3 DOORS DOWN
10-31-2008, 01:39 PM
I've heard mixed reactions on the new cd death magnetic.For me its thier
best offering since the black album,i've listened to nothing else for the past
2 weeks.
Well worth the wait.

Brice
11-01-2008, 05:28 AM
Well, they certainly couldn't do worse than St. Anger. Nor could a group of five year olds. That was abysmal. I actually like the new one. It reminds me of their older stuff alot....you know back when they were good. :lol:

Dave!
11-01-2008, 05:38 AM
:doh: I agree with the St. Anger. I bought the CD, thinking that all the songs just might rock like St. Anger did. I loved the video and the song. Bought the CD. Pretty much poop in a jar other than that one song. Black was a great one. Came out at just the right time in my youth. (Playing it right now actually! you guys inspired me! haha!) Haven't heard any of the new one yet. Might have to go check that out soon. Especially if it sounds more like the older stuff.

Brice
11-01-2008, 05:45 AM
You should. I've been listening to Metallica pretty much since they started. When St. Anger came out I was nearly nauseous. I think I gave away my copy. I think who ever recieved it for free probably hates me now for giving it to them. I can't say I blame them. :lol: I SOoo wanted to send James a fifth with my copy of the CD and a note telling him that clearly he should reconsider the whole sobriety thing. :evil: :rofl:

The new one is definitely worth a listen. I like it quite a bit. It's nothing groundbreaking or anything, but it's a solid Metallica record.

Dave!
11-01-2008, 05:52 AM
I know the feeling. I thought seriously of sitting my copy out at 1000 yards and using the .50 cal to see if it sounded better shattering into a million pieces. Probably would have.
How would you say the new songs rate against "One" (prolly the best song they made, in my opinion)?

Brice
11-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Well, that ain't my favorite song (though I like it a hell of alot), but that's a comparison I wouldn't want to make. As much as I like Newsted. Metallica with Burton was at their best in my opinion. If you ask me to compare it all I can tell you really is when you first hear it you know it's Metallica.

When I first heard it I could have shot the band with that .50 cal of yours. They were a much younger me's favorite band. My heart broke a little when I heard that album :cry: ...and I was so excited when I first got it because I knew thought wrongly they could do no wrong.

Ruthful
11-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't see why so many people were pissed off when St. Anger was released. Granted, I'm not a Metallica fan-at least, in the sense that I go out and purchase their albums-so I probably have a much different perspective than the rest of you, but from the five or six tracks I listened to at the time, that was a pretty good CD. Plus, it coincided with a brilliant documentary.

Brice
11-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I think it's because compared to every other Metallica album it was quite bad, IMO. It was nowhere near on a level with what they'd already done. For me at least the documentary was by far superior to the album it accompanied. I hated it (minus one track) before I even knew other people did.

Ruthful
11-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah, but most albums suck.

TMBG is one of my favorite bands, and I think Lincoln and their second album-I forget the name-are the only two that I would consider 'great,' which I define as a record where more than half of the tracks are worth listening to. Any record where half, or more, of the songs are listenable is a good one, IMO. Splinter is a horrible album, i.e. one where three or less songs are worth listening to.

This is why the record industry would have died out even if a plausible way to stop illegal downloading existed, because no one is going to waste 15-20 bucks buying an entire album when he or she could just buy the one or two songs they want to listen to on iTunes.

Brice
11-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, but most albums suck.

TMBG is one of my favorite bands, and I think Lincoln and their second album-I forget the name-are the only two that I would consider 'great,' which I define as a record where more than half of the tracks are worth listening to. Any record where half, or more, of the songs are listenable is a good one, IMO. Splinter is a horrible album, i.e. one where three or less songs are worth listening to.

This is why the record industry would have died out even if a plausible way to stop illegal downloading existed, because no one is going to waste 15-20 bucks buying an entire album when he or she could just buy the one or two songs they want to listen to on iTunes.

TMBG is also one of my favorite bands. :D ...but wasn't Lincoln their second album? It's certainly my favorite, but I enjoy most of what they did at least early on. IMO, Lincoln was their greatest.

The problem is when your idea of what's great is applied to Metallica (for me at least) probably about 90% of their output qualifies prior to that album. Whereas that album for me was mostly unlistenable.

Dave!
11-02-2008, 05:12 AM
Ahh yes. Heard one of the new songs last night at a pool hall. It rocked, the drums were great, ect. Couldn't tell you the name of the song at all, but it was good, and like the old stuff. Kudos there in your Briceoushness, sir!

*ALL opinion from here on out*

And I agree very much that if you get a majority of the tracks on a release that are good, then you have a rarity. I have found a few over the years, Lincoln Park is one band that consistently does pretty well with that. Alice in Chains was another. 3 doors Down, Counting Crows, Godsmack, the list goes on, in my opinion.
I have had CD's where there was one or two songs that were great, but the rest just kinda left me wondering "OK, at some point these guys heard this and thought 'yep, that's good enough now. let's put it on the CD.' And a producer agreed." How the hell someone didn't stand up and let them know that it was garbage, I don't know.

No offense to anyone who disagrees here, but Coldplay is an example. I absolutely love some of their songs. The good ones have an excellent talent and sometimes I can't get over how good they are. Got all of their CD's. Pretty much the songs on the radio rotations aer the good ones. The rest are just too far out there, or the vocals just plain bite, to me. Blind Melon is another (with all due respect to the late Mr. Hoon). Loved the release with the Bee girl on the front. "Tones of home" was a great song that gave me chills every time I heard it. Love the entire CD. Then I got "SOUP" when it came out and was like "WTF?". It blowed!
Anyways, got a lil off topic there. Sorry. But yeah, gonna check out that new Metallica. It shows promise.

Ruthful
11-02-2008, 08:28 AM
TMBG is also one of my favorite bands. :D ...but wasn't Lincoln their second album? It's certainly my favorite, but I enjoy most of what they did at least early on. IMO, Lincoln was their greatest.

You're probably right. I listened to it as part of a compilation disc-which had sixty or so songs, incuding a bunch from Dial-a-Song-so I could be wrong.

I bought every one of their albums up to Mink Car-and I bought their first children's CD for my nephew-but haven't kept up with their stuff the past few years.

Dave!
11-02-2008, 10:20 AM
OK I'm gonna go ahead and feel stupid here and show a weakness in my musical knowledge. Who is TMBG? :unsure: I hate not knowing a band. I could be missing out on musical genius here and never would have known...

Brice
11-02-2008, 02:37 PM
They Might Be Giants

Some of their stuff is positively genius...though they are very quirky and silly. They may or may not suit your tastes. I think they're one of those bands which you either love or hate. There isn't a middle ground.

And Ruthful: Yeah, Lincoln was their second after their self titled. I used to have that compilation you're talking about. I haven't kept up with most of what they've done since John Henry myself.

Dave!
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
quirky and silly like Cake? Or Primus? I absolutely love Cake, so if it's along those lines then I'll definately give it a listen.

Spencer
11-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I bought the CD, thinking that all the songs just might rock like St. Anger did. I loved the video and the song. Bought the CD. Pretty much poop in a jar other than that one song.

I totally agree, but I'd put "Frantic" in place of "St. Anger". Yelling "flush it out" over and over is more indicative of an old person cleansing their colon than anything that "rocks", unless maybe you're speaking of kidney stones. :lol:

Spencer
11-02-2008, 04:36 PM
They Might Be Giants

Some of their stuff is positively genius...

The sun is a mass
of incandescent gas
a gigantic nuclear furnace
where hydrogen is built into helium
at temperatures of millions of degrees

and how can we forget......

You're older than you've ever been
and now you're even older,

and now you're older still!

Ruthful
11-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Blind Melon is another (with all due respect to the late Mr. Hoon). Loved the release with the Bee girl on the front. "Tones of home" was a great song that gave me chills every time I heard it. Love the entire CD. Then I got "SOUP" when it came out and was like "WTF?". It blowed!
Anyways, got a lil off topic there. Sorry. But yeah, gonna check out that new Metallica. It shows promise.

Blind Melon is horrific.

I listened to a video of their cover of "Luka" that made me want to projectile vomit.

I have no idea why Suzanne Vega wouldn't come after them and commit multiple homocide after she heard that.

Brice
11-03-2008, 05:47 AM
quirky and silly like Cake? Or Primus? I absolutely love Cake, so if it's along those lines then I'll definately give it a listen.

No, quirky and silly like noone you've probably ever heard before. IMO, they are almost they're own genre. And very smart too.

They Might Be Giants

Some of their stuff is positively genius...

The sun is a mass
of incandescent gas
a gigantic nuclear furnace
where hydrogen is built into helium
at temperatures of millions of degrees

and how can we forget......

and now you're older still!

:D

Once a boy named Mister Me bemoaned a great regret
I've floundered in the misty sea, but can't abide its mystery
I wound up sad, you bet

So onward go and Edward Ho into the bounding main
Enjoy the show look out below but mind the misty sea
Or end up sad like Mister Me

He ended up sad
He ended up sad
He ended up really, really, really sad
He ended up sad
He ended up sad

So take the hand of Mister Me and mister, make him glad
To swim the Mister Misty Sea and cease the Mister Mystery
That mister, made him sad

He ended up sad
He ended up sad
He ended up sad
He ended up sad

He ended up sad
He ended up sad
He ended up sad
He ended up sad

...and...

When I was only a zygote
I still remember the time
When there was nothing to know or to think about
Except the sound of my mind
And the sound from outside

SenSurround
Down at the bottom
Sensible to ear and sternum
And the world first spoke to me in SenSurround

If mom had known she was expecting
She might have gone to see Jaws
Instead of picking a film where the sound effects
Came right up through the floor
And I'd be differently formed

SenSurround
Down at the bottom
And the world first spoke to me in SenSurround.

Accidently in a coal mine it was found
When they accidently dug too far down
And found the SenSurround

I still don't know who conceived it
Or where they got the idea,
But there it was in the aisle by the exit sign
A woofer covered in wood
to shake the room when it should

SenSurround
Down at the bottom
Made the fakeness realistic
When the action went ballistic
One degree shy of sadistic

If I could swim under the water
without having to breathe
If I could follow the trail to the ocean floor
I think I'd know what there'd be
Down there waiting for me

SenSurround
Down at the bottom
Made the fakeness realistic
When the action went ballistic
One degree shy of sadistic

...and...

Love sees love's happiness
But happiness can't see that love is sad
That love is sad
Sadness is hanging there
To show love somewhere something needs a change
They need a change

They'll need a crane, they'll need a crane
To take the house he built for her apart
To make it break it's gonna take a metal ball hung from a chain
To pick the broken ruins up again
To mend her heart, to help him start to see a world apart from pain

Lad's gal is all he has
Gal's gladness hangs upon the love of lad
The love of lad
Some things gal says to lad aren't meant as bad
But cause a little pain
They cause him pain

Don't call me at work again no no the boss still hates me
I'm just tired and I don't love you anymore
And there's a restaurant we should check out where
The other nightmare people like to go
I mean nice people, baby wait,
I didn't mean to say nightmare

Lad looks at other gals
Gal thinks Jim Beam is handsomer than lad
He isn't bad
Call off the wedding band
Nobody wants to hear that one again
Play that again

They'll need a crane

...and...

Don't don't don't let's start
This is the worst part
Could believe for all the world
That you're my precious little girl
But don't don't don't let's start
I've got a weak heart
And I don't get around how you get around

When you are alone you are the cat, you are the phone
You are an animal
The words I'm singing now
Mean nothing more than meow to an animal
Wake up and smell the cat food in your bank account
But don't try to stop the tail that wags the hound

D, world destruction
Over and overture
N, do I need
Apostrophe T, need this torture?

This is the worst part
I've got a weak heart

No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful
Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful
They want what they're not and I wish they would stop saying,
Deputy dog dog a ding dang depadepa
Deputy dog dog a ding dang depadepa

D, world destruction
Over and overture
N, do I need
Apostrophe T, need this torture?

This is the worst part
I've got a weak heart

I don't want to live in this world anymore
I don't want to live in this world

This is the worst part
I've got a weak heart

I could go on for a long time. However we should probably stop we are WAY off topic. :lol:

fernandito
11-03-2008, 05:48 AM
I am dying to live
CRY OUT
I'm trapped under iceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Spencer
11-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Mysteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerious whisper!

Brice
11-03-2008, 05:55 AM
Late at night all systems go
You have come to see the show
We do our best You're the rest
You make it real you know
There is a feeling deep inside
That drives you fuckin' mad
A feeling of a hammerhead
You need it oh so bad

Adrenaline starts to flow
You're thrashing all around
Acting like a maniac
Whiplash

Bang your head against the stage
Like you never did before
Make it ring Make it bleed
Make it really sore
In a frenzied madness
with your leather and your spikes
Heads are bobbing all around
It is hot as hell tonight

Acting like a maniac
Whiplash

Here on the stage the Marshal noise
is piercing through your ears
It kicks your ass kick your face
Exploding feeling nears
Now is the time to let it rip
To let it fuckin' loose
We are gathered here to im and kill
Cause this is what we choose

Acting like a maniac
Whiplash

The show is through the metal is gone
It is time to hit the road
Another town Another gig
Again we will explode
Hotel rooms and motorways
Life out here is raw
But we will never stop
We will never quit
cause we are Metallica

Acting like a maniac

Frunobulax
11-03-2008, 03:28 PM
TMBG=fucking awesome. I've kept abreast of their career for a short while now, and love it all. As for Metallica, everything after the Black Album stinks as far as I'm concerned. It all sounds the same, and Lars Ulrich's brutally mediocre drumming (and thousands of edited takes called a drum track) isn't helping.

Jon
11-09-2008, 12:04 AM
-Fear of living on
Natives getting restless now
Mutiny in the air
Got some death to do-

Master is my second favorite album!

Garage Days is my third and...

RIDE THE LIGHTNING is my #1 song and album!!!

-Flash before my eyes
Now it's time to die
Burning in my brain
I can feel the flame-

Jon
11-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Did I mention ESCAPE!!!

-See them try to bring the hammer down
No damn chains can hold me to the ground-

and from Master...

-Hybrid children watch the sea
Pray for Father, roaming free-

from Garage days

-Do not take for granted,
Powers out there,
Don't step into the demon's lair.-

EdwardDean1999
02-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Death Magnetic is there best since Puppets. Also the most technically/musically interesting they've ever done. Odd time signatures awawawawawgh :drool: I will always love MetallicA. Even the shit fests of Bob Rock!

Frunobulax
03-05-2009, 08:45 PM
EdwardDean1999, I'm going to sound like a rude asshole but shut the fuck up please. Death Magnetic is a failed abortion. Each song is a total wankfest, Lars Ulrich still can't drum for the life of himself, the lyrics are inane, Hetfield is Auto-Tuned into fucked oblivion, and the overall album is a sonic assault in a bad way.

MetGrl57
03-06-2009, 11:28 PM
That was a little harsh man. You don't have to tell him to shut the fuck up because he liked the album and you didn't. Though you're entitled to your own opinion and I can respect that.

By my name I'm sure you can tell that I like Metallica. I personally thought Death Magnetic was a huge step up from St. Anger. I don't even think I've listen to those songs in months and months. The DM songs blend really well with the older stuff, as was illustrated when I saw them in live in December :)

Brice
03-07-2009, 06:25 AM
That was a little harsh man. You don't have to tell him to shut the fuck up because he liked the album and you didn't. Though you're entitled to your own opinion and I can respect that.

By my name I'm sure you can tell that I like Metallica. I personally thought Death Magnetic was a huge step up from St. Anger. I don't even think I've listen to those songs in months and months. The DM songs blend really well with the older stuff, as was illustrated when I saw them in live in December :)

Could they have really done worse then St. Anger if they tried? :lol:

jayson
03-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Could they have really done worse then St. Anger if they tried? :lol:

Well, if they are using Auto-Tune on Hetfield's vocals, the answer is yes. To me, Auto-Tune is the musical equivalent of athletes on steroids. It's just flat-out cheating. If you can't hit the fucking note, don't sing the fucking song. I don't care one way or another if people like Britney or Miley Cyrus use it. Most people know they're frauds anyway, but when people like Metallica that put themselves over as "real musicians" use it, that's a bunch of bullshit. It's a half-step above being Milli Vanilli.

MetGrl57
03-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Could they have really done worse then St. Anger if they tried? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Highly doubt it!! I love them, but that album was literally painful to listen to :lol:

I don't really know much about this whole autotune thing, but James sounded great to me in concert as well so I dunno.

Brice
03-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Yes, I have no idea what auto tone is, but they he sounded great when I saw them too.

St. Anger made me want to send James a fifth and a note telling him he needed it. :ninja:

jayson
03-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Auto-Tune is a vocal processing effect used in the recording studio which corrects pitch problems in vocal and instrumental performances. In short, if a singer misses a note, Auto-Tune fixes it. In short, it's cheating. If a singer sounds good live, it's even more of a reason to question why he/she would use Auto-Tune in the studio.

Brice
03-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Auto-Tune is a vocal processing effect used in the recording studio which corrects pitch problems in vocal and instrumental performances. In short, if a singer misses a note, Auto-Tune fixes it. In short, it's cheating. If a singer sounds good live, it's even more of a reason to question why he/she would use Auto-Tune in the studio.

Because they can hit the note, but can't be bothered to do so? :lol:

jayson
03-08-2009, 06:36 AM
I know you meant it sarcastically, but I suspect that's an accurate answer in many cases. :D

Brice
03-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Actually, I meant it both sarcastically and as a statement of how it really is. :lol:

MetGrl57
03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
:lol: thats so sad, but true (no pun intended...seriously haha)

But I think in this case the involvement of autotune had more to do with Rick Rubin, the producer if I remember reading my facts correctly. From what I recall he didn't want James to worry about being technically correct so much as creating a certain vibe, or something along those lines. So when mixing they would sometimes pick the one that they simply liked better as opposed to whatever sounded technically the best. Plus James and the drummer Lars weren't there when they mixed it, and they usually are. Maybe that might have something to do with it as well. But I don't know exactly at what point autotune would come into play, so I can't say for sure.

soylentjillian
03-25-2009, 08:24 PM
I absolutely
LOVE
Metallica.

I discovered them when I was thirteen, about 8 years ago.

I really like their new album, it makes up for St. Anger. I really like The Unforgiven III. Then again, James Hetfield has an amazing singing voice.

Favorite CD is probably Load, because although I like the Black album better, I wore it out. Off of Load, "Bleeding Me" and "The Outlaw Torn" really grabbed me. When I was younger and was reading the DT books, probably right when Wolves of the Calla came out, I would sit in my room, reading them over and over, and listening to my stereo. The CD's that I had in the changer were NIN's the Fragile, Metallica's Load, Metallica's Black Album, and Tori Amos' Boys for Pele. Mainly the Fragile and most of the songs off Load make me always think of the Gunslinger, especially The Outlaw Torn.

I also like the earlier thrash stuff, like The Four Horsemen.

Also, the cover that they did of Loverman turns me on.

Brice
03-26-2009, 02:45 AM
*hides away all his old Megaforce vinyl* :ninja:

Jon
03-26-2009, 09:52 PM
St. Anger made me want to send James a fifth and a note telling him he needed it. :ninja:

Fuckin' BRUTAL, man! You're sick...and I LOVE that about you!

Jon
03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Ok...I really haven't posted here and I am ashamed. I am turning over a new leaf...but remember that I am an old man and Metallica is, in my POV, part of the new wave of metal. I recall the DJ on the King Biscuit Flower Hour's show M-m-m-m-metalshop! (que buzz saw sound) introducing this brand new, upstart band, Metallica. Great name I thought...then the DJ played The Small Hours...I was hooked! (yes, DJ not VJ.)

My favorite Metallica song; Ride the Lightning!!!!!!

I just gets my blood boiling...it pounds me into the ground. I feel much like I did in the days when I was taking acid regularly. The song makes me feel as if I could destroy a tank if someone doesn't chain me down!! (No damn chains can hold me to the ground!)

When I was tripping, no one would play football with me...and I am small.

Slash281
04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
METALLICA!!

I've been listening to Metallica since I was nine, now it's my second favorite band, just below Sabbath. On any given day I could have a different favorite album of there's. But it's always between Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice for all. Though it's usually Master. But I HATE HATE HATE! Load, Reload, and St. Anger. Just not Metal. But I liked Death Magnetic, I thought it was better than the Black Album.

flaggwalkstheline
04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
The first album I ever bought was saint anger, I was 13 years old
It changed my life, I hadnt really been into music at all but that album opened my eyes
Despite most metalheads despising that album it holds a special place in my heart, as do the next 2 albums I bought after it: Load and Reload
Of course I also later got ahold of their early masterpieces so I understand the way people feel about them but I bought their catalogue backwards so Im weird like that:P

Jon
05-18-2009, 05:45 AM
I was on the tractor digging up rocks around the property and had my ipod set to Blackend. I was jammin', off in space, and damn near ran the damned tractor into the creek. This is not just a small creek. The banks are about 10 feet high. It would have been bad. Do you think Hetfield would have bought me a new tractor?

Jon
05-18-2009, 05:46 AM
A video with Mustane and Metallica.

YouTube - James Hetfield Reading Axl Rose Rules

Brice
05-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Nice! :thumbsup:

I have this with Mustaine and Metallica:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/Photo128-1.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/Photo129-1.jpg

Dinorawr
05-23-2009, 04:10 PM
That is amazing!! I love Metallica also :D

Odetta
01-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Currently listening to Sanitarium... love this song

beam*seeker
04-19-2011, 06:06 AM
First of all this thread needs to be bumped. Die hard fans may cringe, but I am a Fade to Black girl. Yeah, I know most folks think the Fade to Black was a sell out but that was a solid record. Even though I am pretty sure I had that sh*t on cassette.

Iwritecode
04-20-2011, 05:52 AM
First of all this thread needs to be bumped. Die hard fans may cringe, but I am a Fade to Black girl. Yeah, I know most folks think the Fade to Black was a sell out but that was a solid record. Even though I am pretty sure I had that sh*t on cassette.

I've never heard sellout and Metallica in the same sentence unless somebody was talking about the Black Album.

Fade to Black is a solid song IMO although every time I hear it I think about the time Hetfield got burned on stage during that song.