PDA

View Full Version : The Black Donnellys

OchrisO
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh my God, this show is amazing. I can't believe I nearly passed on it. I saw previews for it, but missed the first episode and never picked up on it. Luckily you can watch all of the episodes on the network website: http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full_episodes/blackdonnellys.shtml

I'm thinking that I actually like it more than The Sopranos. I have watched all 13 episodes in the past few days and every one is amazing.
I'm pretty pissed that it got cancelled. There's a movement to bring it back and HDnet has started reairing the episodes. I hope it works.

Hannah
07-12-2007, 10:38 AM
I saw the first episode, and I was pretty impressed. Then I tried to watch the second episode and it seemed like it lost some momentum or excitement or something. Would you say that it gets better after that Chris?

OchrisO
07-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I thought it did. It builds pretty quickly all the way through it.

Mattrick
08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I seen a few episodes. Saying it's better than the Soprano's is a bit of stretch. Sopranos is one of the best put together, if not THE best put together show of all time. No show that I've seen has matched the artistic skills of The Sopranos. They aired on Monday's here which was bad, other stuff I had to watch.

I remember really liking it but better than Sopranos? No way. Not even Six Feet Under is better than The Sopranos.

OchrisO
08-23-2007, 11:12 AM
The Sopranos had the worst ending in a TV series ever, so I am jaded about it now.

Mattrick
08-23-2007, 01:56 PM
The ending was great. Made complete sense with the show. For those who haven't seen it... They played 'don't stop believing' by Journey. It tells the story of Tony and Carmella. They end it on the perfect note. You hear 'don't stop believing, hold on to that feeling' telling us that it's just going to keep going. The show is over but don't forget how great it was. You see Tony is still worried about getting whacked, indictments and the family situation is still there. After everything that happened no one really moved on, they were right back at the beginning; Meadow is in between things, AJ still hasn't accomplished anything, Carmella hasn't moved on and Tony is without a shrink.

I thought the ending was brilliant. I've watched it a few times and I really enjoy it.

A lot of people thought Tony got whacked and is enough evidence for it, but I think Chase put it all there on purpose. I think the song told you what you needed to do with the line 'the movie never ends it goes on, and on and on and on.

I heard people say 'it should have ending with Tony blowing everyone away with a shotgun or everyone dying' but those people obviously never understood how the show actually was. It was much more about characters and relationships than violence. The shows direction changed in season 4 and was less and less about the mob and many people didn't like it. Season Six was the best season of anything.