PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower Costumes! Dressing up.

Schoerb
10-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey y'all,
Is anyone planning on going as a DT character for Halloween this year? Or have you gone in the past and how did it go?

I was checking out a bunch of gunslinger/cowboy costumes and nothing really does it for me. I want to piece together the costume myself but I would end up spending a lot of moola on a nice duster, hat, boots, holster, ect.

I think I might try and go as Clint Eastwood from The Man With No Name trilogy, if only I can find that poncho...

ladykatherine
10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
hehehehe.
a few friends and I were toying around with idea, but abandoned it... ::sigh:: ><
maybe someday I'll be able to pull enough people together to just have a DT themed party! That'd be fun....

I know what you mean though...none of the costumes out there are quite what you'd want. And I hear ya--money is ALWAY a problem with halloween. It's not fair that it's so expensive to be creative, haha.

Daghain
10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
I'll be too drunk to explain it to everyone, so no. :lol:

DBF and I are going to be beatniks, daddy-o.

Rjeso
10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I always go as something off the beaten path, and I find all my costume components at thrift shops. I've had some pretty badass, Grand Prize-winning costumes for $10-$15 before. There's usually one or two things I buy new, but they're usually something small that there'd be no chance of finding at a thrift sore.

Jackie
10-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Since i look kind of like Susan Delgado [blonde hair and all] i WAS considering her but i figured no one would know who i was :lol:

gsvec
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Pics, Laura, pics!!! :rock:

Rjeso
10-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't have any. Sorry. My two favorites were the Basketcase/Allison from The Breakfast Club, and then the lunchlady from Lunchlady Land skit from SNL (yep, a girl dressed as a guy dressed as a girl). The party just happened to have sloppy joes, too (totally unplanned).

Daghain
10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
You did NOT do the crazy chick from Breakfast Club - I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

That is AWESOME! I didn't think you were old enough to know that one!

Rjeso
10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
:lol: I am a child of the 80's! But yeah, I had the skirt, the shoes, the sweater, the leggings, the hair (mine was longer then), the makeup, the scarf, and the satchel. The bag had clothes, a (mostly empty) bottle of vodka, "feminine products", black thread to wrap around my finger, Pixie Sticks... it was awesome. If I do say so myself.

Daghain
10-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Oh. My. God. Marry me? :lol:

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rjeso
10-20-2008, 06:50 PM
You know I would, bbycakes. :rofl:

Oh, and to get this back on track, I don't know who I would go as, if I were to do a DT-themed costume. I'm not really like anybody in the series.

Daghain
10-20-2008, 06:54 PM
I'd go as Roland. I don't really care if I'm gender challenged. :lol:

Rjeso
10-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Then maybe I'd go as Cuthbert. He's my favorite.

Daghain
10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Ooh, if we can get an Alain we're SET!!!!!!!

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
http://indolentmick.livejournal.com/78829.html

Daghain
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
A W E S O M E

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 07:14 PM
There's a whole outfit too.

I basically took a carving knife and destroyed my already threadbare National Review t-shirt, and fraying, gray slacks.

Hopefully, I-and several other zombies-will be marching in the East Village Parade. The People's Cube should be filming it, but that's still tentative at the moment.

Daghain
10-20-2008, 07:16 PM
:clap:

Video and/or stills, please!

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 07:22 PM
We'll see. This is one of those ideas that's either mind-bogglingly brilliant, or incredibly daft. I'll find out in about two weeks.

ladykatherine
10-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd go as Roland. I don't really care if I'm gender challenged. :lol:

Heeheehee. Who cares? Gender is a minor detail. I think you'd make an AMAZING Roland!
:thumbsup:

Daghain
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd like to think so. Maybe next year. :D

wizardsrainbow
10-21-2008, 04:30 AM
Maybe I should dress up as a ketchup covered clown :wtf:

Matt
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I think that would rate a scare factor of 10!! :lol:

Schoerb
10-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Lol, anything with Clowns scares me thanks to It.

Daghain
10-21-2008, 11:57 AM

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ladykatherine
10-21-2008, 03:49 PM

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I'm just terrified hearing references to this experience...::shudders::

><

William50
10-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm dressing up as Hannibal Lecter! I cant wait to see the look on people's faces!:excited:

stone, rose, unfound door
10-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Just a stupid question: are you all guys getting costumes and stuff for Halloween? I know it sounds silly, but we really don't pay much attention to it here and I haven't done anything for the past 5 years and I didn't use to do anything as a child either.
Anyway, I want to see pictures of you all (especially those wearing gunslingers costumes! esp. Cuthbert, of course :P)

The Lady of Shadows
10-22-2008, 08:31 AM
i hide on halloween. we turn off the porchlight and either go out to dinner and then the bookstore or come back home and watch a movie.

it's a hard "holiday". ><

Daghain
10-22-2008, 05:21 PM
DBF and I are Halloween freaks. We decorate the house and the yard, and have a party every year - costume required, or you WILL get dressed at the door. Trust me, you do NOT want that to happen, especially if you show up after everyone has had a few. :lol:

Ruthful
10-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Just a stupid question: are you all guys getting costumes and stuff for Halloween? I know it sounds silly, but we really don't pay much attention to it here and I haven't done anything for the past 5 years and I didn't use to do anything as a child either.
Anyway, I want to see pictures of you all (especially those wearing gunslingers costumes! esp. Cuthbert, of course :P)

This is going to be the first time I've donned a Halloween costume-which is a charitable description of what I'll be wearing-since I was twelve, and dressed up as the grim reaper to enter a contest at my local bank.

Once, I went to a Halloween party held at the apt. of my friend Pepper's girlfriend. I had a National Review t-shirt on, and told everyone that I was William F. Buckley Jr.

Woofer
10-22-2008, 05:39 PM

I live Howl-o-ween. Even my office at work has an "Autopsy Room" sign above the door - and that's just the tip of the office. I'll be a bloodied and battered escaped inmate from the Arkham Asylum, inmate number 655321 (25 pts reference). Hubby is going to be a dark jester.

Last year, when I was dealing with a ... thing associated with my phobia ... I felt like a piece of crap, so I dressed as Charlie Brown's multi-holed ghost. I even carried a paper bag with a few rocks in it. I was in bad shape, but I was NOT going to miss Howl-o-ween completely.!

i hide on halloween. we turn off the porchlight and either go out to dinner and then the bookstore or come back home and watch a movie.

*comf* I'm sorry. Can I make Howl-o-ween better? *passes out chocolate candy to turtlesong*

Ruthful
10-22-2008, 05:57 PM
DBF and I are Halloween freaks. We decorate the house and the yard, and have a party every year - costume required, or you WILL get dressed at the door. Trust me, you do NOT want that to happen, especially if you show up after everyone has had a few. :lol:

My sister is the same way-perhaps not to that extent-this is probably her favorite holiday.

jayson
10-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Last year, when I was dealing with a ... thing associated with my phobia ... I felt like a piece of crap, so I dressed as Charlie Brown's multi-holed ghost. I even carried a paper bag with a few rocks in it. I was in bad shape, but I was NOT going to miss Howl-o-ween completely.!

When I was 22 I went as Charlie Brown. I did the ghost-sheet thing with the bag of rocks, and also dressed as Charlie underneath the sheet. I even cut a picture of Chuck out of the comics page of the paper and taped it over my license picture since my friends and I were going out to some bars that night. When I showed my ID to the guy at the door of one he looked at the picture of Charlie, looked at me and said "I don't care if you're 21 or not, you can definitely come in here". I wound up becoming friends with the guy and shortly thereafter ended up working the door there along with him for months.

Daghain
10-22-2008, 08:46 PM

My sister is the same way-perhaps not to that extent-this is probably her favorite holiday.

You have no idea. Halloween and the 4th of July are MY holidays. :lol:

I've put pics up of DBF's yard before. This year he had some major landscaping done, so the yard won't be so elaborate, but we spent HOURS putting up stuff on the garage and basement walls.

My only regret is that Halloween actually falls on a Friday this year. Normally we can have the party on a different night than trick-or-treating, and I so LOVE to hide in the yard and scare the crap out of the little kids. :lol:

Woofer
10-23-2008, 05:14 AM

When I was 22 I went as Charlie Brown. I did the ghost-sheet thing with the bag of rocks, and also dressed as Charlie underneath the sheet. I even cut a picture of Chuck out of the comics page of the paper and taped it over my license picture since my friends and I were going out to some bars that night. When I showed my ID to the guy at the door of one he looked at the picture of Charlie, looked at me and said "I don't care if you're 21 or not, you can definitely come in here". I wound up becoming friends with the guy and shortly thereafter ended up working the door there along with him for months.

That's a great story, R_of_G! :thumbsup:

You have no idea. Halloween and the 4th of July are MY holidays. :lol:

I've put pics up of DBF's yard before. This year he had some major landscaping done, so the yard won't be so elaborate, but we spent HOURS putting up stuff on the garage and basement walls.

My only regret is that Halloween actually falls on a Friday this year. Normally we can have the party on a different night than trick-or-treating, and I so LOVE to hide in the yard and scare the crap out of the little kids. :lol:

I was adopted... you must be my long-lost twin! :cool: There are Halloween decorations in my office that never come down - and the boss is okay with that.

Brice
10-23-2008, 05:21 AM
inmate number 655321 (25 pts reference).

I don't even think I need to say it. :D

Ruthful
10-23-2008, 06:18 AM
One of these days I'm just going to shave my goatee and pretend that I'm dressed up as Quentin Tarantino.

Rjeso
10-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Halloween and 4th of July are my favorites too, Daggers. I love everything about Halloween, and I love the 'picnics/fireworks/grilling/outdoor games with friends and family' thing about the 4th.

Ruthful, you should so do that! Post photos if you do. :D

Jayson, you are one awesome dude. The ID thing was so creative! I'm in awe. :)

I still don't know what I'm doing, if anything. Sad.

jayson
10-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks Laura. I chalk it up to being a detail-oriented geek. :)

Woofer
10-24-2008, 04:46 AM
inmate number 655321 (25 pts reference).

I don't even think I need to say it. :D

Somehow I knew you'd be the one to answer. :huglove:

Brice
10-24-2008, 04:56 AM
:D

:huglove:

The Lady of Shadows
10-25-2008, 08:38 PM
::hangs head::

i don't get it

::sneaks away::

gsvec
10-25-2008, 10:09 PM
10 Seconds (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220285/), T/S . . .

The Lady of Shadows
10-25-2008, 10:46 PM
:orely: :nope: :unsure: :nope:

gsvec
10-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Well that was my guess, anyway, based on googling! :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
no i mean i've never heard of it. :)

turtlex
10-28-2008, 03:31 AM

I thought I was the only one. Must be a turtle thing :)

The Lady of Shadows
10-28-2008, 02:27 PM
maybe it is at that. :couple:

LadyHitchhiker
10-28-2008, 02:44 PM
I was Alice from the resident evil movies about two years ago... that's about as gunslingery as I've ever done.

gsvec
10-28-2008, 05:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/beachmouse/Smilies/CarvingPumpkin.gif

razz
10-28-2008, 05:15 PM
:wtf:
awesome!
I think I'll do the rockstar thing liek i did for that school spirit week. that was fun!
except instead of a guitar, i carry blade
we don't trick or treat tho
we walk around

The Lady of Shadows
10-29-2008, 12:41 PM
gretchen you so need to change your member title to smilieslinger!

that was fucking awesome! probably the best yet. :D

sarah
11-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Now that Halloween is over, I've changed the title to something more neutral. Now you can dress up as Eddie or Roland all year round. :D

alinda
11-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Gosh, Susannah would be too hard to do, I mean loosing your legs , think I'd go with
Rosalita, I could have a honey of a time as her! :D

Diggity Of The Eld
11-12-2008, 09:52 AM
My fiance and I could totally do Eddie and Suze for Halloween next year, but yeah she'd have to lose her legs. We can always pretend she's "Todash Suze" or something. lol

I'd wanna be Book 5 Eddie, where he's all bad-ass and threatening to murder Andolini's family in Calvin's bookstore.

razz
11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
nope. you have to chop her legs off. it's the only solution. :P

Diggity Of The Eld
11-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Sonofa... :orely:

alinda
11-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey wait, wouldn't a blanket over the legs work in a wheel chair? :wtf:

razz
11-12-2008, 10:49 AM
of course not! it wouldn't look real!:angry:
It has to be amputation.

Diggity Of The Eld
11-12-2008, 11:13 AM
TODASH I SAY, TODASH! :P

razz
11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
it's a proven fact. It is impossible to impersonate Susannah without the amputation of both legs. I think it's also illegal in 21 states. (Turtlesong, check out the number)

The Lady of Shadows
11-13-2008, 01:39 PM
ah, a multiple of seven. :rose:

and he's right - it is 21 states. :P

Rambo, John J
09-14-2009, 01:52 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum folks but here goes.

Does anyone know where i'd be able to buy a decent (read - reasonably authentic) gun belt and double holster for a gunslinger costume for Halloween? Jeans, shirt and neckerchief etc. are easy enough, it'll be the gunbelt that makes the costume and i'm usually a stickler for getting things just right so the more realistic/ authentic the better!

I'm not looking to break the bank either, so anything less than $100 would be great!

Cheers folks.

ps, if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move!

turtlex
09-14-2009, 02:32 AM
You should google Western Outfitters Holsters... I got a ton of hits.

flaggwalkstheline
09-14-2009, 05:38 AM
this won't help:wtf: but theres a thrift store down the street from me called jones surplus store that sells all sorts of cool shit like cowboy hats, leather bags, boots, etc

so if ur ever in albuquerque thats ur number one gunslinger supply stop, and they have old guns too!

turtlex
09-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Hey Guys - Likely this will be merged later... but check out this Halloween Costume Thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=771) for some cool stuff.

gsvec
09-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Don't forget to lop off a finger or two! :P

Rambo, John J
09-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Cheers for the replies folks!

Rambo, John J
09-15-2009, 12:19 AM
this won't help:wtf: but theres a thrift store down the street from me called jones surplus store that sells all sorts of cool shit like cowboy hats, leather bags, boots, etc

so if ur ever in albuquerque thats ur number one gunslinger supply stop, and they have old guns too!

Hmmm... Interesting....

Sadly I live in NI...

Letti
09-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Don't forget to lop off a finger or two! :P

eh.. eh..

:lol:

Rambo, John J
09-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Ok, i've sourced a gunbelt and double holster set for $140 which - while a bit more expensive than i'd want - is usually par for the course for me and halloween costumes. I'll have faded 'no colour' dusty jeans, a shirt, bandaged hand and a rose.

Can anyone else think of any other accessories I should have?

gsvec
09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
The horn!!

jayson
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM

a junkie, an african-american woman in a wheelchair and a little boy?

:rolleyes:

Brice
09-16-2009, 11:49 PM
and of course a mutant corgi.

Jean
09-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Mutant corgi yourself. It's a miniature bear. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

Brice
09-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Yes, but in a bear's eyes all the furred creatures ARE bears including the corgis, presumably even the mutant ones. :P

Jean
09-17-2009, 12:24 AM
how did you know??? how did you know????!!! it was our sacred mystery!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif
[/off-topic]

Brice
09-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Yes, you keep that secret so well. ;) :lol:

Rambo, John J
09-17-2009, 04:54 AM
My brother suggested a hamburger and some aspirin. And a copy of 'Hey Jude.'

gsvec - genius, how could I forget the horn of Eld!!?

Rambo, John J
09-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Miniature bear, eh...

sarajean
09-17-2009, 10:55 AM

SpaceMaN
09-25-2009, 06:03 AM
a canteen (or waterskin), a really sharp knife, and a cross on a fine silver chain (aunt talitha's)

cozener
09-30-2009, 04:37 AM
Ok, i've sourced a gunbelt and double holster set for $140 which - while a bit more expensive than i'd want - is usually par for the course for me and halloween costumes. I'll have faded 'no colour' dusty jeans, a shirt, bandaged hand and a rose.

Can anyone else think of any other accessories I should have? A pair of blinders and a stick attached to your hat that dangles a small tower in front of you?

ola
09-30-2009, 08:42 PM
A pair of blinders and a stick attached to your hat that dangles a small tower in front of you?

markadie01
10-02-2009, 06:54 AM
I think it would be awesome to dress as Susannah. It might be difficult to conceil ones legs and find a wheel chair but it would be an amazing costume. :rock:

Jean
10-02-2009, 08:37 AM
I think it would be awesome to dress as Susannah. It might be difficult to conceil ones legs and find a wheel chair but it would be an amazing costume. :rock:
::suave::

don't conceal your legs...

... display them!

(you can always say you're Susannah on her todash trip to New York)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_romantic.gif

cozener
10-02-2009, 12:55 PM
and put white makup on them :)

Jean
10-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Bears wonder if otters count as billybumblers. We could be Oy and Shardik.

Woofer
10-03-2009, 11:42 AM
a canteen (or waterskin), a really sharp knife, and a cross on a fine silver chain (aunt talitha's)

Can anyone else think of any other accessories I should have? A pair of blinders and a stick attached to your hat that dangles a small tower in front of you?

:thumbsup:

A wooden bowl or cup and a needle.
Red rhinestones (for the rubies he gave Jake).
Tobacco and papers, ungummed, and a large leaf to fold around them.
Random strips of leather (repairs).
Large leather pouch/purse-type thing to hold all your props. You can even make one yourself so that it goes more with the gunslinger outfit.
By the way, tape your missing fingers down before you wrap the bandana around your hand.

Jon
10-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Anyone going as Mordred?

Jean
10-04-2009, 03:07 AM
Anyone going as Mordred?
Me

http://www.fredposner.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/kunta-ocean.jpg
http://www.africanrainbowbears.com/assets/images/Viky-Spider_Bear__10cm_.jpg
http://surbrook.devermore.net/superpics/beasts/spiderbear.jpg

Brice
10-04-2009, 03:19 AM

candy
10-04-2009, 03:21 AM
:wtf: love those jean

Goblin
10-04-2009, 04:39 AM
The last Spider-Bear is a verrrrry scary one! :cry:

Brice
10-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Do spider bears spin webs to trap their prey in? :unsure:

Jean
10-04-2009, 05:21 AM
no, they use webs to fish for honey

(you make a clay pot, put it into a web, climb high on a tree to be above a beehive, slowly lower the web and scoop the honey with the pot)

darkwolf
10-04-2009, 05:08 PM
that last spider bear pic is :panic:! crazy stuff, love it! i can has as a pet?

Jean
10-04-2009, 10:42 PM
oh, absolutely. Dont forget fresh supply of honey every day, and you're safe.

cozener
10-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Bears wonder if otters count as billybumblers. We could be Oy and Shardik. I'd say on otter is as close as any other animal you'd care to mention. I'm game...but try not to step on me on the dance floor.

Jean
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
::autistic::

I'm an excellent dancer.............

Daghain
10-05-2009, 11:46 AM

WIN.

Woofer
10-05-2009, 04:58 PM

WIN.

I'd let you borrow my mutant Corgi mix, but he has been gone to the clearing for many a year now. (Plus, he hates hats, so Halloween with all the masks and hats completely freaked him out. The first Halloween after we were married, Mr. Woofer and I went as a warlock and black cat familiar. When we got home, Nick was asleep on the couch. He glanced up at the door when he heard the key, put his head back down, then did a double take and flew off the couch. He started barking like mad. The poor guy literally peed and barked at us as he backed all the way through the apartment to the bedroom with Mr. Woofer and I ripping costume bits off and trying to reassure him the entire time.)

Rambo, John J
10-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Curses, my gunslinger costume will have to wait until next year. Couldn't get a gun/ gunbelt in time.

Oh well, KISS it is then!

Rambo, John J
10-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Scratch that, i'll use an Indy costume toy guns. Gunslinger here I come. I'll get a single rose, Aunt Talitha's cross, and some tooter fish sandwiches.

Winner.

19eye-rosecrow-gun
11-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I was the dark man. I had a black hoodie with my denim jacket over it. I painted my face completely black and got a cool raven black wig to go with. I didn't get the best pics of myself but I will post them when my phone is working again.

alinda
11-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Anyone going as Mordred?
Me

http://www.fredposner.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/kunta-ocean.jpg
http://www.africanrainbowbears.com/assets/images/Viky-Spider_Bear__10cm_.jpg
http://surbrook.devermore.net/superpics/beasts/spiderbear.jpg

This is histerically funny....good one Jean :lol: