PDA

View Full Version : Best Supporting Character--Nominations Closed

Aaron
11-14-2008, 04:55 PM
This thread is for members to nominate characters for the Award for Best Supporting Character. In order for a character to be eligible for nomination they must satisfy the definition of a supporting character listed below, and they must be a character from one of Stephen King's published works, including any of his novels, novellas, and short stories. Characters from titles published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible.

To nominate a character for this category, simply post your choice in this thread. In order for a character to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated character must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each character listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.

Supporting Character- Any character in a literary work whose contribution to the advancement of the plot, protagonist, or antogonist is significant, without being the main villain or hero/heroine of the story.

Aaron
11-14-2008, 04:59 PM
And I am actually going to start this one...

Wolf from The Talisman

I had to...Jack Sawyer is sitting on my lap at the moment. :D

mae
11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Jud Crandall in Pet Sematary.

jayson
11-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Jake Chambers

(bet nobody saw that one coming from me :lol:)

Ben Mears
11-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Mark Petrie

The Lady of Shadows
11-14-2008, 05:51 PM
:panic:

i can't decide. i can't decide.

razz
11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
I nominate Jonathan (Johnny) Marinville, Desperation.

John_and_Yoko
11-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know if he counts, but if he does, I nominate Oy.

Just love that little bumbler.... :D

Sam
11-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I second Jake Chambers from The Dark Tower series. He gave Roland his humanity back.

jayson
11-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't know if he counts, but if he does, I nominate Oy.

Just love that little bumbler.... :D

I'd say Oy counts as much as any other member of Roland's tet, and I second the nomination.

Woofer
11-14-2008, 08:41 PM
I'd like to third Oy and second Wolf, Johnny, and Jud.

Brice
11-14-2008, 09:08 PM
...and I'll third Wolf, Johnny, and Jud. . I'll also nominate Tom Cullen. M-O-O-N, that spells nominate.

razz
11-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I second Tom Cullen. M-O-O-N, that spell second too! :P

mystima
11-14-2008, 10:41 PM
i third tom cullen...

Unfound One
11-14-2008, 11:00 PM
I'll third Jake Chambers.

Also, I'd like to nominate Henry Leyden from Black House.

Jean
11-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Seconding:

Henry Leyden (Black House)

Nominating:

Wireman (Duma Key)

gsvec
11-14-2008, 11:48 PM
I'll second Wireman!

Been too long since I read Black House . . .

Woofer
11-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Thirding Henry Leyden.

razz
11-15-2008, 05:41 AM
I third Wireman. One of my favorite characters ever. :)

stone, rose, unfound door
11-15-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm thirding Wolf, seconding Oy, thirding Jake and Tom Cullen.

Darkthoughts
11-15-2008, 08:50 AM
I third Wolf, Jake and Henry.

And I'd like to nominate Chris Chambers from The Body. I love that kid.

Heather19
11-15-2008, 08:57 AM
I'll definitely second Chris Chambers

Darkthoughts
11-15-2008, 09:12 AM
:couple:

Matt
11-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Wow! This is going great.

Daghain
11-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I'll third Chris Chambers and nominate Eddie Dean. :)

Jean
11-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Now I am lost... how do we define supporting characters? I thought ka-tet (here or in The Stand or in It) were protagonists?

Daghain
11-15-2008, 10:15 AM
I would think Roland would be the protagonist, and the ka-tet supporting characters. :orely:

Ves'Ka Gan
11-15-2008, 01:05 PM
All my first thoughts have been thirded by now...but I will be back.

11-15-2008, 03:47 PM
I'd like to third Chris Chambers (I totally fell in love with him back when I was 12) but it's already been done. :(

Sam
11-15-2008, 04:10 PM
I would like to nominate Mother Abigail.

Aaron
11-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Now I am lost... how do we define supporting characters? I thought ka-tet (here or in The Stand or in It) were protagonists?

The members of Roland's ka-tet were supporting characters, mainly because none of them were written as protagonists throughout the entire series. Eddie and Susannah werent even in the first book, and Jake wasmostly absent in the second book. Both of the first two books clearly centered on Roland alone. So I would say that they are very strong supporting characters, but supporting just the same.

Now in the case of the characters from IT, they were written as protagonists. Most of them, at least. Stan was only supporting, mainly because he offed himself in the present-tense of the story early on. All of the other losers would be protagonists, in my opinion. Since the story is still a coherent chronology from start to finish as told and experienced from their point of view. It is one of the unique beauties of the novel.

In The Stand I would have to say Stu and Larry are the only ones written as protagonists for the duration of the entire novel, though I am not saying that is law for the purposes of the awards. I am willing to hear anyone who would like to make a case otherwise. Frannie and Nick were close to being protagonists, but they werent parts of the final stand. And the others who were a part of the final stand weren't major players in the story until the Boulder Free Zone storyline commenced.

But I am very glad that it was brought up. These are just my opinions. That's part of why the thread is here--so that we can discuss the rationale for these choices. Thanks, Jean. 8)

John_and_Yoko
11-15-2008, 08:48 PM
That could almost be its own thread right there, what constitutes a protagonist vs. a supporting character. Of course, it's probably more obvious in King's non-epic works, and you pretty much covered the works for which it might be more ambiguous.

But I like how you've been thinking it through, and having read all of those I have to say I agree with you. :) The closest I might come to disagreeing is by saying that Stu is clearly more of a protagonist than Larry, but then Bill is clearly more of a protagonist than the other Losers, as well. I guess it's just a matter of "stronger protagonist" like you mentioned "strong supporting characters." In other words, the "strong protagonists" are LITERALLY there RIGHT at the beginning and end, as Stu and Bill were.

Also, Frannie and Nick are arguably established as protagonists from the start, along with Stu and Larry although Nick is arguably a "false protagonist," since he dies in Part II, before Part III even begins. Same for Stanley Uris in IT--he's established thus from the start, but then kills himself at the end of his introductory scene, and only appears in the memories of the other characters flashing back to the past story (hence not a protagonist). Getting back to The Stand, though, Frannie remains alive, but as you say, she doesn't really do all that much (being pregnant might have something to do with it, but still).

So I guess you're right in declaring only Stu and Larry protagonists. The only argument there would be that Larry dies in the climax and thus doesn't see the denouement--which also holds for Eddie in IT. I personally would still count them as protagonists, but someone might make that argument that they're not.

Otherwise, it might be argued that Mike Hanlon isn't a protagonist by your definition, since he doesn't face IT with the others at the end, not as an adult. Then again, he does as a kid, and he INTENDED to do so as an adult, but was prevented from it.

I think Mike's situation is comparable to Stu's in The Stand, so maybe you're right after all in saying Mike is a protagonist--besides, he is the "voice" of the Losers' club, the chronicler of their efforts and Derry's history. On the other hand, one could also argue the other way, that since Stu doesn't actually make it, he isn't a "real" protagonist, but by that logic maybe you'd have to consider Frodo to not be the protagonist of The Lord of the Rings, and who wants to argue that?

In sum, I do agree with your assessments, just that Stu and Bill are "PRIMARY" protagonists, while Larry and the other Losers are "secondary protagonists."

Randall Flagg
11-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Second Eddie. Third Oy

Randall Flagg
11-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Nominate Cort

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I fourth Wolf.

jayson
11-16-2008, 08:10 AM
I'll second Cort. Good one RF!

Darkthoughts
11-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Stone - you can fourth Chris Chambers, I think people can second, third etc as much as they like :thumbsup:

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I would like to second Mother Abigail.

Brice
11-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I'll third Cort and Mother Abigail.

Jean
11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Aaron: maybe "Protagonist" is just a word that is too demanding. I know, for example, opinions (from some .net discussions) that deny to Roland the right to be called protagonist of this story at all; also, if we define him as someone who walks the book from the beginning to the end, we would absolutely lose the difference between, say, Susannah, Callahan and Aaron Deepneau, and would have to vote for only one of these last, although their contribution to the story is substantially different, and thus the mastery with wich they are developed shows different faucets of Mr.King's talent. I personally see at least three circles of characters in all King book: the main - the secondary (or not-so-main, or whatever) - the episodic (minor); thus, on the example of the DT we would have: Roland & the ka-tet - Susan & Callahan& - Lady Talitha & Ben Slightman. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

John_and_Yoko
11-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Aaron: maybe "Protagonist" is just a word that is too demanding. I know, for example, opinions (from some .net discussions) that deny to Roland the right to be called protagonist of this story at all; also, if we define him as someone who walks the book from the beginning to the end, we would absolutely lose the difference between, say, Susannah, Callahan and Aaron Deepneau, and would have to vote for only one of these last, although their contribution to the story is substantially different, and thus the mastery with wich they are developed shows different faucets of Mr.King's talent. I personally see at least three circles of characters in all King book: the main - the secondary (or not-so-main, or whatever) - the episodic (minor); thus, on the example of the DT we would have: Roland & the ka-tet - Susan & Callahan& - Lady Talitha & Ben Slightman. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Wait--I'm confused.

First you say Susannah is a secondary character, then you say the ka-tet are "main" characters, and then you say that SUSAN is a secondary character....

*is confused*

Jean
11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
No. I never said Susannah was a secondary character. I said if we put Roland, and only him, in the "protagonist" category, we'll have to make no difference between the characters who are, to my mind, at such different levels of importance as Susannah, Callahan, and Aaron Deepneau. That is why I suggested disposing of the "protagonist" idea altogether and introducing the three-level system instead.

John_and_Yoko
11-16-2008, 12:51 PM
No. I never said Susannah was a secondary character. I said if we put Roland, and only him, in the "protagonist" category, we'll have to make no difference between the characters who are, to my mind, at such different levels of importance as Susannah, Callahan, and Aaron Deepneau. That is why I suggested disposing of the "protagonist" idea altogether and introducing the three-level system instead.

Ah, okay, I gotcha now.

Sorry, it was the similar-sounding names plus the mention of Callahan after them both that confused me.... :blush:

Randall Flagg
11-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Jean, WADR, I don't think this thread is intended for nominations, not deep debate.
Aaron defined it rather well.

Aaron
11-16-2008, 02:52 PM
The three-tiered system works as a generalization, but in the majority of King's books there is a very clear protagonist. I do agree that it is tough to pin for the DT series, but Roland definitely stands alone in his own tier above that of his ka-tet. A good example of this is that

DTVII Spoiler:Roland is the only one in the loop.

Another good way to designate the protagonist is that the story wouldnt exist without them. While the story might not have been as good without Eddie, Jake, Susannah, or Oy, it could still continue, because the story is Roland's quest for the Tower. Whereas without Roland, none of these characters would have ever even known there was a Tower.

Woofer
11-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Nominating Nick Andros for secondary in light of Aaron's posts.

(Aaron, is that okay? I had originally nominated him for protagonist since I feel The Stand has multiple protagonists.)

Aaron
11-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Yeah, totally. Nick started as one of the protagonists for sure, but since he died two-thirds of the way into the book he doesnt really meet the full requirements. I would say he is a great pick for best supporting.

Randall Flagg
11-17-2008, 11:25 AM
second Nick

Hannah
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Can I nominate Speedy - from Talisman? :D I always had a fondness for him.

fernandito
11-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Nominating John Edward Marinville from Desperation.

CRinVA
11-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I nominate Pere Callahan

sarah
11-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I'll nominate Rosalita.

mae
11-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Gasher is a pretty minor character though, no?

Daghain
11-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Seconded!

ETA: That second was for John Edward Marinville. You guys post too fast! :lol:

fernandito
11-17-2008, 03:22 PM
ETA: That second was for John Edward Marinville!

:dance:

Come on people, let's give it up for Johnny!

Woofer
11-18-2008, 02:35 AM
I nominate Jonathan (Johnny) Marinville, Desperation.

I'd like to third Oy and second Wolf, Johnny, and Jud.

Nominating John Edward Marinville from Desperation.

Seconded!

ETA: That second was for John Edward Marinville. You guys post too fast! :lol:

ETA: That second was for John Edward Marinville!

:dance:

Come on people, let's give it up for Johnny!

feev! Get with the program! :cyclops: Johnny only needed a third. He was nominated and seconded on page one.

samantha
11-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello There,

I'm new (well, I joined back in July but never posted before) and really enjoying this palaver!

I'll nominate Ted Brautigan from Hearts in Atlantis and I'll second Mark Petrie.

11-19-2008, 02:43 PM
I third Mark Petrie.

Randall Flagg
11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Second Ted Brautigan

TickTockWoman
11-19-2008, 07:56 PM
I second Speedy and nominate Lloyd Henreid from The Stand.

Tiffany
11-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Can I nominate Speedy - from Talisman? :D I always had a fondness for him.

I third this.

jayson
11-20-2008, 07:30 AM
I'll fourth or fifth or whatever Speedy.

Jean
11-21-2008, 02:32 AM
So far have been nominated (the sign of plus means they have also been seconded/thirded etc):

Wolf +
Jud Crandall +
Jake Chambers +
Oy +
Tom Cullen +
Henry Leyden +
Wireman +
Chris Chambers +
Eddie Dean +
Mother Abagail +
Nick Andros +
Speedy +
Pere Callahan +
Ted Brautigan +
Susannah +

Nominations moved to Best Minor Character:

Cort
Rosalita

Nominations moved to Best Minor Antagonists:

Gasher
Lloyd Henreid

Now, here are characters who, being part of a ka-tet, in my opinion belong to the Protagonist thread. I need your opinions on that:

Mark Petrie +
Jonathan (Johnny) Marinville +

Jean
11-21-2008, 02:33 AM
I nominate Susannah and second Callahan, which is already reflected in the post above

ManOfWesternesse
11-21-2008, 02:57 AM
Second both Eddie & Susannah.

Jean
11-21-2008, 03:00 AM
added

Randall Flagg
11-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Jean, any chance of using the + sign for seconded, and the * for thirded?

Jean
11-21-2008, 07:46 AM
yes! I'll go through them another time soon (and all others, too, of course), I think I'll add more pluses to make it graphic

Jean
11-22-2008, 03:19 AM
Jake Chambers 5
Mother Abagail 4
Wolf 6
Jud Crandall 3
Mark Petrie 3
Oy 5
Tom Cullen 5
Henry Leyden 4
Wireman 3
Chris Chambers 4
Eddie Dean 3
Nick Andros 6
Speedy 4
Callahan 2
Ted Brautigan 2
Susannah 2
Stebbins 3

Brice
11-22-2008, 04:05 AM
I'll third Brautigan, Susannah, and Callahan

Melike
11-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I'd like to nominate Henry Leyden from Black House.

Second is Wireman from Duma Key.

Third is Speedy Parker from Talisman.

Jean
11-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Jake Chambers 5
Mother Abagail 4
Wolf 6
Jud Crandall 3
Mark Petrie 3
Oy 5
Tom Cullen 5
Henry Leyden 5
Wireman 4
Chris Chambers 4
Eddie Dean 3
Nick Andros 6
Speedy 5
Callahan 3
Ted Brautigan 5
Susannah 3
Stebbins 3

Jean
11-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Melike darling, I have counted your nominations as seconding/thirding etc the already nominated characters; thus, you still have one nomination of your own left!

::envious bear::

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Melike
11-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Melike darling, I have counted your nominations as seconding/thirding etc the already nominated characters; thus, you still have one nomination of your own left!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Hmm, thinking.

Melike
11-24-2008, 05:01 AM

Hmm, thinking.

p.s.:I just realised that I've totally got some rules of voting wrong. Sorry.

Polly Chalmers from Needful Things

11-24-2008, 12:54 PM
I third or fourth Susannah, of course !

theBeamisHome
11-24-2008, 12:57 PM
I nominate John Coffy

Ben Mears
11-25-2008, 04:30 AM
Mark Petrie is important because he set the template for SK's insightful and well developed child chracters.

Jean
11-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Jake Chambers 5
Mother Abagail 4
Wolf 6
Jud Crandall 3
Mark Petrie 3
Oy 5
Tom Cullen 5
Henry Leyden 5
Wireman 4
Chris Chambers 4
Eddie Dean 3
Nick Andros 6
Speedy 5
Callahan 3
Ted Brautigan 5
Susannah 4
Stebbins 3
Polly Chalmers 1
John Coffey 1
McVries 4

Jean
11-27-2008, 02:46 AM
The fourth vote for McVries (transferred from Minor) is mine.

of course! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gif

Mark Petrie is important because he set the template for SK's insightful and well developed child chracters.

does this mean you're supporting the nomination?

Brice
11-27-2008, 02:49 AM
I second John Coffey, but not John Coffy. :nope:

Ben Mears
11-27-2008, 09:39 AM
The fourth vote for McVries (transferred from Minor) is mine.

of course! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gif

does this mean you're supporting the nomination?

Yes. I nominated him.

ksmithcats
11-29-2008, 06:25 PM
6th for Oy. He was my favorite character in the entire Epic. Deep in the childlike corner of my heart I pretend my lunatic Chihuahua is a Bumbler. She's certainly loyal and ferocious enough. :D

Jean
12-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Jake Chambers 5
Mother Abagail 4
Wolf 6
Jud Crandall 3
Mark Petrie 3
Oy 6
Tom Cullen 5
Henry Leyden 5
Wireman 4
Chris Chambers 4
Eddie Dean 3
Nick Andros 6
Speedy 5
Callahan 3
Ted Brautigan 5
Susannah 4
Stebbins 3
Polly Chalmers 1
John Coffey 3
McVries 4

mae
12-01-2008, 11:37 AM
John Coffey hasn't been seconded? I second him.

Jean
12-01-2008, 11:42 AM
yes, he has - I'm in the process of editing now - I have counted your vote, too.

Aaron
12-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Nominations for this category close later today.