PDA

View Full Version : The New York Mets (Potential Spoilers)

Ruthful
09-28-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't think we're warning people about potential spoilers any longer-at least, that's the impression I got-but just so my ass isn't completely, permanently banned I figured I'd preface my thread with that caveat.

In any case, has anyone come up with an avatar combining the best conclusion to a fantasy saga in the history of literature with the seemingly endless cycle of reincarnation that The New York Mets seem to endure every season? That is, where their team assumes the avatar of a deity who chokes, year, after year, after year?

I would imagine this is too painful for actual Mets fans to do, but I'm sure other creative, schadenfreude-minded users, who are also MLB fans, have pondered this over the past weekend.

jayson
09-29-2008, 06:07 AM
As a Mets fan, I can laugh at that. If I couldn't laugh at stuff like this, it'd be hard to still be a Mets fan.

Were I Mets G.M. Omar Minaya, there would be about five or six players on the current roster who would still be on the team next season.

Either that, or I'd try to work a deal to get the Mets into a division like the NL West where the Dodgers can win the division with a record that in the East would have tied them for third place with the Marlins. No offense to the Dodgers of course, but I am sicking of hearing about how great they are when they made the playoffs solely by playing in the worst division in MLB. In any other, they'd not have even been in contention for the Wild Card.

Rjeso
09-29-2008, 11:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/silver_phoenix11/smileys/santana.gif Does Not Choke.

jayson
09-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Agreed. Santana is one of the handful of Mets who should still be with the Mets next year. If the Mets had anything even remotely resembling a bullpen Santana would have won 20+ games this season. I am more than pleased with the job he did, and think he's worth every penny they spent on him.

The only position players who would keep their jobs if I were in charge would be Wright, Beltran, Reyes, Delgado and possibly Ryan Church. Church was having a great season before the concussion took him out. They all played just fine this season and should not be counted on to have to score 10 runs per game to bail out a crappy bullpen.

I'd love to keep a kid like Endy Chavez since he is such a phenomenally skilled outfielder, but I suspect he has a good amount of trade value. Daniel Murphy would have been cut by me weeks ago. That kid cannot field to save his life. Ditto for Nick Evans.

As for pitchers, aside from the affore-mentioned Santana, I'd be glad to see a healthy John Maine back next season. Pelfrey deserves another year. Even Oliver Perez had a decent season. Pedro Martinez can go. He was one of the greatest pitchers of his era, but he's too old now. So, what I'm trying to say is, I'll take back all the starters except Pedro. The rest of the pitching staff I would have fired first thing this morning. They are all completely useless. I know that if I see that scrub Joe Smith ever throw even one more single pitch as a Met, I am driving up to New York to punch Omar Minaya in the face.

Rjeso
09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
OR you could give us Santana back.

Just sayin.'

jayson
09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Not a chance! :lol:

Rjeso
09-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Damn.

jayson
09-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I'd sell you the rest of the pitching staff for $1.00 but that might be ripping you off.

Ruthful
09-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I was joking with a huge Mets fan at a bar this past weekend about putting Santana on a one-day rotation. But the more I think about it...

jayson
09-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I was joking with a huge Mets fan at a bar this past weekend about putting Santana on a one-day rotation. But the more I think about it...

My dad and I made the same joke yesterday morning at breakfast. :)

He probably could have given them two innings in relief of Perez yesterday. A chimpanzee would have better than Smith or Schoenweiss.

Ruthful
09-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Looks like it's down to Plan B:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Lima

Rjeso
09-29-2008, 06:29 PM
IT'S LIMA TIME (http://dugout.progressiveboink.com/archive/nick19.htm)

Ruthful
09-29-2008, 09:55 PM
There are worse alternatives.

http://ultimatemets.com/jpeg/ArmandoBenitez1973.jpg

Brice
09-29-2008, 10:48 PM
This thread will soon be moved to Fedic Station where the other sports threads are.

Ruthful
09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks, Brice.

I didn't want to put it there initially because it began more as a humor/semi-related thread, but yeah, I suppose now it belongs in Fedic.

-good times, G.