PDA

View Full Version : Book Club?

razz
10-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I was thinking, maybe we could start a monthly book club here. The only problem i can think of is that some people may not be able to get their hands on a copy of whatever book we read, since we're not distributing copies. that's why it's a monthly club, it gives you time to find it in a library or something.
I don't think this will require spoilers, since this thread would only be needed to discuss which book to read. we'd then get together after a month in the Chat room to discuss the book. Is there anybody that would be interested?

Jackie
10-03-2008, 02:48 PM
I like the idea =]

turtlex
10-03-2008, 02:53 PM
i like it too.

razz
10-03-2008, 02:55 PM
well before we start anything, I'd like to get a few more "aye"s and approval from one of the PtB

Jackie
10-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Ok coolness I'll keep checking in on this thread :)

gsvec
10-03-2008, 08:53 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Freak279/Food%20and%20Everyday%20Stuff/_library__by_Link3Kokiri.gif

cozener
10-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Can't say that I'd always participate but its a good idea. :thumbsup:

BeDaN
10-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm in like Flint

TLC
10-03-2008, 10:15 PM
i'm in too!!

The Lady of Shadows
10-04-2008, 05:46 PM
a few questions?

are we only talking sk books?
who picks the books?
does the bookclub start on the first of the month and the discussion start on like the 15? or would we schedule several different discussion days?

am i asking these questions too soon - is this just a "who's interested" question?

razz
10-04-2008, 05:51 PM
well the way i think is, someone suggests a book, we spend the first week of each month choosing the book, then we have three weeks to read the book, and discuss on a set time & set date. Since this is such a large site, it may take a while to get organized, but it's definitely more than SK novels, though if there is one not many have read, we should start with it. So yes this is a who's interested thread, but this should also be the official thread. you're asking just the right questions i think. then there's also the Global time zone problem. :orely:

Jackie
10-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Yea, and are there going to be certain set parts of the book we have to read up to [like chaper 4, page 50, etc. ] so we will all be on the same page?

razz
10-04-2008, 05:54 PM
i suppose so. it's why i want one of the powers that be in on it, to help work out the bugs, and to plan.

Jackie
10-04-2008, 05:58 PM
well the way i think is, someone suggests a book, we spend the first week of each month choosing the book, then we have three weeks to read the book, and discuss on a set time & set date. Since this is such a large site, it may take a while to get organized, but it's definitely more than SK novels, though if there is one not many have read, we should start with it. So yes this is a who's interested thread, but this should also be the official thread. you're asking just the right questions i think. then there's also the Global time zone problem. :orely:

That's true nut we can try to find a time that would be good no matter what, like try to find a time where all the 'times' are okay. I know tha probably sounds confusing :lol: And we should try to do it on weekends like a Friday or Saturday that we won't have to worry about work/school and if people do have work we'll just have to try and work around that and figure something out. Yes this will take a lot of time to organize, maybe we can shot to start in November though?

razz
10-04-2008, 06:04 PM
exactly. But I can't say I know exactly how this should go. I don't want to be headign this project. Maybe Jean? I haven't been in a book club before, and except for this site, I'm REALLY not a social person. But i thought it would be interesting to try, instead of making a thread for a book nobody else has heard of

Jackie
10-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Yea, if you want maybe we could ask someone who is superactive and has been in a book club before/knows how they run[I've never been in one either], such as Jean, maybe you should PM him.

The Lady of Shadows
10-04-2008, 06:30 PM
well i don't want to speak for jean but you do know he's in the middle of a MAJOR project right now don't you? and i don't think it's just here either. read the home improvement thread. maybe we should figure out who is interested then find out who wants to run it because it sounds like a great idea. :)

razz
10-04-2008, 06:39 PM
true, we should probably wait before we pick a big boss, and a moderator, and etc...

Woofer
10-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Can't say that I'd always participate but its a good idea. :thumbsup:

Yes. It depends on a lot of factors for me, but yes!

I'm in like Flint

Oh really? In Like Flint (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061810/), eh?

well i don't want to speak for jean but you do know he's in the middle of a MAJOR project right now don't you? and i don't think it's just here either. read the home improvement thread. maybe we should figure out who is interested then find out who wants to run it because it sounds like a great idea. :)

turtlesong speaks true.

true, we should probably wait before we pick a big boss, and a moderator, and etc...

Good call.

educatedlady
10-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I think this is a great idea. I'd do my best to participate. :)

Sam
10-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I think it's a great idea. I have a few suggestions to make.

The first is in regards to the time question, what about Global time. My suggestion is to start the "book month" at a specific time in a specific time zone (like 8am Matt's time for example).

Regarding book selection, in cases like The Gunslinger where there are several editions all editions should be included under one title, unless the changes are so far sweeping they change the basic plot (like Blind Willie).

As for start time, why not just go with the calendar month, Jan. 1 to Jan. 31 for example. If that won't work, we can work out some way to do it.

As for what books, I think it should, for now, be just King's books. When we run out of them, then we can go to other authors.

That's it for now from me, but I do think it's a terrific idea.

Jackie
10-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Yea, that's what i was thinking fir the month something like Nov.1st - Nov. 30th

The Lady of Shadows
10-04-2008, 08:59 PM
i think november might be too soon to get it started - figuring out the logistics and all. unless you're volunteering to run it jackie? :orely:

and in december there are all the holidays. so that leaves january to begin it.

again, ::hint, hint:: unless you're volunteering jackie. :D

Jackie
10-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Haha, I would offer to run it but im really sure how to run it. And yea i thought November might be a little soon too but i was just thinking of all the holidays in December in which case we wouldn't be able to start until January. But I thought if we go around the site enough looking for people who would like to join in the book club and find someone to run it in a week or so we would be set, we have almost a month to prepare, if we indeed did start in November.

Sam
10-04-2008, 09:29 PM
I think January is a good time to start, if we can get it going that is. I even have a suggestion for the first book. Since it is the latest release, I would suggest Just After Sunset. Just a suggestion though, I still plan to read it ASAP.

Woofer
10-04-2008, 09:34 PM
But the month is October. The entire month is for finalizing HOWLOWEEN! And 12 days until Screamfest!

http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/happyhowloween.gif

Jean
10-04-2008, 10:36 PM
It seems to me JohnBlaze had a similar idea at .net; it would be great if you could get him to head the project - but, then again, he is going to be too busy with the new baby soon.

Of course I would love to head it, but, as t/song said, I have too much on my hands now - the nightmarish redecoration she referred to; and the next priority will, of course, be the Castle which I regrettably neglected, and there's a lot of work to do there if we want it to be in proper order.

I would suggest Woofer or t/song. I will give all moderator's support you might need; unfortunately, I will hardly be able to participate, since I have no access to English library. (maybe whoever is in charge will let me nominate books from my own private library time to time; then I can have fun, too)

Darkthoughts
10-05-2008, 06:46 AM
I think this is a great idea :thumbsup:

We used to have a DT reading group and I really enjoyed that. I don't think we should limit ourselves to SK books, but I love Sam's suggestion of starting with Just After Sunset.

I think the trouble with leaving it until January is that the thread might get forgotten about in the meantime. Perhaps if we make a list of everyone who wants to be in, and then if we went with JASS as the first book, we start as soon as everyone has a copy. Then after that, we could go through the list alphabetically, with everyone getting to choose a book to read.

I found that when we did the DT group read, the page numbers differ from country to country and even between publishers. So, easily enough with a short story collection we could read and discuss a story at a time. And then with novels we do x amount of chapters at a time.

There would need to be some structure to the discussion too, otherwise we'll just get a bunch of posts saying either "I liked this story!" or "I didn't like this story!" Maybe we could set a list of discussion questions that could apply to any book while we're waiting to start - and then when you read a specfic book, the person who chose it, gets to add additional questions pertinant to that particular story?

Heather19
10-05-2008, 06:47 AM
I'd be interested in participating. Not sure I would everytime, but it would be interesting to get this thing going.

razz
10-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I can talk to some teachers at my school, see if they have any ideas for book club questions, and we can get a list drawn up.

Darkthoughts
10-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Brilliant!

Also, as for who run's it, I think whoever the person who's book we're reading at the current time can run the show until they hand over the reins to the next person on the list. I'm sure if it's active enough we can get it stickied :thumbsup:

Brice
10-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Or conversely whoever decides to run this could make tailor-made questions for each book.

Darkthoughts
10-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Yep, either/and/or :lol:

razz
10-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Alright, here's a list of People currently interested

01. BeDan
02. Cozener
03. Darkthoughts
04. EducatedLady
05. Gsvec?
06. Heather19
07. Jackie
08. Jean?
09. Razz
10. Sam Catoe
11. TLC
12. Turtlesong
13. Turtlex
14. Woofer

? means i don't know
[edit] ^Brice?[edit/]
(Brice, i ain't switching those numbers to add your name.:P
I guess I'll just keep a list here then, and add on. wait to alphabetize until later now.)

Brice
10-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Alright, here's a list of People currently interested

01. BeDan
02. Cozener
03. Darkthoughts
04. EducatedLady
05. Gsvec?
06. Heather19
07. Jackie
08. Jean?
09. Razz
10. Sam Catoe
11. TLC
12. Turtlesong
13. Turtlex
14. Woofer

? means i don't know
[edit] ^Brice?[edit/]
(Brice, i ain't switching those numbers to add your name.:P
I guess I'll just keep a list here then, and add on. wait to alphabetize until later now.)

Interested, yes. I'll participate when it's convenient.

razz
10-05-2008, 07:29 AM
alright then!
i'm keeping a copy of members on my computer, just to update it quickly.
Which made me think of another question. when a new club member joins, how far into the book should it be before we ask them to wait until the next book? I mean, it's simple if they miss one discussion of the book. but if we're halfway through, they've missed half the discussion, and while they could catch up perhaps, they wouldn't knowwhat we talked about in the discussions. I don't see any problem with short stories though.:)
Then there's (again) the question of time.
While most of us could read the entire book (just about any) within a month, some people could not. Therefore it seems the best option to have chapter based time slots (or something like that). In that case, meetings should either be weekly or bimonthly. And depending on the size of the story, we shouldn't have only one short story per week. maybe up to three or four if they're really short (like if we were to read skeleton crew, or the Martian Chronicles)

razz
10-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Also i would liek to point out that we need a definite time for the next discussion leader to pick out a book and post it here, and it will then be the duty of the members to check back here and then get a copy of the book. I suggest 24-48 hours, but in order to make sure it's a book everyone could agree with or find, it should be part of the discussion during the last meetign for each book. therefore members should be thinking of more than one book idea when it's their turn.

Brice
10-05-2008, 07:57 AM
I don't think there should be a cutoff for people joining in. If during the course of disussion something gets repeated ...so be it.

razz
10-05-2008, 08:03 AM
true, true...no cut off it is then
once we get everything finalized, I'll summarize the entire set of guidelines at the beginning of the thread.:thumbsup:

Ves'Ka Gan
10-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I am definitely interested--I've made it through the whole thread despite my post-duty exhaustion, so that's gotta mean something.

If no one is interested in running the discussion group I can vounteer--assuming we start in Dec. or January, as my next two months are going tobe taken up with my cross country move & getting settled at my new USMC unit.

razz
10-05-2008, 05:01 PM
right, you're added to the list. And we have a nominee for a moderator. I'll add that to the list.

BeDan
Cozener
Darkthoughts
EducatedLady
Gsvec?
Heather19
Jackie
Jean?
Razz
Sam Catoe
TLC
Turtlesong
Turtlex
Woofer
Brice
Ves'Ka Gan- disc mod nominee?

Sam
10-05-2008, 06:02 PM
As for a moderator, I would certainly be willing to be a moderator for a month or so, but I cannot do it full time as my wife's medical condition, while stable, is too tenuous for me to make any sort of long term commitment.

Hell, you should have seen me a year ago. I wouldn't make plans more than a day ahead except for doctor's appointments, and even those plans were subject to change with NO notice. Oh, and I made absolutely zero plans for days after the chemo treatments. I was afraid to even leave the house to go to the store two miles (round trip) away for a coke for the first two days after chemo.

Anyway, I would be willing to moderate the first month should we decide to go with my idea of JAS since it was my suggestion. I do think that starting this with November would be possible, if everything is hammered out. Remember though that the book is not released until the 11th so many can't even begin the book before then (those going to the reading are the exception). Add to that, the Thanksgiving holiday, and many just don't have time. With December we have the Christmas holidays which can absorb two weeks or more with some.

With that in mind, I have a suggestion. IF we are to start this in November and IF we were to use JAS as the first book to discuss, why not simply combine November andDecember for the same title. This will give those with families time to actually read the book and not sacrifice their holiday time. I have very little family, no children, and no full time job. Moderating will not be any great strain against my time for now. We would also have two full months to work out any kinks that may rear their ugly heads.

It's a lot to take in at once, but it's what just came to me a few minutes ago. Here's to possibilities.:orely:

razz
10-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Makes sense, Bob. we've already had agreements that JAS should be the first book, but so those who can't buy the book can get it from a library, I suggest we wait to start at the beginning of December, because most libraries would have it in stock by then. As for combining months for reading, i've already said that a single book could take months depending on the size. Depending on the number of meetings we have each month, we would only have one or two short stories for each meeting. one month seems too large a time, so we have meetings either weekly or bi monthly?

Sam
10-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I think weekly is not an unreal idea, but that bi-weekly would be better for many of us who have busy lives (for the workaholics and soccer moms [and if we have soccer moms can I get your number *SMACK*... Sorry.:( ])

Woofer
10-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Sorry. Yesterday was a pretty busy day. My fave niece was in town. Yay!

I'd be happy to help run it. I see Ves is interested, as well. Perhaps we could have a rotating book club mod? That way nobody has all the pressure and we can step up and fill in for each other when required?

razz
10-06-2008, 03:59 AM
sounds great!

Ves'Ka Gan
10-06-2008, 07:53 AM

I'd be happy to help run it. I see Ves is interested, as well. Perhaps we could have a rotating book club mod? That way nobody has all the pressure and we can step up and fill in for each other when required?

Oh I think that is a great idea! I think it would do a lot toward "keeping it fun" for the bookclub mods, too, since there would be limited pressure. Even if we only rotated between 2 and 3 people who were interested it would still work out.

Jean
10-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Very good. I will be around in case you need some editing/deleting/renaming.

only please, please, let me nominate a book for discussion time to time!!!

::jumps up and down::

Jackie
10-06-2008, 10:59 AM

Oh I think that is a great idea! I think it would do a lot toward "keeping it fun" for the bookclub mods, too, since there would be limited pressure. Even if we only rotated between 2 and 3 people who were interested it would still work out.

Yes that sounds like a fantastic idea! That way no one peron will have all the weight on their sholders.

And yes Jean of course you can nominate a book from time to time

In fact i think [after the first month when we will be reading JAS] we should put a poll up a week or so before the next month to decide on a book

Sam
10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
So my next question is the format. What type of discussion do you want to have? Chapter-by-chapter (in the case of collections, story-by-story), entire sections, and what about a book like Dolores Claiborne that doesn't have chapter breaks. Also, do we want the discussion to be a light, on the surface style, or do you want to delve into the depths and deal with elements like style, symbolism, deeper meanings, foreshadowing (which is often difficult to see when reading for the first time), and other literary elements.

razz
10-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Well i'm not really sure. It depends on what people want. perhaps for the first meetings of each book we can discuss what you think of it, the writing style, the characters, and discuss the book in relation the the previous section, and then on the final meeting for the book, we can discuss the book overall. Foreshadowing, etc.

how long do you think each meeting should last? until everyone has had their say or leaves? or should there be a specific time limit (I'm against a limit. people will probably leave when they're done)

turtlex
10-06-2008, 01:30 PM
There are some books that actually come with book club discussion guides - that give an idea or a jumping off point.

Sam
10-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Leave? I'm afraid you lost me there. I really don't think people would leave the discussion. I think posts would continue. I would suggest a time limit, but leave the thread available for people to read. I have seen this type of format used on another forum I am a member of that has special guests. The guest is present for a specific amount of time to post and answere question. After that time has elapsed, the guest says his goodbyes and the entire topic is closed but still readable.

I think the time limit would work out fine, but should be adapted for the title being read. Carrie wouldn't need anywhere near the time that The Stand would need. Likewise, I wouldn't see the need to devote as much time to Gerald's Game as I would to Eyes of the Dragon if we were going to have a deep discussion of the book, since EotD has much stronger ties to The Tower than GG. Either way I think each book deserves, at a minimum, three good weeks of discussion. Even Misery (which has few ties to any other story) can garner that much discussion.

As to the content of the discussion, I think it would probably be best not to define any specific type of discussion, but rather to let the community discuss what ideas they wish. The moderator can give a general direction though in that discussion. This is all just my opinion though. I don't want to speak for anyone else. What do y'all think?

Sam
10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Razz,
I think the two of us have completely different ideas and that I have misunderstood your suggestion.

What I was referring to is to open a sub topic on the book to be discussed and have a discussion begin at a specific time and date. The discussion would continue 24 hours a day for a specific length of time (like one week) via postings at the members own rate. At the end of that time period the discussion would be ended and the sub topic closed to additional posting. That is the idea I had in mind the entire time.

How does this compare with the idea you have?

TLC
10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
that is how I had thought and hoped it would be like Sam.
not sure I get the other way either!!!
please explain!

razz
10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
i kind of figured we'd use the chat, but noe that i think about it, it might be a little crowded and confusing.

Ves'Ka Gan
10-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I personally have issues using the chat on my computer--it delays too long and I get left in the dust. This is especially an issue when there are several people in the chat....just my .02

Matt
10-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Have you tried the new one? Its hosted off site. :rock:

KaLikeAWheel
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm definitely interested! I'd also prefer not to use the chat room. Like Ves, my computer (which is slow and obnoxious) can't compete in Java chat, especially with my archaic dial-up connection.

Oh, this is gonna be fun! :excited:

Donna

Woofer
10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
There are some books that actually come with book club discussion guides - that give an idea or a jumping off point.

Ah ha! That made me search and I found this article: Starting a Book Discussion Group (http://www.bookbrowse.com/bookclubs/index.cfm?fuseaction=starting_club). I'll try to remember to read it tomorrow, but I wanted to get the link up for anyone else interested. At a glance, it looks like we've covered most of the basics.

Ves'Ka Gan
10-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Matt--I stand corrected--when you first changed the chat I used it & it worked fine. Sometimes I am absentminded. I think it may be because I am a genius. :cyclops:

Sam
10-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Or it could be because you're a chocolate covered NUT!:P

The Lady of Shadows
10-09-2008, 09:20 PM
are there blonde nuts? i think she definitely qualifies. :P

Jean
10-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I suggest you choose a book, then make sure at least six (or any other number you agree upon) people have access to it, and fix the date of the beginning; all that happens in this thread. On the specified date, you start a spoiler thread on the chosen book here in Dutch Hill, subtitling it "Book Club". After some agreed-upon time elapses, I merge that thread with previous book discussion thread (starting with the second, because this thread will be dedicated to organization matters only).

razz
10-12-2008, 03:54 PM
alright, but like i said. i don't want to do just Stephen King books, so sometimes there won't be a thread to merge with.

The Lady of Shadows
10-12-2008, 04:01 PM
agreed. i hesitate to say it, but there are other worthy books out there to read. :gasp: :lol:

for example, we could choose a repairman jack book, or an h.p. lovecraft book of short stories, or maybe the bear will suggest a non-king book (i already bought the ball and the cross, just haven't started it yet).

we could see if anyone wants to dabble in an alice sebold book, or harlan coben, or. . . . see where i'm going with this? why stick with one author when there are multitudes of books, authors, genres, to choose from.

just a thought. i'll shut up now. ::going back to 100 aker wood to find hunney::

razz
10-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, but a suggestion: could we stay out of Nora Roberts? please?

The Lady of Shadows
10-12-2008, 04:10 PM
i don't go into the romance section. it drops your iq by 20 points. no, really, i have done studies. :P

Woofer
10-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Misery Chastain? DO NOT WANT!

turtlex
10-12-2008, 04:55 PM
What about going back to a classic that we might not have read, or would be interested in re-reading?

Kerouac's On The Road
Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird

I like the idea of a collection of short stories, too.

Sam
10-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Might I suggest some possible science fiction as well. I'm thinking Heinlein's Staranger in a Strange Land. As far as delving into other genres, I believe we should stick with the more well known titles. They are more available to those who don't own them.

Jean
10-12-2008, 10:43 PM
alright, but like i said. i don't want to do just Stephen King books, so sometimes there won't be a thread to merge with.
I am going to merge all book club discussions in consecutive order, regardless of the author

Jean
10-12-2008, 10:45 PM
What about going back to a classic that we might not have read, or would be interested in re-reading?

Kerouac's On The Road

Mockingbird would be great because I have it at home, and I don't think I'll have many chances of participations

TLC
10-13-2008, 08:39 AM
i would have to get most of my books from the library provided they aren't super new books. So it may take me a few days to acquire a certain title when we do decide on one.

The Lady of Shadows
10-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I am going to merge all book club discussions in consecutive order, regardless of the author

oh, i get what you're saying. sort of an "uber-bookclub thread". nice, very nice. :)

Kerouac's On The Road

Mockingbird would be great because I have it at home, and I don't think I'll have many chances of participations

that would be such a nice book. i haven't read it in eons. seriously, i'm that old. :P

i would have to get most of my books from the library provided they aren't super new books. So it may take me a few days to acquire a certain title when we do decide on one.

i think a lot of people will do it that way tlc, so don't worry. there will be time for people to acquire the book in question. and to read the prescribed sections before the discussions begin. :rose:

razz
10-13-2008, 01:23 PM
If one of you choose "To Kill a Mockingbird", I'll still go along.
Just to put it out there, i didn't like it.
If one of y'all chooses "The Great Gatsby", i won't be joining you that month.

turtlex
10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I would love some science fiction, as well.

Robert Silverberg - Lord Valentine's Castle comes to mind.

I'm up for any classics. Mockingbird just came to mind. Oh, and for the record, I did love it.

The Lady of Shadows
10-13-2008, 04:54 PM
ooooooooooooooh. zombie books. that world war z is supposed to be excellent. and i'm reading the living dead right now and it totally rocks. and it names all kinds of zombie short stories.

and science fiction books totally rocks. has anybody ever read the short stories by spider robinson? god is an iron is my favorite.

Spencer
10-13-2008, 04:55 PM
I'd say you need someone with mod powers to run this. I ran something like this a while back, but wasn't a mod where I ran it. I didn't think that would be an issue until I wanted to update things, delete old posts and replace them with new ones, change thread titles, and all that fun stuff. I had to ask a mod to do it every time, and, while they were great in accommodating me, there were always inevitable delays and frustrations.

Also, I'd think you'd need a separate forum or subforum for something like this, so there can be a separate thread for each book discussed, (with the added bonus that anyone could read an older selection and jump in that discussion thread anytime they wanted in the future), and separate threads for different book polls, and whatever else is needed. Trying to keep it all in one thread will be very frustrating and confusing, and may cause people to give up on it, when they'd otherwise enjoy a book club immensely.

razz
10-13-2008, 04:56 PM
that's why we got Jean!

Spencer
10-13-2008, 05:00 PM
:lol: Awesome. I just saw the post where he said he didn't have time and kinda skimmed to the end. :lol:

Hopefully the forum thing could be worked out as well.

razz
10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
yup. so, Spencer. (i don't think we've met before, so Howdy), are you in?

Spencer
10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Sure, I can handle that. :D Never met me? Awesome. Make sure not to ask anyone about me. :lol:

Did the forum thing get worked out? Damn I must have missed all the key posts in this thread. :rofl:

razz
10-13-2008, 05:10 PM
most everything is worked out. now we just wait until the end of november to begin. i think

Sam
10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
So, the question of the day is: What has been decided?

Spencer
10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
most everything is worked out. now we just wait until the end of november to begin. i think

:lol: well, you've got more of a clue than I have. :D

Jean
10-13-2008, 10:48 PM
wait a bit, I have a vague idea for subsection, we'll see if works out

Matt
10-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Easy on the Nora bashing, she is Dora's favorite and Dora is as smart a woman as I have ever run across. :lol:

:wub:

Matt
10-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I am going to move this thread to the subforum renamed for the idea. I'll leave a redirect.

razz
10-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Book club has it's own sub-forum? AWESOME!
:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Ves'Ka Gan
10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm really gald for the sub forum! Yaaaayy.

And as for the "nut" comments--I will say that my last name does include the word "nut" so yeah. Go figure.

Spencer
10-14-2008, 03:10 PM
wait a bit, I have a vague idea for subsection, we'll see if works out

Looks good to me. :D

Spencer
10-14-2008, 03:11 PM
-I will say that my last name does include the word "nut".

Mine too. :lol:

razz
10-14-2008, 03:12 PM
"Spencer Iznuts"?

Woofer
10-14-2008, 04:37 PM
:lol: Awesome. I just saw the post where he said he didn't have time and kinda skimmed to the end. :lol:

Hopefully the forum thing could be worked out as well.

For shame!

Easy on the Nora bashing, she is Dora's favorite and Dora is as smart a woman as I have ever run across. :lol:

No offense intended. I like plenty of non- or even unintellectual things, such as really bad cheesy horror and scifi.

Hoorah for the subforum!

The Lady of Shadows
10-14-2008, 04:56 PM

you know matticus, some of the power of that statement is taken away when i know you were all moony when you were typing it. and then the big ole luuuuuuuuuuuv is there for us all to see. try it again without drolling over dora's pic. :lol:

and as for the subforum. :cool: :thumbsup: :excited: and a :nana: for good measure.

Jean
10-14-2008, 10:39 PM
ok

now: I give us one week (till next Wednesday morning, Moscow time) to elect the leader of this group. If it doesn't happen, we prove our impotence, and the whole thing is off. As I said, I will give you all moderator's support, but I can't lead the discussion on books I haven't read, and the probability that we will always discuss books that are within the bear's reach is rather low.

It could be any of the founding fathers/mothers of the club (those already posted in this thread - razz including, by the way, he is young but definitely able), but maybe you whould consider some other candidates; I would suggest alinda but I know that moderators here are really very busy, and you need someone dedicated.

Now, the final word in choosing the first book for discussion is going to belong to me, because it must be something everyone, including the bear, has read; and it will be

To Kill a Mockingbird

It is especially interesting since many people don't like it, and some (Steve, for example) hate it; while others (me) think it's one of the greatest books ever written; then, of course, it is important that everyone can read or reread it withouth falling all over themselves - I hope every library has a few copies.

The sooner we have the leader, the sooner the fun starts!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/good-luck.jpg

Frunobulax
10-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Jeez. I've read TKAM at least seven times now. I think it's one of the best books out there! I'll join in conversations, maybe re-read, but I do have the strong call of an Umberto Eco book to deal with...

Jean
10-14-2008, 11:03 PM
if the project develops as I expect, I hope we'll be discussing foreign books too. I even hope to be able to find a good translation of a modern Russian book, and then we can read it with me commenting on what couldn't otherwise be understood. But that's for the future.

turtlex
10-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Woowhoo... Boo and Gem and Scout and Dill - here comes TDT !!

The Lady of Shadows
10-15-2008, 10:53 AM
i thought we had our leaders. woofer and ves. with a fill in to boot. did i miss something and they dropped out? also, i thought we had decided that we would start on november 1 and keep the same book through december becuase of all the holidays. and then pick another book january 1st for all of january. again, did i miss something? :unsure:

as for TKAM all i can say is - woohoo! :) :excited: :dance:

Jean
10-15-2008, 11:01 AM
No, I don't think you missed anything. I would like to know who exactly I am going to be in close contact with regarding all technicalities.

The Lady of Shadows
10-15-2008, 11:10 AM
oh, i see. :) well, i think that will change depending on when ves has her two weeks with those pesky marines. damn, we don't have a solider smilie. maybe this can do: :pirate:

:lol:

Jean
10-15-2008, 11:37 AM
For example, the leader should now start announcing, in a loud a clear voice, so that everyone concerned will hear it, that it's time for all who are going to participate to make plans of where and how To Kill a Mockingbird is going to be acquired

The good news is that now that we have a whole subsection, we won't have to worry about those merges. We'll see how we proceed and will figure out the best way of organizing the threads - but only after a few book discussions.

Spencer
10-15-2008, 12:30 PM
What I usually did is have a separate thread for each book. Or, if the book was discussed in sections, have separate threads for each section, then merge those threads to the thread for the book as a whole when the time is right.Either way, ultimately, you end up with 1 thread for each book we've discussed.

Spencer
10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Also, if there are polls on what books we want to be read, or any organizational stuff like that, just pin all those threads, and the forum will be all nice and tidy.

The Lady of Shadows
10-15-2008, 03:17 PM
one more thing then i promise to go away. i thought we had pretty much decided to start with Just After Sunset since it was coming out in november and we would have a long time to read. again, am i wrong? or are we just having a slight change in plans? either way, doesn't bother me. going back to steal hunney from bees now. . . . :)

Ves'Ka Gan
10-15-2008, 03:52 PM
one more thing then i promise to go away. i thought we had pretty much decided to start with Just After Sunset since it was coming out in november and we would have a long time to read. again, am i wrong? or are we just having a slight change in plans? either way, doesn't bother me. going back to steal hunney from bees now. . . . :)

This was discussed...I *do* very much want Jean to be able to participate though.

Would getting JAS be an issue for you Jean? If not, perhaps we can do JAS first, then TKAM second (then the Bear can play twice in a row!)

razz
10-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Something i wanted to request: if you already read the book, and it's possible, read it again.that way you can remember some important...things, that you may have forgotten.

Woofer
10-15-2008, 04:16 PM
It's okay, turtlesong, and I think you are right about Just After Sunset; however, I thought we were waiting until January to give everyone time to get the book and make it through the holidays. If we're going to start November, then someone else will need to take the reins on the first book because I am swamped. I'm sorry!

Ooo, speaking of others taking the reins, I agree that turtlesong and razz are also good choices to help.

I have a huge work project I have to finish by 31 October (overtime even!), so I am bringing my laptop home and working a lot of evenings. You know what's not fun? Updating a website-based technical manual simultaneous to the printable PDF. When we move to data module-based S1000D, updating two versions of the same manual is as easy as updating the appropriate common data module. Plus, I've already had to tell them we cannot add more new information. (1) I don't have the time to verify this, and (2) I have all the bookmarks and hyperlinks mapped. AUGH!

Plus, October is Halloween, and I leave Friday morning for Screamfest in Orlando. *SQUEEE!* My first vacation in 8 years!

Sam
10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
The gist of the discussion, as it pertained to JAS, was that we would be waiting until the book was released in November and the discussion would continue, due to the holidays and the mid-month release, until the new year at the least. I had volunteered to help to guide the discussion for that particular title since I am not working right now, have no children, and my wife's health is doing well, ie. I have the time that many do not have.

However, if we are going to be reading TKAM then obviously things will be different. It should be readily available to many who have access to a library.

Please do not take this as any attempt to usurp this group. I am just trying to let those who have asked what was discussed. I'm just happy we have a book club going here.

The Lady of Shadows
10-15-2008, 07:03 PM
well, all i know is i pm'd the bear to ensure that he wasn't getting JAS from someone else and never heard back. so yes, we should wait until next year for that. and definitely start with TKAM. that is such a wonderful novel. :)

so, ves. looks like you're it on the first run. lucky for you it lasts until january first. :P

Sam
10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Cool. TKAM it is! I will try to find a copy. I think my mother has one. (Haven't been on good terms with my county library since my mother was terminated for unspecified and unrevealed reasons. They used to charge me overdues constantly for books that I never checked out.:pullhair:)

Jean
10-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Dear friends, since it is going to be our first discussion, I find it important that I take part in it, as your supporting mod. Unfortunately, I definitely can't within next year (at least) get any more books, I spent on them a lot more than I could afford when last time in England. If everything goes well, then next book can be whatever you like, but the first time please let it be something I can keep track of.

Sam
10-16-2008, 07:15 AM
:cool::thumbsup:

Woofer
10-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Dear friends, since it is going to be our first discussion, I find it important that I take part in it, as your supporting mod. Unfortunately, I definitely can't within next year (at least) get any more books, I spent on them a lot more than I could afford when last time in England. If everything goes well, then next book can be whatever you like, but the first time please let it be something I can keep track of.

Of course! I can't imagine a first discussion without the bear. *tries* No, and I don't want to even if I could.

razz
10-16-2008, 11:20 AM
in that case, Jean, you should select the first book! :thumbsup:

The Lady of Shadows
10-16-2008, 01:30 PM
ummmmm. razzle dazzle, keep up with the program. he did select the first book. he picked to kill a mockingbird. :wtf:

Ves'Ka Gan
10-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Shall I start a thread letting everyone know it is the first book then?

I think I shall.

razz
10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
well if it's to kill a mockingbird, are we starting now? Since it's a pretty damn old book, nobody should have a problem getting it.

Ves'Ka Gan
10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Where I am sure people will be able to get hands on it--I still think we should wait until Nov. Being that it is a book that is read in US High schools sometimes these books ARE hard to find (when I worked at Borders we always had runs on HS-reading list books). So this will give people a chance to either check it out from the library, track it down at the bookstore or even special order it if it is out of stock.

turtlex
10-17-2008, 07:09 AM
I think this was a good choice because it's also a book that most public libraries have more than one copy of.

Can't wait - really looking forward to it.

"That was the summer Dill came to us."
"Hey Boo."

alinda
10-17-2008, 07:37 AM
AGAINST MY JUDGEMENT, I too intend to read and coment on this book, when do we begin? :)

Ves'Ka Gan
10-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Why is it against your judgment?

In answer to your question--we will begin posting discussion topics on Nov. 1st. We do NOT expect people to be finished by then, this will be a 2 month long book to accomodate for the holidays in Nov. & December so that everyone has a chance to read & participate regardless of their familial obligations/travel plans.

The Lady of Shadows
10-17-2008, 01:25 PM
november 1st i do believe. :)

ETA: now damnit, i know your post wasn't there when i posted this ves. so how in the hell did you do that? fuck it, i'll just hire razzle dazzle to do something nefarious. :wtf:

alinda
10-17-2008, 01:34 PM
To be honest my perception is so different than most folk, I rarely share my thoughts
to a group. One on One I am ok, but this seems like a fairly straightforward book.
Also I love you guys and probably wont feel too awkward discussing it with you.

Ves'Ka Gan
10-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Differing opinions is where most of the fun of a book club lies!

razz
10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
indeed.

turtlex
10-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Sharing perceptions is what a book club is all about, right?

I mean, it's about what you found in a book and maybe opening someone elses eyes to the way you see things, and then helping the next person see something they might have missed.

We're all about the love, even if you hate the book.

There will be no attacking.

Ves'Ka Gan
10-21-2008, 07:42 PM
I think this group has managed to prove that we are very accomodating & accepting of differing view points (or at least hide it wel lwhen we aren't! :P).

I don't believe there is a such thing as a straightforward book when you have an inteeligent and thoughtful group like this discussing it--so it will surely be fun!

razz
10-24-2008, 09:24 AM
after we get a few more threads going and books read, this should probably be made into a sticky thread. it's where we should discuss which book to read, as well as any changes to how we operate.

razz
10-24-2008, 03:12 PM
and maybe rename this thread (at least get rid of the "?"

razz
10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
BTW, we were discussing it, and thought we should suggest books NOT to read for the book club

Moby Dick
Great Gatsby
Almost anything Koontz
Tears of a Tiger (just saying. i hate it. we wouldn't read it anyway. it's a high school book)

The Lady of Shadows
10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
oh my god razzle thank you. i forgot to post that last night. i swear to gan the person who suggests moby dick will be feed to the castle ghosts. and if that doesn't do it, i'll personally leave them for the library ghosts. and then bury what's left behind the castle.

fucking book about a fucking whale and the fucking whale isn't even in the fucking book until the final fucking third of the fucking book. i wasted an entire month in college on that fucking book and refuse to read it again. and will not allow my friends to be subjected to it. and as for the fucking person who decided that english majors have to fucking read moby dick: :shoot:

Jean
10-28-2008, 02:01 PM
oh my god razzle thank you. i forgot to post that last night. i swear to gan the person who suggests moby dick will be feed to the castle ghosts. and if that doesn't do it, i'll personally leave them for the library ghosts. and then bury what's left behind the castle.
No, he wouldn't, because it would be me.

OK, kidding, I am not suggesting it - although I love it. The procedure of suggesting the next book will include voting anyway.

Hint: if someone wants to discuss any other book we are not going to discuss, there are other threads, too... [/hint]

The Lady of Shadows
10-28-2008, 02:20 PM
::narrows eyes at big bear::

shouldn't you be sleeping? :lol:

seriously, it's a book about a f'n whale with no whale in it for fuckingever!

::narrows eyes further at big bear::

reminder to self - send more books to big bear!

jhanic
10-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm probably one of the few English majors that never read Moby Dick. I faked it when it was assigned in college and NEVER regretted it!

John

TLC
10-28-2008, 03:55 PM
:rock: yay no moby dick!!

The Lady of Shadows
10-28-2008, 06:23 PM
faked it! brilliant! why the fuck didn't i think of that? cause i was young and stupid and thought i should listen to my professors and i was at a jesuit college and thought it was good for me?

faked it! fucking brilliant!

:D

Sam
10-28-2008, 06:36 PM
You are a damn trip girl!!!:wtf:

The Lady of Shadows
10-28-2008, 07:41 PM
::bows modestly::

:D

The Lady of Shadows
10-30-2008, 11:23 AM
when we get around to choosing other books may i suggest life of pi by yann martel?

Brice
11-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Didn't you just do just that? Why are you asking if you may then? If you're asking; no you may not suggest it.

Jean
11-02-2008, 05:16 AM
when we get around to choosing other books may i suggest life of pi by yann martel?
yes, sure! I would love people to already start coming up with their suggestions, and then we'll vote! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

The Lady of Shadows
11-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Didn't you just do just that? Why are you asking if you may then? If you're asking; no you may not suggest it.

shutup brice. at least i can spell cthulhu correctly! :P

razz
11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I would like to suggest, that in honor of the Author, we read a Michael Crichton book, after we finish JAS.

Woofer
11-05-2008, 06:24 PM
But not Sphere. Let's read something like The Andromeda Strain or Jurassic Park.

razz
11-05-2008, 06:26 PM
I liked sphere. And if we read Jurassic Park, we should also read The lost world. So i nominate Andromeda Strain for book club.

Woofer
11-06-2008, 02:45 AM
A couple of things ruined Sphere for me.

The biggest problem I had was the scene where they find the weird shrimp "never before seen" and immediately decide to eat some for dinner. *blink*

And I wrote diving manuals.

Arthur Heath
11-08-2008, 08:03 AM
If we want to honor Chrichton I suggest Travels. This is more or less an autobiography of his days in medical school, his transition into writing and how he overcomes his personal fears by traveling world wide. Excellent, excellent book. Even if it is not chosen I suggest it to everyone who loves Chrichton.

razz
11-08-2008, 08:43 AM
I haven't seen that anywhere. not in the library either :cry:
I've been wanting to read it.

Arthur Heath
11-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Amazon my friend. Used ones at 4 bucks.

razz
11-08-2008, 12:23 PM
you gonna buy it for me?
:P

Arthur Heath
11-08-2008, 04:57 PM
:crickets:

:)

razz
11-08-2008, 05:12 PM
didn't think so.

Arthur Heath
11-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I do understand 4 bucks is the equivalent of 2 gallons of gas...Travels would go further.

:P

Jean
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
My dear friends, after our first success with the Mockingbird, the Club, quite unexpectedly, is dying.

I can't take any steps until I know the opinions of each member of the club, but for this it would seem necessary that there be a Chairman - and it looks like Ves is much too busy for this at the moment, and will be in the nearest future. Could someone else, maybe The Lady of Shadows, take charge now, at least temporarily?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Woofer
04-14-2009, 03:35 AM
I am so embarrassed. I meant to be diligent with this, but I couldn't find my book. Some of my books - okay a lot of them - are still boxed up because of how we moved last. And I didn't want to buy ANOTHER copy of Something Wicked. I know I just bought the complete works of Lovecraft and Poe, but those were complete and a bargain and... ugh. I'm sorry for my part. *crawls under a bed and dies*

Jean
04-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Crawl back out, Wolf! We need you. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

alinda
04-14-2009, 05:32 AM
:ninja:

mia/susannah
04-14-2009, 06:18 AM
I would be very interested in joining this book club if it is still going on

jhanic
04-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm also sorry about not being more active. If you've been reading in the collector's forum, you'll note that my wife and I have been having (and are still having) some fairly serious health problems that have taken most of my time. I promise that I'll be more active when these are past.

John

Jean
04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm also sorry about not being more active. If you've been reading in the collector's forum, you'll note that my wife and I have been having (and are still having) some fairly serious health problems that have taken most of my time. I promise that I'll be more active when these are past.

John
our best goodmind to you and your wife, John!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/9_get_well_white_rose_frame.jpg

razz
04-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, since Brice seems to be absent, I can post a few questions about Something Wicked, at start a poll for the next book. we'll leave it up till the end of April, and then we can start anew in May

Jean
04-14-2009, 12:00 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

razz, you'll be my hero!!!

Please don't overlook those three questions (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7255) Browning's Childe already posted, either.

Woofer
04-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Much lupine goodmind to jhanic and wife. :rose: :rose: :rose:

WOOF! Thanks, jean. http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/wolfkiss.gif I'm very upset about not finding my book, but I'm sure it is packed in a box that is not easy to reach. I will try to answer questions from my memory - if folks don't mind. It's a bit rusty at times.

And many, many thanks, razz. You are the shiznit. http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/gangster.gif

Brice
04-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Sorry, for some reason I've found myself unable to get into the book this time. :(

razz
04-18-2009, 06:26 AM
took a while, sorry, but i got the questions up. Many are generic, and came from the TKaM question list.

candy
04-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, since Brice seems to be absent, I can post a few questions about Something Wicked, at start a poll for the next book. we'll leave it up till the end of April, and then we can start anew in May

if you start with a new book at start of may i would love to be involved. love talking about books.

i'll keep me eyes peeled on this thread so i know when the new book comes in
i am a little bit excited now:rock:

Ka-mai
05-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd be interested in joining up, I really need new books to read! I've been rereading the same three series over and over for months and I'm getting depressed. :P

bartonthegreat
05-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Im down like Something that goes up!!! Whats the next book? i just finished Insomnia im ready for anything:)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
I am ready for a new book as well.

razz
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Check the Third Book thread and vote

razz
06-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, after the near death of the book club during the "Something Wicked this Way Comes" discussion, i am pleased to announce that it has made a nearly full recovery!
Just make sure you do you part to keep it alive, and visit the Book Four discussion (http://thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=8491) thread!

Woofer
06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
*wolfhug* RAZZLE DAZZLE TIGER.

Jean
06-16-2009, 10:03 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_flying.gif