PDA

View Full Version : Why is Jake so special?

BillyxRansom
10-04-2008, 02:50 PM
In the first book, he didn't require being drawn by the Gunslinger. But all the others did require it. How come Jake was able to make it into the Gunslinger's world without being drawn?

John_and_Yoko
10-04-2008, 03:00 PM
How far along have you read? BecauseFather Callahan didn't need to be drawn either. They both died in their world, and I think it might be because they weren't from the Keystone World (ours), or Roland's All-World, the two most important worlds. Besides, Jake DID have to be drawn in the third volume.

LadyHitchhiker
10-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Jake is special alright.. Yup yup yup...

jayson
10-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Death is a door. Jake's opened to Roland's world.

Brainslinger
10-07-2008, 10:24 AM
I did wonder if Walter orchestrated the transference. This make sense when you consider the man in Black pushed Jake in front of the car. Ok, we know from later books it's not quite as simple as that, but it's certain he was involved.

Spoilers for later in the series ahead:
If we take Wolves of the Calla into account I'm not so sure. Walter was there to meet Callahan, went back on his own route to meet him in fact, but Sayre obviously intended for him to die with no coming back. His suicide was an escape from this. Hence I wonder if Walter was just making the best of the change in situation rather than orchestrating his transference to that world.

So who is responsible of the transference? Sure death is a door, but does that mean it is commonplace for people who die in one world to wake up in another world? The same age, and clothed in that world's attire I mean, not reincarnation where ones memories are lost and identity is altered. Or is it only players the Tower wants to utilize, those bound by ka-tet who traverse that way? Or again is it an evil character such as the Crimson King or Walter utilizing the doorway caused by death redirrecting people from the clearing (or reincarnation) to another place?

Anyhow, probably drifted off topic there, but it's all very interesting, and at least related to the influence between worlds.

Letti
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM

Short but excellent answer.

jayson
10-08-2008, 05:05 AM

Short but excellent answer.

Thanks. King said basically the same thing many many times so I was really just paraphrasing.

HorseDrover'sDaughter
10-10-2008, 05:45 AM
I did wonder if Walter orchestrated the transference. This make sense when you consider the man in Black pushed Jake in front of the car. Ok, we know from later books it's not quite as simple as that, but it's certain he was involved.

I think that this is a lot of it. Jake was meant as a trap, right? The whole "while you travel with the boy, the man in black travels with your soul in his pocket" thing? I think that the influence of Walter and the Crimson King organized events so that this boy, who was just innocent enough, and just tough enough that Roland would love him, would end up right in Roland's path. The intention on their part, I think, was always that Roland would either a) decide that he couldn't sacrifice Jake and cry off his quest or b) sacrifice Jake and be so crippled by this emotionally that he would be unable to fulfill his quest.

I also think that the influence of Gan (which I like to think is far stronger than that of the CK) made it possible for Jake to help Roland to find his humanity again, and certainly arranged the events that led to Jake being drawn back.

The Lady of Shadows
10-11-2008, 12:43 PM
excellent answer HDD! :clap:

Brainslinger
10-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I also think that the influence of Gan (which I like to think is far stronger than that of the CK) made it possible for Jake to help Roland to find his humanity again, and certainly arranged the events that led to Jake being drawn back.

Yes, I think you're right. I like the idea that Gan/The Tower/ka are able to turn the evil beings' machinations to the Greater Good.

Sam
10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Excellent food for thought HDD.

BlaineTheChooChooTrain
10-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I think when the choice was made by Roland to save the boy but lose The man in black it was more of a test to see what lengths he is willing to go to catch him and find the Tower.

When Jake is drawn back to Rolands world I see it as a sort of gift to Roland for taking on such a momentous task, something to ease his conscience and bring him back his humanity.