:

Desperation Gift-sold for $33.86 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190169031918&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching)

DTVII Artist sold for $61 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190169026081&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching)

Letters From Hell-zero bids with a start of $50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200169945373&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching)

Cutter
11-06-2007, 05:56 AM
I agree. Some examples:
Letters From Hell-zero bids with a start of $50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200169945373&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching)
Damn, I'm sorry I missed this one! :(

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-06-2007, 06:16 AM
I agree. Some examples:
Damn, I'm sorry I missed this one! :(

I think he sold it outwith ebay.

Ari_Racing
11-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Last friday I lost a SOS S/L for 212 dollars.

Storyslinger
11-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Shit, that bites.

Ari_Racing
11-06-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't know how much the winner bid, but it went for a very low price.

namelessnpoor
11-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone !!! Some of you know me from the other sites, to those who don't yet know me HELLO !!
I go by Rusty by the way, i finally gave in and came over. I was being stubborn, basicaly because i didn't want to learn a new site and all that stuff !! I just couldn't take the super slowmotion f the other site or the fact that half the time i couldn't even log on any more.
Very nice site, still learning it abit but i like it and i am sure i will get the hang of it rather quickly.
I have a few things for sale if anyone is interested, wasn't sure if where to post it, so i figured i would just try here, if there is a better spot please direct me to it thanks

Me and my wife are expecting a baby in may !! So I have been selling off some books to get some money together for a nursery and all the other stuff a baby needs. Not selling everything !! I still have a very nice collection, mainly just sticking to first editions, signed first editions and the older signed and limiteds or any books that have meaning to me (gifts etc...)
I have signed and limiteds of

Black house #1108 $300
Insomnia #706 $400 (few flaws to the tray case but book is perfect)
From a Buick 8 #737 $550
The Colorado Kid (JK Potter edition) #112 $350
The Colorado Kid (Edward Miller edition) # 126 $350
The Colorado Kid (Glenn Chadbourne edition) #111 $350

I have gift editons of

Secretary of Dreams $100
Insomnia $100

all prices are somewhat negotiable and do not include shipping , if you know of anyone looking for anything please let me know, I could use the money !!!
thanks again
Rusty

jhanic
11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Welcome aboard, Rusty!

I feel the same as you about the other site. It's so frustrating trying to do anything there.

John

Randall Flagg
11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Welcome Rusty. I know a lot of people feel a dedication to the other site, but after a while the frustration of just accessing the site can drive you nuts.
Glad to see you here.

NeedfulKings
11-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I agree. Some examples:

Pardon my ignorance--I've never seen this before. Is that actually SK's sig or a fascimile?

Ari, that does suck about the SoS. I'm not really ready to take the jump to S/L's just yet, but I would have likely bid on that at that price. Didn't see it though.

Hi Rusty! Good luck with the chap (or chappette). :) :) :)

Randall Flagg
11-07-2007, 02:32 PM
The Letters From Hell is a great piece, and is actually signed by King. Lord John Press (Dolan's Cadillac) printed it up. I have one framed and hanging in my living room.

NeedfulKings
11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
The Letters From Hell is a great piece, and is actually signed by King. Lord John Press (Dolan's Cadillac) printed it up. I have one framed and hanging in my living room.

Thankee sai. One more piece I'll look for. :thumbsup:

Patrick
11-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Welcome, Rusty! Glad you took the time to make the short trip over here. Congrats on the pending arrival of lil' Rusty. :rock:

CRinVA
11-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Letters From Hell has always been on my radar screen, but I always see it for much more than I care to spend! I wonder how much that one sold for!!!!

Matt
11-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Hello everyone !!! Some of you know me from the other sites, to those who don't yet know me HELLO !!
I go by Rusty by the way, i finally gave in and came over. I was being stubborn, basicaly because i didn't want to learn a new site and all that stuff !! I just couldn't take the super slowmotion f the other site or the fact that half the time i couldn't even log on any more.
Very nice site, still learning it abit but i like it and i am sure i will get the hang of it rather quickly.
I have a few things for sale if anyone is interested, wasn't sure if where to post it, so i figured i would just try here, if there is a better spot please direct me to it thanks

Me and my wife are expecting a baby in may !! So I have been selling off some books to get some money together for a nursery and all the other stuff a baby needs. Not selling everything !! I still have a very nice collection, mainly just sticking to first editions, signed first editions and the older signed and limiteds or any books that have meaning to me (gifts etc...)
I have signed and limiteds of

Black house #1108 $300
Insomnia #706 $400 (few flaws to the tray case but book is perfect)
From a Buick 8 #737 $550
The Colorado Kid (JK Potter edition) #112 $350
The Colorado Kid (Edward Miller edition) # 126 $350
The Colorado Kid (Glenn Chadbourne edition) #111 $350

I have gift editons of

Secretary of Dreams $100
Insomnia $100

all prices are somewhat negotiable and do not include shipping , if you know of anyone looking for anything please let me know, I could use the money !!!
thanks again
Rusty

Hey Rusty, I am glad you made the jump.

We do have an auction platform so if not enough people see this here you are welcome to set up some of those. If you want to do it, just let me know and I will set you up as a seller in there.

Thanks for giving us a try :thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
11-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Wow! A 1/250 Dolan's Cadillac (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160176707503&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123) with very minor wear goes for $259.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-12-2007, 03:20 AM
Wow! A 1/250 Dolan's Cadillac (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160176707503&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123) with very minor wear goes for $259.

hehehe.......that's me...that's me.

:excited: :excited: :excited:

I can't believe I won that. The New Lieutenant's Rap and a First Edition Carrie is the only thing missing from my collection. :cowboy:

Merry Christmas to me.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Darkthoughts
11-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Wow!! Good for you Mulleins, thats some collection you must have there :thumbsup:

Storyslinger
11-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Awesome

super sam
11-12-2007, 06:41 AM
I've confirmed this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-AMERICAN-SHORT-STORIES-BOOK-1-1_W0QQitemZ180173007319
Why would it be a COPY of the ticket. King only signed 300 for that event. In order to buy a signed copy, one per ticket, you had to show your ticket. I asked her this question.

"Ralph,

Glad you asked that. A funny thing happened that evening. The person I was with got up and went to the bathroom, came back real quick, and said, they just put out another stack of signed copies.

We both ran down and they let us buy all we wanted. Without a ticket. I bought 23 SIGNED copies."

OK, my fellow DarkTower Members. I'm not sure what to think of this. The people that run this show in NY have always been strict (for good reasons) and did confirm only 300 signed copies available.

I'm not saying the signature is fake. Please don't take this response to be like that. The signature looks good. It's the COPY of a ticket that is bothering me.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Got this from the seller today:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/supersam98/P1030684.jpg

Here is the signature:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/supersam98/P1030694.jpg

Randall Flagg
11-12-2007, 07:36 AM
I am no expert, but to me it looks like King's recent "bunched" signature.
I would be interested in Hutch's opinion.

Dolan
11-12-2007, 08:27 AM
interesting...i'd say its real.

Rahfa
11-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I got mine at the Harvard signing, and it looks essentially identical...plus, I got two copies there (I had two tix, but only I went), one signed in front of me, and the other presigned - and both signatatures looked just like that, right down to that little underline.

Nothing is 100 percent certain in this world, but I am 99.9 sure that's the real thing.

Rahfa
11-12-2007, 08:34 AM

I can't believe I won that. The New Lieutenant's Rap and a First Edition Carrie is the only thing missing from my collection. :cowboy:

Merry Christmas to me.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

I didn't know you had that big a collection! Anyway, go ahead and paypal me $3,500 and I'll fed-ex that New Lt. Rap to you. I'll cover shipping, don't worry...haha...

Seriously, for some reason I didn't know you have all the limiteds...do you catalog the numbers? Have I asked you that before?

Hutch
11-12-2007, 08:36 AM
I am no expert, but to me it looks like King's recent "bunched" signature.
I would be interested in Hutch's opinion.

I have no problem with it. Very typical of his signature the last 3 years or so.

Cutter
11-12-2007, 09:04 AM

Merry Christmas to me.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Congrats, that is an amazing price. I've been looking for a slipcased one that cheap, lol

wizardsrainbow
11-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I've confirmed this:

"Ralph,

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Got this from the seller today:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/supersam98/P1030684.jpg

Here is the signature:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/supersam98/P1030694.jpg

Looks legit to me. I would buy that signature.

jhanic
11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Looks okay to me too.

John

super sam
11-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the opinions. Seemes like ít is OK then!

(maybe this discussion should be in: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, signatures, sellers thread)

BTW, Mulleins, congrats to a nice purchase.

Hutch
11-12-2007, 10:45 AM
the rare items still continue to climb in value...

check out Tina's unmatched set of The Plant ( I've never seen an non-matching set sell for so much )

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SIGNED-Ltd-COMPLETE-3-Volume-Set-THE-PLANT_W0QQitemZ180177137485QQihZ008QQcategoryZ2922 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

She also did pretty well with her lettered Stand

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SIGNED-LETTERED-THE-STAND-in-COFFIN-BOX_W0QQitemZ180177134559QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29223Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jhanic
11-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Both went to the same buyer!

John

Rahfa
11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Why isn't the link for that Plant auction working for me? And isn't the bay name "Tinah?" I find that either...

Anyway, what was the price the Plant went for?

Cutter
11-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Why isn't the link for that Plant auction working for me? And isn't the bay name "Tinah?" I find that either...

Anyway, what was the price the Plant went for?
tinah3 is her ebay name. Even though she has nothing for sale right now, it's her , I bought something off her recently. :)

http://myworld.ebay.com/tinah3

Patrick
11-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Congrats on your Dolan's Cadillac, Ralph! Add my name to the list of people who didn't realize how complete your collection is.

Super Sam, congrats to you too on your fine purchase. :)

Hutch
11-12-2007, 02:20 PM

Anyway, what was the price the Plant went for? it was between $8400 and $9000

Fsmdr
11-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I think a few of her auctions were cancelled by Ebay. I had a bid in one of her item and got an email today that the listing ( that I was bidding on) is now null and void. Copy of email below:

The listing in which you were a bidding participant:

180177134559 - Stephen King SIGNED LETTERED THE STAND in COFFIN BOX

has been ended by eBay. Since the listing was ended by eBay, for the transaction itself is null and void.

1st Choice - We ended the listing due to bidding activity that took place without the authorization of the owner of one of the accounts that bid on the listing. We have ended the listing to maintain the integrity of the eBay site and the bidder?s account that was accessed. We are working to restore the bidding account to its rightful owner, and we are working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorized activity.
or
2nd Choice - Due to privacy concerns, we cannot disclose the exact reason the listing itself was ended. However, we can inform you that we did not take any action on the seller's account for this listing.

ADD to either choice: As a result, we have informed the seller that they may relist their item if they wish to do so. Please feel free to re-bid on this item under the new item number. To locate the new item number, please check the sellers list of items at:

Randall Flagg
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I would hope for the sellers stake someone didn't overbid and then backed out-although that appears likely.
I also hope there's not anything else nefarious going on.

jhanic
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Because the winning bidder was the same in both auctions, I have a feeling that's exactly what happened. They backed out.

John

Fsmdr
11-12-2007, 04:24 PM
You can retract your bids. If the case is buyer's remorse, that is between the seller and the buyer. It would still not involve a official pull out of the listing from Ebay, IMO. I think it's definitely something not on the up and up.

On another note, talking about things not right. My Ebay ID was hacked yesterday morning. Someone used my ID to list over 1700 listings of motorcyles and parts that ends in 1 day. Obviously a professional with an automated software. Now, my account is secure, but it sure was a hair raising day for me yesterday!!.

Rahfa
11-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Ebay doesn't delete auctions that have already ended for nonpayment...but if someone hacked an account, it means the third party was probably going to try some cashiers check scam and try to steal the items...or maybe shill bidding or something.

That, unfortunately, makes some sense regarding the big prices they ended at...it wasn't legit...

jhanic
11-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Maybe I'll email tinah and see if she can shed some light on this.

John

Patrick
11-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Based on all this dicussion, my bet is that the buyer's account was hacked. That sucks.

Cutter
11-14-2007, 07:26 AM
You can retract your bids. If the case is buyer's remorse, that is between the seller and the buyer. It would still not involve a official pull out of the listing from Ebay, IMO. I think it's definitely something not on the up and up.

On another note, talking about things not right. My Ebay ID was hacked yesterday morning. Someone used my ID to list over 1700 listings of motorcyles and parts that ends in 1 day. Obviously a professional with an automated software. Now, my account is secure, but it sure was a hair raising day for me yesterday!!.

Interesting, I've always used a pretty lax password for my eBay account, I should probably change that right away.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2007, 08:54 AM
It is getting to be a pain having 10+ character passwords with letters, numbers underscores etc. You almost have to carry a memory stick around (don't lose it) with all of them.

Daghain
11-14-2007, 09:06 AM
I had to change my eBay password because I got hacked as well. It really ticks me off. :angry:

There is a special level of hell for people who can't keep their mitts off other people's stuff.

Fsmdr
11-14-2007, 10:30 AM
I had to change my eBay password because I got hacked as well. It really ticks me off. :angry:

There is a special level of hell for people who can't keep their mitts off other people's stuff.

You should also change the password for your Email that is registered under your Ebay. In my case, I've changed it to a new email address for Ebay only.

Daghain
11-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Oh trust me, I changed ALL my passwords after that one. :D

Brice
11-14-2007, 10:46 AM
I have had the same passwords since I first got on the internet. :lol:

So far I've been lucky.

Patrick
11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I haven't changed my eBay password from "password" in years, maybe I should add a number "1" after it to thwart the bad guys.

jhanic
11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
This is a declining market???

The Mist Paperback (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250186599597&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015)

Plus $2 for shipping!!

Amazing!!

John

Randall Flagg
11-16-2007, 02:08 PM
That is a bit puzzling, but whether it's a bull market or a bear market, there are always fools to be found.

Storyslinger
11-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I've been that fool a few time :lol:

Cutter
11-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Well for every book we see go at a great price, there is another that goes for a very low price. I meant to bid on this too, but I ended up going to see The Mist last night and forgot all about it. :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260184644790&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Randall Flagg
11-27-2007, 06:46 AM
That is a fairly low price! In 2005 it was going for ~1K.

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 06:48 AM
That is a fairly low price! In 2005 it was going for ~1K.

No kidding?

Randall Flagg
11-27-2007, 06:54 AM
No kidding. The market has softened quite a bit in the last 2+ years.

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Wow, never would have guessed a drop like that

Rahfa
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
It's funny...I actually bought my Christine copy for $675 in 2004 (but it matches up with many of my books, so I wouldn't sell it individually)....I think we've all agreed that the market had a phony "bubble" more than it actually sustained those high prices. I think $650-$700 is the real value, and probably always has been.

Cutter
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
It's funny...I actually bought my Christine copy for $675 in 2004 (but it matches up with many of my books, so I wouldn't sell it individually)....I think we've all agreed that the market had a phony "bubble" more than it actually sustained those high prices. I think $650-$700 is the real value, and probably always has been.

I hope so. This book, along with Firestarter are the two older Limited Editions that I do not own. The reason being the asking price was too high. $800 is about as high as I want to go on either. Hopefully it'll happen one of these days...

Daghain
11-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Anyone care to decipher this description for me? Is he trying to say it's a 3rd edition?

Grant3rd? (http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-DARK-TOWER-I-THE-GUNSLINGER-1ST-3RD-PRINT_W0QQitemZ130178344532QQihZ003QQcategoryZ2922 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

jhanic
11-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Yes. I think he'll take the award for the most unintelligent description I've read in a long time!

John

Daghain
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I can't figure out if he means an actual 3rd Grant edition or what. :pullhair:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Yes. I think he'll take the award for the most unintelligent description I've read in a long time!

John

Agreed. It's a lot of words to say, Third Edition. :pullhair:

Patrick
11-27-2007, 12:20 PM
That description was so confusing as to be laughable.

Notice the seller says that the DJ was once glued to the book or something? Yikes.

Daghain
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, who would do that?

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
:blush: *raises hand*

Kidding, but I did get a whole group of King hardcover that had the slipcovers all glued on. Luckily I only paid $25

Daghain
11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
People seriously glue those on? That's weird.

ETA: I'm looking at this one because I'm a completist, not a collector. I plan to actually touch and read this book, so buying a really expensive one is not really smart.

However, I don't want a destroyed one, either. :lol:

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I didn't understand either, but I can't really complain getting 8 hardcovers for that prices. And Dag, I do the same with the books I buy

herbertwest
11-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Yeah, who would do that?
I know even worst...
in France, some libraries cut the DJs to put on the books... (ok... at least, I know 1 library that do that)
:arg:

CRinVA
11-28-2007, 04:56 AM
It was simply a way for the seller to try and attract some unsuspecting buyer to his acution by using hte word first in the description. He didn't do anything wrong per se, but I'd avoid him like the plague!

Daghain
11-28-2007, 09:13 AM
$30 for a third edition wouldn't be too bad, though. :D

NeedfulKings
11-28-2007, 10:39 AM
It was a weird description!!! :p It's hard to tell how much damage was done to the book. In near mint condition, I've seen them got for $70-80. If the book is still good, a brodart would likely make the DJ appear very nice.

$30 is a good price. I bet someone would pay that much for the book without a dust jacket.

On a similar note, Grant describes The Gunslinger on the copyright page as a First Edition, Second Edition, Third Printing. I wonder why the change in terminology. DotT is First Edition, Second Edition.

herbertwest
11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
On a similar note, Grant describes The Gunslinger on the copyright page as a First Edition, Second Edition, Third Printing. I wonder why the change in terminology. DotT is First Edition, Second Edition.

DotT ???

Storyslinger
11-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Drawing of the Three

NeedfulKings
11-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Yes, Drawing of the Three. Sorry for the laziness. :D Those are the only two in the series that went beyond a First or Limited Edition.

Daghain
12-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Okay...I did purchase that book for $30. The book itself is in very good condition (and as a completist I'm totally happy with that) but the DJ, while in excellent condition in the front, does have a fairly nasty wrinkle all down the back. Again, for me, not fatal, but annoying.

What's a reasonable price for a decent DJ for this book? I may or may not pick one up, depending on the cost.

Randall Flagg
12-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Contact Karen at Grant Books (your newfound buddy you bought Palavercon prints from), they probably have that dj available for a good price.
Grant books DJ link (https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-books-djs.html)

Just looked and a new replacement dj is $5 plus shipping.

Nerak
12-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Well for every book we see go at a great price, there is another that goes for a very low price. I meant to bid on this too, but I ended up going to see The Mist last night and forgot all about it. :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260184644790&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

If I am not wrong...that is Michaela's copy. I don't know if she had 666 of Christine, but she did of DT & T/BH...interesting.....

Nerak
12-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Contact Karen at Grant Books (your newfound buddy you bought Palavercon prints from), they probably have that dj available for a good price.

Shipping is $6 for priority mail with insurance and we have those in stock.www.grantbooks.com

I am here five days a week folks!!! :lol:

NeedfulKings
12-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Congrats, Daghain. Looks like you made a pretty good deal out of it! :)

Daghain
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks Jerome and Nerak. I'll get right on it! :D

And thanks, Needful. I'm feeling pretty good about it. :D

Matt
12-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Shipping is $6 for priority mail with insurance and we have those in stock.www.grantbooks.com (http://www.grantbooks.com)

I am here five days a week folks!!! :lol:

Would you mind if grantbooks was added to our links directory Karen?

Patrick
12-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Saw link. Clicked it. Now I just bought some stuff at Grant. A splendid example of how TDT.com makes everyone else rich.

Randall Flagg
12-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Mint condition The Talisman S/L (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260189534231&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching) sold for $483. Good price for the buyer.

Cutter
12-10-2007, 12:37 PM
yea, for the buyer. The seller is probably not happy. But these are very reasonable prices I think. $1,000 is overinflated for this title, imo, but they were selling for this high a few years ago.

I forgot to post this one, as I was watching it, and now I lost it so I can't post the eBay link. But I saw a DT III - Wastelands Signed Numbered go for $247 about a month ago. I couldn't bid on it at the time, but damn I wish I had the money to do so, as it's not in my collection.

Randall Flagg
12-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Older Mens magazines that featured King's first short story appearance seem to command good prices.
Both over $50 with hours to go.
CAVALIER March 1977 STEPHEN KING CAT from HELL contest (http://cgi.ebay.com/CAVALIER-March-1977-STEPHEN-KING-CAT-from-HELL-contest_W0QQitemZ150195907703QQihZ005QQcategoryZ28 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/ltCurve.gif

CAVALIER April 1972 STEPHEN KING Fifth Quarter RARE (http://cgi.ebay.com/CAVALIER-April-1972-STEPHEN-KING-Fifth-Quarter-RARE_W0QQitemZ150195900856QQihZ005QQcategoryZ280QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

CRinVA
12-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Older Mens magazines that featured King's first short story appearance seem to command good prices.
Both over $50 with hours to go.
CAVALIER March 1977 STEPHEN KING CAT from HELL contest (http://cgi.ebay.com/CAVALIER-March-1977-STEPHEN-KING-CAT-from-HELL-contest_W0QQitemZ150195907703QQihZ005QQcategoryZ28 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/ltCurve.gif

CAVALIER April 1972 STEPHEN KING Fifth Quarter RARE (http://cgi.ebay.com/CAVALIER-April-1972-STEPHEN-KING-Fifth-Quarter-RARE_W0QQitemZ150195900856QQihZ005QQcategoryZ280QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

The Cavalears always seem to go for a healthy price - that is why I only one one of them. The Gallery and Gents go for much less!

jhanic
12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
I was able to pick up from these auctions two Cavaliers that I didn't have--the December 1972 (The Mangler) and the May 1975 (The Lawnmower Man) ones. With shipping, the total was just over $100 for both. That gives me a total of 13 issues of Cavalier. I was lucky enough to pick up a large majority of these last year for about $15 each! That's why I don't mind spending a little more for the ones I don't have. They average out nicely!

One exception to the rule is the April 1979 Nugget magazine, which contains the reprint of "Weeds" (first in Cavalier, May 1976). Back when Stu was selling Chris Cavalier's collection, he had this one listed for $400! After a while, it was no longer listed. I have copies of both magazines. Of course, I didn't spend even close to that for my copy of Nugget. (I lost the records of just how much I did spend but I know that I'd NEVER spend even close to that much for one magazine.)

John

Calla_Wolf
01-09-2008, 02:43 AM
... :beat:

A new King hardback approaches...more Dark Tower comics...Sec of Dreams 2...a book of short stories...etc...etc...

...and, for the first time since I was 13, I'm not excited about it. It seems my interest in King is finally dying....

A temporary malaise, or a permanent droop. I wonder.

And, as I asked above....am i alone?

Letti
01-09-2008, 02:54 AM
We all are changing all the time.
I used to be hooked on Dean R. Kootz. Now I simply can't read him.
So don't be disappointed. You might find King exciting again in the future.

Calla_Wolf
01-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Perhaps. I find my loyalties are shifting to new and, frankly, more exciting authors. Doug Clegg, Brian Keene and, at the moment, Nora Roberts' "Blood Brothers".

I enjoyed Blaze but thought Lisey's Story was unreadable. As the two represented King past and King present I've come to think that King present is not for me.

Letti
01-09-2008, 03:02 AM
I think it's absolutely okay and good.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-09-2008, 03:05 AM
While I don’t share your waning/wavering interest, I do think this is a make or break time for Stephen King.

I think many ‘constant readers’, are losing interest as well. Sales of Blaze were not great. OK, it made No. 2 on the NYT bestsellers, but that’s not great for King. In the UK the book sold for £9 on the day of release and was in the bargain bins soon after, (It still is in my local booksellers. 1st/1st)

The sales for Lisey’s Story were good as this was backed-up with a worldwide ad campaign including signings by King in the US and UK.

The collectors will still buy anything King, including his grocery list, but the prices have been falling for a long time.

I will be watching the sales figures for Duma Key carefully.

carlosdetweiller
01-09-2008, 04:54 AM
From the few people I have talked to that have read DUMA KEY it is very, very good. I haven't read it yet but I am really looking forward to it.

I couldn't care less about the new comic book series or the abysmal SECRETARY OF DREAMS.

jayson
01-09-2008, 05:03 AM
For me it's like this, because I have liked so much of King's past work I give each new one a chance. I have not been all that thrilled with many of the recent ones, but I still try to read them if only in the hopes that one of them will read like "classic King." So far none have but if he keeps them coming I will keep trying. So no Calla Wolf, I don't think you are alone in your view. I don't look forward to new King the way I used to, though I must admit I find the premise of Duma Key intriguing.

jhanic
01-09-2008, 05:35 AM
King is evolving as a writer, and, like it or not, you have to accept that. You may not like his more current work--I, for one, disliked Cell very much and thought Lisey's Story was too cliche, but I REALLY enjoyed Duma Key--but his talent for characterization and pure story-telling ability is still there.

John

Ari_Racing
01-09-2008, 05:42 AM
What you're thinking it happened to me with other two authors before.

When I was 14 I read "The unwanted", by John Saul. I was spending a summer with my parents and it was one of the worst summers of all my life. Extremely boring, no friends...and I found that book in one of my mother's suitcases.
I loved it. When I returned to Buenos Aires I start looking for more books of that author. (Off the record here, in Buenos Aires there are SEVERAL used bookstores where you can find several rare books. I found a new shrinkwraped King 1st "The Wastelands" (Grant)).
I found almost all his books and also almost all Koontz's books. I loved both until I was 17 or 18...I was reading King already (despite the fact I read my first King book when I was 13 or 14). At that moment I read again "The unwanted" and I couldn't understand why I liked it.

I kept all Saul's books since I really enjoyed them at that time, but I sold all Koontz ones.

Tastes change with time, don't they? ;)

Ari_Racing
01-09-2008, 05:43 AM
I'm on page 300 of Duma and I LOVE IT!!

As for Lisey's...I LIKED IT A LOT!

CRinVA
01-09-2008, 06:08 AM
My enthusiasm has never waned! Of course not all of King's collection can be rated top ten - how could that be!

I liked Lisey's Story - it wasn't great - not in my Top Ten! Same with Cell! Same with The Colorado Kid. the latest of King's to make my Top Ten is bag of Bones and that was 9 - 10 years ago. But I have high hopes for Duma Key!

And many of the earlier titles do not crack my top ten either - in fact may be in my bottom ten! I read each one on it's own merit and judge accordingly. ther eis only one piece of fiction that King wrote that I actually struggled to get through - My Pretty Pony - this did nothing for me - but I do own the big red book version! :-)

And the marvel stuff - the first story ARC was OK, but I knew how it was playing out - it was just nice to see someone's vision of what the characters looked like - and to read the snippets of filler material that Robin Furth chipped in. I do look forward to the continuing ARCs as the story of the Battle of Jericho inches forward!

One story that I'd love to see King working on - the sequel to The Black House - Who knows it may be several years before those words are put to paper!

Rahfa
01-09-2008, 07:18 AM
I haven't bought, much less read "Blaze," though I will eventially, but I am looking forward to Duma Key...I haven't read any of the Gunslinger comics either.

As far as collecting, I am downsizing my collection to the core group of first editions and s/l's, but would add books with the right number, for instance.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a malaise, but I do think the saturation of limited editions did turn me off a little bit...as soon as a couple came out that I had no interest in buying (TGWLTG, Colorado Kid, etc...), my interest sort of drooped across the board.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-09-2008, 08:24 AM
From the few people I have talked to that have read DUMA KEY it is very, very good. I haven't read it yet but I am really looking forward to it.

I couldn't care less about the new comic book series or the abysmal SECRETARY OF DREAMS.

The people who have already read Duma Key are all collectors/avid fans or in the publishing business. Let's see what the general population thinks of it. (The Constant Readers King is plying his trade to).

I couldn't care less about DT Comics either. King never wrote a word of them. But I'm a collector, so I bought them all including the hardback, but will never even open them. (What was I saying about 'grocery list').

wizardsrainbow
01-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Ceri-

As a collector, I am alive and well and would indeed purchase the King grocery list if it were for sale! But, I agree, that my tastes in "reading" have changes somewhat over the last 20 years. I still like and will re-read early King works, but the stuff from the last 10 years is read it and toss it aside. I keep waiting for him to regain the "sparkle" he had, but perhaps it is me that is stuck in the rut. King has moved ahead, but I have not easily followed him down that road. I liked him better when he was high/wasted.

Rahfa
01-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Ceri-

As a collector, I am alive and well and would indeed purchase the King grocery list if it were for sale! But, I agree, that my tastes in "reading" have changes somewhat over the last 20 years. I still like and will re-read early King works, but the stuff from the last 10 years is read it and toss it aside. I keep waiting for him to regain the "sparkle" he had, but perhaps it is me that is stuck in the rut. King has moved ahead, but I have not easily followed him down that road. I liked him better when he was high/wasted.

Those are good points too...he needs an editor with the power to say "stop." I'm not sure he's had that in years and years. If you reread his first books up through "Cujo" they are SO much better than his more recent stuff, it's not comparable - and I like his recent books! "Salem's Lot" holds up, for instance, on every level, as literature and horror, while "Lisey's" was a good read, but I don't remember a single scene from it.

Oh...and Carlos...I see the point about Sec. of Dreams, but I actually liked that s/l because it was different...if one didn't like the artwork (and it wasn't my taste) then it wouldn't be a good edition, but at least they tried something different and ambitious with it. Compare that to Colorado Kid, which was just a money grab.

Matt
01-09-2008, 09:06 AM
What a fascinating conversation.

Personally, I am still fully on board and I will say, like so many others, that his work has changed a bit but I am still very interested.

Lisey's Story was not the kind of page turner The Stand was but I still found myself drawn to her and her plight. I know if I'm thinking about a book when I can't be reading it that it has me.

wizardsrainbow
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
What a fascinating conversation.

Personally, I am still fully on board and I will say, like so many others, that his work has changed a bit but I am still very interested.

Lisey's Story was not the kind of page turner The Stand was but I still found myself drawn to her and her plight. I know if I'm thinking about a book when I can't be reading it that it has me.

Excellent point Matt-

The thing that I like about King, and it STILL holds true today, is that I am transported out of my current life into the book. He is still able to do that consistently to me unlike most other authors I read (yes, I do venture outside of King). But for me, his recent tales are somewhat forgettable, even though I mostly enjoyed the ride he took me on. That make sense to everyone?

jayson
01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
That make sense to everyone?

Completely. You say true, I say thank ya.

Matt
01-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Totally makes since to me Wiz. Some are burgers, some are New York Strip steaks. :lol:

All very good and satisfying though.

tippy4
01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
You are not alone Calla.

The excitement level has been steadily dropping since the release of DT5

I too could care less about the comics. They are not actually written by King anyhow, so to me it feels like someone else is raising his "baby". I gave up on them after the fifth issue.

As far as SoD2 goes, well based on how things with SoD1 went, CD will have our money in their pockets for over a year, and then when they finally release volume 2, it will be selling on ebay for the issue price OR LESS in a few cases within 6 months. On top of that, I can't stand Glen Chadbourne's artistic style.

I could never get past the first chapter of Lisey's Story.

I actually liked Blaze.

I hope Duma Key is good...but am not that excited about it.

Daghain
01-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I just had a conversation with a couple people about this very thing yesterday. They were saying they preferred "classic King" to "new King". I find myself in that camp a lot more as well, but I still love King, mainly because he has a very good insight into what makes people tick. Of course some books I find more interesting than others, but overall I still enjoy him as a writer. Like Ari, I used to love John Saul, but I kind of "grew out" of him over the years. I stopped reading his stuff long ago, but I still go out and get every King book on the market. Not collector's editions, per se, but generally when I see a new paperback it makes it into my shopping basket.

TerribleT
01-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I go through phases with different authors. Oe thing I love about King is he comes up with new stories, and worlds. Each of his book are different. I stopped reading Koontz, and Cussler because they write the same stories over and over, while plugging different characters into the model. ZZZzzzzZZZ You never know what to expect from King, but most likely it's gonna be FUCKED UP!!!

NeedfulKings
01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
As a reader, I rarely run out and get the newest release. I've got so much on my TBR pile as it is. I know I'll read Blaze this year and hopefully Duma Key.

I love his newer fiction, so far. Cell, Lisey's, Colorado Kid, etc. were good. I loved Bag of Bones, the final DT books, and am LOVING Dreamcatcher, so his writing is holding up for me.

As for the comics, I'll collect what I can, but I'm tired of begging my lone comic store for a few promotional items, extra copies, etc. Hell, I had to twist their arm to sell (yes, SELL) me 2 copies of Gunslinger Born when it first came out. :lol:

Daghain
01-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Needful, www.g-mart.com :D

NeedfulKings
01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
LMAO!! I know!!! But the comic store's right on my way home! :P

obscurejude
01-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Totally makes since to me Wiz. Some are burgers, some are New York Strip steaks. :lol:

All very good and satisfying though.

I'm a vegetarian. Care to expand the metaphor Matt?:lol:

Matt
01-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Hmmm...I would have to go with store mushrooms and portabellos from the field in that case. :lol:

midnightrambler34
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Perhaps. I find my loyalties are shifting to new and, frankly, more exciting authors. Doug Clegg, Brian Keene and, at the moment, Nora Roberts' "Blood Brothers".

I enjoyed Blaze but thought Lisey's Story was unreadable. As the two represented King past and King present I've come to think that King present is not for me.

I feel the same way, there are so may new authors who are putting out great work through small press houses. I enjoyed Cell, Blaze was good, Liseys Story was brutal for me, I didnt get past page 50. I was thrilled about the comics, but after a while it I lost interest. I feel since his accident his stories tend to follow the same thread...Liseys Story and Duma Key do have a common denominator. Cell, in my opinion was a pay-day, nothing less. And Blaze, well you know the story...another pay-day. Its almost like he's lost the passion of being a new writer and trying to pay his bills. IMO.

Calla_Wolf
01-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Its almost like he's lost the passion of being a new writer and trying to pay his bills. IMO.

EXACTLY!!!!!!

The killer, for me, was rewriting the Gunslinger - WHY???????????

I've read that book SO MANY TIMES - read it, listened to it, loved it. Then he goes and tinkers with it, and to this day I don't understand why. Continuity issues? Immature writing? WTF?? It stands as an AMAZING piece of fantasy writing in its original form, and is, IMO, sterile in its rewritten form. There was a time when I was excited about the signed limited coming from DMG but now...well, I don't think I'll be pouring money into Roland the Unreadable. I'd rather stick to my unspoilt paperback.

King has joined the literary club...and has, IMO, lost his uniqueness. Colorado Kid was, for me, a little special because it was something a little different. Cell was ok, Blaze was great (though once again I WISH he'd published without modernising) and Lisey sucked the big one (I wish she had been - there would have been less of that appauling dialogue...and the storyline would've improved). Do I have high hopes for Duma Key? Not really. I'll read it, for old times' sake, but if he lets me down again (and yes, I've ALWAYS - up until Bag of Bones - thought he's writing these books for ME - that's what made him so personal and special as a writer) I don't think I'll be returning to read another...unless I find 0.99pence (or cents if you prefer) copies in my local charity shop.

jayson
01-12-2008, 04:49 AM

I've read that book SO MANY TIMES - read it, listened to it, loved it. Then he goes and tinkers with it, and to this day I don't understand why. Continuity issues? Immature writing? WTF?? It stands as an AMAZING piece of fantasy writing in its original form, and is, IMO, sterile in its rewritten form.

Agreed! Much of the revised language comes off as forced. The original was obviously good enough to start so many of us on ourh paths to Tower-junkie status. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

TerribleT
01-12-2008, 05:26 AM

I've read that book SO MANY TIMES - read it, listened to it, loved it. Then he goes and tinkers with it, and to this day I don't understand why. Continuity issues? Immature writing? WTF?? It stands as an AMAZING piece of fantasy writing in its original form, and is, IMO, sterile in its rewritten form.

Agreed! Much of the revised language comes off as forced. The original was obviously good enough to start so many of us on ourh paths to Tower-junkie status. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I realize this is kinda off topic, and I apoligize in advance, but is the original still available for purchase, and if so, where?

Brice
01-12-2008, 05:29 AM

I realize this is kinda off topic, and I apoligize in advance, but is the original still available for purchase, and if so, where?

I believe you'd have to find a used copy. They are on ebay all the time though and usually a paperback can be found cheap.

Calla_Wolf
01-12-2008, 02:56 PM

The thing is, I don't really understand why King felt the need to tinker - it's almost as if he couldn't be arsed to make DT5 to 7 fit in with DT1...so he changed DT1.

wizardsrainbow
01-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Ceri-

I think that is exactly it! Over the years, the DT turned in a direction unforeseen and his writing style was different, so he went back and revised DT I so as to hold it all together.

midnightrambler34
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I remember at the Comic-Con he said that when he wrote the Gunslinger he was younger and he felt his writing skills had evolved over the years and when he often re-read the story he was unhappy with what he wrote. Unfortunatley or fortunatley, however you look at it, the need for perfection was obviously not the right thing.

Calla_Wolf
01-13-2008, 05:07 AM
I remember at the Comic-Con he said that when he wrote the Gunslinger he was younger and he felt his writing skills had evolved over the years and when he often re-read the story he was unhappy with what he wrote. Unfortunatley or fortunatley, however you look at it, the need for perfection was obviously not the right thing.

Wiz - Midnight - I guess this reopens the question of who's story is it once it's been published and read. Personally, I think of them as mine, so my attitude is, hands off.....ESPECIALLY if I love them. Would Dickens have modernised Oliver Twist or Great Expectations??

jayson
01-13-2008, 05:18 AM
Wiz - Midnight - I guess this reopens the question of who's story is it once it's been published and read. Personally, I think of them as mine, so my attitude is, hands off.....ESPECIALLY if I love them. Would Dickens have modernised Oliver Twist or Great Expectations??

Agree completely Calla Wolf. A lot of musicians I like are better musicians than they were when they started but I wouldn't want to hear them go back and re-record the old stuff. Once they release it, it is what it is, but it's mine.

Cutter
01-14-2008, 09:31 AM
For me it’s always been in cycles with King. I dropped out in the late 80’s got excited again in the 90’s, late 90’s dropped out again, jumped back in the 00’s. I’m sure I’ll drop back out again, but not right now. The last two books Blaze and Lisey’s story were top notch writing. Blaze was definitely in my top 10 books of 2007, and I read a ton of small press horror authors. I actually was getting pretty bored after The Colorado Kid, but the last two books have raised my interest in King. And I’m pretty excited about Duma Key. Also we’ve seen two pretty decent movie adaptations in 2007, and the Nightmares & Dreamscapes series was excellent. Imo, it’s been pretty good to be a King fan lately.

Now the comics and Secretary of Dreams, have been pretty so-so to me, but no worries, as I’m aware that these are different mediums. If I don’t like it, then I don’t buy it, and I won’t be missing any King writing.

Randall Flagg
01-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Rage (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220192224981&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching) continues to increase.
$324!
It is odd that a perceived shortage had driven this up in price.
I say perceived because the fact that King is holding reprints of this title shouldn't matter. There are "x" number of 1st Printings and that number will decline slowly over time but whatever that total is, it hasn't changed much in the last 10 years. What collector wants a 27th printing?

ATG
01-20-2008, 08:44 AM
The boost in value shall come when sai King, erm...passing into the clearing.

Randall Flagg
02-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Calla, have you read Duma Key?
For me it started slow, but really was an enjoyable read.
I posted this brief thought in the Duma Key thread in Cara Laughs:

I read about 60 pages and almost quit the book. I felt it was plodding.
I pushed through, and then suddenly was engrossed in the book. Half of it I read on a plane, then I almost finished it poolside. I saved the last 50 pages to sit in my room at home, and read/consumed them like a sumptuous dessert accompanied by a liqueur apéritif.
Thoroughly stunning, heartbreaking and enjoyable.

Calla_Wolf
02-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Calla, have you read Duma Key?
For me it started slow, but really was an enjoyable read.
I posted this brief thought in the Duma Key thread in Cara Laughs:

I read about 60 pages and almost quit the book. I felt it was plodding.
I pushed through, and then suddenly was engrossed in the book. Half of it I read on a plane, then I almost finished it poolside. I saved the last 50 pages to sit in my room at home, and read/consumed them like a sumptuous dessert accompanied by a liqueur apéritif.
Thoroughly stunning, heartbreaking and enjoyable.

RF

No, I haven't as yet, though your post does encourage me. Am in the middle of a Brian Keene and a JD Robb at the moment so am loathe to start a third. But having read your thoughts I think DK will be next....and I will read to page 100 at least :)

John Blaze
02-20-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't know. i still love to read, but I think my waning interest in buying everything King is more a result of my life's changes than King's change in writing quality.

However, I think most of his new books have been nothing but quick paychecks. This does not mean, however, that he doesn't have a good tale to tell once in a while. Someone said earlier that he don't have to worry about the bills anymore. I've said in other threads that he's lost the hunger, the need to worry about selling his books. He can write a bunch of random words, sign his name to it, and get a publisher to publish it. It makes the quality of most of his work go downhill, but he still has flashes of brilliance, and that's what I'm holding out for.

I myself used to be a huge fan of Anne Rice and her Vampire Chronicles, but can't bring myself to read them anymore, even though I have the whole set. Interest change.

Cutter
02-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I've said in other threads that he's lost the hunger, the need to worry about selling his books. He can write a bunch of random words, sign his name to it, and get a publisher to publish it. It makes the quality of most of his work go downhill, but he still has flashes of brilliance, and that's what I'm holding out for.

Well he King did admit that Cell was a rush job just to meet a deadline, so we know not a lot of care went into that book. You could say a quick paycheck on that one. But I think he truly put a lot of effort and was pretty proud of Lisey’s Story. But it wasn’t horror; it was more a love remembrance story with fantastical elements, so a lot of people disliked the book. In fact a lot of people are angry it won the Bram Stoker Award because it’s not horror. But I think that’s a disservice to the book and its writing, overall it was well received from the critics (as is Duma Key so far). Unfortunately I think personal preference as to what King should write won out with the fans on this book.

I also found Blaze to be a pretty good story. Let’s say we stack up Blaze against another Bachman book: Roadwork. Both of these stories were small in scope but believable stories that were entertaining to read. I don’t really find a difference in quality between the two stories, even though there’s a 30 year gap (since King reworked the story).

I think with Tom Gordon through Cell (omitting the Dark Tower books, except Susannah) there was a drop off with quality with King, but I think his last three works have been pretty good! There’s plenty left in the well, as far as I’m concerned.

jayson
02-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't know. i still love to read, but I think my waning interest in buying everything King is more a result of my life's changes than King's change in writing quality.

However, I think most of his new books have been nothing but quick paychecks. This does not mean, however, that he doesn't have a good tale to tell once in a while. Someone said earlier that he don't have to worry about the bills anymore. I've said in other threads that he's lost the hunger, the need to worry about selling his books. He can write a bunch of random words, sign his name to it, and get a publisher to publish it. It makes the quality of most of his work go downhill, but he still has flashes of brilliance, and that's what I'm holding out for.

I myself used to be a huge fan of Anne Rice and her Vampire Chronicles, but can't bring myself to read them anymore, even though I have the whole set. Interest change.

I hear you JB though I must say, Duma Key has somewhat revived my waning interest in non-DT King. I think it reads a lot more like "classic King" than anything else he's done lately.

Cutter
02-21-2008, 08:43 AM
I hear you JB though I must say, Duma Key has somewhat revived my waning interest in non-DT King. I think it reads a lot more like "classic King" than anything else he's done lately.
"classic King" this is a good example of why I think Lisey's Story has so many hater's with the hard core King fans, because it wasn't "classic King". I honestly think someone who is not a King fan with preconceptions would appreciate Lisey's Story over the die hard King fan who has preconceptions and thinks King should be writing old school horror like he used to.

Oh, who cares? Sorry if I’m derailing the thread by defending Lisey's Story. I’ll just shut up! :lol:

John Blaze
02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
No, don't shut up, what you're saying makes perfect sense.

However, I wouldn't fit into that camp. I'm of the camp who like's most of Sk's books because they are simply good books. Danse Macabre is one of my favorite books. Most people hate them.

Randall Flagg
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Look at the prices in 2005 compared to now
Excel Spreadsheet link (http://www.jeromesmith.net/King%20SL%20spreadsheet.xls)

gsvec
12-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Look at the prices in 2005 compared to now
Excel Spreadsheet link (http://www.jeromesmith.net/King%20SL%20spreadsheet.xls)
There aren't any prices since 2005 on your spreadsheet, Jerome. Did you maybe link it to the wrong version - or were you just showing us the 2005 prices?

Randall Flagg
12-13-2008, 11:16 AM
No current prices, but I think I will update, if we can get a consensus.
Most collectors have a good idea what any book is worth now. Compare a S/L From a Buick 8. I don't think it's worth $650 now. Probably more like $450 now.

Sam
12-13-2008, 04:10 PM
I concur with you RF. Also, I think the price of such books as Six Stories has fallen as well. The drop seems to be an overall percentage rather than a drop of say $200 per book. It seems to me that many of the prices I have seen for the King limiteds overall have dropped about 33%, but that's just the way they seem to me. Even books that are highly desired like The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon have sold for much less (as much as 50% less) on ebay recently.

herbertwest
12-13-2008, 04:13 PM
the current crisis could make it lose value, dont u think?
at least, what people are willing to pay now

Patrick
03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
It has been three months since the last discussion in here. Sadly for sellers (but good for buyers), my impression is that the market seems lower than before - but I don't follow it as closely as others do. Thoughts, anyone?