PDA

View Full Version : Leave it wrapped or not?

Tatts4Life
11-14-2008, 06:13 AM
After reading the News letter about the 30-50 AE LSOE that could have a personal drawing in them, and how it also say that most of the books will remain in their shrink wrap. Then reading what both Wizard and Mulleins have said.

I've placed my order.

I couldn't help myself but, when I placed the order for the AE editions I started humming "I've got a golden ticket" from Willy Wonka :dance: This reminds of that. You have to buy AE editions to find the ticket. Class Dismissed.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

:wtf::wtf::wtf: When I told my wife about the "hidden remarques" she started singing the same song! THAT is too cool for words.

My question is, Will you unwrap your book to see if you are one of those lucky few to have a hand drawn picture in yours? And a second question Do you think removing the shrink wrap detracts from the book value, Or does it not matter to you?

Room 217 Caretaker
11-14-2008, 06:27 AM
After reading the News letter about the 30-50 AE LSOE that could have a personal drawing in them, and how it also say that most of the books will remain in their shrink wrap. Then reading what both Wizard and Mulleins have said.

I've placed my order.

I couldn't help myself but, when I placed the order for the AE editions I started humming "I've got a golden ticket" from Willy Wonka :dance: This reminds of that. You have to buy AE editions to find the ticket. Class Dismissed.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

:wtf::wtf::wtf: When I told my wife about the "hidden remarques" she started singing the same song! THAT is too cool for words.

My question is, Will you unwrap your book to see if you are one of those lucky few to have a hand drawn picture in yours? And a second question Do you think removing the shrink wrap detracts from the book value, Or does it not matter to you?

Imagine if Charlie didn't open his wrapper up on the last chocolate bar he bought. First, it would have made for a very short movie. Second, He would have missed out. He didn't hesitate......Now he owns all the chocolate.

I'm not hesitating. I will open my copies. IMO....it doesn't hurt the value.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

CRinVA
11-14-2008, 06:33 AM
I am never selling my copy so why not open it up! :-)

Personally, I do not own any valuable King book that is still in shrinkwrap; in addition, when you see auctions that state new still in shrink wrap (to get the bidding higher in some cases) be wary that the seller might just have the capability to shrinkwrap anything they own. it's not that big a deal IMHO. :-)

Besides what if per chance an unsigned copy slipped through the cracks; if you never open it up you would never know that you didn't get what you paid for! Yes, be gentle with what you open up, but do indeed open it up - that's my recommendation and I'm sticking by it! :-)

e_taylor
11-14-2008, 06:36 AM
I posed a similar question to a very knowledgeable collector here on this website, and he pointed out some common sense that had soared over my head.

We go to such extremes to keep books in pristine condition, archival brodart jackets, etc. But the shrinkwrap is NOT acid neutral, and if left for years could damage the book/jacket/slipcase.

Add in the possibility that a signature is missing from your copy, and you wouldn't want to sell it ten years from now to someone who opens it to find no signature!

As a bonus this time around, the hidden remarques, and I'll definitely be opening my copies.

As has also been mentioned before, sealed copies tend to be more attractive to the speculator as opposed to the collector.

wizardsrainbow
11-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Open, definitely and I agree, shrinkwrap can come off without detracting from the value in a collector's mind. Acknowledge that there are people who will pay higher prices for shrinkwrapped items.

Tatts4Life
11-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Well you all make great points and I see you all feel the way I do when it comes to the value of a book. I just hope that my wife does buy me an AE of LSOE Christmas since she's being such a tease about if she's getting me one or not.

Rahfa
11-14-2008, 07:24 AM
No brainer, open...in fact, buying a shrinkwrapped copy on the secondary market isn't guarantee of anything...I think you can shrinkwrap things at many crafts stores for a pittance.

The Red Rose
11-14-2008, 07:33 AM
We will be opening it without doubt. If that golden ticket is there then :rock:

Just think if there is a remarque in your copy and you never get to see it because you choose to not remove the shrink wrap. Wear cotton gloves and handle with care, store correctly and the value will remain regardless of the wrapper IMO.

Brice
11-14-2008, 07:35 AM
You can very easily...and with a little effort you can do it as well as the original shrinkwrapping was done.

I can't even imagine not ever opening a book. It makes me sad just to think about it. :(

The Red Rose
11-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Exactly Brice, what a waste it would be!

jhanic
11-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I'll be opening mine.

John

Randall Flagg
11-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Will the person who voted no please come in and offer your thoughts as to why not?

agrabin
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Will the person who voted no please come in and offer your thoughts as to why not?

It wasn't me who voted no, and I haven't voted yet...
...but consider this...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Schrödinger's Cat: A cat, along with a flask containing a poison, is placed in a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence. If a Geiger counter detects radiation then the flask is shattered, releasing the poison which kills the cat. Quantum mechanics suggests that after a while the cat is simultaneously alive and dead. Yet, when we look in the box, we see the cat either alive or dead, not a mixture of alive and dead.Quantum mechanics

....in effect, if you open the wrapped book it becomes either remarqued or not remarqued..

...if you do not open the wrapped book it remains remarqued and not remarqued simultaneously..

..you can have one or the other or, in fact, you can have both..

..now, anyone want to rethink? :evil::evil:

Randall Flagg
11-14-2008, 10:55 AM
If a tree falls in a forest...:evil:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/3/9/0/39053c61c19246d2197dc26df468cf4c.png

Tatts4Life
11-14-2008, 11:14 AM

LOL I was thinking of making it a public poll.

agrabin
11-14-2008, 11:27 AM
If a tree falls in a forest...:evil:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/3/9/0/39053c61c19246d2197dc26df468cf4c.png

Put it another way --
-- if the figure of 30-50 is correct then it would be safe to assume that a figure of 40 could be used to determine the odds of getting one.

If you buy an AE your chances of getting a remarque is 100/1
I have no doubt there are those who will buy 2 thereby cutting the odds to 50/1.
Is it better to open and be disappointed to find none or is it better to imagine that under that still pristine wrap there lies a 'golden ticket'.
You decide.. :excited: or :cry: or :unsure:

nyy3723a
11-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Sort of the same reason come collectors will buy unopened packs of vintage sports cards and not open them. There MAY be a Mickey Mantle in there, but if I open it and its not there, then I surelydon't have one.

Jackie
11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Sorry to sound like such a noob here...but someone please tell me what LSOE stands for?

LadyHitchhiker
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Little Sisters of Eluria. :D

jhanic
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
LSOE=Little Sisters of Eluria

King's newest just announced by Grant.

John

Jackie
11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
OoOo where can this be obtained? And how much?

jhanic
11-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Grant's Little Sisters of Eluria ordering page (https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-1-lsoe.html)

The price for the numbered Artist's edition is $95 plus $8 shipping.

They won't charge your credit card until the book is shipped.

John

LadyHitchhiker
11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
If I had a million dollars...
I'd buy me a copy...
If I had a million dollars..
maybe a deluxe signed one at that...

Room 217 Caretaker
11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
If I had a million dollars...
I'd buy me a copy...
If I had a million dollars..
maybe a deluxe signed one at that...

and a whole lot of Mac & Cheese :dance:

I wonder if anyone else knows what we are talking about :doh:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Ari_Racing
11-14-2008, 02:44 PM
LOL
With that song my girlfriend started learning english listening. :)

tippy4
11-14-2008, 03:14 PM
If I had a million dollars, I'd buy me an exotic pet.
Yep...like a llama...or an emu.

I think the poll can be closed. I doubt many will keep it sealed based on the possible "golden ticket" inside. Even though the chance is about 1%.

Although, I do have several copies of the DT7AE still sealed, and there is a chance one of them may contain a Michael Whelan doodle. But a doodle is nothing compared to the caliber of the paintings I have seen that are in the LSOEAEs.

However, if these sell out from the publisher, and there is one on ebay with shrinkwrap and one without shrinkwrap, the one without shrinkwrap would most likely sell for more because of the possibility it may contain a painting. But the difference would be minimal.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2008, 03:49 PM
If you buy an AE your chances of getting a remarque is 100/1
I have no doubt there are those who will buy 2 thereby cutting the odds to 50/1.

Just to quibble a bit. Similar to a lottery, if your odds are 100/1, buying two "tickets" (books) does not cut your odds in half, it means you have two 100/1 chances.

Nerak
11-14-2008, 04:34 PM
OPEN OPEN OPEN!!

Archival bags, boxes, broadart jacket covers...so much stuff to protect your new investment! The chance to have an original (some in oil, I think I heard) Michael Whelan put as your desktop! PRICELESS!!

And I LOVE that song!! :dance:

Tatts4Life
11-14-2008, 04:37 PM
LOL we've got 2 people who have voted NO.

Tatts4Life
11-14-2008, 04:38 PM
OPEN OPEN OPEN!!

Archival bags, boxes, broadart jacket covers...so much stuff to protect your new investment! The chance to have an original (some in oil, I think I heard) Michael Whelan put as your desktop! PRICELESS!!

And I LOVE that song!! :dance:

Awesome. I hope I'm one of those lucky few. I might just by a book and not tell my wife just yet. Then when Christmas comes I can have 2.

Jackie
11-14-2008, 06:21 PM
You know, I know it's random but i just had a very funny and dirty thought about the title of this thread

Leave it wrapped or not?

Any other dirty minds in here get what I'm thinking? :P

Tatts4Life
11-14-2008, 06:56 PM
You know, I know it's random but i just had a very funny and dirty thought about the title of this thread

Leave it wrapped or not?

LOL yeah I didn't know how to title this thread. Pretty much any way would sound sound dirty.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Leave it wrapped or not?

Yes. (>^.(>0.o)>

Scoogs
11-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I have a least one book that was actually damaged by old shrinkwrap, so I open everything that I buy. Besides, how else am I going to look at the artwork if it's all sealed up in shrinkwrap?

carlosdetweiller
11-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a least one book that was actually damaged by old shrinkwrap

What type of damage did it cause?

Scoogs
11-15-2008, 01:33 PM
The book had some foil stamping on it and the plastic wrap had actually bonded to the foil. The bond started to remove some of the color layer on the foil.
(I'm not the original owner, so I can't be certain of the temperature extremes the book may, or may not have been stored at.)

I suspect something like foil hotstamping would be more prone to shrinkwrap damage than say, a dust jacket. However, it could potentially bond to the gloss coating of the paper. That, or maybe some yellowing at the edges seem to be the most likely forms of potential damage from shrinkwrap.

Nerak
11-15-2008, 06:32 PM
ooo yeah, so open, cause they are going to be hotstamped on the cases!

Patrick
11-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Karen has spoken!

I'll just throw in my vote. I never leave SK books in shrinkwrap. I like to look at them.

Tatts4Life
11-16-2008, 05:45 AM
ooo yeah, so open, cause they are going to be hotstamped on the cases!

yeah after reading that story I might have my wife open it up as soon as it comes in the mail. That is if she does buy it for me for Christmas like the awesome wife that she is.

Nerak
11-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Well, you don't have to be THAT quick about it.

And I don't know if this shrink wrap is going to do the same thing as shrink wrap from years ago.

I have some books at the office that I need to vaccume off the wrap cause it is STUCK and Pealing at the same time! UGH!!

Tatts4Life
11-16-2008, 07:20 AM
man that really sucks

Patrick
11-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Karen has spoken!

I'll just throw in my vote. I never leave SK books in shrinkwrap. I like to look at them.

I just realized that the one exception is my set of "Desperation/Regulators with Nightlight" in shrinkwrap because I like the whole set together with the promo item.

Think I should be concerned?

e_taylor
11-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Karen has spoken!

I just realized that the one exception is my set of "Desperation/Regulators with Nightlight" in shrinkwrap because I like the whole set together with the promo item.

Probably not - really the only valuable thing is the promo light, so worst case scenario, you salvage that and pick up two cheap 1sts, no?

jhanic
11-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I still have that package too. I also have the boxed mass paperback set of Green Mile with a screensaver in the original shrinkwrap.

John

NeedfulKings
11-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I'll open mine for sure! I will remolve it from the slipcase, hold it, open it, remove the dust jacket and admire DMG's handiwork, etc.

I only have one book in shrinkwrap (DTIV Proof) and it's only laziness that keeps it that way! :P

BTW, I have dropped a shrinkwrapped book and both bottom corners were horribly bumped. If I had a choice between a "New, sealed" copy or a "fine" copy, I'm going with fine. It's a much more positive description of the book.

Cheers!

Room 217 Caretaker
11-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Nerak,

With all the concerns of shrinkwrap damaging books, We wouldn't want to see the AE editions damaged in anyway due to faulty shrinkwrap. I want to propose the following idea to Grant:

I should head up a team of members to unwrap EACH AE edition and carefully evaluate and check for damage. :thumbsup:

This way you are SURE to have a very happy customer base.

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
11-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Karen has spoken!

Probably not - really the only valuable thing is the promo light, so worst case scenario, you salvage that and pick up two cheap 1sts, no?
Good point. Thanks, I feel better.

Nerak,

With all the concerns of shrinkwrap damaging books, We wouldn't want to see the AE editions damaged in anyway due to faulty shrinkwrap. I want to propose the following idea to Grant:

I should head up a team of members to unwrap EACH AE edition and carefully evaluate and check for damage. :thumbsup:

This way you are SURE to have a very happy customer base.

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
Pssst... Ralph, you might get better traction with this offer if you offer to take off the shrinkwrap and put archival acid-free dustjackets on each copy... (at least until you find what you're looking for and then promptly quit.)

Sir_Boomme
11-18-2008, 06:33 AM

Leave it wrapped or not?

LOL yeah I didn't know how to title this thread. Pretty much any way would sound sound dirty.

needless to say... i always leave it wrapped... unless i know the person i'm giving it to very very well.

although it's probably not a good idea to "shrink" wrap it... that defeats the purpose.

yep... i was one of those dirty minds that liked the title.

NeedfulKings
11-18-2008, 07:54 PM
:scared:

:lol:

:lol:

bast_imret
11-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh yea, I'm upwrapping mine. Slowly and methodically, like Charlie peeking under the foil of his Wonka bar, just hoping for my golden Whelan ticket :dance: