PDA

View Full Version : Short Stories

Darkthoughts
06-14-2007, 01:31 AM
I hadn't read any of SK's short stories for ages - Different Seasons being the last. But I just got Everything's Eventual, as I'd never read Little Sisters and I realised how much I'd enjoyed his short stories aswell as his novels.

I think his more traditional ghost type stories often work better as a short story - they tend to make you jump more as you know that the suspense is only going to build up for a few pages until you get the scare, so turning the page becomes quite nerve wracking!

Anyhow - just wondered which short stories you all like, or which collections in particular. What,even, would be your ultimate short story collection?

funky dredd
06-14-2007, 05:08 AM
I don't have an ultimate..but I do prefer his short stories. Mainly because I get into them a lot easier than his full stories. The Body is one of my favorites along with The Ledge and a few others.

Jean
06-14-2007, 07:09 AM
I don't like King's short short stories (with a few exceptions), but I love his long short stories - there's a Russian term for a piece of fiction that is much longer than a regular short story, but shorter and not as epic as a novel, but I don't know the English for it (maybe novella?) - like The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet, or Crouch End, or Children of the Corn.

kithereal
06-14-2007, 08:20 AM
The mist is my favorite short story.....I believe it is the very first Stephen King I read.....it was very scary. Looking forward to the movie.
KIT

Darkthoughts
06-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Yep, we use the term novella - infact the very first novella I ever read was Carmilla - Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, that was irrelevant but it popped into my head :lol:

I'd forgotten about The Mist - thats the one about them being trapped in the supermarket right? Yeah, that was good!!

The Body is classic - Stand By Me is also my favourite King movie adaptation.

Jean
06-14-2007, 11:01 PM
thank you Darkthought! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Randall Flagg
06-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Novella:
A prose fiction longer than a short story but shorter than a novel. There is no standard definition of length, but since rules of thumb are sometimes handy, we might say that the short story ends at about 20,000 words, while the novel begins at about 50,000. Thus, the novella is a fictional work of about 20,000 to 50,000 words.

Jean
06-17-2007, 09:52 PM
and thank you Randall! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

(it's interesting that in Russian, the word novella exists, too, and is slightly different.)

Odetta
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Survivor Type

Cutter
06-21-2007, 06:28 AM
besides novella, there is novelette. Around 50 pages is the length, where a novella is around 70-100 pages.

some of King's short stories I've loved (and I'm probably forgetting many):

The Mist
My Pretty Pony (surprisingly)
The Man in the Black Suit
The Little Sisters of Eluria
Quitters, Inc.
The Raft

I guess the last one I've read that I though was very good was:
Umney's Last Case

Collections I would probably name Night Shift as #1, Skeleton Crew as #2 and Everything’s Eventual as #3.

The_Nameless
06-23-2007, 01:39 PM
The short stories were actually the very writings that cemented my love of King. I read The Shining, then went directly to his short stories.

Favourite Short Story Collection: Skeleton Crew

Favourite Short Stories: Survivor Type, 1408, Beachworld, The Mist, The Jaunt, The Raft, The Man That Would Not Shake Hands (Oddly enough), Children of the Corn, Jursalem's Lot, The Crate, Everything's Eventual, The Fifth Quarter, Grat Matter, Lunch at the Gotham Cafe, Night Surf, Quitters, Inc., Riding the Bullet, The Road Virus Heads North, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, Sorry, Right Number (one of the stories that have stuck with me, for reason or another, over the years), Strawberry Spring, Suffer the Little Children, The Ten O' Clock People, That Feeling, You Can Only Say What it is in French, The Moving Finger (hilarious),

Wow, I did not realize how large the list is.

blackrose22
03-30-2008, 03:31 AM
The amount of short stories SK has released over the years is staggering. Most of them are enjoyable and most of them brilliant. When looking at the list of what is popular with others I couldn't believe nobody had The Langoliers and The Library Policeman from Four Past Midnight. Really loved these two stories and also enjoyed the TV movie of The Langoliers that featured Dean Stockwell in it. One of the stories in FPM was also one of my least favorite short stories as I could see where the story was heading and how it was going to end.
Have to buy both Nightshift and Skeleton Crew as I took them on hols one year and left them behind me in the place I was staying.

Rjeso
03-30-2008, 04:19 AM
The short stories were actually the very writings that cemented my love of King.

Favourite Short Story Collection: Skeleton Crew[/b]

Same here. Skeleton Crew was the first King book I ever read, and to this day, I prefer his short story collections over his novels. I have every collection of King short stories out there, and I guess SC is my favorite because it was my first.

Storyslinger
03-31-2008, 07:50 AM
The short stories were actually the very writings that cemented my love of King. I read The Shining, then went directly to his short stories.

Favourite Short Story Collection: Skeleton Crew

Favourite Short Stories: Survivor Type, 1408, Beachworld, The Mist, The Jaunt, The Raft, The Man That Would Not Shake Hands (Oddly enough), Children of the Corn, Jersalem's Lot, The Crate, Everything's Eventual, The Fifth Quarter, Grat Matter, Lunch at the Gotham Cafe, Night Surf, Quitters, Inc., Riding the Bullet, The Road Virus Heads North, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, Sorry, Right Number (one of the stories that have stuck with me, for reason or another, over the years), Strawberry Spring, Suffer the Little Children, The Ten O' Clock People, That Feeling, You Can Only Say What it is in French, The Moving Finger (hilarious),

Wow, I did not realize how large the list is.

This sums it up with a few corrections.

razz
05-25-2008, 01:06 PM
by non-DT i mean Low men in yellow coats, little sisters of eluria etc.
short stories like the mist, which have a small reference or name resemblance are perfectly fine, though

obscurejude
05-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Without a doubt, my two favorites are:

The Body

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

I love me some Different Seasons.

Heather19
05-25-2008, 01:24 PM
The Body is at the top of my list too.

obscurejude
05-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Razz, I just realized the thread is about short stories, but I posted two novellas because you mentioned some. Do you mean to include Novellas, or is it supposed to be short stories?

Favorite Short Story:

Children of the Corn*

*I have actually yet to read Nightmares and Dreamscapes, I know there's some good stuff in there, like the story about the town full of dead rock stars. I'm hoping to find a used copy soon.

Erin
05-25-2008, 06:24 PM
My favorite short story is "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French". What a fantastic story it is.

I also really liked "The Jaunt". That story scared the hell out of me.

*edit* I just realized we already had a SK favorite short story thread, so I merged this with it. :D

Brice
05-26-2008, 04:14 AM
Razz, I just realized the thread is about short stories, but I posted two novellas because you mentioned some. Do you mean to include Novellas, or is it supposed to be short stories?

Favorite Short Story:

Children of the Corn*

*I have actually yet to read Nightmares and Dreamscapes, I know there's some good stuff in there, like the story about the town full of dead rock stars. I'm hoping to find a used copy soon.

^^^^You Know They've Got A Hell Of A Band

razz
05-26-2008, 12:23 PM
the mist is a novella, and that's one of my favorite. so novellas are fine

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 01:23 PM
in no particular order:
All That You Love Will Be Carried Away ("my mother made me a whore. . .if i send her some yarn, will she make me one too?")
Strawberry Spring
The Jaunt
That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French
The Raft

i don't think he's written a short story that i haven't liked but some (like those above) stay with me longer than others.

razz
05-26-2008, 01:24 PM
the raft is good. i wanted to read the jaunt, but i forgot to read it before i returned the library book.

i'm watching the raft on youtube right now.

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 01:47 PM
ummm? library book? you mean there's a sk book out there that one of us doesn't own? :lol:
if i dig my copy of "skeleton crew" out of it's box would you like to borrow it?

razz
05-26-2008, 01:51 PM
or i could buy it new and save 40 dollars on shipping.

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 01:58 PM
oh sweetie, i wouldn't charge you $40 in shipping. a max of $39.95 honest!

Girlystevedave
05-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Strawberry Spring.. (since it was the first SK story I fell in love with)
The Boogeyman

Plus more I can't think of for now

razz
05-26-2008, 02:34 PM
oh sweetie, i wouldn't charge you $40 in shipping. a max of $39.95 honest!
Oh, well THAT'S perfectly reasonable!
:panic::panic::panic:

AIMB
05-30-2008, 10:04 PM
I've been looking for different seasons everywhere, i can't find it. It's been a good 8 years or so since I have read it.

I always like the langoliers, i dont know why it got hated on so much.

razz
05-31-2008, 05:10 AM
besides, I love the library. as long as i stay away from the computer room, it has the largest are in the city void of stupid.

Daghain
05-31-2008, 10:17 AM
I've been looking for different seasons everywhere, i can't find it. It's been a good 8 years or so since I have read it.

I always like the langoliers, i dont know why it got hated on so much.

Have you tried eBay? You can usually find used books on there.

AIMB
06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
yeah when I get a hold of a debit/credit card again I'll do ebay :)

JQ The Gunslinger
08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
What are your favorite short stories?

My favorite ( im still reading all of them) but so far is Cain Rose Up in Skeleton Crew. Its creepy how a kid at college can seem normal too others and then just start sniping ppl.

How about you?

Note: Can you please put the story title and the book which it is from.

Brainslinger
08-24-2008, 03:33 PM
I loved the two Salem's lot based short stories, Jerusalem's Lot and One for the Road.

I don't find a lot of King's stories all that scary (although I like his work) but those two gave me a chill.

They can both be found in the large edition of Salem's Lot and one of his other collections (I forget the name.)

jhanic
08-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Both those stories were collected in King's first collection, Night Shift.

John

gsvec
08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I've always had a thing about Quitters, Inc. from Night Shift. Can't put my finger on it, but I just really like that one. There are more, too, but I'll have to go check since it's been a while since I ready many of the shorts.

William50
08-24-2008, 04:35 PM
My favorite short story is The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe.

Jean
08-24-2008, 09:56 PM
oops, it's a King forum - we're talking about King stories here. Though I love The Black Cat, too, and all other Poe stories!

so, what is your favorite short story by King?

DanishCollector
08-25-2008, 04:13 AM
I find many of King's shorter tales scary or creepy, especially his older ones (from Night Shift, for example).

But since he's such a master when it comes to short fiction, it's hard for me to name just one or two favorites.
One is definitely Home Delivery (in N&D). I love zombie tales and King added a bunch of humor into it as well.

lophophoras
08-25-2008, 04:17 AM
The Boogeyman from Night Shift gave me the creeps.

To this day I make sure no closet doors are left open at night. LOL...

Brainslinger
08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I find many of King's shorter tales scary or creepy, especially his older ones (from Night Shift, for example).

I agree. I largely find his short stories scarier than his novels. (Although I usually prefer the novel stories, as it's not necessarily about the fear for me.) I'll make exceptions for Salem's Lot (the Danny Glick at the window scene is still chilling for me., and Pet Sematary What is it about ghoulish children? Come to think of it, that was one of the things that got me in One for the Road.

Other Short stories I like, would be the stories of Hearts in Atlantis. They certainly qualify as short stories, but I liked the way they interrelate as a whole too (hence kind of forming a novel too.) I liked them all in different ways, but if I had to pick favorites, it would be Low men in Yellow Coats, Blind Willy (a strange tale that one, but I loved it.) the one with the falling er stuff (even stranger), and the end story concerning Bobby. (Actually I think I listed most of them there.) The Carol connection to Hearts in Atlantis (short story) was interesting though.

Randall Flagg
08-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for resurrecting a great thought. I am going to merge this with a preexisting thread.:thumbsup:

William50
08-25-2008, 06:40 PM
oops, it's a King forum - we're talking about King stories here. Though I love The Black Cat, too, and all other Poe stories!

so, what is your favorite short story by King?

So sorry. My favorite short story by King is The Body. It is a novella, but I think it counts.

Heather19
08-26-2008, 02:39 PM
So sorry. My favorite short story by King is The Body. It is a novella, but I think it counts.

Mine too. It's one of my favorite stories he's written.

jhanic
08-26-2008, 03:31 PM
One of my favorites is Weeds. Not the rewritten one in Creepshow, but the original, uncollected version that ran in a couple of the men's magazines. It's a much darker story than Creepshow.

John

TheMightyMonarch
09-13-2008, 05:50 PM
I just finished "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe'" and I'm pretty stunned. The guy doesn't go crazy in the end, right? I think he's just pondering and realizes that he could have gone crazy, and that almost anybody can with enough stuff happening ("Yeah, we all do.") The very very end still freaked me out though. I don't see him going crazy, I just see him kind of having dulled emotions from then on after realizing that. But it was a good story. I also liked Eluria, though they never really said what the Sisters were. Now I got the big one, Everything's Eventual, to read next. And then maybe that Deja Vu one.

3 DOORS DOWN
09-28-2008, 12:35 PM
My favorite short story has to be the body why?
It took me back to my younger days with your mates at the rubbish tip
(looking for pram wheels and planks of wood to build a trolley),swimming
in the quarry lake(which we called blue lagoon)and yes playing on train
lines and daring each other to go into the 1/4 mile tunnel.
Quite a few of his books take me back,and thats just one reason i think
there is no other author that can affect you in the way he writes.