PDA

View Full Version : How To: Member Map

Matt
07-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Instructions on how to add to the member map.

Features

The member map can be specific to an address or general to a town. That is why it was left on longitude and latitude so that people could generalize their location for security reasons if that matters.
It has a "satellite" and "hybrid" option in the upper right to see those different views (the town Zone lives in looks very pretty on the satellite version for instance)
I understand some of you may be close together on the default view but the map zooms all the way to the street level so it should be easy to separate them. I may change the default "elevation" at some point to show distinctions.How to:

Go to the member map (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/vbgooglemaphse.php) using the link in the toolbar above
Choose "add element" and you should get a screen to do just that
Simply zoom in or drag the map the the place you want and click there. That sets the mark
The "marker title" is required
choose a type of marker (people, landmarks, events...)
Enter in "marker text" for the quick view when someone mouses over your marker
If you have a home page on the net, you may enter that.
You can also add a URL for a pic (possibly from the gallery but any hosting service will work.
Add any comments you would likeThere you go

Ruthful
07-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm almost positive I effed this up.

Don't see my balloon-it looked like it covered up the entirety of Mahattan island, as well as the other four boroughs-and I'm pretty sure I entered the wrong information for the marker text.

D'oh!

BTW, there's a member who lives on The Canary Islands?

:unsure:

Matt
07-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for giving it a try Ruthful, I will go out and see what happened. :couple:

Matt
07-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Are you Grand Army Plaza Ruthful? I can't see an entry for you other than that one. 8)

Ruthful
07-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Yeah, that was me.

Well, I'll go see what happened.

Matt
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I don't mind a bit, gives me a chance to play with it. :D

I just wanted to make sure you wanted that to be yours or if it was that and another one specifically for you. :nana:

Ruthful
07-02-2007, 12:07 PM
It turns out that I placed it somewhere between Sardinia and Tunisia.

Yeah, I bollixed this one.

:pullhair:

It's odd, because I've been able to do this on Frapster (Frapper?), whatever it's called, with other message boards.

Matt
07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
I think the secret is going into "add element" when you initially do it but into "edit" under the elements list to move anything.

I can stick it right there if you tell me where it goes but it is a bit of a learning curve on how it works (which is why I put this thread up)

This is a direct link into a google map window. Dt.com has its own key to designate it as ours but it is not actually loaded here. :nana:

Ruthful
07-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Well it would go somewhere below yours-since I live in Kings County-but I don't know how you would insert it.

Matt
07-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Mine is out in Colorado but I have added some landmarks in NYC (notice color sheme)

To move (or edit in anyway) your entry just go into "list elements", find yours and click the "edit" link on the left.

Then you can drag the map to where you want to have it and click there. You cannot drag the marker, just click where you want on the edit screen and it will go there. Once its in the general area, you can zoom the map down to make it more specific if you like.

I think what gets people is they can't drag their existing mark if it is wrong, they just have to click the place they want it to be on the map from the "edit" link.

You can also change pic, website, description and everything else from that edit link. :D

VolsToTheWall
07-02-2007, 08:55 PM
To move (or edit in anyway) your entry just go into "list elements", find yours and click the "edit" link on the left.
I went into "List Elements" and found my entry, but I am unable to edit it. The edit column shows up on the right on my screen btw. I didn't put mine exactly where I meant to, was going to adjust it, but it doesn't seem like I have permission to make any changes.

Matt
07-03-2007, 04:12 AM
Dang :lol:

Its funny no matter how much you test a thing.

I will fix that up, thanks for letting me know Vols

towerguard
07-03-2007, 04:24 AM
I set myself as a "location" can that be edited? :lol:

uber-dur. (because I have to outdo SJ :p )

Brice
07-03-2007, 04:28 AM

It's all fixed.

I also added your street address, home phone number, social security number, etcetera. :D

towerguard
07-03-2007, 04:34 AM

It's all fixed.

I also added your street address, home phone number, social security number, etcetera. :D

:lol:
now it says my member name is Brice. :borg:

Brice
07-03-2007, 04:37 AM

It's all fixed.

now it says my member name is Brice. :borg:

Does it really? It should say your profile there was started by me.

Jean
07-03-2007, 05:09 AM
It says ZoNeSeeK's username is Matt. There must be some higher meaning to it.

Brice
07-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Oh, I see. Y'all mean the column that says submitted by.

Ruki
07-03-2007, 05:20 AM
it says username on my screen. the map says zone's username is matt and ronnie's is brice.

Brice
07-03-2007, 05:21 AM
That is weird. Whoever edits them shows up as their user.

Matt
07-03-2007, 05:49 AM
It is based on the last edit.

I had thought that a user could edit only their own entires but it seems like that is not the case. :orely:

Could be we are going to have to work on the honor system because I think if I open up "edit" function, its an all or nothing thing.

I may also be able to take off that name.

Brice
07-03-2007, 05:53 AM
It is based on the last edit.

I had thought that a user could edit only their own entires but it seems like that is not the case. :orely:

Could be we are going to have to work on the honor system because I think if I open up "edit" function, its an all or nothing thing.

I may also be able to take off that name.

I couldn't. I tried to change it. Maybe you can though.

Matt
07-03-2007, 05:55 AM
Hmmm...couldn't what Brice? Edit the entires? Because I thought your group still could. :pullhair:

EDIT--ah, I see. The name.

I believe I might be able to simply remove it from the admin panel so people can't see the last edit.

Brice
07-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Hmmm...couldn't what Brice? Edit the entires? Because I thought your group still could. :pullhair:

EDIT--ah, I see. The name.

I believe I might be able to simply remove it from the admin panel so people can't see the last edit.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I couldn't remove my name from his entry. I can still edit.

Matt
07-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Have I mentioned how much I appreciate those of you who take the plunge and test this stuff for me? Its invaluable so thanks to everyone for that :grouphug:

It looks like I can't take off the last edit so I am going to try turning on "edit" for the registered users group.

Then I will need someone who is not admin to tell me if they can edit all the entries, or just their own.

Matt
07-03-2007, 06:07 AM
The "edit" function has been turned on for registered users. You guys should be able to edit your own at the very least now.

towerguard
07-03-2007, 06:21 AM
Well, looks like everyone can edit everyone's...
I'd like to assume we could all behave as far as that goes... :lol:

edit- though I might have to edit matt's to say "I'm a big ol' bumbler bum"... j/k

Brice
07-03-2007, 06:22 AM
I would certainly hope so.

Matt
07-03-2007, 06:25 AM

looks like its all or nothing then. However, we do have the "last edited" mark on there so at least we can tell who is screwing around if it happens. :ninja:

The only other option is to assign a moderator to move these for people but that seems like over managing. Thanks for testing it Ronnie

towerguard
07-03-2007, 08:45 AM
In light of recent testing, I've decided to test it further.
My apologies to Fruno. :lol:

Matt
07-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Don't be messing Ronnie :D

People don't take too kindly to that stuff for the most part. :rock:

towerguard
07-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Don't be messing Ronnie :D

People don't take too kindly to that stuff for the most part. :rock:

I figured Fruno would get a chuckle out of it, otherwise I wouldn't have.

It's like the old post-editing game we had goin at .net so long ago :lol:

Matt
07-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Sure, I can understand that and I am sure Fruno wouldn't have a problem.

However...I really do not want anyone editing a member map entry that is not one of their own. We have already had misunderstandings that way and once the site grows, its going to be hard to have a "ha,ha,wink,wink" kind of deal.

I think its just a bad idea to set any kind of standard on messing with those, not to mention, it shows you own his entry right now and that is going to get very confusing

towerguard
07-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Sure, I can understand that and I am sure Fruno wouldn't have a problem.

However...I really do not want anyone editing a member map entry that is not one of their own. We have already had misunderstandings that way and once the site grows, its going to be hard to have a "ha,ha,wink,wink" kind of deal.

I think its just a bad idea to set any kind of standard on messing with those, not to mention, it shows you own his entry right now and that is going to get very confusing

I agree, but can't finding it very funny that I pwn Fruno...lol
He can edit it when he gets here. :pirate:

Matt
07-03-2007, 09:45 AM
:D

So...no way I can ask that we don't edit others map entries even as a joke?

I know this particular time doesn't matter, I am talking about the future.

:couple:

towerguard
07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
aye aye cappy...:innocent:

Matt
07-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Thank you sir :rock:

Bethany
07-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Hmmm. With the lat & long values takes from Wiki, I live in Georgia. Go figure.

Matt
07-03-2007, 03:18 PM
:cyclops:

Not sure what you mean there Bethany

Bethany
07-03-2007, 04:36 PM
I was too lazy to scroll until I found me so I C&P's the latitude and longitude for my town and my little blue thing looks like it's in Georgia.

Matt
07-03-2007, 04:46 PM
hmmm...you would think that was a standard. :lol:

latitude and longitude I mean. Have no idea if the map here or the c&p is right but its easy to move to the right place if you edit the element. :couple:

wizardsrainbow
08-03-2007, 04:49 AM
I am now on the map as Wizard's Roost

Matt
08-03-2007, 06:06 AM
:nana:

Thanks Wiz--I saw Letti put herself on there to, its great to get an idea of where people live.

wizardsrainbow
08-03-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks Wiz--I saw Letti put herself on there to, its great to get an idea of where people live.

Yeah Matt, it's pretty cool to see how international and diverse we are. It was a coin toss whether I listed NYC or CT as my home since I seem to spend about an equal amount of time in each place.

And then there is you out there is BEAUTIFUL Colorado which is like a different country compared to NYC!

Letti
08-10-2007, 08:24 AM

It really was my pleasure. :rose:
I adore that map but it makes my remember how far I am from most of you. *sigh*

Darkthoughts
10-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I clicked on my location in the UK and entered info in all the fields...but I've ended up in the ocean by Spain and Africa!??

No worries - sorted it :D

Matt
10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Sweet!!

Patrick
10-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Do you live on Bow-wow Road? :lol:

Darkthoughts
10-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Is that where I put myself? I didn't zoom in that much...no, I'm not on Bow Wow - but thats a cool name huh! :D Funny thing is, its a leafy little lane along the river where everyone walks their dogs :lol:

Jean
10-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Is that where I put myself? I didn't zoom in that much...no, I'm not on Bow Wow - but thats a cool name huh! :D Funny thing is, its a leafy little lane along the river where everyone walks their dogs :lol:
Nonsense. It's that path in Hades, guarded by Cerberus.

Letti
10-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Jean, I know very well how much you would like to avoid this question but I simply can't stop myself: when can we see you on the map??

Jean
10-03-2007, 11:07 AM
no, there's nothing to avoid here, really, - I wanted to place myself there on the very day I saw the map (a few months ago, that is), but something went wrong every time I tried. I'll try again when I have a little time.

Letti
10-03-2007, 12:07 PM
no, there's nothing to avoid here, really, - I wanted to place myself there on the very day I saw the map (a few months ago, that is), but something went wrong every time I tried. I'll try again when I have a little time.

In this case: :huglove:

Brice
10-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Perhaps, if you continue to have trouble someone can help you with that.

Jean
10-04-2007, 07:33 AM

Perhaps, if you continue to have trouble someone can help you with that.
Thank you Brice! a new pair of eyes would be of great help... I am afraid the only thing I should do is go back to How To and read it attentively, and every time I think of that my eyes are already out of working order. I think I just gotta do that first thing in the morning one day.

She-Oy
10-04-2007, 07:37 AM
It took me twice to get it right too, Jean, but it worked for me the second time.

Jean
10-04-2007, 07:38 AM
billy-bumblers are much more intelligent than bears. Especially female billy-bumblers. It's a universally known scientific fact.

Brice
10-04-2007, 07:43 AM
If I can help in anyway let me know Jean.

...well aside from giving up my eyes. :P

Letti
10-04-2007, 08:26 AM
It took me twice to get it right too, Jean, but it worked for me the second time.

I think I could manage at the 5th time. :D

Jon
10-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Ah Ha!!!

Now I know your secret dear Jean! You are captive at Area 51 which will not show up on any map!! As you are a captive...then you must be extraterrestrial.

He is an alien !!

Everyone grab a pitchfork or a torch and lets kill him for being different than us!... Its a tradition!!

Jean
10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Ah Ha!!!

Now I know your secret dear Jean! You are captive at Area 51 which will not show up on any map!! As you are a captive...then you must be extraterrestrial.

He is an alien !!

Everyone grab a pitchfork or a torch and lets kill him for being different than us!... Its a tradition!!
If it was so easy...

For my kingdom is not of this world, be it this planet or any other. We werbears come from beyond that door that opens on mysterious libraries and moonlit townsquares and empty sepulchres. Pitchforks can't as much as leave the shallowest of marks in our enchanted fur.

Jon
10-04-2007, 11:54 PM
I think then, my brother, that a library, complete with assigned seating and prerequisites to obtain a card are in order. This will allow my redneck mind to conceive you as a ghost rather than extraterrestrial.

Such things have been done before but never finished.

Arthur Heath
10-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Did the member map get reset or can I just not see the pegs?

Matt
10-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Hmmm...David and Laney had a weird entry. I will PM him and let him know I removed it--see if he can re add it.

Not sure why that happened, but its back now

gsvec
07-21-2008, 02:40 AM
When I go to Member Map, I don't have an option for "add element". Conspiracy? Good news is that as soon as I post to a thread thing are magically corrected!

Brice
07-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Matt, is the member map one of those options that doesn't open up till after five posts?

GirlGoneNineteen
07-02-2009, 12:18 PM
When I go to Member Map, I don't have an option for "add element"

Me either! :arg:

Matt
07-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I will look into this, it's about a 2 versions ago addon so hopefully it didn't shit the bed. :panic:

Cause I can't find a new one.:lol: