PDA

View Full Version : A new and dangerous form of a drug. All parents read.

Jon
09-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Ok well, it's new to me.

New drug in Schools....

Please pass this on even if you do not have kids in school. Parents should know about this killer drug.
Grandparents, send it to your families and friends.

This is a new drug known as 'strawberry quick '. There is a very scary thing going on in the schools right now that we all need to be aware of.
There is a type of crystal meth going around that looks like strawberry pop rocks (the candy that sizzles and 'pops' in your mouth). It also smells like strawberry and it is being handed out to kids in school yards. They are calling it strawberry meth or strawberry quick.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/walterodim_photos/newdrug.jpg

Kids are ingesting this thinking that it is candy and being rushed off to the hospital in dire condition. It also comes in chocolate, peanut butter, cola, cherry, grape and orange.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/walterodim_photos/newdrug2.jpg

Please instruct your children not to accept candy from strangers, and even not to accept candy that looks like this from a friend (who may have been given it and believed it to be candy) and to take any that they may have to a teacher, principal, etc. immediately.
Please share this with as many people as you can (even if they don't have kids) so that we can raise awareness and hopefully, prevent any tragedies from occurring.
Click on the link below, it is very informative!! As parents, we need to know this!!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271215,00.html

Jean
09-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Jon,

thank you very much for posting it!

I understand that you wanted to make sure everyone would read it, so I will leave it here for some time, and then this thread will be merged with its twin in BHeaven.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Jackie
09-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Yes, i heard about this about last year or so maybe two. I don't know, but i know i heard it so i know to watch out, I'm not taking 'pop-rocks' from anyone. :lol:

alinda
09-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Thanks Jon for telling me about this, I had not heard of it before, I will pass this information around the hospital, it is dreadful to think of children being targeted
in this way to destroy their bodies, and minds with such poison.:arg:

lophophoras
09-27-2008, 02:24 AM
If a dealer gets caught with this crap he/she deserves to hang for it.

Jean
09-27-2008, 02:28 AM
If a dealer gets caught with this crap he/she deserves to hang for it.
wholeheartedly agree. That's what I argued in that Death Penalty thread. There are things perpetrators of which just can't be let live, it would be degrading for the whole mankind if they are allowed to breathe the air and walk the earth, even if it was prison cell floor.

Brice
09-27-2008, 03:20 AM
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/drugs/candymeth.asp

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/strawberry-quick-meth.shtml

Sorry, but this sounds like little more than more antidrug scare tactics and propaganda to me. It is not a new (or more dangerous) drug. It is simply methamphetamine (dangerous enough as it is). What evidence is there that this is being marketed to kids, beyond it being in pretty colors and possibly flavored? Adults like pretty colors and flavors too. Why aren't the companies that market flavored rolling papers prosecuted more harshly for marketing their drug products (be they for tobacco or weed) to kids? And why can alcohol come in pretty colors and yummy flavors? Is it marketed to kids also?

alinda
09-27-2008, 04:45 AM
Yes , it is just regulated a bit better

Brice
09-27-2008, 04:50 AM
See the thing is I don't think those things are marketed to kids at all. The fact that they may be attractive to kids is consequential, and I believe the same applies to this drug in most cases.

Jean
09-27-2008, 04:57 AM
I am of the opinion, however, that whenever drugs are concerned, exaggerated vigilance is better than negligeance, especially if kids come into the picture in any way.

Brice
09-27-2008, 05:04 AM
Hey, I'm 100% for keeping drugs away from kids, but I think such exaggerated vigilance is dangerous in itself. The one thing that really works is to educate your kids (with facts, not fear and propaganda) and instill in them good sound reason then trust them to make their own decisions (they will anyway).

alinda
09-27-2008, 05:04 AM
I have to agree with Jean on this one., and when you stop to consider I was but 12 years old when I was offered and took LSD. My life changed so very much that day...if I could take it back I would without question.

Brice
09-27-2008, 05:07 AM
I have to agree with Jean on this one., and when you stop to consider I was but 12 years old when I was offered and took LSD. My life changed so very much that day...if I could take it back I would without question.

Well, I can understand you taking back tripping at twelve if you could, but would you take back your collective experiences with it? Do you think you'd be the person you are now if you did?

alinda
09-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I think I may have ended up on the same road anyway, to be honest.... I am I after all.
But when in hindsight I look back at certain "adults" in my life that I blindly was led by...why I could just kick their asses! I would NEVER in life give that treatment to a minor child!! Outlaw or not Gyspy or whatever....the kids I know wouldnt have a chance of bumming so much as one cigarette from me, let alone drugs or sex. :onfire:

Poisonbat
09-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Flavored meth is no more dangerous than unflavored to me. Being an ex meth user, 10 years clean, I may have tried it. But drug dealers handing out their product to little kids? Dealers are out to make money off their sales, not many school children have money to buy from dealers. For this reason, I think that they are simply trying to make meth a new thing again. I don't think that flavoring or adding scents are directly targeted at luring children to the drug. I am confused on why the sentence would be any different for a dealer dealing strawberry meth or regular meth. Why? They are the same drug, should have the same consequences. :orely:

alinda
09-27-2008, 02:07 PM
They do in my mind. Poison !

Hannah
09-27-2008, 03:02 PM
I think I may have ended up on the same road anyway, to be honest.... I am I after all.
But when in hindsight I look back at certain "adults" in my life that I blindly was led by...why I could just kick their asses! I would NEVER in life give that treatment to a minor child!! Outlaw or not Gyspy or whatever....the kids I know wouldnt have a chance of bumming so much as one cigarette from me, let alone drugs or sex. :onfire:

Although a little off topic, I completely agree. I can't even name the number of times I've been out and had a teenager come ask me if they could "bum" a smoke. If they're under 18 (I always ask), then they don't get one. No exceptions. I don't contribute to the bad habits of minors. I figure if they think they are old enough to smoke when the law tells them otherwise then they are old enough to find their own cigarettes.

But Aaron and I both agree that if an adult asks for a smoke we give it up. If you have a habit you're not willing to share then it's time to give it up. :D

Patrick
09-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey, I'm 100% for keeping drugs away from kids, but I think such exaggerated vigilance is dangerous in itself. The one thing that really works is to educate your kids (with facts, not fear and propaganda) and instill in them good sound reason then trust them to make their own decisions (they will anyway).
Speaking as a parent, I agree with this post.

Being a parent, I also understand that we will all have different ways of trying to achieve this in raising our children.

Woofer
09-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Speaking as a parent, I agree with this post.

Being a parent, I also understand that we will all have different ways of trying to achieve this in raising our children.

Agreed. You go too far in the paranoia department and you'll find yourself delaying ball games to explode possible bombs that turn out to be hotdogs (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080925/D93DV0Q81.html). It can also morph into a twist on the "cry wolf" syndrome wherein a warning needs to be heeded but is not because the prior warnings were exaggerated.

John Blaze
09-28-2008, 02:01 PM
. But drug dealers handing out their product to little kids? Dealers are out to make money off their sales, not many school children have money to buy from dealers. For this reason, I think that they are simply trying to make meth a new thing again. I don't think that flavoring or

Yeah, Sorry Jon, but I'm gonna call BS on this one.

alinda
09-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I know sadly too many children who are exposed to drugs at an ungodly age, along with too many other "adult" things. Many adults have no issue hanging out with and turning on with kids cuz they want to be their friend....My sons have no such association with me
( altho' they send me weird friend stuff on line) they know I am the MOM, and get them high? NO WAY! They are all over 21 now, and whatever they do in private well....lets just say, At some point you got to trust you did a good job.:couple:

Matt
09-29-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm a hard partyer and my kids were still able to figure out the "rights" and "wrongs" where drugs were concerned.

I think, no matter what it tastes and smells like, it is up to the parents to make sure kids are taught this stuff will kill you.

However, I also agree that if someone is caught selling this stuff to a kid (because it can totally fuck up your mind and ruin your life)--they should be harshly dealt with.

Brice
09-29-2008, 07:55 AM
The thing is though I can't seem to find one single reference to a dealer selling this to kids. Not even on the DEA site. This is just fear, for now.

Ves'Ka Gan
09-29-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/drugs/candymeth.asp

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/strawberry-quick-meth.shtml

Thanks for the links, Brice--the story sounded a little off to me as well. With few exceptions, I was straightedge my entire life up until a few years ago when I started smoking cigarettes and drinking on occassion, I am all for coming down hard on drug dealers and making sure our children are aware of the dangers--what I Am not all for is scare tactics and propaganda, which if you read the articles Brice linked, you will see that is what this is.

If you exaggerate and go crazy over things like this--eventually, your kids will figure it out--and if they find out you exaggerated, are they going to trust you & your judgement? Or are they going to wonder what else you exaggerated about?

I think being honest and loving with kids always has a better effect than scaring them--I may not be a parent but I worked in Spec Ed with behavioral challenged kids off and on for many years--and that's just the lesson I learned.