PDA

View Full Version : Saddest Moment in a Published Work--Nominations Closed

Aaron
11-14-2008, 05:27 PM
This thread is for members to nominate scenes for the Award for Saddest Moment in a Published Work. In order for a scene to be eligible for nomination it must occur in one of Stephen King's published works, including any of his novels, novellas, and short stories. Scenes from titles published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible.

To nominate a scene for this category, simply post your choice in this thread. In order for a scene to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated scene must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each title listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.

Deaths of major characters and other major spoilers MUST be put in spoiler tags, with a note as to what book the spoiler occurs in plain view in the non-tagged portion of the post. This is a sensitive category, so please BE RESPECTFUL of the other members

jayson
11-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Spoiler from DT-7: The Dark Tower...

Oy's reaction at Jake's graveside.

If that doesn't make you cry, check yourself for a "Made by North Central Positronics" seal because you are a robot.

Aaron
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Good one, R of G!

jayson
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks. It's one of the handful of things that is guaranteed to make me cry every time I read it.

razz
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Seconded

mae
11-14-2008, 05:34 PM
From The Green Mile:

Death of Mr. Jingles.

cozener
11-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Wizard and Glass

When Olive Thorin snuck into her sleeping husband's room to lay down with him a while then snuck out before he woke up.

jayson
11-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Wizard and Glass

When Olive Thorin snuck into her sleeping husband's room to lay down with him a while then snuck out before he woke up.

Seconded.

That's an excellent one Coz that I probably never would have thought of. Given their situation, that is a very touching and sad moment.

The Lady of Shadows
11-14-2008, 05:50 PM
:panic:

i can't decide. i can't decide.

mystima
11-14-2008, 06:39 PM
cell

when alice was killed by a rock to the head.

threw book across the room and cried for an hour...kids thought i had lost it:scared::panic:

gsvec
11-14-2008, 06:51 PM
How about when
Oy died. :(
I cried.

Sam
11-14-2008, 07:26 PM

If that doesn't make you cry, check yourself for a "Made by North Central Positronics" seal because you are a robot.

Thirded

Sam
11-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I nominate the death of Jake Chambers.

This may be the same as what I just thirded but I don't know for sure. What do you think Aaron?

John_and_Yoko
11-14-2008, 07:35 PM

Which one? :P

Anyway, for me the saddest moment (not in a tearjerker way but in a heavy-hearted way) was the end of The Dark Tower--meaning the end of the coda to Volume VII.

jayson
11-14-2008, 08:03 PM

This may be the same as what I just thirded but I don't know for sure. What do you think Aaron?

I would say that they were two separate things, at least so far as what I meant by what I posted.

Let me explain with an extended DT-7 spoiler...

I know it is just a part of the greater "In This Haze of Green and Gold" section of DT-7 which depicts the whole death of Jake sequence, but as the category was about specific moments, I was referring solely to Oy's reaction.

If Sam is talking about the thing as a whole, I'd say it's different, and I second it.

Sam
11-14-2008, 08:04 PM
The second one. (Sorry.)

Woofer
11-14-2008, 08:39 PM
I second Oy's death and the Olive and Hart Thorin scene.

And I'd like to nominate the scene from The Tommyknockers when Gard finds Peter hooked up like a battery in the shed.

razz
11-14-2008, 09:09 PM
I second Oy's death and the Olive and Hart Thorin scene.

i third both of them.

Jackie
11-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Cujo:

At the end when Tad dies :(

flaggwalkstheline
11-14-2008, 10:22 PM
I Nominate Todd climbing the water tower with a high-powered rifle at the end of apt pupil

Unfound One
11-14-2008, 11:09 PM
This isn't a specific "moment," per se, but it is incredibly sad.

IT Spoiler: the last chapters/pages of IT when everybody is forgetting again. It's just heartbreaking to me...

If we can't count that, it's cool. But I had to mention it.

Jean
11-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Nominating:

It spoilers

Eddie's death, and Richie saying they couldn't leave him there, he is afraid of the dark

All of Blaze and Roadwork... they consist of nothing else.

Duma Key spoiler
After Edgar destroys the sand daughter-thing, the last passage of that chapter: her first word was "dog", etc

Woofer
11-15-2008, 04:29 AM
AUGH! I haven't read Duma Key, and I clicked on the spoiler. AUGH!

http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/badwerewolf.gif

stone, rose, unfound door
11-15-2008, 05:59 AM

From The Green Mile:

Death of Mr. Jingles.

Wizard and Glass

How about when

Nominating:

It spoilers

Eddie's death, and Richie saying they couldn't leave him there, he is afraid of the dark

I third a lot in this category but here are the moments I third and I nominate in Salem's Lot
when Ben kills Susan

Heather19
11-15-2008, 08:20 AM

IT Spoiler: the last chapters/pages of IT when everybody is forgetting again. It's just heartbreaking to me...

I'd like to second this.

Jean
11-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Wizard and Glass

fourthed

Brice
11-16-2008, 04:06 AM

I'd like to second this.

...and I'll third it.

Randall Flagg
11-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Gage being struck and killed in Pet Semetery

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Which John Coffee was killed in the Green Mile.

When Mr Jingles is killed in the Green Mile

when Carrie dies . Does that even need a spoiler? Doesn't everybody know that happens? *shrugs*

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Thirding Jean's it moment... and oy's death...

gsvec
11-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Second RF's Pet Semetery moment and Mr. Jingles.

Darkthoughts
11-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Nominating: Chris Chambers death in The Body.

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Mr Jingles will be my official nomination though...

Brice
11-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Third Gage's death and second Chris Chamber's.

Heather19
11-16-2008, 11:35 AM
and I'll third Chris Chambers

Daghain
11-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Second John Coffee.

Jackie
11-16-2008, 07:46 PM

OMG..I second it all the way, I am not typically a 'crier' when I'm reading a book or watching a movie, but with the end of IT i came pretty damn close. That forgetting part really got me bad :(

Darkthoughts
11-17-2008, 04:28 AM
I'll third John Coffee.

Hannah
11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
I want to second Jean's nomination regarding Duma Key.

I also want to put forth my own nomination:

When Wolf dies in The TalismaN

And if I could just have one more ... or suggest it for someone who may not know what to suggest

Scott Landon's back story about his brother, and father. that completely wrecked me.

Matt
11-17-2008, 01:17 PM
I'd also like to nominate

Maddy being killed in Bag of Bones

CRinVA
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I'd also like to nominate

Maddy being killed in Bag of Bones

reading through this thread I was thinking exactly this and so iinstead of nominating I will second Matt's nomination.

jhanic
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Two:

The death of Mattie in Bag of Bones and Kyra's reaction

and

The death of Henry in Black House

John

CRinVA
11-17-2008, 01:37 PM

[/spoiler]

I second this one big time!!!

And I'll nominate one myself

How about when all the townspeople voted to give Andre Linoge what he wanted except for the sherrif in Storm of the Century

stone, rose, unfound door
11-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Seconded.

Darkthoughts
11-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Oh my word, I can't believe this hasn't been nominated before!! I utterly second or third it...or whatever we're upto.

And if I could just have one more ... or suggest it for someone who may not know what to suggest

Scott Landon's back story about his brother, and father. that completely wrecked me. I was thinking about that this afternoon, I definately third it.

The death of Henry in Black House
I third this one big time too.

Heather19
11-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Would it be at all possible to post what book the spoiler is about. I started clicking on some, and some where for books I haven't read yet.

Aaron
11-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, PLEASE list what the spoiler is for, or it kind of defeats the purpose.

mae
11-18-2008, 09:19 AM
It will be fun when the this will be awarded. I can see it now: "And the award goes to... Spoiler!"

Matt
11-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Yes, PLEASE list what the spoiler is for, or it kind of defeats the purpose.

I am going to try and force a "parameter" on the spoiler tag so people can easily fill in a description.

Like...Spoiler

Unfound One
11-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Ooooo cool.

Tiffany
11-20-2008, 07:30 AM
I second and third John Coffey and Wolf.

lophophoras
11-20-2008, 08:21 AM

Yep. This one. Broke my heart.

Jean
11-27-2008, 03:15 AM
Already nominated:

Oy's reaction at Jake's graveside. 5

When Oy died. 4

Jake's death 3

When Olive Thorin snuck into her sleeping husband's room to lay down with him a while then snuck out before he woke up. 6

-----------------

Todd climbing the water tower with a high-powered rifle 1

Mattie being killed 3

The death of Henry Leyden 3

Chris Chambers' death 3

When Carrie dies 1

when alice was killed by a rock to the head. 1

when Tad dies 2

the last chapters/pages of IT when everybody is forgetting again. 5

After Edgar destroys the sand daughter-thing, the last passage of that chapter: her first word was "dog", etc 2

Eddie's death, and Richie saying they couldn't leave him there, he is afraid of the dark 3

Death of Mr. Jingles. 4

When John Coffy was killed 4

Gage being struck and killed 3

when Ben kills Susan 1

when all the townspeople voted to give Andre Linoge what he wanted except for the sherrif 1

When Wolf dies 4

Brice
11-27-2008, 03:19 AM
Death of Mr. Jingles. 1

seconded

Jake's death 2

thirded

when Tad dies 1

seconded

the last chapters/pages of IT when everybody is forgetting again. It's just heartbreaking to me... 1

seconded...but I thought this one was already seconded :orely:

Brice
11-27-2008, 03:22 AM

I'd like to second this.

And I was right. These were on the first page....so I third it.

Jean
11-27-2008, 03:25 AM
People, wait a sec, I'm working on it right now. I have to hit "save" time to time because I don't want a sudden power shortage or server failure to kill all that work

Brice
11-27-2008, 03:31 AM
People, wait a sec, I'm working on it right now. I have to hit "save" time to time because I don't want a sudden power shortage or server failure to kill all that work

I'm sorry! I didn't realize it. I just thought it was finished and that it was an oversight...my fault. :(

Jean
11-27-2008, 03:37 AM
No, I should have warned - I usually do, at the beginning of such posts, and then remove the warning

Anyway, all other compilations have been a piece of cake comparing to this... but the bear doesn't need applause or praise, a modest statue in the central hall of the Palaver Castle will do nicely...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/goodnight_bear.jpg

Jean
11-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Already nominated:

Oy's reaction at Jake's graveside. 5

When Oy died. 4

Jake's death 3

When Olive Thorin snuck into her sleeping husband's room to lay down with him a while then snuck out before he woke up. 6

-----------------

Mattie being killed 3

Chris Chambers' death 3

When Carrie dies 1

when Tad dies 2

After Edgar destroys the sand daughter-thing, the last passage of that chapter: her first word was "dog", etc 2

Death of Mr. Jingles. 4

the last chapters/pages of IT when everybody is forgetting again. 5

Eddie's death, and Richie saying they couldn't leave him there, he is afraid of the dark 3

when Ben kills Susan 1

when all the townspeople voted to give Andre Linoge what he wanted except for the sherrif 1

When Wolf dies 4

Brice
11-27-2008, 03:48 AM
No, I should have warned - I usually do, at the beginning of such posts, and then remove the warning

Anyway, all other compilations have been a piece of cake comparing to this... but the bear doesn't need applause or praise, a modest statue in the central hall of the Palaver Castle will do nicely...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/goodnight_bear.jpg

Sorry, I already erected the statue in my town's square. :) The city is pissed but who are they to argue with a bear...or even a statue of one. :lol:

Heather19
11-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Jean can you please give me a page reference for your Duma Key nomination. I'm not exactly sure what point you're talking about, and I'd like to read over that section again.

Hannah
11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Lisey's Story Scott Landon's back story about his father and brother

I just didn't want this one to get lost. :D

Brice
11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Lisey's Story Scott Landon's back story about his father and brother

I just didn't want this one to get lost. :D

thirded

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I felt that this deserved a nomination.

Judge Farris's killing during the final attempt at infiltrating Flagg's camp in Las Vegas.

razz
11-28-2008, 08:51 PM
i really didn't feel sad right there. It was too fast paced. i got more of an ominous feeling, and a sense of hopelessness. very little sadness though. which is id, since i liked that guy.

Hbgunslinger
11-28-2008, 09:31 PM
How about when
I cried.

Seconded

Jean
11-29-2008, 01:25 AM
I felt that this deserved a nomination.

Judge Farris's killing during the final attempt at infiltrating Flagg's camp in Las Vegas.

i really didn't feel sad right there. It was too fast paced. i got more of an ominous feeling, and a sense of hopelessness. very little sadness though. which is id, since i liked that guy.

I thought it was a wonderful, glorious moment and a most enviable death... I'll add it to the list anyway, of course

Jean
11-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Jean can you please give me a page reference for your Duma Key nomination. I'm not exactly sure what point you're talking about, and I'd like to read over that section again.

The very end of Chapter 21 (The Shells by Moonlight):

Now I would just sit here by myself on the sand, and look out at the Gulf, and think about my daughter, Ilse Marie Freemantle, who had weighed six pounds and four ounces at birth, whose first word had been dog, who had once brought home a large brown balloon crayoned on a piece of construction paper, shouting exultantly, "I drawed a pitcher of you, Daddy!"
Ilse Marie Freemantle.
I remember her well.

that's when I actually cried.

Woofer
11-29-2008, 01:27 PM
I nominated a moment that's not shown.

Brice
11-29-2008, 01:36 PM
What was it, woofer?

Woofer
11-29-2008, 01:38 PM
When Gard sees Peter (the beagle) hooked up like a battery in Bobbi's shed.

That broke my heart.

Brice
11-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll second it.

Woofer
11-29-2008, 01:50 PM
:couple: Thankee big-big, Brice.

Brice
11-29-2008, 01:51 PM
You're welcome! :couple:

Heather19
11-29-2008, 01:57 PM

The very end of Chapter 21 (The Shells by Moonlight):

Now I would just sit here by myself on the sand, and look out at the Gulf, and think about my daughter, Ilse Marie Freemantle, who had weighed six pounds and four ounces at birth, whose first word had been dog, who had once brought home a large brown balloon crayoned on a piece of construction paper, shouting exultantly, "I drawed a pitcher of you, Daddy!"
Ilse Marie Freemantle.
I remember her well.

that's when I actually cried.

:couple: Thanks Jean.
I agree, that is a very heartbreaking moment. I'll third it if it hasn't been done already.

Jean
11-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I am sorry love, this list really was a tricky sonofabitch, - I was going to comb the thread another time, though, in case I had missed something. I am very grateful for this nomination, and third it - I love The Tommyknockers and that particular moment was really heartbreaking.

I will update the list Monday morning, keep nominating and seconding! In the end, nothing will be left unheeded.

Is anyone going to nominate anything from Blaze? I'd second it...

ksmithcats
11-29-2008, 03:24 PM

I think I "fourth" this one. I cried so hard I was violently ill.

oops...how did I miss page three? I "sixth" this one.

(oh, and I'll cast a side vote for the one by Woofer...those characters kill me)

Woofer
11-29-2008, 04:52 PM
I am sorry love, this list really was a tricky sonofabitch, - I was going to comb the thread another time, though, in case I had missed something. I am very grateful for this nomination, and third it - I love The Tommyknockers and that particular moment was really heartbreaking.

I will update the list Monday morning, keep nominating and seconding! In the end, nothing will be left unheeded.

Is anyone going to nominate anything from Blaze? I'd second it...

Thankee sai. :rose: :couple: :rose: I have no doubt that it was a real pain to juggle and that you didn't mean to omit mine. I think it originally got lost in the shuffle of the thread because nobody even seconded it before and there are a lot of very caring people here at tdt.com.

I think I "fourth" this one. I cried so hard I was violently ill.

oops...how did I miss page three? I "sixth" this one.

(oh, and I'll cast a side vote for the one by Woofer...those characters kill me)

Don't they just? Thankee.

John Blaze
11-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't know if this has been put up, but I doubt it.

Bridge to Terabithia, when he gets back home from the museum, all the way until he throws his paints in the stream and his dad talks to him.

That has got to be the single saddest moment in literary history, at least in my eyes.

I hope you guys have read this, and if not I gave away no plot points.

jayson
11-30-2008, 12:27 PM
That does sound sad JB, but I think it's for King works only.

Girlystevedave
11-30-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm surprised it hasn't been nominated, but from DT7...

when Eddie dies

Jean
12-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Already nominated:

Oy's reaction at Jake's graveside. 6

When Oy died. 5

Jake's death 3

when Eddie dies 1

-----------------

Mattie being killed 3

Chris Chambers' death 3

When Carrie dies 1

when Tad dies 3

"Now I would just sit here by myself on the sand, and look out at the Gulf, and think about my daughter, Ilse Marie Freemantle, who had weighed six pounds and four ounces at birth, whose first word had been dog, who had once brought home a large brown balloon crayoned on a piece of construction paper, shouting exultantly, "I drawed a pitcher of you, Daddy!"
Ilse Marie Freemantle.
I remember her well." 3

Death of Mr. Jingles. 4

the last chapters/pages of IT when everybody is forgetting again. 6

Scott Landon's back story about his father and brother 3

when Ben kills Susan 1

Judge Farris's killing during the final attempt at infiltrating Flagg's camp in Las Vegas. 1

When Wolf dies 4

When Gard sees Peter (the beagle) hooked up like a battery in Bobbi's shed. 4

bluelph24
12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
i would like to sixth the It saddest scene. that scene, because of the buildup to it, nearly makes me weep every time i read it. i've read the book a handful of times and wish that that scene were different everytime. it is because of that ending that i went on to read everything else sk wrote. i sixth IT, definitly

B Rag
12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I third the Cujo scene.

Aaron
12-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Nominations for this category close later today.