PDA

View Full Version : RECESSION BLUES

3 DOORS DOWN
10-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi all.

I wondered how the world wide recession was affecting you in your part
of the world.As for here in the uk in my area things are getting worse
week by week.The working week is being cut to 4 or 3 working days in
some jobs,and at worse job cuts in some firms from 200 to 500.
It seems if the building industry was hit first,new build houses just left
unfinished.This has affected a whole range of other job areas.
Hope things are better for you in your part of the world.
Who do you think is at fault for the recession.

MrQuint
10-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Who do you think is at fault for the recession.

W

... just kidding, you can't blame one person but it's fun to pick on him.

Anyway, I don't know man. I work at a Business School and and depending on which "thought leader" (new buzzword) you speak to they all blame a different entity.

Bottom line, IMO, things get better. Don't they always?

jayson
10-24-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't think there is any singular person/entity to blame, but deregulation and a lack of proper oversight certainly contributed greatly to the problem and I think that is the fault of the entire US Congress, not one party or the other.

Oh, and I agree with Quint, it's fun to pick on Dubya. While he is not to blame, he is definitely a proponent of the deregulatory thinking which is at fault (though it started before his time).

Matt
10-24-2008, 01:32 PM
I live in a small town and work for a community bank. I don't have a lot of money and don't invest so my area has not seen much change.

I agree it's hard to lay blame but there are plenty of people I would like to punch. :lol:

Mist_on_the_Water
10-24-2008, 03:54 PM
well I won't blame anyone, but I live in the State of New York in the US, and though I'm only (soon to be) 17, i have the financial awareness of someone twice my age because I've become so cautious about my money...I'm going to college next year and the recession makes me incredibly nervous....especially when we lost power for a day not long ago when my parents couldn't afford the bill for too long....:nope::beat::scared:

~IR <3

Jon
10-25-2008, 12:45 AM
I must say that in my area, I have never seen so much used construction and paving equiptment for sale.

Woofer
10-25-2008, 04:49 AM
I have had a house for sale for 2 years. It is 500 feet from the beach.

Matt
10-25-2008, 07:33 AM
We've given up on the idea of even trying to sell ours for a few years. We had thought of downsizing sooner but that's not going to happen.

Ves'Ka Gan
10-25-2008, 05:23 PM
With my beau being military his job security & finances are pretty well set--however we just got stationed in the California desert and I wasn't too excited about looking for a job out here--now I am downright terrified of finding work.

Here's hoping to something that pays better than McDonald's!:thumbsup:

razz
10-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I've been tring to find a job since i was fifteen. I've had one which can barely be considered a job. i was working at the Boys and Girls club, teaching kids to use digital cameras and stuff. It sucked. My partner in crime never showed up, i recieved NO HELP from either my employer (soem spanish guy who worked at the community tech center) or the head of the Boys and Girls Club. everythign that could go wrong did. When It came time for pay (300 bucks) for the 2 month program, I turned it down, cuz i didn't think i deserved it. I got paid anyways, since it was being funded by Comcast (the monopolizing cable company).
Anyways, I've been trying to find work since. Which is just about impossible in Flint. they've close two of the three major businesses: Delphi, and the GM plant.
So all the jobs are going to them workers. Funny thing is, this all started (the plants closing) because the workers went on strike (you know, cuz the 20 dollars an hour just wan't enough)

Woofer
10-25-2008, 05:52 PM
In our case, we don't have much choice in selling. We will lose the house to property taxes before too long. We can't homestead it, so the taxes are crushing. Seriously. I mean like $4,000 thousand dollars. That, of course, is in addition to the insurance ($2,000) we must keep on it in case of a hurricane. My brother and I inherited it when Mom died two years ago, and we are out of savings just keeping the place from being seized for taxes. Beginning in January, we will try to rent it as well as sell it. I wish just hanging on was an option. :arg:

flaggwalkstheline
10-28-2008, 07:12 AM
I live in new mexico and i have this to say about the economy: just as communism failed due to its shortcomings capitalism and the free market are 2, money and economy are abstract concepts which we have built societies on when in actuality they have NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on reality, they are a myth, i think if everyone went back to the barter system we would all be much happier, and if it takes the little game we call the free market finally failing then so be it, let it burn, when u play with fake fire u can pretend to get burnt:evil:

Daghain
10-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah, my five year plan of fixing up my condo and selling it for a nicer one went right down the drain. I think I'll be here until I retire.

Still, it's a tax break, so I can't complain too much.

Bethany
10-28-2008, 06:31 PM
i was over in the "rich" neighborhood of birmingham (the largest city in the state) the other day and i have never seen so many houses for sale. it was kind of scary.

this will sound horrible, but bad times = more job security for me.

Woofer
10-29-2008, 03:07 AM
BETHANY! *wolftackle*

Don't let any Brookies hear you calling Mountain Brook (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Brook) (see also Mountain Brook (http://www.mtnbrook.org/)) part of Birmingham. Mr. Woofer is from Mtn. Brook, but alas, his father remarried and the evil stepmother inherited everything.

Bethany
10-29-2008, 03:21 AM
BETHANY! *wolftackle*

Don't let any Brookies hear you calling Mountain Brook (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Brook) (see also Mountain Brook (http://www.mtnbrook.org/)) part of Birmingham. Mr. Woofer is from Mtn. Brook, but alas, his father remarried and the evil stepmother inherited everything.

ha! i love that you knew exactly where i was talking about!

theBeamisHome
10-29-2008, 04:06 AM
bethany!! where've you been??

i'm in college and have been for a few years already and i just have bills out the ass.. but i have to go to school so working is secondary and i'm not making much money... idk what's gonna happen to me.

Sam
10-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I've been out of work since last September but always had it in my mind to go back to work, somewhere, when my wife was better. So far, the job market is shit, and I have very few skills besides those I have from my four college degrees (none of them in anything useful mind you), two year working in security, and eight years working as a correctional officer and first line supervisor. Beyond that, I have little to offer. I can whip someone's ass if needed, can negotiate, and can find loopholes in most any situation, but I can barely turn my computer on. It looks like I will either be going back to security or the prisons, or I'll be asking people if they want fries with their order.:cry: