PDA

View Full Version : What is Poetry?

Matt
06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Just a general question and I believe its always been why I am afraid of writing it. Like art, I am not sure I understand what it should be.

Or should it be whatever I want?

Does a poem have to rhyme? Is a loose collection of words considered poetry or a really short story.

It came up so I figured we could talk about it. :dance:

This is dictionary.com's definition

po·et·ry
–noun 1.the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts. 2.literary work in metrical form; verse. 3.prose with poetic qualities. 4.poetic qualities however manifested: the poetry of simple acts and things. 5.poetic spirit or feeling: The pianist played the prelude with poetry. 6.something suggestive of or likened to poetry: the pure poetry of a beautiful view on a clear day.

Frunobulax
06-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Then I've not been writing poetry! CONUNDRUM!

Matt
06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
:lol:

I don't think I have either so you are not alone.

Frunobulax
06-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Phew. Let's band together and write our anti-poetry!

Odetta
06-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I think of poetry as musical lyrics.

The_Nameless
06-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Phew. Let's band together and write our anti-poetry!

Could I possibly join you two?
Because, out of everything I write and have written, only a few can be considered poems.

Matt
06-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Sure Nameless :cool:

I always figured it was too easy to rhyme the entire thing, but maybe the point is that it rhymes, but in a way you don't expect.

I have never been able to figure it out.

Frunobulax
06-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Having a set scheme inhibits me for some reason.
And of course you can join the Crew, Daniel!

Matt
06-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Well, I do applaud people who have the ability to create art through poetry. Because regardless of what I think it is, good poetry just flows. You really know it when you read it I think.

For instance, a few poems posted out here have actually moved me in one way or another. Reading them is what made me realize the question. I believe it is probably like writing, or being musical...its just there and unexplained. Just good.

OchrisO
06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't even pretend to know what poetry is. I just write stuff and pretend it is poetry most of the time.

Frunobulax
06-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Good outlook, Chris.

The_Nameless
06-06-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't even pretend to know what poetry is. I just write stuff and pretend it is poetry most of the time.

:rofl:
Yeah, that's me, too. I call it poetry, but it doesn't make it so.

Sure Nameless

And of course you can join the Crew, Daniel!

Sweet! Now I am part of the Non-Poets Society!

Well, I do applaud people who have the ability to create art through poetry. Because regardless of what I think it is, good poetry just flows. You really know it when you read it I think.
I believe it is probably like writing, or being musical...its just there and unexplained. Just good.

This is pretty much what I think poetry is. Well, I think traditionally poetry is what was defined up there, but I've never been one to do things the traditional way.

I write how I write. I have been writing this way since I started writing; I am not sure I can stop it now. Of course I could start writing rhyming poems, with verse and whatnot, but it won't take over my style. I just write what comes to me; it comes to my thoughts, then I transfer these thoughts to paper through my pen, sometimes computer screen with keyboard.

Jean
06-06-2007, 10:50 PM
the word poetry can, as everyone understands and dictionary.com's definitions show, mean just about anything. There's poetry in sunset or in a well-cooked dinner; all Bradbury's stories are sheer poetry, and so are Letti's stories, - it doesn't prevent them being written in prose, as opposed to verse. There is, on the other hand, lots of what technically should be called verse, written quite traditionally, which have nothing in common with poetry.

Letti
06-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Poetry is one of the nicest windows of the soul.

Jon
06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
If you REALLY look at the Dictionary.com definition it is really quite vague. ( look at definition #3)

To me..poetry is a controlled release.

Frunobulax
06-12-2007, 10:50 PM
The entire English language is confusing, Jon.

Jon
06-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Aye...it is like a beautiful woman.

Jean
06-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Aye...it is like a beautiful woman.
Oh. So, does it mean my unbearable itch to learn languages is an act of sublimation, caused by my being faithful to my wife for 15 years?

Frunobulax
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Seeing as I've always been single, I would not know about that.

Jon
06-12-2007, 11:16 PM
yes jean...*chuckle* that is it.

Or perhaps it is an infectious disease we were given as we looked at women from afar when we were but shy boys.