PDA

View Full Version : Need help remembering a forgotten book? ASK HERE!

3 DOORS DOWN
09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi all.
I am trying to locate an old book but am unsure of its title or author
Now it is horror/sf it is a trilogy and is something like gormanhaust and
all i can remember it has something to do with a large castle/mansion
Can anyone think what the title maybe,thanks for any help.

Bev Vincent
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast

Matt
09-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Wow Bev, that was amazing! :thumbsup:

3 DOORS DOWN
09-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks bev,thats the one.I have been racking my gray cell for ages on that.
Many thanks.By the way do you know if its ok.

Frunobulax
09-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Sweet fancy Moses. In a matter of UNDER 10 minutes, Bev came up with the right answer as if it were nothing. Shocked, awed, and speechless, I leave.

Bev Vincent
09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
If you like Charles Dickens, you would like this series. Very Gothic, a trifle absurd, lavish, ornate, fascinating.

There's a BBC miniseries based on the series, too. It's utterly fascinating.

Daghain
09-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Oh great. Like I need MORE books to read. :lol:

Sam
09-30-2008, 04:59 PM
WOW,:scared: Bev is the man when it comes to obscure book titles. Now if only he could help me with a book I read when I was a kid. It had a blue cover and a red fox the walked around on two legs. Little help Bev? :clap:

Bev Vincent
10-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Probably one of those wonderful books by Thornton W. Burgess. Maybe this one?

http://www.barbsbooks.com/images/ReddyFox.jpg

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-01-2008, 03:28 AM
^
:clap: |

Jean
10-01-2008, 03:34 AM
many Big Bearthanks to 3 DOORS DOWN for having started this thread - it's one of those I've had in mind since long and never gotten around to starting

3 DOORS DOWN: can you please alter your starter post so it will become clear that the tread is for all those who want to identify a forgotten book?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/thankyou14.gif

alinda
10-01-2008, 05:42 AM
:thumbsup:way to go Bev. I too am deeply impressed.
That said, I will read the book on your recommendation.

Daghain
10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Wow, Bev is the master!

3 DOORS DOWN
10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi all,
Just ordered the gormenghast book today from my local book store (the one with H20
+ROCKS)should be delivered next week.
I'll let you all know what i think of it in a few weeks time.

jhanic
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM
If I remember correctly, that was a trilogy. Is the book you ordered the first of the three or an omnibus volume?

John

BillyxRansom
10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Sweet fancy Moses. In a matter of UNDER 10 minutes, Bev came up with the right answer as if it were nothing. Shocked, awed, and speechless, I leave.

lol'd. great post, would read again.

Bev Vincent
10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
It was a trilogy (and I think he planned two more books that were never written) but it is available in omnibus editions these days.

3 DOORS DOWN
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Yes the book ordered is the trilogy
The 3 books to make up the trilogy are 1.TITUS GROAN 1946.
2.GORMENGHAST 1950.
3.TITUS ALONE 1959.this was made
up from notes and edited.

Two more books were planned TITUS AWAKES AND GORMENGHAST
REVISITED but were never completed before peakes death.

Sam
10-05-2008, 08:02 PM
That was a damn good guess. Unfortunately, it was wrong. The book was something about little fox, at least I think it was. I'll take a look on Amazon, but thanks for giving it a shot.

Letti
04-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Maybe it has happened to you, too that you wanted to find a book but you remembered neither the author nor the title of the book.
This thread can help us to find books.
(If there is any similar thread or you don't find it useful, please feel free to send it to the clearing.)

So,
for my part I would like to ask your opinion. I would like to read about Mahatma Gandhi. About his life. There are so many books about him and his work I don't know which one I should choose. So if anyone has read a book about him and loved it please let me now the author and I will buy that one.
Thank you for your help.

sarajean
04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
excellent idea, letti. :thumbsup:

Ka-mai
11-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I found a book at Borders about a man who, after his mother died, found out his mother had a sister despite his mother's lifelong insistence she was an only child. I have no idea what it was called or who wrote it and I couldn't find it when we went back. I think the cover was red. :lol: I tried to go on Borders.com but their site is really unhelpful. I browsed through their bio section in both health and general bios but didn't see it.

Matt may have it written somewhere, we make lists of books we like in stores, but he doesn't keep them in any particular place and he doesn't seem to be looking for them either. <_<

ola
11-05-2009, 08:26 PM
This?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401322476/pageturners0c

John Blaze
11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
This shouldn't be hard. A book about post-nuclear war, and everyone is in Australia, until the winds change and they bring the fallout to Australia. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

ola
11-05-2009, 11:19 PM
On the Beach?

John Blaze
11-05-2009, 11:48 PM
:D i knew it was popular enough someone would know it out of hand. Thanks, ola.

pathoftheturtle
11-06-2009, 08:30 AM
I would like to read about Mahatma Gandhi. About his life. There are so many books about him and his work I don't know which one I should choose. So if anyone has read a book about him and loved it please let me now the author and I will buy that one.
Thank you for your help.The Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mohandas K. Gandhi. His autobiography.

ConstanToweReader
11-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Years ago (probably in the 70's) I read a book about an archeaologist in Africa. He went back in time and was a part of a war between different factions. It was such a good book and I read it several times but somehow misplaced my copy. Anyone have a clue?

Ka-mai
11-06-2009, 03:56 PM
This?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401322476/pageturners0c

You are amazing. Seriously. I spent two hours looking for that fucking thing last night. Thank you so much. :huglove:

Of course now I can read the Amazon reviews instead of reading the book. :lol:

On the Beach is such an amazing book that depresses the shit out of me and makes me really, really paranoid.

John Blaze
11-06-2009, 07:14 PM
:) ain't it great?

ola
11-06-2009, 09:52 PM
On the Beach is such an amazing book that depresses the shit out of me and makes me really, really paranoid.

I remember not being into it whenever I read it (probably in high school), I think I might like it more now. All that post-nuclear-war stuff scared the crap out of me as a kid.

ola
11-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Years ago (probably in the 70's) I read a book about an archeaologist in Africa. He went back in time and was a part of a war between different factions. It was such a good book and I read it several times but somehow misplaced my copy. Anyone have a clue?

I don't know this one but I want to read it!

Ka-mai
11-07-2009, 11:40 AM
The post-nuclear-war shit still scares the crap out of me, but the book is great. Filled with doom.

ConstanToweReader
11-07-2009, 06:20 PM
I think it might have been this book. I thought it had the name Sun in the title
http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/novels/the_sunbird.html

The Sunbird

Patrick
11-07-2009, 10:32 PM
ON THE BEACH was a fantastic book.

The link to THE SUNBIRD sounds interesting... May have to read that one.

Letti
11-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I would like to read about Mahatma Gandhi. About his life. There are so many books about him and his work I don't know which one I should choose. So if anyone has read a book about him and loved it please let me now the author and I will buy that one.
Thank you for your help.The Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mohandas K. Gandhi. His autobiography.

Thank you.
I have bought some really good books about his life so far but I will check out this one, too.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-07-2009, 11:58 PM

It's probably not the right book due to the timeframe. But a very similar book is Timeline by Micheal Crighton. I thought it was one of his better books.

Ka-mai
11-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I also thought Timeline was good, my boyfriend hated it though.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES watch the movie. I think I made better films as a hyper preteen with a camcorder.

Beambounder
11-08-2009, 04:21 PM
I recommend Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon, Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons,And anything by Daniel Easterman -especially The Night of The Seventh Darkness. Many more suggestions.:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea: an infinitum:rock::cool: if you want more suggestions ,drop me a personal message, at rongailsip1@yahoo.com. Happy to oblige. Long Days and Pleasant Nights. Beambounder,AKA E.Freemantle, in this TERRITORY Ron Scott Sippel

ConstanToweReader
11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
I read Timeline years ago and thought it was very good. I don't think I saw the movie. there is a PC game, too. I have it, but had it installed on my old computer and it was "awkward" It was probably the computer not the game.

Beambounder Swan Song was my first book by Robert McCammon. Someone mentioned him at another King site. I've read several by Dan Simmons, too.

Jean
11-10-2009, 01:05 AM
dear friends,

this thread is going to be merged with that thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=4879)very soon

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

pathoftheturtle
11-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Long ago, I read a children's book with a talking cat who leads some kids into another world through a magic door inside a hollow tree. Anyone have any idea what book that one was?

pathoftheturtle
11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
I have heard before that the Timeline film was awful, which seems a real shame since the novel was so very cinematic. Great potential there for a good movie. <_<

Goblin
11-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Long ago, I read a children's book with a talking cat who leads some kids into another world through a magic door inside a hollow tree. Anyone have any idea what book that one was?

It wasn't one of Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree books was it?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Qp3KLgrRW3rYGM:http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/c3/c15042.jpg

John Blaze
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Most of Michael Crichton's books that were made movies were slaughtered, in my opinion, with the possible exception of Jurassic Park and JP2. The rest were Bleh. Timeline was shit. I mean, Paul Walker? WTF?

John Blaze
11-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Since there's two threads being merged today (ithink) I hope this still shows up in the merged thread. I got my answer about On The Beach in the other one, maybe someone can help me on this one for this book. It should be much harder.

The book is about a serial killer and the cop trying to catch him. He's going around killing everyone who was on a cruise ship at a certain cruise, and the reason is that he was raping people on the cruise, and was arrested or something. Turns out he had a small winky, and I guess he wanted to kill everyone who knew about it.

Seriously, sounds ridiculous but this book is good, 'Thomas Harris' quality stuff. I've been trying to find it for years.

Ka-mai
11-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Honestly I hated JP2 because it was just about zero canon. I mean, JP3 was not great, but in my mind better because at least it was based on an actual book.

I love Jurassic Park though. :wub:

John Blaze
11-11-2009, 03:42 PM
i think you got it backwards.

Alex
11-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Most of Michael Crichton's books that were made movies were slaughtered, in my opinion, with the possible exception of Jurassic Park and JP2. The rest were Bleh. Timeline was shit. I mean, Paul Walker? WTF?

Obviously you have never seen The Great Train Robbery.

John Blaze
11-11-2009, 06:56 PM
obviously you didn't read the word MOST. I used the word most because I haven't seen them all. I also haven't read them all, I've read most.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-12-2009, 12:01 AM

The Wishing Tree by Ruth Chew

John Blaze
11-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Since there's two threads being merged today (ithink) I hope this still shows up in the merged thread. I got my answer about On The Beach in the other one, maybe someone can help me on this one for this book. It should be much harder.

The book is about a serial killer and the cop trying to catch him. He's going around killing everyone who was on a cruise ship at a certain cruise, and the reason is that he was raping people on the cruise, and was arrested or something. Turns out he had a small winky, and I guess he wanted to kill everyone who knew about it.

Seriously, sounds ridiculous but this book is good, 'Thomas Harris' quality stuff. I've been trying to find it for years.
bump for merge

pathoftheturtle
11-12-2009, 01:52 PM

The Wishing Tree by Ruth Chew:excited: That's it, that's it! :wub:

Thank you. :)

Darkthoughts
11-19-2009, 11:55 PM
I read a children's book years ago that I have never been able to remember the title of, all I can remember is how much I was in love with the story at the time. It was about a girl who moves into a new house and finds that...it's either when she goes to the bottom of her garden or into next door's garden, that she goes back in time. She gets involved in some situation and has to help the other child/children she meets.
Sorry, that was quite vague :lol:

ola
11-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Darkthoughts: I would say The Root Cellar (http://www.carolhurst.com/titles/rootcellar.html), but that was in a cellar and not a garden. Sounds very familiar.

John Blaze
11-21-2009, 05:46 AM
I read a children's book years ago that I have never been able to remember the title of, all I can remember is how much I was in love with the story at the time. It was about a girl who moves into a new house and finds that...it's either when she goes to the bottom of her garden or into next door's garden, that she goes back in time. She gets involved in some situation and has to help the other child/children she meets.
Sorry, that was quite vague :lol:
i'm pretty sure I've read it, but I can't remember.

reminds me of The Secret Garden, though, and that I haven't read it in ages.

candy
11-21-2009, 05:55 AM
it sounds really familiar, and for some reason i think a clock at the foot of the stairs has something to do with it, (or i could be thinking about something else completely:ninja:)

i think i am thinkin about tom's mid night garden. ignore me - carry on as you were

John Blaze
11-21-2009, 05:55 AM
this isn't it, by chance? I don't think so, but then again there's a chance we're not talking about the same book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IhySxaatL08C&dq=the+time+garden&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=9HG5OHyeZ_&sig=mZnaGgl8TAsSo_azRaNus1g1W-s&hl=en&ei=f_AHS5bJJJKXtgfBw8i0Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I've asked this b4 awhile ago but even after getting the authors name (and subsequently losing it! LOL) I failed to locate a copy.

In any case, I'm actually searching for a book of a collection Hugo Award winners, which contains the short story "A Big front Yard" It is by far my favorite Sci-Fi short story and I would love to pass it onto my kids and Grand-kids. The story, in short, regards a Connecticut Yankee Trader whose somewhat "slow" helper and dog all end up in a very "Twight Zone" situation with one part of their establishment on earth and the other "Out There".

Does anyone recall the author and/or have a copy for sale out there?

Much Obliged

ola
11-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Amazon.com: Super Hugos (9780671721350): Isaac Asimov: Books

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Amazon.com: Super Hugos (9780671721350): Isaac Asimov: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Super-Hugos-Isaac-Asimov/dp/0671721356)

Thanks. Do you recall the author of that particular story? I'm looking for a HC edition that can be passed on and since its an anthology there may be other books. Thanks again for your help.

Patrick
11-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Here you go, Merlin. The story, its author, and original source publication.

Good luck finding a hardcover copy though. Unless you've seen one, I'm not sure it exists in that format.

The Super Hugos ed. Martin H. Greenberg (Baen 0-671-72135-6, Sep ’92 [Aug ’92], $4.99, 424pp, pb, cover by Frank Kelly-Freas); Anthology of ten Hugo Award-winning stories, selected as “the best of the best” by the 1992 Hugo voters. With an introduction by Charles Sheffield plus an analysis of the voting and a list of all Hugo Award winners. The volume is attributed only as “Presented by Isaac Asimov” with a note that he was unable to do so before his death.

* 1 · Introduction · Charles Sheffield · in
* 7 · Sandkings · George R. R. Martin · nv Omni Aug ’79
* 55 · The Bicentennial Man · Isaac Asimov · nv Stellar #2, ed. Judy-Lynn del Rey, Ballantine, 1976
* 101 · Enemy Mine · Barry B. Longyear · na IASFM Sep ’79
* 173 · The Star [Star of Bethlehem] · Arthur C. Clarke · ss Infinity Science Fiction Nov ’55
* 183 · The Big Front Yard · Clifford D. Simak · na Astounding Oct ’58
* 244 · “Repent, Harlequin!” Said the Ticktockman · Harlan Ellison · ss Galaxy Dec ’65
* 261 · Weyr Search [Pern] · Anne McCaffrey · na Analog Oct ’67
* 327 · Neutron Star [Beowulf Shaeffer] · Larry Niven · nv If Oct ’66
* 349 · I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream · Harlan Ellison · ss If Mar ’67
* 369 · Flowers for Algernon · Daniel Keyes · nv F&SF Apr ’59
* 403 · About the Super Hugo Voting · Misc. Material · ms
* 413 · Appendix: The Hugo Awards · Misc. Material · bi

And dig this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3510/3825646437_8bb0d7eaab.jpg...http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2650/3825646565_ac4f194f66.jpg

http://www.rivetsandtrees.com/rocketscience/Astounding195810Story1.jpghttp://www.rivetsandtrees.com/rocketscience/Astounding195810Story2.jpg

:)

Darkthoughts
11-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Thanks Ola and JB, it isn't either of those :lol: but now I've got more stuff to check out :D

Candy, Tom's Midnight Garden is brilliant, but it's not that and it's not Moondial either (which no-one has mentioned yet, but is a similar concept.) Also, for got to mention, it's set in England and is about one girl initially.

jhanic
11-22-2009, 05:07 PM
"The Big Front Yard" was written by Clifford D. Simak. It's a real classic!

<edit> I should have read further on in the thread.

John

Merlin1958
11-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Wow!!!! Many Many Thanks Patrick. Real treat seeing the Mag as well. I originally read it in a HC anthology that was pretty worn. The binding was cracked etc. I'm hoping to find it in some used book store or maybe on ebay

Thanks again for the detailed info!!!!!

:):):)

CLG02
01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I've been trying for ages to remember a book I read when I was a child. It was a children's chapter book, not very large about 2 cats. One cat was a show cat that was no longer allowed in shows because she bit a judge and the other, I believe, was a stray. I recall on the last page was an illustration of the two cats sitting on a rug in front of a fireplace. It was my favorite book in elementary school, but for the life of me I can't remember the title. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hannah
02-04-2010, 03:26 PM
hmmm ... I don't know that one.

Ka-mai
02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
:lol: Sorry, the idea of biting a cat show judge made me laugh. Don't know the story though, sorry.

I remember a book (I hope it's one book and not a conglomeration of books) I read in like 4th grade... it was a children's novel, I know it involved the god Janus, and I think a key and knights, but I have no idea what it was.

I know that was terribly vague, but that's all I got. :lol:

John Blaze
04-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Hey guys, maybe someone can help me out. I was talking about movies with a coworker tonight and he mentioned one which reminded me of a teen book I read in school. It was about some kid who stole a VCR remote control from his grandma who was an inventor and learned he could use it to control his life, kind of like the movie Click. It was called either Flash Forward, or Fast Forward....anyone ever read this? I've tried google and no luck.

Well, here's my try, thanks ahead of time.

Ricky
07-09-2010, 05:43 PM
It was about some kid who stole a VCR remote control from his grandma who was an inventor and learned he could use it to control his life, kind of like the movie Click.

Hmm...sounds like an old Goosebumps episode I saw once. Is it possible that it was part of that series?

I was googling some interesting books to read about a month ago and I found a really good one but forgot the title. From the plot synopsis I read, the only things I remember from it is that it's a dystopian novel about the formation of a new society and those who are doing the "controlling" give victims the choice to join to society or commit suicide.

It sounded really, really interesting but unfortunately I canot remember what it's called. I searched all over the place using the description but that didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?

woodpryan
07-10-2010, 12:46 AM
That doesn't sound like a goosebumps book that I read as a kid. I read pretty much all of them too. I highly doubt that it was Goosebumps. I'm looking for it though.

John Blaze
07-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Oh I found it, sorry, should have posted that huh? I think they did make an episode of goosebumps on a similar premise, though.

woodpryan
07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Oh I found it, sorry, should have posted that huh? I think they did make an episode of goosebumps on a similar premise, though.

Thanks for letting us know. It sort of reminds me of the Goosebumps book "Say Cheese and Die". That might be what you guys are thinking of.

John Blaze
07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
No, Say Cheese and Die was a futuristic view camera, if I remember correctly, when he took a picture it showed the subject of the picture getting hurt.