PDA

View Full Version : Any one a Frank Herbert fan? Dune?

Mordred Deschain
06-21-2007, 02:29 PM
I cry your pardon if this topic has already been posted.

Dune is one of my top favorite books. I really like the story and how it continued. However, I think his son (Brian Herbert) and Kevin J. Anderson are making the new books ruint!

Anyone else?

ZoNeSeeK
06-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Its also one of mine, i recently read the wiki synopsis of all books to refresh my memory as its been a while and as you know they become very convoluted in the last 2-3 or so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_series

I want to re-read them all again, and then read some of his son's work as i havent read any of that.

Chassit
06-22-2007, 06:37 AM
I LOVED Dune and couldn't get through the first chapter of any of the others...

XIX

Mordred Deschain
06-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Dune is another series that I got so indepth that I started using the language in the book. Started calling my work uniform my stilsuit, my pencil my crysnife, and up until I re-read the Dark Tower, when I refered to god I would say Shaitten, now I say Gan.
Frank Herbert wrote I think 7 of them, then his son took over. His son meshed his own ideas into the series and pretty much has created a conundrum of unexplained events and more questions about the series than there ever was. It's kind of like the newer Star Wars movies (eps.1-3) with a lot of unanswered questions or things that just don't add up to eps. 4-6.

Erin
06-23-2007, 07:13 PM
You know, I don't know a bit about the Dune books, but know several people who are fans. What is the basic premise of the story?

Mordred Deschain
06-24-2007, 02:00 PM
You know, I don't know a bit about the Dune books, but know several people who are fans. What is the basic premise of the story?

Heh....Okay first, it is a sci-fi, and it has it's awards as one of the best sci-fi stories that were created. If you're not interested in the reading, rent the 1984 David Lynch movie (Dune) or the sci-fi channels Dune and Children of Dune. Neither do the book justice, but you will get the basic premis.

It takes place, I think about 20,000 years in the future. The story is basically about a family (Great Houses kind of like kings and dukes and such) which has to move from their home planet to a desert planet (not unlike Tatooine from Star Wars). There's a plot by the emporer and another great house family to destroy the first mentioned family. The planet "Dune" or Arrakis has NO water. There are giant worms that the native people refer to as their god, or a form of their god. There's also a chemical substance called Melange or Spice, which elevates ones perception, has geriatrich purposes, and turns your eyes blue. This "spice" becomes a key role in the survival of the family that had to move to Dune. And actually, Wiki could probably explain it more. I don't know how to explain it without spoilers. The bigger part is how Frank Herbert wrote it. It's a very deep story with alot of hidden undertones. But, if you read it, I recommend the original by Frank Herbert and stay away from the books written by his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. They did a lot of prequel stuff and it messes up the original story.

ZoNeSeeK
06-24-2007, 03:40 PM
The series is essentially about House Atreides and the Spice - this drug that is able to push humanity into further stages (its an interesting look at a possible future, you might say), and its also about how power amongst humanity moves and evolves and what factions vie for it. A well-known quote from the series is something like "He who controls Dune controls the Spice, and whoever controls the Spice controls the universe". The spice is singularly the most valuable commodity to have ever existed, and how it changes people and people's minds is explored further in the series. The spice is also crucial for the Spacing Guild (responsible for all long distance travel) guildmasters to pilot their frigates and ships through space-time over vast distances - without the spice, the universe grinds to a halt.

Its got a nice blend of feudal style politics and insanely futuristic concepts (both technologically and in the way people are organised and society is structured). Frank Herbert has a very unique imagination. Once you get used to his encompassing style of writing (he tends to focus on individual powerful characters and events which they are directly involved in, but other events of massive magnitude he can introduce with an off-hand mention which can be confusing if you're not paying attention) it becomes very enjoyable - he doesn't stick to conventional methods I dont think.

Mordred Deschain
06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
The series is essentially about House Atreides and the Spice - this drug that is able to push humanity into further stages (its an interesting look at a possible future, you might say), and its also about how power amongst humanity moves and evolves and what factions vie for it. A well-known quote from the series is something like "He who controls Dune controls the Spice, and whoever controls the Spice controls the universe". The spice is singularly the most valuable commodity to have ever existed, and how it changes people and people's minds is explored further in the series. The spice is also crucial for the Spacing Guild (responsible for all long distance travel) guildmasters to pilot their frigates and ships through space-time over vast distances - without the spice, the universe grinds to a halt.

Its got a nice blend of feudal style politics and insanely futuristic concepts (both technologically and in the way people are organised and society is structured). Frank Herbert has a very unique imagination. Once you get used to his encompassing style of writing (he tends to focus on individual powerful characters and events which they are directly involved in, but other events of massive magnitude he can introduce with an off-hand mention which can be confusing if you're not paying attention) it becomes very enjoyable - he doesn't stick to conventional methods I dont think.

That was better than mine! You ever hear about the fight between Frank Herbert and George Lucas? Dealing with how much Tatooine is very much like the planet Dune (or Arrakis).

ZoNeSeeK
06-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Really?

Was this after A New Hope was released?

I dont know why Herbert would have gone mental about it - if there were sandworms on tattooine too then I could understand, but theres not.

ZoNeSeeK
06-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Oh here we go - shit, theres alot more detail copied than i though - i think Lucas was trying to pay homage, to a degree. But fuck, if I was herbert and saw the last three movies that Lucas has released, i would go batshit at him aswell. Some of the detail is relative common sense, though.

http://www.spookybug.com/origins/dune.html

I used to like star wars, when it was the initial 3 movies that were actually done well. Fuck knows what happened with the more recent ones. The entire atmosphere and mood created in 4-6 was turned into bubblegum. These movies should have been far darker and more ominous than they were - perhaps it was the cute little droids with comical faces? Or jaja? Or the shithouse dawsons creek acting?

Jean
06-24-2007, 09:04 PM
ZoNeSeek and Mordred: you're the greatest reviewers alive! You've managed to make Dune so much better than it was when I read it, that I actually want to re-read it now - and you gave all the essential stuff without a single spoiler! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Erin
06-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks guys :thumbsup: Those were great reviews. I'm super excited to read the book now, it sounds quite intriguing. I'll have to check out the movie as well.

OchrisO
06-25-2007, 02:27 AM
Thanks guys :thumbsup: Those were great reviews. I'm super excited to read the book now, it sounds quite intriguing. I'll have to check out the movie as well.

There's a pretty good miniseries that sci-fi did as well(I like it anyway). I have it somewhere if you want to borrow it sometime, I can look for it.

OchrisO
06-25-2007, 02:31 AM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/dunecat.jpg

Mordred Deschain
06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
The mini-series is Dune and Children of Dune by the sci-fi network. the mini follows the book more. However, the 1984 David Lynch version is....well, it's David Lynch. Focuses more on the drug and trippie aspect of the "spice". The movie also has Sting in it as a main villian.

The reason why Herbert was trying to sue Lucas, is more of a timing issue. He wrote Dune at about the same time Star Wars ep4 was done. Herbert believes(d) that Lucas stole his creative master piece. Tatooine and Dune are all desert. The moister collectors Luke has to repair are similiar to the ones in Dune (called wind traps). The desert people of Tatooine are silimiar to the Fremen in Dune. And Mos Isley (space port) is like the main city in Dune (Arrakeen).

Hey thanks, I can't believe I've read Dune so many times and I feel like I failed in the explanation! I say Thankie-sai!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/frementag.jpg

ZoNeSeeK
07-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah it is a hard series to explain .. and keep in mind the books don't follow conventional timing, the events of the last two are thousands of years past the events of the first three.

Its a bold project, looking at humanity tens of thousands of years from today, and the resulting complexity of the series is warranted I think :P

Ive got the complete dune encyclopedia at home, which is extremely handy to have when understanding the Dune universe. If you guys do end up reading it and have any queries I can look them up for you.

The mini series and children of dune mini series are factual as the books go - the Lynch film is based on the Dune book, but much of it is different.

An accurate remake could be done with todays CGI that would be amazing :)

Mordred Deschain
07-04-2007, 04:06 AM
Yeah it is a hard series to explain .. and keep in mind the books don't follow conventional timing, the events of the last two are thousands of years past the events of the first three.

Its a bold project, looking at humanity tens of thousands of years from today, and the resulting complexity of the series is warranted I think :P

Ive got the complete dune encyclopedia at home, which is extremely handy to have when understanding the Dune universe. If you guys do end up reading it and have any queries I can look them up for you.

The mini series and children of dune mini series are factual as the books go - the Lynch film is based on the Dune book, but much of it is different.

An accurate remake could be done with todays CGI that would be amazing :)

Before I came onto this forum, I was all over 2 or 3 Dune forums. There's been talk of a new movie, but not sure if it's going to happen. I mean, Frank has entered the clearing at the end of his path and it's all on Brian Herbert's shoulders. A bunch of us hardcore dune fans are scared what might happen. However, like you said, with cgi the way it is now, should be pretty cool to re-do Dune.

ZoNeSeeK
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
YARP!

nyy3723a
07-11-2007, 05:53 AM
I've read and liked all the Dune books, both by FH and his son and Kevin Anderson. The way I look at them is that the first six written by FH are the cannon and the sequels/prequels are part of an expanded universe, not part of true cannon but close enough to pay attention to.

Mordred Deschain
07-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I've read and liked all the Dune books, both by FH and his son and Kevin Anderson. The way I look at them is that the first six written by FH are the cannon and the sequels/prequels are part of an expanded universe, not part of true cannon but close enough to pay attention to.

I say true! I agree. That's actually a good explanation.

Vasagi
07-25-2007, 01:03 PM

Dune is one of my top favorite books. I really like the story and how it continued. However, I think his son (Brian Herbert) and Kevin J. Anderson are making the new books ruint!

Anyone else?

I wasn't gonna register here ... then I saw this thread. Now I've got a discussion I can jump right in to :D

The first 6 of the series, IMO, were all masterpieces though some were better than others. Frank Herbert made a deep, complex universe with interesting characters and intricate political situations. It's not really "easy" reading at all, but it's *very* rewarding. You get involved with the main characters ... the heroes are vulnerable ... the villians are power-mad ... and the schemes are ... intricate. Like The Dark Tower, you love and you hate the characters.

The prequels that Brian Herbert has been writing are ... well ... not that good. They're just caricatures of his father's work. The schemes are obvious ... the characters are your plain old "knight in shining armor" and the "villian in the black hat".

The difference is there, but it's really subtle and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Some of the prequels were interesting ... in that you got to see some of Frank's characters expanded upon ... but nothing really deep was added. It's like comparing the original 3 star wars movies to the new 3 ... something's different, and the original flavor is much better.

I'm well & truly scared to see what Brian's going to do with the unwritten conclusion to the series ... Book 7 that his father died before getting a chance to pen.

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Anyone else?

I wasn't gonna register here ... then I saw this thread. Now I've got a discussion I can jump right in to :D

The first 6 of the series, IMO, were all masterpieces though some were better than others. Frank Herbert made a deep, complex universe with interesting characters and intricate political situations. It's not really "easy" reading at all, but it's *very* rewarding. You get involved with the main characters ... the heroes are vulnerable ... the villians are power-mad ... and the schemes are ... intricate. Like The Dark Tower, you love and you hate the characters.

The prequels that Brian Herbert has been writing are ... well ... not that good. They're just caricatures of his father's work. The schemes are obvious ... the characters are your plain old "knight in shining armor" and the "villian in the black hat".

The difference is there, but it's really subtle and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Some of the prequels were interesting ... in that you got to see some of Frank's characters expanded upon ... but nothing really deep was added. It's like comparing the original 3 star wars movies to the new 3 ... something's different, and the original flavor is much better.

I'm well & truly scared to see what Brian's going to do with the unwritten conclusion to the series ... Book 7 that his father died before getting a chance to pen.

Excellent description!! Frank always had plans within plans within plans. Sandworms comes out soon!! A bunch of us are trying to figure out how many characters from Brian's prequals will be involved in the last book.
Waiting for Vorian Atreides to make a re-appearance.

Vasagi
07-25-2007, 01:29 PM

Dune is all about the politics. Ingrigues and schemes and plots between the powers that be. Here's my synopsis:

Coming into Dune, the government is split into 3 factions:

1) The emperor - the commander-in-chief of the universe. Think G-Dubya with a gay haircut. He rules the most feared military force in the universe ... crossing the Emperor is usually a bad idea. Not only will he align other forces against you, but then he'll send in his Sardaukar Troops.

2) The Landsraad - A group of the major "houses" ... which are mostly planetary governments. Think Congress in the US. The people you read about are mostly the rulers of a few houses in the Landsraad. The main 2 in Dune are House Atreides (good guys) and House Harkonnen (bad guys) who have feuded for as long as anybody can remember.

3) The Spacing Guild - The group that has a monopoly on space travel. Picture Microsoft on steroids. If you want to go to another planet ... only the guild can get you there. To cover the vast distance between stars, they teleport huge starships from one place to another ... called "folding space". They need huge amounts of "Spice", called Melange to do it. Thus ... spice is the #1 commodity of the universe. Without spice, travel dies and the universe falls back to the stone ages. Spice comes from 1 planet: Arrakis aka Dune.

Dune - desert planet in the middle of nowhere, that's the ONLY place that spice comes from. Home to sandworms that like to eat big things ... and protect the spice ... picture a freight train with a hungry mouth burrowing underground. Also home to the Fremen ... a group of native humans who are basically desert nomads.

It gets complex fast ... and I'm only scratching the surface of setting up the scene. There's so many other things that go on that I can't even get into it ... schemes that are a "feint within a feint within a feint" ... and then you have to figure that the course of the 6 book series covers about 5000 years. Seriously ... I think it's between books 3 & 4 that thousands of years literally pass by.

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2007, 01:46 PM
ya, it's between Children of Dune and God Emporer of Dune where thousands of years pass. And thousands of years pass between God Emporer and Heretics of Dune. The whole Thousand sons of Idaho and the followers of Sheanna. http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/sheba1kat-img434x600-dunesticker08.jpg

parsnip
08-02-2007, 11:14 AM
I am a big fan of the original Frank Herbert Dune series. Fantastic, deeply beautiful, and insightful works, imo.

I gave up on the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson books a while back. I thought they were interesting enough, but not nearly as well written as the originals. And I have some personal opinions about how Brian has handled having the rights to his father's notes. I've been frustrated for years that he won't allow a reprinting of the Dune Encyclopedia because it wasn't something Frank Herbert wrote. And his afterwords in the books just struck me as somewhat spoiled and childish. As if being Franks son made him the BIG expert on Dune and he was doing all us readers a favor by writing the new books. He seems to claim to be a Dune purist, wanting to preserve his father's works and ideas, but in his books he inserts pieces from the original movie that never appeared in his father's books (such as the heart plug). Maybe I'm just biased against Brian, but the new books that I did read left me rather disappointed.

Mordred Deschain
08-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Oh, I whole heartedly agree with. I've been reading Brian's books, well, just because. I never noticed the heart plug thing, very interesting he'd throw that in there. I think Frank is turns in his grave everytime one of Brian and and KJA's books come out. Some of us think that Brian isn't actually doing anything and it's all Kevin's ideas.

Wuducynn
08-02-2007, 02:48 PM
I am an audio book fan and I was wondering is the Dune series on audio? Not a big, hard-core Dune fan like I am a Tower Junkie, but I do love the books. My favorites of the series being Dune and God Emperor of Dune.

Mordred Deschain
08-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Very good. I like Dune and Dune Messiah. Well, I like all the ones Frank wrote, but the first 2 always stand out in my mind. The teachings of Muad'Dib are the key to the spice and to the Fremen.

Wuducynn
08-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Very good. I like Dune and Dune Messiah. Well, I like all the ones Frank wrote, but the first 2 always stand out in my mind. The teachings of Muad'Dib are the key to the spice and to the Fremen.

Ummm there was a question in there too :P

I am an audio book fan and I was wondering is the Dune series on audio?

OchrisO
08-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Yep, there are. I just checked demonoid.com for dune audio books and there are a bunch of torrents up there.

parsnip
08-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Oh, I whole heartedly agree with. I've been reading Brian's books, well, just because. I never noticed the heart plug thing, very interesting he'd throw that in there. I think Frank is turns in his grave everytime one of Brian and and KJA's books come out. Some of us think that Brian isn't actually doing anything and it's all Kevin's ideas.

:lol: I always attributed the parts that were well written to KJA. Anything I thought sucked was like, "yup that must have been Brian's" in my head. Yeah... I think I may be more than a little biased at this point.

And Dune is most definitely available in audio format. I am also fairly certain that most larger bookstores carry it on the shelf.

Wuducynn
08-03-2007, 05:11 AM
Yep, there are. I just checked demonoid.com for dune audio books and there are a bunch of torrents up there.

Did you happen to notice whether they were abridged or not? Also, has anyone listened to them and if so what they thought of the reader?

OchrisO
08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
A number of them appear to be unabridged.

Mordred Deschain
08-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Sorry CK, I've never listened to any of them.

Scoogs
10-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I've read and enjoyed all of FH Dune books, but haven't read anything written by BH/KJA. (I did get 2 of them in the bargain bin at B&N).

I've read several other books written by KJA and am horrified that he would be allowed anywhere near the Dune universe. The man is the most pathetic hack to have ever received a writing contract. His lame, formulaic plots and characters are complete opposites of everything FH's Dune books are. BH might has well have paired up with a first grader to write more books.

On a side note, I picked up several of FH's other books a library sale yesterday. Has anyone read any of his other work?

ZoNeSeeK
10-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I am a big fan of the original Frank Herbert Dune series. Fantastic, deeply beautiful, and insightful works, imo.

I gave up on the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson books a while back. I thought they were interesting enough, but not nearly as well written as the originals. And I have some personal opinions about how Brian has handled having the rights to his father's notes. I've been frustrated for years that he won't allow a reprinting of the Dune Encyclopedia because it wasn't something Frank Herbert wrote. And his afterwords in the books just struck me as somewhat spoiled and childish. As if being Franks son made him the BIG expert on Dune and he was doing all us readers a favor by writing the new books. He seems to claim to be a Dune purist, wanting to preserve his father's works and ideas, but in his books he inserts pieces from the original movie that never appeared in his father's books (such as the heart plug). Maybe I'm just biased against Brian, but the new books that I did read left me rather disappointed.

Hrm, i've read some Kevin Anderson and its pretty light and simplistic writing - I don't see how that style could do the Dune universe justice, really. Its like Dean Koonts compared to Stephen King.

ZoNeSeeK
10-21-2007, 06:31 PM
I've read and enjoyed all of FH Dune books, but haven't read anything written by BH/KJA. (I did get 2 of them in the bargain bin at B&N).

I've read several other books written by KJA and am horrified that he would be allowed anywhere near the Dune universe. The man is the most pathetic hack to have ever received a writing contract. His lame, formulaic plots and characters are complete opposites of everything FH's Dune books are. BH might has well have paired up with a first grader to write more books.

On a side note, I picked up several of FH's other books a library sale yesterday. Has anyone read any of his other work?

Yes, I agree with you about the KJA stuff.

I think they should have just left the Dune universe alone, i mean the 6 book series was complete.

CRinVA
10-23-2007, 06:07 AM
I actually love all the Dune books. I was hooked on Dune once I read the first book.

There appears to be two groups of Dune fans - those that love the Frank Herbert books and hate the Bryan Herbert/Kevin J Anderson books; and htose that like them all. I fall into thte latter category.

I have been to signings/readings with both Bryan Herbert and KJ Anderson present adn I truly belive that they each wrote their separate parts - Anderson handles the more hard core SciFi parts, the great battles, etc, and Brian H ahndles the parts that focus on theology, philospphy, ecology, ...

I think they work well together and I truly have enjoyed all 14 books. There are actually three more coming to fill in some of the gaps in time during the Paul Atreides / Irulan lifetime!

I loved the original Dune movie (with Sting) but probalby becasue I had read Dune a half dozen times. In two hours lynch had to cut so much of the story that movie goers (who had not read Dune) were totally lost as to what what really going on! I enjoyed the directors cut of Dune and Children of Dune (Sci Fi Channel) immensely!

A curious tale of Dune - Frank Herbert shopped his novel to all the big publishers of the tiem and was rejected over and again! Finally a comnpany called Chilton bought and published Dune, which has since become the best selling SciFi novel of all time. Dune has redefined how scifi is written and for good reason. Frank Herbert was a genius! The funny thing about this story - Chilton is best known for publishing automotive maintenance manuals! If you ever come across a first edition Dune (not the book club edition) hang onto it tight - it will be worth a small fortune!

Mike Beck
10-23-2007, 06:26 AM
I am a complete nerd for this series. the Herbert ones, not his son and that other guy.

Frank Herbert's writing could never be duplicated. I read House Atreides and it was ....OK, but i didn't care to read any after that. It felt hollow and forced.

God Emperor of Dune is maybe the best. And even though it's hard for me to leave the Atreides years, I love Heretics and Chapterhouse. The Honored Matres were some serious muthers. Miles Teg is my hero, and Duncan Idaho is my best friend.

I look forward to Sandworms, but I'm a little nervous. :(

ZoNeSeeK
10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Mike: yeah, i loved the last 2 aswell, the plots of the bene gesserit and the honoured matres were vicious :)

Mordred Deschain
10-23-2007, 05:09 PM
I am a complete nerd for this series. the Herbert ones, not his son and that other guy.

Frank Herbert's writing could never be duplicated. I read House Atreides and it was ....OK, but i didn't care to read any after that. It felt hollow and forced.

God Emperor of Dune is maybe the best. And even though it's hard for me to leave the Atreides years, I love Heretics and Chapterhouse. The Honored Matres were some serious muthers. Miles Teg is my hero, and Duncan Idaho is my best friend.

Dude like I said I'll send you Sandworms for free! Wait to you find out who the ultimate KH is.

CRinVA
10-24-2007, 06:03 AM

Dude like I said I'll send you Sandworms for free! Wait to you find out who the ultimate KH is.

The ultimate KH!

Yep that totally caught me off guard - wasn't even on my radar screen! But gee does it ever make senses or what!

The actions of Serena Butler's nemesis also caught me unaware! Just loved it though!

cozener
10-24-2007, 09:23 AM

Anyone else?

Oh don't get me started. DON'T GET ME STARTED!!! :angry: :pullhair: :onfire:

Ah shit. I'm already started.

Kevin and Brian suck. They suck like nothing has ever sucked before. As I've stated over at Arrakeen, the only good thats come from these two assholes' "work" is that their dragging the Duniverse down into the depths of mediocrity has assured that Frank Herbert's fear that people will begin to see Dune as some kind of religion will never be realized.

Otherwise, fuck those hacks! Fuck 'em Fuck 'em FUCK 'EM!

...and with no lube.

*pants*

So there.

CRinVA
10-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Gee I hope you feel better now!

Jean
10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
yes, Cozener has certainly added some animation. I hope his common sense and good taste won't let him misuse those expressive linguistic means. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Arthur Heath
10-24-2007, 12:34 PM
This is awesome. Just absolutely brilliant. I LOVE A GOOD RANT! Wow, what form. What style. If I can just get past all the f bombs, what you are saying is that the majority of people who are not familiar with Frank Herbert see him as the new L. Ron Hubbard?

Mordred Deschain
10-24-2007, 01:50 PM

The ultimate KH!

Yep that totally caught me off guard - wasn't even on my radar screen! But gee does it ever make senses or what!

The actions of Serena Butler's nemesis also caught me unaware! Just loved it though!

It made sense when Frank was alive and before Brian and KJA got ahold of the story. I love all the books done by Frank from Dune to Chapterhouse (however Chapterhouse is when I felt like things started to change). All the pre-story line books that Brian wrote, didn't make any sense and it seems like he was fishing for his dads idea. Hunters and Sandworms suck! I know that some of the story line is kind of alright, but for anyone that has finished this series (meaning Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune) the ending is a complete waste of the original work. I don't even know how to describe it except, yes, there was a twist at the end, but then Brian and KJA tried to make the happiest ending ever made in writing. Way beyond "living happily ever after"! I really expected something different. that's my 2 cents.

PS: Mike, Miles Teg was an Atreides whore who was manipulated by the Bene Gesserit. Duncan is awesome however! :)

cozener
10-24-2007, 02:42 PM
what you are saying is that the majority of people who are not familiar with Frank Herbert see him as the new L. Ron Hubbard? Lol. I suppose that was what he was afraid of...or something like it.

Mordred Deschain
10-25-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm going to start a new religion, and we are going to use are woman to produce clones of ourselves and live forever.

cozener
10-25-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm going to start a new religion, and we are going to use are woman to produce clones of ourselves and live forever. Dunenetics?

Mordred Deschain
10-25-2007, 10:21 AM
:lol: YUPP!

ZoNeSeeK
10-25-2007, 03:09 PM
/me puts up hand to be in the "breeding programs"

:D

cozener
10-25-2007, 07:25 PM
I'll volunteer to be a practice subject for the "imprinters"

Mordred Deschain
10-26-2007, 07:19 AM
I just want the spice!!!

ZoNeSeeK
01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Bump - here you go Cozener

Mike Beck
01-09-2008, 07:19 PM
i love these damn books. the frank herbert ones. not his son's attempts. ;)

cozener
01-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Bump - here you go Cozeneroops, I forgot about this thread...I even posted in it. I gotta cut back on the...um...melange. :cool:

ZoNeSeeK
01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
hehe, thats ok:)

i need to get hold of Dune4, i cant find it at home anywhere and really need to start reading it before all of the complex Golden Path shit flies out of my drugfucked head.

Mike Beck
01-14-2008, 05:51 AM
god emperor is maybe the best volume. have you read it before, Zone? is this yer first read through?

cozener
01-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Funny God Emperor should come up. I happen to be reading it now. And I agree, it is the best except, perhaps, the original. I've re-read GEoD more than any of the others.

Mike Beck
01-14-2008, 09:53 AM
the original is amazing, and children of dune comes in close on the top of my list, but god emperor, like you, is one that i keep going back to in my re-reads.

cozener
01-14-2008, 10:09 AM
For me, I think its because this book goes into a lot of political and social commentary. Its like a showcase of Herbert's views on a lot of subjects, the effect that certain actions have on humanity as a whole, and how humanity needs to start thinking in the long term instead of just to the end of the individual's lifespan...all told to us through Leto II. The other books do this to different extents but GEoD seems to be dedicated to this purpose; that and staging The Scattering, pre-explaining this huge event that we never actually see.

Wuducynn
01-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Dune and God Emperor of Dune are my favorites of the series. :cool:

ZoNeSeeK
01-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Mike: yeah ive read the series a couple of times, but not for a few years though and I've found I have a much better understanding of it this time around.

On that note though I couldnt find my copy of God Emperor :( will have to buy it again i think

Children of Dune would be my favourite, id say.

childeluke
01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Love dune...LOVE. I finished the new one this summer. Cant' wait for Paul of Dune. Brian Herbert does a decent job...but i haven't read his House books yet.

childeluke
01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Children is definite favorite

ATG
01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Isn't this the series that spawned Scientology?

Then down with it!

ATG
01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Kidding.

I tried to read the books but couldn't catch the drift.

ZoNeSeeK
01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
No.. its L Ron Hubbard that spawned Scientology, Frank Herbert has nothin to do with the cult :)

cozener
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Love dune...LOVE. I finished the new one this summer. Cant' wait for Paul of Dune. Brian Herbert does a decent job...but i haven't read his House books yet.

*cringes...rolls around on the floor, biting his tongue...begins to foam at the mouth and shake uncontrollably*

Mike Beck
01-22-2008, 06:03 AM
yes, i think a lot of us feel that way about brian herbert's involvement with his father's work. :P

CRinVA
01-22-2008, 06:56 AM
You either like Brian Herbet/Kevin J Anderson or you don't - there appears to be no middle ground. Personally, I like all the books. I loved the development and ongoing story of Erasmus and General Agamemnon!

cozener
01-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Actually I liked the character of Erasmus too. There's a pearl or two in ever piece of poop I guess.

Mike Beck
01-22-2008, 07:31 AM
:rofl:

I only read the first two house books and gave up. never even bothered to try the butlerian jihad/machine crusade business. I can almost deal with the two prequel trilogies, but to have him try and wrap up the original series makes me uncomfortable and doubtful. of course, i'm going to read it anyway, but i'm not expecting anything good.

childeluke
01-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Butlerian Jihad is more of a "classic" scifi epic. I enjoyed them, although they are nowhere near as deep as Frank's work. Give them a shot.

cozener
01-25-2008, 04:25 AM
By "classic sci fi" do you mean cheap, badly planned, and completely inconsistent with the works its based on? Yeah...I read Butlerian Jihad...and I wish to god that I hadn't. As far as I'm concerned there's only six Dune books...maybe seven if you count the Dune Encyclopedia (which I think is a hell of a lot closer to Dune canon than anything put out by Herbert's kid and Kevin Anderson. To me, classic sci fi is the orginal Dune, Asimov's Foundation, and Well's War of the Worlds.

That said, I concede that there are some decent parts. I did enjoy the parts that dealt with the Fremen quite a bit. In fact, the Fremen parts are the only sections of BJ that I consider worthy. I wish they could make a book with only those parts in it. There's just enough there for a decent novel. I also enjoyed the character of Erasmus but not enough to like how machines were used in the story. Pretty much all else was poop. The events of the Battle of Corrin particularly pissed me off. It was like the cherry on top of the pie. Only in this case it was cowpie.

Yes...I'm a rabid Talifan. :shoot:

Mordred Deschain
01-27-2008, 05:30 PM
I've read em all just because I'm a Dune Junkie!

Wuducynn
01-28-2008, 04:53 PM

Which are you more a Dune Junkie or a Tower Junkie?

Wuducynn
01-28-2008, 04:58 PM

*cringes...rolls around on the floor, biting his tongue...begins to foam at the mouth and shake uncontrollably*

But Cozener do you like his writing?

ZoNeSeeK
01-28-2008, 09:17 PM
The Dune Encyclopedia is awesome, ive fucking lent it to someone and cant remember who! At times its useful as the series can get a little complex, and I find the motivations for many of the characters a little alien.

Wuducynn
01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
The Dune Encyclopedia is awesome, ive fucking lent it to someone and cant remember who! At times its useful as the series can get a little complex, and I find the motivations for many of the characters a little alien.

That was me and you're not getting it back so you might as well just forget about it.

ZoNeSeeK
01-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Thats ok, my sweet prince.

Mordred Deschain
01-29-2008, 07:58 PM

Which are you more a Dune Junkie or a Tower Junkie?

Tower Junkie, mainly because no one ruined the story line like Dune.

ZoNeSeeK
01-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Just think of it as "requires many repeats of reading"

cozener
01-31-2008, 07:26 AM
If anyone is interested I have the Dune Encyclopedia on a pdf.

Mordred Deschain
01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
hmmmm....I'm interested. Except all of it is usually in the back of the books. Except the crap that Brian Herbert and KJA made up

Scoogs
02-02-2008, 08:27 PM
There's yet another film in the works now.
Peter Berg is set to direct, no script has been started yet. They have a list of writers they want to talk to after the strike ends.

Do we need another film version of Dune? I really don't mind the mini-series or the original film version. It would have to be at least 3 hours long to even come close to covering much of the story.

Wuducynn
02-02-2008, 09:25 PM
God no. Please. I've seen the original, and the Sci-Fi channel remake and the remake of the original. They were all awful, the original being the worst. Give it up folks. Just enjoy the books!

cozener
02-04-2008, 01:08 PM
If they want to make another Dune movie, great. Who knows? It might end up being great.

CRinVA
02-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah...I read Butlerian Jihad...and I wish to god that I hadn't.

... The events of the Battle of Corrin particularly pissed me off. It was like the cherry on top of the pie. Only in this case it was cowpie.

two questions for ya Cozener.

(1) If you hate Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson why did you read Butlerian Jihad in the first place? I am sure your mind was made up way before that during the "House of " series!

(2) and then you talk of being pissed at the events of The Battle of Corrin! If you hated the writing so much why did you invest so much time and read the Jihad trilogy if you knew you hated it after the first one? Or did you not read the new books and just state they are crap based on the little bit you did read

I am not trying to rag on anyone. I know fully well there are two camps - those that hate all but the original six, and those that don't. I just don't get it if you hate it so much (and your words suggest so) then why bother reading all of the newer stuff anyway?

Mordred Deschain
02-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I'll tell you this, I hate everything Brian and KJA had to do with Dune. They ruined the story. And I'll tell you why I read all the books. First, curiosity. Second, because they were so mindless I read each book in about a week time period, and as far as reading goes, I do not consider that invested time. I was bored anyway and had nothing to do. So I don't know what cozener's response is going to be, but that's my excuse!

OH OH OH Dune movie!! See, I actually like both versions. I mean you really have to take in consideration that the first one was made in 1984, and Lynch is the one who directed (with Frank Herbert on the set and always being in the "in") and it got pretty much ruined by the editing department. the 1984 version did the best job on the spice aspect. The sci-fi, version did the best job on relating the story, because it was longer. And they came out with Children of Dune which continued the stories, which was from the books Dune Messiah and Children of Dune I believe. Neither one was GREAT by any means, but come on, not every Stephen King movie was GREAT either.

problem is, fans. If there are not enough fans, money will not be invested in the project. And now, worst of all, Brian and KJA will probably be apart of it.

Wuducynn
02-04-2008, 05:13 PM
If they want to make another Dune movie, great. Who knows? It might end up being great.

Two attempts and a remake of the first attempt and they all suck harder than you did on your first boyfriend's cock, Cozener. Obviously, no one wants to really put the time and money behind getting it right, so they should stop trying.

Mordred Deschain
02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
That's how I see it. there's never going to be a great Dune movie. No one wants to back it.
But you just don't understand the 84 version...just have to be in the right mind state, kinda like watching wizard of oz and listening to Pink Floyd.

Wuducynn
02-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Was the remake of the original, closer to what Lynch had in mind? Because I watched about 25 minutes of it before I took it back to the store.

Mordred Deschain
02-04-2008, 08:00 PM
heh...I'm not sure. I know they added that story board at the beginning. But I don't think that's how Lynch wanted it either.

ZoNeSeeK
02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I downloaded the sci-fi channel mini series.

Waste of 3 fucking gigs. There should be a huge warning before it starts:

WARNING: ENTIRE MINI SERIES SHOT ON REALLY SHITHOUSE SETS USING REALLY SHITHOUSE LIGHTING AND COSTUMES MADE BY THE MUMS OF THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL. PAUL ATREIDES CAST INCREDIBLY POORLY. TALENTED ACTORS SUCH AS WILLIAM HURT MAKE NO DIFFERENCE TO OVERALL EFFECT (RAY OF CRAP). FUNDS AND TIME ALLOCATED FOR ADAPTING TO SCREEN: $4.25 AND 9 MINUTES. DIRECTOR HAD ALL IMAGINATION AND TALENT SUCKED OUT OF ASSHOLE BEFORE FILMING. VIEW AT OWN RISK.

I cannot even fathom why they would even bother doing Children of Dune after the entire suckfest that was the mini series. I know it was probably supposed to be low key but even the things they could have nailed they didnt. Or was it a recording of a stage play? Thats a serious question :)

ZoNeSeeK
02-04-2008, 08:14 PM

Two attempts and a remake of the first attempt and they all suck harder than you did on your first boyfriend's cock, Cozener. Obviously, no one wants to really put the time and money behind getting it right, so they should stop trying.

:lol:

I know what you mean. Its such a shame that so many people have fucked such a brilliant book up its ass.

But I'll still wait for the trailer and if it indicates that they're actually paying real actors with real talent and have real writers who can actually put a screenplay together that doesn't make me want to shank my nuts I'll be interested to see it.

OchrisO
02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I actually enjoy both the 1984 movie and the two miniseries, because I have come to terms with the fact that Hollywood will never get a book to movie concept right. That's why they call them "adaptations," so that they hjave the room to change what they feel needs to be changed. Now I try to watch stuff for the merit of the film itself. In taht regard, I have enjoyed them all. *shrug*

ZoNeSeeK
02-04-2008, 08:29 PM
I liked the movie better than the mini series, probably because of the adaptations.

Mordred Deschain
02-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I actually enjoy both the 1984 movie and the two miniseries, because I have come to terms with the fact that Hollywood will never get a book to movie concept right. That's why they call them "adaptations," so that they hjave the room to change what they feel needs to be changed. Now I try to watch stuff for the merit of the film itself. In taht regard, I have enjoyed them all. *shrug*

I keep telling myself your are my long lost twim!!!

Wuducynn
02-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Well, one good thing about the movie was that I got to laugh at Sting's "acting".

Scoogs
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
During my junior year of high school my English teacher and one other guy in my class were huge Dune fans, so my teacher worked the Lynch movie into the class schedule. I think we spent about a week on it, so he could explain everything and point out where it differed from the book, etc.

That was what sparked my interest and he's the reason I eventually read the series. Took me almost 10 years before I got around to reading them, but I did it.

cozener
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I actually saw the movie before I ever read the books so there was a lot in the books that was colored by this. For instance, Paul Atreides will always look like Kyle MacLachlan to me. This isn't true of all of the characters but he played the part so well that it stuck. Because of the movie the book had that Baroque feel to it. I think this was one of the things that made me read the book in the first place. I was intrigued by this futuristic feudal society...Houses headed by Dukes, Barons, Counts, etc. with their own private armies, Family Atomics, the Padishah Emperor and his Sardaukar. The music was powerful too. It all drew me in and added to my enjoyment of the books. But I was completely unprepared for the depth of the story as a whole and just how entertaining it actually ended up being. I still like the movie ok...enough to buy it.

Yeah...I read Butlerian Jihad...and I wish to god that I hadn't.

... The events of the Battle of Corrin particularly pissed me off. It was like the cherry on top of the pie. Only in this case it was cowpie.

two questions for ya Cozener.

(1) If you hate Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson why did you read Butlerian Jihad in the first place? I am sure your mind was made up way before that during the "House of " series!

(2) and then you talk of being pissed at the events of The Battle of Corrin! If you hated the writing so much why did you invest so much time and read the Jihad trilogy if you knew you hated it after the first one? Or did you not read the new books and just state they are crap based on the little bit you did read

I am not trying to rag on anyone. I know fully well there are two camps - those that hate all but the original six, and those that don't. I just don't get it if you hate it so much (and your words suggest so) then why bother reading all of the newer stuff anyway?

First of all let me clear up some confusion. It isn't the writing itself that I hated...although I didn't think it was as good as Frank's.

My mind was not made up by the House series. The House series I enjoyed to a certain extent. There were parts I didn't like and it could have been better. There are inconsistancies that pissed me off but altogether I thought it was some decent, if not great, backstory on some of the greatest secondary characters ever put on paper. You must understand that House and BJ are very different in that the House series sticks to familiar territory, discussing the events right before the birth of Paul Atreides. KA and BH don't have as much room to manouvre and fuck things up the way the did with BJ.

With Butlerian Jihad, I like to finish things I start and like I said before, there were some good parts. The Fremen parts were great and I did enjoy Erasmus and his relationship with Omnius. These parts kept me going more than anything else. Looking back, hindsight being 20/20, it wasn't enough.

Like I said at the beginning of the post, it wasn't the writing itself I hated. It was the twists that the BJ took that I didn't approve of. Norma Cenva's character is fucking ridiculous. The precursors to the Bene Gesserits...electricity hurling wizardesses...silly and just plain wrong. And the events of the Battle of Corrin, pathetically contrived and stupid. It could have been done much better. More than anything I was just disappointed that these books were nothing like anything Frank had written. (aside from the Fremen parts)

I felt that BJ, more so than House, was a sellout, a completely successful attempt to churn out any old pulp, slap the Dune name on it, and make money. They really should have taken the time to find someone that could write in Frank's style and depth. If they had, not only would these books have made money but they would have stood the test of time. As it is they won't. They drag down Frank Herbert's legacy into the mire of mediocrity.

Oh...and I do NOT believe that BJ was based on anything that Frank had in mind. I most certainly do not believe that Hunters of Dune, etc was based on any "outlines" that Frank left behind. This was a story made up to make people like me shut up about how badly KA and BH are fucking up Frank's story.

Two attempts and a remake of the first attempt and they all suck harder than you did on your first boyfriend's cock, Cozener. Pffft. Whatever. Nothing sucks that hard. :P

blackrose22
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
It's been a long time since I've read the Dune books so I'm going to dig out Dune tomorrow and reread it. I loved the first one immensely and liked the others but some of them were a bit hard to follow at times.

ZoNeSeeK
02-06-2008, 03:06 PM
For instance, Paul Atreides will always look like Kyle MacLachlan to me.

Well at least he fits the description fairly well (unlike the mini series).

Mordred Deschain
02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
This is the little girl that played Alia, Paul's sister in the 84 movie...

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/th_alicia_witt_5.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/aliciawitt.jpg

ZoNeSeeK
02-06-2008, 03:10 PM
blackrose: you'll be surprised how leaving it for a few years and then revisiting will improve your understanding of it, its worked for me. I first read them when i was about 15 and had trouble following some parts of the last 3 books, but since then have re-read it and its made a whole lot more sense :)

ZoNeSeeK
02-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah i gotta see the 1984 movie again. They drastically changed the storyline didnt they? Didn't they cut out the majority of the Fremen sections?

Mordred Deschain
02-06-2008, 03:18 PM
ya. Neither the 84 movie nor the Sci-Fi version did a good job with the story. But both focused on key points. Like I said, the 84 version did a good job with the spice and it's effects on Paul. The Sci-Fi version tried to show glimpses of his actual power. The casting in the 84 version was alright, the casting in the sci-fi was horrible. But the sci-fi told a lot more of the story, and they followed it up with Children of Dune. And I don't know, I'm a Dune fan, so I think I'm going support however it's done. NO movie is like the book. there's always something different. I also bought the stupid arse books that Brian and KJA wrote. I still read them because I'm a fan.

cozener
02-06-2008, 07:15 PM

Gawddamn!

Wuducynn
02-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking Cozener might be wanting to sex that up for about two months straight.

cozener
02-07-2008, 07:08 AM
At least... :D

Mordred Deschain
02-07-2008, 12:08 PM
LOL!! She had parts in a bunch of movies and tv shows. She also plays classical piano and did a performance in London, I think. Ya, she turned out to be a winner. Hell she could have played the grown up version of Alia in the sci-fi Children of Dune..

cozener
02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd be happy to give her some parts to play with...

blackrose22
03-07-2008, 04:17 AM
blackrose: you'll be surprised how leaving it for a few years and then revisiting will improve your understanding of it, its worked for me. I first read them when i was about 15 and had trouble following some parts of the last 3 books, but since then have re-read it and its made a whole lot more sense :)

Hi ZoNeSeek you are spot on. I only intended to read Dune but once I finished it I started to read the rest of them. I found them so much easier to read and understand this time round and now starting Heretics of Dune. So far after the first book God Emperor of Dune is the best. I also found another book of Frank Herbert's in the house called Soul Catcher which I'm going to read when I finish Heretics and Chapter House.

blackrose22
03-07-2008, 04:46 AM

All I can say is WOW!:excited: :onfire:

blackrose22
03-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Just finished Heretics and think it better then God Emperor of Dune. Starting Chapter House now hopefully it can keep up the momentum of Heretics. I read all these books before about 15 years ago and forgotten nearly everything that was in them especially the last two I read so it's like reading them for the first time again. Looking forward to the end now to see how it ends up.

blackrose22
03-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Just finished Chapter House Dune. As I said before it was a long time since I first read them and at times found them hard to follow/understand. This time I took my time and really enjoyed them. The last three books to me are the best in the series. A lot more action packed and faster moving. There was a TV minis series made a couple of years ago that I didn't see which I'm now going to see if I can get on DVD. These books are so intense to read. Frank Herbert was a genius. If you like the ecology storyline I highly recommend Kim Stanley Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy. The are very complex but brilliantly written books.

aurora
03-12-2008, 06:48 PM
I was/am a mega fan of the Dune universe. Tis my fav even above DT (pending mode)
Would it make you guys happy to know there are planes for yet another 'Dune' movie? Still not totally finalized but is in the early process.

For me my Fav's were actually the 'Legends of Dune' triplet.

I absolutely loved it and kinda figured that that was where the post Chapter House books where headed

But I have to tell you after waiting 20 years to get the sequel to Chapter House was the highlight of this decade for me so far. (Been a bad decade i guess LOL!)

I'm looking forward to the first Paul of Dune triplet books which is due out this fall.

blackrose22
03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=aurora;126800]I was/am a mega fan of the Dune universe. Tis my fav even above DT (pending mode)
Would it make you guys happy to know there are planes for yet another 'Dune' movie? Still not totally finalized but is in the early process.

Interesting to see what it will be like compared to David Lynch's version. Have they started making it yet or is it just in development stage.

Scoogs
03-23-2008, 11:30 AM
New movie status as of March 18th article on Scifi.com:

Paramount Adapting Dune Again

Peter Berg is attached to direct another big-screen adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic SF novel Dune for Paramount Pictures, Variety reported.

Kevin Misher, who spent the past year obtaining the book rights from the Herbert estate, will produce.

Herbert's 1965 novel is a sweeping, futuristic tale set on the remote desert planet Arrakis, which is the interstellar empire's sole source of the spice Melange, which causes immortality and facilitates space travel.

The beloved book, which is the first in a series of novels, also spawned David Lynch's 1984 film and SCI FI Channel's 2000 miniseries, starring William Hurt.

The Berg Dune is now seeking writers, with the producers looking for a faithful adaptation of the Hugo- and Nebula Award-winning book.

New Amsterdam's Richard Rubenstein, who produced SCI FI's Dune and its sequel, Children of Dune, is also producing alongside Sarah Aubrey of Film 44, Berg's production banner. John Harrison and Mike Messina executive-produce.

blackrose22
03-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Wow great news. It's going to be interesting to compare the two versions together when this one finally comes out. If it comes out next year it will 25 years since David Lynches adaptation was released. That's hard to believe. I take it there's no mention yet who has the leading roles in this.

aurora
03-23-2008, 02:22 PM
On the CG side its being claimed that this will require a 14-18 month dev cycle so think 2010 release "IF" it finally happens. Theres still a ton of stuff to go through before it becomes written in stone. But my fingers are crossed!

blackrose22
03-23-2008, 02:37 PM
On the CG side its being claimed that this will require a 14-18 month dev cycle so think 2010 release "IF" it finally happens. Theres still a ton of stuff to go through before it becomes written in stone. But my fingers are crossed!

Fingers crossed here too. A 2010 release date is a long way off. But still better for them to take their time with it then to rush it and fuck it up completely. Looking forward to hearing more news about this as it comes out.

blackrose22
03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Finished reading Soul Catcher by Frank Herbert. So different from the Dune books. Enjoyed it but the ending left me cold. Anyboby else read it and if so what did you think of it.

aurora
03-29-2008, 05:47 AM
Read it ages ago. I thought it was so-so. Can't remember any emotions related to reading it though.

DUNE movie update. Its a done deal, the movie is 100% green-lighted! No word on actors or or any of that yet. They are still working on the script. Happily they want to stay true to the novel for a nice change. Can't wait to see how they manage to pull that off without doing all the voice overs the had to do in Lynch's version.

blackrose22
03-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Awesome cant wait for this to happen. Most likely 2 years from now. Damn I hate waiting for things like this. Do hope the keep it as close to the original as possible. Will be interesting to see how the handle the hidden dialogue like they did in David Lynch's version. On the prev side cant wait to find out who's going to be playing Jessica and Channi :drool: .

aurora
03-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I'll let you know who's playing what roles as I get that info. And yeah it will be at least two years. Granted theres talk of a December 09 release but probability that it will be done, decently that is, by then is dang near impossible.

blackrose22
03-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Do hope they take their time with this and not rush it so they can get it out for the lucrative Christmas market.

Mordred Deschain
03-31-2008, 09:58 AM
As I am entering a battle at work, union against management, I have started to recite the litany against fear....

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Can't wait to see who is staring in the movie.

KevinFlys
05-18-2008, 01:56 AM
No spam on the site, Please.

MonteGss
03-02-2010, 04:31 PM
I finished reading Dune for the very first time two days ago. I really enjoyed it and liked Paul a lot. I totally dig the whole savior/superhuman thing. :thumbsup:

Not gonna lie though, I'm worried about continuing on with the story. I've heard so much about the remaining books that I'm not sure I want to take the chance at "ruining" what I feel was a great stand alone book.

(I know I'll pick Book 2 up eventually though....it's not like me to start a story without trying to finish it.)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Ok, this looks like a good place to ask this question. I have always planned on reading Dune, but now there are so many dune related books, I am confused. What are the core books to the Dune series? And, what is their order?

Mordred Deschain
03-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Ok, this looks like a good place to ask this question. I have always planned on reading Dune, but now there are so many dune related books, I am confused. What are the core books to the Dune series? And, what is their order?

hahaha...Ok if you really want the Frank Herbert vision, Dune is the first book. then Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and then I think Chapterhouse: Dune. The other books that you find are wrote by his Son and they are prequels (before Dune) and the end of the series after ChapterHouse. I have read them all, but I would stay with the Frank Herbert books and start with Dune. His son kind of messed the story up a bit.

Sam
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
For me, the story of Dune begins with DUNE and ends with God Emperor of Dune. It is commonly believed that this was where Herbert intended to leave the series, but continued with Heretics and Chapterhouse under pressure from others (publisher, agent, fans, who knows). What I can say is that the story reads as a continuous tale up to and through God Emperor and changes with Heretics, at least it did to me. The later books by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert are very hit and miss. Some of them have been well told and added to the mythos of the DUNE series and to Dune itself while others were simply a waste of my time to read and were never finished. I have not read more than five of their books simply because I didn't feel they were worth the effort to read or the money to get the books. The last one I read, Paul of Dune, was actually good, but the only reason I bought it was because I was stuck in the hospital in Halifax, NS with my wife and had nothing to do besides sit and wait for her to get well enough for us to go home. It was good and added to the mythos, but don't read it until you've read Frank Herbert's books.

Mordred Deschain
03-03-2010, 01:59 PM
For me, the story of Dune begins with DUNE and ends with God Emperor of Dune. It is commonly believed that this was where Herbert intended to leave the series, but continued with Heretics and Chapterhouse under pressure from others (publisher, agent, fans, who knows). What I can say is that the story reads as a continuous tale up to and through God Emperor and changes with Heretics, at least it did to me. The later books by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert are very hit and miss. Some of them have been well told and added to the mythos of the DUNE series and to Dune itself while others were simply a waste of my time to read and were never finished. I have not read more than five of their books simply because I didn't feel they were worth the effort to read or the money to get the books. The last one I read, Paul of Dune, was actually good, but the only reason I bought it was because I was stuck in the hospital in Halifax, NS with my wife and had nothing to do besides sit and wait for her to get well enough for us to go home. It was good and added to the mythos, but don't read it until you've read Frank Herbert's books.

I read them all! including Hunters and Sandworms. horrible..completely horrible. I didn't mind Paul of Dune, but it still had the Brian and Kevin feel and not what the true story should have been. I see there is another called Winds of Dune. I agree with everything you said too, kind of like how I pointed above to start with Dune. And I think it should have ended with God Emporer too.

Sam
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Paul of Dune certianly lacked Frank's voice, but there were shadows of him throughout. Honestly, I think Anderson writes more of the novels than Brian, but I think Brian does the outlines and overall story direction. Kevin is a pretty good writer, but his stories are rarely as convoluted as the Dune books have been. Frank was a master at plots within plots within plots, but Brian has proven that he can't handle that quite so well.

mae
05-23-2016, 04:53 AM
So apparently Centipede Press is coming out with a deluxe set of the Dune novels. Sounds very exciting. Depending on the price and extras I'll definitely take a long hard look.

No real info yet, just speculation: http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3701

CP's latest couple of newsletters stated only "With the Dune contracts nailed down, it is time to start looking for artwork" with various artist names. Unless I missed something more substantial earlier.

cit74
05-23-2016, 06:46 AM
So apparently Centipede Press is coming out with a deluxe set of the Dune novels. Sounds very exciting. Depending on the price and extras I'll definitely take a long hard look.

No real info yet, just speculation: http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3701

CP's latest couple of newsletters stated only "With the Dune contracts nailed down, it is time to start looking for artwork" with various artist names. Unless I missed something more substantial earlier.

Nope - that sounds right. Jerad has been adding links to each artist so you can see their work. I think that's pretty cool - allowing the fans to have a say in the artist - although that might delay the process. Maybe he'll get some various artwork from several of the artists. He had like 8 or so different artists lined up.

firemonkey66
05-23-2016, 09:31 PM

Nope - that sounds right. Jerad has been adding links to each artist so you can see their work. I think that's pretty cool - allowing the fans to have a say in the artist - although that might delay the process. Maybe he'll get some various artwork from several of the artists. He had like 8 or so different artists lined up.

I'd be interested in this set. Dune is a great series and Centipede Press does a nice job with their books. I had a copy of their Ender's Game at one point and it was really a nice production.

This may wound like a stupid question, but how do you sign up for their newsletter?

jsmcmullen92
05-24-2016, 10:07 AM

I talked to Jerad last year when he was thinking about doing this set and I think he said the price point would be ~$600+ for the set but don't hold me to that. I am going off of memory, I can't seem to find the email (damn auto-deletion).

[QUOTE=cit74;1001289]

I'd be interested in this set. Dune is a great series and Centipede Press does a nice job with their books. I had a copy of their Ender's Game at one point and it was really a nice production.

This may wound like a stupid question, but how do you sign up for their newsletter?

Funny enough I don't remember. If you email Jerad he could probably set you up.

DoctorZaius
05-24-2016, 07:43 PM
I'd only be interested in the first four books - they are the classics. Everything pales by comparison.