PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Stephen King passage?

SirGaryColeman
09-28-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm going to enter an animation contest and I'm thinking of having a narration of a stephen king passage (or whole story) in the background. What is the scariest one or one that lends itself best to animation?

I've really never read the more "horror" oriented books from King, so I can't think of any. Any help?

Jackie
09-28-2008, 05:51 PM
IT, i love it and it's the best. Puts you right into the book and the characters live/minds.

John_and_Yoko
09-28-2008, 08:05 PM
For my money, the fire hose scene in The Shining creeped me out the most. :scared:

"...couldn't...quite...catch him?"

Jean
09-28-2008, 11:01 PM
dear friends,

let's look which direction this thread will take in the future; if we're discussing what is the scariest, it is going to be merged with Fear in a Handful of Dust thread; if it is the animation aspect, I believe it should be given a different title.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/thaku.gif

turtlex
09-29-2008, 02:20 AM
To me, the most high tension, scariest - it would be the trip through the tunnel that Larry Underwood takes in The Stand when he's leaving NYC.

ManOfWesternesse
09-29-2008, 03:29 AM
....maybe something from 'Pet Sematary'.
Like when Gage returns , or right at the end when rachel returns and Louis feels that cold hand on his shoulder *shudders* I've always found this to be, in certain ways, the scariest of SK's books.

agrabin
09-29-2008, 04:51 AM
This is something which has remained with me since I read the book many years ago. What about the scene when Donna finally kills off Cujo with the baseball bat?
Check it out and you'll see that it really is described quite beautifully -- if there is such a thing as describing horror that way.

Matt
09-29-2008, 07:02 AM
I was going to mention something from Cujo, that scene is a great example. Very scary book.

I would also mention the scene from Gerald's Game where the guy is in the corner waiting for her with the bag of finger bones. She's so screwed up she can't tell if he is there or not but you know he is.

MrQuint
09-29-2008, 07:55 AM
....maybe something from 'Pet Sematary'.
Like when Gage returns , or right at the end when rachel returns and Louis feels that cold hand on his shoulder *shudders* I've always found this to be, in certain ways, the scariest of SK's books.

I was going to say the same. Easily King's most frieghting book.

The flashback to Timmy Baterman gets me too.

Rjeso
09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
The one thing that has stuck with me re: creepiness factor is the phone in room 1408. That's the only King story that ever really wierded me out.

Six! This is six!

Jean
09-29-2008, 12:27 PM
the only?!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif

Heather19
09-29-2008, 04:41 PM
The scene in Gerald's Game where she awakens in the middle of the night and thinks someone is in the room but it's too dark she can't see anything, so right after convincing herself that noone is there she realizes that in fact someone is standing right in the room with her.

Or one of the many scenes in It.

Rjeso
09-29-2008, 06:28 PM
the only?!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif

There are several I haven't read yet, Sir Bear, but for now, yes. I'm a jaded soul. :lol:

GirlGoneNineteen
07-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Mordred eating Mia alive was probably the most disturbing thing I've ever read :o

flaggwalkstheline
07-02-2009, 09:14 AM
the scene in the regulators when seth goes down into the mine and gets possessed by tak and his dad and the mining director follow him
or the scene from that book when that one ladies head explodes but not b4 tak tells marinville that he will return

that book scares me:unsure:

Jean
07-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Dear friends,

I understand that it is rather inconvenient, but please mark your spoilers for crucial events (all deaths including - see Cara Laughs Spoiler Requirements (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=240)), and specify which book you're going to spoil, too. Since we're discussing all King books here, we can't mark the whole thread as spoiled, because it would mean only those who have read every damn thing can feel safe here.

I will edit some posts above now, so you see what I mean.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

candy
07-02-2009, 10:55 AM
the shining - the whole book:wtf:

sorry, been sat here trying to narrow it down, and i just kept thinking
'ooh that part' oh no 'what about that part' but 'that other part was also creepy'
so i cant decid:orely:

but i will think and come back

JQ The Gunslinger
07-02-2009, 03:30 PM
The one thing that has stuck with me re: creepiness factor is the phone in room 1408. That's the only King story that ever really wierded me out.

Six! This is six!

<Shudders> Very creepy indeed

Ozymandias
07-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Six! This is six!

Gotta agree. I just never felt quite right when reading it. Just always had this weird feeling in me. Only book or story that has ever done that to me.

rosie real
07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I agree about the phone in 1408. Those calls were particularly frightening. Also, the changes in the pictures.

John Blaze
07-06-2009, 11:09 AM
The Stand. The whole part where he's walking in the tunnel, stepping on the squishy bodies, freaked out of his mind? Scariest thing SK's written.

AIMB
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
That new story in Just After Sunset called "N." I got so scared after reading that I had to yell for my husband to come to bed b/c I was to scared to be alone.
I have probably been more scared thats just the most recent one.

I like Sunset alot better than I liked Everything's Eventual. 1408 was really good though.

Everyone knows it was the scariest book though.

flaggwalkstheline
07-07-2009, 09:27 AM
That new story in Just After Sunset called "N." I got so scared after reading that I had to yell for my husband to come to bed b/c I was to scared to be alone.
I have probably been more scared thats just the most recent one.

I like Sunset alot better than I liked Everything's Eventual. 1408 was really good though.

Everyone knows it was the scariest book though.

N is sai king paying tribute to lovecraft, its quite good but definately a lovecraft pastiche in the same vein as crouch end

AIMB
07-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Well sadly i have never read any Lovecraft. Looks like I am going to have to pick it up though because I love both of those stories. My ADD kicks in when i try to read something older because of the "language barrier" I guess. Not a good thing for someone who loves to read.

flaggwalkstheline
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
u should try him!

even sai king himself says he's the freakiest writer ever

AIMB
07-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm going to! As soon as I get myself to a half priced books!

rico567
07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
When you want scary, you want something that isn't supernatural, just an inescapable fact of life. Here, King establishes a completely new category of scary:

"Shall I tell you what sociology teaches us about the human race? I’ll give it to you in a nutshell. Show me a man or woman alone and I’ll show you a saint. Give me two and they’ll fall in love. Give me three and they’ll invent that charming thing we call 'society.' Give me four and they’ll build a pyramid. Give me five and they’ll make one an outcast. Give me six and they’ll re-invent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they’ll re-invent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of his opposite number, and is always trying to get back home."

- The Stand

Corwin
08-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Firestarter
Herman Pynchot's fatal attraction to a garbage disposal...always had a problem with kitchen appliances after reading this.

CyberGhostface
08-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I remember being shocked by the violence in both Desperation and Regulators when I first read it--at the time, King had never gone that far.

The 217 scene in The Shining was pretty scary when I first read it.

Letti
08-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Six! This is six!

Gotta agree. I just never felt quite right when reading it. Just always had this weird feeling in me. Only book or story that has ever done that to me.

Yeah, same here. I get scared by book or movies once in a blue moon but when I was reading that short story.. I felt so so.. uncomfortable. And this feeling was scary indeed. I thought: 'maybe I should continue it in the morning' - but of course I couldn't put it down.
Anyway this story is so incredibly good. Simple still it scares the death out of you.

Darkthoughts
08-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Desperation shocked me too, but the thing I think I found the scariest was the passage in IT where you hear how Stan died and see his gory warning/suicide note simply saying, "It" - that really gave me the shivers.
I think it was so scary because it relayed how immensely afraid the characters were, so you as the reader knew you were in for a rough ride.

TheCrisisKing
08-06-2009, 05:59 PM
It "Hiya Georgie" thats all :scared:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Have to agree with the Lincoln Tunnel scene from the Stand. There are many runners up, but this one for me takes the cake.

Solar
08-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Many scenes in It (including those mentioned above) freak me out.

GirlGoneNineteen
08-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Adding to my previous post:
The Regulators - going deeper and deeper into the mine. My severe claustrophobia doesn't help, either!
The Wastelands - One word: Blaine.
Children of the Corn - the description of the church :shudder:

cody44
08-20-2009, 05:32 PM
The Lincoln Tunnel scene, and the thing under the castle in Dark Tower 7.

sleeplessdwarf
08-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Pet Sematary was extremely scary for me. It was my first King book, and I started it only a few months after I experienced the first death of someone I knew. My 8th grade GF was killed in a car wreck when her idiot brother was screwing with the radio. I stayed home a lot after that and that is when I decided to clear my head by reading a book. Looking back, I could have made a better choice of read. Now, as a 30 something, I find King scary in different ways. 1408 did make me feel weird while reading very late a few months ago while everyone slept. Good thing I did not watch the movie first. Finishing up Desperation now, shows more violence than I remember. Most of my early King books were Different Season's(Apt Pupil was chilling),Needful Things, Bag of Bones, Tommyknockers and Dreamcatcher. So, The Dark Tower was just a joy and not as violent to me as it may have been to others. If Regulators gets worse than Desperation, then I guess I am in for a treat. :D

ola
08-21-2009, 01:19 PM
The lawn jockey scene in Duma Key creeped me out more than anything in other SK books so far. Totally random.

And the first time I read the Wastelands, I think that Blaine might have spooked me too. I don't clearly remember though.

Merlin1958
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
This one is not King, but Peter Straub and even though I read it over 20 years ago I still recall it as one of the most spine tingling passages I have ever read. I believe the book was Floating Dragon (could be Ghost Story my memory has gone to shit lately) There is a scene where the local football star confronts a werewolf at the top of the stairs and the beast smashes his head against the wall and proceeds to come down the stairs dragging the kids brains along the wall as he descends. Very Creepy

Damn scared myself just typing that!! lol lol

Anyone with a better memory recall that passage?

Merlin1958
08-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Again, this is not King, but I was a read-a-holic as a kid and never even considered anything that wasn't on the NY Times best-seller list. Then I had a teacher who convinced me that classic's are classic's for a reason.

Hence, I read "Bram Stokers Dracula" and man what a creepy & scary story especially in the way it is written. Frankenstien was great as well. Probably got me going on my SK obsession lol lol

Just my 3 beans on the matter

Myste
10-05-2009, 02:48 AM
Have to agree with the Lincoln Tunnel scene from the Stand. There are many runners up, but this one for me takes the cake.

I totally agree with this!

Delah
10-07-2009, 06:57 AM
The death of Eddie Corocan in IT.

You knew that he was dead already, but just the idea that King would kill off this 12 year old boy,have him murdered by It, was so awful. I was 11 when I read it, and its just so creepy. You've read about the other Losers having their experiences with Pennywise, but for some reason or another (quick thinking or just dumb luck) they got away. Eddie didn't. He died in the park on the last day of school, torn apart by something that looked like the creature from the Black Lagoon.

cody44
10-07-2009, 04:02 PM
The death of Eddie Corocan in IT.

That part was very creepy, especially when Mike Hanlon rides his bike over to the park, in the fog, the next morning.

Especially -

The foam broke apart, became meaningless again, and at that moment there was a loud splash on his right. Mike snapped his head around, shrinking back a little, and for a moment he believed he saw something in the shadows of the outflow tunnel where the Canal resurfaced after its course under downtown.
Then it was gone.

Sam
10-07-2009, 04:57 PM
The scariest passage King ever wrote for me was

when Rachel came home to Louis in Pet Semetary. He hears he walk in and... "Darling", it said. BAM!! I had to read it twice before my brain fully grasped the horror of the passage.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Pet Sematary was always one of the scariest books for me. On recent reread, having two new twin daughters (18 mos), the book took on a horrible aspect that hadnt really affected me as strongly in previous reads. The death of Gage and the anguish that Louis must have felt dealing with the death of his son and the terrible funeral and then the long walk to the Pet Sematary. All these things just to be forced to kill his own son a second time.

These things, though not necessarily scary were truly horrible, especially from a father's aspect.

Jean
10-08-2009, 01:35 AM
don't even mention Pet Sematary to me, or I won't be able to sleep

rosie real
10-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Pet Sematary was always one of the scariest books for me. On recent reread, having two new twin daughters (18 mos), the book took on a horrible aspect that hadnt really affected me as strongly in previous reads. The death of Gage and the anguish that Louis must have felt dealing with the death of his son and the terrible funeral and then the long walk to the Pet Sematary. All these things just to be forced to kill his own son a second time.

These things, though not necessarily scary were truly horrible, especially from a father's aspect.

isn't it interesting how this book changes so dramatically once a child is in your life? i never thought twice about it until my god daughter was born. i haven't read it since. i just can't bring myself to pick it up. :panic:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-08-2009, 05:56 PM

isn't it interesting how this book changes so dramatically once a child is in your life? i never thought twice about it until my god daughter was born. i haven't read it since. i just can't bring myself to pick it up. :panic:

I actually almost cried a couple of times, and books rarely affect me so powerfully.

Lily-sai
10-09-2009, 04:51 AM
The lawn jockey scene in Duma Key creeped me out more than anything in other SK books so far. Totally random.

And the first time I read the Wastelands, I think that Blaine might have spooked me too. I don't clearly remember though.

Amen, AMEN!!! :scared:

It truly scared the bejesus out of me.

Brice
10-11-2009, 06:38 AM
The scariest words Stephen King ever wrote:

The End

Jean
10-11-2009, 08:02 AM

out of bears too

Jon
10-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Flagg Having sex with Nadine in The Stand. The description of her sensations!

Myste
10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Yeah... The End is pretty damn scary!:scared:

Heather19
10-12-2009, 11:18 AM

out of bears too

That lawn jockey really creeped me out as well. There's actually a house nearby that has one and everytime I drive by I'm immediately reminded of the one in Duma Key :scared:

Sickrose
10-14-2009, 12:54 PM

Six! This is six!

I absolutely agree with this one !! I loved that short story and it genuinely unerved me!

pathoftheturtle
03-08-2010, 04:03 PM
There are certain terrible motifs in some of his short stories. I'm truly horrified by "The Boogeyman," and "Gramma." Somewhat related ideas appear in "Quitters, Inc." and "Secret Window, Secret Garden."
Nothing like King's most horrific novel, Morgan Sloat is so clearly dispicable that his decision to sacrifice his son really felt predictable. Still, I think the authors intended some suspense around the decision. :orely:

The scene in Gerald's Game where she awakens in the middle of the night and thinks someone is in the room but it's too dark she can't see anything, so right after convincing herself that noone is there she realizes that in fact someone is standing right in the room with her. ...Yes, that was creepy. Unfortunately, the rest of the book didn't have much purpose, other than to dispell that one moment. It's been a long time since I've read it, but I believe that was pretty cornily treated as simply an incredible coincidence. What makes the scene so scary is that we all have had such feelings. What would have been really horrifying would be a book in which lurking things only remain hidden from people who are connected to society...

Some of King's more otherworldly tales which really affected me: "The Moving Finger," "The Monkey," and "The Road Virus Heads North."

meaella
03-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I think I nearly had a stroke when I read 1408 for the first time. And The Shining . . . oooooh. The fire-hose part gets me every time, as does the part where Danny is playing outside on the playground. I won't be too specific or I'll freak myself out.

It doesn't help that hotels have always make me a bit uncomfortable; I'm pretty sure Stephen King has really reinforced this little phobia.

thebumblerinblack
03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
There are certain terrible motifs in some of his short stories. I'm truly horrified by "The Boogeyman," and "Gramma." Somewhat related ideas appear in "Quitters, Inc." and "Secret Window, Secret Garden."
Nothing like King's most horrific novel, Morgan Sloat is so clearly dispicable that his decision to sacrifice his son really felt predictable. Still, I think the authors intended some suspense around the decision. :orely:

The scene in Gerald's Game where she awakens in the middle of the night and thinks someone is in the room but it's too dark she can't see anything, so right after convincing herself that noone is there she realizes that in fact someone is standing right in the room with her. ...Yes, that was creepy. Unfortunately, the rest of the book didn't have much purpose, other than to dispell that one moment. It's been a long time since I've read it, but I believe that was pretty cornily treated as simply an incredible coincidence. What makes the scene so scary is that we all have had such feelings. What would have been really horrifying would be a book in which lurking things only remain hidden from people who are connected to society...

Some of King's more otherworldly tales which really affected me: "The Moving Finger," "The Monkey," and "The Road Virus Heads North."

I thought that scene in Gerald's Game, and the whole book, was plenty good and scary, and held as much purpose as any of King's non DT books (sometimes its nice to read the stories that arent full of mind-bendng links and "incredible coincidences", even though gerald's game does have links to other books, for instance dolores claiborne). It may not have been his best or strongest story from the early 90's, but I didnt think it was corny at all. And what really makes that scene so scary is not that we've all had such feelings, but that there's a deformed serial killer/necrophiliac stirring a box full of his victims bones and jewelry, watching a defenseless woman handcuffed to a bed in a cabin that reeks of her dead and rotting, partially eaten husband.

Brice
03-10-2010, 04:15 AM
...but haven't we all done that too? :unsure: :innocent:

pathoftheturtle
03-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Good question, actually. (For once. :P)
...Gerald's Game...held as much purpose as any of King's non DT books (sometimes its nice to read the stories that arent full of mind-bendng links and "incredible coincidences"...He just happened to pick that house to enter, right? Take away ka, and that's beyond incredible... unless we're meant to believe that similar situations are fairly common behind closed doors.:unsure: (I will re-read, tho, if there's some level in it of room for ka which I overlooked or have forgotten about.)

Brice
03-11-2010, 05:46 AM

<_<

...Gerald's Game...held as much purpose as any of King's non DT books (sometimes its nice to read the stories that arent full of mind-bendng links and "incredible coincidences"...He just happened to pick that house to enter, right? Take away ka, and that's beyond incredible... unless we're meant to believe that similar situations are fairly common behind closed doors.:unsure: (I will re-read, tho, if there's some level in it of room for ka which I overlooked or have forgotten about.)I'd say what's common behind closed doors may be the scariest thing.

mae
03-11-2010, 05:50 AM
I think I nearly had a stroke when I read 1408 for the first time.

"1408" was first released as an audiobook, and I too nearly had a stroke while listening to it. Those that have "Blood and Smoke" can surely attest to that.

thebumblerinblack
03-12-2010, 12:19 AM
...Gerald's Game...held as much purpose as any of King's non DT books (sometimes its nice to read the stories that arent full of mind-bendng links and "incredible coincidences"...He just happened to pick that house to enter, right? Take away ka, and that's beyond incredible... unless we're meant to believe that similar situations are fairly common behind closed doors.:unsure: (I will re-read, tho, if there's some level in it of room for ka which I overlooked or have forgotten about.)

I don't know, I guess Im just not as picky as some with stuff like that. I havent read it in awhile, either, but even if the guy does go into her cabin randomly, I'm okay with that, because that's just the way King wrote it, and I know that strange and stranger coincidences like that do happen everyday.

ps I love your signature though, great movie, been watchin it all my life!

Kronz
03-13-2010, 01:54 PM
For me it's probably in Misery when Paul is sneaking out of bed in his wheelchair and Annie comes home a little early. Nightmarish.

pathoftheturtle
03-17-2010, 07:59 AM

<_<
I kid. ;)

...Gerald's Game...held as much purpose as any of King's non DT books (sometimes its nice to read the stories that arent full of mind-bendng links and "incredible coincidences"...He just happened to pick that house to enter, right? Take away ka, and that's beyond incredible... unless we're meant to believe that similar situations are fairly common behind closed doors.:unsure: (I will re-read, tho, if there's some level in it of room for ka which I overlooked or have forgotten about.)I'd say what's common behind closed doors may be the scariest thing.Well, you've definitely got a point there. Nonetheless, I continue to see Gerald's Game as sort of like Pulp Fiction without any sense of humor.><

If you want to talk about the horror of evil as a commonplace, though, another one of SK's scariest passages, IMO, is the motel in the town of Harko seen in Black House. *shudder*

Brice
03-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Oh, I forget that. It's been too long since I've read that one and my memory is VERY short. :(

Heather19
03-17-2010, 05:34 PM
The thing that scares me with that one scene in Gerald's Game is that I'm sure everyone has at some point awoken in the dead of night, and heard a noise or thought they saw something. Well what if there actually was someone right there in the room with you....

pathoftheturtle
03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. It's terrifying! I felt disappointed that that concept wasn't what the story was about. As I kept reading, I recall, there were only some daffy action sequences.

blavigne
11-27-2010, 06:46 AM
For me it's probably in Misery when Paul is sneaking out of bed in his wheelchair and Annie comes home a little early. Nightmarish.

Absolutely!!! I literally "felt" that whole horrendous scene. The whole book scared me to death as the premise was so possible. Annie was was of the best characters ever in my opinion and Kathy Bates really rocked that part in the movie too. One of the few times where I liked the movie as well as the book!!

maerlyns_rainbow
11-28-2010, 02:31 PM

Six! This is six!

Yes!

1408, N, and The Road Virus Heads North all scare the shit outta me. Not just the first time through them either. Every time.

BUT, there are so many terrifying passages in so many different books! I'm reading IT again right now and it seems like I'm getting goosebumps every few pages!

maerlyns_rainbow
11-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Me either since having my daughter (10 months)! I know it will be too disturbing for me, at least for right now. Everything becomes scary once you're a parent: car rides, germs, small objects...

WeDealInLead
11-28-2010, 04:02 PM
The entire time it took to read Gramma I was feeling uneasy.

Hedge and firehose parts in The Shining.

Sacrifice in 'Salem's Lot.

Plaster man/The Guardian in The Waste Lands.

Overall, the scariest was Pet Sematary.

Erin
11-29-2010, 07:52 AM
The hedge animal scenes in the Shining. *shudder*

Son of Paul
01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
What about the tunnels in The Stand? You don't need to be scared of the dark to be freaked out with that scenario.

But overall, to me, the scariest stuff King does is usually his Lovercraft-attempts in the shorter stories. I'm thinking Jerusalem's Lot here.

Oh, and I know it's probably too easy, but Pennywise in the sewer, offering balloons to Georgy? Talk about setting the tone for a story right there.

johnny39
01-25-2011, 09:58 AM
So many:

Lincoln Tunnel scene in The Stand
Teenage Werewolf chasing the kids in IT, basically anything involving the house on Neibolt St.
The last scene in Salem's Lot in the basement
The thudding of the roque mallet in the halls from the Shining

Barlowe
01-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Well sadly i have never read any Lovecraft. Looks like I am going to have to pick it up though because I love both of those stories. My ADD kicks in when i try to read something older because of the "language barrier" I guess. Not a good thing for someone who loves to read.

You should definetely pick up some Lovecraft...IMO, there isn't a real language barrier with his stuff - mostly, anyhow. I really enjoyed his "In the Mountains of Madness" (I think it's called) and certain other of his works. Be warned though, there is some popular culture you'll suddenly know is basing their stuff on Lovecraft :p

For me, as for many others, the phone in 1408 with its SIX, this is SIX and all that jazz is just horrifying.

There are certain other SK books such as Pet Sematary which I have re-read maybe 1 or 2 times since my original reading of it, since the whole damn thing just freaks me out.

Merlin1958
01-27-2011, 04:49 PM
To me, the most high tension, scariest - it would be the trip through the tunnel that Larry Underwood takes in The Stand when he's leaving NYC.

Being a life-long NYer, I would have to agree that scene, without a doubt creeped me out the most!!!!!!!!

Next was Danny going into the room (218?) in the Overlook and afte that, unfortunately, Floating Dragon and the "Wolfman in the house" scene!!!!!!

Stu in Stovington facility was pretty scary as well. Real page turner!!!!

Oh!!! and when the Vamp confronted Callahan in the kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have the occasional nightmare regarding all three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TCCBodhi
03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I found myself INCREDIBLY creeped out in the Langoliers with the empty world. I initially read it what I was a music nerd living in a jock dorm. I was reading it on a Friday night at about midnight when the place was usually just obnoxiously loud. On this night however, there was just NOTHING going on outside my room. I was so affected by the book that I had to get dressed and walk clear up to the lobby to make sure there were still people around.

mikeC
06-01-2012, 11:14 AM
I enjoy Steve's writing very much but not many things actually scare me in a book, I just find them cool or messed up but 2 passages he wrote that creeped me out while reading were:

The part in The Shining where they hear a party in the hotel and the elevator is full of confetti, man that was awesome. I really felt like I was standing there with them waiting for that door to open. Chills, man, chills!

In Gerald's game when she woke up and saw the dude in the corner. That was literally the equivalent to a jump scare in the movies but while reading, to me.

Honorable mention goes to Steve's reading of 1408...number 9 number 9....
Love it!

Jean
07-10-2012, 09:06 AM
The scariest King's passage for me is (expectedly) in Pet Sematary; I can't quote it verbatim because I am home alone, and the night is coming - I prefer not to touch this book under such circumstances. It's when

He is waiting for Gage to come back, and hears a sound in the house. The sound is stealthy, but at the same time it's obvious that the one who made it meant it to be heard.

I really wish I hadn't remembered it now.

Brice
07-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Home alone in the dark is the best time for horrors. :D

blavigne
07-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Absolutely Brice :)

I think the scariest passage ever is the one from Misery where Annie hobbles Paul. I actually felt that. The anticipation was gut wrenching

Empath of the White
07-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I can't give you the passage verbatim, and I can't recall if it was a flashback or not, but Patrick Hockstetter smothering his baby brother. Another from IT that sticks with me is Henry's dad sitting in the darkened room with either a katana or gun across his lap, blaming Mike Hanlon's family for their misfortune. I think it led Henry to kill Mike's dog. Being a dog lover, it was a horrific thing to read.

Jimimck
07-12-2012, 06:24 PM
For me it's the end of The Jaunt

Longer than you think dad, longer than you think!
The image of the crazy kid screaming those words has been burnt in my mind ever since I read it

Dan
07-13-2012, 10:29 AM
For me it's the end of The Jaunt

Longer than you think dad, longer than you think!
The image of the crazy kid screaming those words has been burnt in my mind ever since I read it

Couldn't agree more.

BabyBlue
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Full Dark, No Stars from the story 1922 The husband throws the wife's body in the well along with the bed clothes and a burlap sack. She is described as looking like she is dressed for a party. The burlap sack holding her hair back like a snood. Something about the word snood continues to scare me even as I am typing this. Later when she comes to the door with her loyal court of rats, her snood is flecked with snow... and my skin wants to crawl right off my body and hide under the bed until its all over.

kirin
08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Pet semetery in general tends to mess with my head

Letti
08-17-2012, 10:22 PM
You might laugh but for me this (from DT): "...the most horrible fact of human existence is that broken hearts mend."

CyberGhostface
08-18-2012, 07:09 AM
I also remember the end of The Road Virus Heads North scaring me when I first read it.

woodpryan
08-29-2012, 04:53 PM
The chapter of "IT" titled "Another of The Missing: The Death of Patrick Hockstetter" is one of the most frightening things I've ever read in a novel.
Also, the two scenes that have already been mentioned from Gerald's Game were pretty damn scary.
And, finally, this one isn't from King, but, in William Pete Blatty's The Exorcist, there is a scene where Regan's skin comes up in goose-flesh to spell "HELP ME", and that was actually THE most frightening thing I've ever read. I had to put down the book, go smoke a cigarette, calm down, and come back to it. There were a few scenes like that in that novel, but that one in particular. I get chills just thinking about it.

Merlin1958
08-29-2012, 05:57 PM
The chapter of "IT" titled "Another of The Missing: The Death of Patrick Hockstetter" is one of the most frightening things I've ever read in a novel.
Also, the two scenes that have already been mentioned from Gerald's Game were pretty damn scary.
And, finally, this one isn't from King, but, in William Pete Blatty's The Exorcist, there is a scene where Regan's skin comes up in goose-flesh to spell "HELP ME", and that was actually THE most frightening thing I've ever read. I had to put down the book, go smoke a cigarette, calm down, and come back to it. There were a few scenes like that in that novel, but that one in particular. I get chills just thinking about it.

I'm totally with ya!!!

Jean
08-30-2012, 12:02 AM
interesting how different everything is. I found the Hockstetter part deeply disturbing, but hardly scary - and the Help Me part in The Exorcist moved me almost to tears...

Joka42
09-29-2012, 01:54 AM
1922 of full dark, no stars is the story that caused more horror to my.

Lady Santos
10-12-2012, 06:37 PM
The Shining-where Danny was on the playground in the snow and that "thing" was in the tunnel-the only passage in any book that has chilled me to the bone. Also, N., one of the short stories in Full Dark. *shudders* Was extremely creepy, but still did not have the impact on me that The Shining did.

Lady Santos
10-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Apologies, "N" was in "Just After Sunset." brain meltdown there :)

Jean
10-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Apologies, "N" was in "Just After Sunset." brain meltdown there :)you can always edit your posts, there's a special button

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Eternal Unity
05-04-2019, 09:31 AM
"I found a room in the basement of my heart, and I put those things in that room and then I locked the door" - Sam Peebles

Story: The Library Policeman, Chapter 10.
Book: Four Past Midnight.
Publication: September 1990.

St. Troy
05-05-2019, 09:39 AM
From It:
COME HOME COME HOME COME HOME

Still gives me the chills.

Hunchback Jack
05-06-2019, 02:51 PM
This passage from Pet Sematary freaked me out when I first read it, and has only become more chilling over time. You probably all know the one I'm talking about:

It was a moment with his son that Louis never forgot. As he had gone up and into the kite as a child himself, he now found himself going into Gage, his son. He felt himself shrink until he was within Gage's tiny house, looking out of the windows that were his eyes--looking out at a world that was so huge and bright, a world where Mrs. Vinton's field was nearly as big as the Bonneville Salt Flats, where the kite soared miles above him, the string drumming in his fist like a live thing as the wind blew around him, tumbling his hair.
"Kite flyne!" Gage cried out to his father, and Louis put his arm around Cage's shoulders and kissed the boy's cheek, in which the wind had bloomed a wild rose.
"I love you, Gage," he said--it was between the two of them, and that was all right.
And Gage, who now had less than two months to live, laughed shrilly and joyously. "Kite flyne! Kite flyne, Daddy!"

HBJ

Sai Sheb
03-08-2020, 09:40 AM
The scariest King's passage for me is (expectedly) in Pet Sematary; I can't quote it verbatim because I am home alone, and the night is coming - I prefer not to touch this book under such circumstances. It's when

He is waiting for Gage to come back, and hears a sound in the house. The sound is stealthy, but at the same time it's obvious that the one who made it meant it to be heard.

I really wish I hadn't remembered it now.

Totally agree... pet sematery scared the crap out of me.
I was 19 in bed in a flat in spain by myself...
Also when the cat came lurching across the lawn... my God I could see it!
I had to get up and turn on every light in the apartment.