PDA

View Full Version : **SPOILERS** The Cat From Hell

jhanic
09-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I've been lucky enough to collect all four issues of the men's magazines that ran Stephen King's story The Cat From Hell and the associated contest winners: The original 500 words of the story, written by King (in the March 1977 Cavalier), the entire King story (Cavalier June 1977), and the two contest winners, Phil Bowie (Cavalier September 1977) and Mark Rains Gent (Gent December 1977).

I was asked to give synopses of the latter two stories in another forum, but I think this would be the more appropriate spot.

The following is from the September 1977 Cavalier that reviews the contest submissions and is the synopsis of the Rains story. I'll be following with the Bowie story synopsis soon.

The envelope Drogan is holding contains photos of nude people dancing around a symbol, a young woman on a sofa and Drogan in a black hood—as a warlock. He tells Halston that he had thrown acid on his mistress Victoria’s face and had then turned her into a cat, which is trying to destroy him. The cat then slashes Drogan to death and the hit man, Halston, decides not to kill the cat…the old man deserved to die.

John

CRinVA
09-26-2008, 09:26 AM
attached where??????

jhanic
09-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Sorry, Bob, the attachment didn't work properly, so I just edited the post to give one of the synopses. I'll be following with the Bowie synopsis as soon as I read the story.

John

herbertwest
09-26-2008, 10:20 AM
When was the contest submissions ending?
Was the King's version published before the contest ended (June/september)???

thanks a lot!

Personnally, i dont really like that storyline... "too much" IMO

jhanic
10-06-2008, 04:18 AM
The Phil Bowie version is:

Drogan is the father of one of Halston's victims. The envelope has a picture of his son. His son, and all 23 other of Halston's victims, have come back as identical black and white cats. Although Halston keeps trying to kill the cats, there are enough left to finish him.

John