PDA

View Full Version : publishing poetry?

flaggwalkstheline
11-04-2008, 10:32 AM
does anybody here know anything about publishing poetry? please post it here because I really NEED to get my writing published and need information

The Lady of Shadows
11-04-2008, 07:06 PM
before i can answer your question, you need to answer mine. do you want to publish online or in paper? that makes a difference. a lot of places aren't publishing poems by unknown authors but there are online places that are. also, when ves'ka gan gets back i'll point her in this direction (actually, i'll pm this thread to her now).

anyway, paper or cyber publication?

flaggwalkstheline
11-04-2008, 09:43 PM
paper, like in magazine or in books (ive got enough n im good enough)

The Lady of Shadows
11-05-2008, 02:10 PM
i'm pretty sure mcsweeney's (http://www.mcsweeneys.net/) takes poetry. but i'm not sure what their requirements are. or are you looking to do a book of your own? in that case, you'll need an agent or you could go the self-publishing route.

also, there's a site called empty mirror books (http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/publishing/advice.html) that has some advice but i'm not sure how current it is (i haven't been there in some months.

i've only ever had two pieces published and that was ages ago (i'm loathe to say how long) so i can't really remember how it worked. and i'm sure it doesn't work the same way now.

i'll ask ves'ka gan the next time i talk to her (probably today or tomorrow) - she still doesn't have internet because apparently everyone in joshua tree is too high to get any business done. :lol:

if you don't get a response in a while, don't panic. nobody is ignoring you. and keep putting things in your thread. we are reading them, just sometimes i personally know i don't know what to say or how to say it. :)

Darkthoughts
11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
In the UK we have a book that is updated annually called The Writer's and Artist's Handbook, which lists all UK publishers, inc. magazines that accept submissions. It gives details on whether they accept unsolicited mass, etc and has a specific poetry section. You should search for something similar :thumbsup:

flaggwalkstheline
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
yes i got a copy of the poets market 07 which does that and ive submitted like crazy with no results

Ves'Ka Gan
11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Unfortunatley I am not that big of a expert on the subject, but I do have one poem published online. Poetry.com published one of mine...all I did was submit to one of their many contests, and although I did not win, they did believe it good enough to post on their site.

As for me, I self-publish a lot online through blogspot.com and my new webpage...hope that helps some?

Jon
11-09-2008, 04:36 AM
My experience with Poetry.com, mind you this was when the Net was in its infancy, 1988 or so, they published an anthology and asked that I allow a couple of my poems be in it...then they asked me to purchase the book. I looked... there were 500 authors. If 200 hundred authors bought the book (I was in the printing business at the time so I knew the math) the book would make money!

It struck me as a scam.

flaggwalkstheline
11-09-2008, 07:57 AM
yes they r a vanity press, i entered a "contest" from them several years ago and they havent stopped emialing me since trying to et me to give them money

Bev Vincent
11-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Go to www.duotrope.com and click the Poetry tab under Search for publishers of:

A lot of places publish poetry, even ones you might not suspect, like Weird Tales.