PDA

View Full Version : In fact.. did you like this short story?

Letti
09-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I am planning to buy it (it's not that easy here at all) but I don't really know if it's worth. I mean the DT series is whole without it as well (to me) but I might feel this way because I haven't read this one yet.
So?
Does it give back the DT-series-feeling?

And some more stupid questions:
Can I buy only this very short story or can it be found with other short stories in the book?

Brice
09-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I absolutely loved it. It fulfilled my DT fix when I was in dire need. As far as I recall you can't buy it seperately, only in the anthology Legends with the other short stories. If you can't find it I have a spare paperback copy I believe.

Hbgunslinger
09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Still haven't read it I am going to have to pick that up sometime when I stop being a recluse.

Letti
09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks. Whenever I have time I will check it at Pendragon. It's an English bookstore here.

Brice
09-29-2008, 10:39 PM
You're welcome, dear. :huglove:

Letti
09-29-2008, 10:43 PM
If you loved it I must love it. ;)
And if Roland in it.. it can't be bad. I have opened the thread to see what others feel about it because I didn't find anything about it.

Brice
09-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, it stands alone as a seperate story too, but it totally fits perfectly within the DT story. Roland is in it, of course. :D

And of course, what Letti loves, I love. :couple:

Jean
09-29-2008, 10:50 PM
I didn't like it at all, except the very first pages (till he woke up in hospital). I found the rest long, boring, and somehow pointless - not at all like the rest of DT, which once again confirmed my opinion (firm to begin with) that the Dark Tower is a 7-volume book, not a "series".

Letti
09-29-2008, 10:59 PM
I didn't like it at all, except the very first pages (till he woke up in hospital). I found the rest long, boring, and somehow pointless - not at all like the rest of DT, which once again confirmed my opinion (firm to begin with) that the Dark Tower is a 7-volume book, not a "series".

Do you mean you found it similar to the Gunslinger?

Jean
09-29-2008, 11:03 PM
No. Not at all. Gunslinger, little as I like it, is, as I said before, an intrinsic part of the DT, kind of overdrawn epigraph; as integrally fitting the beginning as Robert Browning's poem fits the end. The Little Sisters is just neither here nor there.

(I don't think I ever said The Gunslinger was boring or pointless, either.)

Brice
09-29-2008, 11:03 PM

Sorry, to hear you couldn't enjoy it. :(

I'll only point out to you though that this is in fact canon :P as it's part of the same story and was written and published before it was completed.

Jean
09-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't think I accept the very idea of "canon", "mythos", and other similar staff pertaining to the concept of "series" - because, as I said, I do not see the DT as a series. There is a book I love, and there are some multiple additions, which I may like or not like, but which for me won't ever influence the book itself, or have anything to do with it; just like there is a book called The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (and another, in my opinion even greater, called The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn), and I love it; and there's a number of detective stories by the same Mark Twain of how Tom Sawyer solved some crimes. I can appreciate the writer's (and readers') wish not to part with a beloved character, but I reserve to myself the right to believe Tom Sawyer is a novel by itself, while the rest is only additional attractions, which, while nice by themselves, have nothing to do with the initial novel which was finished to everyone's satisfaction.

I am afraid we're a little off-topic... I would dearly love someone to start a separate threads where all those questions of canon would be dealt with, but I know that at present I won't even be able to write there.

Frunobulax
09-30-2008, 12:37 AM
It was an okay short story. It felt like chaff to me, just filler to get the DT jollies out. The rest of Everything's Eventual is f'n awesome, however.

ManOfWesternesse
09-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Letti, Little Sisters is a very good story, which I loved for itself as well as it's additional small insight into Roland. definitely well worth a read.

Bev Vincent
09-30-2008, 02:24 AM
In paperback, Legends was split up into three volumes, so you can buy a copy that just has this story and the Robert Silverberg story, as I recall. Of course, you can always buy the King collection Everything's Eventual.

It is the only glimpse we get of Roland between the days of Gilead and when we first meet him in DT1. It also has minor ties with Black House.

Wuducynn
09-30-2008, 05:29 AM
Does it give back the DT-series-feeling?

Yes, because it is part of the Dark Tower series. And I love the story. Like Brice said, it helped with Dark Tower jonesing between W&G and Wolves.

MonteGss
09-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Great story, you should buy it. :thumbsup:

jayson
09-30-2008, 07:55 AM
I enjoyed the story. The fact that it was about Roland was enough to get me interested, but I liked the story itself. It's certainly worth reading if you've never read it previously. I would read it as part of Everything's Eventual which has many other excellent stories by King, including the titular story which introduces Dinky Earnshaw.

Letti
09-30-2008, 08:14 AM
And can it be really enjoyable if you don't know the series at all?

theBeamisHome
09-30-2008, 08:28 AM
yes i think so. i got Everything's Eventual before i started reading TDT... i'm not sure if i read LSoE before, but you don't really have to know Roland's story to appreciate this one. Also the title story with Dinky Earnshaw's story is very good backstory for him.

Wuducynn
09-30-2008, 08:48 AM

Sure, but no where near to the same extent if you already were into the series.

jayson
09-30-2008, 08:52 AM

Sure, but no where near to the same extent if you already were into the series.

Exactly. It's a perfectly good stand-alone story about Roland that doesn't require that the reader know anything about Roland, but it works much better if you are already familiar with Roland and his quest. The title story works just fine without having read any DT stories. I read it before I read DT-7 and I actually think it works better to meet Dinky in this story prior to meeting him at Algul Siento in DT-7.

Letti
09-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Okay, I know where I will end up tomorrow. :D (at the English bookstore)

When was it written anyway? When did King write it? Where was he in the series at that time?

Jean
09-30-2008, 09:04 AM
even thought I don't like The Little Sisters, the collection (Everything's Eventual) contains All That You Love Will Be Carried Away which is, I think, my favorite King short story ever.

jayson
09-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Everything's Eventual was published in 2002, a year prior to publication of Wolves of the Calla. The Little Sisters of Eluria was originally published in 1998 in the collection Legends: Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy.

theBeamisHome
09-30-2008, 09:42 AM
I read Everything's Eventual (the short story) definitely before getting to DTVII and it does help a lot with understanding Dinky's character. i'm sure you'll appreciate the backstory on him.

Frunobulax
09-30-2008, 09:46 AM
even thought I don't like The Little Sisters, the collection (Everything's Eventual) contains All That You Love Will Be Carried Away which is, I think, my favorite King short story ever.

Jean, we are in agreement yet again.
Letti, you won't be let down by the collection as a whole.

And as for enjoying the story without prior knowledge of the mythos, well it's very possible. It stands on its own, and serves as a nice introduction to those who have never heard of the series. However, since I'm a rabid devotee of the series it was hard for me to enjoy in conjunction with the rest of the series. This is not like "Young Zaphod..." to the Hitchhiker's Trilogy.

Jean
09-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Jean, we are in agreement yet again.

(sorry people - just another very little bit off-topic, and then back)

Fruno, you may not believe it, but when I was reading All That You Love, I was actually thinking of you and of how you must like it, too - it seemed just one of those things you and I could thoroughly enjoy
[/off-topic]

Frunobulax
09-30-2008, 09:56 AM
[off topic]
Yes! I was just re-reading that a few weeks ago to take a break from my slow but pleasant trudge through Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and thought the same thing in a name-reversed format! Awesome!!
[/off topic]

Brice
09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
:doh: I forgot this was reprinted in Everything's Eventual.

Brainslinger
09-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I liked it a lot, and I'd go along with the others in suggesting you get the Everything's Eventual version, for reasons given.

Little Sisters can certainly be read as a stand alone story without prior knowledge of the Tower since it is set in the time period when Roland is casting about for Walter's trail before The Gunslinger.

It could puzzle new readers though as to what the overall quest is that Roland is on, but then that could draw them into the novels series and serves as an advertisement.

As for canonicity, (spell check doesn't like that, I think I might have invented a new word, but I'm sure you know what I mean) I'm not sure I agree with the concept, as it's kind of like saying, which of these fictional works are more real than others (although I can understand the reasoning when several different author contribute to a work like, say, the Star Wars novels, in establishing continuity.) Little Sisters certainly fits in with the other books though in that it is actually referenced in the later books (Song of Susannah, I believe.) I agree it's a separate work though.

Everything's Eventual (the titular story starring Dinky) was one of the more interesting stories in the book I reckon. Very original in concept.

BeDaN
10-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I think if I had not read the entire series first I probably wouldn't have liked it. But I did read the entire series first and like others have said it filled my DT fix. . . for the time being.

Empath of the White
11-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I felt it was a good side story. The muties and the interactions between Roland and that one Sister were my favorite parts. It really just adds a bit more to Mid-World, and not so much to the main story.

Wuducynn
11-08-2008, 12:43 AM
I felt it was a good side story. The muties and the interactions between Roland and that one Sister were my favorite parts. It really just adds a bit more to Mid-World, and not so much to the main story.

I like that we get to see Roland between when he left Gilead and The Gunslinger. It's an interesting perspective on him. Before he became machine-like and totally obsessed by the time we meet up with him in The Gunslinger.

Savoury
11-24-2008, 12:01 AM
My version of The Gunslinger has TLSoE as prologue and as such, I read it before starting TDT itself. To me it seemed to be part of The Gunslinger. It just seems to fit and the setting (the location, the muties) was really good. I really enjoyed it. I recently got Everything's Eventual and am going to read that as a whole soon.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't try TLSoE.

Wuducynn
11-24-2008, 06:44 AM
My version of The Gunslinger has TLSoE as prologue and as such, I read it before starting TDT itself. To me it seemed to be part of The Gunslinger. It just seems to fit and the setting (the location, the muties) was really good. I really enjoyed it. I recently got Everything's Eventual and am going to read that as a whole soon.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't try TLSoE.

I've heard of this version. It seems to only be available in the U.K.

Savoury
11-24-2008, 11:45 AM
It is indeed a UK version, but I bought it in the Netherlands (where I live). Bookstores sometimes import (sparingly might I add) the English version of books, which I'd much rather read than their translated version.

Brainslinger
11-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Did you get it in the end Letti? How do you (did you) like it?

flaggwalkstheline
11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
The Little sisters is indeed quite entertaining HOWEVER I would not want to read a copy of the gunslinger that did not begin with "The Man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed."
Not having that as the first thing u read is an abomination, like seeing a star wars film that didnt begin with "A long long time ago in a galaxy far away..."
:nope: When I first read that book in the unrevised form THAT sentence is what immediatly hooked me, its the perfect begining and I feel sorry for the poor apprentice-tower junkie who picks up a copy that doesnt begin with that

wiccangdess13
11-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I have to pipe in and say I really enjoyed the story. And Letti, it sounds like you love Roland as much as I do. Its a good fix and it explains him being on foot instead of horseback.

Brice
11-24-2008, 09:43 PM
It is indeed a UK version, but I bought it in the Netherlands (where I live). Bookstores sometimes import (sparingly might I add) the English version of books, which I'd much rather read than their translated version.

Could you maybe post a picture of this book or a link to a picture of it?

Wuducynn
11-25-2008, 04:06 PM

Could you maybe post a picture of this book or a link to a picture of it?

Request seconded. :thumbsup:

Savoury
11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
The Little sisters is indeed quite entertaining HOWEVER I would not want to read a copy of the gunslinger that did not begin with "The Man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed."
Not having that as the first thing u read is an abomination, like seeing a star wars film that didnt begin with "A long long time ago in a galaxy far away..."
:nope: When I first read that book in the unrevised form THAT sentence is what immediatly hooked me, its the perfect begining and I feel sorry for the poor apprentice-tower junkie who picks up a copy that doesnt begin with that

That's why it's a prologue, it's not part of the gunslinger, let there be no mistake about that.

flaggwalkstheline
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
but if its a prologue people will read it BEFORE the opening lines of the gunslinger

Savoury
12-05-2008, 01:37 AM
but if its a prologue people will read it BEFORE the opening lines of the gunslinger

Yes..as a seperate story, not as a Dark Tower story, so I still don't see the big deal. You can read other King books that are somehow related to The Dark Tower and that doesn't change anything, does it?

flaggwalkstheline
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
right but you cant read the other dark tower books before the gunslinger and I view the little sisters of eluria to be more along the same lines a wizard and glass, a flashback of roland before the gunslinger
having it before the gunslinger throws off the ending of dt7 leaving the reader to wonder y didnt he travel back to the town where he met the vampire bug chicks? the story has to start at that pivotal moment where he has just travelled backwards in time and feels lightheaded because of it

Brainslinger
12-06-2008, 08:55 AM
right but you cant read the other dark tower books before the gunslinger and I view the little sisters of eluria to be more along the same lines a wizard and glass, a flashback of roland before the gunslinger
having it before the gunslinger throws off the ending of dt7 leaving the reader to wonder y didnt he travel back to the town where he met the vampire bug chicks? the story has to start at that pivotal moment where he has just travelled backwards in time and feels lightheaded because of it

That would only be true if he'd had a similar 'light headed moment' in Eluria. Which I suppose he did, if you count him getting clobbered on the head. But that really doesn't count.

I kinda know what people mean when they speak of the introductory line of the Gunslinger coming first before everything though. It's such an (iconic?) line. If you're going to put the two stories together in one volume though, you might as well put them in chronological order.

I won't be buying this though. I own both in different books, so I'm happy to stick with that. (I can see the attraction of having DT stories together though.)

Letti
12-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Hey friends. I just wanted to let you know that I do have this book now because it was my Christmas present from my godmother. :dance:
Soon I can join the conversations.

Brice
12-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Yaaaayyyy! :dance:

Letti
12-25-2008, 12:54 AM
I'll send a picture of it.

Brice
12-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Awesome! :D

Melike
12-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Letti, I am hiding in a shadowy corner, waiting you to read and finish the story. Then I will come forward to ask some questions about it. I am curious about your ideas. :drool:

The Cosmic Geek
01-14-2009, 09:18 AM
I really liked this story, in fact, years back when I first read The Gunslinger I didn't like it. It was when I read this story that made me really like the series and now I love it.

I'd love to see this story as a comic book by Marvel. I think that would be pretty cool.

Letti
01-17-2009, 01:33 AM
I have just finished it.
Wow.
I liked it.

Brice
01-17-2009, 01:35 AM
Me too! :D It's an awesome little story.

Wuducynn
01-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I have just finished it.
Wow.
I liked it.

What? Were you reading a page a week? :P

Letti
01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I have just finished it.
Wow.
I liked it.

What? Were you reading a page a week? :P

An letter a week. ;)

The Cosmic Geek
01-17-2009, 05:45 PM
I'd like to see more short stories like this.

Melike
01-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I have just finished it.
Wow.
I liked it.

Then, what do you think about Jenna?
Comparing to Susan?

Letti
01-18-2009, 11:57 PM
I have just finished it.
Wow.
I liked it.

Comparing to Susan?

I have opened a whole thread for her so if you think we can talk about her over there. She is a very fascinating character. I liked her so much.
So, shall we move to that thread? :)

Melike
01-19-2009, 03:44 AM
I have just finished it.
Wow.
I liked it.

Comparing to Susan?

I have opened a whole thread for her so if you think we can talk about her over there. She is a very fascinating character. I liked her so much.
:excited: OK. I am coming.

ManOfWesternesse
01-19-2009, 03:52 AM
I have just finished it.
Wow.
I liked it.

Comparing to Susan?

You could at least show a little bit of enthuasism Melike! :lol: [/sarcasm]

Letti
01-19-2009, 04:13 AM
I have just finished it.
Wow.
I liked it.

Comparing to Susan?

:wtf:

Melike
01-19-2009, 04:25 AM
I have just finished it.
Wow.
I liked it.

Comparing to Susan?

:wtf:
:arg::D

The King of Kings
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
At this point I was just glad to be reading about Roland again, it could have been a story about him taking a piss and I would have been satisfied.

Having said that, it was very interesting to see a new dynamic of Roland, not yet so cut-throat. It was also good to not see a bunch of action happening, but more of a "what else could go wrong" type story.

I liked it, and I wish King would write more about Roland.

Letti
01-25-2009, 02:05 PM
At this point I was just glad to be reading about Roland again, it could have been a story about him taking a piss and I would have been satisfied.

So I am not alone. :D

Wuducynn
01-26-2009, 07:16 AM

So I am not alone. :D

Yeah, especially a story about Roland taking a piss. There's nothing like a good King written Dark Tower story involving golden showers...

chucknbuck
05-17-2015, 07:05 AM
Just read it. As a stand alone story, it is ok, but serves as a Roland fix. Like pizza and sex, even when a Roland story isn't great, it is still pretty good.

Jon
05-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Well stated, Chuck!

Girlystevedave
05-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Just read it. As a stand alone story, it is ok, but serves as a Roland fix. Like pizza and sex, even when a Roland story isn't great, it is still pretty good.

:rofl: Well stated, indeed.

Jacqui
02-14-2016, 02:25 AM
I liked it fine, but I really struggled with reading it. There didn't seem to be any context as to why he was there. I really need to read it again, but it was OK. It added something to the DT storyline, but it wouldn't be missing something without it

Letti
05-01-2016, 12:04 AM
I love the fact we don't know how he got there. I love foggy backgrounds. But of course it is not for everybody. : ) If you decide to read it again, I suggest trying to focus on Roland's personality. He changed so much between this story and the Gunslinger.

I liked it fine, but I really struggled with reading it. There didn't seem to be any context as to why he was there. I really need to read it again, but it was OK. It added something to the DT storyline, but it wouldn't be missing something without it

Valuem
01-15-2021, 03:25 PM
It's an awesome short story. Loved it

ChronoSorcerer
11-16-2021, 10:13 AM
Absolutely loved it!