PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King: Ultimate Red Sox Fan

Ruthful
10-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't know if this is worthy of posting in a news-related, Stephen King forum, which is why I'm posting it here. In any case, last night, as I was listening to the West Coast feed of "All Night, with Jason Smith," he mentioned the fact that Stephen King was on camera during the 7th inning stretch...READING A BOOK!

The best part though came when inserted a reference to TDT, "Hile Gunslinger, you are well-met on All-Night," in his introduction.

Judge for yourselves:

http://ballhype.com/story/stephen_king_reading_book_during_rays_blowout/

Nerak
10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
couldn't have been reading a better book!! LOL

"When Will There Be Good News?" :lol:

And he ALWAYS brings a book, to read during between innings and the beginning of the game, pitching changes. He doesn't drink, needs to do something! LOL To bad I was already asleep when they showed him. I have been looking for him since game 1.

Ruthful
10-15-2008, 03:26 PM
What book was he reading?

Judging by the cover it looks to be a self-help book, but everyone keeps saying that it's some sort of horror novel.

Rjeso
10-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Well, who can blame him? I'd be reading if I were at a Red Sox game too. :P

Unless, of course, they were playing the Twins. ;)

Ruthful
10-15-2008, 04:03 PM
I just thought it was cool that one of ESPN's radio hosts is Tower junkie. He said he's been reading Stephen King's work for more than 25 years.

Nerak
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/When-Will-There-Good-News/dp/0316154857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224116373&sr=1-1

the book he was reading

Ruthful
10-15-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.amazon.com/When-Will-There-Good-News/dp/0316154857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224116373&sr=1-1

the book he was reading

Thanks.

:)

Heather19
10-15-2008, 05:03 PM
couldn't have been reading a better book!! LOL

"When Will There Be Good News?" :lol:

What a perfect title of a book for him to be reading considering what happened.

Ruthful
10-16-2008, 12:50 AM
He's talking about this for the second straight night!

:panic:

nt07077
10-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Sorry Stephen but they Rays are going whip some Red Sox ass tonight!!!!!:P

Ruthful
10-19-2008, 03:50 PM
We'll see.

I was surprised by how many commentators said Tampa would crush The Red Sox in this series. I mean, I understand in a sense-because Manny isn't there, and their most solid starting pitcher is hobbled-but it still surprised me.

aberrios75
10-20-2008, 06:02 AM
The Beam has been restored and the Sux have been bounced :dance:

turtlex
10-20-2008, 06:06 AM
The Beam has been restored and the Sux have been bounced :dance:

Ouch. Sai King is not the only Red Sox fan, you know!!!

Just remember Red Sox Are Reigning World Series Champions at least for a few more days.

aberrios75
10-20-2008, 06:24 AM
LOL, yes for a few more days and yes if you couldn't tell yet I am a Yankee fan.

Brice
10-20-2008, 06:27 AM
LOL, yes for a few more days and yes if you couldn't tell yet I am a Yankee fan.

*accidentally clicks the ban button* :P

J/k, of course. We're quite fond of all King fans here...even yankees fans.

jayson
10-20-2008, 06:28 AM
I won't go so far as to insult the Red Sox. I hate them more than any other team in professional sports, but they are nonetheless an excellent baseball team who gave the Rays everything they had.

That said, I couldn't be happier to see them lose. Civic pride will have me rooting for the Rays in the Series (I live in Tampa) but I am just glad that whoever wins the Series, it's a guarantee that it won't be the Red Sox. :P

Brice
10-20-2008, 06:29 AM
*dies* :(

turtlex
10-20-2008, 06:30 AM
: insert turtlex wondering why there is a blank space above Brice's note :

I really can't concur about the Yankees Fan thing, I'd like to be allowed to visit my family in Massachusetts. Word would certainly reach them and that I'd spoken to a YF and I'd be stopped at the border. Banned to Rhode Island.

I will just keep repeating that aberrios75 is a King fan, a King fan, a King fan.......

jayson
10-20-2008, 06:32 AM
I suppose I should spoiler tag this so Turtlex doesn't stop talking to me...

R_of_G is a lifelong Mets and Yankees fan

Brice
10-20-2008, 06:33 AM

I really can't concur about the Yankees Fan thing, I'd like to be allowed to visit my family in Massachusetts. Word would certainly reach them and that I'd spoken to a YF and I'd be stopped at the border. Banned to Rhode Island.

I will just keep repeating that aberrios75 is a King fan, a King fan, a King fan.......

Just think the important thing isn't whether the Red Sox go to the series or not, so long as the yanks don't.

jayson
10-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Just think the important thing isn't whether the Red Sox go to the series or not, so long as the yanks don't.

Yep, and with another 23 Series titles the Red Sox will have as many as the Yankees. So let's do the math, it took them 90 something years to win a total of 3, so they should catch up by what, the year 2500 or so? :P

Brice
10-20-2008, 06:34 AM

And see, we're nice to you despite this MAJOR shortcoming of yours. :grouphug: We're quite certain you yankee fans can't help it. Maybe if you tell your doc he can put you on disability for it. :lol:

jayson
10-20-2008, 06:36 AM
And see, we're nice to you despite this MAJOR shortcoming of yours. :grouphug: We're quite certain you yankee fans can't help it. Maybe if you tell your doc he can put you on disability for it. :lol:

:lol: not sure my health plan covers mental illnesses like continuing to root for losing teams.

Brice
10-20-2008, 06:36 AM

Yep, and with another 23 Series titles the Red Sox will have as many as the Yankees. So let's do the math, it took them 90 something years to win a total of 3, so they should catch up by what, the year 2500 or so? :P

You know we're cool and all and I think you're pretty awesome, but I hate you for now. :cry:

Brice
10-20-2008, 06:37 AM

:lol: not sure my health plan covers mental illnesses like continuing to root for losing teams.

It's called dementia...what you yankees fans have. :P

turtlex
10-20-2008, 06:39 AM

Ha!!! Mets and Yankees?!? Gosh, why not mention Johnny ( turtlex will no longer say his name out loud ) Damon. Or Roger ( turtlex will no longer say his name out loud ) Clemens! You're killing me, man ! We will still speak, it'll take more than that to get rid of me. :)

Yes! This is what most people do not understand about being a Red Sox fan. There is nothing so sublime as a Yankee loss. : turtlex ducks and runs for cover :

Brice
10-20-2008, 06:42 AM

Ha!!! Mets and Yankees?!? Gosh, why not mention Johnny ( turtlex will no longer say his name out loud ) Damon. Or Roger ( turtlex will no longer say his name out loud ) Clemens! You're killing me, man ! We will still speak, it'll take more than that to get rid of me. :)

Yes! This is what most people do not understand about being a Red Sox fan. There is nothing so sublime as a Yankee loss. : turtlex ducks and runs for cover :

Abolutely! In fact if forced to choose I'd choose the yankees NOT going even over the red sox going. :rofl:

aberrios75
10-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Of course the hatred goes both way and we will never submit to the other but its fun to dig the dagger in deep when you can. :nana: Even the market is celebrating the loss by being up over 100 points

jayson
10-20-2008, 06:50 AM

Because Johnny is pretty much just another in a very long string of useless outfielders signed by the Yankees for a lot more money than he is worth, and Roger, well, Roger is a cheater. I have no respect for cheaters. Roger should be shunned. When baseball acknowledges Pete Rose's accomplishments, only then will I discuss Clemens'.

You know we're cool and all and I think you're pretty awesome, but I hate you for now. :cry:

Couldn't resist that one.

Brice
10-20-2008, 06:53 AM
motherfuckin' math! <_<

jayson
10-20-2008, 06:56 AM
What was probably, for me, the best part about the Mets winning the series in '86 was that they defeated the Red Sox.

Oh, and Turtlex, you forgot to mention Wade Boggs. :P

turtlex
10-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Because Johnny is pretty much just another in a very long string of useless outfielders signed by the Yankees for a lot more money than he is worth, and Roger, well, Roger is a cheater. I have no respect for cheaters. Roger should be shunned. When baseball acknowledges Pete Rose's accomplishments, only then will I discuss Clemens'.

Okay, I love you again. :)

Nerak
10-20-2008, 08:12 AM
the Sox will ALWAYS be #1 in my eyes! They just got beat by a better team! The Rays played like a winning team! I don't hold a grudge!

And, at least it wasn't the Yankees!!!!!

CRinVA
10-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Dementia? Why is that Brice!

I have been a life long Yankee fan - I never stopped rooting in the lean years and have an absolute ball in the up years. I AM a fan for life having started at about age 5 back in the late 50's!

Maybe it's just me but I have noted something at work these last few years. I proudly wear my official NYY dugout jacket in cold weather. And more often than not I am approached (in the garage, in the elevator, in the cafeteria, ...) and given crap over wearing my jacket. Geesh. When I see a Sox fan wearing their colors proudly I do NOT go out of my way to accost them. Why would I?

It's a free world and everyone can root for whomever they choose. The only ones I can't stand totally are the fair weather fans, you know, the ones that jump on the bandwagon when a team is winning. Gee TB couldn't seel half their seats all season long and they had to add seats up in the stratosphere for these last few games. Yes of course there were plenty of Red Sox fans there, but I would venture a guess that the number of Rays fans increased much significantly!

Am I glad the Rays won last nigt - of course! Did the Red Sox play well - of course!!! Was this game a nail biter - you betcha! Do the Red Sox need manny - no way - I don;'t care how good of a player he is, the man has issues. Yeah he helped the Dodgers and it pained me to konw that Joe Torre had to be his manager, but Joe handled it well as he is one smooth cookie. give Manny a few years and Dodger Management will hate him too! When you are that good you need to step up and be a leader not a cy baby!

The Rays have become the real deal and I absolutely believe that the AL East is by far the toughest leadgue in MLB. Already looking forward to next year.

And I'll even give credit where it's due - Pedroia should get the league 2008 MVP! For a little guy he can produce - officially they say 5'9" and 180 Lbs. No freaking way - he is no more than 5'7" and no more than 170 Lbs max! But can he ever play baseball! All that coming from a Yankee fan!

If the Sox, Rays and Yankees are all healthy next year it will be one awesome season!!!!

Now if the Rays can only beat the Phillies - after all I am an American League fan!!!!!!

Brice
10-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Dementia? Why is that Brice!

I have been a life long Yankee fan - I never stopped rooting in the lean years and have an absolute ball in the up years. I AM a fan for life having started at about age 5 back in the late 50's!

Maybe it's just me but I have noted something at work these last few years. I proudly wear my official NYY dugout jacket in cold weather. And more often than not I am approached (in the garage, in the elevator, in the cafeteria, ...) and given crap over wearing my jacket. Geesh. When I see a Sox fan wearing their colors proudly I do NOT go out of my way to accost them. Why would I?

It's a free world and everyone can root for whomever they choose. The only ones I can't stand totally are the fair weather fans, you know, the ones that jump on the bandwagon when a team is winning. Gee TB couldn't seel half their seats all season long and they had to add seats up in the stratosphere for these last few games. Yes of course there were plenty of Red Sox fans there, but I would venture a guess that the number of Rays fans increased much significantly!

Am I glad the Rays won last nigt - of course! Did the Red Sox play well - of course!!! Was this game a nail biter - you betcha! Do the Red Sox need manny - no way - I don;'t care how good of a player he is, the man has issues. Yeah he helped the Dodgers and it pained me to konw that Joe Torre had to be his manager, but Joe handled it well as he is one smooth cookie. give Manny a few years and Dodger Management will hate him too! When you are that good you need to step up and be a leader not a cy baby!

The Rays have become the real deal and I absolutely believe that the AL East is by far the toughest leadgue in MLB. Already looking forward to next year.

And I'll even give credit where it's due - Pedroia should get the league 2008 MVP! For a little guy he can produce - officially they say 5'9" and 180 Lbs. No freaking way - he is no more than 5'7" and no more than 170 Lbs max! But can he ever play baseball! All that coming from a Yankee fan!

If the Sox, Rays and Yankees are all healthy next year it will be one awesome season!!!!

Now if the Rays can only beat the Phillies - after all I am an American League fan!!!!!!

Please understand, I was only playfully teasing with friends. I meant no harm or offense by it at all. And I would NEVER bother somebody about something so silly. Who you like is who you like. It's just a game really.

CRinVA
10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
No offense taken here - really! Really - I mostly take offesne at the idiots that I encounter at work that feel they have something to say to me. One time i was in the elevator and this woman - 60ish and headed to the 6th floor (upper management) made a comment as i was getting off at my stop on the 5th floor. She said, "I was going to say have a nice day, but cannot with you wearing that jacket!" I was rather astonished at her boldness but simply replied, "well you have a nice day, OK!"

Believe me if it weren't for the Red Sox (and now the Rays) AL East baseball would be boring to me.

So please contine to playfully tease away - I won't be offended.

jayson
10-20-2008, 09:11 AM
The only ones I can't stand totally are the fair weather fans, you know, the ones that jump on the bandwagon when a team is winning. Gee TB couldn't seel half their seats all season long and they had to add seats up in the stratosphere for these last few games. Yes of course there were plenty of Red Sox fans there, but I would venture a guess that the number of Rays fans increased much significantly!

As a Tampa resident, let me go ahead and verify your suspicions on this one. The vast majority of the fans in the stands these last few weeks have been bandwagon jumpers. The Rays have been in first place for months and still could not draw even half the crowd they did for the last three weeks. The second they officially made the playoffs, the seats sold out in record time.

It's pretty standard fare for Bay area sports' fans. The EXACT same thing happened several years ago when the Tampa Bay Lightning made the Stanley Cup Finals.

The one exception is football. I will never speak ill of Buccaneers fans (I've been one myself for 16 years now). Bucs fans turned out in the brutal heat and humidity for many years to watch the worst team in football and yes, when they won the Super Bowl in 2002 many non-interested parties suddenly became fans, but not nearly to the extent of what happened with the Lightning and what is currently happening with the Rays.

I've seen a LOT of Rays hats and shirts in public in the last few weeks and not one of them looks to be over a month old. Most of the hats aren't even broken in yet. My wife and I keep joking about all these "longtime" Rays fans arguing over who has been a fan longer... "Oh yeah, well I've liked the Rays since September!"

I'm sure they have some real fans, and those people should be very happy that they've supported a team from worst to first, but most of the people sitting around them in the stands are bandwagon jumpers who just go to games to say they were there.

aberrios75
10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
No offense taken here - really! Really - I mostly take offesne at the idiots that I encounter at work that feel they have something to say to me. One time i was in the elevator and this woman - 60ish and headed to the 6th floor (upper management) made a comment as i was getting off at my stop on the 5th floor. She said, "I was going to say have a nice day, but cannot with you wearing that jacket!" I was rather astonished at her boldness but simply replied, "well you have a nice day, OK!"

Believe me if it weren't for the Red Sox (and now the Rays) AL East baseball would be boring to me.

So please contine to playfully tease away - I won't be offended.

I moved to Charlotte, NC 3 years ago and its the same thing down here. I wear my Yankee hat or t-shirt and Sux fans go out of their way to say something.

Nerak
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Well, I have known Spankees fans who aren't very friendly! Try going into NY wearing anything Sox.

nt07077
10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Exactly as I predicted,,,, but yeah your right R of G. I live 25 mins from the Trop and There are tons of bandwagoners at my school who look like they just bought thier Ray gear last week. It was so easy to find tickets before the playoffs to games, now it's almost impossible.

aberrios75
10-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Well, I have known Spankees fans who aren't very friendly! Try going into NY wearing anything Sox.

You are talking about the Lions Den, I mean outside of the hotbeds NY/Boston. My wife and I were in Mexico earlier this month and there was a woman with a Yankee hat on minding her business and some random sox fan starts up with her.

Nerak
10-20-2008, 04:24 PM
But it happens the other way too. It's not just the Sox fans.