PDA

View Full Version : The official "DO NOT USE THIS BOOK" thread

Sam
10-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Since we have had some calls for certain titles to not be used in the Book Club, I thought I'd start a thread so we can keep up with the list.

So far we have a request for Moby Dick. I would say that should a title excluded it should be because numerous people want it excluded, not just one person. I don't think that will be a problem with Herr Melville's tome. Call me Ishmael.:unsure:

LadyHitchhiker
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Are we censoring our book club???

razz
10-28-2008, 02:25 PM
of course not, we're just going through books to decide what most of us don't want read. I think it's a good idea, this thread. It will gives a chance to discuss now, instead of arguing and vetoing in the future.

LadyHitchhiker
10-28-2008, 02:32 PM
*phew* What a relief...

LadyHitchhiker
10-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Well then on that note, can we PLEASE not read Johnny Tremain? I know there are avid lovers of the book out there but I consider it a major downer and a very big snorefest of a book. I would never read that book EVER again.

theBeamisHome
10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
ummm.... at risk of being flamed i want to request that we leave out The Great Gatsby... *shudder* couldn't stand it... i'll even try Catcher in the Rye again

razz
10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
ummm.... at risk of being flamed i want to request that we leave out The Great Gatsby... *shudder* couldn't stand it... i'll even try Catcher in the Rye again
I second that.

Sam
10-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I'll third Gatsby and fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh Moby Dick. I read the abridged version and even THAT bored the everlasting HELL out of me.

Sam
10-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I DO think turtlesong should give a report on it though. ;)

Mist_on_the_Water
10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I agree with Moby Dick..don't like the Great Gatsby being excluded, but I've read it, so all good with me ^_^

I know they aren't considered great iterature but I'd like to request that none of the ever-popular Twilight books are used...I've never read them, but vamps aren't my thing....

The Lady of Shadows
10-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I DO think turtlesong should give a report on it though. ;)

*ahem*

my report on moby dick.
it is a book about a whale but the fucking whale doesn't even show up until 2/3 of the fucking way through the fucking book. and that's if you can even fucking make it through the entire fucking section of whale blubber. who fucking writes about whale blubber anyway. and who fucking wants to read about it? we fucking get it. it's an epic tale about man's search for his own immortality or his own manhood or what the fuck ever you want. but did you have to write a book about a fucking whale and not even put the fucking whale into the fucking book until the fucking end of the book?

*ahem*

this concludes my report on moby dick.
thank you.

i'm t/song (aka little bear) and i approve this message.

The Lady of Shadows
10-28-2008, 08:02 PM
oh and as for books not being read. if you guys pick a clockwork orange i'll be out that month. i don't read books with scenes like that if i know they're in there. also, i don't read books with graphic child abuse, incest, or anything like that.

in fact, that's why i just returned tethered to b&n. i just don't read about that shit.

Jean
10-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Please let's not duplicate existing discussions. I have (so far - depending on which direction it will take) nothing against having a "no-nomination" thread, but there are other threads in Dutch Hill where you can explain why you do or don't like a particular book.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/thaku.gif