PDA

View Full Version : Necroscope!

flaggwalkstheline
10-28-2008, 06:59 AM
I love Brian Lumleys' necroscope series, i just finished the 5th one, what a tradgedy, poor harry keogh, are there any other necroscope fans on here? I like it almost as much as the dark tower
what r ur favorite scenes? character?
I like the flashback in book 2 when thibor gets infected, if there arent any necroscope fans on here i just horribly embarassed myself lol

MonteGss
10-28-2008, 07:19 AM
I like the series as well but stopped before the "new" necroscope comes along. Also, for a vampire series, it is super weak. I disliked how they were portrayed in this series and Harry's abilities are the reason I kept reading. Harry is awesome but the whole egg-symbiotic life thing was super lame, imo.

I own the first five books but have read the three books that come later, about his sons. I stopped there but I did see that there are "lost years" books about Harry that I will revisit. :)

I think we may be the only fans of this series though...:)

lophophoras
10-28-2008, 07:23 AM
I liked the portion of the series that I read back in the early 90s. Has been a while since I read any of his work though. May have to pick it back up again I suppose. :orely:

Jean
10-28-2008, 07:23 AM
I never read it, but if it, as I suppose, comes under "Horror, Fantasy and SciFi", I'll move it to the Mansion.

flaggwalkstheline
10-28-2008, 07:31 AM
I like the series as well but stopped before the "new" necroscope comes along. Also, for a vampire series, it is super weak. I disliked how they were portrayed in this series and Harry's abilities are the reason I kept reading. Harry is awesome but the whole egg-symbiotic life thing was super lame, imo.

I own the first five books but have read the three books that come later, about his sons. I stopped there but I did see that there are "lost years" books about Harry that I will revisit. :)

I think we may be the only fans of this series though...:)

i hope not

I havent read anything beyond book 5 (aka the last temptation of harry keogh lol)
I thought the whole symbiotic vampire thing was awesome the vampires in necroscope r BAD like the polar opposite of anne rices' effiminate/ elegant immortals, its cool how the baddest one (faethor) does his worst deed (infecting harry) as a ghost! that thing w/ the mushrooms in book 4 totally freaked me out, i guess there were hints throughout the story but i didnt connect the mushrooms w/ harrys' temper and craving for raw meat and aversion to sunlight until that last page when he saw the red lines it was like:scared:

Brice
10-28-2008, 07:33 AM
I haven't yet read these, but we have them around the house and I've heard they're good.

MonteGss
10-28-2008, 07:36 AM
I admire Lumley's attempt to "re-do" the idea of vampires but it was way out there for me. If he would have centered the series more on the idea of being a Necroscope and mathematics, it would have been a stronger series.

flaggwalkstheline
10-28-2008, 10:23 AM
i liked how he mixed cold war espionage with psychics and vampires and alternate realities and monsters and aliens, its awesome in a pulpy sort of way

MonteGss
10-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Oh absolutely!! He has a great story and ideas to be sure!! Very entertaining read, I just prefer not to treat them as "vampire" books. :)

You really should read the 6th thru 8th books which take place after Harry's death. They are pretty good too. :)

KaLikeAWheel
10-29-2008, 01:41 AM
I loved the Necroscope series!! I read all of the original series and a couple of the "Next Generation," (or whatever it was called) books as well. It's been years and years since I read them, but they used to be some of my favorite books. I think I'll have to see if my library system can get them all for me.
Donna