PDA

View Full Version : Do ye Ken, my cully? Yar!

Mordred Deschain
06-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Anyone get really into the Dark Tower series and notice yourselves using phrases and words from the series in conversation?
Nothing like trying to explain a huge landscaping project and you realize you've said "do you kennit (ken)?" about a half a dozen times. Our everytime you make a promise, you follow it up with, "I set my watch and warrant on it."
Anyone else?

fernandito
06-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Whenever someone asks me "what do you think?", I usually take a pause and respond with "May I be brutally frank?..." :lol:

Odetta
06-16-2007, 07:27 AM
I say "thankee" and "thankee-sai" a lot
and
"long days and pleasant nights"

Jean
06-16-2007, 10:28 AM
I routinely say "[...], say sorry". I am afraid my students are beginning to use it, too...

alinda
06-16-2007, 10:56 AM
:doh: I cant believe this but yes, I have said "I'd set my watch & warrant on it"

Jean
06-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I also say "Hear me, I beg," but only here or at TDT.net. (At least I think so)

VolsToTheWall
06-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Sometimes, but usually just intentionally when I'm goofing around. I use the lingo online often though.

OchrisO
06-16-2007, 07:57 PM
I have ocassionaly caught myself using ken and kennit. Erin and I used to throw a few back and forth when I was first reading the books.

Matt
06-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I do a little "cry your pardon" to people every now and then.

Its actually really easy because I have always tried to use "pardon me" when I didn't catch something

Instead of "what?" or "huh?"

I know its two different things but there you go. :lol:

Chassit
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I like to say thankee and thankee sai all of the time (most peeps don't seem to notice)

I also say Do ya kennit? and such quite a bit heheheh

XIX

fernandito
06-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Has anyone ever used cully in an actual conversation? :lol:

Ruki
06-20-2007, 10:40 PM
i've caught myself saying sai or kennit or cry pardon a few times. i've had to try explaining ka to a guy at work because he said i'd mentioned it so often. i didn't know i'd ever said a word about ka to anyone.

Mordred Deschain
06-21-2007, 01:03 PM
I've only used cully twice. And, I used it on purpose almost quoteing it from the book, with a "yar" included. Since I finished re-reading (well 200 pages left in the Dark Tower) and I've started to listen to the series (book on tape, er..MP3), it slips more and more.

Hannah
06-21-2007, 02:07 PM
A couple of years ago I may have used "say sorry" or "mahfah" in conversation. But nothing recent.

kithereal
06-25-2007, 09:59 AM
I said Thank-sai to a check out girl ..... ( it just came out ) I must have looked surprised because she gave a weird look....
KIT

Mordred Deschain
06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Today at work I asked a co-worker to palaver.

ZoNeSeeK
08-07-2007, 12:11 AM
No, I tend to not use made up words when conversing with other adults as being perceived as a retard isn't one of my priorities.

(anymore)

8)

OchrisO
08-07-2007, 12:15 AM
All words are made up words.

fernandito
08-07-2007, 09:48 AM
being perceived as a retard isn't one of my priorities.

...too late? :P

Daghain
08-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Owwww. :lol:

fernandito
08-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm a scumbag, aren't I? :)

It's alright though, Josh is a homie, he won't take it up the ass...although he's quite used to that (rimshot). There I go again.

I'm just kidding -I heart you Zone! :P

Daghain
08-07-2007, 11:31 AM
:rofl:

Mordred Deschain
08-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Zone may not kennit that.

ZoNeSeeK
08-07-2007, 03:27 PM

Im just trying to spare others from my ordeal :P

fernandito
08-07-2007, 06:10 PM

Im just trying to spare others from my ordeal :P

:lol:

ZoNeSeeK
08-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm a scumbag, aren't I? :)

It's alright though, Josh is a homie, he won't take it up the ass...although he's quite used to that (rimshot). There I go again.

I'm just kidding -I heart you Zone! :P

I mean - whats love got to do, got to do, got to with it, Nando? Its just a second hand emotion.

Daghain
08-07-2007, 09:14 PM
OMG LOL bad 80's references! AAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!

Jean
08-07-2007, 11:06 PM
... are we still on topic? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

fernandito
08-08-2007, 12:44 PM
...on topic? you mean this isn't the sexually deviant adult thread??!?!111

Daghain
08-08-2007, 12:56 PM
No, it's not. Sorry. I know how much you were looking forward to that. :)

Now, to get back ON topic...

I kind of like using cully from time to time. Catches people off guard. :)

fernandito
08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I usually slip out a "do you kennit?" when I'm chatting from time to time.

ZoNeSeeK
08-08-2007, 03:36 PM
I use all the nasty words that Rhea was so fond of ;)

Allie
12-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I have found myself saying big big quite a lot.

jayson
12-12-2007, 04:23 AM
I have a tendency to say "thankee" to people who will then look at me like I'm an imbecile. It's been awhile since I have cried the pardon of someone who wouldn't get it phrased like that, but I have done it.

Letti
12-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Whenever I can I say or write "I cry your pardon". It's so nice.

Jean
12-12-2007, 07:37 AM
I noticed my students doing the same. It's alarming.

Letti
12-12-2007, 07:39 AM
I noticed my students doing the same. It's alarming.
Alarming? Do you mean you say it a lot? I think it's good. :)

Jean
12-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Hmmm. Hesitant bear: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sara02.gif

Letti
12-12-2007, 07:45 AM
For my part I am sure about it, Jean. :)

Anyway I really wish I could use "Long days and pleasant nights" in real life but it's not so nice in Hungarian.

Steve
12-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I say "thankee-sai," "cully," and "aye" on a regular basis.

tamez
12-21-2007, 12:56 PM
I say YARRRRrrrrrrrrrrr!

Matt
12-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I use popkin a little more than I should I believe :lol:

alinda
12-21-2007, 01:25 PM
I've said all of these & more I'm afraid ......its not too bad @ home, theyre used to it, but at work, I have gotten some strange looks indeed!!

ATG
01-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I've been trying do avaoid saying " do ye ken it? " as I am currently rereading " Wolves of the Calla. "

Daghain
01-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I like "cully". I need to work it into everyday conversation more. :lol:

TerribleT
01-06-2008, 09:06 AM
I like "cully". I need to work it into everyday conversation more. :lol:

Try calling RW that once :rofl: I have GOT to hear what he says about that :D

Ryan
02-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I think the calling someone "My wee squint" is highly underused. I try to work it in whenever I can along with kennit and cully. It's been a while since I've had to cry my bosses pardon..... but there's always next week, who knows

Letti
02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
I have learnt so many important and great words from DT.. :D

childeluke
02-23-2008, 12:24 PM
I've been saying "thankee sai" and "may it do ya fine" a lot. But i say a lot of strange shit so people don't look at me that much when I make a random DT reference. However, when someone recognizes what i said, then i feel elated.

Letti
03-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Could you help me a little bit, guys?
There are some words and expressions I can understand... I have a feeling what they mean and they don't stop me when I am reading... still I can't translate them.

So, here is this 'ken - kennit' thing. What does it really mean and which words is it from? I guess it means... to know something. Am I right?
'I set my watch and warrant on it.' I think I know what it means but... could you tell me how you could say the some with other words?

Thank you.

Jon
03-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Angel... "'ken - kennit" means "understand it?"

and " 'I set my watch and warrant on it.' means "a sure thing" or "you can bet on it."

Letti
03-09-2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks. I knew that "I set my watch and warrant on it" meant something like that but why? What does it mean word by word?
Maybe my question doesn't make any sense to you because it's absolutely natural but I realised I felt the meaning of it from the text because they used it quite often still it's not clear why it means that.
Is it a phrase?

jayson
03-09-2008, 04:20 AM
Thanks. I knew that "I set my watch and warrant on it" meant something like that but why? What does it mean word by word?
Maybe my question doesn't make any sense to you because it's absolutely natural but I realised I felt the meaning of it from the text because they used it quite often still it's not clear why it means that.
Is it a phrase?

i would guess that he means he would wager his watch and his warrant [valuable things] that he is correct. if he were to lose those things, it would be bad, so he'd not set them on something unless he ws pretty positive about the potential outcome. do ya kennit now?

Letti
03-09-2008, 04:23 AM
And what does he mean by his "watch"? It can mean more things. *feels absolutely stupid* :)

jayson
03-09-2008, 04:30 AM
not sure what he means specifically by watch as it could mean something entirely different to roland, but i always took the overall context of "i set my watch and warrant on it" as "i guarantee it" or "take it to the bank"

Lance
03-09-2008, 07:28 AM
I set my watch and warrant on it.[/B]' I think I know what it means but... could you tell me how you could say the some with other words?

Thank you.

One way we would say that here is "I bet my ass on it" :lol:

Mordred Deschain
03-09-2008, 09:03 AM
I set my watch and warrant on it.[/B]' I think I know what it means but... could you tell me how you could say the some with other words?

Thank you.

One way we would say that here is "I bet my ass on it" :lol:

I agree.
Is that saying actually made up by King? Seems like I've heard it in a western movie before. If so, I would say "watch" means time-piece because it's probably the more valuable item in terms of currency that a cowboy would have, besides his guns. So as to say, it is what he's betting that he is correct in the matter. Warrant would seem to be his honor. So he's putting something worth money and his own honor up as the bet.

course I'm just guessing.

Letti
03-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Thank you, guys. Thanks a lot.

Randall Flagg
03-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Letti, there is a bit of over thinking here.
The statement means "I guarantee it". Guarantee means the person is absolutely sure it is correct.
That is all.
Watch (whether an individual owns/possesses one or not) infers accuracy, warrant is a bond (personal assurance-sometimes with money involved).

obscurejude
03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I've picked up "mayhap" as in, "mayhap I'll see you there." People kind of like it though.

fernandito
03-10-2008, 04:18 AM
I've already been made fun of by 2 different people for using 'mayhap' :lol:

jayson
03-10-2008, 04:20 AM
i use mayhap a lot as well. it's one of the handful of Tower-isms I can use without too many odd looks from people. certainly easier to get away with mayhap than thankee or may it do ya fine.

Brice
03-10-2008, 04:22 AM
Mayhap is one word I use very frequently myself. :)

Brice
03-10-2008, 04:24 AM
i use mayhap a lot as well. it's one of the handful of Tower-isms I can use without too many odd looks from people. certainly easier to get away with mayhap than thankee or may it do ya fine.

or you can set your watch and warrant on it. Do you kennit, my cully?

fernandito
03-10-2008, 04:27 AM
Also, 'hile' is apparently my new greeting for when I'm chatting online.

Randall Flagg
03-10-2008, 07:27 PM
There is a bit of over thinking going on here.
"I set my watch and warrant on it" simply means I GUARANTEE it.

obscurejude
03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Mayhap is one word I use very frequently myself. :)

Great minds think alike. :rock:

Jayson is included in this as well. I don't know how to multi quote.

Oh yeah, Feev too I guess...

BillyxRansom
04-08-2008, 07:04 AM
I want to try calling headache medicine "astin" and see what kind of reaction i get from it.

Sheemie Ruiz
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
lol you should totally try it. i often find myself slipping into Tower-isms. which is kinda bad if you work at Disney World...they think you're ripping off pirates or something...lol. someone might ask me where something like the dumbo ride is from adventureland and i'll try to figure out how many "wheels" it is from there, or i'll do the occasional "Yar, here's you're ice-cream cone, my cully" and instead of "have a magical day today", i'll leave them with a mystical "there are other worlds than these"...and they usually say "what" and i'll say "parks, there are other parks than these...one in california, in hong kong, etc..." lol

theBeamisHome
06-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm lucky that I actually try to think of what I say before I let it slip out of my mouth, but I am constantly having to keep from saying things like 'do ya kennit?' or 'do you say so?' for some reasons that's really hard lol. I said 'thankee' before reading DT, but I have to refrain from adding 'sai' to everything when speaking to someone. I know there's other things but I can't think of them all when I'm not thinking about using them lol. I have noticed that I only think of Stephen King as 'Sai King' now, though. I don't think there's any help for that one.

And on the 'set my watch and warrant on it' the meaning wasn't the problem for Lettie, it was the reason for the meaning. I agree with what someone else about 'watch' referring to the timepiece, but I think it's because a watch is very important because it tells time. Time is important because... well it's slipping lol, so if you're so sure about something that you can set your watch on it then you must be pretty damn sure. Hope that helps a lil.

LemurJones
06-06-2008, 05:21 AM
I say yar and thankee-sai and do ya kennit a lot, but because I talk funny and jumble my words up when I talk half the time it comes out "yahhh" and "thanksai" and "da-kent" instead. :| When I have to make the effort to speak like a person with a tongue and teeth and my mouth still attached to my face, it ends up that I don't naturally put those stuff in conversations.

theBeamisHome
06-06-2008, 05:27 AM
I say yar and thankee-sai and do ya kennit a lot, but because I talk funny and jumble my words up when I talk half the time it comes out "yahhh" and "thanksai" and "da-kent" instead. :| When I have to make the effort to speak like a person with a tongue and teeth and my mouth still attached to my face, it ends up that I don't naturally put those stuff in conversations.

:rofl: i love that... i'm in tears lol

Jean
06-06-2008, 07:19 AM
yes, our lemur is a brilliant creature!

LemurJones
06-06-2008, 09:26 AM
aw shucks.... ....*BEARTACKLELEMURKISS*

LadyHitchhiker
06-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I sometimes say "a-yuh" or "thank ye sai, big big"

Ves'Ka Gan
06-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I say "thankee" a lot. I think at first I didn't even realize it was a Tower-ism, I was thinking I had slurred together "thank ye"--of course why would I say that? When I realized what I was doing I had to laugh at myself.

I use Ka, a lot, too, and have had to explain it more than a few times.

Also, my sn--when I talk about writing I often say "I just try to listen to the ves'ka Gan" and of course that one takes a LOT of explaining, luckily I don't get into too deep of conversations about my writing!

bluelph24
08-22-2008, 06:25 PM
i frequently say "Say thankya"

VastOne
08-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Thankee, sai, cry your pardon, Heil Gunslinger, mayhap, and of course, you have forgotten....That is a good one with my kids...(much better than "Do you see my face")

bet my Watch and warrant too

Brainslinger
08-23-2008, 04:20 AM
I kind of like using cully from time to time. Catches people off guard. :)

I was actually watching a film a while back, and I was surprised to hear a guy actually use the word 'cully'.

I was also surprised to find out King got it from English slang since a) I'm an Englishman living in England and b) it's certainly not a word I'm acquainted with.

Not really surprising though as it's actually 17th century (or something like that.)

Strange thing is, when I read it in the book, (I believe it's Gasher who first uses it in the series) it didn't come across as particularly alien either, so maybe I had come across it and just forgot (Possibly in Shakespeare or Dickens? Yeah I know wrong century, but the word might still have been used.).

Another strange thing: I knew what it meant too, although that's probably got more to do with context than anything.

BlainetheMono
10-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Do any of you find yourself using words from the DT series in everyday conversation? I was in a business meeting the other day and said "that's not something I'd set my watch and warrant on..." I also say "mayhap" instead of "maybe" all the time. It drives my girlfriend crazy

Wuducynn
10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
No.

alinda
10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Yes, we all have I'd bet my watch and warrant on from time to time. This topic however is already being discussed elsewhere on the boards and so in all likelihood it will soon be merged with the other thread...Mods?:cowboy:

Wuducynn
10-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes, we all have

We all haven't.

Brainslinger
10-24-2008, 06:26 AM
I think I've written 'mayhap' before, but I don't say it much in conversation. It doesn't strike me as a particularly unusual word, and I think I encountered it before I read the DT books.

As for 'ken', I think that word has been used quite a bit in Scotland, possibly still is. I think the Scottish guy in the British WW2 sitcom Dad's Army says it on occasion. "If ye ken..." Of course as a sitcom character these things tend to be exaggerated, but there were (and I think still are) people who talk like that.

Rab C Nesbit is a Scottish sitcom (set in Glasgow) where you hear a lot of Scots talk like that too. (A lot of Americans would probably think they were talking another language actually.) As a southerner (as in south east England) I can just about work out what they're saying although it's sometimes part guess work.

Another sitcom Last of the Summer Wine is set in Yorkshire. That's quite interesting, as their is a character who speaks a lot using older English type words. He doesn't say stuff like 'cully', but he says 'thee' and 'thou' a lot. I think some people up that way still do, particularly the old-timers. Actually my Dad has used those words sometimes too (and he's a southerner), but only when he is praying. He get's it from the King James version of the Bible I believe. He's a church elder and sometimes prays publicly. It's kind of funny as most public praying is done in modern English but he kept (and possibly still keeps) to the old style.

I don't think I've ever used Tower type words in conversation.

Mordred Deschain
10-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Ya, a lot of it is "pirate" talk too.

But damn, I just listened to The Wolves of Calla and I'm listening to Song of Susanah on audio and damn if I'm not saying it all again!!

Brainslinger
10-29-2008, 02:34 AM
I certainly heard a pirate voice when I read Gasher. (In my head I mean, although I'm sure you realise that. ;) ) The description of his appearance helped too.

shekter
10-31-2008, 06:58 AM
I don't know if I've ever used Dark Tower lingo in conversation, but I do know I've used it when writing, escpecially if I was reading The Dark Tower at the time of the writing.

Doesn't happen so much anymore though.

Silvermoth
11-12-2008, 12:48 AM
I keep describing people as my ka-tet but they don't read the series so I'm considered a bit of a ka-mai

Chap
11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
since english isn't my native language (and I read the books in english), I don't really use any of the terms much in normal conversation :P

But I have found myself to write/think "aye, say thankya, say sorry, say true" etc. when writing here :blush:

Letti
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
It was interesting that when I was going to work in the morning I saw a bunch of ticket inspectors and the first word that came to my mind was ka-tet.
People don't like them... moreover! so you could see from their moving (the way the spoke the way the walked) that they belonged to each other really hard because they shared the khef.
Altought it's understandable why I thought of them as a ka-tet still I felt so much a DT junkie as I was standing there looking at them. :)

Diggity Of The Eld
11-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Never used the words in conversation, but I was tempted to a few times while reading the book.

My favorite is Harrigan of the Holy Gawd-Bombs.

GAWD-BOMB! HALLELUJAH AND WE ALL SAY THANK YA

he's a real character

jinximoose
04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
After reading the series, or during reading it, does anyone ever have the urge to say 'Aye' or 'Sai' to someone throughtout the course of their day? I'm a few books into the series (and completely addicted to it!) :cowboy:

Matt
04-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Totally!

I pretty much say "aye" all the time, I have a hard time fitting "sai" in anywhere but I do it if I can. :lol:

Daghain
04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey jinx, welcome to the site!

There's a similar thread here somewhere - I'm sure eventually we'll merge the two. :D

Kidd Ikarus
04-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I've been doing this soooo much over the last month!!!

Thankee, sai . . . Goodeven, lady-sai . . . Do ya ken? . . . I cry your pardon . . . Hell, I even referred to a conversation I had at work the other day as, "We sat and held palaver." HAhahaha!

jinximoose
04-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I just joined and haven't had time to look into the entire site yet; I thought that might be possible, so I did. But thanks! :shoot:

flaggwalkstheline
04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
oh yeah
I got pissed at my brother one time n called him a pert cully

AlishaRiley
04-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Oh, god, I do this far too much...
Nobody understands it, of course. :P

Chap
04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh, god, I do this far too much...
Nobody understands it, of course. :P
That's the sad part though, The DT series is far from as well-known as it should be. So far, everyone I've mentioned it to has said "huh? never heard of it"

On topic:
I use it a bit too much here, but not so in RL. Since I don't talk English :P

Candice Dionysus
04-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I will sometimes. I like to say Thankeesai to people I work with. Heh.

But I've always used "aye." Like, always. Its been part of my vocabulary since I was about 10 or so.

mia/susannah
04-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I use aye sometimes and get funny looks from people.

pixiedark76
04-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I often say "Cry your pardon" people just look at me like I am crazy! I oftentimes call girls younger than me "Miss Oh So Young And Pretty" when I am upset with them. I call people that I think are intelligent "trig" I tell people that I am speaking DT (Dark Tower) language
Most times people just look at me and say WTF? :wtf:

SigTauGimp
04-03-2009, 07:41 PM
All the time for me.

Trig, cove, Sai, Thank-ee...lots of 'em. :D

jinximoose
04-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I often say "Cry your pardon" people just look at me like I am crazy! I oftentimes call girls younger than me "Miss Oh So Young And Pretty" when I am upset with them. I call people that I think are intelligent "trig" I tell people that I am speaking DT (Dark Tower) language
Most times people just look at me and say WTF? :wtf:

LOL I definately get the 'WTF' look a lot! But it's their loss, so it is!

soylentjillian
04-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I used the term "ken" in a paper for one of my english classes back in high school. I got a high A, she didn't say anything about it. She was an old lady though.

razz
04-03-2009, 08:16 PM
aye, i do

Jon
04-03-2009, 10:55 PM
"Aye" has not left my vocab for some time.

razz
04-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Mind you, i used aye and yar long before i got into the series.
"Sai", I use often, and often even use "thankee-sai"

Darkthoughts
04-06-2009, 03:04 AM
There is an existing thread on this topic somewhere...I will search and merge :thumbsup:

Mordred Deschain
04-07-2009, 07:49 AM
hehe...did you find it!?!?!

:P

Letti
04-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Is "aye" anusual? It's a bit harder for me because I am not a native speaker so it's not easy to tell which expression is out of fashion and which is used.

Is "cry your pardon" special, too?

Mordred Deschain
04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Is "aye" anusual? It's a bit harder for me because I am not a native speaker so it's not easy to tell which expression is out of fashion and which is used.

Is "cry your pardon" special, too?

"aye" isn't unusual....but it depends on where you are from and it's meaning. I mean "aye" or "eh" when spoken, not the spelling. Like razz used some of these terms before reading the series, a lot of the phrases are not neccassarily made up just for The Dark Tower. "Aye", has been used in the past meaning "yes" or "I agree". And I believe it was or is used in Scotland and Ireland (or all of the UK) mainly(?) starting somewhere in the 13th century. Since I'm from Michigan (U.S.), I'm farely close to Canada, and depending the region of Canada and Michigan's U.P., "eh", is usually followed at the end of statement. Eh can mean couple different things, it's either "eh?" ending a question or as a narrative. “So I go to this shrink, eh, and he goes like I don’t have no confidence, eh? I go, ‘No way, man.’ He goes I should take assertiveness training. Weird, eh? Like I’m always supposed to be seeking approval, eh, from, you know, other people? I felt like he could kiss my Royal Canadian, eh? But, sayin’ it woulda been too pushy. Dyuh think?”
:panic:

I think "cry your pardon" is only Dark Tower...not wholey sure...but I can guess it means basically "sorry" but can have different tones depending the situation. I view it simply being "pardon me", like when you do something offense to some one else. Like when you burp outloud, or try to squeeze thru a crowd of people.

Letti
04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I can't help but I use and I used "cry your pardon" quite a lot on my lessons. :)
Thank you for the information.
I thought aye was absolutely normal to use.

Mordred Deschain
04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm sure aye is normal to use, but I think for understanding it, depends on where in the world you use it.

Slash281
04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I actually say "Yar" a lot. Yar is pretty self explanatory and some of my friends are actually saying it too.

obscurejude
04-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I actually say "Yar" a lot. Yar is pretty self explanatory and some of my friends are actually saying it too.

Yar always makes me think of gay pirates for some reason. :orely: I don't know why, but that's the connotation. Not that gay pirates aren't cool.

Slash281
04-08-2009, 08:29 PM
:lol:

I would've never thought of gay pirates in relation to that. In fact I don't think I've ever imagined a gay pirate. Though I would imagine they would be slightly less cool than regular pirates, and slightly more cool than air pirates.

Jon
04-11-2009, 02:57 AM
I'd not noticed how often I use 'if it please ya'" until I was reminded.

Nanidesuka
04-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Yes...i frequently find myself using "thankee" often with a "sai" thrown in at the end. I've started to use "kennit" more, too, as i've started to re-read the series. ^^;

Lily-sai
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
I recently caused a bit of bewilderment in FB, when I stated that I was 'reading Sai King's books'. Sai what? And I swear, I didn't do it in purpose, it just felt natural. =P 'Thankee' is also used a lot. But 'thank Gan' and suchlike I keep here, otherwise someone's going to call the white-coat men to fetch me. :)

Can you imagine my delight when I was once chatting with this sai, who introduced me to the DT books, and he tapped his throat thrice. Ah, we're truly DT junkies, we are.

Lily-sai
05-06-2009, 11:48 AM
One should not allow me to chat with hearing people at parties. Evidence was collected and handed out to me by bride's sweet 12-years old little brother. Apparently I had used such phrases like '.., say sorry.' and '.., say true.' and something about 'pardon', I didn't dare to look more carefully. I'm now burrowing in my shame. :)
(my English was praised, incredibly enough)

Letti
05-11-2009, 01:30 PM
One should not allow me to chat with hearing people at parties. Evidence was collected and handed out to me by bride's sweet 12-years old little brother. Apparently I had used such phrases like '.., say sorry.' and '.., say true.' and something about 'pardon', I didn't dare to look more carefully. I'm now burrowing in my shame. :)
(my English was praised, incredibly enough)

Your English is fine as it is. I love it. And I hope you know I would die happily if I could have a party with you. And if you started to use such phareses... I would die right there because of happiness. :)

Lily-sai
05-11-2009, 01:46 PM
We will have a party in 2010, oh yes? Yes? And then I will drown you with all the Mid-World phrases, you beautiful one. I love thee - AND your sig pic, it's somehow so moving. *sigh* :huglove:

turtlex
05-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I use DT phrases all the time. I love when someone I least expect sudden responds in time. The Tower makes itself known.

Letti
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
We will have a party in 2010, oh yes? Yes? And then I will drown you with all the Mid-World phrases, you beautiful one. I love thee - AND your sig pic, it's somehow so moving. *sigh* :huglove:

I'm gonna be there. Dead or alive I'm gonna, lady-sai. :couple:

TeezBoy
09-04-2009, 05:04 AM
as i am from germany that kind of prevents the usage of any DT-terms..
except the occasional "aye" and "yar", may it do ya just fine xD

Letti
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
as i am from germany that kind of prevents the usage of any DT-terms..

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

(I am from Hungary.)

mystima
09-11-2009, 06:40 AM
"long days and pleasant nights" i have seen on the online game i play a lot and they don't even know what the dark tower is...i thought that was kinda weird.

Letti
09-11-2009, 07:03 AM
"long days and pleasant nights" i have seen on the online game i play a lot and they don't even know what the dark tower is...i thought that was kinda weird.

I think one of them must know it.

Rambo, John J
09-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Yup do it all the time.

In Ireland 'aye' is common enough so that one slips under the radar. I'm fond of using 'mayhap', 'd'ye ken' and 'cry your pardon'.

I made a T-shirt with the phrase "All things serve the Beam" and get questions about it all the time.

I also called someone a 'pert wee cully' the other day and they looked at me in bewilderment.

I agree, it is great though when someone who you'd least expect gets the reference and is able to respond in kind!

Letti
09-16-2009, 07:42 AM
I made a T-shirt with the phrase "All things serve the Beam" and get questions about it all the time.

Man, you rock.

What kind of answer did you give?

alinda
09-16-2009, 07:54 AM
I think that , subconsciously everyone knows that all things serve the beam.:thumbsup:

Rambo, John J
09-16-2009, 02:07 PM
@ Letti, I usually tell them that its kinda like an all mystical energy field that binds everything together. Like the Force - but better.

Then I go home and wonder why I don't have more friends...

:(

Letti
09-16-2009, 10:22 PM
@ Letti, I usually tell them that its kinda like an all mystical energy field that binds everything together. Like the Force - but better.

Hey. :couple: More? I think one good friend is worth more than thousand pals.

Brice
09-17-2009, 01:00 AM
And sometimes if you think too much about not having any friends you miss out on the fact that you likely have more than you think.

Jean
09-17-2009, 03:04 AM

come to the Palaver Castle some day, hopefully starting next week there'll be plenty of bears and wolves and princesses and queens and other animals and people, all very ready to befriend a JJ Rambo.

Rambo, John J
09-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Wow, thanks guys! My tongue was firmly in cheek at that last comment, I do have a few great friends but i'll defintely sign up to palavar castle. How do I get involved?

Apologies if the answer to this question is easily discovered but i've been training and working a lot and haven't had as much time to browse the site as i'd like!

Jean
09-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Wow, thanks guys! My tongue was firmly in cheek at that last comment, I do have a few great friends but i'll defintely sign up to palavar castle. How do I get involved? Easy! You can follow the link in my signature and read up a little first to get the hang of things (for example, joining the Library is highly recommended), or you can just come to the Castle (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=392224#post392224), and post! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

alinda
09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Arrrr, great advice do ye not ken it?:P

Sickrose
11-22-2009, 08:26 AM
The other day I was talking to my boss about a particular pain in the arse client who is causing me a lot of grief. I was just about to say ''he is trig that one'' Before realising it would mean nothing to her and she would probably wonder what I was talking about !

I like the word trig and is very apt!

Anyway the client is a trig cove and wery pert too! Just had to say it!

Zooligan
03-12-2011, 07:19 PM
A great many of those words are used in contemprary or near-past Scotland.

http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~kjt/general/scots.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=4jUZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA388&dq=palaver+trig+-trigonometry+language+ken&hl=en&ei=iDd8TYjrMoGTtwf56Lm6BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The Gasherman
05-05-2011, 08:30 AM
I told a co-worker the other day, "I would hear more about this project you are working on".

beam*seeker
05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
I answer "Same Shit Different Day" almost all the time for how am I doing? (From Dreamcatcher) It's my fargin motto.

Jean
05-07-2011, 05:41 AM
I've recently started my comments on some sites with "Hear me, I beg" - and, luckily, every time it struck me as outrageously incongruous (remembering that people I addressed could hardly understand any words, let alone have read any King) before I posted

Letti
05-08-2011, 03:17 PM
I've recently started my comments on some sites with "Hear me, I beg" - and, luckily, every time it struck me as outrageously incongruous (remembering that people I addressed could hardly understand any words, let alone have read any King) before I posted

What a pity. I would have been interested in their reaction totally. :)

Jean
05-09-2011, 01:01 AM
well, I will have plenty opportunity to check; I will do it next time I post somewhere

beam*seeker
05-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I find myself asking "Do you say so?" whenever I get incredulous comments

Rolandofmosheim
06-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Had this happen the other day, I quoted a customer a price to fix her vehicle and when she asked me if i was certain it would i just popped out with "I set my watch and warrant on it" there was a slight pause and then I get a "Thankee-sai" I made a customer for life:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jean
06-15-2012, 09:23 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

stkmw02
06-15-2012, 10:04 AM
I set me watch and warrant on a lot of things since reading DT. More, though, I end up saying "Well, that's alright then" and - surprisingly - "we are well met". I use billybumbler very often in a number of different contexts. :lol:

bumhug66
10-16-2012, 12:51 PM
i tend to call my dog a bumhug when she gets under my feet and cry my husbands pardon when i burp :)