PDA

View Full Version : Odd Book Categorizations At Bookstores

turtlex
10-10-2008, 07:19 PM
The Above Poll - Consider The Question With Regards To The MAJORITY Of Your Purchases.

I just had to share this.

I just returned from getting my "exclusive" cover Barnes and Noble Long Road Home graphic novel.

Naturally, I did a little tour around the BN, and I happened upon this table.

Now - this table was labelled : ECLECTIC FICTION

I'm not sure who exactly decided on this particular catagory for the books on the table, but on the table were :

ECLECTIC FICTION ( as per BN in Montgomeryville PA )
Stephen King - The Stand
F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby
Joseph Heller - Catch 22
Kurt Vonegutt - Slaughterhouse Five
Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange
plus others I cannot recall.

I think I actually laughed out loud as I looked at the different books on the table, because to me - forget about "eclectic" those are CLASSICS !!!

Oh well, just sharing. Please use this thread to share any other odd things you might find a bookstores - national and local.

Rjeso
10-10-2008, 08:17 PM
:lol: That's a new one to me. I agree that they aren't very eclectic, but whatever, I guess.

Jean
10-10-2008, 11:15 PM
oh mahfahs

they were intelligent enough not to label King "horrors" or Heller "humor and satire" (or "military"), but not bold enough to put them with established classics

they ought to have a section "Books, you know. Just... books".

Brice
10-11-2008, 03:56 AM
I agree wholeheartedly Jean. I think we can dispense with genres and categorizations entirely and just enjoy the books for what they are. :)

bluelph24
10-11-2008, 05:34 AM
i don't know if the title 'eclectic" was refering to the books themselves or to the fact that these books were grouped together on the table. to me that grouping is mildly eclectic. i certainly don't think of the great gatsby when i see 'the stand, nor do i think of a clockwork orange when i see vonnegut. in this way, it is eclectic. to me, at least

idk, my bff jill?
10-11-2008, 07:25 AM
i don't know if the title 'eclectic" was refering to the books themselves or to the fact that these books were grouped together on the table. to me that grouping is mildly eclectic. i certainly don't think of the great gatsby when i see 'the stand, nor do i think of a clockwork orange when i see vonnegut. in this way, it is eclectic. to me, at least

Ditto.

Jean
10-11-2008, 07:49 AM
I think in this case they could think of a more appropriate word anyway, couldn't they?

alinda
10-11-2008, 08:13 AM
I get books from,
clubs, online, generous friends on DT.com, flea markets, book stores, anywhere at all! I am a fiend ! In fact at the hospital there is an old lady who walks around with donated books , I got one from her the other day...:doh:

turtlex
10-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Oh Jean - I want to open a bookstore and call it "Books, you know. Just books." I love that !

Actually, as usual I also checked out the SK books, and those were all under Fiction, which I was actually impressed with. Usually I find the DT books under "Sci-Fi/Fantasy" and most others under "Horror".

I never actually considered that the "eclectic" title could have been the gathering of the books and not the books themselves, cause that would make sense!!!

Now, I've read all those titles, and find nothing similar in them except that they are all incredibly well written, with strong character and epic archtypes.

alinda - are you back in the hospital?

Brice
10-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Oh Jean - I want to open a bookstore and call it "Books, you know. Just books." I love that !

Actually, as usual I also checked out the SK books, and those were all under Fiction, which I was actually impressed with. Usually I find the DT books under "Sci-Fi/Fantasy" and most others under "Horror".

I never actually considered that the "eclectic" title could have been the gathering of the books and not the books themselves, cause that would make sense!!!

Now, I've read all those titles, and find nothing similar in them except that they are all incredibly well written, with strong character and epic archtypes.

alinda - are you back in the hospital?

Yes, she's there alot. She works there. :)

alinda
10-12-2008, 08:21 AM
*nods up & down* work, yeah that's what I am doing ....:lol:

Daghain
10-12-2008, 11:00 AM
I've been getting the majority of my books online, lately. Today DBF and I went to B&N, and in my random wanders down the aisles I found a whole row of a classification I'd never seen before - Religious Fiction. That one was weird. Mainly because there were so many of them! :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
10-12-2008, 01:43 PM
i love religious fiction. of course it's jewish religious fiction but still. i have a whole collection about women in the torah. because of course, we don't really know how they lived. the books are fascinating. just fascinating.

i posted in another thread about how they categorize f. paul wilson's repairman jack novels. some b&n put them in horror, some in mystery, some in fiction. but do you know what i found out? it's the author and the publisher who decide where to shelve the books. seriously.

i always thought the bookstore made that decision, but someone at b&n told me that the author picks the genre in cooperation with their publisher and the bookstores have to stick with that. if they put them in the wrong place, they can get in trouble. so i wonder where repairman jack really belongs? :unsure:

turtlex
10-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I am always surprised to the point where I wonder if someone didn't wander around the BN and just gather up some books and put them on random tables... just to make me laugh.

Wonder where Sai King would put all his books? Usually I find them in Sci-Fi/Mystery/Horror or something close to that. This local BN had them all in fiction.

The Lady of Shadows
10-12-2008, 03:32 PM
I am always surprised to the point where I wonder if someone didn't wander around the BN and just gather up some books and put them on random tables... just to make me laugh.

Wonder where Sai King would put all his books? Usually I find them in Sci-Fi/Mystery/Horror or something close to that. This local BN had them all in fiction.

see, that's what i'm saying. if it's true that the author/publisher decides what category to put them in, and it's true that the store can get in trouble for not putting them there, then what's the fucking problem.

do authors simply leave all their books in the same category as the first book that came out? so their readership doesn't get confused? cause i sure as hell get confused. . . .

jhanic
10-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm usually confused.

John

The Lady of Shadows
10-12-2008, 03:52 PM
see, if john's confused what chance do us little people have? :lol:

turtlex
10-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Sure, where goes John, so goes the rest of us.

Daghain
10-12-2008, 08:53 PM
And now you know why I buy my books online. It's quicker. :lol:

And I wish I had remembered the author of the Repairman Jack novels this afternoon - I might have picked one up. But seriously, I have like 27 books on the shelf right now that have not been read, and I'm still rereading all my King (funny how I thought that would only take a year!).

turtlex
10-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Daggers - why not pick one of those unread ones and run on over to the book club thread and suggest it, then join us.

I typically buy my books at Amazon... but I have been known to spend three or four hours in a Borders, just being there.

Brice
10-13-2008, 04:47 PM
I used to stay in Waldenbooks from before they opened till after they closed. :lol:

...and no, I didn't work there.

Daghain
10-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Daggers - why not pick one of those unread ones and run on over to the book club thread and suggest it, then join us.

I typically buy my books at Amazon... but I have been known to spend three or four hours in a Borders, just being there.

I'm not fan of book clubs - reminds me too much of college. :lol:

Besides, I like to read at my own pace - sometimes I can run through five books in a week and sometimes it takes a month - it all depends on my mood. :)

jessamine
10-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I didn't vote in the poll because I collect books almost equally from the choices listed. It doesn't matter how I get them as long as I get them, if ya know what I mean.
I noticed the "eclectic fiction" table at B&N the other day myself. The new to town, big, beautiful book store.

turtlex
10-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I didn't vote in the poll because I collect books almost equally from the choices listed. It doesn't matter how I get them as long as I get them, if ya know what I mean.
I noticed the "eclectic fiction" table at B&N the other day myself. The new to town, big, beautiful book store.

Do you recall what books were on the table... I wonder now if the table and the books there are a Corporate thing!

And, welcome to the site!

jessamine
10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Thank you for the welcome.
I only remember the Vonegutt and a slim volume by Michael Chabon. I'm pretty sure The Stand wasn't there as I would have been tempted to pick it up as I haven't read it yet.
I will pay more attention next time. Which will hopefully be soon.

Sam
10-19-2008, 06:45 PM
I like to hang out in BN and Borders. I just wish they discounted their books the way Media Play used to. Don't know if y'all are familiar with Media Play or not, but it was the shit!! Music, movies, and books all under one roof and all with some sort of discount. My wife and I LOVED IT!!!:excited: And then it went and closed.:cry:

Ruthful
10-19-2008, 10:06 PM
I've never heard of "eclectic fiction." Although, in some larger versions of B&N they've started to include a "Death and Disease" section, which is always comforting.

In answer to your question, "all of the above," with the exception of the Internet. I've never purchased a book online. I tried to reserve a book from the Borders website-which I intended to pick up at their Manhattan location once it was in stock-but that endeavor met with failure. Eventually, I just reserved it in the BPL.

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Although, it must be said that I don't mind accepting books bought for me online.

http://apps.facebook.com/socialcal/?x=0&ref=&sc_op=showView&sc_v=wishlist&sc_wl_id=70387

*hint*

Heather19
10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Most of my books come from either Amazon or Borders. Both places always seem to have good deals, and I love the rewards program that Borders has. I don't think I've paid full price for a book in a long time. And since Borders has opened up by me, I don't think I've gone into Barnes & Noble once.

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 02:19 PM
I think there are only two Borders' stores left in New York City after the September 11th massacres, but it must be said that they have a much better selection than your average Barnes & Noble. The one in lower Manhattan had something like ten or eleven of Thomas Sowell's books/monographs, which I've never seen in any bookstore, even Strand. Another complaint I have is the now twenty-seven dollar fee you have to pay in order to get a discount card. I've never heard of any other store gouging you to that extent simply in order to get into their advantage program.

Heather19
10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Another complaint I have is the now twenty-seven dollar fee you have to pay in order to get a discount card. I've never heard of any other store gouging you to that extent simply in order to get into their advantage program.

Well at least you've got a couple. They just opened one up by me earlier this year. Before that I had to go to this tiny Waldenbooks in our mall which was so tiny they had barely anything in stock.

Is that how much it is for Barnes & Noble? I think it's ridiculous for you to have to pay money to join a rewards program. And how good are the actual discounts that you get for being a member?

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 02:34 PM
10 percent for most items, a little bit more for best-sellers. Still, the way it works out the only thing you're saving is the sales tax. I only renewed it because I shop there so often.

Is Waldenbooks still around?

Heather19
10-20-2008, 02:42 PM
I think they're all pretty much closing down. That was the last one out by me, but once Borders went in they disappeared.

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
According to the Internetz, they are now a subsidiary of Borders.

jhanic
10-20-2008, 03:53 PM
A few years ago the renamed the Waldenbooks near me to Borders Express. The selections stayed pretty much the same, though.

John

IWasSentWest
10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
I was at the BN in Florence the other week and took my usual journey straight to the fantasy section (its always my first stop). I was looking down the aisles and what not, and hadn't quite reached the fantasy dept. when i saw The Dark Tower series in the most bizarre section. I looked up to see what the aisle was, and was expecting fantasy, sci-fi, drama even. It was under horror.

Now you may say it was just a mistake. but they had every book, alphabetized and in order. im talking 3 gunslingers, followed by 4 DOTT, followed by 3 the wastelands, etc.....i dont see how anybody could have let that slip. somebody should've seen it

Daghain
10-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Maybe it's because all of SK's other stuff is generally considered horror.

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
The only sections in which I've seen them place Stephen King's novels-including The Dark Tower- are "Horror" and "Fiction/Literature." Even "On Writing," which is non-fiction, is in the same spot. Putting TDT and the rest of his work into separate sections would just confuse customers.

Daghain
10-20-2008, 04:22 PM
I'd totally agree with that. :)

IWasSentWest
10-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I wanted to hang myself, if only i'd of had a rope. I don't think 90% of king books are actually 100% horror IMO

Daghain
10-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Honestly, the ONLY book I have never finished is Blood Meridian. I am sure that if there is a Hell, and I end up there, the library will be filled only with books by Cormac McCarthy. *shudder*

Jean
10-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Honestly, the ONLY book I have never finished is Blood Meridian. I am sure that if there is a Hell, and I end up there, the library will be filled only with books by Cormac McCarthy. *shudder*
... and his epigons
::evil laugh::

jhanic
10-21-2008, 04:00 AM
I wanted to hang myself, if only i'd of had a rope. I don't think 90% of king books are actually 100% horror IMO

I think the problem is that, especially for the people who've never read King, all his works are considered horror.

John

turtlex
10-21-2008, 04:08 AM

I think the problem is that, especially for the people who've never read King, all his works are considered horror.

John

This is so true. Most people think "The Shining" or "Cujo" ... and usually they think of the movies. When I mention Dark Tower, the first question they always ask is "How scary is it?". When I first proposed listening to DT on cd for our cross country trip, my girlfriend said "I don't really like horror". I told her to trust me, that she'd love the story and now she's a Junkie too !

stone, rose, unfound door
10-22-2008, 05:20 AM

John

That's exactly how it works. I used to work in an English bookshop and I complained to people working in the 'fiction' department because I just didn't get the point of putting all King in the same place, especially since that place was the 'horror' section. None of them had ever read him but they said that fans usually went straight to that part of the store (that was one shelf away from fantasy, anyway) and that people who wanted to try and read him went there too coz they'd seen movies and horror stuff 'inspired' by him.
'On writing' was in the 'reference' section though, which was great.
They didn't listen to my complaints and move King's books, though :( But I got one to read Rage and I was pretty glad coz she said it was fine ^^

Jean
10-22-2008, 06:18 AM
a few times I saw King placed just right... for example, last June in Waterstones (the one in Oxford Street / Charing Cross Road, London, England): they had a separate set of shelves entitled:
STEPHEN KING

jayson
10-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Someone should add an "all of the above" option to the poll in this thread as I acquire books through all of the listed choices.

turtlex
10-22-2008, 08:18 AM
a few times I saw King placed just right... for example, last June in Waterstones (the one in Oxford Street / Charing Cross Road, London, England): they had a separate set of shelves entitled:
STEPHEN KING

When I was on vacation in Maine... he was always under "Maine Writers".

Jean
10-22-2008, 08:29 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif
it's wonderful! like exhibition of local artists' landscapes in the town hall, or Squash Amazingly Shaped like Capitol, grown by Local Housewife.

The Lady of Shadows
10-22-2008, 01:42 PM

it's wonderful! like exhibition of local artists' landscapes in the town hall, or Squash Amazingly Shaped like Capitol, grown by Local Housewife.

i swear to gan we need to forward these two posts to ms. mod so she can give them to sai king. they were funny as hell when read together! :lol:
of course, it could be that i need to eat something now. . . . :unsure:

Arthur Heath
10-22-2008, 02:03 PM
This should be a multiple choice poll. I get books online (amazon), nation wide chains (Barnes and Nobles) and privately held stores (the largest privately owned bookstore in the nation, Powells).

turtlex
10-22-2008, 02:28 PM

i swear to gan we need to forward these two posts to ms. mod so she can give them to sai king. they were funny as hell when read together! :lol:
of course, it could be that i need to eat something now. . . . :unsure:

Low blood sugar can be a dangerous thing :D

This should be a multiple choice poll. I get books online (amazon), nation wide chains (Barnes and Nobles) and privately held stores (the largest privately owned bookstore in the nation, Powells).

Actually, I kind of added the poll as a secondary thing. I hardly go into book stores anymore. I'm usually on Amazon. Only reason I was actually in a store was because I wanted to be sure to get the limited edition hard covers of LRH.

The Lady of Shadows
10-22-2008, 05:10 PM
i don't know turtlex, the whole "sai king as local housewife who grows squash shaped like capitol" is still pretty fucking funny to me. but then, i'm sort of, well, :orely:

you understand, right?

:couple:

Jean
10-22-2008, 11:25 PM
This should be a multiple choice poll.
Yes, it should. I'll see what can be done.

turtlex
10-23-2008, 02:48 AM
i don't know turtlex, the whole "sai king as local housewife who grows squash shaped like capitol" is still pretty fucking funny to me. but then, i'm sort of, well, :orely:

you understand, right?

:couple:

Oh for sure, I laughed out loud. Cracked me up.

Especially since, while in Maine and hunting around bookstores ( looking for that first edition of Gunslinger accidently left over - yea right ) I could never seem to locate Sai King where I thought he'd be. My girl would have to go one place and I'd go the other.

He was under "Local Writers" and "Maine Writers" every.flipping.time!