PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King (an unauthorized biography)

herbertwest
09-27-2008, 03:13 AM
Noone talked about that book...

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/hauntedheart.jpg

Lilja gave the following informations:

Here is the cover to a biography of Stephen King called Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King. The book isn't authorized but King knows about it.

The book is scheduled to be released in January 2009

Can be pre-ordered via amazon

Brice
09-27-2008, 03:29 AM
Cool! This is the first I've heard of it. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

jhanic
09-27-2008, 04:38 AM
Bev Vincent has talked a bit about this book on his site. He does say that the author has talked to a lot of people (including him) that know King, but that King was never interviewed. It makes me wonder about how accurate this book can be.

John

Bev Vincent
09-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I lump it in with George Beahm's books -- unauthorized but not necessarily inaccurate. I limited my comments to my thoughts about his works and his place in literary canon. She wanted to get into more personal issues, but I refused to talk about that.

Her book about Shel Silverstein didn't receive particularly good reviews. She has done books about people like Obama that were essentially just collections of quotes from a variety of sources. I have an ARC on the way, so I'll let you know what I think about it after I persue it.

jhanic
09-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks, Bev. I'll be looking forward to your evaluation.

John

herbertwest
09-27-2008, 12:13 PM
thanks bev

Patrick
09-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I look forward to hearing your perspective after you've read it, Bev. Thanks.

Bev Vincent
10-19-2008, 07:18 AM
I read it yesterday -- it's pretty good. If you've read widely about King, little of it will be new, but it brings together a lot of information from disparate sources into a contiguous narrative. Lots of quotes from interviews, and remarks from people like Stan Wiater, Chuck Verrill, Ridley Pearson, Dave Barry, Otto Penzler, Kathi Kamen, Rick Hautala, Tony Magistrale, Michael Collings, etc.

Also lots of quotes from King himself in his various intros, non-fiction books and interviews, and from his family.

I was quoted briefly twice, and my interviews with Tabby and Owen were quoted as well.

I think it's a pretty fair and comprehensive volume.

mia/susannah
10-19-2008, 07:24 AM
I am looking forward to getting a copy of this one day, Thanks for sharing Thank you Bev for the information that you shared as well.

jhanic
10-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Looks like I'll probably pick up a copy too.

John

gsvec
10-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Ordered mine - thanks for the unofficial review, Bev! :)

Bev Vincent
10-19-2008, 03:30 PM
She has a funny anecdote in the intro, while discussing how the book is unauthorized, about being interviewed by Marsha (yes, being interviewed!) and being aware of King lurking around the office the whole time, but never once coming in to meet her.

Bev Vincent
11-03-2008, 03:17 AM
Publishers Weekly:

Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King Lisa Rogak. St. Martin's/Dunne, $25.95 (304p) ISBN 978-0-312-37732-8

Though critical studies of his vast oeuvre abound, King—the bestselling author of the 20th century—has not been the subject of a book-length biography until this strictly serviceable study. Rogak (The Man Behind The Da Vinci Code) doesn't probe her subject or his work too deeply. Rather, she strings together the best-known facts of his life with workmanlike efficiency: his family's early abandonment by his father; the author's triumph over an impoverished childhood; his perseverance and prolificacy as a writer; his determination, despite his comfort with genre fiction, to be regarded as more than a horror writer; his struggles with alcohol and drugs; his generosity toward other writers; the accident that nearly killed him in 1999. Rogak structures her text primarily around the chronology of King's scores of books and their film adaptations. Though she interviewed some of King's friends and colleagues, much of the book is derived from secondary sources. Her text is repetitive and cliché-ridden, but the facts she marshals will serve King fans not familiar with his life. 8 pages of b&w photos. (Jan.)

alinda
11-03-2008, 03:22 AM
Huh, not the best press on it but who's to say? Thats quite a price tag too. I usually don't spend that much on a book unless Stephen King wrote it!!:wtf:

CRinVA
11-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Only $17.13 n amazon.com! :-)