PDA

View Full Version : Wizardsrainbow

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 03:21 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Jae_and_David.JPG

Hello Everyone! My name is David Williamson and it's my week in the Staff Spotlight. I am a Facilitator in Calvin's Corner…the Collectors area of this awesome site. I consider it a privilege and an honor to be here, so THANK YOU!

I was born many moons ago on September 9 in Des Moines, Iowa. I am the middle child of three in my family, having an older brother (by 3 years) and a younger sister (4 years). As a young child, we moved from Des Moines to Chagrin Falls, Ohio (a suburb of Cleveland) and then on to Chatham, New Jersey. When I was in the third grade, we moved to a pretty tiny town in Ohio called Celina. My father was head of Personnel for a small insurance company there. I graduated from Celina Senior High School in 1977 and was a pretty good student. I was very active in extra-curricular activities: varsity baseball, Student Council, Latin Club, FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) and numerous other clubs. I had quite a happy childhood overall.

I got an undergraduate degree in Finance from Drake University (in Des Moines), was a charter member of the Sigma Chi fraternity at Drake and met my future wife there (although she was my roommate's girlfriend at the time, but that's another story). After Drake, I moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin and entered the management training program for Gimbel's Department Store. Two years of long hours and low pay led me to bail on retail, and I decided to pursue a graduate degree in Finance and got accepted at the University of Arizona (Tucson). I obtained my Masters Degree and landed a job as a Research Analyst for a small brokerage house on Wall Street. So that led me back to the East Coast. During the move, I began the relationship that ultimately led to my marriage (now 19 years+ strong). In 1989, my father died of cancer, probably the lowest point of my life thus far. I now have three children, a boy in high school, a boy in middle school and a daughter in primary school. I currently reside in Fairfield, Connecticut and work in New York City as a Research Analyst for a well-known Swiss bank. My family remains #1 in my heart and I consider myself to be a fairly hands-on father and husband.

My passion for Stephen King and eventually the Dark Tower started many years ago (in the 1980s). The first King book I read was Salem's Lot and I was instantly hooked. After reading The Stand, though, was when the collecting bug hit me. After much back and forth trying to decide, my first purchase was a flawless 1978 1st edition of The Stand from Stu at Bett's Books. Now my collection has become pretty large and along the way I have come to love and be dedicated to this site (and formerly TDT.net). My interest in King and collecting has opened and sustained many new and wonderful relationships for me, namely with artist Michael Whelan and Audrey Price (they live just 40 minutes from me) as well as Jae Lee (who lived in NYC until April of this year), and I certainly cannot forget our own beloved Karen (Nerak) of Grant Books. I have met "The Man" himself several times, the first at the Wavedancer Benefit for Frank Muller in NYC in Feb. 2002, also at the 92nd Street Y event to launch DT VII, then the Harry Carrie and Garp readings at Radio City Music Hall, and earlier this year at the 3 Kings event in Washington DC. This Thursday, I will attend his reading and signing in Holyoke Mass.

Now, I've spouted off much too long I think, so fire away with your questions. I consider anything fair game! :rock:

turtlex
11-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Hey David -

First question... Why Cool Hand Luke?

And... how does your family feel about your collecting? Are they Sai King fans as well?

alinda
11-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Hi David. You wrote that very well. I still havent a clue what I shall say.I've thrown away any ideas I've had so far. But this is about you :huglove:so here's some questions.
After all the time, not to mention money that you have invested in collecting all those
SK books and other treasures, do you have a favorite item? One that sits center ?
What was it like to be the middle child really? You say you go to NYC to work every day
how do you commute by train I suspect? Do you read the paper like everyone else or do you have SK on audio or something?

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Hey David -

First question... Why Cool Hand Luke?

And... how does your family feel about your collecting? Are they Sai King fans as well?

Hi Pam!!

I have always loved Paul Newman as an actor. I think I saw him first in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid when I was a kid. There was just something about his smile, his wit, his presence in a film that endeared me to him. I loved Cool Hand Luke because of his grit, determination, creativity...I don't know, he was just cool as a cucumber in a very tough situation and that really appealed to me.

Well, my family thinks it's kinda nuts what I do in terms of collecting. My wife has never been a collector and does not see the appeal in it (for her). She totally gets that it floats my boat, and she is pretty supportive of my collecting. I can say that it has been a subject of stress in our house from time to time, but generally, she's pretty cool. My kids know that the collection is important to me and that they DON'T TOUCH MY BOOKS. Only my oldest son and my wife have read King extensively. My son really enjoys the books, and there are some that my wife has enjoyed. Those two are he ones that I show off my new acquisitions to, because the "get it" the most.

Nerak
11-03-2008, 04:03 AM
awwww, I made your list of friends! :couple: It's waaaaaaaaay to early to think of questions for you! LOL But fear not, my friend, I shall return!!

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Hi David. You wrote that very well. I still havent a clue what I shall say.I've thrown away any ideas I've had so far. But this is about you :huglove:so here's some questions.
After all the time, not to mention money that you have invested in collecting all those
SK books and other treasures, do you have a favorite item? One that sits center ?
What was it like to be the middle child really? You say you go to NYC to work every day
how do you commute by train I suspect? Do you read the paper like everyone else or do you have SK on audio or something?

Hi alinda! :huglove:

Thanks. I am sure you will think of something to start off your spotlight next week!

I have lots of favorites in my collection, but the one that I think I love the most is an Artist's edition of The Dark Tower that has an original sketch (remarque) done by Michael Whelan. I have several remarqued copies, but this one is very detailed and absolutely kick-ass, drop-dead awesome. Here is a picture:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wizremarque1.jpg

What was it like to be the middle child really?

Well for me, my older brother made all the mistakes, had all the new parenting styles launched on him etc. My sister has her own issues, with some developmental delay etc. And there I was, good is school, popular, witty, etc., so I became the "golden boy" which through my life has been a significant weight, cause I am the one always expected to succeed, do well, be perfect. I think I have done pretty well so far.

You say you go to NYC to work every day

I am coming to realize that if I answer everybody's questions like I have the first 2, I'm gonna get fired at work! :panic:....but this is SO FUN!

I take the train from CT to Grand Cental Station everyday. I get up at 3:15am and am on the 4:40am train (first one out). From Grand Central it is a 1 mile walk to my office (I only take the subway in bad weather). I walk in the door at 6:05am. In the mornings, quite honestly, I sleep! On my commute home, I read for pleasure.

Thanks for the questions!!!

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 04:14 AM
awwww, I made your list of friends! :couple: It's waaaaaaaaay to early to think of questions for you! LOL But fear not, my friend, I shall return!!

And I eagerly await WHATEVER you throw my way! :huglove:

turtlex
11-03-2008, 04:23 AM
That remarque is absolutely amazing. :)

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 04:38 AM
That remarque is absolutely amazing. :)

That picture has been my desktop background on both my work and home computers for a long time.

turtlex
11-03-2008, 05:11 AM
I'd have it as my desktop as well. It's a magnificent work of art.

I also now know why you and I are usually online before the crack of dawn each morning ( I have to be in work by 6am ).

Technically, you and I might be having coffee together every day.

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 05:16 AM
I'd have it as my desktop as well. It's a magnificent work of art.

I also now know why you and I are usually online before the crack of dawn each morning ( I have to be in work by 6am ).

Technically, you and I might be having coffee together every day.

Sure, a cyber coffee clutch! Although I am a coca-cola fiend, I confess.

Darkthoughts
11-03-2008, 05:28 AM
Blimey! I can't believe you have to get up so early!! Do you go to bed early too? Or have you just gotten used to it?

What do you envisage yourself doing when you retire?

Which authors do you most enjoy, apart from SK?

If you could do any other job in the world, for just a day, what would you do?

Do you watch much tv? If so, what's your favourite show?

What qualities do you most admire in other people?

Are you very ambitious? If you set yourself a goal do you always carry on until you've achieved it?

That's all for now, it's a pleasure to know you David and I look forward to learning more about you :huglove:

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Blimey! I can't believe you have to get up so early!! Do you go to bed early too? Or have you just gotten used to it?

Are you very ambitious? If you set yourself a goal do you always carry on until you've achieved it?

That's all for now, it's a pleasure to know you David and I look forward to learning more about you :huglove:

Hi Lisa :huglove:
I am holding you to your promise of that pint should I make it over to the UK!

I can't believe you have to get up so early!! Do you go to bed early too? Or have you just gotten used to it?

I usually go to bed between 10:30-11, so I get 4-5 hours of sleep. I can usually sleep on the weekends, but I am never in bed for more than 8 hours.

Wow, great question. I figure I am still 10+ years away from retiring, but what I envision is several things: (1) King collecting full time...yipee! (if I have any $$ left :() (2): spending loads more time with my wife and doing some traveling with her and (3) charity work for causes I feel strongly about or helping children in some way.

I enjoy Clive Barker, Peter Straub, Tolkein, JK Rowling, Joe Hill, JD Salinger...hmmmm, I am sure there are some others.

Be Stephen King's personal assistant or a professional baseball player.

No, I hardly watch any TV at all as I get home at 6:30, help with dinner, do homework with the kids, bedtime rituals including reading to my 12 and 7 year old every night, then kitchen cleanup and by then it's at least 9:30. I'll spend some time with my wife and oldest son, read a little bit and then go to bed. That said, I used to be an X-Files fanatic and before that Twin Peaks. David Lynch is one bizarre dude.

Being straightforward, honest, genuine, KIND, giving, humorous and reliable.

I do consider myself to be ambitious and am proud of my personal and professional accomplishments. Especially with something I care about or am invested in, I am particularly tenacious about completing a task and pushing myself beyond what I ever thought my limits might be.

Thank you so much for the great questions.

Brice
11-03-2008, 06:29 AM

All qualities you seem to exhibit yourself.

Hey David! :D Good morning!

What is your favorite book you own with no substantial monetary value. Or to put it simply which is your favorite purely for sentimental reasons?

What is your favorite book you own WITHOUT a sig or a remarque?

Since you seem to have the biggest DT collection: How many DT books do you actually own? :lol:

Do you have an actual library?

What is your fondest childhood memory?

If you could go anywhere right now, where would you go?

Ok, some ones I asked the other people:

What is the cruelest thing you've ever done?
What is the kindest thing you've ever done?
What is the cruelest thing ever done to you?
What is the kindest thing ever done for you?

e_taylor
11-03-2008, 06:33 AM
David - hows it going?

How do you manage to be such a nice guy? (A more serious question than it seems! - you seem to be extremely busy with work, and have a fairly high profile job. How have you managed to avoid always looking out for #1?

What exactly do you do at your job?

What would it take for me to get you into Michael Slade?

sarah
11-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi David! :couple: It was super great to meet you in person.

What vacation plans do you have for 2009?

What are your three favorite books that you can read over and over?

What is it about Roland and his Ka-Tet that makes you so passionate?

Who are some of your favorite bands?

Best concert?

What super power would you love to have for a day?

Other than meeting Jae Lee, what was your best moment in Vegas? Funniest moment?

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 07:14 AM

All qualities you seem to exhibit yourself.

What is your favorite book you own with no substantial monetary value. Or to put it simply which is your favorite purely for sentimental reasons?

Since you seem to have the biggest DT collection: How many DT books do you actually own? :lol:

Ok, some ones I asked the other people:

Hi ya Brice! Top o' the morning to you, my friend!

It would be the first collectible book I purchased: The first edition Stand. I think that is some of King's best writing. Truth be told, I think some of his best writing was when he was F'd up.

Hmmm, without a sig or a remarque....probably a 1st edition Carrie

197 (really, I just counted)

No, but I have 3 enormous bookshelves that are filled with my collection. I just organized my collection over the weekend (with 2 new cases...long story there) and took pictures. I will try to get them up later here this morning.

Oh boy, that's a tough one. What came to mind first (maybe not the fondest) was the varied family vacations we took as a family. When we lived in New Jersey, we drove twice across the country to visit my grandparents in Anaheim California so we took different routes and I got to see many of the wonders of the US, including the Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains etc. We went deep sea fishing in the Pacific Ocean on one of those trips and I remember catching a lot of barracuda. Pretty cool time.

Home to my wife (we would have the house to ourselves...need I say more?)
But outside of that, to Switzerland, where I travel at least once a year on business...beautiful country and beautiful, friendly people.

A tie between teasing my little sister about alligators being under her bed so she remained landlocked on her bed unable to leave her room and this memory: When I lived in Celina, is is on a huge 10-mile man-made lake. There was a place called the hot water hole (a place where the local power plant's disposed water congregated I guess). In the winter, a buddy and me would ride our bikes there to fish. We could snag shad on a 3-prong hook (no bait) as the fish congregated there because of the warmth. We would take the fish and wedge it between the slats in the pier and then "kick field goals." Now how sick and twisted was that?

I once gave a young homeless guy that I regularly saw in NYC a $50 bill right before Xmas one year.

Hmmm tough one. I'd say this...there was a boy in my class in the 8th grade that really used to bully me and threaten me. He scared the piss out of me.

Gifts from my family. The most memorable was a Valentine Day poster that my wife and two young boys did (before my daughter was born). My wife took pictures of my two boys laying on the carpet making letters with their bodies and then putting the pictures together to spell out We Love You. To this day, it is the best gift I have ever received.

Thanks Brice!

Matt
11-03-2008, 07:24 AM
I love these amazingly detailed answers to the questions David, I hope you aren't losing too much work time.

My question:

Which has been your favorite signing you have attended. It doesn't have to be King of course.

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 07:25 AM
David - hows it going?

How do you manage to be such a nice guy? (A more serious question than it seems! - you seem to be extremely busy with work, and have a fairly high profile job. How have you managed to avoid always looking out for #1?

Hi Eric!!! It's great to see a Collector buddy venturing into this thread! Thanks!

Eric, thank you for saying so. For my whole life people have always told me I am such a nice guy. I really don't think I do anything out of the ordinary. By nature, I am a happy individual and I have been very fortunate and blessed in my life, so that makes it easy to be kind and nice to others. There is just something that makes me feel good about brightening up someone else's day. I am lucky to have the things I do and I share pretty freely when I can. Does that answer the question???

I am a research analyst that covers US consumer stocks. I analyse about 50 different consumer companies...Wal-Mart, McDonald's, Nike, Coca-Cola...you get the idea...for my company. I write reports about these companies telling our clients why or why not someone should own these stocks in their investment portfolio. So I am the idea guy. I leave the selling to the salesman.

Recommend one of his books, the one you think is his best, for me to read.

Thank you for the questions.

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 07:44 AM

Best concert?

Other than meeting Jae Lee, what was your best moment in Vegas? Funniest moment?

And it was wonderful to meet you Sarah and everyone else. We had a great time in Vegas didn't we! :grouphug:

We have a time share at Smuggler's Notch Vermont. Unfortunately our ski week in early March 2009 is the same week as Connecticut Mastery tests at the kid's schools, so I think we will trade that week for a summer week of hiking, swimming, biking etc. in VT. We will undoubtedly ski during President's week vacation in the Northeast.

Easy. Lord of the Rings (technically more than 1 book), The Dark Tower (same) and The Great Escape (Great 1960s movie and even better book) about a WWII POW escape from a German concentration camp.

I tend to like stories that pull in characters from different walks of life where they band together to achieve some common goal or task, watching the relationships and friendships build and the elation when said goal is reached (or disappointment when not). Tolkien was a similar story line.

Green Day, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, REM, The Ramones

Best concert?
Attended in person: Tom Petty
Wished I was there: Green Day Bullet in a Bible in the UK

In January I am seeing Rotting Christ and in February Cradle of Filth....for my 15 year old.

To be able to fly. I think the sensation would be awesome (after I got over the fear of having nothing below me for a 1000 feet or more)

Best moment was just when everyone was gathered in Jerome's room. That was just too cool for words to be with all of you. :grouphug:
Funniest moment: There were lots and lots but I think the whole sippy cup of milk for Patrick was a hoot!

Thanks Sarah dear for your questions,

e_taylor
11-03-2008, 07:45 AM

Hmm, not his best but, the beginning of the series, so I'll say "Headhunter". Let me know if you need help finding a copy - I can even send you a spare paperback if you need.

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 07:51 AM
I love these amazingly detailed answers to the questions David, I hope you aren't losing too much work time.

My question:

Which has been your favorite signing you have attended. It doesn't have to be King of course.

Hi Matt!

You are the bomb dude!

Matt, it is King, of course. The Wavedancer benefit for Frank Muller. My first time meeting sai King. It was February 2, 2002 or 2-2-02. He was scheduled to read from Black House (as Peter Straub did that night), but he said his son Owen convinced him to read "The Revenge of Ladass Hogan." King was in prime form that night and he had the place rolling in the aisles. Then at the signing I asked him about when the newest DT book was going to come out and I learned from King himself that night that the actual title was going to be Wolves of the Calla (not the The Crawling Shadow as was widely speculated by some at the time). I was over the moon. M-O-O-N, that spells moon.

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 07:53 AM

Hmm, not his best but, the beginning of the series, so I'll say "Headhunter". Let me know if you need help finding a copy - I can even send you a spare paperback if you need.

Eric, thanks for the recommendation. I am just into Brisingr, which is a lllllooonnnggg book, but I will put Headhunter on my list.

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 07:55 AM

My question:

Light day at the office today, thankfully. No promises for the rest of the week, and I will be going to Mass on Thursday for the King signing event.

Matt
11-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi Matt!

You are the bomb dude!

The feelings mutual my friend. :couple:

Love the answer on the signing, that must have been amazing.

Brice
11-03-2008, 08:30 AM
You know....even before you said that you were going for your kid, I somehow suspected you were not a huge Rotting Christ/COF fan. :lol:

and :o Damn...197 DT books! I would say you might be a junkie.

Seriously! Thanks for all the great answers David! I'm enjoying your thread already. :)

CRinVA
11-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Hey David we are well met having met at The Three Kings!

First off your responses are da bomb as my kids might say! you are well blessed - the $50 bill to the homeless guy touched me deeply!

OK a couple of questions.

(1) You played baseball in HS and also said if you could be anything else that Professional Baseball player was on that list! Awesome - I live for baseball, both the pros and watching my son play. So what position did you play? Were you any good? What Pro Team would you like to play for!

(2) 197 DT Books - damn, my jaw dropped to the floor. I came to the realization a few years ago that I was never going to own a set of same numberred S/L Dark Tower! That is unless I really hit the Lottery! :-) I'd be happy for a 1st Ed Gunslinger; only that and a First Salem's Lot elude my collection! So my question is How many copies of The Gunslinger do you have and what types? Humor me so that I may revel and drool over your answer to this one.

(3) I know you ski with your kids. Have you ever been skiing in Switzerland? I used to ski a lot and always dreamed of skiing int he Alps! That would be awesome! Thus far my skiing has been in upstate NY (Gore Mountain), Vermont (Killington, Bromley) and Pennsylvania (not worth mentioning)!

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 08:36 AM
You know....even before you said that you were going for your kid, I somehow suspected you were not a huge Rotting Christ/COF fan. :lol:

and :o Damn...197 DT books! I would say you might be a junkie.

Seriously! Thanks for all the great answers David! I'm enjoying your thread already. :)

Thanks Brice-
I just posted these in the Pride & Joy thread in the Collectors area. I finally got 2 of my new bookshelves delivered and organized this weekend. They don't hold all of my books but since I am in the Spolight this week, I am allowed to show off. Here are my 3 main bookcases that house the bulk of my collection:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/Bookshelves5.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Bookshelves1.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Bookshelves2.JPG

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 08:39 AM

First off your responses are da bomb as my kids might say! you are well blessed - the $50 bill to the homeless guy touched me deeply!

(1) You played baseball in HS and also said if you could be anything else that Professional Baseball player was on that list! Awesome - I live for baseball, both the pros and watching my son play. So what position did you play? Were you any good? What Pro Team would you like to play for!

(2) 197 DT Books - damn, my jaw dropped to the floor. I came to the realization a few years ago that I was never going to own a set of same numberred S/L Dark Tower! That is unless I really hit the Lottery! :-) I'd be happy for a 1st Ed Gunslinger; only that and a First Salem's Lot elude my collection! So my question is How many copies of The Gunslinger do you have and what types? Humor me so that I may revel and drool over your answer to this one.

(3) I know you ski with your kids. Have you ever been skiing in Switzerland? I used to ski a lot and always dreamed of skiing int he Alps! That would be awesome! Thus far my skiing has been in upstate NY (Gore Mountain), Vermont (Killington, Bromley) and Pennsylvania (not worth mentioning)!

Hi Bob-
We are well met again! Give me a little time (I am off to the gym to work out), but I will answer your questions (GREAT ones) when I get back and while I eat lunch at my desk. Yes, people, there is virtually no real work being done by yours truly today, but I am indeed loving this!

e_taylor
11-03-2008, 09:05 AM
When you see CoF - you need to listen to the music behind the music. Dani Filth (who knows what his real name is) has multiple Masters degrees in symphony and orchestra composition - I often play one of their CDs, turned down low as a soothing way to get to sleep - and it works!

Brice
11-03-2008, 09:17 AM
When you see CoF - you need to listen to the music behind the music. Dani Filth (who knows what his real name is) has multiple Masters degrees in symphony and orchestra composition - I often play one of their CDs, turned down low as a soothing way to get to sleep - and it works!

Daniel Lloyd Davey! :) And you're right he's very talented. I'm guessing their concerts aren't known for being soothing though. :lol:

Rotting Christ is actually good if you enjoy their type of music too.

Daghain
11-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi David! *waves*

First of all, it was awesome to meet you in Vegas. And thanks again for the Whelan remarque - it is awesome and the pride of my bookshelf!

When you do decide to retire, where do you think you'll live?

If you could drive any car you wanted, what would it be?

Paper or plastic? Why?

Favorite season? Why?

Do you enjoy traveling for your job?

Hannah
11-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi David! :couple:

You have an amazing collection! I just have a couple of questions for you ... and I've asked a few other people this question too.

Do you sing in the shower? If so, what do you sing?

What's your favorite thing about being a father?

What's your least favorite thing about being a father?

Odetta
11-03-2008, 09:53 AM
:huglove:

I would like to hear more about how you met your wife and how she was your roomate's girlfriend... care to share?

What is your middle name?

What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?

What do you do for work in Switzerland?

jayson
11-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi David.

Here come some more musical questions...

Do you play any instruments?

If so, which one(s) and for how long?

If not, which one would you most like to learn to play?

If you could see any musician/band (past or present) live in concert, who would it be?

Thanks for taking the time to answer and share with us. :)

Brice
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
What is the one book you most want?

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 10:35 AM

OK Bob, now I'm back.

In high school, I played 3rd base. I was more a Brooks Robinson type player than a Pete Rose. For thosev of you not conversant in baseball lore, I was a good fielder with a strong arm but a mediocre hitter. I was good enough to start, so that says something I guess. As for pro team, my answer would have to be the Cincinnati Reds. I spent many days and nights at Crosley Field (remember the terrace in the outfield?) and Riverfront Stadium cheering on the Big Red Machine of the 1970s. 2nd choice goes with my favorite current team, the Boston Red Sox. How could you not want to play a game at Fenway?

The Gunslinger, number of copies second only to DT VII. If you count 3 Grant editions, Viking etc, here is what I have (30):

1 Lettered S/L letter AY
4 S/L # 296, 310, 415 and PC
2 Grant 1st editions 1 signed by King and Whelan and 1 signed by Whelan
7 Grant 2nd editions 3 signed by King and Whelan, 3 by Whelan only
3 Grant 3rd editions 1 signed by King + Whelan, 2 unsigned
1 Plume ARC with variant cover
1 Plume ARC with publisher letter
3 Plume 1st editions, 1 signed by King and Whelan
1 Sphere 1st edition UK
1 Viking Advanced Reading copy with publisher letter
3 Viking 1st editions 1 signed by King
1 Viking 4th edition signed by King
2 S/L Tapes # 296 and #797

3) I know you ski with your kids. Have you ever been skiing in Switzerland? I used to ski a lot and always dreamed of skiing int he Alps! That would be awesome! Thus far my skiing has been in upstate NY (Gore Mountain), Vermont (Killington, Bromley) and Pennsylvania (not worth mentioning)!
Yes, I have been skiing in the Swiss Alps twice. Once with my wife before we had children and the second just this past February. I had promised my boys 5 years ago that I would take them skiing in Switzerland some day, so we save up $$ and decided 2008 would be the year. We skiied for a week in a place called Wengen. They hold a World Cup race there at the end of January every year. Here are a couple of pictures of where we were:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Wengen_Ski.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Kids_Eiger.JPG

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 10:55 AM
:couple:
Hi David! *waves*

First of all, it was awesome to meet you in Vegas. And thanks again for the Whelan remarque - it is awesome and the pride of my bookshelf!

Paper or plastic? Why?

Favorite season? Why?

Hi David! *waves*
Hi Dags!!!!!:couple:

My pleasure both times :)

I would say either Vermont or Maine. My wife and I love both places, and we have spent a lot of time in both places, summer and winter.

The one I drive now, a Honda Ridgeline. I really like it. It's not fancy, but I've never been wowed by the muscle cars.

Paper or plastic? Why?
This may sound like a wishy washy answer but I prefer both for different reasons. When I don't have my own grocery bag with me, I always use paper because we line our kitchen trash with the paper bags. That said, we use lots of zip lock storage bags for food, but I always hand wash them, using them many many times before throwing them away (either they rip or the zippy thing no longer works well).

Favorite season? Why?
Although skiing is my favorite sport ant time of year, I prefer autumn for the brilliant colors, the smell of the air. This is why (taken yesterday on my morning walk):

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Foliage.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Foliage1.JPG

Need I say more?

Yes I do. While now, I really only travel to Switzerland one, maybe twice a year, it is for a week at a time, which is not too long to be away from my family. In years past, when I worked for another unit of my company, I would travel twice a year and to more varied places like Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Belgium, Spain and the UK.

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 11:20 AM

You have an amazing collection! I just have a couple of questions for you ... and I've asked a few other people this question too.

Hi Hannah!:couple:

Thank you very much. Fire away.

No I do not, and my family is forever grateful.

The unconditional love that we share. As you know, it's not always warm fuzzies, but the deep seeded love is ALWAYS there.

I think, Hannah, it's having to discipline my children. I'd much rather be the sugar daddy, but setting limits and drawing the line is an important lesson that all children need to learn to grow into successful adults, but it's not a fun thing to do.

Hannah
11-03-2008, 11:45 AM

Hi Hannah!:couple:

Thank you very much. Fire away.

No I do not, and my family is forever grateful.

The unconditional love that we share. As you know, it's not always warm fuzzies, but the deep seeded love is ALWAYS there.

I think, Hannah, it's having to discipline my children. I'd much rather be the sugar daddy, but setting limits and drawing the line is an important lesson that all children need to learn to grow into successful adults, but it's not a fun thing to do.

I totally agree with you on discipline being one of the worst parts abotu parenting. Also, the feeling you get when something happens that is outside of your control (like your child getting their feelings hurt by someone at school) and you can't do enough to make it better. I hate that. Paris has a shirt that says "my dad can fix anything." I think that father's are so much better about making little girls hearts whole. Your daughters are lucky to have such a caring, loving, father.

Follow up question: do you collect anything besides books and book-related artwork?

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 11:53 AM

I would like to hear more about how you met your wife and how she was your roomate's girlfriend... care to share?

:blush::wub:

Of course, that's why I am here, and I think it's a pretty good story.

In college, I had a steady girlfriend, Christie, for about 2 1/2 years and was really in love with her (another good story about the ending of that relationship, but someone needs to ask!). In my sophomore year I joined the Sigma Chi fraternity on campus and lived in the frat house my junior and senior years. My roommate my junior year was Rob and his steady girlfriend was Valerie (later my wife). We had a system of leaving a coat hanger on our door if one of use was "busy" in the room. Sometimes both women spent the night (I had the upper bunk). But Christie and Valerie (both had become "Little Sisters" of the fraternity) hated each other. My relationship with Christie unfortunately ended after I left school and started working in Milwaukee (she was still at school), so I became single. About 3 years later after I got my Masters degree at Arizona, I was at my parents house in Ohio, but I had to travel to Arizona to pick up all of my belongings and then move everything to the East Coast where I had landed a job. So, on my way to AZ, I stopped in Des Moines to see my college friends that were still there and went to a hockey game. There sitting behind me was Valerie (also unattached at this time). We sat together and talked, and I told her I was on my way to AZ. She convinced me to stay a couple extra days in DesMoines so I hung out with her, went to dinner etc. She asked me if I needed any help moving and I said really? So she rearranged her schedule at work and we drove out to Tuscon together in my new Renault Alliance. Well we got to know each other REALLY well on that trip. I dropped her off in Des Moines on the way back and continued on to the East Coast. We kept in touch by phone and mail (no e-mail in those days people!) and about a year later she got accepted into a Masters degree program in psychology at Boston University, so she moved East. Now I was in NY and she in Boston. In those days there was a small airline called People's Express that had $19 flights between NY and Boston, so we saw a lot of each other. I took a job in Hartford CT within 2 years and we ended up living together in northwest CT. I commuted to Hartford, she drove to BU until she finished her degree. Then she found a job in Hartford too and in the fall of 1989 we got married at a country inn in Woodstock Vermont.

Alan. I was named after my father's best man at his wedding who also became my Godfather, but I have no relationship with him and never even met him in my life.

Ahhh, this was one of my best moments ><:doh: In August 2002, my high school class was celebrating our 25 year reunion. I brought my whole family to Celina Ohio (for the first time) to show them where I grew up, and my mother even flew in from Des Moines to visit friends and see us. Saturday night I go to the country club where the event was taking place and find out that the reunion was the prior week. I completely misread the invitation. My family brings that one up every chance they get.

My company's headquarters is in Zurich, so I meet with lots of internal people there and also travel the country meeting with and giving presentations on my analyses to clients.

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi David.

Here come some more musical questions...

If so, which one(s) and for how long?

If you could see any musician/band (past or present) live in concert, who would it be?

Thanks for taking the time to answer and share with us. :)

Hi David.
Howdy partner!

I am sorry to say I do not.

That's easy...the bagpipes. I love the sound of bagpipes. I even went so far as to buy a starter bagpipe off of eBay some years back, but it never has been a high enough priority to learn how to played the damned thing.

Probably Green Day. My oldest son invited me to see a Green Day concert in Hartford after American Idiot came out, but it was on my birthday and on a week day, and I didn't know too much about them at that point, so I said no. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and share with us.
It is my pleasure. This really is a lot of fun...a lot of work, but still fun. Pssst, don't tell my boss.

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
[quote=Hannah;278605]

Follow up question: do you collect anything besides books and book-related artwork?

Hannah, yes I do, coins. I started when I was a little kid. My mom would take me to the bank and we would get $50 sacks of loose pennies and look through the whole thing seeking coins we needed. I collected pennies and nickels, my brother dimes and my mother did quarters. Today, I really only buy the annual proof sets and Silver Eagle dollars. My heart is not really into it. King collecting is enough to focus on.

jayson
11-03-2008, 12:24 PM
That's easy...the bagpipes. I love the sound of bagpipes. I even went so far as to buy a starter bagpipe off of eBay some years back, but it never has been a high enough priority to learn how to played the damned thing.

A most unique and interesting answer! I have asked many people that question, both here and just in general speaking with people about music and you are the first to answer with bagpipes. Hopefully some day you will find some spare time to learn to play them! :)

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 12:26 PM

Brice-
There are two, both Gunslingers. The first is an Orange Plume ARC and the second is a UK Sphere ARC. Those would make me REAL happy.

CRinVA
11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Great answers Wiz!

Man you really travelled with family in tow to a reuinion that you missed by a week! I am sure you get lots of laughs over that one now!

Yes I would love to play ball in Fenway......as the opposing team of course! Preferable one form the Big Apple! ;-) Sorry we cannot be in agreement in everything! :-)

And OMG and am definitely envious of your Gunslinger collection. Mine is quite simple; a Grant 3rd Edition, a A New and Revised S&S Edition, A Plume first edition. :-)

Vermont would be a terriffic place to retire to. I grew up in Hudson Falls, NY a mere 25 minute drive to Vermont! I spent many weekends at a bar on the NY/VT border called the Hampton Manor. Live bands every weekend, all hard rock, Green Mountain State (GMS) 15 minutes away - for those that don't know at least back then GMS was an all girls private college. The NY and VT State troopers used to take turns at who was watchign for drunk drivers coming out of that place at 4am (last call time back then). I fyou saw NY Troopers you went the VT way and vice versa. The bar driveway was right on the state line! I could get home going in either direction! :-) Of course now I woule retire ther for the beautiful landscapes and 4 seasons and lack of a rat race anywhere you go! :-)

My son played 3rd base as the Varsity starter as a sophomore, but his love is really Shortstop. He has fallen out of baseball over issues with his HS varsity coach - I definitely side with my son on this one - it's a long story for another thread. But he has a longing right now to play Legion ball or college club ball. His college does not accept/consider walk ons! He is an awesome player and I hope he gets back to it.

Lastly, your story about your wife is amazing! Sounds like your getting together was Ka for sure. My wife dated a friend of mine for 8 years (on and off) but the story of us getting together pales in comparison.

Maybe we'll meet again sometime!

Daghain
11-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Okay, I'll ask - why did you break up with the girlfriend?

The Lady of Shadows
11-03-2008, 05:01 PM
:: peeks into thread ::

:: i'm not worthy, i'm not worthy ::

*ahem* i'm okay now. hi wiz! :: waves ::

i'm in awe over your collection and you've always been so nice to me in the collector's area. even when i ask stupid newbie questions. so thank you for that, it really means a lot to me! :rose:

here are a few questions i have for you:

1. if your house was burning and you knew your entire family was safe and you could only save ONE stephen king item what would it be?

2. what is the thing you are most proud of accomplishing in your life?

3. what is the thing you are most ashamed of in your life?

4. if you could change one thing in your life what would it be (not necessarily related to #4)?

5. what's your favorite food?

6. what's your favorite dessert?

7. and the most important question - do you like chocolate?

thanks for answering and like i said earlier, thanks for being so cool to a newbie in the collecting forums! :rose:

NeedfulKings
11-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi David,

You're either asleep or wishing you were! ;)

I've enjoyed reading your responses. Specifically your love of Tom Petty, your long marriage, your sadness in the loss of your father (I lost my father in law in a similar fashion) and your remorse for the fish in Celina. Without really knowing you, I feel like I know a lot about you. :)

Of course, I bow to your greatness for your collection. One less 2nd Gunslinger is on your shelf, as I now have it on mine. LOL, it's pretty bad when THAT is my prize SK so far! Well, it might be tied with my signed Lisey's.

Okay, I'll quit spouting at the mouth! Onto the questions! :D

1. If they made a movie about you, what genre would you want it to be? Who would play you (yes, you can say Paul if you'd like).

2. Do you watch college football? If so, are you still a PAC 10 fan?

3. Is there a word or phrase that you and your wife can say to each other that will make you both smile or laugh, yet means nothing to anyone else?

4. What's your favorite sandwich?

Thanks for answering!!!!!!!

Bill

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 08:01 PM

So I was really seriously in love with this girl Christie all through college and I leave for Milwaukee while she remains in school finishing her degree. We remain in close contact despite the distance. I purchase an engagement ring for $2,000 on layaway on a very small salary at the time. It takes me 9 months to pay it off and finally when I ask her to take the ring, she turns me down. She has been seeing a lot of a freshman fraternity Sigma Chi fraternity brother while I have been away! :cry: So, she says that we are not meant for each other and that we are done.

So here I am with a $2,000 engagement ring. What the heck am I going to do with that? Well, I find a great solution. Her older brother is looking to get engaged so I sell him her ring and he gives it to his future wife. I get an irate phone call from my ex-girlfriend about how could I do such a thing as that. Well, for me, it seemed like a perfect solution. Every time she sees her sister-in-law she will remember what she really lost. :evil:

wizardsrainbow
11-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Turtlesong and Needfulkings...it's 11pm and I gotta go get some sleep. Your questions are great but I want time to answer them well, so you'll have to wait until morning. Sorry.

Good night all.

sarah
11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
David, it is so great to know you better. Your collection is absolutely amazing. Thanks for posting the bookcases and fall pictures.

what is your favorite smilie?

Besides Stephen King, what famous person (alive or dead) would you like to have dinner with?

Favorite Green Day album and song?

Daghain
11-03-2008, 08:41 PM

So I was really seriously in love with this girl Christie all through college and I leave for Milwaukee while she remains in school finishing her degree. We remain in close contact despite the distance. I purchase an engagement ring for $2,000 on layaway on a very small salary at the time. It takes me 9 months to pay it off and finally when I ask her to take the ring, she turns me down. She has been seeing a lot of a freshman fraternity Sigma Chi fraternity brother while I have been away! :cry: So, she says that we are not meant for each other and that we are done.

So here I am with a $2,000 engagement ring. What the heck am I going to do with that? Well, I find a great solution. Her older brother is looking to get engaged so I sell him her ring and he gives it to his future wife. I get an irate phone call from my ex-girlfriend about how could I do such a thing as that. Well, for me, it seemed like a perfect solution. Every time she sees her sister-in-law she will remember what she really lost. :evil:

I think that's absolutely brilliant. :lol:

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 03:23 AM
Dags-

I knew you would like that story. :shoot:

Brice
11-04-2008, 03:44 AM

Brice-
There are two, both Gunslingers. The first is an Orange Plume ARC and the second is a UK Sphere ARC. Those would make me REAL happy.

Ok, if you knew you could only ever have one of the two and that the other would elude you forever which would you choose?

What was the first book you loved?

And which was your favorite as a child?

What one place you've never been to would you most like to visit?

What is your favorite possesion that is not a book?

What was your first job?

What's your favorite color?

And your bookcases are beautiful. :)

turtlex
11-04-2008, 03:57 AM

Poetry!

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 04:10 AM
:: peeks into thread ::

:: i'm not worthy, i'm not worthy ::

*ahem* i'm okay now. hi wiz! :: waves ::

i'm in awe over your collection and you've always been so nice to me in the collector's area. even when i ask stupid newbie questions. so thank you for that, it really means a lot to me! :rose:

here are a few questions i have for you:

1. if your house was burning and you knew your entire family was safe and you could only save ONE stephen king item what would it be?

4. if you could change one thing in your life what would it be (not necessarily related to #4)?

thanks for answering and like i said earlier, thanks for being so cool to a newbie in the collecting forums! :rose:

hi wiz! :: waves ::
Well, hello there turtlesong :rose:

Thank you and your welcome. <I cannot recall ever saying both in the same sentence before....stange.

Hmmmm. toughie. There are so many that I truly love, but given the proximity of this item in my bedroom it would be easy to grab off the wall and get myself outside. It is a piece of original artwork Michael Whelan did for DT 7, when Roland shoots the walk-in when he and Eddie are in Maine. (I don't think I need a spoiler notice for that).

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Walk-In1.JPG

Thank you for asking this question, because there is one event that stands out in my mind as being the coolest, most wonderful thing I have ever done

I delivered my daughter when she was born, with the help of my two small sons.

I'll try not to make this too long and bore everyone....My first-born son was born in a hospital, but my wife and I were quite unhappy with how the staff controlled the birth process in "their" way and largely ignored the things we wanted to do and try. So for our next child, we chose to do a home birth and hired 2 midwives to assist us. Technically, midwives at the time, were not totally legal in CT as I recall. Birthing at home, in our own surroundings, comforts etc was a much better choice for us and with the assist of the midwives, I caught my second son and I was the first person he saw.

We were so happy and comfortable with this process that when Valerie was pregnant with our third child, we chose to birth at home again. On November 15, 2000 at about 4am I had helped my wife into our bathtub to help relieve some back pain and provide comfort. Well, the warm water must have sped up the labor process, so we called our midwife and told her to come (she was 45 minutes to 1 hour away). Well, the phone was still warm when Valerie said, "OMG the baby is coming. If the boys are going to help go get them NOW! So I run into the bedroom that they were sharing at the time and woke them up from a sound sleep, telling them the baby was coming. They rolled out of bed in their PJs and came into the bathroom with me. Bennett (age 7) stood by my wife's head and held her hand. I watched Reid (age 4) push up his PJ sleeves and thrust his hands into the tub water in conjuction with mine. Maybe 30 seconds later, my daughter from the water, Sage Louisa Williamson entered this world, with Reid and myself catching her in the tub. We covered Valerie and Sage in blankets and in 10 minutes or so were able to move them to our king-size bed which was already prepared for a birth. Our midwife walked in maybe 15 minutes later and we're all just sittin' around loving this new precious baby. That, is the coolest thing I have EVER done in my life.

When I was in high school, I was Treasurer of the Student Council and I ran the concession stand at the home football games. I ended up stealing about $100 during the year (all in quarters) and I bought myself a tape recorder. I keep telling myself that I should mail $250 (with interest) cash anonymously to my former high school.

Some of you might scratch your heads at this answer, but I would choose to be less selfish. I put myself first much too often.

I have several, but had one last night. My wife makes a killer potato soup. mmmm mmmm mmmm.

My sweet tooth is only outmatched by my daughter Sage, but I have very strong will power. I'd have to say apple pie...how Americana is that?

Are you kidding? I work for a Swiss company and travel to Switzerland all the time. I do like chocolate, but I do not eat much of it. When I travel in Switzerland I always try as many chocolate mousse desserts as I can, and I have tasted some amazing ones in the past 15 years... a trio of dark, milk and white chocolate....ambrosia

turtlex
11-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Some of you might scratch your heads at this answer, but I would choose to be less selfish. I put myself first much too often.

Gosh. I am scratching my head at this one, Wiz. You're so very generous, in so many ways, to all of us.

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 04:50 AM
Hi David,

I've enjoyed reading your responses. Specifically your love of Tom Petty, your long marriage, your sadness in the loss of your father (I lost my father in law in a similar fashion) and your remorse for the fish in Celina. Without really knowing you, I feel like I know a lot about you. :)

Of course, I bow to your greatness for your collection. One less 2nd Gunslinger is on your shelf, as I now have it on mine. LOL, it's pretty bad when THAT is my prize SK so far! Well, it might be tied with my signed Lisey's.

Okay, I'll quit spouting at the mouth! Onto the questions! :D

1. If they made a movie about you, what genre would you want it to be? Who would play you (yes, you can say Paul if you'd like).

3. Is there a word or phrase that you and your wife can say to each other that will make you both smile or laugh, yet means nothing to anyone else?

Thanks for answering!!!!!!!

Bill

Hi David,
Bill, we are well met indeed!

Wishing, I didn't get even 4 hours last night and I am headachey this morning.

Without really knowing you, I feel like I know a lot about you. :)
I guess I am being successful so far in my responses. And, Bill, I am sorry for the loss of your father.

And I bow to yours as well, which is far from shabby!

Well now, a movie about me? With a fairly boring story line like that I will need an actor that has a presence on screen. Paul would be a fine choice, but I think the actor who has the best range and he is to die-for handsome is Johnny Depp. <Wiz has a man crush on Johnny.> As for genre, I think comedy (even though I am a pretty serious person), because people need to laugh more. Life is just too damned hard and frustrating day to day without some sort of relief/escape through laughter.

If I am a fan of any sport these days, it is college football. My wife's father (who passed just in February) played football for Notre Dame, so I am a converted Domer fan. I get to watch most of their games with my family, and while I like most sports, I hardly ever watch on TV...just no time with 3 kids etc. Oh, I was never a big Pac-10 fan other than a USC hater. Their football rivalry with Notre Dame is one of the best. And I wish Keith Jackson never announces another USC/ND game ever. He is so clearly in USC camp it makes me sick.

:rofl: Yes, but we haven't used it in quite some time. There used to be a commercial on TV for Cherry Coca-Cola. The little ditty went something like Cherry cherry, cherry coca-cola. I would whistle the tune to cherry cherry and she would answer with the other half of the tune.

In my youth, it was easily a BLT, but now that I and my family are vegetarian, I have created the CLT. Take a generously sliced piece of aged provolone and cook it in a t-fal pan (non-stick) on medium heat, When one side browns and the edges of the melted cheese start to crisp, flip it over (a bit tricky) and lightly brown the other side. Slap it on your favorite toast with lettuce and tomato and there you have it, a CLT. The provolone cooked like that is a fairly good approximation to the taste of bacon. :)

Thanks for the great questions!!

turtlex
11-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Wow. Is this a staff spotlight first? Recipes? :)

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 04:58 AM
David, it is so great to know you better. Your collection is absolutely amazing. Thanks for posting the bookcases and fall pictures.

Besides Stephen King, what famous person (alive or dead) would you like to have dinner with?

:wtf: I love the combination of WTF and burst of laughter. Picture yourself doing it and know the feeling that happens when it does occur for real...it feels great!

Jonny Depp, such an interesting person and hot too!

Favorite album is Bullet in a Bible, it's what I play on my iPod everyday during my workout at the gym.

Favorite song happens to not be on that album and one that they recently recorded and released under the band name Foxboro Hot Tubs. It's called The Pedestrian. It's very short, only 2:11, but it is my current fav.

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 05:20 AM

Brice-

Ok, if you knew you could only ever have one of the two and that the other would elude you forever which would you choose?

What was your first job?

And your bookcases are beautiful. :)

Welcome back Brice!

The Orange Gunslinger for the simple reason that it was issued in the US and the Sphere was a UK issue. My collection has large holes in terms of UK copies.

I was an voracious reader as a child and given that I am now 49 years old and my memory isn't what it used to be, I cannot recall a very early reader like Pokey Little Puppy or the Velveteen Rabbit being a favorite. My earliest memory of a book that I REALLY loved was The Hobbit, which I have read at least 20 times.

As I said, my memory is not great back that far in this category, but it was undoubtedly a Dr. Seuss book. I was pretty partial to The Cat in the Hat.

Wales. My heritage is from there, and I have wanted for a long time to meet Ceri (calla_wolf).

Wow, good thought provoking question...thinking...thinking...thinking. Ah, my wedding ring, of course. It is a simply gold band, but it is square and inscribed always, VW 9-23-89

What was your first job?
I was a paperboy. My "route" was 4 streets close to my house, 110 customers. The papers would be delivered to my house after school. I would roll them and rubber band them and stuff them end to end if a cloth bag that would stretch over my handle bars. Then I would ride the sidewalks and throw a paper onto the porch of each house. As a baseball player, I loved this because you are cruising on your bike and you must throw the paper, calculate the angle based on your bike momentum and the wind factor. It was a challenge/game I played with myself. Some of the throws were 40 yards to a front stoop that was maybe 4' by 4'. It was fun. On the weekends, I went door to door to collect $$ for the paper, kept a record book on each customer and then paid the people at the newspaper.

Just one? Black then.

And your bookcases are beautiful.
Thank you.

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 05:22 AM

Gosh. I am scratching my head at this one, Wiz. You're so very generous, in so many ways, to all of us.

Thanks for saying so Pam. I do a nice job of taking care of people, IMO, but I do think about myself quite a lot.

CRinVA
11-04-2008, 05:30 AM

[B]....

That is too funny! Awesome justice!

Brice
11-04-2008, 05:38 AM

Thanks for saying so Pam. I do a nice job of taking care of people, IMO, but I do think about myself quite a lot.

Not a question, but when being generous and thoughtful you should be generous and thoughtful of yourself also. :) It is a good thing.

Thanks for the answers again!

CRinVA
11-04-2008, 05:40 AM
[quote=Daghain;278798]Well, hello there turtlesong :rose:

Thank you for asking this question, because there is one event that stands out in my mind as being the coolest, most wonderful thing I have ever done

I delivered my daughter when she was born, with the help of my two small sons.

I'll try not to make this too long and bore everyone....My first-born son was born in a hospital, but my wife and I were quite unhappy with how the staff controlled the birth process in "their" way and largely ignored the things we wanted to do and try. So for our next child, we chose to do a home birth and hired 2 midwives to assist us. Technically, midwives at the time, were not totally legal in CT as I recall. Birthing at home, in our own surroundings, comforts etc was a much better choice for us and with the assist of the midwives, I caught my second son and I was the first person he saw.

We were so happy and comfortable with this process that when Valerie was pregnant with our third child, we chose to birth at home again. On November 15, 2000 at about 4am I had helped my wife into our bathtub to help relieve some back pain and provide comfort. Well, the warm water must have sped up the labor process, so we called our midwife and told her to come (she was 45 minutes to 1 hour away). Well, the phone was still warm when Valerie said, "OMG the baby is coming. If the boys are going to help go get them NOW! So I run into the bedroom that they were sharing at the time and woke them up from a sound sleep, telling them the baby was coming. They rolled out of bed in their PJs and came into the bathroom with me. Bennett (age 7) stood by my wife's head and held her hand. I watched Reid (age 4) push up his PJ sleeves and thrust his hands into the tub water in conjuction with mine. Maybe 30 seconds later, my daughter from the water, Sage Louisa Williamson entered this world, with Reid and myself catching her in the tub. We covered Valerie and Sage in blankets and in 10 minutes or so were able to move them to our king-size bed which was already prepared for a birth. Our midwife walked in maybe 15 minutes later and we're all just sittin' around loving this new precious baby. That, is the coolest thing I have EVER done in my life.

When I was in high school, I was Treasurer of the Student Council and I ran the concession stand at the home football games. I ended up stealing about $100 during the year (all in quarters) and I bought myself a tape recorder. I keep telling myself that I should mail $250 (with interest) cash anonymously to my former high school.

Wow -

#2 - In your responses in this thread you continue to amaze! What a treat for you and your family. I am sure your boys will also remember this for the rest of their lives as something pretty effing awesome! :-)

#3 - You should probably follow your own suggestion - in today's world that money would probalby really make someone's day and it might help to make a difference.

#4 - Less selfish! I have seen through the cyber world how unselfish you really are! More of us should follow your example! :-)

Randall Flagg
11-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Hello David. Nice to speak with you again.

Given the chance to go on a manned mission to Mars-would you take it, knowing the amount of time you would be gone, and the inherent dangers you would face?

What President in your adult lifetime do you admire the most, and why?

As a condemned prisoner you choose your last meal; An appetizer, an entrée, a dessert and a non-alcoholic beverage-what do you choose?

Of the S/L DT sets you own, what number is your favorite?

Where is the wildest place you have made whoopi?

When are you coming to Northern California?

Traditional bed or waterbed?

Nerak
11-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Hey David!

First off, Brisingr is awsome and an easy read. It will take you no time.

Secondly, can't wait to see you Thursday.

Ok, questions..you have covered so much! And I love the engagement ring story, that rocks!

When does my family get to come visit yours?

Have you ever been in the Whelan's pool?

How many pieces of original DT art do you own?

If you could ask SK one question, what would it be?

How long does it take you to read a book like Brisingr?

How did you find tdt.net?

Are you going to buy you son a car for his 16th birthday?

When are you coming to see me again? :lol:

OK, I have to get the family motivated to go vote! TTYL!! :huglove:

Matt
11-04-2008, 07:14 AM
The two posts about your baby girl and what happened with your girlfriend were so amazingly cool David.

You are a REALLY interesting guy. I love this thread. :clap:

sarah
11-04-2008, 07:35 AM

:wtf: I love the combination of WTF and burst of laughter. Picture yourself doing it and know the feeling that happens when it does occur for real...it feels great!

Jonny Depp, such an interesting person and hot too!

Favorite album is Bullet in a Bible, it's what I play on my iPod everyday during my workout at the gym.

Favorite song happens to not be on that album and one that they recently recorded and released under the band name Foxboro Hot Tubs. It's called The Pedestrian. It's very short, only 2:11, but it is my current fav.

sweet! That is a cool song. Good times. Green Day rocks :D

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 10:17 AM

Given the chance to go on a manned mission to Mars-would you take it, knowing the amount of time you would be gone, and the inherent dangers you would face?

As a condemned prisoner you choose your last meal; An appetizer, an entrée, a dessert and a non-alcoholic beverage-what do you choose?

Hello Jerome. Are we being formal today? :)

What an interesting and unique question. Easy answer for me is no chance. Not that I don't like to venture into new ground or take risks, but that particular situation carries no intrigue for me. I would enjoy briefly being in space, looking at the Earth from 1,000 miles up, and to experience weightlessness, but that novelty would wear off very quickly. Jean Luc Picard I am not. I couldn't bear to be away from my family for that long.

John F. Kennedy. He broke new ground (youngest President, Catholic), he was a gunslinger, dare I use the word maverick (shudders at the brief though of McCain), had novel ideas about the economy and foreign policy and he was a breath of fresh air for America.

What pray tell have I been condemned to death for? For an appetizer, I choose a cheese taster plate. As an entree, my wife's potato soup, for dessert chocolate mousse from Switzerland and beverage Coca-Cola.

Thank you for this question. It would absolutely be #296. It was the only set of the 4 complete ones that I own that I put together on my own; it was my first complete set; I have managed to also find #296 UK S/L Wizard & Glass, #296 S/L Gunslinger audio tapes and I own #296 of all 4 Michael Whelan prints.

The wildest place also happens to be the time I lost my virginity as well...on the pitcher's mound of a Little League baseball diamond, drunk as a skunk at 2am in the morning with a girl by the name of Karen Rector.

No current plans, unfortunately, but my wife was born in Monterey, so I am hoping we take the kids out there some day.

Traditional. Waterbeds are too squishy for my taste.

Thanks for the questions Jerome and thanks again for hosting the Vegas shindig. Kudos to you and your bride.

The Lady of Shadows
11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
that answer about delivering your kids made me cry! :couple:

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey David!

First off, Brisingr is awsome and an easy read. It will take you no time.

Secondly, can't wait to see you Thursday.

Ok, questions..you have covered so much! And I love the engagement ring story, that rocks!

OK, I have to get the family motivated to go vote! TTYL!! :huglove:

Hey David!
Hey there girly-girl :huglove:

Karen, you and your crew are welcome any time! Come on down, if you can stand being around a bunch of flatlanders.

No, I think I would be WAY too self conscious to swim there. They did offer to Sage that she could swim next time she comes to visit.

Call it cheating or no, I am going to count all of my sketches, and, pardon the ultimate brag, am going to post pictures of them all, 19 in total, as I would guess that many people on this site have not ventured into my collection thread or to the Collector's area in general. I will start with the original stand-alone art work and then move to the sketches/remarques.

These first 3 are all original art from the DT VII book (but if any of you want to see the ultimate art collection, take a look at Bob Jackson's (carlosdetweiller) collection:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Hot_Chocolate1.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Signpost1.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Walk-In1.JPG

This one was a gift to me from Michael. It is a preliminary sketch done in charcoal from the original Gunslinger of Roland that became Roland and the Temple of the Oracle

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Oracle_Gunslinger_Study_Sketch.JPG

I will throw this one in here for the heck of it. I rescued this little drawing from the trash can in Michael's study (with his blessing). It is from the upcoming Little Sisters of Eluria/Revised Gunslinger book due to be announced by Grant Books any day now. It shows Roland looking at the ground at the trail of the "little doctor bugs" that followed him outside of Eluria. I expect some variant of this sketch to be in the new book.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Eluria_Preliminary_Sketch.JPG

Now on to the remarques/sketches that I own. These next 11 are all original art that Michael did in DT VII books:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wizremarque1.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wizremarque2.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/Roland_front.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Ka-Tet1.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/Dave_Hutcheson_Remarque.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Roland_Door.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Roland_B-Mac.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wizremarque6.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/wizremarque5.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wizremarque4.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Roland_Door1.JPG

These final three are original DT sketched Michael did in his S/L book The Art of Michael Whelan:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wizremarque7.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wizremarque8.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wizremarque9.jpg

If it all ended right now, would you be satisfied with your life?

Given that I only read for 20 minutes at a time before sleep, probably 3 weeks.

In a Google search

Still undecided. I am a definite lean towards no. My wife I think is more in favor. I WILL NOT buy a new car, perhaps a used one, and it will not be in his name. I drove the family car as a teenager, as did my brother. For me, that's good enough.

Not before year end to be sure. But in the first half of 2009, for sure.

turtlex
11-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Um, that artwork, those remarques - Wowee!
So darned impressive. Took my breath away.

Randall Flagg
11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Have you ever been arrested-if so for what?

What was the last traffic ticket you received, and when did that happen?

Fast lane, or slow lane?

Glass half full or half empty?

Of your children, which one is your favorite, and why?

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what book (only one) would you want for reading?

What day would you love to live again?

FMK-Sandra Bernhard, Sarah Palin, Daghain?

Darkthoughts
11-04-2008, 11:30 AM
<Wiz has a man crush on Johnny.>
:lol: I so want to sig that!

Wales. My heritage is from there, and I have wanted for a long time to meet Ceri (calla_wolf).
Awesome, my family is mostly Welsh, we lived in North Wales for part of my childhood too :thumbsup:

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 12:02 PM

Fast lane, or slow lane?

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what book (only one) would you want for reading?

I have never been arrested. Somehow, I think that won't surprise anyone.

Speeding, probably 5 years ago.

Fast lane, or slow lane?
Definitely fast lane. I rarely drive slower than 75-80 mph on the highway and am not averse to passing cars on the right.

Half full nearly all the time.

Unfair question! The obvious answer is that I love all 3 of my kids but for different reasons. Push comes to shove, if I had to pick just 1 now, my daughter Sage. My 2 boys are pushing envelope these days in what they can get away with and are more combative. My daughter, while fresh and haughty at times, still loves to snuggle with her daddy and is full of kisses and hugs and draws me pictures all the time to hang up at work. She's a doll baby, my Sage.

Probably The Stand. First it's a monster of a book. 2nd, it would be appropriate reading material given the circumstances of being stranded on a deserted island.

November 15, 2000, the day my daughter was born.

I'm showing my ignorance as I don't know what FMK is, but even with out knowing what it means, I pick Daggers, easy choice. :rose:

Letti
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
David, what could I write?
Life treats me well because it lets me know you. Thank you for being.

Have you ever thougt about chaning your av? Have you ever had another av in your life?

What can make you calm if you are very stressed?

Have you ever lost/ruined an important book of yours?

If you could ask one question from God what would it be?

If a tree falls down in the woods and no one is around to hear it- does it make a sound?

Do you have a favourite joke?

Have you ever ridden a horse?

Do you like Calvin Tower?

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Have you ever thougt about chaning your av? Have you ever had another av in your life?

If a tree falls down in the woods and no one is around to hear it- does it make a sound?

Letti, my dear :huglove:, the feeling is mutual and the world (and this site in particular) is a better place because you are in it.

Yes, I have thought about it, but I like keeping the same one. I feel like I am instantly recognizable by it. Does that make sense? I briefly has another avatar. My family bought me a silver coin a couple years back that has a wizard on the front with stars coming out of his hands. I used that image for about a week and then bailed and went back to Paul Newman.

Exercise. I used to be a 5K runner till my knees started giving be problems about a year ago, but I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and try to take a bicycle ride at least once on the weekend. If exercise is not an option, I can quietly go within myself and with imagery, can reduce my stress level.

Thankfully no.

I would ask her why does she tolerate all of the fighting that takes place daily in this world.

Absolutely. Even though no one is around to hear it the displaced air and the impact would make sound. Sorry, sometimes my analytical nature takes over and I come off sounding like a dork.

I'm sorry Letti, but no. I am a terrible joke teller, but I love to listen to other people tell jokes.

Yes, many times as a child. When we went to visit my grandparents in Iowa when I was a kid, we often drove to the country to some stables and rented horses for a couple hours. The last time I rode was in Vermont about 10 years ago.

Sorry, missed one.

Do you like Calvin Tower?
No, I think he is a self-centered, egotistical man. Even though he did the right thing in the end, I have little respect for the man.

Letti
11-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Thank you for answering. It's so good to read your answers.

Daghain
11-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm showing my ignorance as I don't know what FMK is, but even with out knowing what it means, I pick Daggers, easy choice. :rose:

I'd give you a big 'ol hug for picking me, but I want to know what FMK is first. :lol:

Nerak
11-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I would ask her why does she tolerate all of the fighting that takes place daily in this world.

You are such a wonderful man!! :couple:

Randall Flagg
11-04-2008, 01:59 PM
F=Fuc*Fuck
M=Marry
K=Kill

It is a question designed to make the person choose which individual they would Marry, which they would simply Have sex with, and which person they would "eliminate" Kill.
3 Choices. That easy:)

It is of course meant to be in fun, and there are no wrong answers-but I still want to know:

Daghain
11-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not kill. :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
11-04-2008, 02:43 PM
wiz those images are breathtaking. will you adopt me? and maybe, ummmm, put me in your will?

:: bats eyes :: < ------- i learned that from odetta and bethany!!!!!!!

Randall Flagg
11-04-2008, 05:23 PM
wiz those images are breathtaking. will you adopt me? and maybe, ummmm, put me in your will?

Hey, no cuts in line. Long ago I placed dibs on Wiz's stuff. :wtf:
You'll have to wait till I die.:P

batsker
11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey David, thanks for letting us in on some private info.

Easy. Lord of the Rings (technically more than 1 book), The Dark Tower (same) and The Great Escape (Great 1960s movie and even better book) about a WWII POW escape from a German concentration camp.

Interesting answer. You listed two of my favorite books(series) and one of my top 3 movies(haven't read the book though).

I can't think of any new questions. After reading this I feel like I know you now. I am looking forward to meeting you sometime in the future, maybe at the next gathering!

'til then,
Steve

The Lady of Shadows
11-04-2008, 06:28 PM

:: bats eyes ::

will you put me in your will?

Nerak
11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Back off, all of you! David is leaving everything to me. So is my Daddy (aka Carlos/Bob) he he

MINEMINEMINEMINEMINEMINEMINEMINEMINEMINEMINEMINEMI NEMINEMINEMINEMINE

Nerak
11-04-2008, 06:37 PM
David, Me again.

Does your wife work? If so, what does she do for work?

What do your children want to be when they grow up?

Is your daughter a daddy's girl?

Do you have any pets?

Randall Flagg
11-04-2008, 07:22 PM

will you put me in your will?

Back off, all of you! David is leaving everything to me. So is my Daddy (aka Carlos/Bob) he he

Wow. Lots of attention for David. I think I am out sexed and out numbered:cry:

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 12:20 AM
F=Fuc*Fuck
M=Marry
K=Kill

It is a question designed to make the person choose which individual they would Marry, which they would simply Have sex with, and which person they would "eliminate" Kill.

It is of course meant to be in fun, and there are no wrong answers-but I still want to know:

Ah, now I get it.

Still an easy choice:

K = Palin
M = Daggers (though I bet she's a good...)
F = Sandra

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not kill. :lol:

Daggs-
Yeah, girl, you are safe there. Only one on that list fits that category. She's a MIGHTY scary woman.

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 12:23 AM

:: bats eyes :: < ------- i learned that from odetta and bethany!!!!!!!

<Wiz swoons at sight of beautiful maiden>

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 12:26 AM

And then to lovely wife Delores, then Jerome's kids....wow, that's gonna be a long wait for someone.

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey David, thanks for letting us in on some private info.

Interesting answer. You listed two of my favorite books(series) and one of my top 3 movies(haven't read the book though).

I can't think of any new questions. After reading this I feel like I know you now. I am looking forward to meeting you sometime in the future, maybe at the next gathering!

'til then,
Steve

Steve-
So glad we share some of the same interests. I too hope to meet you in the future and let's hope it's NOT in the clearing at the end of the path!

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 12:32 AM

I thought you wanted me for something else. :borg: Ohhhh, it's the books and artwork you are ultimately after.

BTW, I'm posting here just for those who don't believe at get up at 3 am to go to work. HA! Now, I REALLY do have to go jump in the shower and get ready.

Last note: I AM SO SO SO PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS OF LAST NIGHT'S ELECTION!

Nerak
11-05-2008, 12:40 AM
I am happy happy about the election results too! And I do want you for something else but can't compete with 19 years of marriage :huglove:

And I am awake cause Josiah doesn't want to sleep anymore! ugh

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 03:22 AM

You are such a wonderful man!! :couple:

My irrefutable evidence that God (if there is even such a being) is a WOMAN is that with all the extraordinary beauty and immense human suffering in this world...this can only have been created by a woman. Men are generally too shallow, emotionally bankrupt to feel this deeply......And, if God was a man, all men would be walking around with 2 foot things hanging between their legs. God has to be a WOMAN because to most women variety is the spice of life.

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 03:34 AM
David, Me again.

Do you have any pets?

David, Me again.
Hiya Karen!

Yes she does. She works 3 jobs. (1) full-time mother to our 3 children. Let ANYONE argue that is NOT a job, I dare them. (2) She works 1 day a week at a local feminist vegetarian restaurant called Bloodroot (mmmm yummy food). She takes people's orders and money and also helps clean the place up. (3) Valerie and her business partner have a womens' spirituality group called Withinsight, where they organize events for women. Check out their website at http://www.womenwithinsight.com/events.html

Rich. Really, they have no clue, I've asked them.

Absolutely 100%!

Do you have any pets?
Yes, two cats (brother and sister) Arwen and Isis. I have has cats my whole life and adore them. It's dogs I can't stand, all slobbery and smelly Yech.

turtlex
11-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Couple more, Wiz. :)

You said you go cycling weekly, what kind of bike do you ride?

What would be your dream bicycle?

What made you decide to become a vegitarian? Is it hard to keep it up, especially when you travel? How do the kids like it? Do you think they'll remain vegitarians once they "leave the nest"?

When was the last time you ate a hamburger?

Thanks! http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/V_mask_50.gif
( little V head inserted because it's Nov 5 )

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 04:45 AM

What made you decide to become a vegitarian? Is it hard to keep it up, especially when you travel? How do the kids like it? Do you think they'll remain vegitarians once they "leave the nest"?

Thanks! http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/V_mask_50.gif
( little V head inserted because it's Nov 5 )

Good morning fellow early riser

It's a Fuji, 26 inch I believe. Can't tell you the model number. I just got it about a month ago.

I guess the one I have. I am not "into" biking. I just enjoy the ride, and my new bike provides me the relaxation and pleasure that I was looking for.

I followed my wife's lead maybe 15 years ago. We both were meat and potatoes people growing up and into early adulthood. My wife has always been more critical about what she consumes and is a voracious reader across a broad spectrum of subjects. The more she read about growth hormones, chemical additives etc., and add to that all the new illnesses and diseases that have cropped up in the last 50 years, she decided to go veggie (dairy is ok) and choosing organic when possible. I followed within a year's time and do not really miss it. We belong now for almost 15 years to a food co-op with maybe 20 other families. We order our food/produce/personal care items on a monthly basis (splitting cases of stuff with other families) so our food bill is more reasonable than paying the high prices that places like Whole Foods charges. It works just fine for us. So we did it, Pam, for health reasons, not really for ethical reasons. My children have never known anything except vegetarian. I am sure they will try meat or fish either before or after they leave the nest. The choice is entirely theirs as to what path they want to pursue.

As for business travel, while my wife does not travel on business and is inflexible when it comes to being a strict vegetarian, I have, at times, consumed fish and rarely meat in my travels. Sometimes you go out with clients and they have organized a fixed menu. Well, I try to go with the flow rather than make then uncomfortable by asking for something special. And about once a year, I get a craving for New England clam chowder when I am in Maine. So at least a couple times a year, I fall off the wagon.

Probably about 5 years ago, I succumbed to temptation and bought a Big Mac. It was good I must say.

turtlex
11-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Thank you for the responses, David. :couple:
And your wife's work looks very interesting ( I have been exploring the website some ).

Since I cannot even imagine being in Maine without having some clam chowdah, I'm sure you're forgiven there! However, you bypass the lobster?!?

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/V_mask_50.gif
( Inserting little V head because it's Nov 5th )

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 05:42 AM
I have been known to consume a lobster roll. :ninja:

Brice
11-05-2008, 07:50 AM
When did you last fall off the wagon. What did you have?

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 07:57 AM
When did you last fall off the wagon. What did you have?

I had some clam chowder in Vermont this summer.

Daghain
11-05-2008, 09:45 AM
F=Fuc*Fuck
M=Marry
K=Kill

Ah, now I get it.

Still an easy choice:

K = Palin
M = Daggers (though I bet she's a good...)
F = Sandra

Well, you still get that big 'ol hug. :huglove:

Not only that, you marry me and your collection is mine! Muahahahahahaha. :lol:

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Where there's a will there's a way Dags! :wtf:

alinda
11-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I just want to say thanks for your kindness , and tell you what a fine man you are!:D

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I just want to say thanks for your kindness , and tell you what a fine man you are!:D

:blush: thanks alinda. That means a lot coming from you.

You know, you and I are like the King and Queen of the staff given our ages. :couple:

Daghain
11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Dude, you're not THAT much older than I am. :lol:

alinda
11-05-2008, 10:58 AM

:blush: thanks alinda. That means a lot coming from you.

You know, you and I are like the King and Queen of the staff given our ages. :couple:

:couple: uh, thanks agian....I think ;)

The Lady of Shadows
11-05-2008, 12:17 PM
seriously wiz, you're not that much older than me! :wtf: how old do you think you are? unless you graduated high school in your 20s or something? :unsure:

you didn't did you?

alinda
11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
:wtf:

Nerak
11-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I get to see you tomorrow!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You can't get the tickets until 6. I will save you a spot in line. As we are leaving here early so in case we get lost we have time to find the place! LOL

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 01:01 PM
seriously wiz, you're not that much older than me! :wtf: how old do you think you are? unless you graduated high school in your 20s or something? :unsure:

you didn't did you?

No, I'm 49, but on this site that's "gettin' up there."

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I get to see you tomorrow!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You can't get the tickets until 6. I will save you a spot in line. As we are leaving here early so in case we get lost we have time to find the place! LOL

Karen-

Can't wait to see you too. It's been a long time since June!

The Lady of Shadows
11-05-2008, 01:02 PM

you didn't did you?

No, I'm 49, but on this site that's "gettin' up there."

according to whom? data, statistics, show your work please? citations?

:lol:

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Just a note to you all. I am out of the office tomorrow and will not be around a computer pretty much all day (at night I will be at the King signing in Massachusetts). I'll be back on Friday, but feel free to continue with questions...There will just be a small delay in my getting the answers to you. Thanks.

alinda
11-05-2008, 01:59 PM
That's fine, we all hope you have a wonderful time. Of course you will, your seeing Sai King! We'll be here thinking of things to ask.....:P

Nerak
11-05-2008, 05:37 PM
That's fine, we all hope you have a wonderful time. Of course you will, your seeing Sai King! We'll be here thinking of things to ask.....:P

and me and me and me!!

And it has been a long time since June!

Sir_Boomme
11-05-2008, 09:14 PM
David,
Ego animadverto , vos quoque noscere Latinus. Ille ostendus vos es valde sapiens vir,
idem eadem idem ut mihi.

Sententia, ut vos animadverto, meus scientia est aliquanto puter.

The Lady of Shadows
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
HEY! no fair buttering him up in latin! :lol:

and your grammar isn't that rotten. . .my tranlation is probably worse. :D

Nerak
11-06-2008, 05:00 AM
This is what the translator comes up with...

I notice , you also to become acquainted with Latinus. He show you are intensely wise man , the same when me. Sentiment , when you notice , my knowledge is somewhat rotten.

turtlex
11-06-2008, 05:01 AM

I notice , you also to become acquainted with Latinus. He show you are intensely wise man , the same when me. Sentiment , when you notice , my knowledge is somewhat rotten.

Is your translator Yoda?

Nerak
11-06-2008, 06:10 AM
No, I googled a Latin to English translator! LOL

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-06-2008, 06:32 AM
No, I googled a Latin to English translator! LOL

Shows they are a waste of time. (Unless you are Yoda) :)

Daghain
11-06-2008, 08:28 AM
LOL!

Randall Flagg
11-06-2008, 09:59 AM
David,

Do you have your High School senior picture? If so please post it.

Wedding photo?

What dish/food do you make that you consider your specialty?

Subsequent to you losing your virginity, what is the longest you have abstained from sex?

Sir_Boomme
11-06-2008, 10:52 PM

close to what i tried to say...which was:
"I see, you also studied latin. That shows you are (a) very wise man, the same as me.
As you see, my knowledge is somewhat decayed."

the word sententia(sentiment) was a typo left over from something else i had written but deleted.

alas... it's been 33 years since i won the Latin scholar award 2 years in a row in high school.... but i've used it very little since, thus i'm way to rusty at it. it was very helpful in college chemistry and zoology classes... and gives me some help in deciphering written spanish (though spoken spanish unfortunately still sounds like gibberish to me )

note: we translated the entire text of Homer's Illiad in my second year of Latin... an epic poem i still love to this day.

quis super vos, david? still remember any of those hic haec hoc words?

Nerak
11-06-2008, 11:35 PM
well, Yoda was close :lol:

turtlex
11-07-2008, 05:46 AM
David - Waiting on your impressions from the reading..... We missed you yesterday.

wizardsrainbow
11-07-2008, 07:34 AM
David - Waiting on your impressions from the reading..... We missed you yesterday.

Hi everyone. Sorry, I am absolutely swamped at the office today catching up on everthing I missed yesterday and various company reports this morning.

Had a really great time at the reading. The drive up was nasty with rush hour traffic and several spots of torrential rainfall.

My son and I arrived before Karen and her husband so we saved two seats inside for them. They arrived maybe 40 minutes before the start of the interview program at 7pm.

The program started off very slow and it was hot in the auditorium. The organizers did an Academy Award - type speach thanking 40 different people for their hard work....getting it all put together. Then the two authors (King and Russo) came out onto the stage with the moderator. I thought the moderator was a bit of a dope, and the discussion started off a bit slow...plus the sound system for the authors' microphones was pretty horrible (whining, feedback, volume). But the discussion gathered steam and it turned out to be fairly lively with some humorous parts. The last question put to the authors was by far the best (it came from a pre-submitted pool by the audience). Question was: What is your favorite curse word?

Well, Stephen gave a longish, comedic answer that I liken to a George Carlin routine, citing such phrases as "shit or go blind" and "I don't give a tin shit" and what the hell do those things REALLY mean? It was pretty funny and generated lots of laughs. Russo's story centered on the (I can't put it in here) C*#t word and how men vs. women use that word.

Overall, I gave the interview/discussion a 5 out of 10. Worthwhile but hardly riveting.

Afterward, they organized the book signing. Each ticket had a number from 100-500+. They put two long tables on stage, King at one, Russo at the other and called groups of numbers. 100-150 to start, and so on. Upon entering the auditorium, you received your 1st edition Just After Sunset (if you had purchased the $50 or $125 ticket that got you a place in the signing line). So when you number group was called you filed up onto stage. A handler took your ticket (which Karen stole back for us later), you handed your book to another handler sitting next to King who opened it up to the title page and then slid it over to him to sign. He looked up at me ever so briefly before he signed my book, then started to sign. As he signed I told him that Michael Whelan sent his regards (which he does), but that usually makes him pause and gives me an opportunity to pass a couple words with King, but this time no. He grunted something inaudible, finished signing and began to look up at the next person. I then said to King, here is a little gift from your fand at thedarktower.org and slid two rubber wrist bands in front of him that Daggers brought to Vegas. One was black and said "Hile Gunslinger" and the other was red and said "All hail the Crimson King." Both also said www.thedarktower.org. He didn't even look directly at them, but slid them to his side out of the way. So, I have no idea if he looked at them later, threw them away or what, but I did try to give a plug to us here on the site.

We saw some other people from the site (Sam Catoe was one, I'm sorry, I do not remember the names of the others. My bad) and a few SKEMERs (CJ, the most prominent) and taked to them for a bit. MY son and I were on the road by 9:30 and home at 11pm.

That's my story.

Matt
11-07-2008, 07:40 AM
:excited:

That sounds really great! I can't imagine seeing him as many times as you have David, my once is like the sun and moon to me.

VERY cool on the bracelets. :clap:

Daghain
11-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Dude, if I ever see them on his wrists in a picture somewhere I'll faint. :lol:

wizardsrainbow
11-07-2008, 10:49 AM
David,
Ego animadverto , vos quoque noscere Latinus. Ille ostendus vos es valde sapiens vir,
idem eadem idem ut mihi.

Sententia, ut vos animadverto, meus scientia est aliquanto puter.

Uhhhhmmmmmm. Saved by the translator service. I wouldn't have had a clue on my own.

wizardsrainbow
11-07-2008, 11:04 AM
David,

Wedding photo?

Subsequent to you losing your virginity, what is the longest you have abstained from sex?

Not digitally. Sorry

Wedding photo?
CRAP! Striking out here

They are called Greek Potatoes. I should post the full recipe here but suffice it to say, it is cubed potatoes with olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, garlic and oregano, baked at 475 degrees for an hour and 40 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes. Top with crumbled feta cheese upon serving.

Between 1-2 months I would guess

wizardsrainbow
11-07-2008, 11:09 AM

close to what i tried to say...which was:
"I see, you also studied latin. That shows you are (a) very wise man, the same as me.
As you see, my knowledge is somewhat decayed."

the word sententia(sentiment) was a typo left over from something else i had written but deleted.

alas... it's been 33 years since i won the Latin scholar award 2 years in a row in high school.... but i've used it very little since, thus i'm way to rusty at it. it was very helpful in college chemistry and zoology classes... and gives me some help in deciphering written spanish (though spoken spanish unfortunately still sounds like gibberish to me )

note: we translated the entire text of Homer's Illiad in my second year of Latin... an epic poem i still love to this day.

quis super vos, david? still remember any of those hic haec hoc words?

No, only veni vidi vici. I came I saw I conquered

wizardsrainbow
11-10-2008, 04:36 AM
Thanks everyone that asked questions during my "official" week in the Spotlight. I had a blast doing it.

Feel free to ask anything else that tickes your fancy.

Letti
11-10-2008, 01:35 PM
You are a walking present.
Let me ask you some questions I have just sent to Linda.

Would you like to have more children?

How did you find your way to the series? (I am really sorry if it has been asked before I didn't find it.)

Are you afraid of anything unusual? For example... umbrellas or pink boots?

What's your favourite smell?

Are there other worlds than these?

If you could be an animal for only 24 hours what type of animal would you be and why?

If you could vanish one thing (object, person, phenomenon) from the surface of Earth what would it be?

Is it easy for you to talk about yourself?

Are you good at keeping secrets?

Nerak
11-10-2008, 06:32 PM
those are some cool questions...awaits David's answers.......

wizardsrainbow
11-12-2008, 10:27 AM
You are a walking present.
Let me ask you some questions I have just sent to Linda.

How did you find your way to the series? (I am really sorry if it has been asked before I didn't find it.)

If you could be an animal for only 24 hours what type of animal would you be and why?

If you could vanish one thing (object, person, phenomenon) from the surface of Earth what would it be?

Letti-

Great questions!

No more for me please. I went under the knife about 5 years ago, so if my wife wants more children, sh will have to hook up with another man!

I read a review somewhere about the Gunslinger. It was touted as a big departure from King's other works and speculation was that it wouldn't catch on, because it was a "Western." I thought I would give it a try and I was hooked after the first sentence.

Hmmm. Not so unusual I guess but I am afraid of large dogs. My own damned fault though. As a child, I teased a Saint Bernard and it jumped on me, knocked me down and bit my arm through a winter coat. I now fear big dogs.

The smell of fresh basil (an herb)

I think yes, definitely.

I think a cat. They are extremely powerful and agile for their size, can see in the dark, are nearly silent when they move and are graceful animals. I love cats.

Pollution. I am convinced that pollution is behind more deaths, illness, diseases than scientists are really aware of.

Yes, in certain situations like this Spotlight threat. Otherwise, I am typically a fairly quiet individual.

For the most part, yes. I slip up once in awhile, but generally I am quite good at keeping them.

Thank you so much for the questions Letti, and Karen, I hope the answers meet with your approval!

Nerak
11-12-2008, 01:20 PM
The answers were just as good as the questions! :huglove:

fernandito
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Not including Paul Newman movies - which 3 movies could you watch over and over without getting tired of them?

The Lady of Shadows
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
if you knew you had a terminal illness, would you tell your friends and family as soon as you found out or wait until just before you were going to die?

Darkthoughts
11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
I am so making those Greek Potatoes tomorrow, they sound lush!

wizardsrainbow
11-13-2008, 03:31 AM
The answers were just as good as the questions! :huglove:

awwwww :huglove:

wizardsrainbow
11-13-2008, 03:32 AM
Not including Paul Newman movies - which 3 movies could you watch over and over without getting tired of them?

Pretty easy:

The Great Escape
Lord of the Rings
Repo Man (Cult classic. You should check it out Feev, it's hilarious in spots, bizarre in others)

wizardsrainbow
11-13-2008, 03:42 AM
if you knew you had a terminal illness, would you tell your friends and family as soon as you found out or wait until just before you were going to die?

Turtlesong-

A year ago this question would have totally stumped me and I would have agonized over the answer, but events have given me clarity. Here is my story (briefly):

In 1989, 7 months before my wedding day, my father was diagnosed with colon cancer and passed away within a couple of weeks. I was in shock and had virtually no time to spend with him.

In September 2007, my father-in-law was diagnosed with leukemia and given maybe two months to live. However, he struggled on for 6 months, and we had the opportunity to be with him a few times in Chicago (my wife at least one week out of every month). It was hard to see him slip, but I loved having the time with him and other family members.

So, I would myself choose to tell people early and make the most of the time I had left with the ones that I love. In the end, of all my family members, I was the only one who got a moment of "clarity" from my father in the end. I am grateful for that.

wizardsrainbow
11-13-2008, 03:45 AM
I am so making those Greek Potatoes tomorrow, they sound lush!

They are wonderful <yummy> and I hope they turn out ok. If not, I will send you the complete recipe. I make them in a glass 9x11 dish, and I can get at least 5 pounds of taters in there. At this point, I just add ingediants from memory. I am liberal with the oregano, garlic and lemon juice.

Darkthoughts
11-13-2008, 06:24 AM
I have the very dish! I tend to measure in terms of "a handful of herbs" "a good slug of olive oil" so it may turn out just right :lol: