PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Audio Books

Pages : [1] 2

Cutter
06-12-2007, 07:37 AM
I’m looking for Audio Books read by Stephen King. I need to boost my audio book collection. I have:

LT’s Theory of Pets
Blood and Smoke
Bag of Bones

Also, I’m looking for any Audio Books that are dramatized, with different actors for the voices. I have:

The Mist

Now I know there were some limited editions of the Gunslinger or something, but I’m not sure. Anyone who knows of any more audio books read by King or dramatized would be helpful.

EDIT: I edited this thread to remove the question not relating to audio books

Brice
06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
The original Gunslinger, TDotT, and The Wastelands audio were read by SK not just the limited Gunslinger. These are all I know of except for a promo CD of the first chapter of From A Buick 8 and I have only ever seen one of those.

Patrick
06-12-2007, 09:06 AM
I like the idea of a general Q&A thread on collecting, but I'm wondering if SK audiobooks ought to have their own thread (probably in the Cara Laughs forum). Any thoughts?

Ruki
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
the middle section of hearts in atlantis was read by stephen king. in the skeleton crew audiobook (the one with just four stories) he reads the raft. in nightmares & dreamscapes stephen king reads head down, home delivery, and it grows on you (and sorry right number is a dramatization). he also reads needful things and on writing.

the only other dramatizations i've come across are bbc radio dramas. they did secret window secret garden, pet sematary, and salem's lot.

patrick - i can understand this being here, once you get hooked on audiobooks it turns into an obsessive collection. but this forum is mostly about collectible books so cara laughs is probably a better place for an audiobook discussion. i think i'll wait on a couple other opinions instead of just yanking it over there right now since i feel like it sort of belongs in either forum.

funky dredd
06-12-2007, 10:38 AM
I am actually doing a project where I am converting The Gunslinger, DotT and Waste Lands to a digital format for a friend of mine. I never heard SK do the reading and at first I didn't care for them at all, but after listening to them as I record them I actually like the way he reads them. Also something that is funny is that he must have read them in a house or office building, because on a few occassions I can hear a truck drive by and also an old pin fed printer in the background. :D

Randall Flagg
06-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Certainly a King audio books thread would go in Cara Laughs. I do like the idea of a Collectibles Q&A thread. Perhaps this thread can stay as is, with the Audiobook portion copied over to a new thread in Cara Laughs.

Cutter
06-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Certainly a King audio books thread would go in Cara Laughs. I do like the idea of a Collectibles Q&A thread. Perhaps this thread can stay as is, with the Audiobook portion copied over to a new thread in Cara Laughs.

That's fine with me. Honestly I didn't know where to put it. But since I knew the Gunslinger audio Book was A Limited Edition, and I wanted to ask about Six Stories (people don't forget this question, lol) which is a Limited Edition, i posted it here.

And thanks everyone for replying. Ruki some of that info was invaluable. :thumbsup:

Ruki
06-12-2007, 12:25 PM
i couldn't tell ya anything about six stories, i don't have that one yet. glad i could help with the audiobook question though. :)

i like rf's idea, but i can't do it. i can copy stuff from cara laughs to somewhere else but can't copy from here to there, a manager or facilitator in this forum would have to do that.

Brice
06-13-2007, 06:01 AM
King also reads THE REVENGE OF LARDASS HOGAN for the Wavedancer Benefit CD.

Cutter
06-14-2007, 04:30 PM
King also reads THE REVENGE OF LARDASS HOGAN for the Wavedancer Benefit CD.
sweet, thanks Brice!

I now commute about an hour a day, and I've started listening to audio books. But I really have no interest unless they are read by King. All the stuff posted is of interest!

Although I must say audio cassettes stink. I wish they would re-release the older audio cassettes on CD.

Ruki
06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
they're always better when read by the author but once you run out of those you might wanna look into stuff read by frank muller, he's good. but george guidall can suck my ass. fuck his stupid pronounciation and snooty voice :angry:

MonteGss
06-14-2007, 05:43 PM
george guidall can suck my ass. fuck his stupid pronounciation and snooty voice :angry:

:rofl:

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Guidall shouting EEEEE!!!=best moment of my life.

Patrick
06-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Listen to Sissy Spacek read CARRIE. Awesome.

Mordred Deschain
06-16-2007, 05:48 AM
I have the entire Dark Tower (w/ the revised Gunslinger) on MP3. But, I got it off a torrent website. I cry your pardon.

MonteGss
06-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Guidall shouting EEEEE!!!=best moment of my life.

I thought this might be a funny moment. :) I don't want to skip ahead to hear it though. I just start Song of Susannah today.

VolsToTheWall
06-16-2007, 04:12 PM
I just start Song of Susannah today.
*Makes mental note of that for future trivia purposes.* ;)

Ruki
06-16-2007, 04:31 PM
omg 19! i started that one today too.

MonteGss
06-17-2007, 03:42 AM
I just start Song of Susannah today.
*Makes mental note of that for future trivia purposes.* ;)

;) Do what you have to do Ageless! You'll have to answer one of mine first though. I'll be at work for most the day but I'm pretty sure I gave the correct answer to CK's. I'll be able to post another this evening.

omg 19! i started that one today too.

Weird. 19! :)

Mordred Deschain
06-17-2007, 02:41 PM
It'a all 19

Cutter
06-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I just saw over at Simon Says, that Duma Key will be read by King. Who Hoo!

Ruki
06-20-2007, 10:14 PM
cool :) i'll make sure to order that

Randall Flagg
06-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Although I must say audio cassettes stink. I wish they would re-release the older audio cassettes on CD.
Simon & Schuster to release The Mist in 3d audio on CD: (http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cfm?tab=31&pid=592159)

Matt
06-26-2007, 09:42 AM
I just saw over at Simon Says, that Duma Key will be read by King. Who Hoo!

That right there is GREAT news!!

tamez
06-26-2007, 10:05 AM
yay! that is great news
the only other person i enjoyed hearing
read his work was William Hurt
mostly because he's one of my all time fave actors.
i wish king had the time and inclination to read everthing.
especially the last dt books dammit!
grrr :P

Ruki
06-27-2007, 10:54 PM
william hurt was so amazing reading hearts in atlantis, i wish he'd read more of them, there's just no way to describe how great he is at it.

just realized sk reads parts of rose madder :) it was a nice surprise to hear him when i was expecting the whole thing to be read by blair brown.

Mordred Deschain
06-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Ya, I'm listening to The Gunslinger (revised) and can't remember who's reading it, but I'm not impressed.

Ruki
06-28-2007, 09:28 PM
if it's revised the reader must be george guidall.

tamez
06-29-2007, 04:31 AM
Ya, I'm listening to The Gunslinger (revised) and can't remember who's reading it, but I'm not impressed.

i'm listening to that right now too
and he just sucks ASS.
on the cover it says he's read over four hundred audio books?
pfft, he's got like two different voices...
and they both sound crappy. :pullhair: especially
compared to King's reading.
rip off!

Matt
06-29-2007, 06:06 AM
I kind of agree, I got real tired of the mans "Jake" towards the end.

:rofl:

Two voices is totally true.

Ruki
06-29-2007, 03:18 PM
i'll say this for him, i noticed toward the end of the series that his roland is pretty good. i don't know if he improved on that one voice or if i'd just not noticed before because he reads everything else as though it were a fucking instruction manual.

Mordred Deschain
07-01-2007, 06:26 AM

and he just sucks ASS.
rip off!

it's not to big a deal, I guess, but just can't get into it with that dudes voice. I think they shoulda got Clint Eastwood to read it.

MonteGss
07-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Mordred, I think most people around here agree that Frank Muller (who read the original Gunslinger and Books 2-4) is better than George.
I will agree with Ruki though, George's Roland voice is shaping out to be pretty badass.
(I'm currently about half way through his reading of DT7)

Wuducynn
07-01-2007, 08:32 AM
but george guidall can suck my ass. fuck his stupid pronounciation and snooty voice :angry:

I have to second Monte's :rofl: with several of my own... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that was one of the funnier things I've seen today...

Not that I agree with you though, I like his voice, but he seems to take awhile to make his female voices not sound alike and his pronounciation is off at times.

tamez
07-01-2007, 08:34 AM

and he just sucks ASS.
rip off!

it's not to big a deal, I guess, but just can't get into it with that dudes voice. I think they shoulda got Clint Eastwood to read it.

UG! to me it's a big deal.
i finally finished it last night
and when i heard him say "go then, there are other worlds than these"
I almost puked it was just heartless and dead and boring.
:angry: that's just one example...
like i said before, it probably wouldn't be too big a deal
except that i've listened to King read it about a hundred times
i'm used to that.

MonteGss
07-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Tell us how you really feel tamez. :)
:lol:

tamez
07-01-2007, 08:42 AM
:onfire: << me
lol

i wonder if someone has converted
the King read audio tracks on to MP3
because it really needs to be done
i found the gunslinger on torrent
but, the listing doesn't say who read it :orely:

MonteGss
07-01-2007, 08:44 AM
If somebody had a mp3 of King's reading.....they just better make it available to everyone!

tamez
07-01-2007, 09:04 AM
i confess i just clicked on that underlined
part of your post hoping it was a link :excited:
:blush:

MonteGss
07-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh! Sorry! I didn't mean to get your hopes up and have them slam to the floor. :)

tamez
07-01-2007, 09:16 AM
i thought that was pretty funny :P
every MP3 i found this morning was ol G.G. :orely:

tamez
07-01-2007, 09:24 AM
ok, i think it would be easier to just convert
the cassettes myself
although i have a mac and the only tape player
i have now is in my car
grrrr
there must be a way! :orely:

tamez
07-01-2007, 09:53 AM
excuse my triple post
but, this was too neat not to share.
here is a link to an interview of King
about the Wavedancer Foundation, Frank Muller
and Audio books in general.
his answers are in audio :D
i love hearing his voice
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/subjects/audio/features/qa_stephenking.asp

Mordred Deschain
07-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I downloaded the entire series from Torrentspy.

funky dredd
07-02-2007, 07:08 AM
I am currently working on the first four DT books read by SK. So everyone just sit tight. They are from cassettes and I am going through and cleaning them up and encoding them to a hight bit rate (320). I have had a few pm's on this already. I have the first 3 and half books done, I would have more done, but I went on vacation last week :D
Although I am not sure that it is legal to distribute them....

Mordred Deschain
07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
I am currently working on the first four DT books read by SK. So everyone just sit tight. They are from cassettes and I am going through and cleaning them up and encoding them to a hight bit rate (320). I have had a few pm's on this already. I have the first 3 and half books done, I would have more done, but I went on vacation last week :D

I am interested...I say Thankee sai!!

Matt
07-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I believe, if its not for profit, you should be okay.

I would love to have a look myself. :D

funky dredd
07-04-2007, 07:23 AM
:D

MonteGss
07-04-2007, 09:37 AM

Me! Me! I'm interested too. :D

Wuducynn
07-04-2007, 11:24 AM

I am interested too..but he never read Wizard and Glass.

funky dredd
07-05-2007, 04:55 AM
No he does not, the project I am working on is the first four books.

Wuducynn
07-05-2007, 05:50 AM

Right and I'm telling you he doesn't read Wizard and Glass which is the fourth book. Stephen King only read the first audio editions of books 1-3. Muller so far is the only one to read Wizard and Glass. Muller read the second audio editions of 1-3. Guidall has read the third audio edition of The Gunslinger and the last three books in the series.

funky dredd
07-05-2007, 08:44 AM

Right and I'm telling you he doesn't read Wizard and Glass which is the fourth book.

Didn't I just say that above...

Cutter
07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Anyway I would love to get the first three books. I've never heard them read by King. Let us know if that's ever possible Funky, thanks!

Wuducynn
07-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Wuducynn
07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Anyway, that's a cool little project you got going.

Wuducynn
07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Anyway I would love to get the first three books. I've never heard them read by King. Let us know if that's ever possible Funky, thanks!

They're also available on eBay, just so you know.

funky dredd
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM

I was clarifying what you had already said, that he didn't read the fourth book.
Yes, it's a cool project but at time can be very frustrating considering how bad of shape a couple of the tapes have been in. But those are all fixed and hopefully the rest of the tapes won't give me any trouble.

Wuducynn
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm hoping that King will read the whole series one day...I know don't hold my breath. I really think he did the best job reading of them all and I loved the music and sound-effects that he had with his readings.

funky dredd
07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
The first one doesn't have any sound effects, unless of course you count the trucks driving by occasionally and the pin-fed printers that you hear in the background. The first time I heard the trucks I couldn't figure out what the sound was and then it dawned on me that it was a truck. I really got a chuckle when I heard the printer :D

Daghain
07-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Okay so now you all have me confused. Is my thinking correct?

King read 1-3. Muller read 1-4. Some idiot that no one likes read 5-7?

I am thinking about putting them all on my iPod, but I don't want to deal with crappy readers. Remember I'm an English major and picky.

Help me out here, people! :)

Wuducynn
07-06-2007, 05:11 AM

I am thinking about putting them all on my iPod, but I don't want to deal with crappy readers. Remember I'm an English major and picky.

King read the first editions of 1-3, Muller read the second editions of 1-3 and Wizard and Glass. Guidall read 5-7.
By the way, I like Guidall in some ways more than Muller and I like Muller in some ways more than Guidall. So it's not true that "no one likes" him.

Daghain
07-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Well thanks, that clears it up a bit. :)

MonteGss
07-11-2007, 07:13 AM

King read the first editions of 1-3, Muller read the second editions of 1-3 and Wizard and Glass. Guidall read 5-7.
By the way, I like Guidall in some ways more than Muller and I like Muller in some ways more than Guidall. So it's not true that "no one likes" him.

I have them on my iPod and it's great! I am nearly done with my first audio "read" of the series and I have enjoyed both readers. I am just picky on some of the differences in the voices each reader does. Go ahead and put them on your iPod Daghain, you won't be disappointed. Personally, I think Muller may be a tad better than Guidall though. :)

Wuducynn
07-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I have them on my iPod and it's great! I am nearly done with my first audio "read" of the series and I have enjoyed both readers. I am just picky on some of the differences in the voices each reader does. Go ahead and put them on your iPod Daghain, you won't be disappointed. Personally, I think Muller may be a tad better than Guidall though. :)

Have you heard the King-read editions yet?

Matt
07-11-2007, 09:44 AM
I really loved the Muller readings, not as much as King, but almost

Guidall didn't bother me much but he was like a blueberry compared to a pecan pie. good but not great.

I would love to do that for a living though

Daghain
07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Hmmm, now I have an excuse to use that iTunes giftcard..... :)

MonteGss
07-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Have you heard the King-read editions yet?

No, I am waiting for a fine individual to offer them to me in mp3 format. ;):) I spent a bit of money on ebay to obtain the audios that I currently have and I am not prepared at the moment to dish out more....especially since I've only come across King's readings on cassette. :( I don't even own a tape player any more.

MonteGss
07-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Hmmm, now I have an excuse to use that iTunes giftcard..... :)

Last I checked, you can purchase all but The Gunslinger via iTunes. :(
I would suggest eBay Daghain, it will be much cheaper for you.

Daghain
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I saw that too. Did anyone read the original Gunslinger? Or just the revised?

Ruki
07-12-2007, 03:29 PM
king and muller both read the original.

Daghain
07-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Cool!

Mordred Deschain
07-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I saw that too. Did anyone read the original Gunslinger? Or just the revised?

I've read the original and listened to a quarter of the revised.

Daghain
07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
LOL I meant as an audio book. But hey, that's good too. :)

Mordred Deschain
07-21-2007, 05:44 AM
:thumbsup:

Patrick
07-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I've listened to both the King original and Guidall revised editions of The Gunslinger.

I agree with All Hail, Guidall and Muller each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I like them both.

If you're serious about downloading audiobooks (legally), a monthly subscription to audible.com is much cheaper than buying the downloads as one-off transactions, and far less expensive than buying CDs.

Matt
07-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Hmmmm...this may be exactly what I need. Thanks Patrick.

Of course, it means I'll need an IPod right? or do you perhaps simply burn them to disc? That would be great!!

Patrick
07-21-2007, 11:30 AM
I download them to my iPod, but, yes, you can burn them to CD as well.

I have the subscription where I pay about $21 for any two books in their catalog (per month). They're mine to keep (as opposed to those services that self-destruct after some period of time). So, yeah, ten bucks an audiobook is really cheap in my opinion.

Matt
07-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Seriously!!

That is great, may be a really cool way for me to get the stuff I can't find in libraries around here. :nana:

Ruki
07-22-2007, 04:56 AM
do they offer any other deal than two per month?

Matt
07-22-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm going to check it out. I figure I could do the two per month and squirrel them away (since you own it) even if I don't get a chance to listen to both in that month.

ZoNeSeeK
07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
its weird, im 2/3 of the way through W&G (ive listened to the first 3 on audiobook so far) and have just lost interest. This has happened when ive reread the series before, dunno why. Maybe its just a hump i need to get over ;)

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
See when I was listening the the revised Gunslinger, I lost interest. I'd almost rather read it than hear that guys voice.

Wuducynn
07-25-2007, 01:56 PM
See when I was listening the the revised Gunslinger, I lost interest. I'd almost rather read it than hear that guys voice.

Really? I love George Guidall's voice. Especially his Roland, which under King himself, is the best Roland I've heard.

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Well, I really can't debate the issue, I've never listened to the Stephen King edition. There's just something about Guidall's voice I don't like, but that's just me. Like I said before, I think if I heard Clint Eastwood reading it, I might like it.

funky dredd
07-26-2007, 05:17 AM
I had the chance to pick up SoS over the weekend for $8 and it is read by George. I kind of like the way he tells it, I have never listened to any of the audio books except for the one's that King did (the one's I am currently digitizing). I haven't found a single thing to dislike yet, but I do love audio books because I always compare how I would do the voices while reading compared to how they do them. Most of the times their's is better than mine. :D

Wuducynn
07-26-2007, 08:56 AM
I had the chance to pick up SoS over the weekend for $8 and it is read by George. I kind of like the way he tells it, I have never listened to any of the audio books except for the one's that King did (the one's I am currently digitizing). I haven't found a single thing to dislike yet, but I do love audio books because I always compare how I would do the voices while reading compared to how they do them. Most of the times their's is better than mine. :D

Guidall does a great job except for sometimes his characters sound too much alike, with the exception of Roland.

funky dredd
07-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I haven't really gotten that feeling yet. Maybe the more I get into it I might, but as of now I don't hear it. I probably should check out some of his other readings to really make an honest opinion (as in non DT readings) as this is the first time listening to him.

Mordred Deschain
07-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Heh...I only made it to "beans beans the magical.." and then I shut it off.
Honestly, Stephen King had Clint Eastwood in mind when he created Roland, why not have the MAN read it?

Matt
07-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Clint can't read!! I thought everyone knew that. :lol:

I am kidding but I did hear somewhere that the reason he doesn't ever voice adds or anything like that is because he isn't a good reader

Mordred Deschain
07-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Clint can't read!! I thought everyone knew that. :lol:

I am kidding but I did hear somewhere that the reason he doesn't ever voice adds or anything like that is because he isn't a good reader

:lol: never thought of that!!! I guess when I try to think of how many lines he had in his movies, wasn't very much. It was more of the bad ass look!

Anyway, I just couldn't get into Guidall. Maybe if I skip into the next chapter I might change my mind. Of course, it's hard to mow lawns and listen to someone reading a book.

Cutter
08-07-2007, 03:26 PM
ok, I'm now officially hooked on audio books; just finished Carrie and Sissy Spacek was awesome!

I also saw the the Gingerbread Girl will make a audio release. More the merrier I say.

btw, I saw The Talisman is abridged, but is still at 24 CD's. So I can't see that a lot is cut out. Can anyone give a recommendation on this one, is it worth buying?

MonteGss
08-07-2007, 08:17 PM
No abridged is worth buying, imo.

Daghain
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Agreed. I'm picky that way. Shorten it? NO WAY. :nope:

MonteGss
08-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah, abridged versions are for lazy people. :(

Daghain
08-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Yep. I read the paperback of The Stand when it came out, and when the longer version hit paperback, I HAD to read it.

I can't help myself. :lol:

MonteGss
08-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I did the same. :)
Anyway, I was going through my iPod today on my drive to work and couldn't really find anything that I wanted to listen to so I put on The Gunslinger again. I guess I'll just listen to the whole series again. :) For some reason, I think Guidall does alright reading DT1...after hearing the whole series once before. I didn't like him that much the first time I listened to him.

Daghain
08-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Do you know where you can find the original Gunslinger on audio? Because I can't find it.

Yeah, I'm anal-retentive that way, I try to get EVERY. FREAKING. VERSION. :lol:

MonteGss
08-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I WISH I knew. CK and others have said eBay but I have never actually seen it there in my searches. Either by King or Muller. :(
I'll check again.

Wuducynn
08-07-2007, 09:29 PM
What I don't understand is if King is so opposed to abridgments of his works (as I am) why he allows them? For instance, The Regulators on audio is abridged. I love The Regulators and Desperation and it annoys me that he would let them make an abridged audio version. Right now we're listening to Dreamcatcher, which has one of the best audio readers I've heard read any book on CD or tape I've heard.

MonteGss
08-07-2007, 09:36 PM
I found an audio of The Gunslinger read by King on eBay but it is on cassette. I have no way to transfer that to my iPod. I don't own any tape player. :(

Daghain
08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Man, I don't either. Even DBF finally ditched the dual-casette player because it finally tanked on him.

Wait...he has cassette player in his Windoze machine, because he's transferring his books on tape to CD.

*runs to ebay to look for a deal*

MonteGss
08-07-2007, 09:46 PM
:cry:

Daghain
08-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Why are you crying? LOL. I just found one on Ebay, and my bid right now is $6.25. :D

If I get him to transfer it, maybe I can send it to you somehow. :wub:

It always pays to date a software engineer. :)

Cutter
08-08-2007, 05:55 AM

but I've already read the book over three times, at least. I was just thinking it would be supplemental. Even then do you think it would suck?

MonteGss
08-08-2007, 07:02 AM

but I've already read the book over three times, at least. I was just thinking it would be supplemental. Even then do you think it would suck?

Yes. :)

Cutter
08-08-2007, 09:48 AM

Yes. :)
yea, probably, that's too bad to abridge such a great book.

Oh I'll try to go through all the unabridged novels first, and then maybe. we'll see *shrug*

Ruki
08-09-2007, 03:26 AM
i didn't even realize he's allowed abridgements, somewhere on one of my audiobooks he specifically says that he won't do that. weird.

original gunsliger on audio:
ends today (http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Gunslinger-Dark-Tower-I-King-1998-Audio-Book-EUC_W0QQitemZ280139985686QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29792Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
3days (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-THE-GUNSLINGER-AUDIOBOOK-TAPESS-DARK-TOWER_W0QQitemZ130141061680QQihZ003QQcategoryZ378Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
4days (http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Gunslinger-THE-DARK-TOWER-1-Stephen-King-Audio-cass_W0QQitemZ320145082662QQihZ011QQcategoryZ29792 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
any listing that's four cassettes instead of six should be muller's recording of the original.

MonteGss
08-09-2007, 03:39 AM
Thanks for those links Ruki! Awesome.
I am watching another one in MyeBay too. I do have a question. Were either Frank's reading or King's reading ever released on CD? Has anyone ever seen this?

Daghain
08-09-2007, 06:35 AM
That first one is mine. Mitts off! :lol:

Matt
08-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Its so cool people are getting into the audio.

I was able to get an unabridged version of the Tailsman at the library--I would never listen or buy an abridged version.

Daghain
08-09-2007, 08:27 AM
I was able to get an unabridged version of the Tailsman at the library--I would never listen or buy an abridged version.

Me either. I think I'm taking a road trip to Michigan in October so I thought that might be a good time to check them out.

MonteGss
08-09-2007, 03:04 PM
That first one is mine. Mitts off! :lol:

We'll see...
:)

Daghain
08-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Remember, you have no way to transfer it to your iPod. I do. :D

MonteGss
08-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Don't worry my dear, I'm just joshin' you. I'm actually watching a couple others, including a Stephen King read version.

(Also, I'm crossing my fingers that if I pay you shipping, you will send me CDs or mp3s :wub: :wub:)

Daghain
08-09-2007, 07:11 PM
You know I will. :D

I just sent in payment for it. :D

MonteGss
08-09-2007, 07:13 PM
:wub:

Daghain
08-09-2007, 07:14 PM
It better be major :wub:, buddy. :lol:

MonteGss
08-09-2007, 07:23 PM
What can I do to prove myself? :wub:

Errr, maybe that should be in a different thread?

*wonders if there's a R-rated thread*

Daghain
08-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Cute. :lol:

I believe you. :)

Wuducynn
08-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Blaze on audio cd, anyone listened to it yet? If so, hows the reader?

funky dredd
08-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I listened to it, pretty good. The reader is Ron McLarty, he also read Salem's Lot.

Wuducynn
08-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks Funky

Mordred Deschain
08-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Okay, I'm starting to like the Gunslinger. Guidall's voice isn't erking me anymore.

Ruki
08-11-2007, 10:33 PM
i'm listening to blaze right now, it's good. i like the guy reading it.

tamez
08-12-2007, 08:08 AM
I also enjoyed listening to Blaze
it went by too fast though :cry:

Cutter
08-13-2007, 10:18 AM

Actually it is unabridged. I screwed up, and thought it was abridged, but like I was saying it was 20+ CD's so I was going what could they have left out?

anyway, I just ordered it today?

Also bought Blaze over the weekend at 30% off from B&N. Going to start that after I finish A Clockwork Orange.

jhanic
08-13-2007, 04:35 PM
The original Stand, Desperation and The Regulators ARE out there in unabridged tape audios. I have them. They are hard to find, but they sometimes show up in eBay. The Stand is still available from the publisher:

Stephen King Unabridged (http://www.booksontape.com/search.cfm?author=465)

It's fairly expensive, though.

John

funky dredd
08-14-2007, 05:07 AM
Wow I might order The Stand and convert it to cd. Thanks John!

Erin
08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
I just checked my first audiobook out from the library! I've never listened to one before, but i'm enjoying it like crazy.

I'm listening to The Drawing of the Three read by Frank Muller. He really sounds just like an evil Casey Kasem to me. :lol: I love how crazy he gets when he says the da-da-chum da-da-chick parts.

Matt
08-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Oh man, Muller's recorded version of DotT has go to be one of the best performances ever!!

Erin
08-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I know! I almost wrecked my car from laughing so hard and being so surprised when he made the first lobstrosity noise!

MonteGss
08-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Oh man, Muller's recorded version of DotT has go to be one of the best performances ever!!

It is awesome! I still think they all time best part for Muller is his Susannah saying her lesson at the beginning of Waste Lands. Chillingly good. :)

jhanic
08-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Pet Semetary Dramatization (http://cgi.ebay.com/Pet-Sematary-BBC-Radio-Audio-Cd-Set-Stephen-King-New_W0QQitemZ190145962916QQihZ009QQcategoryZ29792Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

John

Cutter
09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Pet Semetary Dramatization (http://cgi.ebay.com/Pet-Sematary-BBC-Radio-Audio-Cd-Set-Stephen-King-New_W0QQitemZ190145962916QQihZ009QQcategoryZ29792Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

John

Thanks John. I ended up buying this one through Amazon.com but I haven't listened to it yet. I just finished Lisey's Story, which I though Mare Winingham was just great. She had the fathers voice down perfectly. I'm now currently listening to Blaze.

One thing of note, a month or so ago I tried listening to The Gunslinger read by George Guidall. And I couldn't make it longer than 10 minutes before I gave up and just admitted that I hate this guys voice. It was just horrible. :angry:

MonteGss
09-11-2007, 09:45 PM
One thing of note, a month or so ago I tried listening to The Gunslinger read by George Guidall. And I couldn't make it longer than 10 minutes before I gave up and just admitted that I hate this guys voice. It was just horrible. :angry:

I felt that way at first as well. It takes some time...
I wish I had Muller's reading of it too though.
I do prefer Muller but George grows on you after a while. :)

Matt
09-12-2007, 06:11 AM
I totally agree. His characters all sound like old people--even the kids but I think he does okay.

Cutter
09-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Well considering I don't have a choice with the DT 5-7 books, I might be listening to George again. Right now I don't want to buy the audio versions, but who knows, I would love to enjoy the DT 5-7 in audio form, so we'll see.

Wuducynn
09-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Well considering I don't have a choice with the DT 5-7 books, I might be listening to George again. Right now I don't want to buy the audio versions, but who knows, I would love to enjoy the DT 5-7 in audio form, so we'll see.

While I really like Guidall, the best ever is King and I'm hoping and praying he'll read the whole series someday.

Daghain
09-12-2007, 10:56 AM
That would totally rock. :D

Patrick
09-12-2007, 11:01 PM
I totally agree. His characters all sound like old people--even the kids but I think he does okay.

:lol: Matt, you nailed it.

Like Monte said though, you get used to Guidall after some time.

Daghain
09-13-2007, 07:54 AM
DBF didn't particularly like The Gunslinger story, but he totally loves Mueller's voice - I need to see what else he read to get for him.

He says it's a good voice to fall asleep to. :lol:

Matt
09-13-2007, 08:29 AM
There are many great books that he has done. After I ran out of stuff, I looked for books that he had read regardless of what they were about. :lol:

All sounds like The Tower to me.

MonteGss
09-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Muller's performance in The Wastelands is so friggin good! Better than his Drawing of the Three! I could listen to this series over and over. (oh, wait, don't i already do that?)

Daghain
09-14-2007, 12:06 PM
That reminds me, Monte, I have something for you. :D I'm out of town right now, but I'll PM you when I get back.

MonteGss
09-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Have I told you how cool you are?

Daghain
09-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Yes. But you can totally tell me again. :lol:

ZoNeSeeK
09-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Is muller the one that sounds like the marlboro man with a gravelly voice? Ive got DT1 - 4 on audiobook and thats what the guy sounds like, he does the voices etc pretty well though.

MonteGss
09-17-2007, 05:14 PM
I've never thought of him that way before Zone, but yeah, kinda. I like that description. :)

Daghain
09-17-2007, 05:20 PM
That's exactly what he sounds like! :lol:

tamez
09-17-2007, 05:20 PM
good GOD i need a new audio book
but, i'm broke. grrr
maybe after i get paid.

Daghain
09-17-2007, 05:21 PM
eBay is your friend. :D

MonteGss
09-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Enjoying The Dark Tower on audio is a given. I knew I would like it but I'm not sure I want to venture into any others. I really enjoy the actual reading of books. I don't know. :unsure:
Besides DT, which SK audio is "best?" How about The Stand? It? The Talisman/Blackhouse?
Also, audios are kinda expensive. Maybe I'll search some eBay later. :)

tamez
09-17-2007, 05:29 PM
I like Hearts in Atlantis a LOT :nana:
but i haven't listened to the other three you mentioned either
i think I want to get the Talisman next
i use my Ipod for them now :excited:

MonteGss
09-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah, iPods rule. I use it more for listening to DT and one other audio I have (not a big fan of that one) than I do for music now. :)
I am starting Hearts tonight, I've only read the back cover and can't wait to begin.

tamez
09-17-2007, 05:31 PM
i know you are going to love it. :clap:

MonteGss
09-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Me too. :) ;)

tamez
09-17-2007, 05:34 PM
I wish I could read it again, for the first time :orely:

ZoNeSeeK
09-17-2007, 10:42 PM
I havent read it either

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 06:30 AM
it helps with a few DT tie ins

Matt
09-18-2007, 06:34 AM
I had a hard time with it, I should listen to it again.

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 06:36 AM
I know, I had to go back through a couple times to get it all

MonteGss
09-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Muller's interpretation of Gasher is spot-on. :lol:
It cracks me up.

Daghain
09-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh no, his Zoltan made me snort Diet Coke through my nose.

Too funny!

MonteGss
09-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I haven't heard his Zoltan before. I've only heard Guidall's. :(

Daghain
09-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh, trust me, you'll die lauging. :lol:

Patrick
09-19-2007, 12:01 AM
I like Hearts in Atlantis a LOT :nana:
but i haven't listened to the other three you mentioned either
i think I want to get the Talisman next
i use my Ipod for them now :excited:

Yeah, iPods rule. I use it more for listening to DT and one other audio I have (not a big fan of that one) than I do for music now. :)
I am starting Hearts tonight, I've only read the back cover and can't wait to begin.

I download audiobooks ot my iPod as well. In case anyone joined this thread later and missed it, audible.com is a great place to get audiobooks. There's a short discussion of it back on the top of page 4 of this thread.

Storyslinger
09-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks Patrick, I'll be sure to check it out

MaraJShakespeare
09-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I've got the audio version of On Writing, which he read himself (of course), on 8 CDs. It doesn't have the editing section including part of 1408, naturally, as there would be no way to represent that auditorially. Otherwise, it's truly great; listening to King tell the important stories of his life and share his advice on the craft is a more intimate experience than reading it (the part where he describes his dreadful accident his particularly good). It's also very funny, and that comes through more in the audio programme than it does in the text. For those of you who haven't read it, I'd wholeheartedly recommend getting it on disc. Now, if only we could have Danse Macabre this way. . .

MonteGss
09-29-2007, 07:22 AM
I still wouldn't touch Danse!!!! :)

Daghain
09-29-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm not a big audiobook fan - I have the DT books now but that's probably all I'll every get. I prefer the whole experience of reading the books. :D

But yeah, Monte, I agree with you. :D I may try Danse again, but I don't know if I'll finish it or not.

MonteGss
09-29-2007, 10:16 AM
I will NEVER try it again. One try was enough to know it was boring. :)

It will be interesting for me when I decide to re-read The Dark Tower again and see what my reaction will be to it now that I have listened to the whole thing twice (well, I'm in the middle of the second time). Sadly, I probably won't revisit the books again for some time becuase I am trying to read all the books I haven't read first. :)

flair
09-29-2007, 10:16 PM
I also enjoyed listening to Blaze
it went by too fast though :cry:

Same here for both. Is it just me or is that stephen king actually reading?

Brice
09-29-2007, 10:20 PM
It was read by Ron McLarty I believe.

Harrald
09-30-2007, 05:23 PM
You might want to check your library. In my area there are almost 30 library's that can send and share everything. Since I'm pretty cheap it's the way I get most of my books. Also there are a number of places that you can download audio books as MP3s. That's another great way to go.

Good luck

good GOD i need a new audio book
but, i'm broke. grrr
maybe after i get paid.

Cutter
10-01-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm not a big audiobook fan - I have the DT books now but that's probably all I'll every get. I prefer the whole experience of reading the books. :D

Well I'm a newbie when it comes to audio books, as I've only started listening to them this year. But I find reading the book first, and then listening to it on audio opens up a lot of things you didn't get before. Which is also true when you re-read a book, but it's a different experience with an audio book because ypu get a voice to go along with it that emphasizes the emotions in the text that you don't get when reading the book.

So I've found audio books a valuable tool for re-reading books, not just listening to new books. I'm listening to Neil Gaiman's Stardust right now. I've read the book and comic a few times, but an audio book re-read of this story is a lot of fun. And it helps that Neil Gaiman is reading the book!

Storyslinger
10-01-2007, 08:12 AM
I agree that it opens up a lot of new door gguthrie

Matt
10-01-2007, 08:58 AM

Well I'm a newbie when it comes to audio books, as I've only started listening to them this year. But I find reading the book first, and then listening to it on audio opens up a lot of things you didn't get before. Which is also true when you re-read a book, but it's a different experience with an audio book because ypu get a voice to go along with it that emphasizes the emotions in the text that you don't get when reading the book.

So I've found audio books a valuable tool for re-reading books, not just listening to new books. I'm listening to Neil Gaiman's Stardust right now. I've read the book and comic a few times, but an audio book re-read of this story is a lot of fun. And it helps that Neil Gaiman is reading the book!

I totally agree with this, it seems to add an element that my work a day reading mind just cannot provide. So it enriches the experience for me, they will never replace simply reading a book--under the tree outside or in front of the fireplace, but it is a really cool medium.

One of these days I want to have a fund raiser for Wavedancer out here.

Daghain
10-01-2007, 09:16 AM

That would be totally cool. :D

Patrick
10-01-2007, 03:19 PM
One of these days I want to have a fund raiser for Wavedancer out here.That would be totally cool. :D
Yeah, that would be sweet, Matt.

Matt
10-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Its one of the things I have in the works, I am hoping to build a bit more membership so it would be a significant fund raiser. :grouphug:

Daghain
10-02-2007, 07:35 AM
We need to get one of those big checks that says "From the people at DT.com" :lol:

Storyslinger
10-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Yeah :D

Matt
10-02-2007, 12:58 PM
We need to get one of those big checks that says "From the people at DT.com" :lol:

That's exactly what I wrote on the little card I sent with his bookmark. :clap:

Daghain
10-02-2007, 01:37 PM

Storyslinger
10-02-2007, 04:12 PM

ladysai
10-13-2007, 07:46 AM

That would be totally cool. :D

That will be awesome!
You'll let us know how your plans for the fundraiser are going, right?
:huglove:

Matt
10-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Oh yeah ladysai- I'm hoping to have the entire board very much involved.

Basically this first year with the site is getting our feet wet and catching our stride. There are grand plans for the future :grouphug:

Daghain
10-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, I must say my road trip to Michigan was MUCH nicer while listening to DT7. It lasted almost the whole trip! And Guidall's Crimson King's Eeeeee is totally hilarious! I nearly wrecked the car in eastern Nebraska. :lol:

Ruki
01-13-2008, 11:13 AM
that wavedancer thing sounds good :)

i'm listening to my pretty pony right now. jerry garcia is awesome, he should have read more, listening to him is fun.

Matt
01-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I understand it is now the Haven Foundation--if it was ever Wavedancer, I'm not sure.

However, I have been calling it that for years. :lol:

Randall Flagg
02-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Cover for The Gingerbread Girl audio:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8383/gingercovermn2.jpg

MonteGss
03-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Carrie read by Sissy Spacek was excellent. I read that a couple weeks ago.
Next on my King audio list is IT. IT is my favorite non DT King book! :)

jhanic
03-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I've never heard of an audio version of It. Is it a download or an actual tape or CD?

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I've never heard of an audio version of It. Is it a download or an actual tape or CD?

John

Originally on cassette, read by Chuck Benson. I only have it on MP3.

jhanic
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
I'll have to start looking for it on cassette. This new technology is beyond me!

John

Matt
03-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I just got my CD's of King reading the first two books from a member. :rock:

Thank you so much for going to the trouble, this is going to be cool as hell

jhanic
03-11-2008, 02:26 PM
The first two books of what?

John

Matt
03-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I was so excited I got ahead of myself. Its DTI (unabridged) and DTII

Both read by King, a version I have never actually listened to before.

jhanic
03-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Those are good. I got them on cassette when they first came out and listened to them while driving. I really enjoyed King's readings.

John

funky dredd
03-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Yes, they are very good! At first I didn't like them but the more I listened to them, his voice grew on me to the point I won't listen to the others.

MonteGss
03-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm thinking another giveaway is in order! :D
I've heard from others that King's reading is by far the best. I regularly look on eBay to try and find them, with no luck. :(
I'd have no way to listen to a cassette though.

obscurejude
03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I've heard from others that King's reading is by far the best. I regularly look on eBay to try and find them, with no luck. :(

Buy a tape deck. :thumbsup:

MonteGss
03-12-2008, 08:36 AM

Buy a tape deck. :thumbsup:

Never!
Been there, done that! :)
I need the audiobooks for my long commute to work. If it's not CD or digital form than it doesn't work for me.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-12-2008, 09:12 AM
If it's not CD or digital form than it doesn't work for me.

Problem with DT audio read by King, is that it was only produced on cassette. That does not stop you putting it on CD or MP3 for your own use, like I did.

MonteGss
03-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Right you are, and I would if I had that capability. :)

Daghain
03-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, I used to have that capability, but DBF killed his cassette-to-computer. :lol:

MonteGss
03-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Well, I used to have that capability, but DBF killed his cassette-to-computer. :lol:

Yes, I know from your beautiful generosity.

Daghain
03-12-2008, 09:49 AM
:)

Well, if he ever cleans the tape out of it that it ate, it may work again. Who knows? :lol:

Matt
03-12-2008, 10:06 AM
the copies that were sent to me are ready to be played in a CD player as far as I know :rock:

If its MP3's, I'll stick it on the computer and then throw it on Dora's Ipod

tl1233
04-10-2008, 12:41 PM
cant be bothered to read the nine pages to give my 2 cents
but firstly the version of wizard and glass i had was king :s i think
id listened to the first 3 before realising it was sk himself though i suspected it from the accent nobody can say palaver like king :p
i think most of his books are available on cd but most of them were done for blind ppl though there all on the torrent sites
my favourite has to be pet sematary the bbc dramatisation was amazing the last line kept me up for like 3 hours uhh *shivers*
red queen on black king :p

Matt
04-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey tl--welcome to the site.

Great info

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-10-2008, 02:26 PM
cant be bothered to read the nine pages to give my 2 cents
but firstly the version of wizard and glass i had was king :s i think
id listened to the first 3 before realising it was sk himself though i suspected it from the accent nobody can say palaver like king :p
i think most of his books are available on cd but most of them were done for blind ppl though there all on the torrent sites
my favourite has to be pet sematary the bbc dramatisation was amazing the last line kept me up for like 3 hours uhh *shivers*
red queen on black king :p

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass was read by Frank Muller. King only read the first 3 books.

EXPLORER
04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
and if I recall properly there are sigmed limted editions of the fisrt three read by Sai King on Cassette..... He signed and numbered them in silver pen if I remembered correctly. I know i own #370/800 of The Gunslinger and #95/800 and #235/800 of The Drawing of The Three......(just went to check my cabinet) Now I am wondering if he also did a limited edition of DTIII....... need to search one out if he did.

I am a huge fan of audio books and always have one playing. My favorite King audio are ones he read himself.. There is always an intersting inflection whter listening to him read in person or on his audio books.

Matt
04-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I totally agree, he is the best for his stories imo.

MonteGss
04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
What novel(s) does he read the best? I've seen a few on eBay that I mean to purchase someday. :)

Matt
04-10-2008, 03:52 PM
The only one I have ever heard is Bag of Bones. It was amazing.

Then I heard him read a bit of Duma Key last Friday night, also amazing.

I can't wait for the chance to hear the first 3 read by him but I have to wait until I can borrow Dora's ipod

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
What novel(s) does he read the best? I've seen a few on eBay that I mean to purchase someday. :)

Books 1-3 first audio edition

Bag of Bones

Rose Madder playing Norman Daniels. (amazing)

Heather19
04-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm listening to Bag of Bones now, and King does a wonderful job of reading it. It's really great to listen to him read his own stories.

EXPLORER
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I enjoy all King reads however I believe my absolute favorite was hearing him at a couple of benefits read "The Revenge of Lardass Logan" ( I believe that is the name). It is the pie-eating contest story from the movie Stand By Me.
He read this at the Wavedancer foundation Fundraiser in NYC and again at Radio City Music Hall event with Rowling & Irving.
He put breath into that read.......you could almost gag from the thought of spew......oooo

jhanic
04-10-2008, 06:25 PM
and if I recall properly there are sigmed limted editions of the fisrt three read by Sai King on Cassette..... He signed and numbered them in silver pen if I remembered correctly. I know i own #370/800 of The Gunslinger and #95/800 and #235/800 of The Drawing of The Three......(just went to check my cabinet) Now I am wondering if he also did a limited edition of DTIII....... need to search one out if he did.

I am a huge fan of audio books and always have one playing. My favorite King audio are ones he read himself.. There is always an intersting inflection whter listening to him read in person or on his audio books.

I don't think a limited version of the DTIII audio was ever produced.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-10-2008, 10:36 PM

I don't think a limited version of the DTIII audio was ever produced.

John

John is correct. There was only DT I & DT II in signed limited versions.

Audiobooks Read by King (http://www.akyle.f2s.com/audio.html)

jhanic
04-11-2008, 06:36 AM
I've seen references to an audio version of The Mist--not the 3-D dramatized version, but the actual story narrated by someone. I've never seen this offered anywhere, though. Does anyone know if this really exists?

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-11-2008, 06:39 AM
I've seen references to an audio version of The Mist--not the 3-D dramatized version, but the actual story narrated by someone. I've never seen this offered anywhere, though. Does anyone know if this really exists?

John

Yes. it was released by Recorded Books in 1985 read by Frank Muller, but I've never been able to get a copy. The 3D one was released in May 1986 by S&S Audio.

Matt
04-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Yes. it was released by Recorded Books in 1985 read by Frank Muller

I would love to hear that!

jhanic
04-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks, Mr. Rabbit Trick. I wonder how many are still out there? If I remember correctily, most of the Recorded Books output went to libraries, etc., and that would have been more than 20 years ago!

John

Patrick
04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Just a heads up to those that may be interested:

There are usually one or more Stephen King audiobooks up for bid in the dtBay auction site.

100% of the proceeds go to The Haven Foundation fundraiser.

Keep checking back there because the listings have been changing as audiobooks sell and new ones are added.

/end shameless plug for the fundraiser

Matt
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
:rock:

Plug away! We are running out of time.

MonteGss
04-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks Patrick...I've noticed them!!!
I'm just holding out for anything that isn't on cassette. :)

Matt
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I thought they wouldn't draw interest on cassette either but all of the tapes have been going like literal hotcakes.

Speaking of which, there are some new ones (on cassette) out there now.

MonteGss
04-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that too Matt. I was surprised at how quickly DT went. I got rid of my tape deck years ago...too many destroyed cassettes, too poor of sound quality for my taste.

Patrick
04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
That's my problem, too, Monte - no tape deck anymore. :(

But for anyone who does still have one, these audiobook auctions have been good deals. :)

Daghain
04-12-2008, 09:25 AM
DBF had a tape deck installed on his PC so he could rip the tapes to the hard drive - and then it ate one. :lol:

Hopefully he'll fix it eventually.

Ruki
04-15-2008, 06:58 PM

Books 1-3 first audio edition

Bag of Bones

Rose Madder playing Norman Daniels. (amazing)

hearts in atlantis!
the others are all good but hearts in atlantis is the best.

he doesn't read all of it, the guy doing the rest of the book is also very good, but the part stephen king reads is perfect. it sounds more like he's sitting there telling you a story than reading from a book. best audiobook and the best performance from stephen king that i've heard.

MonteGss
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Cool, thanks Ruki! Do you remember which parts/stories King read from Hearts? Also, who is the other reader?

MonteGss
05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Just ordered Salem's Lot on audiobook format! Pretty soon I will be listening to IT (recorded overseas). I'll read about the Faddah after that. :)

Patrick
05-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Cool, thanks Ruki! Do you remember which parts/stories King read from Hearts? Also, who is the other reader?
King reads three of the stories.
William Hurt (yes, the actor) reads the other two.

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 03:13 PM
All very well done too.

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I wish King would read all of his work. He's a great reader.

tamez
05-02-2008, 03:49 PM
I agree. i wish King would read it all.
it just seems so intimate, like he's right there
telling you the story himself...
but i have to say, of anyone else that does it
William Hurt was *by far* my favorite.
i agree with Ruki
Hearts in Atlantis is outstanding

the music is good too

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
I loved Hearts in Atlantis, especially Low Men in Yellow Coats.

Crimson King
05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm now on Wizard and Glass after having started the DT series from scratch (with the revised Gunslinger recording). I have an hour commute one-way to work, so it's perfect for listening to audiobooks. The funny thing is, I could never get into them before, but someone gave me Duma Key on audio, and I couldn't stop listening - I would sit in my car in the parking lot when I got to work sometimes, just to get to the end of a section/paragraph/etc.

The DT audiobooks are great, and the characterization is really good in my opinion.

MonteGss
05-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the site Crimson King!
I've gone through the audios of DT twice now and they are fantastic! I'm looking forward to my upcoming purchases of Frank Muller's Talisman and Black House reading. He can kind of exaggerate his words a bit but I love listening to his stuff!

Matt
05-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I totally agree, Frank Muller recordings are second only to King's in my opinion.

MonteGss
05-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Matt, do you know if Muller has done any others from King besides DT1-4 and the Jack Sawyer books?

Daghain
05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Google, dude. Google:

List of Muller Audiobooks (http://www.bitchen.com/muller/audlist.html)

Wuducynn
05-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Google, dude. Google:

List of Muller Audiobooks (http://www.bitchen.com/muller/audlist.html)

:rolleyes:

Wuducynn
05-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Hello Ms. Todd? Ms. Ree Todd?

Crimson King
05-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree, Muller is great - but I have to say I really liked John Slattery's reading of Duma Key, a lot.

Wuducynn
05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Muller is great. I'm not familiar with John Slattery. King so far is my favorite reader.