PDA

View Full Version : Little Sisters of Eluria (Revised Gunslinger)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

e_taylor
07-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, for my first post here, I figured I'd make a fool of myself by asking what I'm sure is a constant "newbie" question. None the less here it goes: Donald M. Grant's homepage mentions a new book containing the revised edition of the Gunslinger aswell as The Little Sisters of Eluria. Is this still happening? Does anyone have ANY info on it? The website ooks like it hasnt been updated for quite sometime, so did this fall through?

Sorry if this has been asked thousands of times, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything - please excuse my ignorance!

Wuducynn
07-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Not a foolish question at all here is the latest -

Update from the moderator over at the Stephen King Message Board..

"I don't have a firm date for its release. The artwork is just about finished but the tip sheets (the page for the signatures) has not been signed yet and it may be this fall before that could happen. The book would then be bound with the signed pages. This is not an unusual length of time for production of a signed limited edition book with illustrations."

Matt
07-09-2007, 11:15 AM
No stupid questions out here e taylor.

The site is dedicated to old fans, new fans and everyone in between.

Our goal is to make it so everyone is comfortable. :grouphug:

Wuducynn
07-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah your welcome Matt no problem...

Matt
07-09-2007, 12:29 PM
?

And thank you so much

Wuducynn
07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I posted an update on this book and I was being a smart-ass with you... :D

Matt
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Ah, I thought you were made at me for mentioning the site on dt.net. :lol:

Wuducynn
07-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Matt, Matt, Matt...I could never be mad at you for that..hate you a little maybe..but never be mad at you! Give me a little credit damn it!!

Matt
07-09-2007, 02:38 PM
is it lovehate? :unsure:

Wuducynn
07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
If that will help you sleep at night, sure, that's what it is...

Matt
07-09-2007, 02:52 PM
:D

I sleep pretty good as it is. I will just take it as plain hate

Wuducynn
07-09-2007, 02:55 PM
:cool: :lol:

Wuducynn
07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Okay, back on topic, I WANT THIS FUCKING BOOK YESTERDAY DAMN IT!!!! IT'S GOING TO BE SO AWESOME!!!!

Randall Flagg
07-10-2007, 05:08 AM
I would be suprised if it came out before 2009.

Patrick
07-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I would be surprised if it came out before 2009.
Me too, actually. Happy, but surprised.

Nerak
07-11-2007, 12:32 PM
<_<

Patrick
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Are you implying that we'll see the book sooner, Karen? I hope so!

Dolan
07-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I believe that was her face of..."Be nice, we are working on it..."

Am I right Karen?

Patrick
07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
I was hoping it was her face of, "Won't you be surprised when we make a big announcement next week, ye of little faith."

Nerak
07-13-2007, 01:46 PM
I believe that was her face of..."Be nice, we are working on it..."

Am I right Karen?

YES!!!!

And if you saw the notice on tdt.net and King's own site, you will notice that it is out of our hands at this moment in time.

Trust me, I would like this book too. All good things come to those who wait.
So, dammit, keep waiting!!! :arg:

Patrick
07-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Personally, as much as I'd love to have the book, I'm content to wait. My wallet appreciates the rest.

Nerak
07-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Price just went up for you, Patrick!! LOL

Patrick
07-18-2007, 01:26 PM
:pullhair:

:lol:

Nerak
07-18-2007, 01:33 PM

:wub:

MaraJShakespeare
09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
I just hope the length of time this is taking means they're making plenty of them, and not just one for everyone who bought the S/L DT VII.

Airtraffic
10-14-2007, 06:06 PM
I've been gone for......how long....and still nothing!! At least it's like I never left...and that is good.

Carl

wizardsrainbow
10-15-2007, 03:03 AM
Well, Nerak (Karen) can tell us best Air (and all others), but the last I heard from Michael Whelan was that he hoped to get the art work for the book finished in September and King was to sign the limitation pages in September. I have no idea if either of those two things happened. I asked Audrey about the art work a few weeks ago (among other things) and she did not comment on that. Will have to pursue it.

Nerak
10-15-2007, 05:53 AM
mmmm, More information soon, promise

Wuducynn
10-15-2007, 05:58 AM
mmmm, More information soon, promise

:rock: :excited: :excited: :excited: :rock:

Ari_Racing
10-15-2007, 12:47 PM
I can't wait! :)

Asterisco
10-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Me neither!! Hope we have good news soon!

jon10g
10-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Does anyone know how Grant will sell these? I have recently bought the signed limited versions of DT VI and VII and wonder if ownership of these will qualify me for a chance to buy a signed limited revised Gunslinger.
Thanks.

jhanic
10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
This has been a matter of lots of discussion elsewhere. Depending on the number of copies Grant will issue, I'd say your chances of qualifying to order a copy of the s/l are probably pretty good. Of course, that's assuming that Grant will issue a signed limited edition. There have been precious few details released.

John

jon10g
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks.
I have always wondered how you prove to Grant that you are the current owner of a signed limited? I tried emailing them but got no reply.
Jon

Matt
10-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I didn't even realize that was necessary. I love learning stuff about collecting

Randall Flagg
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks.
I have always wondered how you prove to Grant that you are the current owner of a signed limited? I tried emailing them but got no reply.
Jon

Long ago, you mailed a photocopy of the limitation page to them.
Later, you were registered by having bought the previous book. If you were the "new" owner of the book, you would e-mail or snail mail proof by the copy of the limitation page-there was some way, perhaps including the announcement to make sure your pic was taken recently.

Edit:

Grant register link for people who purchased the Deluxe DTVII from someone other than Grant books. (https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-registration.html)

Nerak
10-17-2007, 02:38 PM
The link is out of commission...please email all you information, IE: Name, address, phone # and a picture of the limitation page, or if you haven't opened it, a pic of the sticker on the bottom, showing the side with the book spines on it to karenf@grantbooks.com

Patrick
10-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks, Karen. :)

NeedfulKings
10-17-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm really excited about a new Gunslinger hardcover. I don't think I'll qualify for a limited edition, but if I do, I'll put the money down in a minute! :)

lepra79
10-18-2007, 05:14 AM
Me neither, i canīt wait!!!

:excited:

jon10g
10-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the information. I'll be sending you my details and a pic of VII soon.
Jon

Ari_Racing
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
And I hope to do the same soon, but you already know I own one. ;)

wizardsrainbow
10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
I think you can be reasonably sure that Grant will follow the same policy that they have utilized in the past (i.e. the owner of S/L #296 of The Dark Tower will get first dibs on #296 of Little Sisters/Revised Gunslinger). If the owner of the DTVII number does not respond or says they do not want their number, then that number becomes available to others who enter the fray on a lottery basis. There is no apparent advantage to change the policy and Grant would run the risk of alienating some big and loyal customers if they were to change tactics this late in the game.

One of the questions most debated is how many S/Ls of the new Little Sisters/Revised Gunslinger will Grant do? That decision is up to sai King, and serious rumor has it that he has been "pushed" to increase the number of S/L as the DT story wore on (Remember, only 500 Gunslingers were produced, 750 DoTT, 1200 Wastelands, then eventually up to 1500 Dark Towers). What would really suck for some people is if sai King agreed to only do let's say 1200 of the new book. leaving 300 people out in the cold.

I am safe, cause all my numbers are less than 1,000, most under 500.

And for those of you who REALLY have to have one, but do not qualify because you do not have a S/L Dt VII, I can tell you right now that I will have 4 partial DT sets up for sale as soon as this book is formally announced, and will transfer the rights of ownership for the new S/L to the buyer of the set.

So, I wait patiently.

Matt
10-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I am doing that with bells on

Patrick
10-18-2007, 03:00 PM
... I will have 4 partial DT sets up for sale ...

Now I'm all curious as to what those partial sets' numbers are, and which books are in each partial set. :unsure:

NeedfulKings
10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
... I will have 4 partial DT sets up for sale ...

Now I'm all curious as to what those partial sets' numbers are, and which books are in each partial set. :unsure:

I'm just saving up!!!! :excited:

Nerak
10-19-2007, 05:36 AM
I think you can be reasonably sure that Grant will follow the same policy that they have utilized in the past (i.e. the owner of S/L #296 of The Dark Tower will get first dibs on #296 of Little Sisters/Revised Gunslinger). If the owner of the DTVII number does not respond or says they do not want their number, then that number becomes available to others who enter the fray on a lottery basis. There is no apparent advantage to change the policy and Grant would run the risk of alienating some big and loyal customers if they were to change tactics this late in the game.

One of the questions most debated is how many S/Ls of the new Little Sisters/Revised Gunslinger will Grant do? That decision is up to sai King, and serious rumor has it that he has been "pushed" to increase the number of S/L as the DT story wore on (Remember, only 500 Gunslingers were produced, 750 DoTT, 1200 Wastelands, then eventually up to 1500 Dark Towers). What would really suck for some people is if sai King agreed to only do let's say 1200 of the new book. leaving 300 people out in the cold.

I am safe, cause all my numbers are less than 1,000, most under 500.

And for those of you who REALLY have to have one, but do not qualify because you do not have a S/L Dt VII, I can tell you right now that I will have 4 partial DT sets up for sale as soon as this book is formally announced, and will transfer the rights of ownership for the new S/L to the buyer of the set.

So, I wait patiently.

I still want #32!!!!

Deefuzz
10-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Awww. So no way for a newbie to get started with this I guess. :(

wizardsrainbow
10-19-2007, 08:09 AM

Do not despair! As I said, there is usually a lottery at Grant and you might get lucky.

Sir_Boomme
10-19-2007, 08:20 AM
so wiz... what do you think, if it is limited to 500 copies.... will that be based on who owns the matching numbers of the DT 7 limited- or who owns the matching number of (original) DT1 gunslinger limited?

if it's the DT 7 - i'd be left out in the cold, since my partial set 4-7 is above 1000.

if it is based off the gunslinger limited... does that mean i get dibs on Letter "L" - since that is the limited i own?

hmmm... i''m thinking option # 2....

Rahfa
10-19-2007, 08:30 AM
In the past, it depended on your DT VII number...why switch from what works for this time?

So, yeah, if you have a Gunslinger number 50, you likely wouldn't qualify for that number but rather the number of any DT VII you have...

Sir_Boomme
10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
In the past, it depended on your DT VII number...why switch from what works for this time?

So, yeah, if you have a Gunslinger number 50, you likely wouldn't qualify for that number but rather the number of any DT VII you have...

if that was th case... i couldn't imagine the number not at least matching the same amout of DT7's produced.
but stranger things have been known to happen (:orely: <= sb recollecting the "TGWLTG" fiasco... :onfire: <= sb still fuming about said "TGWLTG" fiasco)

Patrick
10-19-2007, 10:07 AM
My bet is that there will be at least as many S/Ls of Gunslinger Revised as there were of DTVII. Here's why:

I would think that part of the intention of this is that a larger, and perhaps different, group of people could obtain some sort of S/L of The Gunslinger (without taking out a second mortgage on their homes). That would not happen if distribution were based on a mentality of "The rich get richer" (i.e. 500 Revised S/Ls going to owners of the original 500 Gunslinger S/Ls).

Patrick
10-19-2007, 10:13 AM

Do not despair! As I said, there is usually a lottery at Grant and you might get lucky.

Also, you could always try to buy a DTVII on eBay and take your chances.

And after it is issued, I'm sure this new S/L will appear on eBay as well.

We all know that some sellers have horded extra DTVII S/L's on the speculation that it would give them the opportunity to buy more copies of the new S/L when it comes out. All of which could be sold at an aftermarket profit later.

wizardsrainbow
10-19-2007, 12:30 PM

We all know that some sellers have horded extra DTVII S/L's on the speculation that it would give them the opportunity to buy more copies of the new S/L when it comes out. All of which could be sold at an aftermarket profit later.

So, the fact that I have 10 copies of DT VII makes me a "hoarder" not a "collector?":onfire: :D

Patrick
10-19-2007, 12:42 PM

So, the fact that I have 10 copies of DT VII makes me a "hoarder" not a "collector?":onfire: :D
If you sell them to others, you are a hoarder.
If you keep them or sell them to me, you are a collector.

:P

Rahfa
10-19-2007, 12:43 PM
You're definitley in 'hoarder' territory with 10 copies...haha...

I agree that the end number will be much closer to 1,500 than 500 (which I think is zero chance)...But, if you're a hoarder, you better hope it's not MORE than 1,500...I have three extra copies myself, and I'm selling them one way or the other once the announcement happens and any loss I take is just going to be the way it is. I have one set that I'll get a matching number for, but other than that, I'm not keeping any extras.

Patrick
10-19-2007, 12:45 PM
By the way I'm a free market capitalist, so I didn't mean to imply that hoarding is a bad thing. :lol:

wizardsrainbow
11-01-2007, 08:58 AM
****:excited: THERE IS PROGRESS BEING MADE PEOPLE :excited: :excited: ****

I learned last night from Audrey that after she and Michael returned from Japan in early September, Michael was inspired to do another DT painting and some drawings which he has since sent on to Robert at Grant books.

While there is still no timetable for the book's release, I am encouraged by this news. I just know that Michael's illustrations/artwork is going to be OUTSTANDING! Ok, maybe I am a wee bit biased in my thinking.

funky dredd
11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Cool! Well at least there is something....

Storyslinger
11-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Way cool

Patrick
11-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Glad to hear Whelan's inspired to work on the project. Thanks for the update, Wiz!

Ari_Racing
11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Good news! :) Really..it's a good news!

Asterisco
11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Now that's an excellent news! :)

jhanic
11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I still have the feeling we may not see this edition until sometime in 2009!

John

Randall Flagg
11-01-2007, 05:06 PM
I still have the feeling we may not see this edition until sometime in 2009!

John

As long as I'm still alive I can wait. And if I'm not, it won't matter.:cry:

Nerak
11-01-2007, 11:36 PM
****:excited: THERE IS PROGRESS BEING MADE PEOPLE :excited: :excited: ****

I learned last night from Audrey that after she and Michael returned from Japan in early September, Michael was inspired to do another DT painting and some drawings which he has since sent on to Robert at Grant books.

While there is still no timetable for the book's release, I am encouraged by this news. I just know that Michael's illustrations/artwork is going to be OUTSTANDING! Ok, maybe I am a wee bit biased in my thinking.

I was just coming in here to relay this info.

And the new painting is FABO!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

CRinVA
11-02-2007, 05:00 AM
And I am sure the nanosecond that information from Grant can be released Karen will be here first with the news! :dance: Right? :clap:

Ari_Racing
11-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Can't wait for this :)
Now that I'd probably qualify for one S/L! :)

Nerak
11-02-2007, 08:48 AM
And I am sure the nanosecond that information from Grant can be released Karen will be here first with the news! :dance: Right? :clap:

You paying me for info??????? :evil:

alinda
11-03-2007, 12:05 PM
This is good news indeed.*starts saving pennies*

funky dredd
11-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I just got this in the Grant Newsletter...

Welcome to issue #53 of the Donald M. Grant Newsletter

13 November 2007

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. SIGNED DARK TOWER II LIMITED AVAILABILITY
2. SIGNED DOUBLE MEMORY LIMITED AVAILABILITY
3. UPDATE - THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. SIGNED DARK TOWER II LIMITED AVAILABILITY

For the first time in two years, Phil Hale stopped by the office
recently and we were able to have him sign a number of copies
of the First Edition, First Printing of THE DARK TOWER II:
THE DRAWING OF THE THREE which he illustrated in 1987.

These are available on a first-come-first serve basis. We are not
charging anything extra because of the autograph. He signed
copies for us last time he visited and these sold out very quickly.

You can order them at:
http://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-2.html

2. SIGNED DOUBLE MEMORY LIMITED AVAILABILITY

While Phil was visiting we also got him to sign some copies of
DOUBLE MEMORY: ART AND COLLABORATION, the Phil
Hale Rick Berry art book. We have just gotten Rick Berry to sign
them as well and these too are available on a first-come-first
serve basis. We are not charging anything extra because of the
autographs.

These may be ordered at:

http://secure.grantbooks.com/z-titles-doublememory.html

3. UPDATE - THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA

Two years ago, I announced that Donald M. Grant, Publisher,
Inc. will be publishing a book containing THE LITTLE SISTERS
OF ELURIA and the revised edition of THE GUNSLINGER
(which was published by Viking). Stephen King has chosen to
title this combined volume THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA.

The book is illustrated by Michael Whelan and will contain
new art as well as the art originally published in the first edition
of THE GUNSLINGER.

We have now received from Michael all the additional art for
the book and can start working on design and production.

Price, schedule and other details have not been set and when
further information is available it will be posted on our website
and published in our newsletter. We expect that this will be
announced in the beginning of 2008.

We are not taking orders, reservations or putting people on a
waiting list.

Please do not call or email us for further details as we will just
refer you to our web site and suggest you remain subscribed to
our email newsletter.

Thank you.

Robert K. Wiener, President
Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc.

Ari_Racing
11-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm calling Karen right now to reserve my book

:D :D :D

Just kidding.

Nerak
11-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Just kidding.

you dirty rotten SOB!!! :onfire: :onfire:

I best not hear from any of you on here about this!!!!!! LOL!!!!

funky dredd
11-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Just kidding.

you dirty rotten SOB!!! :onfire: :onfire:

I best not hear from any of you on here about this!!!!!! LOL!!!!
How about from one sox fan to another :dance:

Randall Flagg
11-13-2007, 05:04 PM
One step closer.:thumbsup:

Nerak
11-13-2007, 06:07 PM
NO MORE INFORMATION!!!
NO MORE INFORMATION!!!
NO MORE INFORMATION!!!

til later :P

Brice
11-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Karen, can we make it so Red Sox fans have priority in buying this (even over those who have the other limiteds)???

Nerak
11-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I'll get right on that one!! :lol:

Ari_Racing
11-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Alright, from now on I'm a Red Sox fan :D
I already have the hat!

Brice
11-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Ok, but I was born a Red Sox fan. :dance:

Randall Flagg
11-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I hate the Red Sox, and the Patriots.
But I'm sure Karen will be fair.

Nerak
11-14-2007, 06:49 PM
I hate the Red Sox, and the Patriots.
But I'm sure Karen will be fair.

For you, only cause you are cute....

I won't tell you anything either!! :P

funky dredd
11-15-2007, 05:57 AM
:nana: :lol:

bast_imret
12-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Ok Karen, this time we'll go with Operation Rainbow Block, and hijack the copies before they even reach Wiz's office, rendering his hi tech security measures useless.

herbertwest
12-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Noone have seen the pictures of the new illustrations on the website?

https://secure.grantbooks.com/Whelan_new_pics.jpg

dont ask me how it did came to the german website, but there are also available on THIS PAGE (and in a proper way!)
DT 1 illustrations - and upcoming artwork! (http://www.stephen-king.de/illustrationen/dt1.html)

(ok, instead of a link i do also post the pictures... should add them to the GUNSLINGER thread right Ari?)
http://www.stephen-king.de/darktower/illustrationen/dt1_SE/SE_gunslinger_05_1.jpg http://www.stephen-king.de/darktower/illustrationen/dt1_SE/SE_gunslinger_05_2.jpg
http://www.stephen-king.de/darktower/illustrationen/dt1_SE/SE_gunslinger_05_3.jpg http://www.stephen-king.de/darktower/illustrationen/dt1_SE/SE_gunslinger_05_4.jpg

Randall Flagg
12-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I think Michael Whelan made changes to the paintings, so I would wait on posting them in the thread until we are sure about what if any changes were made.

bast_imret
12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
I believe the ones that are current as far as finished product are up in his new website's gallery, which are 3 at my last count.

The Man in Black
The Gunslinger Followed
Mohaine

Patrick
12-03-2007, 02:50 PM
More fabulous artwork from Mr. Whelan. :nana:

oy-the-brave
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Noone have seen the pictures of the new illustrations on the website?

https://secure.grantbooks.com/Whelan_new_pics.jpg

dont ask me how it did came to the german website, but there are also available on THIS PAGE (and in a proper way!)
DT 1 illustrations - and upcoming artwork! (http://www.stephen-king.de/illustrationen/dt1.html)

(ok, instead of a link i do also post the pictures... should add them to the GUNSLINGER thread right Ari?)
http://www.stephen-king.de/darktower/illustrationen/dt1_SE/SE_gunslinger_05_1.jpg http://www.stephen-king.de/darktower/illustrationen/dt1_SE/SE_gunslinger_05_2.jpg
http://www.stephen-king.de/darktower/illustrationen/dt1_SE/SE_gunslinger_05_3.jpg http://www.stephen-king.de/darktower/illustrationen/dt1_SE/SE_gunslinger_05_4.jpg

These pictures are from Palavercon I am pretty sure. It was incredible to see the originals up close.

Matt
12-03-2007, 03:37 PM
I believe Nerak is auctioning off a set right as we speak in DTbay.

Patrick
12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Yes, Karen is auctioning sets of small prints of various pieces of art that have appeared in the Dark Tower books.

The photos above are of artwork that has yet to officially appear in any book. We will see them in their final state in the Grant edition of the revised Gunslinger.

Matt
12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
ah...thanks for the clarification Patrick. :couple:

Aaron
12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Yup, those are most definitely from PalaverCon. I helped set up the easels. :P

Karen, I heard that Michael was making some changes to the paintings, but can you confirm whether or not he did any additional ones? I know there are sketches; I just want to know if we're going to get anymore color illustrations.

*pokes*

please?

Nerak
12-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Yup, those are most definitely from PalaverCon. I helped set up the easels. :P

Karen, I heard that Michael was making some changes to the paintings, but can you confirm whether or not he did any additional ones? I know there are sketches; I just want to know if we're going to get anymore color illustrations.

*pokes*

please?

Poke and please?!?! :lol:

As far as I have seen, there were no changes to the originals from Palavercon.

He did do one other color painting (fabo!!) and new B&Ws but I do not believe there were changes to the paintings.

this is getting exciting!!! :excited:

Patrick
12-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Yes, it is!

wizardsrainbow
12-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Michael told me he was going to redo some of the desert paintings a long time ago. Whether he altered them, I do not know, but according to Karen, maybe not.

Nerak
12-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Michael told me he was going to redo some of the desert paintings a long time ago. Whether he altered them, I do not know, but according to Karen, maybe not.

Like I said, I have not seen the transparencies, so I have no idea if it was altered or not. Believe it or not, Robert doesn't tell me everything! :lol:

wizardsrainbow
12-29-2007, 03:18 AM
Karen-
Anything new on the horizon? I've been out of touch with the Whelan's for awhile.

Nerak
12-30-2007, 05:21 AM
NO!!!! Dammit...and not just because everyone keps asking but because there is no excuse (at least a good one) as to why the book is not out yet!! It's frustrating.

Randall Flagg
01-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Karen, give us a sneak peak.
Please.

Nerak
01-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Nothing to sneak peak at, sorry. I got nothin!

I sit here and tap my fingers wondering when....

wizardsrainbow
01-22-2008, 06:17 AM
I got little bits and pieces of updates from my evening with Michael & Audrey this weekend.

According to Audrey, Robert is showing some "signs of life" regarding the project, but...

When I asked her if Stephen or Michael had signed the limitation sheets yet, she said no :cry:

So...I think it's still going to be awhile. And, I am not sure if Michael has given the pencil sketches I saw (the drawing of the Little Sisters is outstanding) to Robert yet. I know Robert has seen the major artwork but maybe not the pencil sketches?

Nerak
01-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Psssstt....got those.... shhhhhhhhhh

e_taylor
03-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Does anyone know if theres a way to register DTVII with Grant without sending a photo of the signature page? I'm in the market for a copy, and was hoping to find a sealed set - however I then noticed on the Grant website that a picture of the signature page is required... If thats the case I may as well save a few dollars and get an opened copy...

Randall Flagg
03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
My belief is that unless Grant books sold you a S/l-thus having a record of your number, there is no other way to confirm than to send a photo of the limitation page.
FYI, just my opinion, but the whole "shrinkwrapped" thing is a bit overblown, and even sometimes a fraud. I have seen books offered for sale shrinkwrapped, that never were (to my knowledge) sold that way. It isn't that tough to shrinkwrap a book. In fact my local Staples store offered to do 1 or two for me free.
Even adding a replacement sticker with the correct number isn't tough.

NeedfulKings
03-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I've also seen a shrinkwrapped book that had been dropped, thus a corner heavily dented. But it was still described as "new in shrinkwrap."

e_taylor
03-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Both very valid points, it has just seemed to me that (maybe this is just an eBay phenomena) that books hold and raise their value better when they remain shrink wrapped. Although, now that the ease of shrink wrapping is brought to my attention, it may just be eBay saps that are falsely raising these book values.

In any case, thanks for the info guys!

Rahfa
03-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Shrinkwrapping is of no consequuence to a collector...only a speculator.

The only s/l's that have been shrinkwrapped lately are DT V-VII...the old limiteds never show up for sale in shrinkwrap (never say never, I'm sure they have, but not that I can remember).

I don't think it 'raises' values in any sense...it's just something the seller claims makes a difference.

In fact, I like the Easton Press signed editions, and when I get them straight from the publisher I always take them out of their shrinkwrap because I've gotten them before with NO signature! So there's something to be said for having it out of the wrap and being sure there are no surprises!

And, you never know, maybe he signed it in weird ink, or put some doodle...you never know.

tippy4
03-22-2008, 07:54 AM
I am going to have to disagree with you. If I have my choice of getting a book in shrink or not in shrink, I am going with the shrink.

While I agree that shrinkwrapping does not protect a book from getting bumped corners, bare minimum, it will protect the book from dust or fingerprints or odors.

Case in point. The Centipede 'Salem's Lot. That book is a dirt magnet. In ten years, those books that have not been kept in clamshell cases are going to be grey instead of black!

Plus, assuming the shrink is original, I know the book has not been opened or read, and therefore the spine is in perfect condtion.

Rahfa
03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes, if there was a choice I would take the shrinkwrapped copy...but, I'm not sure it significantly adds to the value of it. Maybe a little, if two copies showed up at the same time.

Yes, Salem's Lot is a dirt-magnet, that's for sure...but how often does a shrinkwrapped Salem's show up?

I guess it comes down to me just not caring...but I could certainly see some people holding out for a shrinkwrapped copy, so for them the value would be increased.

jhanic
03-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I keep my "gift" Salem's Lot in a Mylar cover and then in one of The Coillector's slipcases. It doesn't attract dirt at all then. I keep my s/l Salem's Lot in it's original shipping carton. No dirt there either.

John

namelessnpoor
03-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I had a custom clamshell case made for my Salem's Lot S/L it holds the book in its slipcase, that way it keeps everything clean !! and i have the case from the collector for the gift edition. I had 2 of those clamshells made because i had 2 S/L salem's lots, i sold the extra book and the case a while back, i think i saw the case for sale a while backon ebay, anybody here the owner of the 2nd case ? Its a large clamshell, has the title on the spine of the case, made out of the same black material as the original book. The 2 cases where made by the same company who made them Centipede.

swintek
03-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Can I ask how much it cost you to get those made?

Ron

namelessnpoor
03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
If i remember correctly, and it has been a few years since i had them made, i only ordered 2 so hat made the price a little higher then if i was ordering in bulk, but i think i paid about $160 for 2, so $80 a piece or so. A little pricey, but i thought it was worth it, they are extremely well made and very nice cases and they will do them anyway you want, color, embossing etc...

swintek
03-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks so much. That's pretty reasonable, I think, considering the size and nice material. I was thinking about doing the same thing recently.. appreciate the info!

Ron

Justin Case
03-24-2008, 06:41 AM
What a great idea.... got to look into this myself - thanx for the heads up! :)

Nerak
03-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know if theres a way to register DTVII with Grant without sending a photo of the signature page? I'm in the market for a copy, and was hoping to find a sealed set - however I then noticed on the Grant website that a picture of the signature page is required... If thats the case I may as well save a few dollars and get an opened copy...

you can send a picture of the bottom of the sealed case with the sticker showing to karenf@grantbooks.com, include all of your information, including who you bought the set from and I will register it for you.

Thank you

Please call again

jemaher
03-24-2008, 11:18 AM
hi karen,
thanks for the update. how long do we have to get the numbers to you?

Sir_Boomme
03-24-2008, 11:34 AM
6.83 years....

jhanic
03-24-2008, 11:37 AM
:rofl:

John

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 07:52 PM

you can send a picture of the bottom of the sealed case with the sticker showing to karenf@grantbooks.com, include all of your information, including who you bought the set from and I will register it for you.

Thank you

Please call again

Excellent info.
Glad (hope) someone did not tear the shrinkwrap prior to hearing this-although for a reasonable charge-with provenence, Karen might be willing to re-shrinkwrap and sticker a legitimate copy.

Nerak
03-24-2008, 11:26 PM
6.83 years....

bad man!!!!

Jay, as long as you want...I am not going anywhere, but I would do it sooner rather than later, err on the side of caution...:D

Nerak
03-24-2008, 11:28 PM
[quote=Nerak;133776]
Excellent info.
Glad (hope) someone did not tear the shrinkwrap prior to hearing this-although for a reasonable charge-with provenence, Karen might be willing to re-shrinkwrap and sticker a legitimate copy.

yeah maybe...

Sir_Boomme
03-25-2008, 06:03 AM
6.83 years....

bad man!!!!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/evilSB.jpg

Nerak
03-25-2008, 09:01 AM
looks just like you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

jemaher
03-27-2008, 03:17 PM
6.83 years....

bad man!!!!

Jay, as long as you want...I am not going anywhere, but I would do it sooner rather than later, err on the side of caution...:D

ok, will do. if i previously registered a number do i need to re register (i.e. send another copy of the lim page?)

Nerak
03-27-2008, 04:30 PM
6.83 years....

bad man!!!!

ok, will do. if i previously registered a number do i need to re register (i.e. send another copy of the lim page?)

nope, you should be in my puter..but if want to make sure, shoot me an email at work with your first and last name and i will check for you :D

Patrick
03-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey Karen, I am in your 'puter? Want I should email you something?

jemaher
03-27-2008, 05:33 PM
what is the email address?

wizardsrainbow
03-28-2008, 02:43 AM
So Karen-
What is Robert up to these days? Is there ANY movement at all--even remotely--on this damned Gunslinger/Little Sisters book?

Nerak
03-28-2008, 03:17 AM
Hey Karen, I am in your 'puter? Want I should email you something?

why? you registering something????

Nerak
03-28-2008, 03:17 AM
what is the email address?

sorry, karenf@grantbooks.com

Nerak
03-28-2008, 03:18 AM
So Karen-
What is Robert up to these days? Is there ANY movement at all--even remotely--on this damned Gunslinger/Little Sisters book?

It's moving along nicely!! :thumbsup:

Ari_Racing
03-28-2008, 05:41 AM
Tentative dates?

Maybe you can have mine ready by the moment I stop by to say hi :D :D

Nerak
03-28-2008, 12:08 PM
not talking...:D

shnnrc01
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
karen,is there another way to upload a copy of my DTVII limitation page to you other than thru the grant webpage.each time i try to send it,it fails.maybe its me huh?!!!

Ari_Racing
03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Karen, did you register to my name the one you sent me? :)

Randall Flagg
03-28-2008, 12:54 PM
karen,is there another way to upload a copy of my DTVII limitation page to you other than thru the grant webpage.each time i try to send it,it fails.maybe its me huh?!!!
Would suggest you e-mail the image to:
karenf@grantbooks.com

shnnrc01
03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
ok,will try that.thx randall.

shnnrc01
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
karen,just emailed you my DTVII limitation page.hope you get it!!

Nerak
03-29-2008, 03:52 PM
karen,just emailed you my DTVII limitation page.hope you get it!!

won't know til Monday! But I will let you know.

wizardsrainbow
04-10-2008, 02:44 AM
I had dinner with Michael Whelan last night and he has the signature pages to the new book on his dining room table. So there is progress!

I had to laugh as he told me that the end papers are attached to the signing sheets and his first thought was that he wanted to go back and update the artwork! <For those of you who do not know, he has already done that once, adding to the delay in getting the book through the publishing process>

I told him DONT YOU DARE!

turtlex
04-10-2008, 02:52 AM
I told him DONT YOU DARE!

Thanks for watching out for us !!!!

Nerak
04-10-2008, 05:49 AM
I don't think Robert would let him, since King already signed them. I don't think King would sign them again! LOL :lol:

NeedfulKings
04-10-2008, 08:16 AM
So, do we know what the S/L print run will be?

What about the unsigned run?

I want to get in on one or the other!!!! :D

wizardsrainbow
04-10-2008, 08:27 AM
That news will have to come from the publisher when they are ready to announce it...and they are not that close yet.

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I had dinner with Michael Whelan last night and he has the signature pages to the new book on his dining room table. So there is progress!

Awesome. Finally some news on this! Thanks as always to you Wizards for coming through in the clutch with important Dark Tower updates. :harrier:

wizardsrainbow
04-10-2008, 09:12 AM

Awesome. Finally some news on this! Thanks as always to you Wizards for coming through in the clutch with important Dark Tower updates. :harrier:

Happy always to do so. ;) :thumbsup:

Cutter
04-10-2008, 09:16 AM
That news will have to come from the publisher when they are ready to announce it...and they are not that close yet.

Thanks for the info Wiz. Usually when a publisher gets back the sig sheets is when it goes to the printer. :clap:

Bev Vincent
04-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Printing and signing can take place independently since the sig pages are often tipped in after the book is bound.

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
As Bev seeks to kill the hope by bringing reality into it...

Aaron
04-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Awesome. This has had me anxious to buy for a while. It's been three years. :(

Cloysterpete
04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Are there any plans for a trade edition of this?, as I don't currently own any edition of the revised Gunslinger, I even lost my paperback before i'd read it lol.

Nerak
04-10-2008, 11:16 AM
No trade editions

Ricky
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I have a question. What is all this about only being able to get one if you have a number of DTVII? I've never bought a S/L so I am really confused. :/

wizardsrainbow
04-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I have a question. What is all this about only being able to get one if you have a number of DTVII? I've never bought a S/L so I am really confused. :/

Ricky-

I will try to put this clearly and concisely:

In the past, the owner of a S/L Dark Tower book needed to register their number with Grant Books to "reserve" that same number when the next book came out. Not too many people knew of this policy when The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three came out. So if, let's say you owned a S/L Wastelands # 100, if you registerd #100 with Grant, you got first shot at DT IV Wizard & Glass when it came out. You registered #100 W&G and that gave you first shot at DT V Wolves and so on. The theory is (and well founded) that registered owners of the S/L DT VII will get first crack at owning that same number of this new book.

Any numbers that are unclaimed by people will then go into a lottery, and people on the waiting list will be chosen to fill those numbers that are unclaimed.

Is that clear?

CRinVA
04-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I can't believe it is only going to be released as a s/n edition. I own all the Grant editions but not the s/n editions.!!!!

jhanic
04-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe there will be an Artist's Edition? Karen?

John

wizardsrainbow
04-10-2008, 12:18 PM
insider knowledge suggests yes.

Matt
04-10-2008, 12:19 PM
:ninja:

I'm going to be getting this if I can

Ricky
04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Thank you very much, it's very clear now! I just hope I can snag a copy when it's released.

(off topic- does anyone know who it was who said they got their copy of THE PLANT binded?)

NeedfulKings
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
No trade editions

:orely:

I'm with others....why would there be no trade edition??? You've already got the plates, right?

Even a small 10,000 print run would satisfy most of us.

tippy4
04-10-2008, 02:17 PM
For arguments sake, let's assume that there will be 500-1500 S/Ls and 3500-5000 artist edtions.

I think this will satisfy most of the needs of the collectors.

As a Viking trade edtion already exists, I just don't see there being a large demand for this book outside of the collector circles.

As far as I know, there is still a stack of unsold DT7 Artist Editions left at Grant Books (Karen...correct me if I am wrong). They are only $50 each. Why would they want a stack of $20 trade editions laying around ?

My guess, there will be 1000 SLs and 3500 AEs

Rahfa
04-10-2008, 03:02 PM
No trade editions

I'm with others....why would there be no trade edition??? You've already got the plates, right?

The book is already available...the revised edition and Little Sisters are already published...all this will do it put it into a combined form, so Grant will have published all DT related writing.

Doing the artisit edition makes sense, but there's absolutely no reason for publishing an unsigned trade.

Not to mention that would put them in conflict with Viking, which I'm sure conflicts with whatever contractual agreements they have in place.

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm a town over from where D.M. Grant Publications is...I think I'll sneak into their facility and pick up a few...

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Ricky-

I will try to put this clearly and concisely:

In the past, the owner of a S/L Dark Tower book needed to register their number with Grant Books to "reserve" that same number when the next book came out. Not too many people knew of this policy when The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three came out. So if, let's say you owned a S/L Wastelands # 100, if you registerd #100 with Grant, you got first shot at DT IV Wizard & Glass when it came out. You registered #100 W&G and that gave you first shot at DT V Wolves and so on. The theory is (and well founded) that registered owners of the S/L DT VII will get first crack at owning that same number of this new book.

Any numbers that are unclaimed by people will then go into a lottery, and people on the waiting list will be chosen to fill those numbers that are unclaimed.

Is that clear?

I got it. You're saying you're going to send all your signed and numbered artist edition copies to me?

Ricky
04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Do you mind picking me up a couple dozen?

Nerak
04-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm a town over from where D.M. Grant Publications is...I think I'll sneak into their facility and pick up a few...

:shoot: :evil: :nope: not on my watch lol

Nerak
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
No trade editions

The book is already available...the revised edition and Little Sisters are already published...all this will do it put it into a combined form, so Grant will have published all DT related writing.

Doing the artisit edition makes sense, but there's absolutely no reason for publishing an unsigned trade.

Not to mention that would put them in conflict with Viking, which I'm sure conflicts with whatever contractual agreements they have in place.

Thanks Nathan and everyone else. Those are the reason for no trades.

Ricky
04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
For all you people know, I already snuck into the facility and stol-

Uh, I mean took without asking a couple (dozen) copies.

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 04:34 PM
:shoot: :evil: :nope: not on my watch lol

Awwwwwwww I was about to hop on 101 too.... :P

Ari_Racing
04-10-2008, 06:51 PM

Mine is 1500 S/L and 3500 AEs.

oy-the-brave
04-10-2008, 07:53 PM
For arguments sake, let's assume that there will be 500-1500 S/Ls and 3500-5000 artist edtions.

I think this will satisfy most of the needs of the collectors.

As a Viking trade edtion already exists, I just don't see there being a large demand for this book outside of the collector circles.

As far as I know, there is still a stack of unsold DT7 Artist Editions left at Grant Books (Karen...correct me if I am wrong). They are only $50 each. Why would they want a stack of $20 trade editions laying around ?

I Hope you are wrong about 1000 SL's since my number is 1017:cry:

NeedfulKings
04-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I do see that there's no need for a trade edition. Thanks!!!

I'll likely put myself in the pool for any uncollected S/L's and also get the AE.

I just need SOMETHING!!!! :D

jhanic
04-11-2008, 03:54 AM
I wouldn't be too surprised to see 1500 s/l and 5000 AEs, with some going to bookstores, such as what happened with DTIV. I think there might be a larger demand than expected.

John

Scoogs
04-11-2008, 05:07 AM
I strongly doubt Grant would do less S/L of this than they did for DTVII. They have a relatively small customer base and don't want to alienate half of them. That would just be a bad business move, no way around it.

They are, however, still sitting on AEs of DTVII. That could easily justify cutting production on those. Although in that case a legit point can be made that there will easily be more demand for any edition of The Gunslinger than there would be for DTVII.

Nerak
04-11-2008, 05:17 AM
I am going to be Sgt. Shultz and say "I know nothing, NOTHING!!"

tippy4
04-11-2008, 06:18 AM
I strongly doubt Grant would do less S/L of this than they did for DTVII. They have a relatively small customer base and don't want to alienate half of them. That would just be a bad business move, no way around it.

It might not be up to them.

Perhaps Stephen King or Michael Whelan might not want to sign 1500 copies?

And besides, in the event that the print run is less than 1500, I doubt that it would alienate their customers. When DT7 was sold, there were no plans to make additional DT books, so it's not like anyone really believed they were buying "future rights" to anything (at least I did not). If I am able to get a S/L Revised Gunslinger as a result of owning a S/L DT7. I will view it as a "bonus" more than something I am "owed".

They are, however, still sitting on AEs of DTVII. That could easily justify cutting production on those. Although in that case a legit point can be made that there will easily be more demand for any edition of The Gunslinger than there would be for DTVII.

I disagree with that. I feel the demand for DT7 at the time it was originally relased would far exceed the demand for a reprint of The Revised Gunslinger three years after its original release.

I mean hey, this was the FINAL volume of The Dark Tower! People were paying $500+ just to get their hands on an ARC! I don't see Stephen King EVER having another novel as highly anticipated as the DT7.

wizardsrainbow
04-11-2008, 06:45 AM
The number of books done is not up to Grant or Whelan. Steve sets the number. Others can appeal to him for changes (up or down) but Steve has final word, period, end of story.

tippy4
04-11-2008, 07:08 AM
And we all know about Steve's opinion of S/Ls.

Frankly, I am surprised he has agreed to do any more given his recent comments.

Maybe he needs the money? :lol:

Hannah
04-11-2008, 07:38 AM
*Aaron posting*

Since Robert isn't my biggest fan anyway and I do not work for Grant, I can say that as of July 2005 Robert was saying that Steve did not want to sign 1500 and he was trying to talk him into it. If I'm not mistaken he said Steve wanted to go with the number of the original S/L print run. But...that was almost three years ago and I haven't exactly been in the loop for a very very long time. It is possible that he finally conceded to go with the 1500.

Nerak
04-11-2008, 07:38 AM
The number of books done is not up to Grant or Whelan. Steve sets the number. Others can appeal to him for changes (up or down) but Steve has final word, period, end of story.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!! :huglove: Thanks Dave!

namelessnpoor
04-11-2008, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't be too surprised to see 1500 s/l and 5000 AEs, with some going to bookstores, such as what happened with DTIV. I think there might be a larger demand than expected.

John

I would have to make my guess the same as Johns, though of course it is just a guess and we could all be wrong !! but numbers close to those of the DT VII release make the most sense to me, but i can also see King saying i amonly going to sign 500 of them just like the original numbers of the S/L Gunslinger

Rahfa
04-11-2008, 08:12 AM

John

I would have to make my guess the same as Johns, though of course it is just a guess and we could all be wrong !! but numbers close to those of the DT VII release make the most sense to me, but i can also see King saying i amonly going to sign 500 of them just like the original numbers of the S/L Gunslinger

The rumor - emphasis on rumor - that was floating around three years ago was, at first, just that - he would sign 500. But then it was decided that was unfair to DT II and III owners especially, but also DT IV owners with 1250 copies floating around.

So supposedly the concession was going to be 1,250 copies to match up with DT I-IV, but with the extra copies of V-VII out of luck...the rationale being they hadn't invested time in owning the whole series.

But that was three years ago, and it was just a rumor/gossip back then...with King seemingly happy to do s/l's lately, I'd be a little surprised if it ended up being less than 1,500.

Wiz can tell us anyway...was the stack of signature sheets tall or short? Haha...

wizardsrainbow
04-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Wiz can tell us anyway...was the stack of signature sheets tall or short? Haha...

My evening with the Whelans was not in their home but out on the town this time. Michael just told me he had them on the dining room table.

Nerak
04-11-2008, 10:21 AM
could you really tell how many sheets were in a pile?!?!? lol

tippy4
04-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I know who could....

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/128/rainmanwh2.png (http://imageshack.us)

Definitely....Defintely 1200 copies....Definitely

Uh oh, fifteen minutes to Judge Wapner!

Wuducynn
04-11-2008, 01:01 PM
I know who could....

Awesome... :lol:

NeedfulKings
04-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I know who could....

:lol: That WAS good!!! :D

I guess we'll have to wait. If he does just want to do 500 copies, I'd hope they could at least talk him up to the number of the S/L Drawing of the Three (850, right?). That would give a few hundred more people a chance to have a true matching numbered set.

Patrick
04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the update, Wiz. The best part is that you had dinner with the Whelans!

The speculation about numbers is totally meaningless but fun, so...

I'm going with the 1500 S/L estimate as that would cut out an immense amount of the drama and bitching that King would get indirectly and that Grant would get directly about not being able to match numbers. SK went that high for DT VII and I think he'll go that high again for this edition, especially to help his publishing friend avoid a lot of crap from the fans.

Nerak
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM

Gotta go to KMart

KMart sucks!

EXPLORER
04-12-2008, 11:57 AM
And we all know about Steve's opinion of S/Ls.

Frankly, I am surprised he has agreed to do any more given his recent comments.

Maybe he needs the money? :lol:

OKAY...... I HAVE TO ADMIT TO IGNORANCE ON THIS TOPIC
What is Uncle Stevie's opinion of S/Ls? and How do we all know this?

he asked fealing out of the loop

Wuducynn
04-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Uncle Stevie's opinion on S/L's is that he doesn't think much of them...which is weird since he's been big into Donald M. Grant Publications for years and years now. He's been pretty derisive of the whole book collecting thing for awhile too...its just kind of at odds with each other.

Ricky
04-12-2008, 12:17 PM
He feels that S/L books are for rich people and doesn't see the point of buying an expensive book and sticking on the shelf.

Someone needs to teach Mr. King the joy of collecting. :dance:

BigCoffinHunter
04-12-2008, 01:03 PM
King once said, and I'm paraphrasing here,

"Here's a little tip that the collectors out there don't seem to understand: It's the same story even if it's written on shopping bags..."

It's not even the limiteds so much as the having to sign. I believe Boome has a copy of a letter where King complains about having to sign books until his hand cramped up back in the 80's at a convention. He doesn't like it that people get a book flatsigned and then try to make money off of it, which is why he's just not a big fan of signing books. The reason I believe he still supports limiteds is to continue supporting the publishers.

Sir_Boomme
04-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I believe Boome has a copy of a letter where King complains about having to sign books until his hand cramped up back in the 80's at a convention. .

i believe this is the letter in question.

btw... for those that have inquired, i do eventually plan on taking and posting more pics of the doubleday collection that i have... pretty tied up in househunting/moving to new digs for the next couple of months though.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4482/petcorrospondance830613vk0.jpg

Patrick
04-12-2008, 02:52 PM
I love reading that stuff. Thanks for posting it, Terry.

herbertwest
05-24-2008, 09:44 AM
is there any news for it?

the reason i am asking it, is because i ve just got a very interesting news about an upcoming french edition that sounds... hmmm i dont know what to think yet...

here is the informations recieved from a french bookseller:

IN FRANCE: "the 15th of october 2008 will be published the complete Dark Tower saga, in 2 volumes, in a "De Luxe " edition.
This will be an unpublished edition, and will never be published again (1300 pages per book, format 23/19 cm).
those books will be bound and will have the same covers as the previous one."

(may i remember that the french covers are really really nice for the revised editions)?

I contacted the publisher in the aim of getting further details but this is interesting.
- it cannot be the revised gunslinger with sisters of eluria... coz is not only the saga, and seems to do not progress... (well, Whelan gave the illustrations apparently)
- i dont think that it would be the revised Dark TOwer saga as King mentionned, cause i didnt hear about the publication of the english version...

your opinion?

:drool: :drool:

Nerak
05-24-2008, 10:00 AM
interesting, very interesting

Ari_Racing
05-24-2008, 11:22 AM
VERY INTERESTING!

herbertwest
05-25-2008, 01:57 AM
ok here are more news from the bookseller...

"The binding will be like the previous editions... the cover will look like the previous one as well....
basically it looks like that they decided to put the 7 volumes in 2 huge books...

about the "limited edition" the publisher is currently going in the bookstores and take note of how many copies they want, to print ONLY that total... and there will be no further printing.

When they say "unpublished" they means limited print..."

so basically, it doesnt seems that there will be anything new.... just a "limited edition" (which is quite scarce in France about Stephen KING yet), but doesnt looke like it will be signed or whatever.... so far, it looks like "crap" to me...

of course, there is still the "luxe" edition which requires further informations... but i am working on it

Brice
05-25-2008, 06:18 AM
is there any news for it?

the reason i am asking it, is because i ve just got a very interesting news about an upcoming french edition that sounds... hmmm i dont know what to think yet...

here is the informations recieved from a french bookseller:

IN FRANCE: "the 15th of october 2008 will be published the complete Dark Tower saga, in 2 volumes, in a "De Luxe " edition.
This will be an unpublished edition, and will never be published again (1300 pages per book, format 23/19 cm).
those books will be bound and will have the same covers as the previous one."

(may i remember that the french covers are really really nice for the revised editions)?

I contacted the publisher in the aim of getting further details but this is interesting.
- it cannot be the revised gunslinger with sisters of eluria... coz is not only the saga, and seems to do not progress... (well, Whelan gave the illustrations apparently)
- i dont think that it would be the revised Dark TOwer saga as King mentionned, cause i didnt hear about the publication of the english version...

your opinion?

:drool: :drool:

Is there any more info about the books? A price maybe? Or a link to their website?

herbertwest
05-25-2008, 09:32 AM
see the post just above for further details...

i currently am less enthusiastic now about it, but still am and look for informations, so dont worry... if there is anything important i will let you know.

so far, it doesnt look interesting for "foreign" collectors...

Cutter
05-25-2008, 01:42 PM
my guess would be the book would be using rice paper (super thin paper) to keep it at a acceptable size. That in itself would be unique.

wizardsrainbow
05-28-2008, 05:50 AM
I just deleted a spam (World of warcraft) message from baadman25

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-28-2008, 06:22 AM
I just deleted a spam (World of warcraft) message from baadman25

Ban him!

Randall Flagg
05-28-2008, 06:45 AM
I banned him.

wizardsrainbow
06-04-2008, 04:08 AM
I do not have any real new news here on the production process of the revised Gunslinger. I asked Audrey the other day if Michael still had the signature sheets, but she deflected the question. My understanding is that I was getting too much information so they (Michael and Audrey) have been asked to keep things closer to the chest so to speak. What I know of the process is that after Michael signs the sheets they will go to the binder.

This is an educated guess on my part....we may have a formal announcement for the book by August and a release date by November. Again that's just a guess and this thing has been delayed so may times it's not funny anymore.

Nerak
06-04-2008, 12:01 PM
sorry :(

Spencer
06-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Is there any info at all about how many copies the Signed/Limited edition will include? Inquiring minds stuck with DTVII #1411 want to know. :lol:

carlosdetweiller
06-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Is there any info at all about how many copies the Signed/Limited edition will include? Inquiring minds stuck with DTVII #1411 want to know. :lol:

I've heard there will be 1410 copies.

Nerak
06-04-2008, 04:38 PM
oh, that's harsh! :lol:

Spencer
06-04-2008, 05:41 PM
oh, that's harsh! :lol:

I guess I'm asking how many sig pages did you guys give Michael? :excited: Huh? :lol:

Nerak
06-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Michael had a bunch...he had to sign the artist editions too...:P

wizardsrainbow
06-05-2008, 06:54 AM

Nice evasive answer Karen dear!

jhanic
06-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I HAVE noticed that our Karen is becoming a master (mistress?) at the evasive answer!

John

tippy4
06-05-2008, 07:59 AM
My understanding is that I was getting too much information so they (Michael and Audrey) have been asked to keep things closer to the chest so to speak.

Uh oh.....you know too much!

You may have to go into protective custody!

:P

wizardsrainbow
06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Ok accepted. House arrest to be served at the Whelan's! Done deal:excited:

Nerak
06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
lol, I wanna come to and swim in the pool!!!!!!

Spencer
06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I HAVE noticed that our Karen is becoming a master (mistress?) at the evasive answer!

John

:lol: After all these years, I'm still not sure what unit of measure a "bunch" is. :lol:

NeedfulKings
06-12-2008, 01:14 PM

:rock:

I didn't know this was confirmed (I must have missed it). So, if I can't get in on an S/L, there will be Aritist Editions? That's primarily what I own at the moment, so I'd be pleased as punch. :)

Nerak
06-12-2008, 06:00 PM
It has been stated, somewhere (too tired to look) that there won't be a trade edition, just a s/l and artist

Ari_Racing
06-12-2008, 06:05 PM
It has been stated, somewhere, that Karen will send me a copy of the S/L for free if I purchase an Artist edition :D

NeedfulKings
06-12-2008, 06:10 PM
:lol: I want in on THAT Deal!!!! :D

Thanks for the updates Karen! You rock!!! :)

Nerak
06-13-2008, 03:03 AM
It has been stated, somewhere, that Karen will send me a copy of the S/L for free if I purchase an Artist edition :D

It has been stated that Ari is NUTS!!!! :lol:

wizardsrainbow
06-13-2008, 03:23 AM

It has been stated that Ari is NUTS!!!! :lol:

Ari's a squirrel?

Nerak
06-13-2008, 06:08 AM
nope, just NUTS!!!! LOL

wizardsrainbow
06-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Just got an e-mail from Michael. He is nearly finished with the signature pages.

Nerak
06-13-2008, 11:49 AM
cool!!!!

jhanic
06-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Does anyone have any idea on how long it should take to actually publish the book after the signatures are done? I know this depends on a LOT of variables, such as the printer's backlog, etc., but is there any kind of ballpark number?

John

wizardsrainbow
06-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Does anyone have any idea on how long it should take to actually publish the book after the signatures are done? I know this depends on a LOT of variables, such as the printer's backlog, etc., but is there any kind of ballpark number?

John

I do not know for sure John, but if I had to make an educated guess, I would think this book will be in your hands late in 2008. <Wiz crosses fingers>

jhanic
06-13-2008, 12:08 PM
That's kind of what I was hoping, but I'll believe it when I see it. I guess I'm a pessimist at heart!

John

Bev Vincent
06-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Signature pages don't affect the production if they're tipped in after the book is complete. The book could be printed while the sig sheets are being signed, in theory.

agrabin
06-13-2008, 01:45 PM
:) I've got squirrels in my back garden

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-14-2008, 12:10 AM

Beats piles I suppose. :orely:

agrabin
06-14-2008, 01:42 AM

Beats piles I suppose. :orely:

Piles of squirrels you mean?:)

Sam
06-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Question for you guys. What's the difference between tipped in and whatever the other optins are? And could you give an example of each style. I have two King limited right now, Insomnia and From A Buick 8, but I once owned Desperation and Six Stories also. Even so, I still don't know all the terminology. Thanks.

Cutter
06-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Question for you guys. What's the difference between tipped in and whatever the other optins are? And could you give an example of each style. I have two King limited right now, Insomnia and From A Buick 8, but I once owned Desperation and Six Stories also. Even so, I still don't know all the terminology. Thanks.

Tipped in is really the only way they are done anymore. It just means the book is printed on paper, and bound (meaning the novel). After the book has been produced, the signature pages are then added in. If you look you'll see the signature page is usually bound with the end pages rather than the rest of the book.

Sam
06-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I've seen a good bit of books that are simply signed on the title page and sold as S/Ls as well. I think I do folow what you are talking about. I just looked at three of my other S/Ls and the signature pages are all glued between an endpaper and the next page. I figured that was "tipped in" but was not 100% positive.
The other method I take it is simply to bind the book with the signature page as just another page.

Bev Vincent
06-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah, they're either bound in or tipped in.

e_taylor
06-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Heres a question Karen might be able to answer:

Any idea what the price of the s/l will be?

Nerak
06-15-2008, 04:28 PM
nope, that information is not yet available for release

wizardsrainbow
06-16-2008, 03:57 AM

I can only make an educated guess based on prices of previous Grant S/L of the DT series...I would say $225-$275, shocked if it were outside this range.

Patrick
06-25-2008, 11:44 PM

I can only make an educated guess based on prices of previous Grant S/L of the DT series...I would say $225-$275, shocked if it were outside this range.
Karen told me in confidence that it would cost a cool grand, but that it would have lots of fun pop-ups that would totally justify the price.

wizardsrainbow
06-26-2008, 02:27 AM

Karen told me in confidence that it would cost a cool grand, but that it would have lots of fun pop-ups that would totally justify the price.

and you can only get everything through Cemetary Dance...(just joshing folks)

lophophoras
06-26-2008, 03:15 AM

My check book just did a back flip.

;-)

Nerak
06-26-2008, 06:09 AM
wow, you guys are mean!! :P

wizardsrainbow
06-26-2008, 06:11 AM
wow, you guys are mean!! :P

We just know you have a smashing good sense of humor Karen.

Cutter
06-27-2008, 06:53 AM

I really hope so. I got tired real fast of Sub Press and PS Pub making tons of money by jacking up the price on the books because they were by Stephen King. And add the pop-up book to this argument.