PDA

View Full Version : One For The Road - PS Publishing artist-signed limited hardcover

jon10g
10-29-2008, 01:48 AM
PS Publishing will be producing a limited illustrated hardback edition of One For The Road. It will be avaiable to people who sign up for a 5 year subscription to their magazine Postscripts. The illustrator is not named as yet. It will not be signed by King. It will be available for order in a few weeks I believe.

Clacke
10-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Yeah, just got that email myself. Here's the info from the email:

Special five-year subscription incentive - ultra-limited edition of Stephen King’s “One For The Road”
And for those folks who would like to take out a five-year subscription, we have an extra-special deal:

twenty issues of the unsigned edition [five years]: £200 post-free (instead of £240 plus postage - not previously available)
twenty issues of the signed edition [five years]: £450 post-free (instead of £500 plus postage - not previously available)
Now, I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking that the discounts for the five-year subs just don’t seem as good as those for the two- and three-years subs. Well, we’ve got a little extra incentive for the five-year deal. But be warned: we’ve got only 200 of the unsigned edition and 100 of the signed edition. Here’s what it is.

We’ve negotiated the one-off rights to publish Stephen King’s wonderful story “One For The Road” (a favourite of mine) as a strictly-limited, extensively illustrated, full colour hardcover edition.

Steve won’t be signing any copies - he’s still nursing his wrist from The Colorado Kid (heck, he had to type the last couple of novels one-handed! - what a week that turned out to be!) - but the top state will be signed by the artist and it’ll be slipcased and, like the edition going out to subscribers to the unsigned Postscripts, strictly numbered. First come, first served… and when they’re gone, they’re gone. But hold on there, hoss… the order box is not yet up on the website - but it will be in the next week or so. This is just by way of a heads-up. And no, we don’t have details of the artist at this stage - we’re still discussing the possibilities with Steve. As soon as we know, you’ll know.

jhanic
10-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks, Clacke. That sounds pretty expensive, though. I'll be thinking about it.

John

carlosdetweiller
10-29-2008, 06:55 AM
I got the e-mail, read it through, thought about it for about 5 minutes and decided to pass. There was a time, in years past, when I would have signed up for five years of something I didn't want just to get a King book. But, I think, that that time has past. I'm sure one or more will be offered for sale on the secondary market and I will probably get the King book then. I'm not gonna bite this time around.

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2008, 07:05 AM
I will pass this time as well....not only because of the deal but because I'm stupid if I'm not fiscally more responsible in today's economy.

e_taylor
10-29-2008, 07:15 AM
I will pass this time as well....not only because of the deal but because I'm stupid if I'm not fiscally more responsible in today's economy.

Amen to that David. I've had to thin out my collection and reduce my "want" list to keep up lately. I made one big purchase that I couldn't pass up, but aside from TLSOE (whenever that comes out!) I won't be making many purchases for a while.

super sam
10-29-2008, 07:19 AM
I have not decided if i´m going to buy (5 year subscription) this one. :orely:
If so, it will be the unsigned ed.

Randall Flagg
10-29-2008, 09:34 AM
A bit too much for my budget at this time. As David said, now is the time for fiscal prudence (at least in my case).

Cutter
10-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Yea I'm passing as well, it's too expensive for an unsigned copy.

swintek
10-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Yep, I'll bet it'll be a cool book, but it's too much to ask to get it. If they offered it with a one year sub- I'd be in. And, it would get me to try the series, and perhaps like it enough to keep subscribing. But 5 years? Forget it.

Ron

(I'm SO on board with the Tim Powers bibliography, though- been waiting YEARS for that sucker to come out)

Rahfa
10-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah...this story is supposed to be in the Legacies compilation by CD...granted, this is an unsigned version...but the fact that it was licensed for use in two places seems pretty unlikely, right?

This might not be the last nail in the coffin of Legacies...but I think they're doing a nice bit of polishing on the wood...

Bev Vincent
10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Not all that unlikely -- it was also licensed for use in the Centipede Press edition of Salem's Lot

DanishCollector
10-30-2008, 12:51 PM
And it's in The Secretary of Dreams, vol.2

herbertwest
11-02-2008, 04:18 PM
PS Publishing will be producing a limited illustrated hardback edition of One For The Road. It will be avaiable to people who sign up for a 5 year subscription to their magazine Postscripts. The illustrator is not named as yet. It will not be signed by King. It will be available for order in a few weeks I believe.

interesting for the Illustration thread :-)
well, when i'll become available

shnnrc01
11-03-2008, 11:26 AM
gonna pass on this too i think.

Clacke
11-19-2008, 05:56 AM
Well, not too many people were thinking of taking this one up, but for those who are interested PS now have the subscription link up

http://news.pspublishing.co.uk/

super sam
12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Did anyone on this forum order the book/subscription?
I did pass on this one, had to much other interesting books to pay/order.
LSOE ed. ,different Just after sunset ed. and He is legend ed..

Patrick
12-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi Super Sam!

I passed on this as well. Like you said, too many other books in the payment queue at the present.

Cutter
01-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Actually I just ordered this.

I already own a lifetime subscription to PS Publishing; because I like SF, Fantasy and Horror and they put out multiple volumes of all three every month (I do this with a few publishers who put out good work, at least to me). When they do King, Hill or Bradbury it’s a great plus. But I do not get the magazine subscription, and I was going to pass on this King book, but I decided heck I already have most of the magazine’s issues I might as well continue so I bought the 5 year subscription.

A couple of things I found out about Postscripts. It is changing from a magazine to a quarterly anthology. I guess the magazine has lost money on pretty much every issue it has published, so they are changing formats. This is also why One for the Road is being offered. Steven King is helping out by allowing this book to be published to get subscription rates up for Postscripts.

And what I learned about the book is it’ll be full color with 20 double-page artwork pieces. It sounds pretty cool. I’ll post pictures whenever it comes out.

carlosdetweiller
01-23-2009, 11:23 AM

I ordered one too a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to it.

Cutter
01-23-2009, 12:43 PM

I ordered one too a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to it.
cool, Bob :thumbsup:

lophophoras
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I decided to buy in on the 5 Year Limited Edition Subscription so that I could get a artist signed slipcased copy of OFTR.

I didn't buy in right away but after some thought I figured it would be worth it.

I really like PS Publishing and enjoy Postscripts, I do think that it is worth the money especially with the SK incentive.

Ben Mears
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
A sample of the artwork...

carlosdetweiller
02-20-2009, 07:23 PM
I decided to buy in on the 5 Year Limited Edition Subscription so that I could get a artist signed slipcased copy of OFTR.

I didn't buy in right away but after some thought I figured it would be worth it.

I really like PS Publishing and enjoy Postscripts, I do think that it is worth the money especially with the SK incentive.

I did the same thing a couple of months ago. Initially I wasn't going to do it but after much thought, like you, I took the plunge. I'm looking forward to getting the King book but also reading the issues of Postscripts.

Chooch
02-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Damn...I gotta pass on it to, but I'll get it in the secondary (if and when) and probably end up paying the same $$:wtf:

carlosdetweiller
02-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Damn...I gotta pass on it to, but I'll get it in the secondary (if and when) and probably end up paying the same $$:wtf:

It will be interesting to see what the King book will sell for once it is released. I have a feeling it will be pricey with only 100 slipcased copies and 200 h/c copies. I was concerned that the five year subscription deal might not sell out and Pete might sell the extras himself at a reduced rate. I made him promise me that any extra copies would be offered to subscribers first. We'll see how it all works out.

lophophoras
02-21-2009, 07:03 AM

It will be interesting to see what the King book will sell for once it is released. I have a feeling it will be pricey with only 100 slipcased copies and 200 h/c copies. I was concerned that the five year subscription deal might not sell out and Pete might sell the extras himself at a reduced rate. I made him promise me that any extra copies would be offered to subscribers first. We'll see how it all works out.

That would be cool.

;)

herbertwest
02-22-2009, 04:37 AM

i like this style : very interesting!
May i ask how you got this sample? Thanks for sharing anyway :-)

Room 217 Caretaker
02-22-2009, 05:21 AM

i like this style : very interesting!
May i ask how you got this sample? Thanks for sharing anyway :-)

The picure is posted in PS Publishing News Room. Here's the link (just scroll down until you see it):

http://news.pspublishing.co.uk/

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

herbertwest
02-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Stephen King’s One for the Road

We’ve now received seven of James Hannah’s twenty double-page-spread full-colour illustrations for our special edition of Stephen King’s One for the Road and they’re some of his absolute best work. We were going for ten but when we saw what Jim had in mind, we doubled it.

thanks for the link !

DanishCollector
02-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Hannah also illustrated "Graduation Afternoon" in Postscripts. I also like his style.

willie3
02-22-2009, 01:20 PM
I had thought about taking advantage of the installment plan PS is offering.

Just having a real hard time justifying the cost.

Same as buying a Kindle for the UR novella...

Eric719691
01-01-2010, 07:09 PM
"This much-loved tale is narrated by Booth, an elderly resident of a small Maine town that neighbors the infamous Jerusalem's Lot, and it takes place a couple of years after the events in King's novel. Booth describes a winter's night years ago, when he and his friend, a bar owner named Herb Tooklander (Tookey), receive a visit from a distressed motorist named Gerard Lumley, whose vehicle had become stranded in a ferocious blizzard . . . with his wife and daughter still inside. At first critical of Lumley for driving in such weather, both men are horrified when they realise that Lumley's car is stranded in Jerusalem's Lot, widely regarded to have 'gone bad'. Nevertheless, they still decide to drive out in a snow plough and attempt to save Lumley's family. Instead, they barely manage to save themselves.

Widely regarded to be one of King's finest short stories -- itself a sequel of sorts to what so many feel is perhaps his finest novel -- 'One For The Road' is the author working at the top of his form. For years, people clamored for another visit to 'Salem's Lot. Well, here it is . . . a wintry little coda to one of King's scariest works. All the classic elements are here: an empty town, heavy weather, Yankee accents ... and the monsters, of course. Let's not forget the monsters.

This special landscape PS edition features 18 brand new full-page and full-color illustrations from PS favorite James Hannah, whose covers have featured on Elizabeth Hand's Illyria, Mark Samuels's The Face Of Twilight, Graham Joyce's TWOC, and Ray Bradbury's classic triptych of The October Country, The Halloween Tree and Something Wicked This Way Comes

Today was the first I have heard about this. What has everyone else heard? Estimated date is 1 Feb, and will be available in two states: a trade hardcover and signed limited slipcased edition (signed by Artist).

http://www.horror-mall.com/ONE-FOR-THE-ROAD-by-Stephen-King-signed-limited-hardcover-slipcase-edition-p-20226.html

http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fstore.pspublishin g.co.uk%2f&WD=road&PN=forthcoming_titles.html%23a305#a305

carlosdetweiller
01-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Today was the first I have heard about this. What has everyone else heard? Estimated date is 1 Feb, and will be available in two states: a trade hardcover and signed limited slipcased edition (signed by Artist).

It has been in the works for several months. Initially it was to be given as a free incentive ONLY to subscribers who took out a five year subscription to Postscripts. It was stated in no uncertain terms that that was the only way to get a copy.

I reluctantly subscribed in November 2008 to the tune of nearly $700 for the S/L state. You can imagine my anger when I saw last month that Pete Crowther had decided to sell it separately. I sent him an e-mail asking for an explanation. To Pete's credit he offered to refund the unused monies for my subscription if I wanted to go the other way. I decided to stay the course but I really hate it when publishers go back on their word.

Cloysterpete
01-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Way out of my price range, £75 for the unsigned edition, ha yeah right lol. Didn't I just get UK S/L of Under the Dome the other week for £100!.

How come the price for unsigned editions fluctuates so much between publishers?, I mean the Riding the Bullet one comes to $47(£27) yet this one is £75 for just one short story. I wonder which price point the Battleground one will be set at.

jhanic
01-02-2010, 06:05 AM
I'll pass. If it were signed by King and at a reasonable price, I'd consider it, but...

John

Brice
01-02-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm sure there will be signed copies on ebay, John. Maybe even with COAs. :)

jhanic
01-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Gee, thanks! I'll have to especially look for those with the COAs! :P

John

willie3
01-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Thought about subscribing myself to obtain a copy.

Glad I didn't.

Pretty high price for a chapbook, reprinted story, that's not signed by King.

I'll wait and get a PC copy on eBay for a price much like that of Hill's signed The Saved.

Karl

Rahfa
01-03-2010, 05:11 PM

It has been in the works for several months. Initially it was to be given as a free incentive ONLY to subscribers who took out a five year subscription to Postscripts. It was stated in no uncertain terms that that was the only way to get a copy.

I reluctantly subscribed in November 2008 to the tune of nearly $700 for the S/L state. You can imagine my anger when I saw last month that Pete Crowther had decided to sell it separately. I sent him an e-mail asking for an explanation. To Pete's credit he offered to refund the unused monies for my subscription if I wanted to go the other way. I decided to stay the course but I really hate it when publishers go back on their word.

Ridiculous!

I know it's not a deliberate bait-and-switch, but still...do they think their customers have no idea what's going on, or how offers/deals change? It's just such a poor business practice.

Obviosuly, they underestimated demand (shocker) for an unsigned limited...but it should always have been sold as "guaranteed if you subscribe, otherwise, no promises" type of sale.

Bad economic times make for poor business practices...

lophophoras
01-04-2010, 05:03 AM
I subscribed as well but I chose to pay in four installments instead of the full amount up front. I approached Pete as well about this. He explained that he had many SK fans asking if they could just purchase the book without subscribing, so he decided to sell the book without the required subscription.

I told him that even though I enjoyed his books I'd prefer to drop my subscription and just purchase the SK book as well. He told me that was no problem and he put the money that I had already paid towards the sell price of the SK book.

He was very cooperative and understanding.

Cutter
01-04-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm looking foreword to it, but I doubt it'll blow me away. it'll just be a colorful book.

I get it because I'm a lifetime member with PS so I get everything, I didn't have to pay any extra because they were doing a King book.